1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

treadman

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby treadman » Sat May 04, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Spoiler:
They're walking off the frame! The next newpix must be the last one1.

1. Merely a Cult-of-Doom-style humorous comment.
Last edited by treadman on Mon May 06, 2013 4:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Sat May 04, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

astrocub wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
astrocub wrote:
Exodies wrote:We could start a new tradition, a cult of doom - after each ONG someone must throw in a theory about why this is proberly the last Frame.

AluisioASG wrote:Wait for him.

He looks like he's about to drop dead. Probably a brain-eating amoeba from the water they're drinking. This must be the end of Cueball.

Are you sure you're not overanalyzing him?

Yes. He's definitely dead.

I laughed considerably more at that than I should have.

Well played astrocub.
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

htom

Postby htom » Sat May 04, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Post -coma mayo¹:

Exodies wrote:
HarpyRotter wrote:I want to know this. Why has it been assumed that the pix filenames are hashes of anything? In my view, they are simply random strings.

Because the sequence number needs to be retrieved from the name. Could be done by look-up, but that wouldn't be the simplest solution. We have to follow Occam you know.
(and many, many other responses)

That's funny, when I apply Occam's razor I come to the opposite conclusion: just generate a random 256-bit number and keep track of that (database, flat text, whatever; just a couple of lines of code in any decent scripting language), and the most obvious way to put that in a filename/URL is using hex.
If it were somehow a hash of the sequence number, it'd have become a huge mess when frames began to run out of sync, and three frames had to be retired: that'd invalidate all hashes of future newpix.

The hash would be of the sequence number, it's not a hash of the image. To retire an image, overwrite it. That's what happened with the three "lost" images. Oh, no, it didn't. So maybe he's just stepping through a random number generator. You've got the three "lost" numbers in the sequence, but that doesn't matter, you generate a new one for the next, and remember the old "used" numbers in the sequence they're used.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sat May 04, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

Halfway through my trek of today. Page 359/528 - 169 pages behind, 10 pages of progress!

- Events -

Saw another freakpost:

Spoiler:

Complete with instructions of how to make my avatar appear in my signature. I've gotta try that!

I like looking at these. Gives a sense of synchronicity. Latent reaches his 100th post as I see he just had reached his 300th one:
Spoiler:

I've also seen it, weird code appearing in people's signatures and other posts. Didn't know what was it about. I'm introduced to ROT13. And I can finally read them! What happens next:

Spoiler:
By decoding this message, you are now a sworn member of the Temporal Illuminati and must swear to uphold the bylaws.

1. The Temporal Illuminati do not exist
2. No really, they don't
3. Now that is clear, our goal is world domination!
4. But that is only if they actually existed.
5. We promise, really. *wink*

I'm now part of a nonexistant organization? I feel entrapment!

People latter on go crazy with it, with pages full of encoded messages. Some had people traveling to the past to edit them and add an English translation for them. And I was like, "but by this point, BlitzGirl will have been able to decode them!" Only later I realized they were put there because decoding takes time :o

And then, people started posting messages I couldn't decode with ROT13:

Spoiler:
macraw83 wrote:V uaie earlpgeq raph cuaeaptrr ia ghvs mrsfate ia Eog-13 oae tvmr zoee tuaa ghr crrvvohs cuaeaptrr. I wbnqee uoj yoag ig'yl tnkr fozebnr go cntph oa...

chem1190c wrote:C nbche qy mbiofx uff mqcnwb ni LIN20. Nbun mbiofx guey cn gowb yumcyl ni ziffiq nbcm xcmwommcih

Purplepants77 wrote:Teipkl gnmr, bht V cnuthg oa. Loh Cnnaog fboy mr!

macraw83 wrote:Vftb bkst... jvpj suipp rgit rrj? Mjms vbsymawovh agascfxjx pjc nrsc vfvltlqcc vulrl ywc-t, kwuiw c ep shf lrike xp fus syskuxpbp wjvkms apn dfewcw.

Rdvt: Nvnwa'q

o_O

Then this happened this will happen once I catch up to Apr 19, 2013 6:11 pm (message sent back in time)
Spoiler:
Valiant Cookie wrote:As Pope I bestow unto anyone that reads these words as they follow the flow of time towards the future, the position of Archbishop of the Past. You may accept this title and use it's power with a message to your current future, however you must relinquish this title as soon as you reach the most future present, or as soon as you see a post from someone else accepting the title that is after your post accepting the title.

I'm now As soon as I catch up with Apr 19, 2013 6:11 pm, I'll be Archbishop of the Past! A title it seems I'll be losing and gaining, as I read other people gain it, or catch up with this message in the future-past (when I reach page 528.)

When was BlitzGirl?

295 out of 354 pages. Her past self at 219 out of 295 pages.

She also introduces the new term "Questing". Yay, I love trying definitions!

I know.

Questing: On the road to the present, a TimeTraveler Quests. Questing is divided into two parts, blizing (catching up to where one was behind) and treking (continuing on after that point, so that one will reach the present in the future.)

buffygirl catches up with the present! Congrats!

Spoiler:
cmyk wrote:It is a holographic projection of an 8D universe — 3 real spacial dimensions and 1 of time / 3 imaginary spacial dimensions with a likewise imaginary dimension of time.

This is now my new canon. If only because I imagine if you turn the 8D sideways, you see the face of God Randall.

MILESTONE: I see Blitzgirl catching up with the Blitzgirl catching up with her first Singpost! Reaching the third level of recursion (from her perspective) and fourth level of recursion! (from mine).

She also begins to be disturbed by all the talk about her.

Spoiler:
airdrik wrote:May the newpages ahead be filled with wonders worth waiting for.

:)

Spoiler:
Exodies wrote:Reality stops at Frame 19. After that we enter Megan's dream. She dreams that she wakes up, shakes sandman dust from her eyes and the nightmare of frantic activity taking place at glacial speed together with absurd conversations which have become our waking lives plays itself out. We can't figure anything out because it's a sleep induced hallucination.

But that would be kind of lame...

Inception Spoilers
Spoiler:
Like Inception where the guy just dreamed the whole movie, woke up in a plane (from where he meet all the people in his dream), and went to visit his kids.

I'd rather this be fictitiously really happening.

kryton gives away his Space Pope powers!? Begins a contest of the best yo mamma joke? Only manvandmaan participates?

Is manvandmaan our new Space Pope??

Also, it seems I had detected a Paradox!

Spoiler:
silent_death wrote:
Angelastic wrote:BlitzGirl! :D BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl? Blitzgirl, Blitz? Girl. :) BlitzGirl BlitzGirl.

BlitzGirl wrote:BlitzGirl BlitzGirl! Buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo had had sustainable BlitzGirl Time time! :P

---
Blitzgirl!!! Blitzgirl Blitzgirl Blitzgirl Blitzgirl...Blitzgirl? Blitzgirl! ...Blitzgirl? Blitzgirl Time! Time time time! Blitzgirl blitzgirl Blitzgirl!!! Time? time! Time! Buffalo buffalo buffalo time time Blitzgirl !

If BlitzGirl will-had never say that, we may have our first imploding singularity!

And finally, Content Worth Replay:

Spoiler:

Jafloi created a big poll to ask what a representative frame of the whole comic would be, and Timeframe 1 won, and then we got this:
Spoiler:

cmky then got the title of Chronomancer for this:

Spoiler:

There it is, all the frames I've watched so far!

Apr 18, 2013 8:16 pm - 15 days, 11 hours, 55 minutes behind.

Progress on my way to the Big Bang:

9985 BC - Ice withdraws, Clovis culture, people settling into permanent locations, domestic reindeer

Whoa! 4882 years of progress.

And away I go, forward into the past!

Spoiler:
Did it work? - My avatar should be below:
Last edited by Vytron on Sat May 04, 2013 3:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sat May 04, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

Back to the present!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
My madspace
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

I would like to request that everyone who has a wall of replies after a ketchup put the wall inside a spoiler so I don't have to scroll down as much. It's starting to get on my nerves a bit.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

treadman

Postby treadman » Sat May 04, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:I would like to request that everyone who has a wall of replies after a ketchup put the wall inside a spoiler so I don't have to scroll down as much. It's starting to get on my nerves a bit.

[ketchup]

Spoiler:
Wait for it.:D
[/ketchup]

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat May 04, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

A couple of Firstposts to throw to the front. There are others, skipped not for lack of worth, but lack of effort on my part. I want to say, if you posted once, and got no response, try again, especially if you joined during the fading as that would have been an easy time to be overlooked.
Spoiler:
gkar56 wrote:Hello, I have lurked for ages here, finally logged on, and I don't have anything witty to say. :oops: I hope it is ok to quote Star Trek?

“Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey — reminds us to cherish every moment because they’ll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we’ve lived. After all, Number One, we’re only mortal.” (Captain Jean-Luc Picard)

Zomba wrote:The conclusion (?) makes me sad :( I was hoping that Randall would keep this one going in perpetuity. I've been lurking since day one, since I check xkcd after lunch on M/T/W/F China time. I saw the first frame when it happened, though I apparently missed the last (?)

UnhappyReader wrote:I don't know about the others here, but that was a giant let-down for me. Over a month of literally building up followed by a weekend of fade-out with a tease of the girl dragging something and then a quick-cut to what appears to be a new place and story. It feels like Randall had no idea where he was going with the first book in a series so just gave up on that one and moved on to writing the next book, but not before leaving one more mystery to taunt or torture his audience.

I do hope that those who joined to say goodbye do check back to see that it didn't really end. (At least not yet.)

HAL9000 wrote:I would like to request that everyone who has a wall of replies after a ketchup put the wall inside a spoiler so I don't have to scroll down as much. It's starting to get on my nerves a bit.

Two questions. How much is a wall, and how does spoilering it help? Do you just scroll past, not reading those? If you unspoiler them to read them, don't you have to scroll anyway? In any case, I'll spoiler the Firstposts I've thrown forward above, but I do hope they get read and noticed.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sat May 04, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

Actually, I would prefer the opposite. If a large wall of ketchup appears in a spoiler and I hit the show button to read it, I then have to remember to scroll back up and hide it again before continuing. If I don't hide the spoiler, then when I next refresh the page, the spoiler will be hidden again and my view will be further along the page than before I refreshed, so I have to scroll back up to try and find where I was.
Edit: /[A-Z]*ONG/.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

treadman

Postby treadman » Sat May 04, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

Cueball caught up with and passed Megan! Could that mean something1?

1: Ok. That's a stretch. I'll try to refrain from doomsaying without a bit more to go on.

LankieBlonde

Postby LankieBlonde » Sat May 04, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

May the Fourth be with you all! :D
Spoiler:
riverssong wrote:
riverssong wrote:I WAITED A HALF HOUR FOR ONE DARKENING PIXEL.

AND THEN
I DID IT AGAIN.

lovepirate wrote:Anyone else feel like in the end we'll see sand letters that spell out B-E-S-U-R-E-T-O-D-R-I-N-K-Y-O-U-R-O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E?

Wait for it.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat May 04, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

LankieBlonde wrote:May the Fourth be with you all! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3ROQJ- ... ata_player
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat May 04, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

treadman wrote:Cueball caught up with and passed Megan! Could that mean something1?

1: Ok. That's a stretch. I'll try to refrain from doomsaying without a bit more to go on.

Maybe it is due to parallax.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 04, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:

Actually, I would prefer the opposite. If a large wall of ketchup appears in a spoiler and I hit the show button to read it, I then have to remember to scroll back up and hide it again before continuing. If I don't hide the spoiler, then when I next refresh the page, the spoiler will be hidden again and my view will be further along the page than before I refreshed, so I have to scroll back up to try and find where I was.

What he said. (Smithers, not HAL9000. I hope you're not skipping these post? I'm sorry, Hal, I'm afraid you can't do that.)
If there's long quotes in the posts you're replying to as part of your ketchup, it makes sense to individually spoiler these. But please don't spoiler the whole post, that only helps the skippers, not the readers.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sat May 04, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

Some Ways to Time

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Sat May 04, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Ketchup finished. That was fast... not many people on last night?

Spoiler:
Ted Logdon wrote:Call me technologically impaired, but some of these posts imply there is a way to see past images of "Time".
What am I missing?

Aubronwood.

J-Hammy wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
J-Hammy wrote:I love it when someone makes some general statement about xkcd here, it always brings back random comics.

I've never seen a gorilla in an xkcd comic!

The only mention of gorillas is in the spreadsheet Randall provides for the implementation of his Backward-in-Time program.

WHAAAT!? I didn't know that spreadsheet was there! I have some studying to do. I love this forum!

And all its crazy folks. Boom de yada!

Opiboble wrote:I just had a very twisted idea...

That we put everything in 10 size for a few pages.... just to mess with all that follow us, muahahahahaha.

Thou shalt not mess with the blitzers, or the wrath of the Inquisition shall surely fall upon you.

azule wrote:Prediction: camera turn.

FuturePrediction: Near the end of their journey it will turn meta and we will find some of OTT posters along the way.

Agree with the Prediction. The FuturePrediction... maybe it's just me, but I feel like Randall would only directly acknowledge us if he was giving us the equivalent of "So long, and thanks for all the fish," AKA ending XKCD. So I really hope you're wrong on that prediction.

AluisioASG wrote:
ucim wrote:I just type in the BB code by hand. It consists of:

OpenSquareBracket q u o t e EqualSign DoubleQuoteMark QuotedPerson'sName DoubleQuoteMark CloseSquareBracket TheQuotedText OpenSquareBracket ForwardSlash q u o t e CloseSquareBracket

That's not enterprise-y enough. What if the definition of BBcode changes?
You need to put these in a database.

Needs more XML. Everything's more enterprisey with XML!

treadman wrote:Cueball caught up with and passed Megan! Could that mean something1?

Clearly a parasite from the river is slowly paralyzing Megan, making her movements even slower! Oh noes!
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat May 04, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

GƆŊ
Spoiler:

ninja'd

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat May 04, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

I want a t-shirt. It can say either

I was there at the beginning of Time

This is trivially true for us commenters and lurkers who have followed the OTC since the first few newpix and for any BlitzGirls thereafter but I suggest in the spirit of generous compassion shown throughout the OTT that it be made available to any Time Waiter.

Or
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

I will wait for it to appear in the OTS1, because I choose to support the OTR2, so he can continue the OTC around which winds the OTT.3

StratPlayer wrote:So I think our 'camera' has now pointed from all 4 cardinal points.

I don't think so.
Assuming that the geography is basically rectangular and that we haven't been “cheated” by a curve or turn that wasn't shown to us, and supposing the sea is to the east, we've had the following camera directions:
  • Looking north (sea on the right): all of the Sandcastle Era; plus the scene where they sat down while walking along the sea
  • Looking west (sea behind us): the first part of the walk, along the sea; plus the scenes at the river while standing still, sitting, or messing around.
  • Looking south (sea on the left, river behind (or under) us): walking along the river.
We haven't looked east, toward the sea, yet.

I know the consensus in the OTT is that the we were looking at MegBall from the sea as the journeyed from the sand castle to the river5 but...

I would like to suggest that they traveled inland to the river. As evidence: (1) the ground rose as they traveled (which is unlikely along a coastline unless the physics of their world is a good deal stranger than any of the effects we have seen so far, yes I know about cliffs, see number (2)) and (2) Megan went back along their path to see if the sea7 11had risen.

This does involve some more extreme changes in camera angle than those we've talked about before, but nothing too far out of line.

While I'm at it, nothing says they had to travel inland in a straight line or direction perpendicular to the coastline. Thus the river need not run parallel to the coast and have to turn to get to the sea.13

I can't believe we haven't quoted Wallace and Gromit so far, yet I have lurked every new page and not seen any. True, Gromit isn't quotable and everything Wallace says amounts to
Spoiler:
Cheese!

So I may have missed it.19

I'm not expecting R A Lafferty quotes, mind you, even though The Six Fingers of Time has at least titular connection and the activity of the Nyctalops (spelling?) on the OTT is similar to Slow Tuesday Night.

Okay, I'm done ranting, sorry.

1 One True Store
2 One True Randall
3 There, used up two of the available remaining OTx for you.
5 Which is small
7 Which is big
11 Yes I know there is some dispute on how exactly Megan knew the sea 7 is rising, this is one of many interpretations
13 If they are on an island17, then the river5 doesn't have to turn.
17Which may or may not be rectangular
19 Not it of course, I still wait for it.

Edit: changed Meg ball to MegBall
Edit2: and blitz girls to BlitzGirls
Last edited by ttscp on Sat May 04, 2013 3:08 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
SBN wrote:I just want to add to the combining quotes in replies techniques. The control key is your friend. I tend to use control-Quote to open a new reply, and then combine the replies into one.

Also middle mouse button works in all browsers the same way as ctrl+click.

Edit: Oh and just in case you or anyone else don't know where the middle button is - if your mouse has a scroll wheel then just click the scroll wheel, that's the middle button (maybe some old cheap mouses don't work that way but that's rare, I think). Even after all those years since mouses with scroll wheels were introduced, now and then someone still surprises me by not knowing this function. I guess it's because the same effect you mentioned - everyone knows that so why to tell it to anyone.

But here's the problem - all these short cuts are for things which are already really short - middle click instead of Ctrl-click saves you about a milli second in your whole lifetime. Programmers just seem to be unable to come up with real time savers.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Sat May 04, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

100th post! Next one is my 100th in this thread! Woo!

SBN wrote:
LankieBlonde wrote:May the Fourth be with you all! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3ROQJ- ... ata_player

May the Fourth be with you too! Bring it, Emperor.

Exodies wrote:
NoMouse wrote:
SBN wrote:I just want to add to the combining quotes in replies techniques. The control key is your friend. I tend to use control-Quote to open a new reply, and then combine the replies into one.

Also middle mouse button works in all browsers the same way as ctrl+click.

Edit: Oh and just in case you or anyone else don't know where the middle button is - if your mouse has a scroll wheel then just click the scroll wheel, that's the middle button (maybe some old cheap mouses don't work that way but that's rare, I think). Even after all those years since mouses with scroll wheels were introduced, now and then someone still surprises me by not knowing this function. I guess it's because the same effect you mentioned - everyone knows that so why to tell it to anyone.

But here's the problem - all these short cuts are for things which are already really short - middle click instead of Ctrl-click saves you about a milli second in your whole lifetime. Programmers just seem to be unable to come up with real time savers.

It's probably more a matter of workflow instead of timesaving. I'm a heavy keyboard leopard user so keyboard leopard shortcuts are integral to my workflow, and replacing Ctrl-click with middle-click would hopelessly break all the things. For a heavy mouse user/somebody who doesn't have their keyboard leopard layout memorized, Ctrl-click would break their layout, but middle-click saves time.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sat May 04, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:But here's the problem - all these short cuts are for things which are already really short - middle click instead of Ctrl-click saves you about a milli second in your whole lifetime. Programmers just seem to be unable to come up with real time savers.

Really? Do you think 1000+ people all over the world could have had this conversation without programmers? My Grandmother and her siblings carried on a Round-Robin letter for many years, each one writing a letter, and adding it to the stack of letters from the other siblings, and mailing the stack to the next one. Next time around, they would remove their previous letter and write a new one. That was 12 people, and a round took several weeks. And, they didn't need any mechanism for bringing in new members. (Though, eventually members did leave, of course.)

Some Ways to Time

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat May 04, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

Welp, I am back from a long Coma, and the outside is doing strange things... it is snowing, and not just I am going to melt on the ground snow, but I am going to stick, and I am now at 1 inch and still snowing. Thank goodness for the OTC and it's lack of snow :D
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 04, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:So I think our 'camera' has now pointed from all 4 cardinal points.

I don't think so.
Assuming that the geography is basically rectangular and that we haven't been “cheated” by a curve or turn that wasn't shown to us, and supposing the sea is to the east, we've had the following camera directions:
  • Looking north (sea on the right): all of the Sandcastle Era; plus the scene where they sat down while walking along the sea
  • Looking west (sea behind us): the first part of the walk, along the sea; plus the scenes at the river while standing still, sitting, or messing around.
  • Looking south (sea on the left, river behind (or under) us): walking along the river.
We haven't looked east, toward the sea, yet.

I know the consensus in the OTT is that the we were looking at MegBall from the sea as the journeyed from the sand castle to the river5 but...

I would like to suggest that they traveled inland to the river. As evidence: (1) the ground rose as they traveled (which is unlikely along a coastline unless the physics of their world is a good deal stranger than any of the effects we have seen so far, yes I know about cliffs, see number (2)) and (2) Megan went back along their path to see if the sea7 11had risen.

But then how do you explain that they sat down facing the sea, after walking for quite a while?
Spoiler:
(Yes, it's definitely the sea, it rose while they were sitting there.)

ttscp wrote:This does involve some more extreme changes in camera angle than those we've talked about before, but nothing too far out of line.

While I'm at it, nothing says they had to travel inland in a straight line or direction perpendicular to the coastline. Thus the river need not run parallel to the coast and have to turn to get to the sea.13

Well, if we don't assume straight lines and right angles, then all bets are off: almost every frame could be a new angle, and we have no idea where they are.

ttscp wrote:I can't believe we haven't quoted Wallace and Gromit so far, yet I have lurked every new page and not seen any. True, Gromit isn't quotable and everything Wallace says amounts to
Spoiler:
Cheese!

So I may have missed it.

I do like a bit of Gorgonzola!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

htom wrote:

Exodies wrote:
HarpyRotter wrote:I want to know this. Why has it been assumed that the pix filenames are hashes of anything? In my view, they are simply random strings.

Because the sequence number needs to be retrieved from the name. Could be done by look-up, but that wouldn't be the simplest solution. We have to follow Occam you know.

That's funny, when I apply Occam's razor I come to the opposite conclusion: just generate a random 256-bit number and keep track of that (database, flat text, whatever; just a couple of lines of code in any decent scripting language), and the most obvious way to put that in a filename/URL is using hex.
If it were somehow a hash of the sequence number, it'd have become a huge mess when frames began to run out of sync, and three frames had to be retired: that'd invalidate all hashes of future newpix.

The hash would be of the sequence number, it's not a hash of the image. To retire an image, overwrite it. That's what happened with the three "lost" images. Oh, no, it didn't. So maybe he's just stepping through a random number generator. You've got the three "lost" numbers in the sequence, but that doesn't matter, you generate a new one for the next, and remember the old "used" numbers in the sequence they're used.

Don't forget the distributed delivery system. All the servers have to be able to retrieve the next image at the sound of the Dong. Distribute the lookup database? Messy. They just keep track of the frame number and run it through an algorithm to get the file name. Occam is surely with me on this. You can't ignore reality.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat May 04, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

But then how do you explain that they sat down facing the sea, after walking for quite a while?
Spoiler:

Curved path?
That's what I get for being in a haste to post and not fact checking. I'll have to go back and check. Did we see the sea rise, or did they just comment on it?

I do like a bit of Gorgonzola!

Gromit, that's it! Cheese! We'll go somewhere where there's cheese!
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat May 04, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:I'm not expecting R A Lafferty quotes, mind you, even though The Six Fingers of Time has at least titular connection and the activity of the Nyctalops (spelling?) on the OTT is similar to Slow Tuesday Night.

By Randall, that was it! Happyninja'd/saveninja'd again. Back when Opiboble was posting everything in teeny-tiny text, there was a phrase tickling the back of my mind I could never bring forward. It was from a Lafferty:

Tittering little obscenities (from "Thieving Bear Planet").
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sat May 04, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:100th post! Next one is my 100th in this thread! Woo!

Yay! :D
My madspace
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sat May 04, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:You can't ignore reality.

I think we've been doing exactly that for quite a while now. *Looks around at all the reality that has piled up, goes back to Waiting.*

Some Ways to Time

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Smithers wrote:

What he said. (Smithers, not HAL9000. I hope you're not skipping these post? I'm sorry, Hal, I'm afraid you can't do that.)
If there's long quotes in the posts you're replying to as part of your ketchup, it makes sense to individually spoiler these. But please don't spoiler the whole post, that only helps the skippers, not the readers.

That's a good point, and not one I had noticed until now. It's really just me being obsessive and nitpicky.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 04, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
Spoiler:
htom wrote:

Exodies wrote:

Don't forget the distributed delivery system. All the servers have to be able to retrieve the next image at the sound of the Dong. Distribute the lookup database? Messy. They just keep track of the frame number and run it through an algorithm to get the file name. Occam is surely with me on this. You can't ignore reality.

The "lookup database" is probably just a single file (text, Berkeley DB, sqlite, ...), so that's no problem. Certainly not messier than keeping track of the current frame number and hoping it doesn't get out of sync on the different servers. (And we know some of them have been unresponsive for a while.)
We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is. :)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sat May 04, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
mscha wrote:I do like a bit of Gorgonzola!

Cueball looks in his bag, then shouts "The crackers! Megan; we forgot the crackers!"
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Exodies wrote:But here's the problem - all these short cuts are for things which are already really short - middle click instead of Ctrl-click saves you about a milli second in your whole lifetime. Programmers just seem to be unable to come up with real time savers.

Really? Do you think 1000+ people all over the world could have had this conversation without programmers? My Grandmother and her siblings carried on a Round-Robin letter for many years, each one writing a letter, and adding it to the stack of letters from the other siblings, and mailing the stack to the next one. Next time around, they would remove their previous letter and write a new one. That was 12 people, and a round took several weeks. And, they didn't need any mechanism for bringing in new members. (Though, eventually members did leave, of course.)

I totally agree, programmers can massively waste our time. They are incapable of saving it.

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Sat May 04, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

Came across this post while post-coma-Blitzing,
pelrigg wrote:Doesn't hitting "Quote" at the top open a "reply'" box? One that the only way out of seems to be submit? There's no cancel.
My brain might be getting fuzzy here.

and I didn't find that anyone has replied (sorry if I overlooked something), so I will. I know what you mean, I have also wondered why there's no Cancel button, but what keeps you from simply hitting Back in your browser? The post will not have been created yet this way. Also, what I usually do is open my reply in a new tab (ctrl + click on "Quote") and then when I decide not to post it after all (or want to close it because I opened multiple tabs and want to merge them all to one reply), I simply close the tab.
I've been wondering why there are some empty-except-"wanted to hit Edit, clicked Quote instead" posts in this thread, is this the reason? That people think they're stuck on the posting page because there's no Cancel button and thus have to write something in their post?

Also, on the topic of spoilering in ketchup posts,
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
Smithers wrote:

I agree with mscha and Smithers.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sat May 04, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
ttscp wrote:

Cueball looks in his bag, then shouts "The crackers! Megan; we forgot the crackers!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My madspace

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat May 04, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:That's a good point, and not one I had noticed until now. It's really just me being obsessive and nitpicky.

You? Obsessive and nitpicky? (Checks HAL9000's post count.) Nah.

I think the OTT has turned us all (certainly me) into obsessive and nitpicky.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sat May 04, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

And my treking is done for today. Page 370/529 - 159 pages behind. Took 25 minutes more than expected, so, Target Date is recalculated to May 12 10:00 AM UTC (+-200 minutes)

LANDMARK: Reached the very first TimeFrame that I hadn't seen. And all the TimeFrames seen have been new. Sadly, there's nothing interesting to report on them D:

Passed through the Pope-Newpix or something. As of now the past, I'm was an ArchBishop of Time.

Passed page 360. There wasn't any cake, is this a reference to Portal or something? :(

In case Jafloi is still taking votes: I vote for 404!

Also, important message from the future:

HAL9000> To those about to post a wall of replies: {spoiler}Spoiler it please.{/spoiler}

Oh, whoops! Sorry about that. *Edits previous post to spoilerify it.*

Though, I don't get it. When I read such a post that has been spoilerified, I have to click each spoiler to get context, which actually takes more time to do than just scrolling. Is it because of the huge quote boxes? Because then, I'll try this smaller blue dark-colored text. Seems to use less space than if I spoilered your quote, and doesn't require clicking to read.

Eliram mentions: TIME / ALAN PARSONS PROJECT. Awesome! That's actually the very first song that crossed my mind when people started posting Time-related songs. It makes me feel kind of old that it took so long to be mentioned.

VeloCityGirl> Show of hands, who is old enough to remember when this song came out and have an emotional memory attached to it?

I wasn't born yet, but still love it!

Another Crowning Moment of Funny:

Eliram> On another note, I found another song about time, river etc. TIME AND THE RIVER - NAT KING COLE

Spoiler:
The lyrics are boring, really. Google them if you insist.

XD

Caswallon posts decoding of garbled messages. Thank you! Unfortunately, they all were self-referencing about their own code. More were posted, will not bother. Creating own code for messages instead of using ROT13 should be heretic! (as ArchBishop of Time, can I do things like that?)

Read two more SignPosts by BlitzGirl:

310 out of 363 pages. 229 out of 309 pages. 100 out of 229 pages.
314 out of 364 pages. 243 out of 312 pages. 126 out of 243 pages.

Apr 20, 2013 12:39 am - 15 Days, 1 hour 57 minutes behind (to be caught in ~8 days)

Quest to the Big Bang:

21,000 years ago
Nets, dogs domesticated, recent glacial period starts, Neanderthals go extinct, wall paintings, Japan colonized
9002 OVER NINE THOUSAAAND years of progress.

BlitzGirl wrote:The river is small!

The sea is big!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Sat May 04, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

100th post in this thread! Yay!

With regard to hashing/lookup tables/randomization for the image filenames, my bet is on a hash algorithm which uses some combination of the image data, the image path, and the image's Newpix count (yes, I think Randall might honestly be calculating the intended release time for each image. I'd be shocked if he didn't salt the hash somehow, and the file create/modify fields are out of the question since he's changed many of them.)

HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:
Smithers wrote:

That's a good point, and not one I had noticed until now. It's really just me being obsessive and nitpicky.

It can only be attributed to human error.

Although if we're spoilering each reply, wouldn't that be a bigger pain since now readers have to open half-a-dozen spoilers instead of one?

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 04, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
Spoiler:

Curved path?
That's what I get for being in a haste to post and not fact checking. I'll have to go back and check. Did we see the sea rise, or did they just comment on it?

It rose by about a pixel in 3 newpix.
Spoiler:

ttscp wrote:

Everybody knows the sea is made of cheese.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
Spoiler:
100th post in this thread! Yay!

With regard to hashing/lookup tables/randomization for the image filenames, my bet is on a hash algorithm which uses some combination of the image data, the image path, and the image's Newpix count (yes, I think Randall might honestly be calculating the intended release time for each image. I'd be shocked if he didn't salt the hash somehow, and the file create/modify fields are out of the question since he's changed many of them.)

HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:
Smithers wrote:

Although if we're spoilering each reply, wouldn't that be a bigger pain since now readers have to open half-a-dozen spoilers instead of one?

That's true. Though the topic-based sort (pioneered by Blitzgirl) is nice.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 04, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:With regard to hashing/lookup tables/randomization for the image filenames, my bet is on a hash algorithm which uses some combination of the image data, the image path, and the image's Newpix count (yes, I think Randall might honestly be calculating the intended release time for each image. I'd be shocked if he didn't salt the hash somehow, and the file create/modify fields are out of the question since he's changed many of them.)

Image data changed as well in some cases, so that's out as well.

PhoenixRising wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:
Smithers wrote:

I try to spoiler only the ‘optional’ material, which you only have to open if you don't remember the discussion from before. And if I'm on the other side, I might open the spoiler briefly to remind myself of what's it all about, and then I'll close it again.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”