1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Exodies

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Sun May 05, 2013 7:17 am UTC

Smithers wrote:I think the chart is dividing up the journey era too finely. The fake loop was too short for a period; the mustard period has been removed from Time and therefore never happened.

So, the Mustard Halucination Period?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun May 05, 2013 7:22 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
Smithers wrote:I think the chart is dividing up the journey era too finely. The fake loop was too short for a period; the mustard period has been removed from Time and therefore never happened.

So, the Mustard Halucination Period?

The mustard retcon period, you mean. They're hiding it from us, it's all a government conspiracy! REMEMBER THE MUSTARD! Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 05, 2013 7:34 am UTC

The mustard is still there, it's just hiding.

AS IT SHOULD SINCE IT'S HERETICAL
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun May 05, 2013 7:42 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Hey, we gotta welcome the newbies. The colorized frame I reuploaded (I forget who uploaded it initially) was around before the inquisition existed, so it should be grandfathered in.
I think that colorized representations of One True Frames can be awesome - demonstrated already by the recent ones. They are not heresy at all; they are an artistic comment, much like the twenty thousand literary comments we have been making here. Strictly speaking they could all be considered unnecessary, as the frames speak for themselves, but they do add the necessary space between the frames which allow the One True Comic to be experienced even after the time of Time. So, they really are necessary, and the colorized frames are more than welcome.

Thus speaketh the Pope of the Holy Contradiction.

katacombe wrote:...because Time flies
You can't. They move too fast.

VoronX, speaking from more or less the present wrote: If we postulate that the Sea1 is to the east, and the camera faces north, and postulating movement in straight perpendicular lines (though it's probably not particularly accurate)...
Where I live, the roads are not completely straight, but I modeled them in my head as if they were. For many years, there was an entire quadrant of town that was a complete mystery to me how it could even exist, and how it connected with anything. It was essentially in hyperspace for all intents and purposes, though I traveled through it often. It turns out that the roads curved somewhat, the curve was not taken into account in my mental model, and that opened a rift in the space-time continuum where another chunk of town could be hidden! So, I would be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there.

Wait a minute... VoronX, speaking from more or less the present??? You're here??? You're here!!! Now there must be a coronation. There are two BlitzGirl the Nexts! Sound the trumpets! Summon the Court! BlitzGirl - will you be the speaker of honor?

Or was that Vytron? It's confusing being the Pope of the Holy Contradiction. No matter, there must still be a coronation, as PhoenixRising has not been properly commemorated yet.

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Sun May 05, 2013 7:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun May 05, 2013 7:44 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The mustard is still there, it's just hiding.

What did the mustard ever do, huh? It's not the mustard's fault it was there! We all know Randall makes no mistakes, thus the mustard is as legitimate as Megan or Cueball! Just because it was retroactively removed doesn't mean it should be abused like that, cast out as if it had done something wrong! I say we give mustard back its rights! No more heretical mustard! No more heretical mustard!

That being said, it's about time I collapse on a fibrous mass in a rectangular prism shape, fall into a coma, and hallucinate for 8 or 9 hours. Then I'll return to consciousness and forget about it all. Just another typical night.

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun May 05, 2013 7:46 am UTC

The mustard evaporated. I hope Megball will survive.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Sun May 05, 2013 7:51 am UTC

ucim wrote:I would be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there.

It's been a long time since I changed my sig, but I think that does it.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 05, 2013 7:52 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:The mustard is still there, it's just hiding.

What did the mustard ever do, huh? It's not the mustard's fault it was there! We all know Randall makes no mistakes, thus the mustard is as legitimate as Megan or Cueball! Just because it was retroactively removed doesn't mean it should be abused like that, cast out as if it had done something wrong! I say we give mustard back its rights! No more heretical mustard! No more heretical mustard! <snip>

The mustard distracted from the narrative of the One True Comic by remaining static while the terrain and Cuegan both moved! And look, how we all spent TimeFrames and TimeFrames discussing something that WAS NOT MEANT TO BE by the great Lord Randall! It was supposed to be another contemplative journey period, but nooo, we got mustard all over it. :(

To me it was as blatantly wrong as if seizure-gif appeared in the upper right corner of the next newpix. Which, I think we all agree, would be heretical.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun May 05, 2013 8:01 am UTC

Another avatar for someone who didn't ask for it. This one is for bighaben.
bighaben.png
Big Ben, beefeater, and coins.
bighaben.png (29.45 KiB) Viewed 15436 times

I hope you like it. Sorry, since you didn't have an av to start with, I went with your name (seemed like "Big Ben"), and a comment about collecting payment in a nearby hat. Here ya go.
I hope he doesn't disappear on me. Come back, ben!

htom wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:It's time for another tale. A firefox tail. ;)
<snip/>
One of the great joys of the OTT are the scattered bits of pure creative happiness scattered throughout. Thank you for telling Ffoxy's tale, Azule, I hope there are more.

I am a bit scattered. This makes sense. TY/YW. *can't figure it out* I am encouraged further. We will have to wait for it, though. ;)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun May 05, 2013 8:05 am UTC

Badabing, badabONG!
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Sun May 05, 2013 8:09 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Badabing, badabONG!

Prediction: Next frame is all river..... Huge river... I'm suddenly thinking Nile.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Sun May 05, 2013 8:17 am UTC

My time for Time has been minimal for a few outsider "days", and I find myself drifting even further into the past, despite moving forward. My respect for BlitzGirl increases every time I click "Next page" and find the One True Thread is expanding faster than I am reading.

I don't at this point know when I will return to the present, but it is still a goal..
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun May 05, 2013 8:29 am UTC

katakombe wrote:i re-read the interview with randall from six years ago, and one answer stuck out to me:

<snip>Maybe one day we'll wake up<snip>

<snip>

Until then, we'll - wait for it

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun May 05, 2013 8:41 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:Hey, we gotta welcome the newbies. The colorized frame I reuploaded (I forget who uploaded it initially) was around before the inquisition existed, so it should be grandfathered in.
I think that colorized representations of One True Frames can be awesome - demonstrated already by the recent ones. They are not heresy at all; they are an artistic comment, much like the twenty thousand literary comments we have been making here. Strictly speaking they could all be considered unnecessary, as the frames speak for themselves, but they do add the necessary space between the frames which allow the One True Comic to be experienced even after the time of Time. So, they really are necessary, and the colorized frames are more than welcome.

Thus speaketh the Pope of the Holy Contradiction.

katacombe wrote:...because Time flies
You can't. They move too fast.

VoronX, speaking from more or less the present wrote: If we postulate that the Sea1 is to the east, and the camera faces north, and postulating movement in straight perpendicular lines (though it's probably not particularly accurate)...
Where I live, the roads are not completely straight, but I modeled uthem in my head as if they were. For many years, there was an entire quadrant of town that was a complete mystery to me how it could even exist, and how it connected with anything. It was essentially in hyperspace for all intents and purposes, though I traveled through it often. It turns out that the roads curved somewhat, the curve was not taken into account in my mental model, and that opened a rift in the space-time continuum where another chunk of town could be hidden! So, I would be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there.

Spoiler:
Wait a minute... VoronX, speaking from more or less the present??? You're here??? You're here!!! Now there must be a coronation. There are two BlitzGirl the Nexts! Sound the trumpets! Summon the Court! BlitzGirl - will you be the speaker of honor?

Or was that Vytron? It's confusing being the Pope of the Holy Contradiction. No matter, there must still be a coronation, as PhoenixRising has not been properly commemorated yet.

Jose

I have a similar region of Paris, between the Opera and the Louvre. It's impossible to make a beeline from one to t'other.
But Luxembourg takes the biscuit, it's a 3-d town that MC Escher would have difficulties drawing.

We learned something this week. What an optogram is.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sun May 05, 2013 9:01 am UTC

CurrawONG!

Oops missed the http
Last edited by Eternal Density on Sun May 05, 2013 9:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 05, 2013 9:01 am UTC

Since RobIrr is currently wandering the past (not for long, hopefully!) I'll bump the "let's see where everybody is from" mapthingy again:

It's up to number 36 on the site's top daily list!

Looks more like a FAILONG to me, Eternal Density... :wink:
Edit: Okay, so the fail wasn't very long at all!
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sun May 05, 2013 9:16 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun May 05, 2013 9:02 am UTC

ALMOSTGONG
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun May 05, 2013 9:04 am UTC

Ooh, now the island in the middle is very thin. Soon, it'll be gone!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 05, 2013 9:05 am UTC

Another 300-post celebration! Congrats, tman2nd! :D Have some cake:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun May 05, 2013 9:11 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Another 300-post celebration! Congrats, tman2nd! :D Have some cake:
Spoiler:

Oh! It is! Thank you! :D
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 9:14 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Another 300-post celebration! Congrats, tman2nd! :D Have some cake:
Spoiler:

So is this the official 300th post cake?

Should it not perhaps be something more like this?
Spoiler:
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 05, 2013 9:20 am UTC

That is an epic cake, suitable for all 300-type occasions! Can we eat them both? :D The River cake was meant to be more commemorative of this Period of Time, and was used to also celebrate a 100th posterversary a few newpages back, so it's not exactly a 300th-post-specific cake like that one.

(What I'm saying is that I want to eat them both.)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 9:22 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:That is an epic cake, suitable for all 300-type occasions! Can we eat them both? :D The River cake was meant to be more commemorative of this Period of Time, and was used to also celebrate a 100th posterversary a few newpages back, so it's not exactly a 300th-post-specific cake like that one.

I've no problem with eating both. Let me fetch some paper plates.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun May 05, 2013 9:34 am UTC

descor wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:That is an epic cake, suitable for all 300-type occasions! Can we eat them both? :D The River cake was meant to be more commemorative of this Period of Time, and was used to also celebrate a 100th posterversary a few newpages back, so it's not exactly a 300th-post-specific cake like that one.

I'll get the forks.
Spoiler:

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Sun May 05, 2013 9:43 am UTC

Caswallon wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Badabing, badabONG!
*snipped image*

Prediction: Next frame is all river..... Huge river... I'm suddenly thinking Nile.

No, no, that can't be true!!! OK, I'm in de-...
Last edited by Eoink on Sun May 05, 2013 9:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 9:46 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:
descor wrote:

I'll get the forks.
Spoiler:

*collective groan from all assembled*

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 05, 2013 9:48 am UTC

Eoink wrote:
Caswallon wrote:Prediction: Next frame is all river..... Huge river... I'm suddenly thinking Nile.

Decatur?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 9:52 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Eoink wrote:
Caswallon wrote:Prediction: Next frame is all river..... Huge river... I'm suddenly thinking Nile.

Decatur?

Denmark?

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 05, 2013 10:00 am UTC

Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sun May 05, 2013 10:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun May 05, 2013 10:01 am UTC

What happened, did the river rise or the island sink?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 05, 2013 10:04 am UTC

The island did not sink, we just reached the handle of the River fork. I refer you to ChronosDragon's useful animation:
ChronosDragon wrote:For anyone still confused about what is going on with the camera, I've created this helpful animation which may shed some light on the situation. It's not particularly accurate to the landscape, but it gets the point across I hope :)

[warning - large filesize, may be slow to load]
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun May 05, 2013 10:06 am UTC

Nice, big river. How far away is the other bank? Probably not that much longer.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 10:07 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The island did not sink, we just reached the handle of the River fork. I refer you to ChronosDragon's useful animation:
ChronosDragon wrote:For anyone still confused about what is going on with the camera, I've created this helpful animation which may shed some light on the situation. It's not particularly accurate to the landscape, but it gets the point across I hope :)

[warning - large filesize, may be slow to load]
Spoiler:

So now we have a scientific prediction from our hypothesised fork. We should see the river narrow in the coming TimeFrames.

We have truly entered the Enlightenment!

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sun May 05, 2013 10:11 am UTC

Ooooh, a River Cake and a Hat Cake! Hopefully neither is small ;)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 05, 2013 10:18 am UTC

Clearly the coming together of the Rivers is a metaphor.

Somebody's getting lucky right about now...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 10:22 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Clearly the coming together of the Rivers is a metaphor.

Somebody's getting lucky right about now...

Or maybe it's a divine message from Lord Randall that Loopists, Loopiests, Numerologists, Infinitiests and Alltheotherists should put aside their petty squabbles and unite in harmony and rejoice in the OTC?

Clearly I am not getting lucky right now :roll:

ETA:
4 members and 16 guests - a new record low?

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Sun May 05, 2013 10:24 am UTC

Spoiler:

Oooh, I'm so far from the 300 posts... How much of a cake can I get with 100?
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 10:28 am UTC

Pikrass wrote:
Spoiler:

Oooh, I'm so far from the 300 posts... How much of a cake can I get with 100?

100 posts does deserve some cake I guess *shrugs nonchalantly*, but the main prize is you get to use the word penis in your post a la Helper.

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun May 05, 2013 11:07 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:ALMOSTGONG

Where did they get those pogo sticks from?

And...

Why are they looking for a ford rather than a bridge? At least in the 20/21thst century fords will be way upriver compared to bridges.
Last edited by Exodies on Sun May 05, 2013 11:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun May 05, 2013 11:09 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:
descor wrote:

I'll get the forks.
Spoiler:

As Cueball would say "when you come to a fork in the river, take it"

EDIT to say: stuff your paper plates, /me lays out the best crockery
Last edited by Exodies on Sun May 05, 2013 11:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”