1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Pikrass

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Pikrass » Sun May 05, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
TheMinim wrote:
Pikrass wrote:Is the camera shifting to the right, or the river expanding to the left?

Could be either. Or both. Or cake, I suppose.

Indeed, cake holds explanatory power over many of the events of the comic. Why are M&C building castles? Where do they come from? Who is LaPetite? An acceptable answer to all these questions would of course be cake.

Then we have two competing standard answers: 42 and cake. So unless cake == 42, they're going to fight for the Explanatory Throne. And that's a battle I can't stand. I fear the cake will lose, because 42 has much more experience as an Answer. But I love both of them, I don't want to see one of them die. Please, someone save us!
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

edfel

Postby edfel » Sun May 05, 2013 5:45 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
TheMinim wrote:
Pikrass wrote:Is the camera shifting to the right, or the river expanding to the left?

Indeed, cake holds explanatory power over many of the events of the comic. Why are M&C building castles? Where do they come from? Who is LaPetite? An acceptable answer to all these questions would of course be cake.

Then we have two competing standard answers: 42 and cake. So unless cake == 42, they're going to fight for the Explanatory Throne. And that's a battle I can't stand. I fear the cake will lose, because 42 has much more experience as an Answer. But I love both of them, I don't want to see one of them die. Please, someone save us!

I think 42 cakes is The Answer.....
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

htom

Postby htom » Sun May 05, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
htom wrote:
TheMinim wrote:

The river is small, but it is not tiny. They could climb off the flood plain and get a better view.

Places like this can be fun, but they can be gut-clearing scary, too, when you suddenly realize that what you thought was the way out is the way into inescapably, and the way back nearly impossible.

You mean, like this comic? And this thread?

I was thinking of some canyons in several of the USA's western parks, but you make good points. It's kind of like that, only I can walk away. I can. She's right, this is a cult, I'm trapped!
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun May 05, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
TheMinim wrote:

Not only does cake == 42, cake === 42. They are literally one and the same. It's a weird quirk with typecasting in Universe RC1, but it can be useful sometimes.

edfel

Postby edfel » Sun May 05, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

TheRiverGoesEverOnAndOn-UpFromTheSeaWhereItBegan-NowFarAheadTheRiverHasGONG

(full original lyrics:)
Spoiler:
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sun May 05, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

Wonder if we'll ever get to see all the way across the river?

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

fatness wrote:
mscha wrote:EVENSONGGGGGGGG...
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

Hmmmm.....newpixbot seems to have snagged the previous pix, making it an oldpixbot this pixtime.

Nu-uh... Newpixbot has so far been infallible (even more so than our Lord Randall). [Hides quickly, no lightning stike, whew...] Ergman posted the same URL that was posted an hour before.

HAL9000 wrote:I like this period. There isn't much frame-to-frame change, but it's very tranquil.

Tranquil, but with lots of cake. Even better! :) (Are there any of those awesome cupcakes left?)

HAL9000 wrote:Also, suggestion for mscha:
Maybe you could put links to http://xkcd.mscha.org/ and your explanations of the apocryphal frames in your sig (you, not having a sig at the moment, have plenty of space)? It would save your having to repeat yourself so often.

Good idea. I added a link to my signature. However, I don't think anything remotely close to an explanation of apocryphal frames will fit in 300 characters... But I might add something to the website itself.
Last edited by mscha on Sun May 05, 2013 6:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

htom

Postby htom » Sun May 05, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
fatness wrote:
mscha wrote:EVENSONGGGGGGGG...
-- posted by newpixbot

Hmmmm.....newpixbot seems to have snagged the previous pix, making it an oldpixbot this pixtime.

Nu-uh... Newpixbot has so far been infallible (even more so than our Lord Randall). [Hides quicky, no lightling stike, whew...] Ergman posted the same URL that was posted an hour before.

I can only urge you not to tempt our Great Lord Randall with such a challenge.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun May 05, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The mustard is still there, it's just hiding.

AS IT SHOULD SINCE IT'S HERETICAL

I just laughed a whole lot (with a mouth full of rice) at the thought of heretical mustard and how it would be perceived by Outsiders. But you're right, of course; Ketchup is the One True ĆondimentĆ.

I think I know why the flags didn't flap in the wind; they were made out of fondant.

Valarya wrote:Lol that would be a great band name: Remorse and cupcakes. Glad you enjoyed them! :mrgreen:
Paul and Storm would claim to have a Remorse and cupcakes cover band called Shame and cookie dough.

Pikrass wrote:Then we have two competing standard answers: 42 and cake. So unless cake == 42, they're going to fight for the Explanatory Throne. And that's a battle I can't stand. I fear the cake will lose, because 42 has much more experience as an Answer. But I love both of them, I don't want to see one of them die. Please, someone save us!

Here you go (hopefully this allows hot linking)
Spoiler:
ImageIt was just the nicest result for a Google search for 42 cake.

ĆOTĆ for short, so as not to be confused with OTC.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Sun May 05, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:That's twice now you've done me a favor. I'm Amerigo Bonasera to your Don Corleone. Except without the whole fear and death stuff, of course. :wink:

d'awwww :D

edfel wrote:
Pikrass wrote:Then we have two competing standard answers: 42 and cake. So unless cake == 42, they're going to fight for the Explanatory Throne. And that's a battle I can't stand. I fear the cake will lose, because 42 has much more experience as an Answer. But I love both of them, I don't want to see one of them die. Please, someone save us!

I think 42 cakes is The Answer.....

how about this:

edit:
Angelastic wrote:It was just the nicest result for a Google search for 42 cake.

you didn't look far enough - mine wasn't on the first page, but i really like it - so much so that i'll have to try and duplicate it once a friend turns 42!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 05, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

*looks at Kieryn's Top Quoters List*
Egad, over 500 quotes? No wonder I have BBCode dripping out of my ears when I coma. And here I go again:

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
There are the sounds of trumpets. The lights come on to reveal the courtyard of a mighty castle. Banners are hung, torches are lit, and final preparations are hurriedly being made for the arrival of One who is Most Esteemed. The trumpets sound again in fanfare as the carpet, of deepest red, is rolled out from the grand stage, and a procession of Knights, Courtiers, Cardinals, and all manner of Royalty and Clergy begin their procession from the back of the hall. And is it? Could it be BlitzGirl the First has graced us in the procession? It's hard to tell at this distance, it being such a huge courtyard and a surprisingly enormous crowd. One by one they take their places on the stage, each sitting on an elaborately carved perch that befits the grandeur of the occasion, and as the last dignitary sits, the music comes to a glorious close.And then, nothing happens. The elaborately carved podium, center stage, remains empty. There is great anticipation, and the assembled crowd begins to murmur, but the stage remains completely still. A moment passes, then another and yet there is no movement. But the crowd does not disperse; it instead becomes more intense in its anticipation.

From stage right appears the Pope of the Holy Contradiction, dressed in richly embroidered vestments of glorious golden hue, which flow around him2 as he1 strides to the podium and implores the crowd:
What is the greatest commandment ever written, uttered, spake, or encoded with electrons and sent at the speed of light and darkness throughout all the land? What is it to which we all must aspire, though our bodies be weak, and our will faltering? What is it that is the ultimate purpose of our assembly here, and indeed, of our entire lives? That commandment, handed to us from On High, is both simple, and challenging. It is, if I may utter the words myself without feeling inadequate:
Wait For It.
In this is written all of life. You have just done this here, this moment, but you must do this everywhere. And you must especially do this in the One True Comic, as it only exists in its own Time. For those who have arrived after the Beginning of Time, properly following this commandment involves a Holy Quest, pioneered by the Holy Apostle BlitzGirl The First, who in making her pilgrimage, has left us a Sacred Book, the Book of BlitzGirl.
The trumpets sound again in glorious fanfare.
We are gathered here to commemorate two others, who in completing this pilgrimage, have elevated themselves from ordinary Timewaiters, to the Most Exalted Status of BlitzGirl the Next. So, let it be known here and forevermore, that Selcouth and PhoenixRising have, by virtue of their heroic deeds, are consecrated each as BlitzGirl The Next, a title among the highest honors that can be conveyed in the One True Thread. Selcouth, I bid the rise, and kneel.
There is a disturbance among the crowd of Timewaiters as somebody makes his2 way up to the stage. It is Selcouth himself. Having no avatar at this time, he1 is hard to see, but you can make him2 out if you look carefully. He1 rises up onto the stage, and kneels before the Pope. The Pope raises his2 hand above Selcouth's head, and in a voice that carries far past the castle walls, heralds:
Selcouth, in honor of your having properly Waited For It even after the Beginning of Time, forsaking the distractions and temptations of the present time and the present Time, but seeking only to have the truth revealed to you at Its Proper Pace, and furthermore, in recognition of your doing this in anonymity, even before creating an account with which to receive the Sacrament of Sigcouragement, I, as the Pope of the Holy Contradiction, do consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title BlitzGirl The Next, that for all time, and all of Time, it be known that you have truly and properly Waited For It.
Selcouth rises, the trumpets sound, the crowd cheers, and the flags are waved up and down and left and right in curvy fashions, so as not to open the rift whence velociraptors might emerge should one make the Wrong Assumption about the shape of Space in Time. The Pope raises his hands to quiet the crowd, and speaks again to the assembly.
PhoenixRising, I bid thee rise and kneel.
Out of the crowd of humble Timewaiters, PhoenixRising, easily recognized by his flaming avatar he1 has on today, makes his2 way to the stage and kneels before the Pope, who again raises his2 hand above the head poking out of this flaming vestment, and proclaims
PhoenixRising, in honor of the completion of your Sacred Pligrimmage, that you have truly Waited For It as it was meant to be, forsaking the sight of the future as you pursued your Holy Quest, by the power vested in me as the Pope of the Holy Contradiction, do I consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title of BlitzGirl the Next. And furthermore do I consecrate the Gospel of PhoenixRising, a True and Holy Record of your Quest, to be counted among the Holy Books, alongside the Gospel of BlitzGirl, that it provide inspiration to all who follow, and indeed, to all Timewaiters, for all time and all of Time.
The trumpets sound again as the crowd roars and waves banners in curvy ways to avoid Velociraptorlypse (and Velociraptor lips). PhonenixRising rises and joins Selcouth center stage as the Pope takes holds his hands high to still the crowd. He1 speaks:
And now I would like to invite our Most Esteemed BlitzGirl The First to take the stage and say a few words of inspiration.
The crowd goes wild! But at just that moment part of the castle collapses and water starts seeping into the courtyard. It seems the sea is still rising.

1 or perhaps she, it's hard to tell
2 or maybe her... it's hard to tell
Jose

What a gorgeous ceremony! (Except for the Sea doing what it wants. After all, it is the Sea1.)
May hope fill the heart of every wanderer trying to blitz the the thread of Time!

1Big.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Davidy

What's next???

Postby Davidy » Sun May 05, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

Megan and Cueball see that staying in bed would have been a good option.

Seriously though, isn't it obvious that they have arrived back at where they started?
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

descor

Re: What's next???

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:Megan and Cueball see that staying in bed would have been a good option.
<snip>
Seriously though, isn't it obvious that they have arrived back at where they started?

Oh God Randall, not another Loopist conspiracy. I refuse to believe they are back where they started because they have bags and there is no sign of an Ikea.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Sun May 05, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

Wollongong

Edit: After posting I searched for Wollongong to see whether it had been used before and found this, haha
Angelastic wrote:<snip>
The only thing I don't like about the bot is that it doesn't give other people the chance to show their creativity in 'ONG' words. Maybe somebody here has been thinking 'Oooh, I can't wait till I get to be the one to post an ONG! WOLLONGONG is going to kill!' and is now put out by the robot overlong.
<snip>

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Sun May 05, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:Wollongong
Spoiler:

THE OTHER SIDE!!

or will there be another arm behind that land?

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:Wollongong
Spoiler:

What's that? A cliff at the other side of the very wide¹ river?

¹: but still small
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sun May 05, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

Black cliffs of D'over there?
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:Black cliffs of D'over there?

Ahahahahaha. I am actually properly laughing at this!

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: What's next???

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:Megan and Cueball see that staying in bed would have been a good option.

This is great. Into the folder dedicated to images from this thread it goes!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun May 05, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Is it man-made?

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

To cross here, they're going to need a bigger trebuchet.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun May 05, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:To cross here, they're going to need a bigger trebuchet.

They can make a raft out of bags. En Megan can use Cueball as a paddle.

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Or one of these?
Spoiler:

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

descor wrote:

Or one of these?
Spoiler:

It's the official church cannon!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
descor wrote:

Or one of these?
Spoiler:

I thought the official canon was the Book of Aubron? :mrgreen:

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

descor wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
descor wrote:

Or one of these?
Spoiler:

The church cannon was something that was frequently discussed around the time that all the various religious sects were springing up (e.g. Knights Temporal, Sandmasons, and others). It's based on a spelling error.
EDIT to add a link to the first mention.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Sun May 05, 2013 7:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun May 05, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Davidy Section:
Davidy wrote:
Spoiler:

Are you saying that the river feeds into the sea, the start of the river is the sea, therefore the sea feeds itself. The sea is a grownup!!

!Big.

Vytron Section:
Vytron wrote:azule is driven insane by the thread and posts colorful post. Now, I wonder, if to follow the One True Comic and the One True Thread one needs to be crazy, does that mean azule has gone back to xeir senses!?
Hi, Vytron! I think this might be my second mention from you.
I don't know if your sentence means what I read it to mean, but no, I probably haven't come to my senses, but also no, I don't think I went insane that day. Maybe a previous day during my previous ketchup (2000 posts/50 pages, I noted in that post). Good luck! I think my longest run was 100 pages? Damn, need some real stats. lol.

Vytron wrote:
Spoiler:
Then, I reach the first xkcdsw of the thread:

Factoid: xkcdsws are the reason I joined the forum, back in 2009, I used to make xkcdsws (which, AFAIK, were post attachments, and now lost to time. Or... somewhere in my harddrive.)
I've been hooked on xkcdsw, reading it when I'm not stuck in an endless loop in the OTT. I don't recall coming across one of your contributions yet, but hopefully I will. I will cross-post anything cool I see. :)

Vytron wrote:[BlitzGirl] also becomes Archbishop of the Past. This means I no longer hold the short-lived title!
Hah! She had just given up that title! I don't think she'll be able to give it up due to time warp/fracture. hehehe!

Sciscitor Section:
Sciscitor wrote:
Spoiler:
Some remarks on the dataset:
  • Of course it is closely correlated to the top quoters in the OTT.
  • It contains only top quotes, no quoted quotes.
  • If someone of the professionals on here could point me to a visualization tool for Linux that can digest a graph with about 800 nodes and about 9000 weighted edges I would be very grateful (my usual CLI tool, i.e. graphviz, forsaked me for this, it simply took too long even on an eight core, 16GB box). And no sorry: Gephi looks fine but I would like to avoid installing Suns jre and jdk.
Could you clarify the "top quotes" statement. A single quote is obvious. With a nested quote, I would call the "newest comment" the bottom quote because that is where the statement is usually placed. But to clarify myself, you do mean the "newest quote", right?

FullOfIt Section:
FullOfIt wrote:Also, fantastic lyrics by StratPlayer. I feel honored (and slightly intimidated) to have been involved in its creation (AFAICS I was the first to put those two words close enough together to make them bond) - though without BlitzGirlz's great illustration it would probably have been forgotten. So yay, BlitzGirl!
Yay, FullOfIt! Without your starting point we wouldn't have our newest meme. 8-)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
descor wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
descor wrote:

Or one of these?
Spoiler:

The church cannon was something that was frequently discussed around the time that all the various religious sects were springing up (e.g. Knights Temporal, Sandmasons, and others). It's based on a spelling error.

:oops: Er ... this is awkward - Hal, check my spelling (I remembered the discussion, I was making a joke based on the same spelling error ... are your humour subroutines working at optimum efficiency?? :lol: )

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun May 05, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

Knowing this thread, it's more likely to be the Cliffs of Insanity

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Sun May 05, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:

Here you go (hopefully this allows hot linking)
Spoiler:
ImageIt was just the nicest result for a Google search for 42 cake.

ĆOTĆ for short, so as not to be confused with OTC.

Oh, thanks! But we should save a C for One True Cake. We could use OTÇ, but then it would read in French as Çake => Sake, which is cool too but not really the intended meaning. That being said, if that exists, I'd definitely buy a sake cake.

It's not a cliff. It's obviously a giant cake!
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

descor wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
descor wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
descor wrote:

Or one of these?

:oops: Er ... this is awkward - Hal, check my spelling (I remembered the discussion, I was making a joke based on the same spelling error ... are your humour subroutines working at optimum efficiency?? :lol: )

Well, it could be a communication error. I am picking up a fault in the A35 unit.
(Also, I hadn't realized that you were around for that)

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
descor wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
descor wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
descor wrote:

Or one of these?

Well, it could be a communication error. I am picking up a fault in the A35 unit.
(Also, I hadn't realized that you were around for that)

I wasn't actively posting but I was lurking!!

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun May 05, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

azule wrote:Sciscitor Section:
Sciscitor wrote:
Spoiler:
  • If someone of the professionals on here could point me to a visualization tool for Linux that can digest a graph with about 800 nodes and about 9000 weighted edges I would be very grateful (my usual CLI tool, i.e. graphviz, forsaked me for this, it simply took too long even on an eight core, 16GB box). And no sorry: Gephi looks fine but I would like to avoid installing Suns jre and jdk.

Could you clarify the "top quotes" statement. A single quote is obvious. With a nested quote, I would call the "newest comment" the bottom quote because that is where the statement is usually placed. But to clarify myself, you do mean the "newest quote", right?

Sure... I only counted original quotes, not quotes nested into quotes. With "top quote" I am refering to the first quote inside the posting, the one that may contain other quotes.

So... now I've played around a bit with my new dataset and thus created a very simplified graph visualization of this thread. Circle size corresponds to posting count, clockwise position to being-quoted-count. The blue lines are quotes - the darker and wider, the more quotes. The dataset is rather massive so I had to prune it to the top posters/quoters/quoted. (I would also like to guide your attention to the fact, that there is no visible line between His Holiness Pope Helper and cmyk.) Enjoy!
ott1.jpg
OTT in one image
Last edited by Sciscitor on Mon May 06, 2013 3:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

azule wrote:Davidy Section:
Davidy wrote:
Spoiler:

Are you saying that the river feeds into the sea, the start of the river is the sea, therefore the sea feeds itself. The sea is a grownup!!

!Big.

Well, it could be that the map pretty much looks like this. (Disclaimer: I am no good at pictures.)
Fits with the delta hypothesis. That way, they might have been walking in a circle without us (or probably them) noticing.

Just a theory, not one I believe in.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun May 05, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

Awesome graph, Sciscitor! But since there's no arrows on the lines, is there a way to tell whether a line means 'quoted' or 'was quoted by'?
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
azule wrote:Sciscitor Section:
Sciscitor wrote:
Spoiler:

Sure... I only counted original quotes, not quotes nested into quotes. With "top quote" I am refering to the first quote inside the posting, the one that may contain other quotes.

So... now I've played around a bit with my new dataset and thus created a very simplified graph visualization of this thread. Circle size corresponds to posting count, clockwise position to being-quoted-count. The blue lines are quotes - the darker and wider, the more quotes. The dataset is rather massive so I had to prune it to the top posters/quoters/quoted. (I would also like to guide your attention to the fact, that there is no visible line between His Holiness Pope Helper and cmyk.) Enjoy!
ott1.jpg

Helper and Opiboble have kind of a [b?]romance going, it seems. Also, nice job! Do you know what page that chart is current to?

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:So... now I've played around a bit with my new dataset and thus created a very simplified graph visualization of this thread

OMR... Simplified, (s)he calls that... I don't think I've ever seen a graph with such a high data density, amazing.
(I think I'm hypnotized now, after staring at a zoomed-in version for a while.)
Last edited by mscha on Sun May 05, 2013 9:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

NOTONG...

crossing_jordan.png
crossing_jordan.png (3.76 KiB) Viewed 12024 times
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:So... now I've played around a bit with my new dataset and thus created a very simplified graph visualization of this thread

Woah! That's awesome! Is there a way to see who is centre of the OTC universe?

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

Ooh! Idea! Combine this with one of Kieryn's charts, and put the day that each of the top 100 quoted users first posted in the thread!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”