1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

vvn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby vvn » Sun May 05, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:
vvn wrote:Add. Just got a frame from xkcd.
Spoiler:
f34d634b0de9d1f68099ed84b1157791714f862311fe31630b6c0fbb4d0ef674.png

Yeah, I got that one too for a short while (it was gone again when I refreshed), it's the old one though (1122 on geekwagon)

Sorry. It's the one I got from xkcd at that point in Time. I figured I'd upload it for anyone that couldn't get anything. Don't know why it was a previous frame. I opened the browser to xkcd just to get the frame.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Sun May 05, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

jaronflick wrote:Is there something wrong with the times stamp. It is 6:13 pm here and the time stamp is showing 5:13 utc. It should be 10:13 utc. Right? What is up with that?

Alternatively, install the newpix converter (link in my sig) and the dates on the OTT will become Just RightTM!

mscha wrote:RONGGGGGGGG...
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot

Edit: Whew, and on my 500th post... Image Image
I didn't want to post earlier (and ruin my 500th), but the servers started to immediately refuse the connection instead of hanging, so that probably meant someone was restarting things.

Edit² (don't want to ruin my post count, maybe I should go coma): so it is definitely still a river, and they haven't looped round back to the sea.

IMO, the newpixbot master should not let its post count stay "Internal Server Error". Especially when the OTC is sick.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 05, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Yikes, I go offline for TWO newpix and the OTT once more fills with Chaos. Breathe, everyone! We don't know what is going to happen, and therefore must Wait for it. (I seem to not be an -ist of any kind, according to descor's flowchart. -Isms, in my opinion, are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in the One True Comic.) And speaking of epic charts, WOW at Sciscitor's quotecircle. :shock: I have a respectable quote-hub despite being at 7 o'clock.

patzer wrote:*blindpost*
BlitzGirl wrote:...But since the Mustard was heretical...

So, has it been established that the Mustard, a creation of Lord Randall himself, was heresy?
(I'm okay with removing the mustard period if others agree)

I think it has. Though it may be worth mentioning elsewhere on the OTW.

Hmm...does Cueball have Megan's dilgunnerang in his hand?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

descendONG
EDIT: trying to cross, maybe?
Last edited by HAL9000 on Sun May 05, 2013 11:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun May 05, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Yikes, I go offline for TWO newpix and the OTT once more fills with Chaos.

So that's why the server's were playing up. BlitzGirl, you must never leave us again, so that the flow of newpix shall not be disturbed. Also because we miss you.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:IMO, the newpixbot master should not let its post count stay "Internal Server Error". Especially when the OTC is sick.

Good point. So here goes. (But is "not implemented" any better?)

descor wrote:With thanks to MostCynical: here is an updated flowchart which may be slightly less heretical! (Also it has a 'Start' now, which was bugging me!)

Even awesomer ... and it now supports my agnosticism. :)

BlitzGirl wrote:Hmm...does Cueball have Megan's dilgunnerang in his hand?

He picked it up, 49 newpix ago.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun May 05, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

Well, I may know now what happened to the servers: "Time" made the front page of Slashdot, posted at 07:50pm UTC. I didn't get a successful image download (except for copies of frame 1090) for an hour after that.

Don't be surprised if we have a small rush of new posters in the thread, with a great many of them (judging from Slashdot comments so far) asking, "What's wrong with you people?"

Of course, the funny thing for me is how many people didn't read the Slashdot summary, saw a picture of two people standing on a slope, and said, "Lamest xkcd ever."

(I did like the person who posted "the obligatory xkcd link" - to comic 1190.)
ETA (way late) direct link to Slashdot story.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sun May 05, 2013 11:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Yikes, I go offline for TWO newpix and the OTT once more fills with Chaos. Breathe, everyone! We don't know what is going to happen, and therefore must Wait for it. (I seem to not be an -ist of any kind, according to descor's flowchart. -Isms, in my opinion, are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in the One True Comic.) And speaking of epic charts, WOW at Sciscitor's quotecircle. :shock: I have a respectable quote-hub despite being at 7 o'clock.

I'll admit that Sciscitor's quotecircle does rather put my paltry flowchart into perspective. Not unlike the Total Perspective Vortex.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Well, I may know now what happened to the servers: "Time" made the front page of Slashdot, posted at 07:50pm UTC. I didn't get a successful image download (except for copies of frame 1090) for an hour after that.

Don't be surprised if we have a small rush of new posters in the thread, with a great many of them (judging from Slashdot comments so far) asking, "What's wrong with you people?"

Of course, the funny thing for me is how many people didn't read the Slashdot summary, saw a picture of two people standing on a slope, and said, "Lamest xkcd ever."

(I did like the person who posted "the obligatory xkcd link" - to comic 1190.)

That's quite possibly true. When I was refreshing http://xkcd.com/1190/, it took much longer than it normally does, even when I refresh on the hour.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 05, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Yikes, I go offline for TWO newpix and the OTT once more fills with Chaos.

So that's why the server's were playing up. BlitzGirl, you must never leave us again, so that the flow of newpix shall not be disturbed. Also because we miss you.

I did not know my fate was so deeply linked to that of the OTT! I mean, I knew I couldn't live without the One True Comic, but had no idea there was any reciprocity there...
(Missed you all too, even while I was enjoying this Outsider invention known as a "park." :) )

azule wrote:
Vytron wrote:[BlitzGirl] also becomes Archbishop of the Past. This means I no longer hold the short-lived title!
Hah! She had just given up that title! I don't think she'll be able to give it up due to time warp/fracture. hehehe!

Shoot. Well, I hadn't gotten around to reconsiguring yet, so I suppose that title can just stay where it is.

Oh no - Slashdot. Brace yourselves, fellow Knights! The River is small!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun May 05, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
-- posted by newpixbot

Edit: Whew, and on my 500th post... Image Image
I didn't want to post earlier (and ruin my 500th), but the servers started to immediately refuse the connection instead of hanging, so that probably meant someone was restarting things.

Edit² (don't want to ruin my post count, maybe I should go coma): so it is definitely still a river, and they haven't looped round back to the sea.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU AND NEWPIXBOT!!!!

WOOT WOOT IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY WOOT WOOT!

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Smithers wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
azule wrote:
Vytron wrote:[BlitzGirl] also becomes Archbishop of the Past. This means I no longer hold the short-lived title!
Hah! She had just given up that title! I don't think she'll be able to give it up due to time warp/fracture. hehehe!

Shoot. Well, I hadn't gotten around to reconsiguring yet, so I suppose that title can just stay where it is.

Oh no - Slashdot. Brace yourselves, fellow Knights! The River is small!

So is Randall's bandwidth, at least when compared to slashdot's daily traffic, which is very, very big, and does what it wants.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

azule wrote:HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU AND NEWPIXBOT!!!!

WOOT WOOT IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY WOOT WOOT!

Thanks! Have some cake, everybody.
Spoiler:
Last edited by mscha on Sun May 05, 2013 11:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sun May 05, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh no - Slashdot. Brace yourselves, fellow Knights! The River is small!
The sea is big!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Sun May 05, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Well, I may know now what happened to the servers: "Time" made the front page of Slashdot, posted at 07:50pm UTC. I didn't get a successful image download (except for copies of frame 1090) for an hour after that.
<snip>

Ah, that does make sense.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:descendONG
Spoiler:

EDIT: trying to cross, maybe?

Filling the (remaining) bottle, most likely.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 05, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Oh no - Slashdot. Brace yourselves, fellow Knights! The River is small!

So is Randall's bandwidth, at least when compared to slashdot's daily traffic, which is very, very big, and does what it wants.

I sea what you did there.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Water we doing now? Sea puns?

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sun May 05, 2013 11:38 pm UTC

descor wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Yep, sea pun sand references to sea-related things.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sun May 05, 2013 11:39 pm UTC

I am a bit confused. I posted the text of the slashdot article "Yesterday, 8:42 pm" (Pacific time, so 20 hours ago) And, I was responding to someone else who found it earlier. Slashdot claims the article was posted "Sunday May 05, 2013 @03:50PM". (Not sure what TZ, but only an hour ago if in my TZ) And, the server problems started a couple hours ago. I am having a hard time reconciling these times. I do not assume my post saw a future post on slashdot. And, there seemed to be a long time between the slashdot posting and the server problems. Does this make sense to anyone?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 05, 2013 11:42 pm UTC

Perhaps we yacht to shore those pun-toons up for later. Water we going to do if they flood the OTT again?

jjjdavidson wrote:Don't be surprised if we have a small rush of new posters in the thread, with a great many of them (judging from Slashdot comments so far) asking, "What's wrong with you people?" <snip>

At least they'll be held in moderation purgatory for some Time.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
descor wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Yep, sea pun sand references to sea-related things.

Am I to undersand that these puns are humourous?

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun May 05, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

Blitzreading, Caught up but now----
----------------------------------
Regarding Megan being able to notice that the sea is rising:
Haven’t any of you people ever been to the beach? ... :) friendly jab... Considering how long they have been walking along the beach, it doesn't surprise me at all if they would notice that the beach is getting narrower and narrower; even taking into consideration that the coastline (and thus the depth of the beach) would vary.
----------------------------------

ONWARD - WALL OF POSTS:
NoMouse wrote:
Exodies wrote:But here's the problem - all these short cuts are for things which are already really short - middle click instead of Ctrl-click saves you about a milli second in your whole lifetime. Programmers just seem to be unable to come up with real time savers.

Not if you have your left hand under your chin1. :D Which I have a lot when just reading. So it actually saves me a lot of time.
1or in your nose, mouth, eyes, ears, ass or wherever off the keyboard...

Exactly! I am so thrilled to have discovered the middle click via this thread, just now!

Tatiana wrote:Ohmygosh I love my hat! Thanks, buffygirl! You're the best!

You are very welcome!!!

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
For anyone still confused about what is going on with the camera, I've created this helpful animation which may shed some light on the situation. It's not particularly accurate to the landscape, but it gets the point across I hope :)
[warning - large filesize, may be slow to load]

Brillilant, ChronosDragon! Maybe YOU could be the one to animate BlitzGirl's fab creation for us.

The "Called It" of the Delta:
Spoiler:
pelrigg wrote:
BytEfLUSh wrote:
Ohh, I just noticed other mentions of delta. I was referring to my post:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3347139&hilit=1169#p3347139
BytEfLUSh wrote:Did anyone link this comic so far?

http://xkcd.com/1169/

Though, I don't think there's much sand up there.

And seeing several "rivers" so close to each other in recent newpix. :)

I know directly mentioned "delta" here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=21200#p3347603

and I swear I heard crickets as a response,
Two pages, later, "Hey, I think they're on a delta"

Where's my blankie when I need it..........

Edit
me and my speling

I did read that one, and in my mind whenever anyone else mentioned it I noted that it had already been mentioned. Just so you know you were noticed!

VoronX wrote:
buffygirl wrote:re: Aubronwood frames 1055-1057 (the arm grab and "Sorry" "No, right. Forgot") --
Megan was standing too close to the River1bank, off of which Cueball had just fallen. He grabbed to pull her back, but then realized he was maybe invading her space, and so apologized. But she acknowledged that he was right - standing that close to the edge is foolhardy.
1 Small

I thought that much was pretty obvious...amazing the body language the great Randall conveys into stickfigures.

I recall that at the time some folks interpreted it as a sudden affectionate move (with no mention of a functional move) that was basically rejected. I had never gotten around to replying, so I was doing it here.

And yes, I agree. I am continually amazed at the emotion Randall can imbue stick figures with. (hate danging prepositions, but sometimes the correct way just sounds dumb)

htom

Postby htom » Sun May 05, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

vvn wrote:I am a bit confused. I posted the text of the slashdot article "Yesterday, 8:42 pm" (Pacific time, so 20 hours ago) And, I was responding to someone else who found it earlier. Slashdot claims the article was posted "Sunday May 05, 2013 @03:50PM". (Not sure what TZ, but only an hour ago if in my TZ) And, the server problems started a couple hours ago. I am having a hard time reconciling these times. I do not assume my post saw a future post on slashdot. And, there seemed to be a long time between the slashdot posting and the server problems. Does this make sense to anyone?

What was previously linked was a proposed story, which was finally voted up and "posted" today, is my guess. Slashdot is in California, IIRC, so Pacific Daylight.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

fatness

Postby fatness » Sun May 05, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

descor wrote:Am I to undersand that these puns are humourous?

Careful...you'll be docked.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun May 05, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

vvn wrote:I am a bit confused. I posted the text of the slashdot article "Yesterday, 8:42 pm" (Pacific time, so 20 hours ago) And, I was responding to someone else who found it earlier. Slashdot claims the article was posted "Sunday May 05, 2013 @03:50PM". (Not sure what TZ, but only an hour ago if in my TZ) And, the server problems started a couple hours ago. I am having a hard time reconciling these times. I do not assume my post saw a future post on slashdot. And, there seemed to be a long time between the slashdot posting and the server problems. Does this make sense to anyone?

My original post was about a Slashdot submission, which sits in a review queue (their "Firehose") for a while before the editors decide whether to drop it or post it. The time you see now is when an editor finally approved the story and posted it to the front page.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sun May 05, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:

My original post was about a Slashdot submission, which sits in a review queue (their "Firehose") for a while before the editors decide whether to drop it or post it. The time you see now is when an editor finally approved the story and posted it to the front page.

I see. That makes sense. I didn't know enough about how slashdot works. Thank you.

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

fatness wrote:
descor wrote:Am I to undersand that these puns are humourous?

Careful...you'll be docked.

It's a boat time somebody warned me about that!

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun May 05, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:NOTONG...
crossing_jordan.png
crossing_jordan.png (3.76 KiB) Viewed 11977 times

NOTONGEITHER...
crossing_jordan_fail.png
crossing_jordan_fail.png (4.57 KiB) Viewed 11977 times
Jose
edit: remove spoiler
Last edited by ucim on Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:11 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 06, 2013 12:00 am UTC

mscha wrote:Thanks! Have some cake, everybody.
Spoiler:

Yay, I finally get cake! *nom nom*

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 06, 2013 12:12 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:GETSOMEWATERONG
Spoiler:

That was cutting it close, 12 seconds before newpixbot...
And now it's (past) time for coma. 'night everybody, and don't let the river bugs bite.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Mon May 06, 2013 12:14 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Rule110 wrote:NOTONG...
Spoiler:
Imagecrossing_jordan.png

Spoiler:
NOTONGEITHER...Imagecrossing_jordan_fail.png
Jose

"fail" perhaps, but a lot less painful than "success".
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon May 06, 2013 12:15 am UTC

The front-page post was at 12:50 PDT/MST, so 19:50 UTC, and 15:50 (or what you call 3:50 PM) would be EDT.
I also happen to have a fairly low Slashdot ID number, though I use it quite rarely these days.

Added: I guess this would be a good time for me to update the animated GIF on Explain XKCD, assuming it's not getting hammered too badly.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

fatness

Postby fatness » Mon May 06, 2013 12:19 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

And now it's (past) time for coma. 'night everybody, and don't let the river bugs bite.

Or the water moccasins.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 06, 2013 12:25 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
azule wrote:Sciscitor Section:
Sciscitor wrote:
Spoiler:
Some remarks on the dataset:
  • Of course it is closely correlated to the top quoters in the OTT.
  • It contains only top quotes, no quoted quotes.
  • If someone of the professionals on here could point me to a visualization tool for Linux that can digest a graph with about 800 nodes and about 9000 weighted edges I would be very grateful (my usual CLI tool, i.e. graphviz, forsaked me for this, it simply took too long even on an eight core, 16GB box). And no sorry: Gephi looks fine but I would like to avoid installing Suns jre and jdk.

Could you clarify the "top quotes" statement. A single quote is obvious. With a nested quote, I would call the "newest comment" the bottom quote because that is where the statement is usually placed. But to clarify myself, you do mean the "newest quote", right?

Sure... I only counted original quotes, not quotes nested into quotes. With "top quote" I am refering to the first quote inside the posting, the one that may contain other quotes.

So... now I've played around a bit with my new dataset and thus created a very simplified graph visualization of this thread. Circle size corresponds to posting count, clockwise position to being-quoted-count. The blue lines are quotes - the darker and wider, the more quotes. The dataset is rather massive so I had to prune it to the top posters/quoters/quoted. (I would also like to guide your attention to the fact, that there is no visible line between His Holiness Pope Helper and cmyk.) Enjoy!
ott1.jpg

lol that is awesome, Helper, we are linked by the black line of doom!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon May 06, 2013 12:25 am UTC

More blindposting:
StratPlayer wrote:Ok. But I'm still claiming a "called it!" if we start panning into an overhead view... Even if it looks like the one BlitzGirl showed. :D

I KNOW that I proposed ending with an overhead pan AGES ago!!! But don't recall if it was a first (I try (not always successfully) not to worry myself about the "called it!" thing, but this time I must insist...)(as long as I actually DID call it. Otherwise, nevermind!)

Exodies wrote:
Tatiana wrote:Ohmygosh I love my hat! Thanks, buffygirl! You're the best!

She's good. If only this Tread had an avatar mitten maker of similar calibre.

(thank you and) OH NO YOU DI'N'!

Sciscitor wrote:
azule wrote:Sciscitor Section:
Sciscitor wrote:
Spoiler:
Some remarks on the dataset:
  • Of course it is closely correlated to the top quoters in the OTT.
  • It contains only top quotes, no quoted quotes.
  • If someone of the professionals on here could point me to a visualization tool for Linux that can digest a graph with about 800 nodes and about 9000 weighted edges I would be very grateful (my usual CLI tool, i.e. graphviz, forsaked me for this, it simply took too long even on an eight core, 16GB box). And no sorry: Gephi looks fine but I would like to avoid installing Suns jre and jdk.

Could you clarify the "top quotes" statement. A single quote is obvious. With a nested quote, I would call the "newest comment" the bottom quote because that is where the statement is usually placed. But to clarify myself, you do mean the "newest quote", right?

Sure... I only counted original quotes, not quotes nested into quotes. With "top quote" I am refering to the first quote inside the posting, the one that may contain other quotes.

So... now I've played around a bit with my new dataset and thus created a very simplified graph visualization of this thread. Circle size corresponds to posting count, clockwise position to being-quoted-count. The blue lines are quotes - the darker and wider, the more quotes. The dataset is rather massive so I had to prune it to the top posters/quoters/quoted. (I would also like to guide your attention to the fact, that there is no visible line between His Holiness Pope Helper and cmyk.) Enjoy!
ott1.jpg

LOVE THIS GRAPH!
This is also telling me that I am spending WAAAAY too much time on the OTT. Especially since I have hats to make.

HAL9000 wrote:Ooh! Idea! Combine this with one of Kieryn's charts, and put the day that each of the top 100 quoted users first posted in the thread!

I don't think I've ever "heard" you "sound" so girly!

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon May 06, 2013 12:27 am UTC

fatness wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Or the water moccasins.

They can make shoes out of caffeinatedseamencancerbaconbabbiesonice now?? :shock:
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 06, 2013 12:32 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:And yes, I agree. I am continually amazed at the emotion Randall can imbue upon stick figures with. (hate danging prepositions, but sometimes the correct way just sounds dumb)

FTFY

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon May 06, 2013 12:34 am UTC

azule wrote:
buffygirl wrote:And yes, I agree. I am continually amazed at the emotion Randall can imbue upon stick figures with. (hate danging prepositions, but sometimes the correct way just sounds dumb)

FTFY

AAAHHHHHGH!!!! You're right!!!!!!! I hate you! (but I still owe you a hat!)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”