1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Mon May 06, 2013 12:54 am UTC

You're welcome. I shall be the Holy Hated. :twisted:
I got a hat, silly.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon May 06, 2013 12:57 am UTC

Spoiler:
mscha wrote:RONGGGGGGGG...

ok. so they were unsure how the river could possibly be making the sea overflow, so they went upriver on a quest of scientific inquiry. Now they know, I guess.

also, whats all this about the OTC being sick? It's fine for me.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Mon May 06, 2013 1:00 am UTC

LETSSEEIFICANGETITRIGHTTHISTIMEBECAUSEIMESSEDUPMYLASTONG
Edit: it seems I can.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

jdj42

Postby jdj42 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:02 am UTC

Dixie Kong

Edit: Fuck.
Edit 2: Just caught up on the OTC, and apparently the river is big. This must have lead to a large change in the church that will affect the church for eons to come.
Last edited by jdj42 on Mon May 06, 2013 1:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon May 06, 2013 1:04 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
patzer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:...But since the Mustard was heretical...

So, has it been established that the Mustard, a creation of Lord Randall himself, was heresy?
(I'm okay with removing the mustard period if others agree)

I think it has. Though it may be worth mentioning elsewhere on the OTW.

I think of some of these things, like the mustard, as events, rather than periods. It'd be nice to be able to see where the mustard took place without it breaking in two the period that it should be contained within. The close-up of the mini-trebuchet is an event too, and also perhaps the time-location of the apocryphal frames. But while these would sit nicely on a Timeline, I'm not sure they can be indicated on the awesome OTGT chart.

(Man, I write like I've got a stick up my butt. Sorry.)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 06, 2013 1:06 am UTC

Who's doing the comparison to earlier in Time? Is this hill similar?

NBTW, I don't think slash-dot will be affecting the OTT, they weren't linked to us. We should be safe.

Edit: I don't think. Period.
Last edited by azule on Mon May 06, 2013 1:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jdj42

Postby jdj42 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:06 am UTC

ggh wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
patzer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:...But since the Mustard was heretical...

So, has it been established that the Mustard, a creation of Lord Randall himself, was heresy?
(I'm okay with removing the mustard period if others agree)

I think it has. Though it may be worth mentioning elsewhere on the OTW.

I think of some of these things, like the mustard, as events, rather than periods. It'd be nice to be able to see where the mustard took place without it breaking in two the period that it should be contained within. The close-up of the mini-trebuchet is an event too, and also perhaps the time-location of the apocryphal frames. But while these would sit nicely on a Timeline, I'm not sure they can be indicated on the awesome OTGT chart.

(Man, I write like I've got a stick up my butt. Sorry.)

Is the stick painful?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 1:12 am UTC

Pre-ketchup replies I:

htom wrote:I thought that the OTT was composed of OTP , One True Posts.

Uh, I'd call it more like 21,000-Plus Irrational and Fantastical Posts, which unfortunately, makes a horrible acronym: TPIAFP

descor wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:That is an epic cake, suitable for all 300-type occasions! Can we eat them both?

I've no problem with eating both. Let me fetch some paper plates.

Oh, yay! Cake! It's a bit late, but I brought some cake of my own to share:
Spoiler:

FullOfIt wrote:Also, fantastic lyrics by StratPlayer. I feel honored (and slightly intimidated) to have been involved in its creation (AFAICS I was the first to put those two words close enough together to make them bond) - though without BlitzGirlz's great illustration it would probably have been forgotten. So yay, BlitzGirl!

Thanks! And I'm all for credit where credit is due, so a hearty "Huzzah" to you, too!!!

Sciscitor wrote:Here is another statistics...
<snip>
[*] StratPlayer (410)
<snip>
[*] It contains only top quotes, no quoted quotes.

Wow, I'm honored to be a top quoter and quotee, but don't quote me on that...

descor wrote:
patzer wrote:Another option would be to reclassify such "periods" as epochs, and have the whole journey until they meet the river as a period. Not all periods would be divided into epochs.

That's not a bad suggestion, although my OCD wouldn't let me stop at just subdividing the journey period - I'd want to go back and subdivide all the periods and that way madness lies!

Why? Eventually you'd subdivide until you could classify them all individually by "Frames," which I believe is what Lord Randall intended.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:14 am UTC

azule wrote:Who's doing the comparison to earlier in Time? Is this hill similar?

The bank is steeper than before, it's definitely not the same. (that, plus the fact they haven't been walking in the right direction to get back there)

Last edited by 123Adz321 on Mon May 06, 2013 1:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

jdj42

Postby jdj42 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:16 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Pre-ketchup replies I:

htom wrote:I thought that the OTT was composed of OTP , One True Posts.

Uh, I'd call it more like 21,000-Plus Irrational and Fantastical Posts, which unfortunately, makes a horrible acronym: TPIAFP

descor wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:That is an epic cake, suitable for all 300-type occasions! Can we eat them both?

I've no problem with eating both. Let me fetch some paper plates.

Oh, yay! Cake! It's a bit late, but I brought some cake of my own to share:
Spoiler:

FullOfIt wrote:Also, fantastic lyrics by StratPlayer. I feel honored (and slightly intimidated) to have been involved in its creation (AFAICS I was the first to put those two words close enough together to make them bond) - though without BlitzGirlz's great illustration it would probably have been forgotten. So yay, BlitzGirl!

Thanks! And I'm all for credit where credit is due, so a hearty "Huzzah" to you, too!!!

Sciscitor wrote:Here is another statistics...
<snip>
[*] StratPlayer (410)
<snip>
[*] It contains only top quotes, no quoted quotes.

Wow, I'm honored to be a top quoter and quotee, but don't quote me on that...

descor wrote:
patzer wrote:Another option would be to reclassify such "periods" as epochs, and have the whole journey until they meet the river as a period. Not all periods would be divided into epochs.

That's not a bad suggestion, although my OCD wouldn't let me stop at just subdividing the journey period - I'd want to go back and subdivide all the periods and that way madness lies!

Why? Eventually you'd subdivide until you could classify them all individually by "Frames," which I believe is what Lord Randall intended.

Or we could forget about it and talk about the semencancercoffeebabies. *puts up hearsay accusation shield*

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon May 06, 2013 1:19 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
descor wrote:

Would that make you a Framist?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon May 06, 2013 1:29 am UTC

Anybody else thirsty? There's been a lot of great cake today, and some amazing cupcakes (which SOMEBODY ate all up) *looks around guiltily* but not too much to drink (just ask Megball).......
In honor of the Outside's Cinco de Mayo: a pitcher of margaritas. Also some lemonade.

Spoiler:
pitcher.jpg
pitcher.jpg (7.75 KiB) Viewed 11160 times

Spoiler:
lemonade.jpg
lemonade.jpg (7 KiB) Viewed 11149 times

edited for admission, sorta, of guilt, and addition of nonalcoholic beverage
Last edited by fhorn on Mon May 06, 2013 1:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 06, 2013 1:32 am UTC

*guzzles* *wipes* Thanks, fhorn.

Thanks, 123Adz321! I guess one loop fake-out is all Randall will attempt.

I like your Frames idea, StratPlayer. (Yes, you're probably just being witty. :P)
EDIT: Future thanks to StratPlayer. P.S. This doesn't ruin anything, see his Part II. :)
Last edited by azule on Mon May 06, 2013 2:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:33 am UTC

Smithers wrote:"fail" perhaps, but a lot less painful than "success".

Indeed.

Well, slightly less painful.

Or at least, somewhat greater chance of survival. Reduced again, though, if you go "shpluck."
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

vvn

Postby vvn » Mon May 06, 2013 1:40 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:Or at least, somewhat greater chance of survival. Reduced again, though, if you go "shpluck."

New dive for the Olympics. Quadruple flip, with 3 twists, from the Trebuchet.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 1:48 am UTC

And now I'm current, with a wall of Ketchup-Replies II:

Valarya wrote:
Lol that would be a great band name: Remorse and cupcakes. Glad you enjoyed them! :mrgreen:

Tried Googlfying it, but couldn't find a band that already has that name. But I did find you some sort of FanFic called Cupcakes Full of Remorse. Will that work?

And speaking of FanFic:

ucim wrote:There are the sounds of trumpets. The lights come on to reveal the courtyard of a mighty castle. Banners are hung, torches are lit, and final preparations are hurriedly being made for the arrival of One who is Most Esteemed....

azule wrote:It's time for another tale. A firefox tail. ;)

Just wanted to let you both know that I enjoyed your work! It's awesome seeing all the creative input that goes into this OTT! It's truly what enables me to keep Waiting For It.

ChronosDragon wrote:Indeed, cake holds explanatory power over many of the events of the comic. Why are M&C building castles? Where do they come from? Who is LaPetite? An acceptable answer to all these questions would of course be cake.

Well, then, this calls for another nugget of CAKE!!!

descor wrote:
fhorn wrote:Black cliffs of D'over there?

Ahahahahaha. I am actually properly laughing at this!

Yes indeed -- beautiful punnery, there fhorn!

Sciscitor wrote:So... now I've played around a bit with my new dataset and thus created a very simplified graph visualization of this thread. Circle size corresponds to posting count, clockwise position to being-quoted-count. The blue lines are quotes - the darker and wider, the more quotes. The dataset is rather massive so I had to prune it to the top posters/quoters/quoted. (I would also like to guide your attention to the fact, that there is no visible line between His Holiness Pope Helper and cmyk.) Enjoy!
ott1.jpg

Jeez, that's beautiful!!!! Amazing work!

Oh me yarm -- Time is broken!!!
descor wrote:I like to think that right now a massive klaxon is blaring and red lights are flashing while Randall grabs an emergency tool box before making an intrepid trip through cramped corridors filled with smoke to reach the server room where he has to defeat a highly intelligent computer virus (you know, like the ones in movies which 'mutate' to counteract everything you do) to bring xkcd back online...

YES! With a loud, audible countdown interjected between the klaxon blasts: "45 seconds until self-destruct..."

descor wrote:With thanks to MostCynical: here is an updated flowchart which may be slightly less heretical! (Also it has a 'Start' now, which was bugging me!)
End of the OTC3.png
(Click to enlarge)

Amazing flowchart! And so I guess, I'm a... quasi-determinant conclusionist with occasional streaks of loopistism...

descor wrote:Am I to undersand that these puns are humourous?

With puns, you either get it or you don't. They're kinda like the venereal disease of humor...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon May 06, 2013 1:53 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote: With puns, you either get it or you don't. They're kinda like the venereal disease of humor...

Given that description, I'd like to sign up for "don't," please.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon May 06, 2013 1:59 am UTC

fhorn wrote:
StratPlayer wrote: With puns, you either get it or you don't. They're kinda like the venereal disease of humor...

I got it from Agnes.

On another note, for some reason it took the better part of a month to come back to me that, long, long ago in my misspent youth, probably my early teens, my younger brother went through a phase of being somewhat obsessed with various made-up words, which would be used more or less like "smurf" is used in sentences. But, one of the most persistent of those words that he would use (and I'd sometimes partake in) was a simple, monosyllabic "ONG". (Yes, it was pretty clearly pronounced with caps.) And now, *mumble* years later, it's all come back around again. I guess I better sign up with the Loopies.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon May 06, 2013 2:00 am UTC

On that note . . .
ONG!!

Added: That's four in a row now that have been right on time for me, withing 60 s at least. Seems all better now.
Last edited by KarMann on Mon May 06, 2013 2:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Mon May 06, 2013 2:01 am UTC

I'm so worried that no matter how great the ending is, assuming there ever is an ending, it can't possibly live up, or feel satisfying, after we've waited over a month now for it and counting. How could it possibly? Won't it be a huge letdown no matter what? Unless it keeps going forever, I guess, in which case it will be a gradual letdown, like that time when I was 12 and I was praying and hoping and wishing with all my heart that my friend Catherine Noel would come home and he never did. I'm not sure when, exactly, I gave up completely, but over a year later when we had moved away to a new house, I remember waking up in the middle of the night and crying because I missed him so much. So maybe since Cuegan know so little about their world, they could explore forever, and only gradually find stuff out, but after a year of things going so slowly, of watching the internet equivalent of grass growing, surely I'll be disappointed and disaffected enough to go away and only check the OTC and the OTT every month, or every few months, or something like that. I think that let down is starting to hit me now. Save meeeeee! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

htom

Postby htom » Mon May 06, 2013 2:03 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
fhorn wrote:

Spoiler:
I got it from Agnes.

On another note, for some reason it took the better part of a month to come back to me that, long, long ago in my misspent youth, probably my early teens, my younger brother went through a phase of being somewhat obsessed with various made-up words, which would be used more or less like "smurf" is used in sentences. But, one of the most persistent of those words that he would use (and I'd sometimes partake in) was a simple, monosyllabic "ONG". (Yes, it was pretty clearly pronounced with caps.) And now, *mumble* years later, it's all come back around again. I guess I better sign up with the Loopies.
/[quote]

Well, if you're exposed, you have to warn others before engaging in social activity with them.
Last edited by htom on Mon May 06, 2013 2:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon May 06, 2013 2:03 am UTC

dammit! No dialogue. And time to coma here.
All the elves get busy making toys and dialogue while the east coast comas (doth coma?).
Good luck with that dialogue, elves, and make it snappy!

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon May 06, 2013 2:04 am UTC

Tatiana wrote:I'm so worried that no matter how great the ending is, assuming there ever is an ending, it can't possibly live up, or feel satisfying, after we've waited over a month now for it and counting. How could it possibly? Won't it be a huge letdown no matter what? Unless it keeps going forever, I guess, in which case it will be a gradual letdown, like that time when I was 12 and I was praying and hoping and wishing with all my heart that my friend Catherine Noel would come home and he never did. I'm not sure when, exactly, I gave up completely, but over a year later when we had moved away to a new house, I remember waking up in the middle of the night and crying because I missed him so much. So maybe since Cuegan know so little about their world, they could explore forever, and only gradually find stuff out, but after a year of things going so slowly, of watching the internet equivalent of grass growing, surely I'll be disappointed and disaffected enough to go away and only check the OTC and the OTT every month, or every few months, or something like that. I think that let down is starting to hit me now. Save meeeeee! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

so it goes.
go watch toy story. It'll make you feel worse.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 2:06 am UTC

Tatiana wrote:I'm so worried that no matter how great the ending is, assuming there ever is an ending, it can't possibly live up, or feel satisfying, after we've waited over a month now for it and counting. How could it possibly? Won't it be a huge letdown no matter what? Unless it keeps going forever, I guess, in which case it will be a gradual letdown, like that time when I was 12 and I was praying and hoping and wishing with all my heart that my friend Catherine Noel would come home and he never did. I'm not sure when, exactly, I gave up completely, but over a year later when we had moved away to a new house, I remember waking up in the middle of the night and crying because I missed him so much. So maybe since Cuegan know so little about their world, they could explore forever, and only gradually find stuff out, but after a year of things going so slowly, of watching the internet equivalent of grass growing, surely I'll be disappointed and disaffected enough to go away and only check the OTC and the OTT every month, or every few months, or something like that. I think that let down is starting to hit me now. Save meeeeee! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I understand your sadness, but I think that with Time, like life, much of the point is the journey, not the destination. Even if Time ended on the very next B/D/GONG with nothing more than a "Well, that's all, Folks!" sign, I'll feel fulfilled in a lot of ways, simply because this long, strange trip here in the OTT has been amazing.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon May 06, 2013 2:09 am UTC

htom wrote:Well, if you're exposed, you have to warn others before engaging in social activity with them.

I HAVE been exposed to puns! Right here on the OTT!!! :shock:
This has been a Public Health announcement.
ergman wrote:so it goes.
go watch toy story. It'll make you feel worse.

Way harsh, Tai.

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Mon May 06, 2013 2:10 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:

I understand your sadness, but I think that with Time, like life, much of the point is the journey, not the destination. Even if Time ended on the very next B/D/GONG with nothing more than a "Well, that's all, Folks!" sign, I'll feel fulfilled in a lot of ways, simply because this long, strange trip here in the OTT has been amazing.

Question is, if that were to come to pass, how many of us would still be compulsively checking the comic, for how long, on the off chance that it was just yet another way for Randall to fuck with us, and it was actually going to restart at some point? Especially if it were identical images with unique hashes hourly.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 2:11 am UTC

htom wrote:
KarMann wrote:
fhorn wrote:

Spoiler:
I got it from Agnes.

Well, if you're exposed, you have to warn others before engaging in social activity with them.

...uh. Whoops. Well, you remember when I delurked to join this thread shortly after the start of the OTC? Consider yourself retro-warned...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 2:15 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
fhorn wrote:

I got it from Agnes.

*nods knowingly*

See? As I've said before -- it's ALL related.

htom

Postby htom » Mon May 06, 2013 2:24 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

Yes. The journey has been worth the time, even though I will have to find a way to skim through the OTT, I've got more real life to deal with. I never expected this -- either the comic or the thread.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon May 06, 2013 2:25 am UTC

Tatiana wrote:I'm so worried that no matter how great the ending is, assuming there ever is an ending, it can't possibly live up, or feel satisfying, after we've waited over a month now for it and counting.
Spoiler:
How could it possibly? Won't it be a huge letdown no matter what? Unless it keeps going forever, I guess, in which case it will be a gradual letdown, like that time when I was 12 and I was praying and hoping and wishing with all my heart that my friend Catherine Noel would come home and he never did. I'm not sure when, exactly, I gave up completely, but over a year later when we had moved away to a new house, I remember waking up in the middle of the night and crying because I missed him so much. So maybe since Cuegan know so little about their world, they could explore forever, and only gradually find stuff out, but after a year of things going so slowly, of watching the internet equivalent of grass growing,
surely I'll be disappointed and disaffected enough to go away and only check the OTC and the OTT every month, or every few months, or something like that. I think that let down is starting to hit me now. Save meeeeee! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Well, since the OTT has begun to assume roughly the proportions of The Lord of the Rings (even containing some ROT13 gibberish Elvish poetry) and seems likely to surpass the entire Harry Potter series, whenever you get that let-down feeling you could always go back to the beginning and blitzgirl back through the entire thing. That should revive your spirits for a while. :-)
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 06, 2013 2:31 am UTC

Tatiana wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm so worried that no matter how great the ending is, assuming there ever is an ending, it can't possibly live up, or feel satisfying, after we've waited over a month now for it and counting. How could it possibly? Won't it be a huge letdown no matter what? Unless it keeps going forever, I guess, in which case it will be a gradual letdown, like that time when I was 12 and I was praying and hoping and wishing with all my heart that my friend Catherine Noel would come home and he never did. I'm not sure when, exactly, I gave up completely, but over a year later when we had moved away to a new house, I remember waking up in the middle of the night and crying because I missed him so much. So maybe since Cuegan know so little about their world, they could explore forever, and only gradually find stuff out, but after a year of things going so slowly, of watching the internet equivalent of grass growing, surely I'll be disappointed and disaffected enough to go away and only check the OTC and the OTT every month, or every few months, or something like that.
I think that let down is starting to hit me now. Save meeeeee! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

That is too sad, Tatiana. :cry: You're starting to take me with you. About the cats, that is. I think we're all mature enough not to let the OTC affect us the way a living creature would. I hope you'll be fine. They're not cats. :)

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon May 06, 2013 2:35 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
For anyone still confused about what is going on with the camera, I've created this helpful animation which may shed some light on the situation. It's not particularly accurate to the landscape, but it gets the point across I hope :)
[warning - large filesize, may be slow to load]

Brillilant, ChronosDragon! Maybe YOU could be the one to animate BlitzGirl's fab creation for us.

Humm...I hadn't thought about it like that. Honestly, I'd be honored to, though I'm not sure I could do it justice. First and foremost we'd need clips of all of us singing our lines, so I'd have something to animate to :idea:

KarMann

Postby KarMann » Mon May 06, 2013 2:41 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
For anyone still confused about what is going on with the camera, I've created this helpful animation which may shed some light on the situation. It's not particularly accurate to the landscape, but it gets the point across I hope :)
[warning - large filesize, may be slow to load]

Brillilant, ChronosDragon! Maybe YOU could be the one to animate BlitzGirl's fab creation for us.

Humm...I hadn't thought about it like that. Honestly, I'd be honored to, though I'm not sure I could do it justice. First and foremost we'd need clips of all of us singing our lines, so I'd have something to animate to :idea:

Sorry, but me singing my ". . . and all its hatted folks" line would be a violation of a very specific amendment to the Geneva Conventions.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon May 06, 2013 2:44 am UTC

New data available.

Also 2 new features in early1 development...

Ad hoc charts:
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Customchart

User stat pages (links from the credits page)
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits

1very
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 06, 2013 2:46 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:New data available.

Ad hoc charts:

1very

Excellent so far! Keep it up!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 06, 2013 2:57 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

Ad hoc charts:

1very

I know xkcd fora etiquette frowns on posts that are simply "me, too" or "+1", so let me say "I absolutely agree with HAL", and then go on to add some other constructive insight more on-topic to this thread, so that this response is elevated beyond simple me-too-ism:

Spoiler:
Hey, has anyone ever noticed the javascript for this comic?

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 06, 2013 2:59 am UTC

ucim wrote:That commandment, handed to us from On High, is both simple, and challenging. It is, if I may utter the words myself without feeling inadequate:
Wait For It.
In this is written all of life.

ucim, great job! (Had to find time to read this as not to be nerd-sniped into the past. *tsk-tsk*) I especially love the cliffhanger (castlehanger?). I was considering doing that with my similarly timed story. Will there be a part II?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:01 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:

Ad hoc charts:

1very

I know xkcd fora etiquette frowns on posts that are simply "me, too" or "+1", so let me say "I absolutely agree with HAL", and then go on to add some other constructive insight more on-topic to this thread, so that this response is elevated beyond simple me-too-ism:

Spoiler:
Hey, has anyone ever noticed the javascript for this comic?

That should not have made me laugh as hard as it did.
EDIT: ooh, Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer! It was due to a newbie post being approved, but I still have the first post on 545 when the newpage first appeared, so it counts!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon May 06, 2013 3:06 am UTC

You know, I have thought a bit about what I'll do {when|if} the OTC {begins to loop|comes to an end}.

What I think I'd like to do is find a "slide-show" screen-saver, one that will let me specify the order of slides instead of choosing them randomly. Then I'll set the slide speed so that the entire run of the comic will take just slightly longer than my lunch break, and see if I can get somebody at work to ask me, "Doggone it! Just what happens at the end?"

(Curious and irrelevant note: The forum spell-checker knows doggone.)
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 06, 2013 3:10 am UTC

ARMSTRONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”