1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

fhorn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fhorn » Tue May 07, 2013 2:24 am UTC

Coma. Where's that hatstand? Don't want to crush my new finery in my sleep.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 07, 2013 2:36 am UTC

I wonder if La Petite is one of the people in the hills.
[edit]
Post 5 on page 555!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 07, 2013 2:44 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:More blindposting:
StratPlayer wrote:Ok. But I'm still claiming a "called it!" if we start panning into an overhead view... Even if it looks like the one BlitzGirl showed. :D

I KNOW that I proposed ending with an overhead pan AGES ago!!! But don't recall if it was a first (I try (not always successfully) not to worry myself about the "called it!" thing, but this time I must insist...)(as long as I actually DID call it. Otherwise, nevermind!)

Exodies wrote:
Tatiana wrote:Ohmygosh I love my hat! Thanks, buffygirl! You're the best!

She's good. If only this Tread had an avatar mitten maker of similar calibre.

(thank you and) OH NO YOU DI'N'!

Sciscitor wrote:
azule wrote:Sciscitor Section:
Sciscitor wrote:
Spoiler:
Some remarks on the dataset:
  • Of course it is closely correlated to the top quoters in the OTT.
  • It contains only top quotes, no quoted quotes.
  • If someone of the professionals on here could point me to a visualization tool for Linux that can digest a graph with about 800 nodes and about 9000 weighted edges I would be very grateful (my usual CLI tool, i.e. graphviz, forsaked me for this, it simply took too long even on an eight core, 16GB box). And no sorry: Gephi looks fine but I would like to avoid installing Suns jre and jdk.

Could you clarify the "top quotes" statement. A single quote is obvious. With a nested quote, I would call the "newest comment" the bottom quote because that is where the statement is usually placed. But to clarify myself, you do mean the "newest quote", right?

Sure... I only counted original quotes, not quotes nested into quotes. With "top quote" I am refering to the first quote inside the posting, the one that may contain other quotes.

So... now I've played around a bit with my new dataset and thus created a very simplified graph visualization of this thread. Circle size corresponds to posting count, clockwise position to being-quoted-count. The blue lines are quotes - the darker and wider, the more quotes. The dataset is rather massive so I had to prune it to the top posters/quoters/quoted. (I would also like to guide your attention to the fact, that there is no visible line between His Holiness Pope Helper and cmyk.) Enjoy!
ott1.jpg

LOVE THIS GRAPH!
This is also telling me that I am spending WAAAAY too much time on the OTT. Especially since I have hats to make.

HAL9000 wrote:Ooh! Idea! Combine this with one of Kieryn's charts, and put the day that each of the top 100 quoted users first posted in the thread!

I don't think I've ever "heard" you "sound" so girly!

Ooh indeed! As soon as I have time, I intend to include quote tree data. I need to put in quite a bit of work for that... for a start I gotta take all the data out of memory cache and put it in a database.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 07, 2013 2:56 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
astrocub wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Kieryn wrote:I think I'm close to 90 newpages behind... but for now I wish to contribute more than catch up. I strongly feel there will come a Time when It arrives, and that will be when I can sit back and follow the trail once more.

With that said, I'm sorry if I am duplicating anything... did anyone make this image yet?

Frames 1096- 1120:

mscha animated the island section, and there was a 3d version of that part as well, but nobody's posted something showing all of them at once. Thanks!

Cool, glad I did something original :-) I thought it would be a good way to visualize the shape of the landscape.

One thing to note from that picture is how much they have shrunk as they travel up the river. I would assume that since they are getting smaller the camera is kind of zoomed out more. Or maybe the camera is fixed and its taking an x-ray view of them as they travel further away. Either way the river would be getting wider and we would need to zoom it in so M&C are the same height in all frames to compare the width of the river.

I think they only really shrink in the last 3 frames, so until that point I think the picture is fairly accurate.

Great visualization! Would it be difficult to make it again with the last three or so scenes are scaled up?

I'll see if I can get to work on that. Resolution may not be too good though.
EDIT: VMPC. I swear I'm not doing this intentionally. It just happens when I post this often.

I just realized there are 25 frames in this image. That's just one newpix over an outsider day.

EDIT: Realization 2) In this rendition the distance between CMs is not constant, so if their walking speed and the time between each frame is constant then the vertical distance between each frame should vary in such a way as to keep CMs distance between frames constant... sorry if that's confusing. Does anyone else understand and has time to explain better?
Image- Kieryn

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:00 am UTC

CUEGAN GOES MARCHING ONGGGG BY ONGGGG
(HURRAH, HURRAH)
Crescat tempus; vita excolatur

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Okay, here we go. The new river, (approximately) even with the current scale. Sorry about the quality, this is what happens when Preview is the closest I have to an image-editing software.
It's pretty darn wide.
Attachments
big_river(to_scale).png
Last edited by HAL9000 on Tue May 07, 2013 3:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 07, 2013 3:03 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
Kieryn wrote:New data available.

Also 2 new features in early1 development...

Ad hoc charts:
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Customchart

User stat pages (links from the credits page)
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits

1very

Hey one more thing you could add that should be quite easy would be a newPix to forum location converter. Just have an entry box where you type in say 500 and it will then do the maths to convert that to a date and then find the ID of the first post after that day and either display a link to the forum at that post or redirect to their straight away. I added this feature to the Book of Time but I have been lax at updating it manually.

You can also get it to display the newPage number which can be calculated by dividing the post count by 40 (assuming you store all the posts in order and can get a post count figure)

You could also possibly display a table newpix on the left and newPage on the right (with the newPage being also a link to the first post on that newpix). could also add columns for who the first poster was. And later add options to add a link to display a graph or table of all posters of that newpix.

Anyway just some ideas.

Done (at least in part): http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/ForumNavigator

Though unfortunately this highlights my lazy lack of precision in calculating newpix and post dates. Sorry... I'll clean up and fix eventually.
Image- Kieryn

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue May 07, 2013 3:10 am UTC

WARNING: SEA-LIKE REPLY WALL BELOW. SPOILERED FOR SAFETY.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:The mustard distracted from the narrative of the One True Comic by remaining static while the terrain and Cuegan both moved! And look, how we all spent TimeFrames and TimeFrames discussing something that WAS NOT MEANT TO BE by the great Lord Randall! It was supposed to be another contemplative journey period, but nooo, we got mustard all over it. :(

<snip>We got way more off-topic for way more Time, and yet, we are still here.
Also, being part of the OTC, the Mustard is actually on-topic.

I never said it was off-topic, I said it was heretical. That's an important distinction.

It's as important as the one between sand and water.

Copernicium112 wrote:It does make sense that Lord Randall (despite his omnipotence) would not have the capacity to keep up with the forum in his original capacity.

:?: What's the definition of "omnipotence" again?

StratPlayer wrote:What, you mean like THIS???

Dracomax wrote:The Core was worse for Science.

AHHH!!! MY EYES!!! THEY BURN!!!

Dracomax wrote:Also, the presence of Bruce Willis makes it about 20% more watchable than it would be otherwise.

Agreed.

XonqNopp wrote:Is there still people talking about the actual topic of the OTT, the OTC? Reading the last posts, it gives me the impression that what happens here is more important than what happens in the OTC... :lol: :mrgreen:

Oh, no. Are we all heretics?

cellocgw wrote:Well, I hate to break it to you, but the whole thing is a setup. With the exception of you (Dracomax) and me (and I'm not quite sure about me, actually), all the posts are generated with a collection of postbots Randall repurposed from his bigcoin mining toolset. All you real-people browsers out there: don't try to post or you will be assimilated!

I can assure you I'm not a bot. No bot would be capable of doing what I did below (wait for it).

Dracomax wrote:
burpen wrote:
descor wrote:Could you not just skip the ketchup posts you don't like?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nam eu iaculis felis. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Duis et ipsum neque, vitae luctus lorem. Vivamus vel dictum lorem. Donec facilisis, lorem blitz venenatis consequat consectetur, dolor nisi volutpat ante, nec molestie Here's sapien dolor dapibus eros. Aliquam mollis molestie auctor. Cras sed feugiat sapien. Nullam congue dapibus metus vitae tempor. Donec placerat, quam in pharetra imperdiet, enim eros fringilla libero, consequat porta ligula mauris non est. Pellentesque sodales nisl eget odio scelerisque hendrerit. Duis tristique purus ac metus consectetur pulvinar. Vivamus volutpat cursus dignissim. Duis elementum rutrum tellus et convallis. Cras lorem mi, bibendum convallis porttitor in, vehicula ut dui.

Cras consequat nulla volutpat sem bibendum aliquam. Praesent non tincidunt velit. Nam non leo erat, non ultrices nisi. Praesent luctus semper convallis. Duis enim justo, ullamcorper ac fringilla eget, tincidunt nec quam. Cras convallis porta luctus. Praesent pulvinar vehicula massa non ornare. Ut blitz condimentum sapien justo, in vulputate nulla. In sed lectus what odio, eget eleifend magna. Cras ut nisl diam, condimentum ornare nunc. Suspendisse a sem sed neque volutpat luctus non vitae est. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Duis vel velit eget magna imperdiet bibendum. Cras eget urna mauris. Phasellus libero lacus, venenatis id placerat vel, malesuada sit amet quam. Curabitur sollicitudin feugiat eros, facilisis posuere justo tincidunt ut.

Donec in erat magna, et rutrum elit. Suspendisse quam felis, dapibus a ultrices nec, consectetur eget magna. Morbi consectetur nisl nunc, vitae commodo neque. Duis arcu nisi, tempus vitae blitz scelerisque et, faucibus quis ipsum. Mauris ac turpis arcu, ultrices tempor est. Vestibulum at tortor eros, sed posuere magna. Aliquam tempus, nisl a tempor interdum, dui that lacus semper quam, ut tincidunt mi enim vitae augue. Integer eu enim in est pulvinar tincidunt vitae nec turpis. Duis mauris turpis, mollis at venenatis a, consectetur ut lacus.

Vivamus eros justo, auctor vel consectetur eu, rhoncus et leo. Donec vel tortor quam, vel adipiscing dui. Ut rutrum leo dui. Fusce sit amet lectus augue, ac adipiscing mi. Aliquam blitz risus arcu, viverra sit amet suscipit ac, congue in velit. In eu mi luctus arcu viverra porta vel id lectus. Proin nibh dolor, fermentum non auctor ut, placerat eget lectus. Quisque non tincidunt dolor. Nam blandit ultrices turpis, non sodales mauris fringilla vel. In ac ornare enim. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur feels adipiscing elit. Maecenas sed quam tortor. Cras pulvinar arcu ac risus tristique sit amet condimentum urna accumsan. Mauris ultricies fringilla metus iaculis gravida. Pellentesque id nunc in augue lobortis dignissim. Nullam tincidunt tincidunt mi sit amet gravida.

Vivamus pellentesque nibh non lacus lacinia eu laoreet odio mattis. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Praesent sit amet molestie blitz nisl. Phasellus ac leo id quam dapibus blandit laoreet ac eros. Etiam accumsan eros et erat ultrices sollicitudin. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Praesent ac urna ac diam aliquet lacinia like.1 Cras at sapien neque, sit amet commodo ante. Suspendisse eget justo diam. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Curabitur sapien mauris, tristique ut semper vitae, facilisis eget augue. Nulla mauris odio, sodales dignissim tincidunt a, congue eu lacus.

1 When you don't care about all of that information.

Defacing Lorem Ipsum is heresy. I hereby sentence you to 5 minutes listening to bad comedians. Here's Carrot Top.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRCbFU481nw

Negative. Lorem Ipsum is outside the jurisdiction of the Inquisition.

Dracomax wrote:
fhorn wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I wonder if Randall created Time in hopes that it would spawn a lengthy thread on the fora, giving him something to read when he's bored?

That would have to be some serious, serious boredom.

It would also imply that Randall was precognisant enough to realize how much more crazy we'd be this time than every other time.

Heresy. There is no such thing as "other time".
As you're the Inquisitor, we'll need someone else to handle you. Any volunteers?

Angelastic wrote:HELP ME, IT'S TAKING OVERMESSAGE REDACTED

$ /sbin/sudo /sbin/kexec -l /root/db/virtpeople/Angelastic@forums.xkcd.com/syskrnl -x
Welcome back, Angelastic. Are you feeling alright?

Sjö wrote:Cueball really is cueless, isn't he?

FTFY

Valarya wrote:wouldn't "Pi" page be 314 instead of 341?

Not on the US.

descor wrote:To be fair, everything had to be ratified by buffygirl. Somehow she seized power after Helper went AWOL - the rest of us meakly settled for minor roles in her puppet government.

I believe she rose to power after 1) giving me a sleeper hat and 2) selling her soul (and who knows what else1) to the mods demons.

1 I do. Hats. And rats.

HAL9000 wrote:I know some may consider this heretical, but I'm going to continue to use regular Earth days, months, and years. Others are welcome to join me in sticking to methods predating Time.

Offer accepted.

azule wrote:xip = a collection of newpix, the word resembling "zip", like a zip-file, and it is "pix" backwards.

EndOfTime.xipple (at least that's how I pronounce it)

Latent22 wrote:And how many xips do we have in our week? 7? do we have wip'ends to rest and recover?

Time and tide wait for no one.

And now, the grand finale:
yappobiscuits wrote:Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

I. can't. stop. listening. to. this.
Apologies to anyone using dial-up, but...

Boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada…

Oh, and a cake for you folks:
IMG_20130506_145136.jpg
Boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada… (yes, I took the photo myself) boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada…
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

htom

Postby htom » Tue May 07, 2013 3:13 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:OK, back from the outside and excuse the blindpost, but Ineed to get current with the latest Time events. However, the very first thing I wanted to do was listen to this, since I couldn't download it from work:

yappobiscuits wrote:
Exodies wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:<snip>
Edit: oh. The instrumental I have is longer than the original. Anyone wanna write a fourth verse? :D Or it could just keep going "boom de yada" for a slightly awkwardly long amount of time...

I could do you a custom instrumental track if you want :) (I'm a musician/composer/producer type dude, not that anyone would know that yet as I haven't really properly introduced myself on these fora... but hey, you know now!)

Sure, whip it out as Frank would say. I think everyone would be delighted to hear it.

Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

That is really very, very good yappo!!! I love the instrumentation and your signing is actually wonderful for the song -- understated, very on tempo, perfect inflections. I play guitar fairly decent I think, but I can't sing my way out of a wet paper bag -- compared to me, Bob Dylan, Joe Walsh, and Neil Young sound like the Three Tenors. But you have a great voice! I'd say this was a fabulous job!

Now to ketchup....

Yappo, that's superb. Just right. Catches the mood of both the OTT and the OTC. Boom de yada, bood de yada, ....
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 07, 2013 3:15 am UTC

And assorted ketchup stuff:

Angelastic wrote:To the tune of River Valley by Moxy Früvous:

Very nice!!! I really like how you worked LaPetite in there, too! :D

mikrit wrote:Death looked long and hard at the board. The abbot waited to see what long-term, devious strategies were being evolved. Then his opponent tapped a piece with a bony finger.
"REMIND ME AGAIN", he said, "HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE."
-- Small Gods, Terry Pratchett

:D Great quote!!! (Oh, and I see HAL agrees in just another few posts)

Opiboble wrote:Has helper gone missing again??? I am starting to think we will have to put her missing milk carton on a milk carton...

Zompie Popes are always wandering away... He probably accidentally had a leg fall off and is now stuck somewhere, lurching in an endless circle. We should probably organize a search party. Although... With Helper gone, I'm expecting cmyk to show up at any minute...

lmjb1964 wrote:Ballroom Blitz! I can't believe someone didn't come up with this sooner. Why didn't I think of that? Another perfect StratPlayer effort.
<snip>
Groooaann... and then you ruin it with a terrible pun. (I'm kidding. I love puns, and that whole thing made me laugh. You crack me up too!)

Thanks! On both accounts. :D

vvn wrote:
Valarya wrote:Also, wouldn't "Pi" page be 314 instead of 341? :P

Not if you start at digit 1419. Probably a prediction for the end of the OTC.

Damn! Wish I had said that...

LankieBlonde wrote:Hi. Decided to post an update of how far I am. I'm on page 38. Cueball is fixing the first castle after having falling and knocking part of it over.
Bye :D

Now how's that for a short and succinct BlitzReport???

Kieryn wrote:
buffygirl wrote:More blindposting:
StratPlayer wrote:Ok. But I'm still claiming a "called it!" if we start panning into an overhead view... Even if it looks like the one BlitzGirl showed. :D

I KNOW that I proposed ending with an overhead pan AGES ago!!! But don't recall if it was a first (I try (not always successfully) not to worry myself about the "called it!" thing, but this time I must insist...)(as long as I actually DID call it. Otherwise, nevermind!)

And Buffygirl -- I now realize I absolutely have no rights to "called it" -- your prediction WAY predated mine...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:31 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Copernicium112 wrote:It does make sense that Lord Randall (despite his omnipotence) would not have the capacity to keep up with the forum in his original capacity.

:?: What's the definition of "omnipotence" again?

Yeah, I suppose that sentence is a bunch of word garble. Maybe quasi-omnipotent would be better. Or great and powerful, since that has a nice ring. It is erroneous to assert that TGLR is simultaneously omnipotent and incapable of something. I should proofread more critically.

The cake is certainly elegant.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue May 07, 2013 3:35 am UTC

AluisioASG... maaaan. I know you warned me, but I figured it was just a normal wall of text replies. That annoying giant wall of "boom de yada's" took 22 page-downs (though why I even went to the bottom of it is beyond me. Call me a completionist.) and then 22 page-ups to hide the spoiler. Not. Cool. :?

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:

Ad hoc charts:

1very

Hey one more thing you could add that should be quite easy would be a newPix to forum location converter. Just have an entry box where you type in say 500 and it will then do the maths to convert that to a date and then find the ID of the first post after that day and either display a link to the forum at that post or redirect to their straight away. I added this feature to the Book of Time but I have been lax at updating it manually.

You can also get it to display the newPage number which can be calculated by dividing the post count by 40 (assuming you store all the posts in order and can get a post count figure)

You could also possibly display a table newpix on the left and newPage on the right (with the newPage being also a link to the first post on that newpix). could also add columns for who the first poster was. And later add options to add a link to display a graph or table of all posters of that newpix.

Anyway just some ideas.

Though unfortunately this highlights my lazy lack of precision in calculating newpix and post dates. Sorry... I'll clean up and fix eventually.

You guys make fancy stuff! This page has helped show me I've posted up 7 newpix in the history of the OTT, which means I can never post another newpix again because seven is the one¹. Thanks! :mrgreen:

¹ : wut?

edit: formatting and hats on cupcakes:
Spoiler:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:39 am UTC

Valarya wrote:AluisioASG... maaaan. I know you warned me, but I figured it was just a normal wall of text replies. That annoying giant wall of "boom de yada's" took 22 page-downs (though why I even went to the bottom of it is beyond me. Call me a completionist.) and then 22 page-ups to hide the spoiler. Not. Cool. :?

I just clicked at the top of the scrollbar (I have it set to "jump to mouse" rather than "page toward mouse") and page-downed to the spoiler from the top.

Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
Ad hoc charts:
1very

Anyway just some ideas.

You guys make fancy stuff! This page has helped show me I've posted up 7 newpix in the history of the OTT, which means I can never post another newpix again because seven is the one¹. Thanks! :mrgreen:

Well, having the first post of the hour doesn't mean that you posted the newpix. Sometimes the newpix has been late, and sometimes people post things after the newpix has updated at xkcd.com but before it's posted here.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue May 07, 2013 3:44 am UTC

Valarya wrote:AluisioASG... maaaan. I know you warned me, but I figured it was just a normal wall of text replies. That annoying giant wall of "boom de yada's" took 22 page-downs (though why I even went to the bottom of it is beyond me. Call me a completionist.) and then 22 page-ups to hide the spoiler. Not. Cool. :?

AluisioASG wrote:SEA-LIKE REPLY WALL BELOW

I warned you.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue May 07, 2013 3:45 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
Ad hoc charts:
1very

Anyway just some ideas.

Well, having the first post of the hour doesn't mean that you posted the newpix. Sometimes the newpix has been late, and sometimes people post things after the newpix has updated at xkcd.com but before it's posted here.

Right. I see what it does, now. Even though you burst my bubble, it's still nifty.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:47 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
Ad hoc charts:
1very

Anyway just some ideas.

Right. I see what it does, now. Even though you burst my bubble, it's still nifty.

In case there are any bubble fragments still floating around, I have 16 on-the-newpix posts.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 07, 2013 3:48 am UTC

More delicious cake!1 And what a great party mix!3
fhorn wrote:Hey guys, did you see my new hat??!? 8-)

Snazzy!

ucim wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:11. BlitzGirl's referenced here directly or by footnote at least three times; it's embarrassingly obvious I've developed a crush on her.
Who hasn't? :)

You sillies! Luckily, I believe crushes fall under the courtly love portion of the code of the Knights Temporal, so having a thread-crush is not a punishable offense.4 Yet.

Oh, and I like the updated song. :)

1When is the OTT fitness plan2 going to be implemented?
2My guess is that it will involve lots of walking. With bags.
3Boom de yada, boom de yada, et al.
4If it ever becomes one, I think Helper and opiboble will be the first ones in trouble. :wink:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

fatness

Postby fatness » Tue May 07, 2013 3:53 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:You sillies! Luckily, I believe crushes fall under the courtly love portion of the code of the Knights Temporal, so having a thread-crush is not a punishable offense.4 Yet.

Time for coma. Read that as '...the Courtney Love portion of the code...', which is an entirely--and I mean ENTIRELY--different code.

g'night.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue May 07, 2013 3:59 am UTC

fhorn wrote:
ucim wrote:
fhorn wrote:Yes, but what of the monopoly? What if I wish to sell butter? It can only be done... wait for it....... THROUGH HER
Well, here is an idea for how to do that. :)

:? It's not really clear to me how throwing a ripe tomato—as hard as I can—at a cake is going to get me that buttermongering license.

I LOL'd. Startled the baby.
Funny thing is, I followed that link, and found it neato enough that I totally forgot what it was supposed to illustrate.

After I read all of the newpage, I scrolled up to quote you... LOL'ed again. The baby gave me a look.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:00 am UTC

To ford the River
Long distances they travel
Upstream they move ONGGGG

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue May 07, 2013 4:02 am UTC

Ran into "Adafruit explains how to build your very own HAL 9000 for less than $100", and immediately thought of....

They don't seem to link to the Adafruit article, Which is the picture that made me think of our friend.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:05 am UTC

vvn wrote:Ran into "Adafruit explains how to build your very own HAL 9000 for less than $100", and immediately thought of....

They don't seem to link to the Adafruit article, Which is the picture that made me think of our friend.

Awww that's so cute! I may have to construct a mini-me!

htom

Postby htom » Tue May 07, 2013 4:17 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
vvn wrote:Ran into "Adafruit explains how to build your very own HAL 9000 for less than $100", and immediately thought of....

I hope my wife doesn't see that. I have enough too many projects already, and go to escape them through coma.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:21 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:

That's great thanks :D

looks to be about 7 newpix off at the end there

1144 5/6/2013 7:09:00 PM Latent22 554 <- this one is newpix 1151 so out by 7
1 3/25/2013 4:31:00 AM joee 4 <-- this is the second one on your list and its is really newpix 16 so that is out by 15.

Also note there is no 0 newpix and 1 should be the very first post on the thread

Also have to get the newpix 240 point right which is tricky.

My guess is you have a pesky timzone date issue with your maths

here are some of my newpix to post comparisions for your referene:

Spoiler:
1 3301860 25/03/2013 4:09
2 3301876 25/03/2013 4:31
3 3301895 25/03/2013 5:05
239 3312210 30/03/2013 3:00
240 3312258 30/03/2013 3:30
241 3312317 30/03/2013 4:00
242 3312402 30/03/2013 5:00

Note the times I have here are in GMT/UTC time and just around the start and the 240 point where it changes.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:28 am UTC

htom wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

I hope my wife doesn't see that. I have enough too many projects already, and go to escape them through coma.

Coma? That sounds like a great idea! See you all tomorrow!

traisjames

Postby traisjames » Tue May 07, 2013 4:31 am UTC

I really hope at the end of all this Randal gives an interview or blog posting about this comic.

tman2nd

Chapter 3 of the Gospel of tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue May 07, 2013 4:37 am UTC

1st update
Progress: 14/555 (-352 pages)1

The first sand castle is being built. There have been many dark predictions about cancer, miscarriages etc.
ziphi wrote:What are they seeing, what are they waiting for? I hope there's no problem in his family or anything like that.

To that, I respond with another post.
cegan09 wrote:I think you guys are determined to believe something bad is going to happen.

All i've seen so far is two characters enjoying a (i presume) beach. Laying in the sun, shaking sand out of your hair, going to the water, all of these are normal things to do.

I think people are reading way too into things like the hair. These are all hand drawn images, the lines are not always perfectly the same width. Going through life assuming the worst of everything is a terrible way to go.

Exactly!2

Firsts
Spoiler:
Envelope Generator wrote:
Eplicas wrote:Ignoring how exactly he's doing this, one thing I've noticed between the images is that the drawing style is slightly different each time, while the position has been relatively the same save for the third picture. Perhaps this is a recollection of how he's become better at drawing and developed his style as time has gone on? The third picture could be a representation of the time when he used that style there perhaps were hard times between the two of them. Thoughts?

My thought: http://xkcd.com/915/

First reference to Connoisseur.3
PolakoVoador wrote:Randall does it again: massive nerd sniping

First reference to nerd sniping.
iisjreg wrote:Something jumps out of the water.

called it :D

First of many of this kind of prediction to come.
oshkosh1346 wrote:Anybody else notice the slight changes in the tides? It rippled slightly before the guy stuck his foot in the water and have risen slightly again in the last two panels.

First notice of the rising tide.
drummerpatch wrote:
brenok wrote:
kaley wrote:
brenok wrote:I believe he was talking about those animated gifs that have been posted on this thread

Yes, SHE was talking about the animated gifs being posted because she knows PNGs are static. :)

Sorry. Was unsure about the gender, and just went for the most probable :oops: . Maybe I should try finding something gender-neutral

Use "they". Using it as a gender-neutral third-person singular has been around for a long time, is very commonly used in literature and in everyday discussion (most people don't realise they say it, but they do), and is easily understood.

First discussion on gender neutral pronouns.

All firstposts so far from hatted people.
Spoiler:
Goggalor wrote:The image just changed for me at 1:10am.

EDIT: Either I am hallucinating or the original image just updated itself to the newer image.

1st page. :D
Angelastic wrote:I just want to say I don't think it's morbid. I don't think Randall is making us wait and refresh and refresh and script and hack just to say at the end 'HA! Something terrible happened! :P :| to me or my wife! :cry:' Sure, if enough time passes, people/universes will disappear, and maybe that will happen here, but time will pass first and it will be lovely, poignant, funny, surprising, tedious etc. rather than morbid. Time!

manvandmaan wrote:Been following the comic and this thread all day, today.

I guess you could call it art, as it makes people stop and think about it.
Really fascinating to see what all the different people make of it and how we all try to work together to unravel the mystery and try to 'beat' time :)

Someone should put this in a museum, somehow. Right next to #1110 and other XKCD pearls.

I'm so curious as to what will happen next, but I'm sure it will be beautiful.

azule wrote:I don't think the images are on the server (probably being uploaded via script every ½ hour), so even if you could hack in you'd get an error. Unless, maybe you hacked into his personal computer.

ExplainXKCD says we're a botnet (check there for more info) running Randall's ever changing script for some unknown end. I, jokingly, submit that:[nestedspoiler]we're processing a cure for cancer.... Don't hurt me! :cry:[/nestedspoiler]

My guess so far is that the comic is simply getting us all to appreciate the time we have, that the small things in life (sitting around, playing in the sand, etc.) are not a waste of time, they're important. Maybe even sitting around obsessing over this comic is too. Hah! Maybe...

BytEfLUSh wrote:
Davidy wrote:I think the joke here is the time all the programming/hacking geeks are spending trying to figure this out. All will be revealed 4/1/2013.

*ahem*

You mean 2013-04-01?

KarMann wrote:
Moose Anus wrote:Sandcastle. Tide comes in. Dead-ass castle.

My hobby . . . .
"Dead ass-castle." Hmm.

patzer wrote:New Image

AluisioASG wrote:It seems that the Bitcoin address has been there for a while.

That or DuckDuckGo is mixing new content with old titles.

Other pastposts.
Spoiler:
Aubron wrote:I made a quick thing to view everything thus far, and I'm working on making it auto-update.

http://aubronwood.com/singlefileprojects/xkcd.php

The Book of Aubron is written.
woktiny wrote:You guys stare at it all day. I'm going to wait for the DVD release.

You'll miss out on all the fun. :(
As this poster puts it.
Djehutynakht wrote:Well, you know, this is a comic that's really only for the dedicated, committed viewers. Namely, us. It's a comic for us. Unless you're part of this community constantly tracking its progress, recording it in gifs, etc. it doesn't have quite the same meaning.

Now what happened to you? :|
ctdonath wrote:
oshkosh1346 wrote:Has anybody else noticed the changes in the tide levels? It rippled after the first couple panels and now has risen slightly in the last hour.

Ya know, it's easy for us landlubbers to under-appreciate tidal changes.
We parked our stuff on the beach one fine day and went for a walk down the shore. We passed a telephone pole jammed into the sand, marked off in one-foot intervals, with "High Tide" marked on top. It was so high (some 16 feet or so) we just giggled at it and continued on - maybe on some fluke it might get up there, but here? now? nah. Half hour or so later we wander back up the beach. We get to the pole. It's got about 3 feet poking out of the water. I freaked, ran ahead, and discovered some nice lady had - several times - pulled our stuff (esp. wallet & keys) out of the encroaching waters.
I'd be impressed if this scene ended with the couple leaving 'cuz their pleasant shoreline was under water.

Kind of what happens. The tide does rise to the point where the entire part beach seen in what is now my present is submerged.
So rooks were mentioned from the early days newpix of Time.
Davidy wrote:I think the joke here is the time all the programming/hacking geeks are spending trying to figure this out. All will be revealed 4/1/2013.
[/quote][/quote]
Ha! So they thought it would end so soon! :)
Found this in somebody's sig. I wonder what that's about? I'll have to wait for it.

1 I have already read pages 194-546, so I can skip those
2 Of course, I have the benefit of having lived in the future present.
3 Or to any othercomic.
Last edited by tman2nd on Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue May 07, 2013 4:40 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

They also have the blue lens for SAL 9000. You could build a friend. :)
Add: If only they had a version with a hat....

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue May 07, 2013 4:45 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:"Ketchup Blitz"
(to the tune of "Ballroom Blitz" by Sweet

Spoiler:
Are you ready HAL?
(uh-huh)
Buffy?
(yeah)
BlitzGirl?
(okay)
Well, alright Waiters -- let's go!!!

Oh, it's been getting so hard,
Waiting when there's so much more to see, aha
My screen is getting so strange,
I won't remember everything I read

Oh, there's a post with a graph
as a matter of fact, with colors as red as the sun
and before I recover, I come to another --
it blurs into the previous one

Oh yeah, posts come like lightning
Everybody is typing
Plus there's music and and photos
and bad puns and inuendos
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

And the girl with hats says
"my queue is stacked" and I'm stuck in a ketchup blitz
And the gif that's annoying needs
to have a warning -- it'll wreck your ketchup blitz!

Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz

Oh, I trying to be ketchup'd
But there's nothing I can do
except keep reading over
posts from the past until I am through, aha

Now the post with the graph's
been quoted with a laugh, and everyone seems to try
to newpic on the gong, or post a cool song --
I'll be ten pages behind 'til I die!

Oh yeah, it seems electric
and frantically hectic,
Because the more I keep reading,
Still the future's receding!

Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz

It's, it's, a Ketchup Blitz
It's a Ketchup Blitz!!!

Ballroom Blitz! I can't believe someone didn't come up with this sooner. Why didn't I think of that? Another perfect StratPlayer effort.

Actually, what I've been half-expecting to see is some Ramones fan coming up with the lyrics to "BlitzGirl Bop". I had been meaning to do this, but regrettably haven't had the TimeTM.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

tman2nd

Chapter 4 of the Gospel of tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue May 07, 2013 4:56 am UTC

Added: I forgot to mention how in the early parts of the OTT there was a lot less quoting and posts were shorter on average.
Last edited by tman2nd on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 07, 2013 5:08 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:Added: I forgot to mention how in the early parts of the OTT there was a lot less quoting and posts were shorter on average.

We didn't know each other so well back then.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

fatness

Postby fatness » Tue May 07, 2013 5:08 am UTC

BELONG

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue May 07, 2013 5:17 am UTC

fatness wrote:BELONG

Weeeeee beelong, we belong we belong we belong togetheeeeeer

That's what popped into my head anyway. I haven't even heard that song in a long time, and a quick google search reveals it's 13 years older than me.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue May 07, 2013 5:41 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
tman2nd wrote:Added: I forgot to mention how in the early parts of the OTT there was a lot less quoting and posts were shorter on average.

We didn't know each other so well back then.

Alternative explanation: people were using etiquette from other fora where what you were referring to was prolly only a few posts back, and ketchingup was routine. Now, on this forum, quoting is vital as your reply may be a few pages from its source and lotsa folks will only ketchup the last page or two.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue May 07, 2013 5:51 am UTC

Ebonite wrote:
Spoiler:
[
lmjb1964 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:"Ketchup Blitz"
(to the tune of "Ballroom Blitz" by Sweet

i]Are you ready HAL?
(uh-huh)
Buffy?
(yeah)
BlitzGirl?
(okay)
Well, alright Waiters -- let's go!!!

Oh, it's been getting so hard,
Waiting when there's so much more to see, aha
My screen is getting so strange,
I won't remember everything I read

Oh, there's a post with a graph
as a matter of fact, with colors as red as the sun
and before I recover, I come to another --
it blurs into the previous one

Oh yeah, posts come like lightning
Everybody is typing
Plus there's music and and photos
and bad puns and inuendos
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz

Oh, I trying to be ketchup'd
But there's nothing I can do
except keep reading over
posts from the past until I am through, aha

Now the post with the graph's
been quoted with a laugh, and everyone seems to try
to newpic on the gong, or post a cool song --
I'll be ten pages behind 'til I die!

Oh yeah, it seems electric
and frantically hectic,
Because the more I keep reading,
Still the future's receding!

Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz

It's a Ketchup Blitz!!![/i]

Ballroom Blitz! I can't believe someone didn't come up with this sooner. Why didn't I think of that? Another perfect StratPlayer effort.

Actually, what I've been half-expecting to see is some Ramones fan coming up with the lyrics to "BlitzGirl Bop". I had been meaning to do this, but regrettably haven't had the TimeTM.

A wag suggested using this title as a label for the act of reading the OTT from beginning to now. The suggestion met with some disdain. I assumed it was because there had been an unfortunate incident involving the Ramones, and possibly a plastic chair and an old guitar strap, and a member of the Temporals.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Tue May 07, 2013 5:53 am UTC

Yay for zooms! And yay for shifts! And yay for excessive consumption of LSD? Yay!
And a data/time-indicator was added to the Holy Book of Aubron!
Anyway, not dead or missing. Merely caught up in the horrors of the Outside (TM), so no need for a milk carton.
Although I am partial to cereal boxes :D
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue May 07, 2013 6:01 am UTC

WALK ONG

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Tue May 07, 2013 6:06 am UTC

Uh oh, I think this is really the end. We now know everything about the rivers and the sea and the hill people, and the comic will just loop through the same walking scenes over and over. and over.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue May 07, 2013 6:08 am UTC

What is the song, ChronosDragon?

ucim wrote:Are these decimal wips or common wips (or natural wips)? We have the opportunity to remake the calendar, let's not screw it up or we'll be stuck with the results for all time and for all of Time.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe 1 wip = 144 newpix.

vvn wrote:They also have the blue lens for SAL 9000. You could build a friend. :)

I have an affinity for VAL. Image In a way, we are all in our own octogons. 1000+ of them. How long can we go and maintain enough sanity to make it to the end? Or will we just hang on forever not knowing all others have given up and gone home?

Helper wrote:Yay for zooms! And yay for shifts! And yay for excessive consumption of LSD! Boom De Yada! Boom De Yada! Boom De Yada! Boom De Yada!

FTFY. Damn song. I finally listened to it. It's worse than the haiku. Which I mean, as an addiction. *sigh*

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Tue May 07, 2013 6:09 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Angelastic wrote:It's true, I got the ham and cheese sandwiches part from her. But if I must have an official title, BlitzGirl, could you knight me as a Knight Temporal? Since I did show you the way to become the very first Knight Temporal.

Oh! I did not know I had this power. :D

I, BlitzGirl, Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, bestow upon thee, ...

I would be honored to be a Knight Temporal, and doubly honored to be knighted by BlitzGirl.

azule wrote:
azule wrote:xip = a collection of newpix, the word resembling "zip", like a zip-file, and it is "pix" backwards.\

wip = week;
mip = month;
yip = year.

Yes to xip. We are all stuck in the Outsider rhythm, so we need a term for 24 Newpix.

I don't think we need the other units. For longer intervals, we can use numbers or SI prefixes, or even Outsider units.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”