1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

foilman

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby foilman » Tue May 07, 2013 11:01 am UTC

Tong!
Hehe, a few kids. LaPetite reference.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 07, 2013 11:02 am UTC

vvn wrote:
Valarya wrote:Also, wouldn't "Pi" page be 314 instead of 341? :P

Not if you start at digit 1419. Probably a prediction for the end of the OTC.

Okay, here's my prediction.
If and when the OTC ends, the final frame number will occur somewhere in the decimal expansion of π.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Arky

Postby Arky » Tue May 07, 2013 11:04 am UTC

foilman wrote:Tong!

Randall's trolling us again.

Yeah, just a few people have noticed the sea rising :lol:
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Tue May 07, 2013 11:08 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Looks like more server problems; that's why I ended up posting the oldhash before. My server hadn't gotten the last two before I noticed, and I'm having trouble getting the connection to behave, and not getting the NewPix in the web page either. :P :evil: FWIW, servers c3, c4, and c5 seem to be problematic, so far.

Added: All my c.xkcd.com servers, too; 107.6.97.{99,101,102} :cry:

It's been 3h now that I could not load the Time anymore :( So please everyone who can see it, post NewPix when they come so that I can see them. Thanks!
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:15 am UTC

This has got to be one of the most important dialogue frames yet- more talk of inside time, does this suggest what we've seen of the OTC has taken place over days within the comic? And suggests more specifically than before that they come from a community, rather than being almost completely isolated.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:16 am UTC

I wonder who the 'Us' she is referring to. Does she mean all stick-figure/human kind? Is it winter this time of year and no sane person goes to the beach but a few kids? We have more questions than we have answers as usual.

Also it implies that the sea level rise is not normal. Like they have been next to the sea for a long time and never seen it rise like this. And now they are on a trek to find out why the #$#@ it has all changing now. And who is ruining our sandcastles!

foilman

Postby foilman » Tue May 07, 2013 11:19 am UTC

It is starting to suggest some kind of post-apocalyptic society to me.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Tue May 07, 2013 11:22 am UTC

Has someone done a summary containing all the dialogue - and nothing else? I see explainXKCD has a list of all the frames including dialogue, but I didn't find the dialogue on its own. There's getting to be quite a lot of it...
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 07, 2013 11:24 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Looks like more server problems; that's why I ended up posting the oldhash before. My server hadn't gotten the last two before I noticed, and I'm having trouble getting the connection to behave, and not getting the NewPix in the web page either. :P :evil: FWIW, servers c3, c4, and c5 seem to be problematic, so far.

Not so surprising...
Spoiler:
c.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.101
c.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.102
c.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.99
c0.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.99
c1.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.99
c2.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.99
c3.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.101
c4.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.101
c5.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.101

c6.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.102
c7.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.102
c8.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.102

Eutychus wrote:Has someone done a summary containing all the dialogue - and nothing else? I see explainXKCD has a list of all the frames including dialogue, but I didn't find the dialogue on its own. There's getting to be quite a lot of it...

Well, http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Dialogue redirects to http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/The_Litany_of_Time, which has all of the dialogue, but not quite in pure form, or with references to frame numbers and such.
Maybe they should be uncoupled and maintained separately?

Megan wrote:I wonder how high the water is now.
Cueball wrote:I wonder if other people have noticed. It's been days.
Megan wrote:Not a lot by the shore this time of year.
A few kids, maybe.

A La Petite¹ reference, as others have mentioned; and an explanation why we haven't seen any other people (at least on the beach). But even more interesting: “It's been days.” Does that mean that days have pased on the Inside since the beginning of time, even though it hasn't been dark? Or simply that the sea was already rising for days before they went to the beach?

Also a prediction: we might briefly cut away to the beach soon, and see how much is left of the castles, and whether La Petite¹ has been doing anything interesting.

¹: I still believe it's BlitzGirl in disguise, even though she's denying it.
Last edited by mscha on Tue May 07, 2013 11:36 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue May 07, 2013 11:34 am UTC

mscha wrote:

Not so surprising...
Spoiler:
c.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.101
c.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.102
c.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.99
c0.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.99
c1.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.99
c2.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.99
c3.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.101
c4.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.101
c5.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.101

c6.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.102
c7.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.102
c8.xkcd.com has address 107.6.97.102

Yeah, that would make sense. My usual c?.xkcd.com checking is only by a simple script, so I don't generally see the addresses from that. When I go to c.xkcd.com, it's usually by wget, which shows the redirects and multiple IP addresses and such.

Added: c6.xkcd.com, i.e. 107.6.97.102, at least, has just come back to life, got the JavaScript³ stream data.

Added²:
mscha wrote:
A few kids, maybe.

A La Petite¹ reference . . . .

Only the true LaPetite would deny her petiteness!

1: not my footnote!
2: not anyone's footnote!
3: Hey, did anybody notice this yet?
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 07, 2013 11:54 am UTC

So LaPetite is one of few kids huh. I reckon they have taken over and the structure is now over 80 meters high.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue May 07, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

TENTS-ONG!
Last edited by Flotter on Tue May 07, 2013 12:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Tue May 07, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

So... They were camping?

Oh, and the servers are working again :D
Last edited by XonqNopp on Tue May 07, 2013 12:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue May 07, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:And here's our weekly reminder: What If... (#44): High Throw

Obviously he gets heavy-duty giraffe scaffolding from the same IKEA as Megan's sandcastle supplies.
Giraffes in successive images: 1, 7, 11, 33, 75, 87.

yappobiscuits wrote:Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

Yappo, I somehow kept skipping over your recording. I finally listened to it, and it's charming! I hope you take it as a compliment when I say it's reminiscent of an old Herman's Hermits track. Different accent, of course, but the same optimistic, happy-with-life feeling that made them so likable.

Your voice is just fine. I'm no professional, but I've spent a lot of years listening to people sing around campfires late at night, and I can tell you: You'd've been a hit at any bardic circle I've ever been in. Nice work with the "Bboz dr yndn," indeed. (As for people who wondered if you twerked that electronimagically, they need to listen to some Bobby McFerrin. It's amazing what trìcks the human voice can perform.)

P.S. Oh, dear. Trìcks becomes trìckses. Is this some lingering symptom of Madness, or are we about to have a new outbreak?
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 07, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

Re: zoom level during the “follow them from far behind” phase:
Latent22 wrote:Looking closely the zoom is very slight. Only really get shorter in the last 2 frames. Most of the other frames they are a very consistent height. Maybe the last two frames where we can see the steep far side bit the zoom has changed but it was constant before that

I created an animated Cuegan image at the time, but that was after only 17 of the 25 frames. Here's an updated one with all 25:
Indeed, no zoom, except maybe at the very end. With these pixel counts, it's hard to measure reliably, but overall, the scale is about 12 pixels/cue, and in the final frames it seems to drop to about 11.

And now to the present:
XonqNopp wrote:So... They were camping?

Or a refugee camp?

We certainly seem to be in some kind of Information Era...
Last edited by mscha on Tue May 07, 2013 12:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue May 07, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:So LaPetite is one of few kids huh. I reckon they have taken over and the structure is now over 16 giraffes high.

FTFY.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Tue May 07, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

(Greetings from NP548!)
Dracomax wrote:
VoronX wrote:I still think that's a matter for the Inquisition, chocolate, liquorice, and stakes. <snip>

Wait, wait... The inquisition doesn't use stakes. Stakes aren't funny--that would be uncivilized. We use Steaks. but we don't cook them to order. What have you people been up to while I've been gone?

Steaks, not cooked to order??? *shudders* What a Cruel and Rare punishment! Don't know how civilized, though...Well done, Lord High Inquisitor!!!
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue May 07, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

I'm worried about Great Lord Randall. I'm afraid Megan might have been devoured by a giraffe.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 07, 2013 12:09 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Kieryn wrote:So LaPetite is one of few kids huh. I reckon they have taken over and the structure is now over 16 giraffes high.

FTFY.

We already have an official unit of length.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Tue May 07, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

(Greetings from the Present!)
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
A few kids, maybe.

A La Petite¹ reference, as others have mentioned; and an explanation why we haven't seen any other people (at least on the beach).
But even more interesting: “It's been days.” Does that mean that days have pased on the Inside since the beginning of time, even though it hasn't been dark? Or simply that the sea was already rising for days before they went to the beach?

I think it's been days since Cuegan first mentioned the sea was rising. Perhaps darkness is relative - at night, the ground would still be darker than the sky...
mscha wrote:Also a prediction: we might briefly cut away to the beach soon, and see how much is left of the castles, and whether La Petite¹ has been doing anything interesting.

I had the same thought exactly!!!
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue May 07, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

So, days and years have now been mentioned in the OTC. Does this mean they are no longer regarded as heretical outsider units?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Tue May 07, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

Tents! The plot thickens. Or perhaps thins. Actually I think this plot could be said to be distinctly oobleckian.

It definitely sounds like Megan is referring to other people's tents, not their own. And the tents are well above sea level, as they're not in imminent danger of getting wet. The people in the hills maybe? As somebody mentioned, it's all a bit post-apocalypticky.

But with all those building supplies lying around freely available for construction of sandcastle-superstructures, why is everybody living in tents?

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 07, 2013 12:21 pm UTC

patzer wrote:So, days and years have now been mentioned in the OTC. Does this mean they are no longer regarded as heretical outsider units?

Inside days (and other time units) have never been heretical, although we don't know how to convert them to newpix/TimeFrames (or Outside units). It's Outside days that are heretical.

mscha wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:

FTFY.

... which we can now sorta reliably convert to other units, based on these images from today's toikositetranewpix' What If:
Spoiler:
Image Image

1 giraffe = 2.68 cue = 5 m. So 1 cue is 1.87 m (about 6'1½" for those of you that still live in the (Outside) 18th century). Hmm, that's taller than I'd expect him to be.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Arky

Postby Arky » Tue May 07, 2013 12:52 pm UTC

xpatiate wrote:Tents! The plot thickens. Or perhaps thins. Actually I think this plot could be said to be distinctly oobleckian.

It definitely sounds like Megan is referring to other people's tents, not their own. And the tents are well above sea level, as they're not in imminent danger of getting wet. The people in the hills maybe? As somebody mentioned, it's all a bit post-apocalypticky.

But with all those building supplies lying around freely available for construction of sandcastle-superstructures, why is everybody living in tents?

Because it is a time of por-tents. Although with the sea rising I'm surprised they have time to worry about the state of their camping equipment. #discworld
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue May 07, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

azule wrote:<snip>
I have an affinity for VAL.

People have been calling me Val online for 9 years. This is a little weird, and a tad bit exciting. :shock:

Bytes wrote:Hello all, it's been a long time.
.... are hats still in fashion, or have we moved onto feather boas? If we have I'm screwed on account of having no neck...

Of course hats are still in fashion! Our illustrious Buffygirl made you one several newpages ago.. so go fetch it!

XonqNopp wrote:So... They were camping?

Maybe they weren't camping, but others were? Definitely getting a lot of information here... with seasonal mention, kids, tents, stuff floating in their river because of people in the hills? I don't know what's going on anymore.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 07, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

Ketchup post! currently trying to figure out what's wrong with spoilering in it!Please excuse the wall o' text, but spoilers have failed me...
Spoiler:
[spoiler]
SBN wrote:
jovialbard wrote:[spoiler]ETA: also, I kinda like the wallposts, seeing as I don't read it all they help scoop out the best bits as people catch up.

Not completely sure if there is a consensus, but from what I've seen, I'd recommend.
    Clearly label Blitzposts as such.
    Don't make them too frequently.
    Don't quote other Blitzers in your Blitzposts.
    Do toss forward Firstposts, if the poster still has a low post-count. (If they've gone on to post many times, they've probably been assimilated.)

For Ketchup posts, as distinct from Blitzposts, just try to be fresh, succinct and relevant.

For everyone, use trimming and spoilering thoughtfully.

Please discuss.

These seem reasonable as suggestions. I too will leave the subject there, as I never really intended it to go beyond a snarky comment in the first place.
Spoiler:
[spoiler]
Valarya wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
While past-posting is being discussed: PhoenixRising said:
I was just waiting for this. WP. (Also: this reminds me, I propose you be given the title of Witmaster. Although I don't have exact numbers, I'd swear you have more wikiquotes than anyone else, and most of those were humor.)

and I, in my HUMBle1-ness thought it was directed at me because I was in the quote used. I then saw {later} that it was directed at StratPlayer, which makes oodles more sense. (At least I didn't put set up a sig using that)

Edit added footnote
1Head Up My Butt -look everyone-

:lol: It's all good. I've also made replies to comments that weren't directed at me; wrote bad-verse with messed up meter because I couldn't count syllables (and went out of my way to call attention to it); got excited because I was the Pope of the "Pi" page -- on page 341 (and went out of my way to call attention to it); and -- most recently -- have posted a link to some gay porn fanfic that I didn't bother to read first.

And those are just the examples of cranial-rectal-insertion that have been caught....

So it was you I was paraphrasing when I was being called out about saying we passed 1190 frames while we were only at 1090.... (I did mention I was paraphrasing.)

Yesterday I noticed that 1000 (outside ) "hours" had passed Since The Beginning Of Time itself without a mention of it here on the OTT. However it did occur during the height of the server glitch that was on everyone's minds at the time.
Coincidence?

Also, wouldn't "Pi" page be 314 instead of 341? :P

Dislexic Pi is the best pi.
Spoiler:
pelrigg wrote:
KarMann wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
VoronX wrote:(Greetings from NP 537!)
ucim wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Hey, we gotta welcome the newbies. The colorized frame I reuploaded (I forget who uploaded it initially) was around before the inquisition existed, so it should be grandfathered in.
I think that colorized representations of One True Frames can be awesome - demonstrated already by the recent ones. They are not heresy at all; they are an artistic comment, much like the twenty thousand literary comments we have been making here. Strictly speaking they could all be considered unnecessary, as the frames speak for themselves, but they do add the necessary space between the frames which allow the One True Comic to be experienced even after the time of Time. So, they really are necessary, and the colorized frames are more than welcome.
Thus speaketh the Pope of the Holy Contradiction.

I still think that's a matter for the Inquisition, chocolate, liquorice, and stakes. Fanart is fine though. But not canon. I don't think I've seen these past colorized frames you speak of...

Wait, wait... The inquisition doesn't use stakes. Stakes aren't funny--that would be uncivilized. We use Steaks. but we don't cook them to order. What have you people been up to while I've been gone?

Spoiler:
But since it's meant to be a form of torture, we can still burn them¹, right?

1: Antecedent? What's an antecedent?

Exactly, forcing someone to eat a burnt steak would be torture.

Edit
Speaking of burning, it smells like my cousin has started a fire, must go see what's up. {Not a bad fire, but "Oh, look at the all that wood just waiting for a match" fire}

Personally, I was thinking about sending the steaks in a balistic trajectory from orbit. Burnt on the outside, ablated and frozen.
Spoiler:
descor wrote:
SBN wrote:
fhorn wrote:
SBN wrote:
Angelastic wrote:So many popes/momes/motes, knights and cardinals, but we don't have any archdeacons yet. Can I be the Archdeacon of Buttermongery?

Yes, but what of the monopoly? What if I wish to sell butter? It can only be done... wait for it....... THROUGH HER :shock: This is the only condition set on commerce that I know of here on the OTT.

p.s. Angelastic, your River Valley post came up shortly after my original question, and I swear I SCOURED that thing for a mention of butter, thinking it was a response! :lol:

It was quite a lawless time in the OTT then, posters were able to claim titles and rights as they saw fit, and no one complained, for they saw their own chance to seize some power for themselves. And, now it has all been codified, so changing it will be a lot of effort. But hey, feel free to grab some other monopoly for yourself.

To be fair, everything had to be ratified by buffygirl. Somehow she seized power after Helper went AWOL - the rest of us meakly settled for minor roles in her puppet government.

That's not entirely true. She only ratified those things specifically pertaining to the Timewaiters. Her power came from being the only archbishop left after everyone else dissapeared in mysterious circumstances, leaving her as the only one with the authority to ordain new Timewaiter clergy. Other churches were formed at that time, and all kinds of people declared things willy-nilly with only vague rules as to how to go about it.

If there was no higher organisation, the rule was wait 2 or 3 pages, and if nobody called you on it, you got to keep it. It was truly a more lawless time, and we were forgin organisations and civilization from the wilderness, pioneers and explorers. I Think one of the Hals shot Liberty Valence at one point.
Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:
Caswallon wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
I know directly mentioned "delta" here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=21200#p3347603

and I swear I heard crickets as a response,
Two pages, later, "Hey, I think they're on a delta"

Where's my blankie when I need it..........

Edit
me and my speling

Just came across this quote from perlrigg. I think the one constant that we can count on in this thread is that every idea and theory will be posited at least twice, with the second (third, fourth, fifth, etc.) positer being absolutely sure they have just come up with the most brilliant original idea. Done it myself. It's not necessarily a bad thing. WIth this many posts, it's pretty unlikely anyone's going to remember everything that's been said. It's just proof that

1) we all spend way too much time (by which I mean just enough time) thinking about the OTC, and
2) great minds think alike....and so do ours.1

1 This is a joke, of course. I'm always amazing at the collective knowledge and cleverness on the OTT.2
2 Speaking of jokes, a while ago someone posted, "When will the drinking stop?" to which I replied, "I say that same thing every night." It's always bothered me that I didn't add a "just kidding." I hate to think that my fellow Waiters are all thinking, "Gee, that's really sad." I mean, it's true, but I don't want you guys thinking that.3
3 It's not really true.4
4 I'm sure that someone in the future has commented on the most recent OTT about footnotes being evidence that Randall follows the OTT at least to some degree. If so, I agree. A little too coincidental, methinks.

Of course, that has led to the fun game of "Have you actually read this thread? Someone already mentioned that here, here, and here. And it was explained with a really cool graph/picture here."1

1Has anyone noticed the javascript?2
2Dude! The images are incoded with Hashes! has anyone broken it yet!3
3Has anyone started a religion yet?

4Hey, has anyone noticed that the image keeps changing?

no, please elaborate!
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
vvn wrote:I watched the Doctor Who episode "Power of Three", and was hugely amused at:
(snip)
This seemed to fit so perfectly in with the OTC, it felt like they were in sync.

Forgot about that. Indeed it fits. That probably means that (note: proper spoiler for this episode of Doctor Who!):
[spoiler]in a year, we'll have come to the conclusion that the newpix are harmless ... and that's when they come to life and start killing us!

Quick! Get the Doctor here in about a year!
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:
azule wrote:
azule wrote:xip = a collection of newpix, the word resembling "zip", like a zip-file, and it is "pix" backwards.\

wip = week;
mip = month;
yip = year.

Simple and easy to remember. I like!
Except that it is utterly heretical, according to the original TimeWaiters doctrines.

I suppose I'll have to get around to doing something about that...eventually. Until then, obey the commandment.
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
fatness wrote:
htom wrote:Four different lengths for an OutMonth, and one of those has a variable number of OutDays!

Indeed. Shall that be in a leapyip?

I know some may consider this heretical, but I'm going to continue to use regular Earth days, months, and years. Others are welcome to join me in sticking to methods predating Time.

And there you go, making eventually now. You are here by sentenced to be dipped in movie theater butter, covered in salt, and placed in a Kindergarten classroom. There will be no naptime.

Spoiler:
AluisioASG wrote:Negative. Lorem Ipsum is outside the jurisdiction of the Inquisition.

Nothing is outside the juristiction of the inquisition. For the heresy of suggesting it is, I sentence you to say the word "juristiction" over and over again until it loses all meaning.
Dracomax wrote:
fhorn wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I wonder if Randall created Time in hopes that it would spawn a lengthy thread on the fora, giving him something to read when he's bored?

That would have to be some serious, serious boredom.

It would also imply that Randall was precognisant enough to realize how much more crazy we'd be this time than every other time.

Heresy. There is no such thing as "other time".
As you're the Inquisitor, we'll need someone else to handle you. Any volunteers?

Fair enough. I'll accept whichever punishment is found fitting.
Alos, that's a lot of boom de yadas. thanks for spoilering them.
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:More delicious cake!1 And what a great party mix!3
ucim wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:11. BlitzGirl's referenced here directly or by footnote at least three times; it's embarrassingly obvious I've developed a crush on her.
Who hasn't? :)

You sillies! Luckily, I believe crushes fall under the courtly love portion of the code of the Knights Temporal, so having a thread-crush is not a punishable offense.4 Yet.

Oh, and I like the updated song. :)

1When is the OTT fitness plan2 going to be implemented?
2My guess is that it will involve lots of walking. With bags.
3Boom de yada, boom de yada, et al.
4If it ever becomes one, I think Helper and opiboble will be the first ones in trouble. :wink:

So long as you keep it pure and chaste from afar...
Spoiler:
foilman wrote:Tong!
is this the first indication of how long it's been in comic?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue May 07, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Ketchup post! currently trying to figure out what's wrong with spoilering in it!

What's wrong is that spoilers can't be nested. (Unless you mean why some people don't like it, in which case, it is because they have to scroll back up to close the spoilers, being OCD types.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue May 07, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

VoronX wrote:(Greetings from the Present!)
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
A few kids, maybe.

A La Petite¹ reference, as others have mentioned; and an explanation why we haven't seen any other people (at least on the beach).
But even more interesting: “It's been days.” Does that mean that days have pased on the Inside since the beginning of time, even though it hasn't been dark? Or simply that the sea was already rising for days before they went to the beach?

I think it's been days since Cuegan first mentioned the sea was rising. Perhaps darkness is relative - at night, the ground would still be darker than the sky...

That's what I've thought, since there's just black and white, there's no way of showing night. I think when you see them doing nighty things, it's night. The loop tease looked like camping for the night to me, and when Cueball buried their trash, that looked like breaking camp in the morning. (I imagine the "It's pretty neat, though" was said looking over the river at sunset.)

I think there may have even been more than one day at the beach, though I find it not obvious where the break was... maybe just after "It's been fun, though!" Although if it was there, I would have expected more than two uninhabited frames. The staggered disappearances felt like leaving for meals to me. I would have said that it was night when Megan slept on the scaffolding, but then what was La Petite doing up?

Edited for spelling
Last edited by ggh on Tue May 07, 2013 1:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 07, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

AAANDTHEYVEGONGOFFSCREEN

Time for a change of scene, methinks.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue May 07, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
mscha wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:

FTFY.

... which we can now sorta reliably convert to other units, based on these images from today's toikositetranewpix' What If:
Spoiler:
Image Image

1 giraffe = 2.68 cue = 5 m. So 1 cue is 1.87 m (about 6'1½" for those of you that still live in the (Outside) 18th century). Hmm, that's taller than I'd expect him to be.

I see no conflict myself. Randall has specified the giraffe as a unit of altitude, specifically; the cue is still a valid unit for length in general.

As to the cue:giraffe ratio, I don't think the What-If article is the best resource for gauging this. Randall seems to be portraying athletes with his giraffes rather than average males; for instance, Aroldis Chapman, specifically mentioned, is 6'4" (1.93m) tall. I suggest we standardize the ratio as 3 cue : 1 giraffe, making 1 cue = 5/3m (about 5'5-5/8").
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Tue May 07, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Eutychus wrote:Has someone done a summary containing all the dialogue - and nothing else? I see explainXKCD has a list of all the frames including dialogue, but I didn't find the dialogue on its own. There's getting to be quite a lot of it...

Well, http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Dialogue redirects to http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/The_Litany_of_Time, which has all of the dialogue, but not quite in pure form, or with references to frame numbers and such.
Maybe they should be uncoupled and maintained separately?

It's a public holiday here tomorrow - and the day after. If I don't get work from some client in another, non-bank holiday country, I'll see if my wiki-fu is up to it. Maybe.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 07, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I see no conflict myself. Randall has specified the giraffe as a unit of altitude, specifically; the cue is still a valid unit for length in general.

Yes, but it's an Outside unit, making it heretical.

jjjdavidson wrote:As to the cue:giraffe ratio, I don't think the What-If article is the best resource for gauging this. Randall seems to be portraying athletes with his giraffes rather than average males; for instance, Aroldis Chapman, specifically mentioned, is 6'4" (1.93m) tall. I suggest we standardize the ratio as 3 cue : 1 giraffe, making 1 cue = 5/3m (about 5'5-5/8").

Good point about the athletes.
Your standardisation makes sense, but Patzer already edited the OTW article to state that one cue == 0.35 giraffe. Which makes sense as well, and results in easier conversion factors, so I'd say we stick with that one.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue May 07, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

ggh wrote:That's what I've thought, since there's just black and white, there's no way of showing night. I think when you see them doing nighty things, it's night. The loop tease looked like camping for the night to me, and when Cueball buried their trash, that looked like breaking camp in the morning. (I imagine the "It's pretty neat, though" was said looking over the river at sunset.)

The day/night comment reminds me. . .we've seen Cueball sleep, although Megan didn't let him sleep for very long, at least as measured in newpix. Have we actually seen anybody *eat* anything? We've seen them drink from their containers, and attempt to drink from the river, but we haven't seen anything that looks like solid food consumption.

Maybe their containers are filled with a high-calorie substance or space food or something. :D
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 07, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
mscha wrote:
mscha wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:

FTFY.

Spoiler:
Image Image

I see no conflict myself. Randall has specified the giraffe as a unit of altitude, specifically; the cue is still a valid unit for length in general.

As to the cue:giraffe ratio, I don't think the What-If article is the best resource for gauging this. Randall seems to be portraying athletes with his giraffes rather than average males; for instance, Aroldis Chapman, specifically mentioned, is 6'4" (1.93m) tall. I suggest we standardize the ratio as 3 cue : 1 giraffe, making 1 cue = 5/3m (about 5'5-5/8").

Personally I take 1 giraffe to be about 0.25q

Spoiler:
Image- Kieryn

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 07, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

What's with the times on this forum? They are all listed UTC... Last time I checked, the 1st post was March 25th at 4.09 am UTC, which kind of made sense.
Now it's displaying as 11.09 pm on the 24th.??

Edit: At time of posting this post is currently displayed (to me) as Tue May 07, 2013 8:53 am UTC.

The actual time is Tue May 07, 2013 9:53 am UTC-05:00
Image- Kieryn

richP

Postby richP » Tue May 07, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:TENTS-ONG!

So Cuegan's friends are getting very...
Spoiler:
8-)
In tents!
Yeeeeaaaaaaaaaa

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 07, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Riverish wall-of-replies:
  • fhorn: re. buttermongery
  • tman2nd: re. Blitzing - list of firsts
  • Dracomax: re. spoilering issues (ninjad)
  • mscha: re. giraffes as canonical units
Spoiler:
fhorn wrote:
ucim wrote:
fhorn wrote:Yes, but what of the monopoly? What if I wish to sell butter? It can only be done... wait for it....... THROUGH HER
Well, here is an idea for how to do that. :)
:? It's not really clear to me how throwing a ripe tomato—as hard as I can—at a cake is going to get me that buttermongering license.
It's like integration by parts. You need to choose an appropriate u and v.

tman2nd wrote:1st update[...][list of firsts]
Glorious! The beginnings of another Gospel! And with research - for Science! I, as Pope of the Holy Contradiction, do most solemnly bless your most worthy voyage, and your chosen mission to discover the (at the time overlooked) genesis of what are now seen to be fundamentally important and momentous events and traits of the One True Thread. We await further reports of your triumphs, which shall merit a special place in the Library of the Holy Books.

Dracomax wrote:Ketchup post! currently trying to figure out what's wrong with spoilering in it!Please excuse the wall o' text, but spoilers have failed me...
Spoilers don't nest. I think you were trying to Russian Doll them.

mscha wrote:Yes, but it's an Outside unit, making it heretical.
It is an xkcd unit. If it is outside the OTT, but within xkcd, is it still heretical?

It occurs to me that it hasn't rained yet. We know it rains, perhaps even on the sea1. This would not be good for sandcastles, but I suppose it would be ok for tents.

1which is such a waste
Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue May 07, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Up!
The water will not catch up soon. Unless Cueball steps on a [Water Level Rise +5] mine.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Tue May 07, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:What's with the times on this forum? They are all listed UTC... Last time I checked, the 1st post was March 25th at 4.09 am UTC, which kind of made sense.
Now it's displaying as 11.09 pm on the 24th.??

Edit: At time of posting this post is currently displayed (to me) as Tue May 07, 2013 8:53 am UTC.

The actual time is Tue May 07, 2013 9:53 am UTC-05:00

Sorry, I cannot help you... Your post is displayed to me to be posted at
by Kieryn » newpix 1162.88

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Tue May 07, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

woods wrote:What, like some sort of HEATHEN!?!
MM/DD/YYYY is the only way to Time.

Not paying attention, are we?
http://xkcd.com/1179/
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”