1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

akacat

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby akacat » Tue May 07, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
akacat wrote:
Montov wrote:What an amazing reference to the What-if, by having Cueball dreaming about his rope-adventure there. _O_

And I love the new info on tents and plants apparently. There is no debris like they expected, and the water tastes awful, but upstream there is vegetation. Maybe the fresh water is being stopped by a dam, and poison is released there to kill most of the vegetation.

Weren't they drinking water from the river? If so, it's not likely to be poisoned.1

1 With anything strong enough to kill most of the vegetation.

I think you mean ALL the vegetation, since most of it seems to be missing...

Well, I could either mean most in the sense that at least one1 plant has not been killed, or I could just be saying most because I was quoting directly from Montov.

pelrigg wrote:looked through my collection of the OTC and came up with this sub-collection (numbers are frame numbers which come from explain wiki {my source for ketchup frames):
Spoiler:
drinking from river with intro's and outro's where needed:

_1025-discovery of the "other" river, with first drink (water may be the last of what they started with, re: "steam bottle")
_1027-
_1028-
_1076-leaving after resting when Cueball loses his dildogunnerang
_1078-
_1083-after walking awhile Cueball stops are fills the remaining dildogunnerang and Megan takes a sip for "this" river
_1085-
_1087-
_1093-
_1123-Cueball fills the single dildogunnerang a second time (that we know of)
_1124-
_1125-
_1139-and after the nap time they both drink
_1140-
_1141-

I'll go out on a limb and say the river water isn't poison, and we're just being shown a change in vegetation as they change height.
Also, I'm in the "tents are temporary shelter" camp (Has anyone read Auel's Earth Children series? {Clan of the Cave Bear, etc.})
I'ma gonna "wait for it" with regards to post-pre-apocalypse, pre-history, other planet/ plane plain of existence, though.
(now how badly have I been ninja'd)
Edit add strike through
And 2nd edit "I go" to "I'll go"

Thanks pelrigg! It looks like they have, in fact, drunk2 from the river.

1 As shown a couple of NP ago.
2 Not to imply that they are, or have been, drunk.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 07, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:Essentially it is looking up all the posts that you have on the forum and counting the ones that you post in the OTT.

For me the ratio of OTT/NOTT posts = sideways eight (508/0).

Or, if you can't stand the thought of dividing by zero, how 'bout I express it as my OTTcent = [ OTT / (OTT + NOTT) ] * 100% = 508/508 * 100% = 100.0%
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Tue May 07, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:
ttscp wrote:I don't think either post-apocalypse or camping, at least for Cuegan. On discovering the second river, they said, "it is not much farther from home than ours at its driest."

Home, to me, means something more substantial than a tent. There are tents in this world, but they may be occupied by someone other than Cuegan.

To me, "home" simply means the place where you live. "House" is a more permanent structure, made of wood, stone, etc., whereas "home" could mean house, apartment building, tent, etc., or it can mean your town, country, etc.

And when I first saw the dialogue about tents, my first thought was that they are members of a nomadic tribe. Though that might still make it hard to explain all the construction material.

I'll admit, when I'm on vacation, 'home' means the hotel room, sort of. I think the construction material, and the comment about distance to their river at it's driest, implies that their home is more permanent than simply a vacation/camping site. Or at least they camp periodically in the same site.

In the phone book on my cordless telephone I still have "Home" meaning my parents, even though it's been 20 years since I lived there permanently.

But one thing I've really noticed the last couple of months is that the saying "home is where the heart is" is very true. My girlfriend and I have been together for over 10 years, but we still live 250 km apart. When she came and stayed with me for a couple of weeks recently I discovered that my apartment was much more "home" than usual. As long as we are together most placed feel like home. [/mush]

For some OTC-OT stuff:
Did anyone get a slightly vertiginous1 feeling when they started talking about tents etc.? I experience the same thing often in movies or books where the narrow slice of reality to which you're presented in my mind becomes the whole world, nothing exists outside it - and it itself didn't even exist before the story started. So when things appear from the outside world and/or past that bubble is shattered and suddenly I'm standing next to a cliff trying not to fall.

The flipside of that is stories which actively act as if the above is true, that nothing in the world ever happened and everything we see is brand new. My favorite example is the movie Monsters Inc., when Mike and Sully arrives at work and performs their extended greeting ritual. No matter how funny, to me it feels contrived since it's hard to believe that they actually do that every day without having gotten sick of it years ago (or killed by their coworkers ;) ).

1I had to look that word up to get it right.

jdj42

Postby jdj42 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

Ong (because I am out of ideas)

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
woods wrote:Wow, I sure am glad I checked the OTT TWICE this weekend, otherwise I would have a lot of catching up to do. You guys are just riddled with tangents.

I like the idea of riddles with tangents.

Rule110, these were hilarious. (I snipped the actual riddles due to the nested-spoiler issue.)

Dracomax wrote:
fhorn wrote:
Valarya wrote:Blind-posting from 5+ pages back. Here are some belated Cinco de Mayo cupcakes JUST for you, fhorn.
Spoiler:

There have been other protestations of love and affection here on the OTT, but mine is the purest: the love for a Maker of Cupcakes. Valarya, you may be known on the Othernets as the cupcake girl, but to me you are the Friaress of the Frosting, the Cardinal of the Cupcakes, the Deaconess of Deliciousness, the Pope of the Pocket Pastries! (not b/c you should put them IN your pocket, just that they're so perfectly discrete)
WANTY WANT WANT!!!!! and will share. Have learned lesson.

I second this motion. All in favor?

When the question involves cupcakes, my answer is pretty much always Yes. I do agree with whoever suggested an OTT exercise program, what with all the snacks.

Dracomax wrote:..., the amount of self reference and recursion approaches critical mass.1 ...

1Which might be what the western paradox church doesn't call their services.

This is a great idea! So, that probably means we shouldn't do it.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 07, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Essentially it is looking up all the posts that you have on the forum and counting the ones that you post in the OTT.

Or, if you can't stand the thought of dividing by zero, how 'bout I express it as my OTTcent = [ OTT / (OTT + NOTT) ] * 100% = 508/508 * 100% = 100.0%

Gaah, math! But yup same here, I am 100% OTT
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Tue May 07, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

Well, since Babbage provides the JUST-IN-CASE statement, we're covered ;).

lmjb1964 wrote:When the question involves cupcakes, my answer is pretty much always Yes. I do agree with whoever suggested an OTT exercise program, what with all the snacks.

Don't we already have an OTT exercise program: We watch, we eat and most importantly we wait for it (and we support each other in this endeavor).

edit: combined double-post

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue May 07, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

azule wrote:Prediction: more walking. *WINNER*

Valarya wrote:
azule wrote:I have an affinity for VAL.

People have been calling me Val online for 9 years. This is a little weird, and a tad bit exciting. :shock:

FTFY/M. ;) Now do I get a cupcake? lol.

I liked the original link, but affinities for me always result in cupcakes. :P

For Azule:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue May 07, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

FullOfIt wrote:... "home is where the heart is" .... [/mush]

Well, yeah, that's a part of the whole house/home distinction mentioned earlier, "my house" feels impermanent, where "my home" feels like the place I belong, even if it's not a permanent location. The mush tag is appropriate.

FullOfIt wrote:Did anyone get a slightly vertiginous feeling when they started talking about tents etc.?

Not exactly vertiginous, more like surprise, that there is more to this story1 than has been evident so far.2

1 The OTC is beginning to feel more like a story, with character and plot development, than a single idea comic.
2 And each new revelation (La Petite, dildogunerang, distance, rubbish, tents) makes me re-interpret former dialogue and previous newpix.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

descor

Postby descor » Tue May 07, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:<snip>
1 The OTC is beginning to feel more like a story, with character and plot development, than a single idea comic.
2 And each new revelation (La Petite, dildogunerang, distance, rubbish, tents) makes me re-interpret former dialogue and previous newpix.

That's a really good point, it does feel like a story now. Although how much of the character development is real and how much we are creating our own characters remains to be seen.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

descor wrote:
ttscp wrote:<snip>

That's a really good point, it does feel like a story now. Although how much of the character development is real and how much we are creating our own characters remains to be seen.

A lot of the character development is based on the assumption (albeit a most likely true one) that these people are indeed Cueball and Megan.
It's rather entertaining how long it's taken for a story to start to develop, even when viewing the frames at high speed (such as through Aubronwood or Geekwagon).
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Prosthetic_Lips

Postby Prosthetic_Lips » Tue May 07, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

Less than a(n outside) day from frame 1190 of comic 1190 -- will it be significant? Can we contain our anticipation? Methinks not!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

Prosthetic_Lips wrote:Less than a(n outside) day from frame 1190 of comic 1190 -- will it be significant? Can we contain our anticipation? Methinks not!

The most recent frames have been significant enough, what with all the new exposition, and the first appearance of vegetation.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

kryton

Postby kryton » Tue May 07, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

Accidental Time Tourist Journal
Coordinates top of page 442 of 560

Not much progress, but I have reached the ultimate or penultimate fade out, the posts of the OTC in the thread are now completely in whiteout.
(nearly, if i look at it from a very oblique angle I can almost make out the castles, but not from straight on)

but Outside calles me away from my pilgrimage, so this is just more of a BlitzSignPost to myself.

See you all in the future!
1298 and counting

descor

Postby descor » Tue May 07, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Prosthetic_Lips wrote:Less than a(n outside) day from frame 1190 of comic 1190 -- will it be significant? Can we contain our anticipation? Methinks not!

The most recent frames have been significant enough, what with all the new exposition, and the first appearance of vegetation.

I reckon Lord Randall will troll the Numerists this time and make frame 1190 appear to be the last one just to provoke even more End of Time panic. [/prediction]

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

descor wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

I reckon Lord Randall will troll the Numerists this time and make frame 1190 appear to be the last one just to provoke even more End of Time panic. [/prediction]

That would be interesting. I wonder what the numerists will end up believing after frame #1190. Maybe find a new number?

descor

Postby descor » Tue May 07, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
descor wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

That would be interesting. I wonder what the numerists will end up believing after frame #1190. Maybe find a new number?

If this is anything to go by: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events, they'll brush off their failed prediction and make a new one!

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue May 07, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:A lot of the character development is based on the assumption (albeit a most likely true one) that these people are indeed Cueball and Megan.

As far as I remember1, we are the ones who named them Cueball and Megan based on resemblance to characters in the Other Comic. Of course now that we've named them, they are, to all extents and purposes, Cueball and Megan, and the assumption/statement3 that they are is a tautology and therefore trivial.2

1 Which has been faulty before.
2 My college yearbook has a picture of a math prof in front of a wall of blackboards, covered with the tiny script of some derivation, with the caption, "I told you it was a tautology."
3 There's a heresy nested in here somewhere, I just know it.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Tue May 07, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

YETANOTHERLAMEONG

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Tue May 07, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

descor wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

The best part is that, with this audience, there are several places he can troll us. After all, was the first frame number 0 or 1? Do we count the early frames as 1 each, or 1/2 each? Do we even know for sure how many frames we've seen? We can do the math1, but that only gives us a theoretical maximum - there have been a few hiccups in the OTC2 after all.

1excersize left to the reader
2no fault in the GRL implied or infered
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

Blitz Progress: 472 of 560
The Great Hike (pt. 2), NP1002

A response to my first signpost!
Spoiler:
Pikrass wrote:
macraw83 wrote:I may be really dumb, but I don't understand how to get this to work. If I click on the .js link, it tries to open up TamperMonkey, but then nothing happens. If I try to save it, nothing happens. If I try to view the source code at the github link, github can't find it. Can anyone help? It would be awesome to have this tool at my fingertips while browsing the forum.

Hi! :)
The code has been moved to a proper repository, along with three other OTT-related scripts (one to remove spoilers for blitzers, another one to make quoting multiple messages more efficient2,3,5, and a last one to add an extra Hide button at the bottom of spoiler tags).

When clicking on the link, you should see a box saying "Do you want to install this userscript: in Tampermonkey (Ok) or natively in Chrome (Cancel)". Choose OK, then OK again and voilà. Refresh your OTT page and the script should do its job.

It's weird, I just tested the installation, by first removing the scripts then following the URLs again, and at first Tampermonkey hung on "please wait". I restarted Chrome and tried again and it worked fine.
Alternatively, you can try to click on the Tampermonkey button, then "Add script", then paste the code in there.

If the script shows up in the "Installed scripts" list1 but does nothing, maybe you're using another theme (newpix-convertor works with prosilver, the other aren't supported (yet)), or a custom date format. If you're not, please let me know. If you could send me the HTML code of one of the OTT pages I could be able to figure it out.

P.S : I send this both as a private message and on the OTT, so everyone can see it. Say "hello" to the Past for me! And insult it!

1 which you can see by going on the "add a script" page, then click on the "installed scripts" tab
2 It works by saving the quoted messages in the background, then dumping them in the text field when you're on the post page. So you have to hit the quote button for everything you want, then write all your replies. I plan on improving it a bit so you can reply just after clicking on "quote", and have your reply saved along with the quoted message4
3 I know, the footnote order is weird, but it's the order I wrote them
4 Wow, *that* was a pretty long footnote!
5 Too bad the BBCode parser gets confused with nested "sup"...

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou! This made my life soooo much easier, especially with the quote-script. I am constantly amazed by the ingenuity of the Readers of the One True Thread.

Shortly after beginning my quest for the day, I saw this and nearly wept:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Ready to see what I spent my morning doing? Here you go! It's a Present Present from me to you!

Click Here for Larger Version

Disclaimer: I really, really wanted to fit as many posters as possible in here but my wrist is already limp as a noodle! I tried to mostly stay with still-active people since they're the ones most likely to see it. But there were still way, way too many for even a dozen of these! I still love you all equally, I promise!!
List of those I included:
LaPetite
Angelastic
Latent22
Kieryn
(manip by cmyk)
KarMann
StratPlayer
azule
tman2nd
(whoever started the footnote thing)
mscha
patzer
Eternal Density
Helper (missing)
ChronosDragon
macraw83
cmyk
RobIrr
buffygirl
Dracomax
manvandmaan
Me (yeah, yeah, I know)
The Faded Sandcastle
Cuegan
Hope you enjoy! It was a lot of fun to make. :D One of the reasons I'm happy to be in the Now is that I can do things like this, where in the Past I was too busy Questing, reading pastposts, and writing signposts!

Edit: Oh yeah, the original: http://xkcd.com/442/

This has got to be one of the awesomest contributions to the OTT that I've seen yet. I am honored to have been included as a part, even given a proper speech bubble (every other letter coded in ROT-13)!

I am deeply saddened, though, since your intent was to use people still active in the thread. This was very soon after I had been left behind in Time due to a multitude of Outside duties, either taking Time away from me or withholding my internet access with which to read the OTT. But, now I suppose I have seen it, and appreciate it possibly moreso than I would have had I still been in your Present when you made it.

I think I will follow the lead of many others and replace my hatvatar with the BlitzGirl version. I do hope buffygirl understands, and does not take offense, since Blitzgirl has kept it mostly intact in her rendition.

Anywho, quick list of discussions I passed: The awesomeness of Blitzgirl's creation. The potential impending end of the OTC. The excruciating torment to which the loopists are being subjected, since it is very similar to (but not quite exactly like) the first handful of Newpix in Time. The prevailing theory that Randall must either read the OTT, or at least has an informant (mole) from amongst our ranks.

I had formed my own theory of how it would end, and then I was ninja'd by 90 pages:
rcrowell wrote:My prediction: a chaotic strange attractor kind of process.

Time will continue to unfold, and nearly loop, but not quite. "Things" will change from iteration to iteration - dialog, fleeting appearances of third characters, bag placement, etc. Not quite loopist, but not really open-ended either...and somehow singularly unsatisfying to me.

If it does loop, it would only make sense that, while the over-arching story would remain the same, there would be details that change each time, especially dialogue. It could either be showing us many different versions of what could happen (infinite universes theory?), or maybe just that Megball loves to build castles so much that they continually build this one up, tides be damned. Except, you'd imagine that they'd get better with their d(i/y)kes over Time...

Other random responses to pastposts:
Spoiler:
woods wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:This may be heresy. But hear me out. Why are we doing what we are told? Why are we waiting for it? Whether it is something unknown or time itself. Should we not fill our days with bigger things and let it come to us with hat in hand? Let it explain itself? We are slowly watching a journey of two travelers unravel. Two travelers who at first spent time waiting, and then time creating, and now time exploring. Ultimately in one way or another Time is not moving forward for us. We are all still stuck 30+ days ago. Watching the same moment in time. New comics have appeared, real time has marched on, but we keep waiting for this one spot of time to be relevant. At the expense of what?

When Time ends.. we will find Time is marching on. We put ourselves in stasis waiting for the End of Time, or It. I say no more! These Lovecraftian devices of time of within a span of a moment must be broken away from before our sanity is ground away. I fear for our vision of the real world once our vision of Time has ended.

You have a point. My job is at risk because of this comic. And I mean that in every real way possible. I simply cannot control my need to see what happens next. It will be the end of me.

So your job is at risk, and you are (were?) caught up on the thread... I find myself languishing unthinkably far behind, spending much Time trying to catch up whenever I get a spare moment. Hopefully it gets a bit quicker... today has been a little chaotic on the Outside.

StratPlayer wrote:Ok, this is really simple to understand:

It's the same, but different, meaning that it has looped, even though it hasn't, and that Time will continue, or it won't, in exactly the same way as it had before, except that it will now be different, but in a different manner than if it had looped and ended up exactly the same, which it isn't, so it's going to stay the same as it was, but in a different way.

See?

I completely understand what this is saying, except for the parts that I don't, which is most of them, because it makes perfect sense, but at the same time exactly the opposite.

I compiled a list of posts with names for this potential second loop/iteration/thing for posterity's sake (spoilered because of its insane length - and this was only 3 pages worth! You don't even want to know how much longer it went on... if you're truly interested, go reread the OTT starting at about halfway down Newpage 467):
Spoiler:
Montov wrote:This era should be called: "The OTC part 2, now with bags."

BlitzGirl wrote:
Montov wrote:This era should be called: "The OTC part 2, now with bags."

One True Comic II: The Baginning

Goggalor wrote:One True Comic 2: Electric Bagaloo

BlitzGirl wrote:As long as we're doing titles...

2 Bags 2 Curious

(The sequel, of course, to the hit Sandcastle flick starring Vin Diesel as Cueball.)

Valarya wrote:The Re-Adventures of Bagsitting

Valarya wrote:Conan the Bagbarian 2

Goggalor wrote:Ooooo I came up with a good title, but I have to wait a couple hours to post it! Stupid Time :P

EDIT: I just came up with one I can post now:

Bag to the Future

Valarya wrote:Bag Runner 2: The Last Replicant

pelrigg wrote:Adventures In Bagsitting

123Adz321 wrote:Bag Wars - Episode V - The Sandcastle Strikes Back

fhorn wrote:Bag to the Future

xspeedballx wrote:Bagging Saddles: We Don't Need No Stinking Bags

Valarya wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Adventures In Bagsitting

Go back a page, you got ninja'd. :P

A Tale of Two Bags

BlitzGirl wrote:If LaPetite is in one of those bags:

Cueball: The Guy Who Bagged Me

(Feel free to snicker, I am :P )

descor wrote:Harry Potter and the Chamber of Bags

123Adz321 wrote:Bagman: The Dark Watery Stuff Rises

xspeedballx wrote:The Passion of the Bags

TheMinim wrote:The Baggit. :roll: *shrug*

123Adz321 wrote:And one more for luck: The Good The Bag And The Ugly

BlitzGirl wrote:Bags? Where they're going they don't need bags.
How about simply:

Time 2: The Seaquel

fhorn wrote:Bag Actually

pelrigg wrote:Okay I gotta get ONE of these:

B For Bagdetta

Theater Of Bags
Bag Of Blood (think Vincent Price)

The Day The Bag Stood Still (the original, not the modern "re-make")

this one's for buffygirl
The Cabin In The Bag

NoMouse wrote:Oh, I have one:

The Big Bag Theory

xspeedballx wrote:American Baggy

BlitzGirl wrote:Since Bag to the Future was taken long ago:

Cue and Meg's Excellent Bagventure

NoMouse wrote:The Bagfather: Part II

SWO Crash wrote:The Hunt for Bag October
Bag Storm Rising
Clear and Present Bags

(Sorry, went on a Tom Clancy run there)

Angelastic wrote:BlitzGirl:

I love the comic, and I love that it has me.
I love the bigness of the semencoffeesea.
I never knew just what the tune was meant to be.
I love the things, you make me squee

The Temporal Strikes Bag

Is there a new plain text file of the thread I could mine for haiku? Or a way to get it from the API?

xspeedballx wrote:
Bag Storm Rising
Clear and Present Bags

The Bagmaker
The Pelican Bag
The Gingerbag Man
Runaway Bag

I see your Clancy and Raise you Grisham.

fhorn wrote:Transbaggers?
Bagsformers?

pelrigg wrote:The Hunger Bags

TheMinim wrote:Rucksack at Tiffany's?

NoMouse wrote:Bagglestar Galactica

BlitzGirl wrote:
jetpac wrote:I suppose it's also possible that your long and arduous travel through Time has addled your brain, though

AHAHAHHAAHAHAhahah!

What were you saying? I, um, wasn't paying attention.

Cool Bag Loop

(This Time starring Paul Newman as Cueball.)

Angelastic wrote:Groundbag Day

xspeedballx wrote:
jetpac wrote:Is it weird that I would watch most, if not all, of these movies? Most of them don't even make sense, but for some reason, I'm violently hurling my wallet at my computer monitor. No results yet, but I'll make sure to keep you all apprised as events warrant.

What about:

Bag2: Hyperbag

SWO Crash wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:
Bag Storm Rising
Clear and Present Bags

The Bagmaker
The Pelican Bag
The Gingerbag Man
Runaway Bag

Bagger's Game
Bagger's Shadow
Speaker for the Bag
Bagocide
Shadow of the Bagemon

Seen, and raised Card. 8-)

mscha wrote:The Lord of the Bags
1: The Fellowship of the Bag
2: The Two Sandcastles
3: The Return of La Petite

Edit: I'll stop twerking now...

Valarya wrote:Requiem for a Bag

123Adz321 wrote:OOOOOH:

The Bag Before Time

NoMouse wrote:The Lost World: Jurassic Bag

mscha wrote:Lord of the Bags
1: The Fellowship of the Bags
2: The Two Sandcastles
3: The Return of La Petite

Bagginses? What is a Bagginses, precious?

Valarya wrote:
mscha wrote:Lord of the Bags
1: The Fellowship of the Bags
2: The two sandcastles
3: The return of La Petite

Been waiting for that one!!

Bit of a Paul Thomas Anderson kick here:

Baggie Nights
Bagnolia
Punch-Drunk Bags
There Will Be Bags

xspeedballx wrote:
SWO Crash wrote:
xspeedballx wrote:
Bag Storm Rising
Clear and Present Bags

The Bagmaker
The Pelican Bag
The Gingerbag Man
Runaway Bag

Bagger's Game
Bagger's Shadow
Speaker for the Bag
Bagocide
Shadow of the Bagemon

Seen, and raised Card. 8-)

The Bagloliers.
Children of the Bag
Bagcatcher
Bagstarter
The Green Bag
The Running Bag
Bag By Me

Seen, and raised King.

pelrigg wrote:Two more Bag Whedon's
Firebag
Buffy The Bag Slayer

jovialbard wrote:Some classics maybe?

Citizen Bag?
Seven Bagurai?

xspeedballx wrote:Bag Ocean 3: Until the End of Time

BlitzGirl wrote:How did I miss the novel titles in there? Excellent!

No Castle for Old Bags

(Good luck, Goggalor!)

fhorn wrote:

Citizen Bag?
Seven Bagurai?

Casabaga?

xspeedballx wrote:
fhorn wrote:

Citizen Bag?
Seven Bagurai?

Casabaga?

Lawrence of Bagrabia

And then one biography of Buffygirl:
Angelastic wrote:Not a bag pun, or a movie about the OTC, but a biography of buffygirl:

Ten Things I Hat About You

And, a message from our First Pastpilgrim (add to the titlelist if it's not there already?):
BlitzGirl wrote:Hmm. I'm not sure if the flood of seaquel titles is good or bad for our pastpilgrims.
Good, because they will be quick to read.
Bad, because we just added three more newpages in less than an hour.

I'd say it was mostly beneficial, since it was easier to read. Except documenting them took away from Time. But that was my own choice.

And then, after compiling this list of quotes, I came upon this:
Goggalor wrote:The wiki link to the collection of (most) the bag1 "puns".
I got to Men in Bag, but that's all I could handle. I welcome anyone else to add to the page. Also I'm giving myself the title of Keeper of the Bags. Any objections?

1and sea and semen related puns.

EDIT: further information and footnote.
SECOND-EDIT: I'm now completely caught up on puns.

*facepalm* (directed at myself, in case that wasn't obvious...)

Anyways, very sorry for the Walltext... I tried to spoiler whatever made sense to spoiler, but still came out very long. Hopefully not all of them will be like this...
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

descor

Postby descor » Tue May 07, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:YETANOTHERLAMEONG
Spoiler:

If they keep drinking eventually one of them will have to go to the loo/bathroom*.

*delete depending on location

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Tue May 07, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:It's come up a few times recently, so I went ahead and took the time to make a Dialogue Summary page on the wiki.

Thank you for serving those of us with more of a literary than a science or computer science bent. I've been keen to look more closely at the dialogue to see what it tells us about what's going on.

(Probably not much, but I can dream).
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Tue May 07, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:Does this chart include references to one's username or only when one actually posts? I believe it is collecting any instances of a username appearing, but want to confirm. (As in quotes)

Looking at the totals for myself it is only pulling your posts, not your quote's... Essentially it is looking up all the posts that you have on the forum and counting the ones that you post in the OTT.

Yeah? It was looking up my posts that led me to wonder. I don't think I've ever posted fifteen times in a day. I just don't have that much to say, but there were a few times my name was included in quotes, why I theorized may have inflated the numbers.
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

Nice summary from Stratplayer:

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
Ok, let's see if I can put this all into a synopsis, just to try and clarify some questions:

-- Megan and Cueball start out on some beach, then decide to build a sand castle
-- The sand castle gets increasingly complex, involving scaffolding and elevated layers of sand-like material
-- During all of this, the sea-like liquid continues to rise, and it eventually starts to erode the lower level of the castle
-- M & C have a series of short, cryptic discussions about water, the sea, rain, and rivers.
-- They decide to leave their castle to go exploring for rivers or rain or whatever that's "out there" which is feeding water into the sea and making it rise.
-- A little girl makes a few brief appearances at the castle, but goes un-noticed by both Megan and Cueball.
-- After traveling a while -- enough that that express concern that they might need to use the "steam bottle" -- they find a river.
-- They conclude the river they've found is not big enough to supply all the water needed to raise the sea. But it doesn't look broken, either.
-- They then decide to hike upriver to find a ford, but as they're hiking they see that this river widens, and that "maybe it is big enough to fill the sea."
-- They pause to rest (and perhaps Cueball even dozes), then discuss that this river isn't "much farther from home than 'ours' at its driest," and that "when 'our' river gets too big it fills with stuff". But this river doesn't "look like that."

So. What can we learn from this?

Uh.......

Damn. I got nothin'.

Sorry, but the synopsis doesn't help. It just leads to more questions, and it's starting to feel like trying to find clear meaning in a Bergman film...

<snip>

EDIT: Oh, and 500th post! W00t!

Love the Bergman reference. Congrats on 500!

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Anybody want some cheese to go with that? What a depressing few newpages. It appears the latest topic of complaint has shifted from "thread too full of religion" to "thread too full of newpixbot" to "thread too full of blitzers." I would discuss it more, but as someone who has read the OTT throughout its various mood swings, I realize that this too shall pass, and pretty soon everyone will find something else to get in a tizzy over. All I have to do is Wait for it. Note to blitzers: it would be more helpful to others if you begin your signposts with a notation, as I did, so those who are not reading all of the thread of Time may skip them if they so choose (and please, spoiler your text walls).

I will point out that Latent22 predicted the moment when the OTT would become nothing but signposts:
[spoiler]Image

It seems that there should be an -ism for people concerned that the OTT is coming to an end, or at least one for those who want to shake their canes angrily at all of those hooligans contributing to the downturn of thread society.?[/spoiler]

BlitzGirl, have I mentioned lately that I love you? (Again, in a sisterly way, not anything else.)(Not that there's anything wrong with it.)

Magdiragdag wrote:
SBN wrote:Megan said, "Not this way." That could mean not in this direction, or not on foot.

Thanks, I hadn't realised that 'this way' could also have meant a means of transport.

Interesting. I hadn't thought about that. Although their world, or at least their part of the world, seems so barren and primitive that I can't imagine them having some other form of transport. A horse, maybe. Or a tauntaun. (Again demonstrating my lack of geek cred, I had to look up what those things were called.)

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue May 07, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

For Selcouth1 and Bytes.

1 It's a super-nova-Panini-hat on an android, of course! :roll:
Attachments
Selcouth-hat-s.png
Selcouth-hat-s.png (29.25 KiB) Viewed 12399 times
Bytes-hat.png
Bytes-hat.png (17.39 KiB) Viewed 12399 times
Bytes.jpg
Bytes.jpg (26.52 KiB) Viewed 12399 times

descor

Postby descor » Tue May 07, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote:<snip> It was looking up my posts that led me to wonder. I don't think I've ever posted fifteen times in a day. I just don't have that much to say, but there were a few times my name was included in quotes, why I theorized may have inflated the numbers.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you have to have something to say in order to post in this thread. :mrgreen:

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue May 07, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
ucim wrote:
mscha wrote:Yes, but it's an Outside unit, making it heretical.
It is an xkcd unit. If it is outside the OTT, but within xkcd, is it still heretical?

Yes. The Other Comic is not the One True Comic.

In that case, shouldn't the names "Megan" and "Cueball" be heretical, as well? That way lies Madness!
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue May 07, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

[quote="cari.j.elliot"]Yeah? It was looking up my posts that led me to wonder. I don't think I've ever posted fifteen times in a day. I just don't have that much to say, but there were a few times my name was included in quotes, why I theorized may have inflated the numbers./quote]
On April 30th you did.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Tue May 07, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:A horse, maybe. Or a tauntaun. (Again demonstrating my lack of geek cred, I had to look up what those things were called.)

You had to look up what a horse is called?
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue May 07, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

FullOfIt wrote:... "home is where the hat is" .... [/mush]

FTFY

descor

Postby descor » Tue May 07, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:

FTFY

Do mine eyes deceive me buffygirl? You're accepting hat orders? May I tentatively request one myself? Not sure my current avatar can take a hat though ...

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 07, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
EVENSONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot

I feel like your bot already did that one (ONG), or does it do the same one every time?

The newpixbot seems to choose from a random and rather small set of ONGs.

Did a quick check, it was at least the third EVENSONGGGGGGGG. :?
The newpixbot picks a random word ending in ‘ong’ from /usr/share/dict/american-english-huge on my server – there are 135 of them – so it seems fishy to me, this is definitely not the first repeat I've seen. I'm not a statistician, so I can't judge how likely or unlikely it is.
Maybe it's just our Lord Randall sending us a message. Can't think what it would be, though.

I made some changes so that it'll try something new, next time it gets a chance to post.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue May 07, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

I predict a tree sometime in the near future.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue May 07, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

descor wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

FTFY

Do mine eyes deceive me buffygirl? You're accepting hat orders? May I tentatively request one myself? Not sure my current avatar can take a hat though ...

Never underestimate buffygirl's magnificent feats of superlative supernatural millinery skills! She's hatted avatars other lesser haberdashers would deem unhattable! VeloCityGirl2 and Caswallon for example!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue May 07, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWERS GONGGG......Image

ETA: (Somebody else can get the next line...)
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Tue May 07, 2013 9:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Tue May 07, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
dreiarmumig wrote:Either I missed the creation of a new acronym or it's a commonly known one that I simply haven't come across before, but what does VMPC mean? Neither searching the OTT nor Google had an answer..

I have a feeling I'm going to face-palm hard later on.

Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer. It replaced 'Pope' during the Mod Madness. A while ago (pre-fade) the first poster on each page (when the page was created, so newbie posts being approved didn't retroactively change it) was declared Pope for that newpage (there was a bit more to it, but that's the gist of it). Eventually, mscha disbanded the papacy, but I started a breakaway sect that gives you the choice to declare yourself Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer for that page (if you want to, and only you can declare it for yourself. We {or maybe just I. I think I'm the only member :( } don't force the Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customership upon others).
I like the term, it's fun to say. Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer.
Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer. Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer. Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer.
Spoiler:
vaticanmillinersperfectcustomervaticanmillinersperfectcustomervaticanmillinersperfectcustomer
vaticanmillinersperfectcustomervaticanmillinersperfectcustomervaticanmillinersperfectcustomer
allworkandnoplaymakesHALadullboyallworkandnoplaymakesHALadullboyallworkandnoplaymakesHALadullboy

So close! I guessed 20. (Prediction made before opening the spoiler for number of times you would say Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer inside it.)
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:A horse, maybe. Or a tauntaun. (Again demonstrating my lack of geek cred, I had to look up what those things were called.)

You had to look up what a horse is called?

Ha, ha. Very funny.

But yes. I never made it to H in my animal alphabet book. :( Or in my Shaker Abecedarius. (Go ahead, look it up. I'll wait.)

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Tue May 07, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:I predict a tree sometime in the near future.

I read that as 'I predict a threesome in the near future.'

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue May 07, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

descor wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

FTFY

Request accepted. Your avatar might be a bit tricky, but I want to give it a try.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”