1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

StratPlayer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 1:47 am UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:Working through 10 Newpages again. Ketchup replies:

StratPlayer wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:"So Mr/Ms jjjdavidson

"Tell me when you first started believing you were a computer."

Oh it was about 3 years ago, when I realized that I was far to intelligent to be a mere human...
Wait, you weren't talking to me? Well now this is awkward

The irony is striking...

ChronosDragon wrote:
descor wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:<snip>
Oh it was about 3 years ago, when I realized that I was far to intelligent to be a mere human...
Wait, you weren't talking to me? Well now this is awkward.

I would have thought someone with superhuman intelligence would be able to use two/too/to? :twisted:

Valid grammatical constructs aren't worth my exceedingly valuable time, you see. I'm much two busy having twice your IQ too spare time for that. :lol:

The ninjas. And the burrrrrn. brb getting cold water.

Hmmmmm.... There's some quoting weirdness going on here -- I didn't say that in the first quote, as you can see in the second quoted snippet. I do fine putting dumb words in my own mouth, thank you very much... :wink:
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:49 am UTC

I know this is a point that's been made, but I now have a rather nice way of describing it:
I can't help but mentally compare those who saw one panel of Time, thought nothing of it, and went on without checking the forum to this guy.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

vvn

Postby vvn » Wed May 08, 2013 1:51 am UTC

mscha wrote:I counted the ONGs, and of the 57 times that newpixbot posted, the following were used more than once:
Spoiler:
BOGONG: 3
EVENSONG: 3
DAYLONG: 2
FLONG: 2
KALONG: 2
LEGONG: 2
SCUPPERNONG: 2
SINGSONG: 2
SPRONG: 2

That's 11 times out of 57 that it picked one it had used before. Seems too high to me.

Top of my head, not-gonna-use-a-factorial kinda math. 135 choices. 57 picks -11 duplicates = 46. So, 46/135 chance of being a duplicate = 34%. Of course, this is now, so the number is high. 11 of 57 duplicated = 19% dups. It's non-linear, so my math is crap, but in range of saying the code is probably behaving correctly.

htom wrote:Back in the days of typewriters, shift-space on some Olympia electrics and IBM (non-ball) electrics would give you a half-space forward, and shift-backspace would give you a half-backspace. Great for working with Type-it things that let you use strange symbols (you'd put the Type-it bar in the ribbon carrier and hit it with the y or Y key, leaving the impression of the Type-it character.) The last time I thought of those was almost a decade ago.

IBM Executive typewriter. Proportional spacing. Hell on wheels for a young kid playing around, and trying to fix a typo. I was on a computer before I figured out why it was so easy for everyone else.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 08, 2013 1:52 am UTC

Just over 15 newpix until 1190! (15.14 to be exact)

Say, do we have a graph or table showing the join dates of posters in this needle-pulled-thing?
Last edited by Eternal Density on Wed May 08, 2013 1:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:53 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Just over 15 newpix until 1190! (15.14 to be exact)

AGH I don't think I'll be able to see it when it first appears! Oh nooo!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 08, 2013 1:55 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

Say, do we have a graph or table showing the join dates of posters in this needle-pulled-thing?

Me neither. It'll be 3 newpix past the time known Outside as 'midnight'.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Wed May 08, 2013 1:59 am UTC

mscha wrote:
ttscp wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:The newpixbot picks a random word ending in ‘ong’ from /usr/share/dict/american-english-huge on my server – there are 135 of them – so it seems fishy to me, this is definitely not the first repeat I've seen. I'm not a statistician, so I can't judge how likely or unlikely it is.
Maybe it's just our Lord Randall sending us a message. Can't think what it would be, though.
I made some changes so that it'll try something new, next time it gets a chance to post.

It's actually fairly probable that there will be repeats. This is related to the birthday problem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem.
We think of it like the probability of a repeat of a given phrase (which is pretty low), but since it's a repeat of any phrase, it gets higher each time a new phrase is chosen and after a while has to happen. After 135 unique ong postings by the newpixbot, it would have to repeat.

I know about the birthday paradox. (TL;DR: in a class of 30 students, the chance that 2 of them have the same birthday is > 50%.) But it feels like newpixbot is repeating itself more often than the birthday paradox explains.
I counted the ONGs, and of the 57 times that newpixbot posted, the following were used more than once:
Spoiler:
BOGONG: 3
EVENSONG: 3
DAYLONG: 2
FLONG: 2
KALONG: 2
LEGONG: 2
SCUPPERNONG: 2
SINGSONG: 2
SPRONG: 2

That's 11 times out of 57 that it picked one it had used before. Seems too high to me.

I ran a simulation on Excel, making random selections from 135 numbers 57 times, and for the 10 simulations I ran, I got 8, 13, 15, 11, 9, 9, 6, 12, 11, and 10 numbers that occurred as repeats (some more than once). So 11 is not too high; indeed, it's about typical.

For the birthday problem, you only need to have 23 people to have a greater than 50% chance of "twins" (same day, not same year). The more people you have the greater the likelihood. In the ONG situation you have fewer "birthdays" (135 ONGs) and more "people" (your 57 selections), which increases (a) the likelihood of a repeat, and (b) the likelihood of more repeats. The longer you go, the more previous ONGs there will be for a newly selected one to match with, and so the likelihood of a repeat increases.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed May 08, 2013 2:01 am UTC

wella bong

up up and away

higher can get higher
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Wed May 08, 2013 2:13 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:Blitz Progress: 472 of 560
The Great Hike (pt. 2), NP1002

DrSamCarter edited:<Massive big snip of stuff that is actually critical for what I am about to say, but there's enough here that you can go back and find it on NP560>

Finally, during my morning ketchup and without having to ask and as a result of something tucked away in macraw83's blitzpost, I figured out the explanation of bboz dr yndn.

I now know another of the OTT shibboleths. :mrgreen:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:14 am UTC

And it's time for me to coma.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed May 08, 2013 2:19 am UTC

Vytron wrote:I pass a confusing SignPost by DrSamCarter, which may be his first post on the thread, or the third. Here he edits-sends message from 5 pages from the future, spoiling that BlitzGirl will be back, but eh, I know BlitzGirl will had ketchup, so she had to be back eventually.

BTW, based on the user name, I'd guess that this particular Sam might be a female Sam(antha), rather than a male Sam(uel).
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 2:21 am UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:
macraw83 wrote:Blitz Progress: 472 of 560
The Great Hike (pt. 2), NP1002

DrSamCarter edited:<Massive big snip of stuff that is actually critical for what I am about to say, but there's enough here that you can go back and find it on NP560>

Finally, during my morning ketchup and without having to ask and as a result of something tucked away in macraw83's blitzpost, I figured out the explanation of bboz dr yndn.

I now know another of the OTT shibboleths. :mrgreen:

At times, the OTT is nothing but a big, stinky, steaming pile of shibboleths, isn't it?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 08, 2013 2:49 am UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

Holy...

How did I not hear this before? I am geeking out now like I did for BlitzGirl's Boom De Yada. Nicely done! (And how on earth did you get the weird boom de yada rot13 without even breaking stride?)

All I really did was practice it a couple of times until I wasn't stumbling over the words... :P

I didn't even warm up my voice before recording since it was supposed to be just a demo, that's why I said "not so great singing" but everyone seems to think it's fine, so... :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed May 08, 2013 2:51 am UTC

Time for some Heines Tomato Ketchup - when your wait just needs a little bit of seasoning!

Spoiler:
Some stuff happened! Vegetation, Phineas and Ferb, and some more excellent music from yappobiscuits! Also blatantly stealing a ketchup misdirection from someone else!

So, the what-ifs are Cueball's dreams, huh? That sort of makes sense - they do seem to follow dream logic (if scientifically rigorous dream logic - but hey, that's Cueball). I wonder if othercomic is Megan's dreams :lol:

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 08, 2013 2:53 am UTC

Smithers wrote:<snip>
Alteration: Holy See Haberdasher's Infallible Patron. Sweet.

Hunh?

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed May 08, 2013 2:54 am UTC

mscha wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:What's the official current newpix number, so I can perfect my code? Is there an authority on newpix? I want to fix my logic once and be done.

I'd go with the numbers from my list. Current newpix is 1173. (1174 about to be posted.)

mscha's page has become the gold standard for filenames and frame numbers. It's great work, and I and others really appreciate it (and the newpixbot as well, of course).

So naturally, mscha, I have to suggest changes. Sorry! First, would it be much trouble to provide a link to a raw text file of your list, CSV or tabbed or whatever's convenient? Second, I'm guessing you considered whether to use UTC or Randall Standard Time in your list. If it was a close decision, I'd like to recommend RST, just because I find it jarring to have the Outside date change in the middle of an icositetranewpix.
Thanks for all the work you've done! Sorry I'm behaving like a typical user.

No problem. :)
A link to the raw data has been added to the page. For the timestamps, I didn't really consider anything else than UTC. When the OTC started, summer time was about to start in Europe, so I didn't want to use local time (Europe/Amsterdam). And the start of summer time is just annoying (a jump of 1 hour in filenames), but if the OTC is still going at the end of summer time, it'd overwrite the previous newpix.
For RST (or RDT), the start of DST was not an issue (already happened), but the end of DST will be, so I'm going to stick with UTC.

DST is a very good point, and one I should have thought of, since I've been making jokes about how you might find something else to do in two or three years. UTC is fine.

The raw data list looks good, too, but is it possible to add the frame numbers as well? If so, do whatever you like with the apocrypha; I'll work with it. Thanks a ton!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 08, 2013 2:56 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:

Hunh?

A.K.A. The Smallest Country in the World's Hatter's Incontrovertible Consumer.

yappobiscuits wrote:All I really did was practice it a couple of times until I wasn't stumbling over the words... :P

I didn't even warm up my voice before recording since it was supposed to be just a demo, that's why I said "not so great singing" but everyone seems to think it's fine, so... :P

It's definitely more than fine! It's excellent!

(And I must say, I love it in your accent. :D )
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed May 08, 2013 3:00 am UTC

yappobiscuits singin' Boom De Onga
and top o' the hill to you too.
Like the singing good yappo
Last edited by pelrigg on Wed May 08, 2013 3:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 3:00 am UTC

"PLEASE DON'T BE LONG"

Spoiler:

"Please don't be long
please don't you be very long
Please don't be long
or I may be asleep"

Spoiler:

EDIT: Damn -- Ninja'd!

Well, George has the right idea. Off to coma...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Wed May 08, 2013 3:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Wed May 08, 2013 3:01 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
Vytron wrote:I pass a confusing SignPost by DrSamCarter, which may be his first post on the thread, or the third. Here he edits-sends message from 5 pages from the future, spoiling that BlitzGirl will be back, but eh, I know BlitzGirl will had ketchup, so she had to be back eventually.

BTW, based on the user name, I'd guess that this particular Sam might be a female Sam(antha), rather than a male Sam(uel).

Indeed.

(to quote someone else)

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 08, 2013 3:04 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

Hunh?

Still don't get it...

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 08, 2013 3:06 am UTC

My newpixfix will have to wait until tomorrow. For now, just a data update.... and comatime :-(

I wish I had more than 1.5 out of 24 newpix available to the OTX1, but alas them outside commitments bring me down.

1 OTX = OTT + OTC, X=C+T, X=?
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed May 08, 2013 3:08 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Chance television encounter today; the Disney cartoon "Phineas and Ferb" can be oddly prescient sometimes.

I love Phineas and Ferb (the only thing on the Disney channel I can even stand), so I jumped over to watch the clip. It started playing, then just stopped at 1:38 - and I watched, and I waited, and I watched, and I waited... It did start up again, but I just couldn't help feeling I was getting my chain yanked by Youtube. Or maybe the universe.

HAL9000 wrote:

(Speaking of universes...) Why not? Will you be eclipsed by Europa, or something?

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed May 08, 2013 3:23 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

Hunh?

Still don't get it...

A play on HAL9000's Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer page topper thingie........

(oh, goodie I just remembered I get to de-coma and see the dentist. Good night Waiters and I'll see y'all for 1191 (in real numbers))

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed May 08, 2013 3:27 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

Hunh?

Still don't get it...

Alternatively, the unerring and well hatted apostolic palatial resident.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:30 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

Hunh?

Still don't get it...

Nor do I. :?

yappobiscuits wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

Holy...

How did I not hear this before? I am geeking out now like I did for BlitzGirl's Boom De Yada. Nicely done! (And how on earth did you get the weird boom de yada rot13 without even breaking stride?)

All I really did was practice it a couple of times until I wasn't stumbling over the words... :P

OK, I finally listened to this. (I was going to wait until I got to it naturally in my chutneying, but there was so much brouhaha about it I couldn't wait any longer.) OMR, this is fantastic! Wonderful job, and the rot13 was perfect. I had to listen to the song a couple of times, it was so cool.

Speaking (as someone was earlier) about HUMBle*, here's one of mine: (Actually, it would just be a HUMB, since no one would ever know if I didn't say anything, but I like you all so much I don't mind sharing what a doofus I am.)

When the xkcd "I love the Discovery Channel" came out, I thought it was really cool, and loved the pictures, but I thought, what's with the boom de yada? Is that some reference I don't get? Then Blitzgirl came out with her version, and it was an amazing parody of the original, but I was like, "Huh, she has those boom de yadas too." Then I read that yappobiscuits recorded it, and I thought, "Cool, he set it to music." Then earlier today (before Iistened to the recording,) I read a "boom de yada," and all of a sudden my brain went, "Ooooohhhhhhh, I get it. It's that song I know really well because I sang it a million times in Girl Scout camp."

Sometimes I am really slow on the uptake. Sheesh.

*Head Up My Butt-look everyone--from perlrigg, I think...

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:33 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:My newpixfix will have to wait until tomorrow. For now, just a data update.... and comatime :-(

I wish I had more than 1.5 out of 24 newpix available to the OTX1, but alas them outside commitments bring me down.

1 OTX = OTT + OTC, X=C+T, X=?

Just checked your current Forum Navigator and its almost perfect

There are just two minor problems that need fixing:

Frame 0-240 need to be incrementd by one.
Frame 241 in your list never happend as frame 241 happened an hour after 240.

Spoiler:
240 3/30/2013 4:00:00 AM patzer 167 <- this one is really 241
241 3/30/2013 4:31:00 AM Qalyar 167 <- this is not a newpix time at all and needs to be removed
242 3/30/2013 5:00:00 AM Opiboble 168 <- From frame 242 on its all perfect

So I think you just need to change the date you have for the switch from 30min/np to 60min/np and add one to your frame numbers at the start and your sweet :)

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:35 am UTC

Blitz progress: 479 of 564
The Great Hike (pt. 2), NP1008

Brief list of topics discussed:
Pope Helper's triumphant return
Breaking of the fourth wall
Another fade, this one only involving part of the frame (but including Cuegan)?

As a part of the celebration of the return of the Pope, this seizure-inducing image was repeatedly posted:
Helper wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Please o great lost Pope allow this newone to great your magnificence back home.

First blitzgirl, then The Fading, then the Threat Of Looping, now this.

Does that mean we can have another party???????

One does not simply ask for a party!
Spoiler:

[Image spoilered for your safety]

NP1006: "...That's what the first part of not ending looks like."
Only valid response:
123Adz321 wrote:He's screwing with us...

FOURTH WALL HAS BEEN BROKEN, I REPEAT, FOURTH WALL HAS BEEN BROKEN. The comic has become self-aware!

I believe we are in for the long haul. Also, any chances that Lord Randall is blissfully unaware of the contents of this thread just went out the window.

Oh my Randall, this is beautiful:
yappobiscuits wrote:Words... and then, most importantly:
Spoiler:
Excerpt from The Lord of the Bags, The Fellowship of the Bag

That night they camped on a small eyot close to the shore. Cueball lay rolled in blankets beside Megan. "I had a funny dream an hour or two before we stopped, Miss Megan," he said. "Or maybe it wasn't a dream. Funny it was anyway."
"Well, what was it?" said Megan, knowing that Cueball would not settle down until he had told his tale, whatever it was. "I haven't seen or thought of anything to make me smile since we left the sandcastles."
"It wasn't funny that way, Miss Megan. It was queer. All wrong, if it wasn't a dream. And you had best hear it. It was like this: I saw a log with eyes!"
"The log's all right," said Megan. "There are many logs in the sea (big). But leave out the eyes!"
"That I won't," said Cueball. "Twas the eyes as made me sit up, so to speak. I saw what I took to be a log floating along in the half-light behind a rock; but I didn't give much heed to it. Then it seemed as if the log was slowly catching us up. And that was peculiar, as you might say. Just then I saw the eyes: two pale sort of points, shiny-like, on a hump at the near end of the log. What's more, it wasn't a log, for it had paddle-feet, like a swan's almost, only they seemed bigger, and kept dipping in and out of the water.
"That's when I sat right up and rubbed my eyes, meaning to give a shout, if it were still there when I had rubbed the drowse out of my head. For the whatever-it-was was coming along fast now and getting closer to us. But whether those two lamps spotted me moving and staring, or whether I came to my senses, I don't know. When I looked again, it wasn't there. Yet I think I caught a glimpse, with the tail of my eye, as the saying is, of something dark shooting under the shadow of the bank. I couldn't see no more eyes, though."
"I said to myself: 'dreaming again, Cueball,' I said; and I said no more just then. But I've been thinking since, and now I'm not so sure. What do you make of it, Miss Megan?"
"I should make nothing of it but a log and the dusk and the sleep in your eyes, Cueball," said Megan, "if this was the first time that those eyes had been seen. But it isn't. I saw them away back before we left the castles. I saw a strange creature with eyes coming up to us while I lay down to rest after building the topmost castle.
"And I remember more too," said Cueball. "I don't like my thoughts, but thinking of one thing and another, I fancy I could put a name on the creature, at a guess. A nasty name. LaPetite, maybe?"
"Yes, that is what I have feared for some time," said Megan. "Ever since the night on the platform. I suppose she was lurking near the beach, and picked up our trail then. The miserable creature must have been hiding behind some rock, watching us start off!"
"That's about it," said Cueball. "And we'd better be a bit more watchful ourselves, or we'll feel some nasty fingers around out necks one of these nights, if we wake up to anything. And that's what I was leading up to. I'll keep watch."
"Alright," said Megan. "But only if you promise to wake me up half-way towards morning, if nothing happens before then."

In the dead hours Megan came out of a deep dark sleep to find Cueball shaking her. "It's a shame to wake you," whispered Cueball, "but that's what you said. There's nothing to tell, or not much. I thought I heard some soft splashing and a sniffling noise, a while back; but you hear a lot of such queer sounds by the sea (big) at night."
He lay down, and Megan sat up, huddled in her blankets, and fought off her sleep. Minutes or hours passed slowly, and nothing happened. Megan was just yielding to the temptation to lie down again when a dark shape, hardly visible, floated close to the shore. A long whitish hand could be dimly seen as it shot out and grabbed a rock; two pale lamplike eyes shone coldly as they peered inside, and then they lifted and gazed up at Megan on the eyot. They were not more than a yard or two away, and Megan heard the soft hiss of intaken breath. She stood up, drawing a knife from her bag, and faced the eyes. Immediately, their light was shut off. There was another hiss and a splash, and the dark log-shape shot away back out to sea into the night. Cueball stirred in his sleep, turned over, and sat up.
"What is it?" he whispered, springing up and coming down to Megan. "Why have you got your knife out?"
"LaPetite," answered Megan. "Or at least, so I guess."
"Ah!" said Cueball. "I'd hoped our journey would eventually beat her, but she is too clever a water-girl. We shall have to try going faster tomorrow. You lie down now, and I will keep watch for what is left of the night. I wish I could lay my hands on the wretch. We might make her useful. Maybe she knows if there are other rivers… but if I cannot, we will have to try and lose her. She is very dangerous. Quite apart from murder by night on her own account, she may, Randall forbid… Steal our bags."

Anyways... time to coma. I caught up 7 Oldpages today, but I still have a lot of Blitzing to do.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed May 08, 2013 3:42 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

Still don't get it...

Nor do I. :?

Buffygirl has been milliner for a couple of perfect customers in the OTT. Does that Helper?

ETA: If that doesn't clear it up and you'd like to be let in on the joke, open the spoiler.
Spoiler:
Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer = Pope

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 08, 2013 3:57 am UTC

slinches wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

Hunh?

Still don't get it...

That catholic bloke with the hat's home's headwear maker's top notch client.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:00 am UTC

ONG top of the hill

Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 08, 2013 4:02 am UTC

Yes, the top of the hill! It's all downhill from here :P Does this mean the river is going through a valley?

yappobiscuits wrote:
slinches wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

Hunh?

Still don't get it...

That catholic bloke with the hat's home's headwear maker's top notch client.

Pontiff's Place's Peak-Protector Producer's Peerless Purchaser?

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 08, 2013 4:30 am UTC

slinches wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:

Hunh?

Still don't get it...

lol, ok yes, I get the gist .... it's the word "see" that's throwing me off. Also, Smithers doesn't have a hat....

oh well, it's ok. :D

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Wed May 08, 2013 4:40 am UTC

New Other Comic's up. And surprise surprise, it's about a subject ("Encoding") we've just recently been discussing here in the OTT.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed May 08, 2013 4:41 am UTC

Dracomax wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Negative. Lorem Ipsum is outside the jurisdiction of the Inquisition.

Nothing is outside the juristiction of the inquisition. For the heresy of suggesting it is, I sentence you to say the word "juristiction" over and over again until it loses all meaning.

I'd change that sentence if I was you.
You know, quotes and spoilers don't interact very well... this is not a threat

Dracomax wrote:Also, that's a lot of boom de yadas. thanks for spoilering them.

You're welcome. I thought it was the appropriate thing to do.
Furthermore, I'd be permabanned from these forums if I didn't do so.

mscha wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:I see no conflict myself. Lord Randall has specified the giraffe as a unit of altitude, specifically; the cue is still a valid unit for length in general.

Yes, but it's an Outside unit, making it heretical.

I believe we all are very aware of the disruptions caused by Time on the Outer Worlds (What-If and other xkcd comics).
That means Time is not a closed system (at least not by itself), but it can leak to other systems. Therefore follows that the Outer Worlds are not part of the Outside, but of the Intel Inside.

ucim wrote:
mscha wrote:It's only heresy to use Outside units within the universe of the OT[CTW]. So it's fine for our Lord Randall to use giraffes, meters, or even feet as units, as long as He doesn't do it in the OTT (where He doesn't post) or in the OTC (or in fact, if He uses them there, it would make them non-heretic).

Yea, verily do I say unto thee, it is not our place to say what Our Lord Randall (if I may be forgiven for uttering His name, unworthy as I may be) may or may not do. For He is like unto the sea, and does whatever He wants, for it was He who createth the sea, and the river, and the sand, and the vegetation, and the fruit-bats, and the breakfast ce.. (ouch!) Now where was I? Ah, yes. He createth these things in the One True Thread, and He createth these things outside the One True Thread. And they are all good, everywhere he createth them, for they are all created by the One True Author.

That which He hath created, He hath entrusted unto us, that they be not wasted by unuse. For how doth it benefit a man1 to be bestowed with riches if he2 lets them lie fallow.

He bestoweth upon us the Sacred Unit of the giraffe, and it is good. There is a reason, and it is a Good Reason. As to what that reason is, I refer you again to the First Commandment:

Wait for it. (Unless you are the C, in which case, Waite for It)

This.
I therefore proclaim anyone who dares doubting of Lord Randall a heretic. And they must feel pain. Pain level 10.

Spoiler:
Ah, the power… I feel it!

Hmm… did we ever had a war between the different sects?
I feel like I could start one.

Smithers wrote:
814840.jpg

He doesn't look like a giraffe… does he? :shock:

Kieryn wrote:Is there an authority on newpix?

Yes. We call it ‘The Great Lord Randall’.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 08, 2013 4:42 am UTC

Coincidence: I was reading TVTropes (intentionally) and at the bottom of Readings Blew Up The Scale, Phineas and Ferb is mentioned.

buffygirl, See or SEE may refer to:
[*]The act of visual perception
[*]The term "See:" as a form of citation signal
[*]Episcopal see, domain of authority of a bishop
[*]Holy See, the central government of the Roman Catholic Church
[*]See Tickets, a British ticketing services company
[*]See Magazine, an alternative weekly newspaper in Edmonton, Canada

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Wed May 08, 2013 5:00 am UTC

ONG, to god-damned hell with ONG! We have no ONG. In fact, we don't need ONG. I don't have to show you any stinking ONG, you god-damned cabrón and chinga tu madre!
glaciers!?

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed May 08, 2013 5:03 am UTC

So their hills have people who chuck stuff into their river... but those hills are smaller.

I wonder what these bigger hills have in them!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 08, 2013 5:06 am UTC

Valarya wrote:So their hills have people who chuck stuff into their river... but those hills are smaller.

Emeralds.

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Wed May 08, 2013 5:09 am UTC

Valarya wrote:So their hills have people who chuck stuff into their river... but those hills are smaller.

Here be dragons?

Or velociraptors?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”