1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

buffygirl
Cardinal

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 08, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

slinches wrote:Buffygirl, leave it to you to so expertly juxtapose the grandeur and wonder of natural phenomena with the most glorious of man's achievements (technology and delicious pressed sandwiches). If you deem me worthy, my new avatar1 would greatly appreciate a spiffy chapeau crafted by your masterful and creative millinery talents. :D

Added!

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Wed May 08, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

Hmm, do I want to do the BlitzGirl thing? I think I'll merely trek, since I don't really have the talents (or time, really) for signposts. Greetings from NP 537!

foilman

Postby foilman » Wed May 08, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Marching alONG...

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 08, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:Hmm, do I want to do the BlitzGirl thing? I think I'll merely trek, since I don't really have the talents (or time, really) for signposts. Greetings from NP 537!

Is NP newpix or newpage? Should we be abbreviating either?
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed May 08, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

NP = New Page
np= newpix
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Purplepants77

Postby Purplepants77 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

Man, I haven't posted in a while, but I've had such a hard time (sort of) keeping up that I haven't bothered to post/reply to all of the awesome comments and stuff that I've seen. Here I Wait at the top of 499/568 Newpages. I will try my best to remember most of the stuff I wanted to say, but no promises I'll remember all of it1.

Spoiler:
Firstly, I have to say what everyone else has been saying, yet still needs to be said. Wow BlitzGirl, you really outdid yourself with that present. Totally awesome. Like, very totally awesome. Fantastic even. Super cool. Groovy! Psychedelic! Sexy!! Hauntingly spectacular.... well... point is... I liked it. Thanks! :D

Next, I am very happy to see the return of our Pope Helper. I may not have been visible to his Holiness at the Time, but I have been lurking since around the heyday of the Church and of course Pope Helper. Our Pope had vanished before I delurked so it is comforting to (almost-ish) have him here! Great to hear that the real Hal made it back too! I know some of them have been mentioned back here, but has anyone seen cmyk, Dracomax, or manvandemaan up there? I'm getting worried.
EDIT: Found Dracomax's return 4 posts down! Haha woops... Yay!

I'm really loving all of buffygirls' hats too! I like all the avatars with the buffy/BlitzGirl combos and all the awesome gifs that I see have become popular. Maybe if I ever make it back up, I'll get an avatar so I can have a hat too! (it looks like buffygirl is making more hats again)

Um.. What else?...

Oh! That bed looks awesome! Fine craftsmanship!

Also, I really like the bag puns, but for a strangely different reason. My cousin and I have a running gagbag based off of the scene from Dodgeball where Patches says "That's what this sack of wrenches is for." We found it funny the way he emphasized the word "sack" so for years now we've been replacing words with "SACK!" (for example, we had a lot of fun with the DosEquis DoSACKies commercials) Seeing as bag/sack can mean the same thing (though not always :wink: ) I found particular enjoyment in that section of the OTT. Yes, I have a 10 year old's brain too. But I like it. He's mine. (The ring bag SACK is mine!)

Finally, I'd just like to say "You guys so silly" to pretty much everything else in this thread so far. So here goes: You guys so silly.

Wish me luck on catching up on the 70 NP I have left (it was 100 yesterday when I woke up!)
I'll see you in the future, hopefully2 definitely.3

1 If you know of something I was thinking of saying, but I didn't mention it please send me back a message in a sig (bottle? sock? dilgunnerang?) and I'll mention it next time around.
2 Are you enjoying fed up with all my strikethroughs yet?
3 I hope.
Last edited by Purplepants77 on Wed May 08, 2013 3:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Still blitzing away and will be for some time.

Current Location: NP 1432
NP from Present: 891
Current Progress: 61.6%

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed May 08, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

Updated version of the map, now on the wiki (see "Mapping")
Direct link to svg :
http://images.wikia.com/xkcd-time/image ... me-Map.svg

I don't remember who made the panorama of the first journey (where we see the shore line), or the image with the forking as a series of horizontal strips... it would be great to have these appear in the wiki :-)
Last edited by edfel on Wed May 08, 2013 4:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed May 08, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
slinches wrote:Buffygirl, leave it to you to so expertly juxtapose the grandeur and wonder of natural phenomena with the most glorious of man's achievements (technology and delicious pressed sandwiches). If you deem me worthy, my new avatar1 would greatly appreciate a spiffy chapeau crafted by your masterful and creative millinery talents. :D

Added!

Awesome, thanks! I have a higher res version if that helps.

Kieryn wrote:
jetpac wrote:Hmm, do I want to do the BlitzGirl thing? I think I'll merely trek, since I don't really have the talents (or time, really) for signposts. Greetings from NP 537!

Is NP newpix or newpage? Should we be abbreviating either?

Red Hal wrote:NP = New Page
np= newpix

It seems that initialism convention has been propagating into the past. I can't seem to find where it was first suggested, but I thought it was more recent than NP 5371.

1But that may just be my poor sense of time in Time and the OTT.

treadman

Postby treadman » Wed May 08, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

edfel wrote:Updated version of the map, now on the wiki (see "Mapping")
Direct link to svg :

I don't remember who made the panorama of the first journey (where we see the shore line), or the image where with the forking as a series of horizontal strips... it would be great to have these appear in the wiki :-)

I'm loving all the graphs and maps. Great work everyone! Now someone should get to work on the MMORPG, so we can play around in the OTC. :)

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

Blitz progress: 484 of 568
The Great Hike (pt. 2), NP1019

Brief list of topics discussed:
More talk of the gray "mustard" (my observations below)
Filling Pope Helper in on some of The Past's goings on, including: history of post-[d/b/g]ONG frame changing, timestamp manipulation

With the talk of the gray mustard, I don't see it in any of the images, not even in paint or opening it in my programming language of choice and looking at raw pixel values and color tables. I think Randall must have changed it. Does this mean he made a mistake? I know that makes me sound heretical. But, it seems as though someone has shared my sentiments, in somewhat prophetic fashion:
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:
beargarden wrote:I don't like these posts about artifacts from image creation. Surely Randall would not be that careless? Those lines look pretty purposeful.
To me it looks like little roots sprouting into the ground, but that's a wild guess.

Its hard to be 100% certain either way. It is possible he will go back and fix the frames when someone points it out to him. The problem with him fixing it though as it would confirm it was a drawing mistake. He has fixed some past frames before so it is possible.

So we should keep an eye on these frames in the future for any changes anyway.

The next frame may be affected as well but It shouldn't be in the frame after that as he would have started to draw the frame from scratch again and I don't think he would make the same mistake twice! If it is still there then maybe it is not a mistake at all. We have to wait for it...

Helper wrote:
beargarden wrote:I don't like these posts about artifacts from image creation. Surely Randall would not be that careless? Those lines look pretty purposeful.
To me it looks like little roots sprouting into the ground, but that's a wild guess.

Yeah, I really can't imagine anything that would create 'artifacts' like that...

Randall-at-work2.gif

This shows how such artifacts would be created by drawing lines and then filling them in to make a new random landscape. If this was done with a non black colour you would end up with the exact result we see in the frame.

Edit: updated gif to make edits grey instead of black

Someone missed a huge happening from the 5 Oldpages before he posted this:
Spoiler:
Exodies wrote:
diego5wh wrote:It is impossible for me to keep track of this tread as i would like it. (the outside is just taking too much.... time) but I have to say I love the puns, and that comic by BlitzGirl is amazing.

Does anyone knows what happen to helper? (i know he is missing after reading the BlitzGirl comic) has anyone PM him or something? may be someone in the outside kidnap him so he couldn't perform his papal duties. (i hope he is ok)

my other question would be if anyone here posts in other treads of the forums.

keep on waiting people!

Helper is dead. Run over by a bus (number 29 if the rumours are true). The funeral will be threaded.

And: the Comic doesn't show a loop, it's an echo. Which is why I asked about the first note of Pink Floyd's song Echoes from the Meddle album some umpteen pages back.

O sleep, o come to me you who are night's daughter
And I'll give you my eyes for the colors that rise
As time's echoes reflect on your water

I came upon an intriguing post from another Time Traveller, Vytron, who seems like he's deeper in Time than I. I wish him the best of luck, and hopefully by the time his Present reaches this signpost he is much closer to his goal.
Spoiler:
Vytron wrote:- Sorry to interrupt your present, this is a message from the past -

Apr 05, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Page 246/482

8th post of the page.

AAAAAH! Finally, I reach my favorite Timeframe in the whole comic :D (up to about two week ago erm, April 15? Where I stopped following the Time Comic so that I could follow together with the people from The Past - So that, I'll never know what happens in the comic until I reach the pages in the thread where those TimeFrames appear)

Yes, I had already seen it but it's not truly appreciated until you follow the whole realization of the Castleception and read people calling in the tiny trebuchet before it happened :) - Once again, time well spent, I'll continue to catch up religiously. Sorry for the delay people replying to me, I'll probably reply to your replies by June!

Curious things:

Seeing the avatar based on this picture before seeing this picture:

A snapshot of time:

kryton happy to have surpassed 100 posts when it's about to pass 200.

And finally:

BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 126 out of 243 pages.
Operation Connect Castle. NP 201.

Gee Willikers! I had forgotten I am in the past, which means BlitzGirl hasn't caught up yet! Not only that, at the time of this post, she's way behind me! Oh!

Keep going BlitzGirl! I know you can do it! In fact, I know you have done will do it! I have seen the future, and you'll catch up way before I do!

- And now, Back To The Present -
I'm not sure if that was a joke, or if one of us is ignorant about how Time Travel works. You are currently in the Past, meaning you are seeing our Pasts. BlitzGirl is now (and has been) caught up to the Present, even in my current Present (which is still somewhat deep in her Past). It is really confusing how Time Travel can affect your frame of reference, especially when you're referencing other Time Travelers. Even though you are trying to talk to her in your Present, which is our Past, your message of Blitzcouragement is sent immediately to the Present Present, where BlitzGirl is already caught up. I think that's how it works, at least...

I have encountered yet another nifty tool through my journey:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:http://www.mscha.org/tmp/xkcd/index.cgi now lists, for each frame:

• frame number;
  • link to image downloaded at *ONG;
  • link to image on XKCD servers;
  • If the above images are different, link to image showing differences.

There's my miniBlitz for the morning. Luckily I am still making up ground every time, even if it is only by one OldPage per miniBlitz...
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

hwhitney

Postby hwhitney » Wed May 08, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

Well, there goes my theory that the OTC will end on frame 1190...
Time traveling Film Hamster http://www.filmhamster.com

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 08, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

hwhitney wrote:Well, there goes my theory that the OTC will end on frame 1190...

Not yet. We're at 1189, 1190 won't be posted for almost an ho a newpix.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 08, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

LONGEVITIES...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 08, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

ucim wrote:@edfel: Awesome map!

I think that their adventure is happening in a fictional place, rather than a real place on the same Earth we live in. I'm sure there are many places which would fit what we know about this world so far (which is precious little), and much of what we think we know comes from the observations of a stick figure of questionable intellectual capacity... so much so that it is becoming its own trope, different in flavor from the other cluelessness tropes out there.

And while we're talking about Disney cartoons ("Phineas and Ferb"), I remember two extremely short-lived shows from when I was in the US in about 1981-2 or so. I think they ran for all of two episodes before being cancelled - they were so bad they were great. One had to do with two cave-men (sort of like the Flintstones in live-action) who were on a quest to find the [something-or-other], which consisted of two different materials which when brought together made a terrific boom (I am thinking A-bomb analogue), and another which had a very annoying (teenage?) girl in it who was an over-the-top self-centered princess-type... They came and went at about the same time. Alas, I remember it only slightly better than I can describe it (memory being the second thing to go, you know). I've looked high and low but have been unable to unearth anything related to this.

They were quirky to the extent that they would probably have a limited audience, but one that would love it.

I wonder if anybody here remembers anything like that. The first one (especially) reminds me a bit about the Cugan world.

Jose

FYI: There's a thread on the forum entitled Things you remember watching but can't remember the name of

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed May 08, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
hwhitney wrote:Well, there goes my theory that the OTC will end on frame 1190...

Not yet. We're at 1189, 1190 won't be posted for almost an ho a newpix.

I don't think he'll end it on the next frame unless he wants to leave us with a cliffhanger:
Attachments
cliffhanger.png
cliffhanger.png (3.2 KiB) Viewed 16913 times

GerardE

Postby GerardE » Wed May 08, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

Sorry for the outside reference, but while reading a newspaper I found something to share with you here in the OTT that need some more certainty about the future of a world, but just don't care so much about the timing: http://smp.uq.edu.au/content/pitch-drop-experiment.
Wait for IT. Business always complaining.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed May 08, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

I'm 4 newpix away from the present, trying to make it before 1190 hits. I will make it! I'm a sad, sad, little man.

StratPlayer wrote:
airdrik wrote:Well, since Babbage provides the JUST-IN-CASE statement, we're covered ;).

:D Forgot to comment on this earlier -- excellent! I hadn't seen that list in a very long while, and it made me laugh and brought back memories from my old FORTRAN days.

This made me laugh and I've only experience with JavaScript and server languages and modern OS-based programming. I believe that Babbage should be declared the official programming language of Time.

PhoenixRising wrote:I would argue, as a non-writer, that a writer is a mirror whose job is to show us what's all around us but we regularly ignore. IOW, your job was to take the insanity everywhere and force us to actually see it in all its glory. Well done. :mrgreen:

Yeah.

*looks around*

That's what I was doing.

*runs out but not before exposing self*

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed May 08, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

slinches wrote:Is NP newpix or newpage? Should we be abbreviating either?
np= newpix

It seems that initialism convention has been propagating into the past. I can't seem to find where it was first suggested, but I thought it was more recent than NP 5371.

No, it's not propagating into the past, it's just the difference in our frames of reference.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

GerardE wrote:Sorry for the outside reference, but while reading a newspaper I found something to share with you here in the OTT that need some more certainty about the future of a world, but just don't care so much about the timing: http://smp.uq.edu.au/content/pitch-drop-experiment.

No drop yet? Damn, ain't that a pitch!?

All we can do is Wait for It...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Wed May 08, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

More language musings from the Dialogue.

I searched for "the river is broken" (cf 1052.1: "this river doesn't look broken") and came across this blogpost:
Once we were afloat and all on board, we hunkered down and waited for the sharks to stop throwing rocks at us. After a little while, they gave up and went away. Ben and Thorpe changed their wet pants and socks – we’re still wary of getting wet, even if this kind doesn’t burn on contact. Who knows what else it might do? (...) now that the river is broken and the skies have turned against us, nothing about this is safe
The fiction is called The Apocalypse Blog. I can certainly see where the post-apocalyptists (?) among us are coming from.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

fatness

Postby fatness » Wed May 08, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

azule wrote:*runs out but not before exposing self*

Well, that explains the trench coat.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 08, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:I've been wondering about hidden messages in the text of the kind you mention too (first/last letters, number of letters in each word, and so on)*, but my skills are very definitely in languages, not cryptography. I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest here in the latter aspect with regard to the dialogue, though. Anyone want to take a look?

*In fact rereading myself I've realised it reminds me of the oddly-worded clues in the book Masquerade.

I followed that link and literally caught my breath when I saw the cover. Me and my friends were OBSESSED with that book! We were soooo disappointed when the treasure was found by some unworthy loser! Over the years I'd forgotten the name of the book, and you've given it back to me! Thank you!

Angelastic wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Well, they were able to swim in baconatedsemencoffeecancerbabies, so I'm still not sure why the River1 has them so freaked.

Apparently, they think river water is better than sea water for drinking, but worse than sea water for swimming. This lends weight1 to the idea that it's the Dead Sea; they're used to the water being so salty that they can float in it easily, and they've heard that river water does not have this property, so they know it's more difficult (dangerous, even) to swim in, and they're not sure whether it's even possible to swim in.

1for it.

I like this idea.

edfel wrote:Hey !
I've toyed along drawing a map of the [un]explored world, trying to fit as precisely to the data at hand. The distances are based on the number of newpix needed to go from one point to the other (e.g., when Megan or Cueball left the sandcastle in the Sandcastle Eon, it usually took 60-70 newpix... assuming they went to the tents, they must be ~30 CueganNewpix away from the beach, and so on).
I've got an svg version of this, so it'll be easy to update.

Wow, that is awesome! And it's pretty much consistent with how I've envisioned it in my head. Thanks!

The only problem is the fact that when they left the castle, they headed "north" (away from the castle and the sea).

k.bookbinder wrote:
Plutarch wrote:OK, that's a reasonable point, but is it still not the case that they have demonstrated a complete ignorance of tides, seas and rivers, in a way that is unrealistic for people as advanced as they seem to be?

The ancient Egyptians built the pyramids. It proves nothing. Would their ancient civilization, living on a flood plain at the edge of a desert, have ever imagined the tides of the Bay of Fundy? Or the expanse of the Pacific? Or the lush green world of the Amazon basin?

Cuegan built a sandcastle. They used ropes and spars to build a platform, not poured concrete or steel beams. They drink from what appear to be skins, not plastic bottles. The Creator of Time, infinite in his ineffable-ness, has endowed them with the knowledge and abilities he saw fit. We can not even be sure that we know what they know, or know what they don't know. Such is the will of the Creator of Time.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

I agree. I can see how they would be ABLE to create the castles -- all it takes to build a castle is a lot of trial and error, whereas understanding tides, seas, etc. requires broader knowledge of their world. I think a more relevant question is where have they seen a castle before off of which to model the one that they built?

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed May 08, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:
slinches wrote:Is NP newpix or newpage? Should we be abbreviating either?
np= newpix

No, it's not propagating into the past, it's just the difference in our frames of reference.

Ah, that must be it. It seems that may be one of the problems with having so many reference timeframes which color grayscale our perspectives of the many NewPages Newposts and newpix.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 08, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

1190NG...

Nothing special.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 08, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Direct link to svg :

I don't remember who made the panorama of the first journey (where we see the shore line), or the image with the forking as a series of horizontal strips... it would be great to have these appear in the wiki :-)

The horizontal strips was me... Here's the direct link: http://kieryn.com/xkcd-time/img/river-side.png
Image- Kieryn

Montov

Postby Montov » Wed May 08, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

mscha wrote:1190NG...

Nothing special.

Nothing special!?!

This is the deciding frame, with respotted black pixels.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Wed May 08, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:I followed that link and literally caught my breath when I saw the cover. Me and my friends were OBSESSED with that book! We were soooo disappointed when the treasure was found by some unworthy loser! Over the years I'd forgotten the name of the book, and you've given it back to me! Thank you!
For a real trip down memory lane, look here. I think I gave my original copy of the book away. The artwork has such an unnerving quality. I recall being very excited when with a schoolfriend we solved the extra riddle published in the Sunday Times. Didn't help us find the treasure though :(
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Yes, the top of the hill! It's all downhill from here :P Does this mean the river is going through a valley?

yappobiscuits wrote:
slinches wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Smithers wrote:<snip>
Alteration: Holy See Haberdasher's Infallible Patron. Sweet.

Hunh?

A.K.A. The Smallest Country in the World's Hatter's Incontrovertible Consumer.

Still don't get it...

Alternatively, the unerring and well hatted apostolic palatial resident.

That catholic bloke with the hat's home's headwear maker's top notch client.

Pontiff's Place's Peak-Protector Producer's Peerless Purchaser?

Blindposting (still got some pages to read, and Outside tasks keep getting in my way) to say: sigged.
Well, sigged the last one, at least. I may eventually put all of them in there, or at least most.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed May 08, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

<snip/>
Nothing special.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYep. I'm glad I rushed. lol.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 08, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

Back to the cliff for a second nanothingynewpix...
(note - I have caught up and I think I read all the posts, but it's possible I missed something)

Re: The frames where they face us, before and after the cliff frame -

I don't think it's about the fourth wall. I think that GLR is just letting us know that c&m have turned to their right (toward the river) to peer over the cliff, and GLR gives us a shot from the front. Then the camera gives us a "north" facing view (I have envisioned them walking north along the river) to show us the cliff, then back to an "east" facing view as they face the river again, and then an east facing view as they head north again.

If those two front-facing frames had not been there, then it would be logical to assume that the camera never changed view, i.e. they had reached the of the line. I admit it took me a minute to realize the cliff was to their right (on their path), not in front of them.

So in conclusion, I assert that their facing us was NOT about the fourth wall. QED.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed May 08, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

What's our next number to find significance in? 2001? Oh, YUP! Just like the "Odyssey", M&C are primitive, and always will be compared to what is out there in the world universe. What I'm saying is: At 2001np we're going to space, bitches()!

() You're not bitches. Just a phrase.

slinches, fucking awesome cliffhanger mod! 8-)

treadman wrote:
Direct link to svg :

I don't remember who made the panorama of the first journey (where we see the shore line), or the image where with the forking as a series of horizontal strips... it would be great to have these appear in the wiki :-)

I'm loving all the graphs and maps. Great work everyone! Now someone should get to work on the MMORPG, so we can play around in the OTC. :)

Firstly, great map work, edfel. Love the SVGness. :)

Secondly, MMORPG, yes, fun! While you (whoever) are at it, get on that PKMNMMORPG. ;)

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 08, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:
buffygirl wrote:I followed that link and literally caught my breath when I saw the cover. Me and my friends were OBSESSED with that book! We were soooo disappointed when the treasure was found by some unworthy loser! Over the years I'd forgotten the name of the book, and you've given it back to me! Thank you!
For a real trip down memory lane, look here. I think I gave my original copy of the book away. The artwork has such an unnerving quality. I recall being very excited when with a schoolfriend we solved the extra riddle published in the Sunday Times. Didn't help us find the treasure though :(

Thank you for this! I will look at it more closely when I have the Time.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

FAKEONG...
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

hwhitney

Postby hwhitney » Wed May 08, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Nothing special.

I have not been following the OTT as closely as some Timewaiters. Is the Book of Aubron not accurate? This shows as frame #1193 there...
Time traveling Film Hamster http://www.filmhamster.com

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 08, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

azule wrote:What's our next number to find significance in? 2001? Oh, YUP! Just like the "Odyssey", M&C are primitive, and always will be compared to what is out there in the world universe. What I'm saying is: At 2001np we're going to space, bitches()!

treadman wrote:
Direct link to svg :

Secondly, MMORPG, yes, fun! While you (whoever) are at it, get on that PKMNMMORPG. ;)

I so wish I had the time to do this myself... However I am willing to help... I have skillz in Unity3d, Blender, various other CGI tools.1

I have been contemplating writing a game of some sorts around based around the OTC, but again it all comes to my available time. I am taking a honk of vacation in July, so if I was to do anything, that would be when.

1EDIT: These are of course in addition to my unmentioned general hacking/programming/software architecture skillz
Last edited by Kieryn on Wed May 08, 2013 6:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Wed May 08, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

DOREMIFASOLATIDONG

descor

Postby descor » Wed May 08, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:FAKEONG...
Spoiler:

If that does turn out to be the last frame you will win all the Internets ever.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
Eutychus wrote:

Thank you for this! I will look at it more closely when I have the Time.

I get back on after several newpices, and the first thing I see is a reference to Masquerade. Awesome! I loved that book, though I never actually did the work of solving the riddle. The illustrations were weird and amazing.

The bunnyears links seems to be broken. Funny, I read it as "bunny year," typed that, and realized it looked funny. You'd think my brain would have gone straight to "bunny ears," which makes much more sense.

And yep, I put the comma in the quotation marks, because that's how we roll here in the U.S. of A.

Edited to say: Hey! I'm Pope! I'm..what, we're not doing that anymore? Oh...

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 08, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
azule wrote:What's our next number to find significance in? 2001? Oh, YUP! Just like the "Odyssey", M&C are primitive, and always will be compared to what is out there in the world universe. What I'm saying is: At 2001np we're going to space, bitches()!

treadman wrote:
Direct link to svg :

I so wish I had the time to do this myself... However I am willing to help... I have skillz in Unity3d, Blender, various other CGI tools.

I have been contemplating writing a game of some sorts around based around the OTC, but again it all comes to my available time. I am taking a honk of vacation in July, so if I was to do anything, that would be when.

So what would be the goal of the game? To travel across the sands and look at rivers? To wield your dilgunerang to try and knock down sand castles? To go on a great quest for no real reason and mumble random nonsensical things about water?

Or to see how many nerds you can snipe with open-ended commands like "Wait For It"?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

speising

Postby speising » Wed May 08, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Or it was created in 40 days and 40 nights when our Lord Randall, in His infinite wisdom, brought a pixel flood upon the universe of Time. ;)

oh lord randall, this really is killing me!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”