1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Montov

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Montov » Thu May 09, 2013 6:45 am UTC

Love the sand glass theory, and the picture of it!

btw, this is my 4th post according to the post counter. It feels more like dozens, but the counter can't be wrong.

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: Inquiring minds want to know

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:47 am UTC

Davidy wrote:Off topic, on subject...

Back in oldpix 849, the rightmost tower of Cueball's and Megan's construction finally lost its battle with the sea, while la Petite dragged something into the scene and removed the flag from the leftmost tower. What was she dragging and what did she need the flag for?

Spoiler:

Is it just me or do Cueball and Megan in "Time" seem a lot dumber than the Cueball and Megan in the "regular" XKCD comics where they exhibit scientific, mathematical, biological and social knowledge? Are they indeed one and the same?

Newpix 849 (from mscha):
Spoiler:

In case you mistyped:
Newpix 949:
Spoiler:

Newpix 749:
Spoiler:

And the image address of the picture you uploaded, in addition to being from explainxkcd, is 'time970norm.png'
Frame 970:
Spoiler:

Full whiteout.

Not to mention the fact that the image you uploaded isn't an actual newpix. The tower on the right never looked like that, and it never looked so... pixelated.
My theory: this is another one of your image manips (I'm starting to think of you as cmyk's replacements), picturing frame 849 from an alternate universe where Megan awoke from her nap while La Petite was around and recruited her in the castle/platform-building effort.
ETA: Time for coma! No, really! It's 2am here, my alarm clock goes off in four hours!
What fun.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Thu May 09, 2013 6:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Thu May 09, 2013 6:48 am UTC

Lukeonia1 wrote:
Davidy wrote:Is it just me or do Cueball and Megan in "Time" seem a lot dumber than the Cueball and Megan in the "regular" XKCD comics where they exhibit scientific, mathematical, biological and social knowledge? Are they indeed one[/two] and the same?

I've put some contemplation into this, and I don't think there's any continuity to be had between the One True Comic and the Other Comics.

That said, I think Megan and Cueball's apparent lack of knowledge is deliberate. It sort of reminds me of the play/movie Rozencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. Megan and Cueball were created from nothing at the start of Time, and started out with only the rudimentary knowledge they needed to carry the plot along: how to speak, how to build sandcastles, where to get bags, and so on. Everything else they know, about the sea, the rivers, the rain, and the hills, they had to figure out for themselves since the Beginning. Except, you know, hopefully things will turn out better for Megan and Cueball than they did for R&G.

I feel it's an allegory for our own ignorance, and as Megan and Cueball explore their world and uncover piecemeal the various Truths, so are they revealed to us by the Lord Randall. This, I think, is the whole point of Time, and the reason why we are called to Wait For It.

Have I posted in the One True Thread before?

Your user id isn't in this list: http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits, so probably not.

I don't think there's continuity either.

"Allegory for our own ignorance" is an interesting thought. I don't think we have enough information to decide what the comic means, but there have been some interesting suggestions, the one I remember is global warming, but that seems a little to trite and un-Randall-ish.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Thu May 09, 2013 6:52 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Davidy wrote:Off topic, on subject...

Back in oldpix 849, the rightmost tower of Cueball's and Megan's construction finally lost its battle with the sea, while la Petite dragged something into the scene and removed the flag from the leftmost tower. What was she dragging and what did she need the flag for?

Spoiler:

Is it just me or do Cueball and Megan in "Time" seem a lot dumber than the Cueball and Megan in the "regular" XKCD comics where they exhibit scientific, mathematical, biological and social knowledge? Are they indeed one and the same?

Newpix 849 (from mscha):
Spoiler:

In case you mistyped:
Newpix 949:
Spoiler:

Newpix 749:
Spoiler:

And the image address of the picture you uploaded, in addition to being from explainxkcd, is 'time970norm.png'
Frame 970:
Spoiler:

Full whiteout.

Not to mention the fact that the image you uploaded isn't an actual newpix. The tower on the right never looked like that, and it never looked so... pixelated.
My theory: this is another one of your image manips (I'm starting to think of you as cmyk's replacements), picturing frame 849 from an alternate universe where Megan awoke from her nap while La Petite was around and recruited her in the castle/platform-building effort.
ETA: Time for coma! No, really! It's 2am here, my alarm clock goes off in four hours!
What fun.

Wasn't there an image, derived from the one just before fadeout or something like that, where if you increased the contrast you got something very like the image Davidy posted? There was a small difference in the pixel colors, just enough to convey the image, but not to make it visible.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu May 09, 2013 6:54 am UTC

Inquiring minds want to know: what happened to the title of the needle-pulled-thing?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu May 09, 2013 6:57 am UTC

Dudes, there's a comic going on here, too. I think Cueball's dead.
Prediction: LaPetite rescues him; gives him water.

Lukeonia1 wrote:Have I posted in the One True Thread before?

Either way, we're glad to have you here. Thank you. :)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Thu May 09, 2013 7:00 am UTC

Cueball's lagging again!
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 09, 2013 7:01 am UTC

TagaLONG:

What a slowpoke!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu May 09, 2013 7:07 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:Cueball's lagging again!

Please post the pic if you're the first to comment on it. But yeah, he's lagging. And, apologies, but Megan's being kind of a bitch again. I'm pretty sure he was dehydrated earlier (the rope hallucination) and he's just so tired. Why doesn't she wait up???? :(

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

I don't know what you're talking about.

Postby KarMann » Thu May 09, 2013 7:09 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Inquiring minds want to know: what happened to the title of the needle-pulled-thing?

Every time you post, you have the opportunity to set whatever you want as the subject, up above the main posting box. For replies, it's pre-filled with "Re: " plus the subject of what you're replying to, but you can wipe that out and set it to whatever you want. On the other hand, there was the Thing That Is On My Side For 600, Alex of Reckoning, when it was filled in with, well, that instead. But that's long behind us now.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Montov

Postby Montov » Thu May 09, 2013 7:10 am UTC

That can be solved by a lot of caching.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Thu May 09, 2013 7:11 am UTC

azule wrote:

Please post the pic if you're the first to comment on it.

I would, but I would end up posting the wrong link :( .
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 09, 2013 7:19 am UTC

azule wrote:<snip> And, apologies, but Megan's being kind of a bitch again. I'm pretty sure he was dehydrated earlier (the rope hallucination) and he's just so tired. Why doesn't she wait up???? :(

Yeah, Megan, be more considerate of Cueball and his brain-eating amoeba!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu May 09, 2013 7:48 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:

But, how did you see the right pic in order to comment on it? hah. Nice try.

Montov

Postby Montov » Thu May 09, 2013 8:00 am UTC

KLAPLONG[1] [2]

1 Anyone noticing how similar Dutch and Klingon is?5
5 Yeah, me neither
2 Pneumothorax4
4 There is no easier word for it in English?
3 Recursive time travel paradox3

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu May 09, 2013 8:01 am UTC

Ring-a-ding-dONG
Spoiler:

Edit: ninja'd!

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Thu May 09, 2013 8:03 am UTC

azule wrote:
Eutychus wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:

By visiting xkcd.com/1190.

Now here's something weird. I was going to say: but if you copy the image link location, it points to whatever the current newpic is, not the individual frame: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/png , so I would have been flamed by blitzers and ketchupists for posting that. [edited to clarify: that's definitely what it said for me just after the hour DONG, that's why I didn't post the image].

But now I go back and look, it points to the hash.

What's going on here? (I'm sorry, I haven't followed this aspect of things much at all. I have successfully posted the image of Other comics as a first post on the Other forum threads, but until recently the traffic's been too busy on this one for me to try). How does one get the hash url of the image right away?

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:16 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:
azule wrote:
Eutychus wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:

By visiting xkcd.com/1190.

Now here's something weird. I was going to say: but if you copy the image link location, it points to whatever the current newpic is, not the individual frame: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/png , so I would have been flamed by blitzers and ketchupists for posting that. [edited to clarify: that's definitely what it said for me just after the hour DONG, that's why I didn't post the image].

But now I go back and look, it points to the hash.

What's going on here? (I'm sorry, I haven't followed this aspect of things much at all. I have successfully posted the image of Other comics as a first post on the Other forum threads, but until recently the traffic's been too busy on this one for me to try). How does one get the hash url of the image right away?

I don't know about others, but I've found if you open the image into another tab, the url should be that of the hash, rather than the generic comic one.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 09, 2013 8:18 am UTC

ggh wrote:On a completely different note: I think the most contrived thing that's been said so far is "It's strange. Rivers flow to meet the sea. Maybe the sea couldn't wait." Anyone see any reason such a phrase would ever be uttered?

The consensus is that Cueball was being witty. The Sea wasn't content to wait for the River, so the Sea was rising to meet the River.
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Thu May 09, 2013 8:20 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:I don't know about others, but I've found if you open the image into another tab, the url should be that of the hash, rather than the generic comic one.

Thanks for the tip - although from where I'm sitting it still doesn't explain my experience just now. "Copy image location" in the generic comic returns the hash, whereas at earlier on it definitely didn't. More research is needed.

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Thu May 09, 2013 8:27 am UTC

azule wrote:

But yeah, he's lagging. And, apologies, but Megan's being kind of a bitch again. I'm pretty sure he was dehydrated earlier (the rope hallucination) and he's just so tired. Why doesn't she wait up???? :(

This is surely the end1.

1...of their rocky relationship.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu May 09, 2013 8:28 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:I don't know about others, but I've found if you open the image into another tab, the url should be that of the hash, rather than the generic comic one.

Thanks for the tip - although from where I'm sitting it still doesn't explain my experience just now. "Copy image location" in the generic comic returns the hash, whereas at earlier on it definitely didn't. More research is needed.

That's because just after you opened it, the notorious JavaScript hadn't done its thing yet, so you were just getting time.png. After a short time, the JS & Great Lord Randall's servers do their thing, and the image is replaced with the hash-named one, which should be identical, although it's occasionally happened otherwise.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 09, 2013 8:36 am UTC

astrocub wrote:
azule wrote:

But yeah, he's lagging. And, apologies, but Megan's being kind of a bitch again. I'm pretty sure he was dehydrated earlier (the rope hallucination) and he's just so tired. Why doesn't she wait up???? :(

This is surely the end1.

1...of their rocky relationship.

OK, what is their relationship? ...even in general terms.1 It doesn't seem like they are romantically involved, unless they have been with each other a long time. I'm sort of thinking brother and sister.

1How should that be punctuated, if I want the first part to be the question and the second part to be elaboration?
The end is always near.

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Thu May 09, 2013 8:39 am UTC

Maybe they are cousins? They share similar facial features.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 09, 2013 9:00 am UTC

Wait ONG.
Wait for him.
The end is always near.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 09, 2013 9:25 am UTC

Cueball's just dead weight anyway. Everyone knows that Megan is the driving force of the OTC. Rereading the Dialogue of Time makes that very clear.

(LaPetite is still a wild card...)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Thu May 09, 2013 9:41 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
azule wrote:<snip> And, apologies, but Megan's being kind of a bitch again. I'm pretty sure he was dehydrated earlier (the rope hallucination) and he's just so tired. Why doesn't she wait up???? :(

Yeah, Megan, be more considerate of Cueball and his brain-eating amoeba!

I like the way you think. According to descor's flowchart1
Spoiler:
End of the OTCmoeba.png

we should start a new sect of Amoebocysts.

1I may have adjusted it slightly.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 09, 2013 9:51 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Cueball's just dead weight anyway. Everyone knows that Megan is the driving force of the OTC. Rereading the Dialogue of Time makes that very clear.

(LaPetite is still a wild card...)

I was going to retort that you're just being a bit of a misandrist.1 But I read through the Dialogue before posting. Cueball has only three lines with any depth:

"It's strange. Rivers flow to meet the sea. Maybe the sea couldn't wait."

"But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like."

"I wonder if other people have noticed. It's been days."

The first of those is good...almost pithy. The second is a variation on an earlier comment by Megan. The third opens an interesting line of discussion, but it's Megan who shows the most insight on the topic.

So, if my way of thinking about the nature of their relationship is true, and they are brother and sister, then I'd infer that Megan is his older sister.2

1Yes, I had to look it up.
2And I don't infer that you're a misandrist. ;-)
The end is always near.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 09, 2013 10:01 am UTC

L ONG time no see...
C'mon deadweight, you can do it! (No kid-glove treatment, I guess!)

Edit: We decided double posts were OK for ONGs, right?
Edit: Why am I up? I should be in coma...
The end is always near.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Thu May 09, 2013 11:00 am UTC

A new experimental ONG

Is that it?

[Edited to add: Yay! apparently it is!! Thanks research assistants!]

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu May 09, 2013 11:01 am UTC

Looks like it, yes.

Wow, no posts between newpix?

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 09, 2013 11:03 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:<snip>
Kieryn wrote:I guess as both a Hattee and default appointee of the department, I have the authority to the following:

I Kieryn, analyser of data of the OTC, explorer of mystery in the OTC, on this NP 570 of the OTT, np 1193 of the OTC, hereby declare myself Supreme Head of the Time Foundations Data Analysis Department (henceforth abreviated as TFDA, pronounced 'tiff-dah'), and additionally announce the following official appointments:

Sciscitor, OTT Quote Specialist
Latent22, OTC Frame Specialist
cmyk, Graphics and Visualization Expert

I'm sorry, Director Kieryn; I'm afraid you can't do that.
At least not without the required blitzing paperwork, which I just did for you.
<snip>

Aw sorry about that. I stand corrected... My title is just Director then. The appointments still stand though, right?
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 09, 2013 11:05 am UTC

foilman wrote:Looks like it, yes.

This happened twice before on np 63 and np 606.
It would have been awesome if we'd had the foresight not to post during np 404.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 09, 2013 11:06 am UTC

foilman wrote:Wow, no posts between newpix?

None at all. I was watching to see if there would be anyone posting and who would ONG (congratulations Eutychus). Has that ever happened before?

Edit: Ninja'd on the answer:
Kieryn wrote:
foilman wrote:Looks like it, yes.

This happened twice before on np 63 and np 606.
It would have been awesome if we'd had the foresight not to post during np 404.

(and LOL)
The end is always near.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 09, 2013 11:15 am UTC

Ah yes, ninja Kieryn remembered faster than I did. :D

And Cueball's nice in his own goofy sort of way, he made the Recursive Sandcastle, after all. He's quite endearing, and I can see why Megan hangs out with him. But Megan's the one that seems to initiate most of Cuegan's actions, I've noticed. Expanding the Sandcastle, bringing the Poles, swimming in the semencoffeecancerbabies Sea, deciding to go find out about the Rivers, maintaining that they need to continue, etc. She's a can-do sort of gal!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu May 09, 2013 11:16 am UTC

AnotherKevin wrote:
Kaaterskill High Peak, on the eastern escarpment of the Catskill Mountains in New York State.

Interesting -- I have an uncle who owns a teeny little cabin hidden in the Shawangunks. I'll have to ask him about your pic.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 09, 2013 11:17 am UTC

It has been a while since I've tormented you with a puzzle! :twisted:

This one has another special message embedded. You have to solve the puzzle to find out what is special about this post. (Only this community would understand.) ;-)

This one comes with directions. Follow them carefully:
Place each of the characters in SHARE WIT exactly once in each row, column and 3×3 box. When you have completed the puzzle, the shaded squares will form the punch line of the joke read left to right, then top to bottom.
The end is always near.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu May 09, 2013 11:21 am UTC

mathrec wrote:
ggh wrote:On a completely different note: I think the most contrived thing that's been said so far is "It's strange. Rivers flow to meet the sea. Maybe the sea couldn't wait." Anyone see any reason such a phrase would ever be uttered?

The consensus is that Cueball was being witty. The Sea wasn't content to wait for the River, so the Sea was rising to meet the River.

I had my own theory about that:
Back on Newpage 515, jjjdavidson wrote:Or maybe Randall is running the longest shaggy-dog joke in history, with the final gag a pun on "Unchained Melody"?

Lonely rivers flow
To the sea, to the sea
To the open arms of the sea
Lonely rivers sigh
"Wait for me, wait for me"
I'll be coming home,
wait for me!

A song that's ripe for filking, if ever there was one.
And Time goes by
So slowly
And Time can do
So much
Are you
On-liiiiine?

There's been a subgroup of the Loop faction that believes the OTC will repeat with only changes to the dialogue, Randall riffing on the same set of images over and over again. I suggest that sect be called the "Unchained Comedists" and added to descor's flowchart.

htom wrote:300 baud? Antique school. I think my first Hayes was 300/150/75 but I never saw it connect at anything other than 300. FidoNet forever!

Yeah, my first modem was one of those rubber cup things that assumed that every phone handset in the world was built by Bell, like Matthew Broderick in Wargames. (I could whistle to it and it would whistle back. [Not Bach.]) And when they lock the kid in an office at NORAD and he immediately sits down at a terminal and starts hacking? That terminal's a Televideo TVI 950, the exact model I had on my desk at work at the time. It had a 24x80 display, like most text terminals - but it had a 96 line screen buffer, so you could actually scroll back 72 lines into the past! Way cool!

astrocub wrote:Maybe they are cousins? They share similar facial features.

*Snrk*
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 09, 2013 11:23 am UTC

mathrec wrote:
foilman wrote:Wow, no posts between newpix?

None at all. I was watching to see if there would be anyone posting and who would ONG (congratulations Eutychus). Has that ever happened before?)

I'm just back from coma, and was trying to compose my post-coma post, but apparently my brain isn't all the way back from coma yet, cause all I really had to say was a bunch of "me, too" and "that's right" so I didn't bother.

I did enter my suggestion for Marketplace conference names here. More of us should suggest it too, so that it makes it to the voting phase, at which point we can all jump in.

I haven't managed to find myself among the stars yet, but I must be there somewhere. Mostly as quoter, not quotee.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu May 09, 2013 11:23 am UTC

Lukeonia1 wrote:That said, I think Megan and Cueball's apparent lack of knowledge is deliberate. It sort of reminds me of the play/movie Rozencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. Megan and Cueball were created from nothing at the start of Time, and started out with only the rudimentary knowledge they needed to carry the plot along: how to speak, how to build sandcastles, where to get bags, and so on. Everything else they know, about the sea, the rivers, the rain, and the hills, they had to figure out for themselves since the Beginning. Except, you know, hopefully things will turn out better for Megan and Cueball than they did for R&G.

I feel it's an allegory for our own ignorance, and as Megan and Cueball explore their world and uncover piecemeal the various Truths, so are they revealed to us by the Lord Randall. This, I think, is the whole point of Time, and the reason why we are called to Wait For It.

Kind of like To Your Scattered Bodies Go? In which case they're carrying their Grails, not steamwaterbottles.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”