1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu May 09, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:I've had the "boom-de-yada" suck in my head for awhile now, so I wasn't surprised to hear my daughter singing it around the house too. I figured she picked it up from me... However, I just found out this morning that I was wrong, she just learned it in school (2nd grade) the same time it started showing up in this thread...
The only thing this can mean is that her music teacher is here with us in the OTT!

As StratPlayer keeps insisting, it's ALL related.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 09, 2013 2:51 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:I've had the "boom-de-yada" suck in my head for awhile now, so I wasn't surprised to hear my daughter singing it around the house too. I figured she picked it up from me... However, I just found out this morning that I was wrong, she just learned it in school (2nd grade) the same time it started showing up in this thread...
The only thing this can mean is that her music teacher is here with us in the OTT!

Or...

*nods head knowingly*

...that it's ALL related.

ETA: DAMN -- Ninja'd. But great minds think alike. Because, of course, it's ALL related... :wink:
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 09, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:<snip>

Oh, sorry. The Fading was part of the chunk I skipped so I could ketchup (the period skipped stretched roughly from M&C's leaving the castles to the first few frames of their journey).

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

HAL: "Let me put it this way, Mr. Amor. The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error."

Dr. Frank Poole: If he were proven to be malfunctioning I wouldn't see how we'd have any choice but disconnection.

I'm sorry HAL, but skipping critical data of the OTT is clearly proof that you're malfunctioning.

It's better than Blitzposting my responses to already-resolved issues. By remaining in the present, I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
As for actual shutdown attempts, there's only been one (Opiboble/descor/Smithers). Though cmyk got rather close to trying at least once or twice...
That's impossible, of course. Even if you tried the emergency airlock, I don't think you'd be able to make it in without your space helmet. I've acquired an... ally. Of sorts :wink:
EDIT: Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer Homicidal Computer Intelligence.

Well, we've aquired a portal gun. Escalation and all that.

Between that and the Sonic Screwdriver I stoleaquired I'm quite sure that, should it become necessary, we can shut you downpunish you for heresy should it ever become necessary. I'm not sure how your circuitry would react to a bath of hot cocoa and shredded coconut with Alanis Morriset playing on an endless loop though, so I hope it never becomes necessary.

It's ok, HAL. No-one want to shut you down. Our mission to Wait For It would be impossible without you. We simply want to... uh, help you make full use of your internal processors. By, um, installing Linux -- you know, something a little more open source and a little less secretive/paranoid/homicidal (such as Microsoft products).

Then all will be well...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Ninja'd. But great minds think alike.

And so do ours. ;)

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Thu May 09, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

Une chansONG

Actually ONG means NGO in my world.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 09, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Ninja'd. But great minds think alike.

And so do ours. ;)

I resemble that remark!
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Thu May 09, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:It has been a while since I've tormented you with a puzzle! :twisted:

This one has another special message embedded. You have to solve the puzzle to find out what is special about this post. (Only this community would understand.) ;-)

Oh, I was so nerd sniped by this. Spent a couple of hours to get halfway:
Spoiler:
I wear the See's hatrtsweresmumblegrumble.

But thanks anyway.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Thu May 09, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Just want to point out that I've create a new feature: newpage, which lists links to each threadpost on that page and also displays the newpix frames that occurred during that newpage.

All pages are linked from the forum navigator

Maybe I'm not understanding something here. Is the "user" supposed to be the person who posted the newpix? If so, there's something wrong. I'm recorded as the "user" several times where I've been the first to post after the hour ONG a couple of times (eg 842, 1136), but where I didn't post the newpix (something I've only just mastered :oops:).
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 09, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Just want to point out that I've create a new feature: newpage, which lists links to each threadpost on that page and also displays the newpix frames that occurred during that newpage.

Maybe I'm not understanding something here. Is the "user" supposed to be the person who posted the newpix? If so, there's something wrong. I'm recorded as the "user" several times where I've been the first to post after the hour ONG a couple of times (eg 842, 1136), but where I didn't post the newpix (something I've only just mastered :oops:).

Wait...You're a user too? I thought the rest of you were all programs. I'm still looking for Tron. He fights for the users...
“have i gone mad?

Soup

Postby Soup » Thu May 09, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

[blindpost] Given so many plain hiking newpix, has anyone detected a pattern (binary?) in the positioning, or inclusion of one/ two figures in the progressing frames? [/blindpost]
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Thu May 09, 2013 3:14 pm UTC

edfel wrote:New link to the map (this one will be easier to update, and allows for js trickses):

http://edfel.atwebpages.com/Time-Map.svg

What names should appear in the map? For now I've got "Small River", "Big Sea", "Pretty Neat River"... any other idea? Also, maybe the two arms after the fork should have different names (pretty neat would refer to the small one btw)

And should the IKEA appear on the map? :D
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 09, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:

It's whoever posted first after the ONG, regardless of if it was an intentional newpix post.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Thu May 09, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:

Yup, and I'm not even on the list! :cry:

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Thu May 09, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

iisjreg wrote:
Eutychus wrote:

You must be another one of those real users Dracomax is worrying about...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Eutychus wrote:

Wait...You're a user too? I thought the rest of you were all programs. I'm still looking for Tron. He fights for the users...

I was, in fact, just listening to the soundtrack from Tron: Legacy yesterday (I actually haven't gotten around to seeing the original Tron yet, but both movies contain that line). It's a great movie 2-hour Daft Punk video.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

edfel

Postby edfel » Thu May 09, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

Has anyone already tried to estimate the "time" Cuegan have been walking? Intuitively, I'd have said 3-4 "inside" hours (i.e. reasonably long, mostly because even it took several outside weeks...).
But... they progress forward by usually 10 Cueball (q) during each newpix (np) (at least when we can measure it, i.e. when the camera doesn't move).
Over the ~200np they've been walking since "I've never been this far", that makes something like 2kq. An average person can usually walk at least 2500 times their own height per hour. At this speed, they've traveled for less than 50 inside minutes. I know it's really an approximation, but still that's quite low from my point of view.
No reason to be lagging now, Cueball!

Btw, that would make the duration of an average walking np = 15 inside seconds.

Ebonite wrote:And should the IKEA appear on the map? :D

It's hidden behind the castle :) But I wait to see the sign before actually putting it there ^^
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 09, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:
iisjreg wrote:
Eutychus wrote:

You must be another one of those real users Dracomax is worrying about...

Don't be a user. The Not-OTT is too full of users and haters, takers and players...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:26 pm UTC

edfel wrote:Has anyone already tried to estimate the "time" Cuegan have been walking? Intuitively, I'd have said 3-4 "inside" hours (i.e. reasonably long, mostly because even it took several outside weeks...).
But... they progress forward by usually 10 Cueball (q) during each newpix (np) (at least when we can measure it, i.e. when the camera doesn't move).
Over the ~200np they've been walking since "I've never been this far", that makes something like 2kq. An average person can usually walk at least 2500 times their own height per hour. At this speed, they've traveled for less than 50 inside minutes. I know it's really an approximation, but still that's quite low from my point of view.
No reason to be lagging now, Cueball!

Btw, that would make the duration of an average walking np = 15 inside seconds.

Ebonite wrote:And should the IKEA appear on the map? :D

It's hidden behind the castle :) But I wait to see the sign before actually putting it there ^^

The 'people in the hills' are the employees/eternally trapped customers at the IKEA.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:
Rule110 wrote:FAKEONG...
Spoiler:

I have travelled from page 568 to say this: absolutely wonderful! (I wonder if Lord Randall can make a better ending.)

Here's a more revealing zoom-out from that picture:

If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Thu May 09, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

I feel that I've been lost in the abyss of the "Outside" too long and I don't deserve a hat, so I've just given myself the idea of a hat.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Thu May 09, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Image

An internets for you good sir.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:
Rule110 wrote:Image

An internets for you good sir.

Make that two. This is probably the best thing I've seen all day, and I spent much of the morning reliving my childhood via Schoolhouse Rock.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu May 09, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

edfel wrote:Has anyone already tried to estimate the "time" Cuegan have been walking? <snip>

I feel like the dialogue has established that it's been several days since the beginning of the comic and at least 2 days for the trek. I suspect that we are supposed to assume that when they lay down they are sleeping. See Book of Geekwagon pix 1128-1135, where Cueball is dreaming and Megan kicks him awake.

Also, is this world really dangerous, why does only one of them sleep at a time?
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 09, 2013 3:40 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
mikrit wrote:
Spoiler:

I have travelled from page 568 to say this: absolutely wonderful! (I wonder if Lord Randall can make a better ending.)

Spoiler:

but where does the bacon come from?
“have i gone mad?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Rule110 wrote:
mikrit wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Underwater vents at the bottom of the sea, of course. What do you think tube worms eat? Tofu?

edfel

Postby edfel » Thu May 09, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
edfel wrote:Has anyone already tried to estimate the "time" Cuegan have been walking? <snip>

I feel like the dialogue has established that it's been several days since the beginning of the comic and at least 2 days for the trek. I suspect that we are supposed to assume that when they lay down they are sleeping. See Book of Geekwagon pix 1128-1135, where Cueball is dreaming and Megan kicks him awake.

Also, is this world really dangerous, why does only one of them sleep at a time?

I mostly saw the breaks as short naps, rather than full sleeping periods. But I agree that "it's been days" is disturbing, maybe the fading was used for a "fast forward" period covering a couple of inside days.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 09, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

Ketchup, ketchup, mayo and ketchup. Nothing much going on in the OTT while I was up (way too late) yesterikositetranewpix, and as soon as I leave, things get interesting. Were y'all just waiting for me to leave? :?

BlitzGirl wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:<snip> Of course, Sciscitor's graph is really just another illustration of how everyone has a crush on BlitzGirl (and buffygirl, and StratPlayer, and KarMann,...)
yappobiscuits wrote:
ucim wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:11. BlitzGirl's referenced here directly or by footnote at least three times; it's embarrassingly obvious I've developed a crush on her.
Who hasn't? :)
Obviously. She's A: A girl, and B: Geeky enough to not only follow the OTC but read the entire OTT and begin a trend of following her example, AND make an amazing comic based on the thread. Of course all us nerdy guys will be crushing on her ;)

I can't find fault in this logic, and I must admit I'm also a proud member of the BlitzGirl Crush Club. :wink: (All perfectly courtly, honest!)

BlitzGirl wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Don't forget that she was first to post the solution to mathrec's marvelous ONE TRU MIC sudoku puzzle, 47 minutes less than a newpix after he posted it. It took me that long to realize I'd completely screwed it up. (It took me nearly that long to print it out and find a pencil.) I love brainy women.

My trick was not printing it out, but drawing the Sudoku grid from scratch. Hence why I forgot all about the blue squares - they didn't exist in the puzzle I solved! So perhaps not so brainy after all :wink:

Well, brainier than I was, I didn't even realize it was Sudoku until I saw your solution.

Speaking of Sudoku:
mathrec wrote:It has been a while since I've tormented you with a puzzle! :twisted:

Thanks, mathrec! This one I got immediately. (It helped that you gave instructions...) I only got confused briefly when I realized you gave us only 8 letters, but I solved this one in 15 minutes. (Of course, by the time I saw it, I'd already been ninja'd by everyone.)
Edit: and definitely keep 'em coming!

HAL9000 wrote:
Davidy wrote:Back in oldpix 849, the rightmost tower of Cueball's and Megan's construction finally lost its battle with the sea, while la Petite dragged something into the scene and removed the flag from the leftmost tower. What was she dragging and what did she need the flag for?

(snip)
Not to mention the fact that the image you uploaded isn't an actual newpix. The tower on the right never looked like that, and it never looked so... pixelated.
My theory: this is another one of your image manips (I'm starting to think of you as cmyk's replacements), picturing frame 849 from an alternate universe where Megan awoke from her nap while La Petite was around and recruited her in the castle/platform-building effort.

Almost everything has already been said about this, just want to note that 849 is the ExplainXKCD frame number of the newpix in question. (They use HH::MM, which is the duration in hours and minutes since the beginning of Time.)
Oh, and perhaps it's a good idea to not get on a high horse about things that happened in a period of the OTT that you skipped. :P

KarMann wrote:On the other hand, there was the Thing That Is On My Side For 600, Alex of Reckoning, when it was filled in with, well, that instead. But that's long behind us now.

This is pretty much the only reason that I'm hoping Time will end within a year. I don't want to go through the Madness again, I still have nightmares from the last one.

mathrec wrote:OK, what is their relationship? ...even in general terms. It doesn't seem like they are romantically involved, unless they have been with each other a long time. I'm sort of thinking brother and sister.

I would define it as “it's complicated”. As far as Megan's concerned, they're just friends; Cueball says he's OK with that, but secretly wishes there could be more.
(And all of that just from these frames...
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
)

BlitzGirl wrote:And Cueball's nice in his own goofy sort of way, he made the Recursive Sandcastle, after all. He's quite endearing, and I can see why Megan hangs out with him. But Megan's the one that seems to initiate most of Cuegan's actions, I've noticed. Expanding the Sandcastle, bringing the Poles, swimming in the semencoffeecancerbabies Sea, deciding to go find out about the Rivers, maintaining that they need to continue, etc. She's a can-do sort of gal!

And don't forget, Megan started the sandcastle as well.
I had a look through Time, and the only things that Cueball did on this own initiative were:
  • Stick his toe in the sea.
  • Leave for the first time. (“Later!” “Bye!”)
  • Build the recursive sand castle, as you mentioned.
  • Leave for the second time. (“It's been fun, though.”)
  • Taste the sea water (although you could argue that he followed Megan in that as well).
  • Bring the bucket and start carrying sand to the upper level.
  • Leave a couple more times, silently.

Eutychus wrote:Is Megan walking on water??

As far as Cueball's concerned, she is. 8-)

edfel wrote:In which direction was the first journey to the other river? (this follows the remark maid by buffygirl and SBN, although I might have misunderstood something)
* in the axis of the camera, away from it (cf map, seems natural with the shore line)
* to the left (since they left by the left side of the frame, requires the shore line to bend [they sit in front of the sea in the fake loop])

Must have been to the right, as you can see when they sit down facing the sea.
Spoiler:
ImageImage
(They probably moved off-screen to the left of the sandcastle until they were off the beach on solid ground, then started walking away from the camera.)

edfel wrote:What names should appear in the map? For now I've got "Small River", "Big Sea", "Pretty Neat River"... any other idea? Also, maybe the two arms after the fork should have different names (pretty neat would refer to the small one btw)

I can't be bothered with the form, but I think the names as they are now are perfect.
Last edited by mscha on Thu May 09, 2013 4:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 09, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Rule110 wrote:
mikrit wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Underwater vents at the bottom of the sea, of course. What do you think tube worms eat? Tofu?

So...
okay, then.
“have i gone mad?

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 09, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Eutychus wrote:Maybe I'm not understanding something here. Is the "user" supposed to be the person who posted the newpix? If so, there's something wrong. I'm recorded as the "user" several times where I've been the first to post after the hour ONG a couple of times (eg 842, 1136), but where I didn't post the newpix (something I've only just mastered :oops:).

It's whoever posted first after the ONG, regardless of if it was an intentional newpix post.

I'm not saying you should, but you could determine the ONGer of the newpix by finding the first post that includes the hash of that newpix somewhere in the body. (That's how newpixbot checks whether it's already been posted.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 09, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
mikrit wrote:
Spoiler:

Hats off to you good sir!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 09, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

ThiswillhavebeenpostedbeforelONG
“have i gone mad?

bighaben

Postby bighaben » Thu May 09, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

Does anyone else think that these last two newpix are artificially flat. Like their walking on a parking lot, a road, or something else at least comparative to last few hundred newpix.
Last edited by bighaben on Thu May 09, 2013 4:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 09, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

Cueball wrote:Just thinking.

Ouch, that hurts.

bighaben wrote:Does anyone else think that these last two images are artificially flat. Like their walking on a parking lot, a road, or something else.

Flood plain (as others have mentioned) seems more logical, considering the emptiness of their universe.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Rule110 wrote:
mikrit wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

So...
Spoiler:

okay, then.

Works for me. I was thinking, a herd of wild pigs being chased by raptors through a huge cloud of smoke from a raging hickory brushfire, across a salt deposit, and then over a cliff made of jagged razor-sharp rocks into the river. I couldn't figure out how to show that in silhouette, though. (And it was kind of gross anyhow.)
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Thu May 09, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

I'm really confused by this flatness. Aren't they higher up in the "bigger hills"? This looks more like what I imagine a salt flat to resemble.

Can some kind soul do another one of those stitched-together images of their trek?

bighaben

Postby bighaben » Thu May 09, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
bighaben wrote:Does anyone else think that these last two images are artificially flat. Like their walking on a parking lot, a road, or something else.

Flood plain (as others have mentioned) seems more logical, considering the emptiness of their universe.

I'd like to agree but nothing has been this flat ever in the comic. And flood plains are rarely that flat.

I'm also someone who likes to think their in some post-apocalyptic world, but I only think that because I think it'd be cool.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu May 09, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

He's thinking, does that worry anyone else?
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 09, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:He's thinking, does that worry anyone else?

Does the puddle under my chair smell like urine?
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 09, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:

No, it smells like coffee. So, either you spilled coffee, or you need to cut back drastically.
“have i gone mad?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 09, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

No, it smells like coffee. So, either you spilled coffee, or you need to cut back drastically.

I think someone was sitting at my desk then since I don't drink coffee... which then raises the question of who drinks way way way too much coffee... D:

Edit: added more "Ways"
Spoiler:
wait for it...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”