1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kieryn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 09, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

wrONG

Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu May 09, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:Ever seen the salt flats, at least in OutsidePix?
Damn, ninjaed by Eutychus, and several agreers. That's what I get for comaing.

This would, again, feed the Dead Sea theory. Thanks to Eliram this theory is still in.

Hum. They would travel North, forward to the lake of Gennesaret (sometimes called Sea of Galilee... yet another Sea...).
Of course, about 150 km are a bit much for ol'Cueball. What's the next eyecatcher they would meet? It looks like they would be travelling the West bank...

By the way: Buffygirl, do you accept implorations for being hatted, again? *shift uncomfortably*
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

descor

Postby descor » Thu May 09, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:wrONG
Spoiler:

Hey, that's not right - your prediction about your prediction being wrong was right. Something is wrong.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu May 09, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:So hum, seeing as it looks like we'll be here a while, anyone got any plans for these yet? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solar_eclipses_in_the_30th_century

What, and miss a NewPix?!? :shock:
I have been looking forward to 2017 for quite some time now. I did see the partial about a year ago, easily.

Added: I am, in general, a big ol' astronomy geek, so, yeah.
Added²: Oh! Just finally noticed that's a '3' in the century number, not a '2'. Makes quite a difference, but makes my "miss a NewPix" comment even funnier, IMNSHO.
Last edited by KarMann on Thu May 09, 2013 7:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 09, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

descor wrote:
Spoiler:

Hey, that's not right - your prediction about your prediction being wrong was right. Something is wrong.

I figured that's the only way I will ever get another right prediction.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

descor

Postby descor » Thu May 09, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
descor wrote:
Spoiler:

It would have been funnier if the prediction you thought was wrong actually was right. Then you'd be wrong about being wrong. That just feels right.

KarMann wrote:
Kieryn wrote:So hum, seeing as it looks like we'll be here a while, anyone got any plans for these yet? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solar_eclipses_in_the_30th_century

I have been looking forward to 2017 for quite some time now. I did see the partial about a year ago, easily.

I'll have to live till I'm 102 until there's another one where I live. The last was in 1999!

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 09, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
descor wrote:
Spoiler:

*cough* Well, according to the NewPix subsequently displayed, they said...

Spoiler:
...nothing.

So, technically since you didn't qualify your prediction with the disclaimer, "at some point in the far, distant future of Time", your prediction implied the 'next' NewPix, and as such, was...

Spoiler:
...wrong.

...just saying'. :wink:
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 09, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
peewee_RotA wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
Rule110 wrote:
mikrit wrote:
Rule110 wrote:FAKEONG...

I have travelled from page 568 to say this: absolutely wonderful! (I wonder if Lord Randall can make a better ending.)

Here's a more revealing zoom-out from that picture:

I literally LOLed at this. Thanks. . .this made my afternoon! :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Damn -- work's filtering this one out. All I see is the word "image". Until I get home, I'll just have to Wait for It...

Maybe if it's hosted by something other than photobukkit? Try this:
Spoiler:

LOL brilliant.

Thanks! Yes, I can now see that, and I must agree with your assessment: LOL, Brilliant, indeed!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 09, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:

Added²: Oh! Just finally noticed that's a '3' in the century number, not a '2'. Makes quite a difference, but makes my "miss a NewPix" comment even funnier, IMNSHO.

I remember seeing one in Minnesota as a lad, partial, I think; and a full one in Bozeman, Montana. I used all (the one roll) of my film leading up to it. And then stood there like a fool with a short telephoto hanging around my neck during the main event. wow And for all those who use "awesome" to describe a hamburger, a total solar is the one of the best definitions of "awesome" ever.....

edit spell describe correctly :oops:
Last edited by pelrigg on Thu May 09, 2013 7:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

Help! I'm trapped by Outside forces. Must..try...to return to forum...NewPage numbers getting bigger...Ahhhhh! Outside is too strong, pulling me away...don't forget me! I'll be back!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 09, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
KarMann wrote:

I remember seeing one in Minnesota as a lad, partial, I think; and a full one in Bozeman, Montana. I used all (the one roll) of my film leading up to it. And then stood there like a fool with a short telephoto hanging around my neck during the main event. wow And for all those who use "awesome" to descried a hamburger, a total solar is the one of the best definitions of "awesome" ever.....

My problem is I live to far north to ever see one :/ The one downside of living in Alaska.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Thu May 09, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Selcouth wrote:
Eliram wrote:-snip-

As an mild arachnophobe, I'm implanting a hair-trigger Page Down reflex at the sight of your username into my brain.

Man you would hate to come over to my house, then! In addition to being the cupcake girl.. I am also the spider lady. :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, this is true. I'll.... just stay away from your whole neighborhood.

pelrigg wrote:
KarMann wrote:

I remember seeing one in Minnesota as a lad, partial, I think; and a full one in Bozeman, Montana. I used all (the one roll) of my film leading up to it. And then stood there like a fool with a short telephoto hanging around my neck during the main event. wow And for all those who use "awesome" to descried a hamburger, a total solar is the one of the best definitions of "awesome" ever.....

Read that too fast and saw "a total solar is the best hamburger ever."
....I still agree.

also hiya fellow astronomy geeks I AM ONE OF YOU

Hmm. Can I be a Knight? Or, actually, I'm trying to think of a special title but failing. I haven't become known for anything on here yet.
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Thu May 09, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
KarMann wrote:

I remember seeing one in Minnesota as a lad, partial, I think; and a full one in Bozeman, Montana. I used all (the one roll) of my film leading up to it. And then stood there like a fool with a short telephoto hanging around my neck during the main event. wow And for all those who use "awesome" to describe a hamburger, a total solar is the one of the best definitions of "awesome" ever.....

The Minnesota one, early '78, maybe? Or the summer of '94? I was in Wisconsin for both of those. Hmm, might have been '79, I'll have to check that.

Added: Feb. 26, 1979 is what I meant. The other was May 10, 1994.
Last edited by KarMann on Thu May 09, 2013 7:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu May 09, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

Somewhat about newpix 7'779'980 ... no, no plans, yet. Meet?
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

descor

Postby descor » Thu May 09, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:KetchupWall
<snip>
descor wrote:To whom do I submit my application to join the Outsider Relations Department?
I submit these 1, 2, as my CV and can provide references1 on request.

I don't see how those are related to the ORDer.
You could, however, join DADdy (Data Analysis Department).
<snip>

I would be honoured, but the thought of joining with the formidable crew of that department is a little scary ...
(I mean Kieryn, Sciscitor, Latent22 and cmyk ... how am I supposed to pretend to even be in the same league as those guys?)

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 09, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
KarMann wrote:

The Minnesota one, early '78, maybe? Or the summer of '94? I was in Wisconsin for both of those. Hmm, might have been '79, I'll have to check that.

Yes. May 10, 1994. I remember it well. I was living in the Detroit area, and because I'd gotten out of work late, I happened to still be driving as the eclipse was occurring, and got stuck in traffic behind an accident which occurred at an intersection because people were watching the eclipse instead of focusing on the road.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 09, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
pelrigg wrote:

Actually I'm older than that. I think it was the partial of Sept. 1960 that went through the middle of the US.
I was just on "Five Millennium (-1999 to +3000) Canon of Solar Eclipses Database" (http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/so ... Canon.html)
and that's the best fit.
Edit
And the Montana one was Feb 26, 1979.
Last edited by pelrigg on Thu May 09, 2013 7:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

fatness

Postby fatness » Thu May 09, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Yes. May 10, 1994. I remember it well. I was living in the Detroit area, and because I'd gotten out of work late, I happened to still be driving as the eclipse was occurring, and got stuck in traffic behind an accident which occurred at an intersection because people were watching the eclipse instead of focusing on the road.
Spent most of the day projecting that eclipse on my office wall using a mirror and a pinhole...didn't get much of anything else done. 8-)

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 09, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
KarMann wrote:The Minnesota one, early '78, maybe? Or the summer of '94? I was in Wisconsin for both of those. Hmm, might have been '79, I'll have to check that.

Yes. May 10, 1994. I remember it well. I was living in the Detroit area, and because I'd gotten out of work late, I happened to still be driving as the eclipse was occurring, and got stuck in traffic behind an accident which occurred at an intersection because people were watching the eclipse instead of focusing on the road.

I got to watch clouds get dark Feb. 26, 1979, Pullman, WA. I was a poor college kid, that was as far as I could afford to go. Even without seeing the sun at all, there is something very emotional about darkness when it isn't supposed to be there. Now I'm a poor college parent, so I still can't afford to go see eclipses, but maybe someday.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Rule110 wrote:
mikrit wrote:

I have travelled from page 568 to say this: absolutely wonderful! (I wonder if Lord Randall can make a better ending.)

but where does the bacon come from?

Underwater vents at the bottom of the sea, of course. What do you think tube worms eat? Tofu?

So...
okay, then.

This is one of my favorite image manips for a while. After all, it explains how the sea is made of so many different things.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Thu May 09, 2013 7:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 09, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

Selcouth wrote:Hmm. Can I be a Knight? Or, actually, I'm trying to think of a special title but failing. I haven't become known for anything on here yet.

Of course. Not doing anything is one of the main tenets of the Knights Temporal, so you should fit in quite nicely.

Kneel, oh Knight-to-be...

*taps on shoulders with Great Sword of +1 Awesomeness*

I, Sir Vincent, Lord Of Nominal Goodness, Defender Of Newpix Glory1 do hereby knight thee and welcome thee into the Knights Temporal. From this day forward, let it be hailed throughout the lands of TIme that you, Selcouth, are now a loyal Knight Temporal, and shall be known henceforth as Sir/Dame <insert your chosen name here>!

*gives token for knightly loot -- to be claimed at nearby knight concession stand*

Arise good knight! There is much nothing to be done, so let us be away to promptly not do that which does not need doing!

*sits back in cozy chair to Wait for It*

1 aka Sir Vinnie LONGDONG
Last edited by StratPlayer on Thu May 09, 2013 7:56 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 09, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

Lyoug wrote:This is partly because my numbers are colored (synesthesia anyone?)
My only experience with synesthesia: In a prior year I had sung [some piece I can no longer recall the title of] in choir. It was one of many pieces, nothing special as goes the rest of the repetoire. The following year I was in a monestary in Italy where the cubicles each had a painting on the wall, many of which were very similar and not very inspring (Jesus on the cross, gushing blood from the abdomen in a stylistic manner). There were so many of them that it seems they were the output of a beginning painting class or something. But a few of them were different, of them a few were quite good.

In any case, one of them42 was identical to that song I had sung. Not "evocative", in the sense that the Pastoral Symphony (of Beethoven) is evocative of a spring day, not "descriptive" in the sense that the words and music described the scene. Not "linked" in the sense that I may have seen the picture while listening to that piece some time ago. No, identical, despite their being different media, different subjects, and different contexts. They were the same thing. It was the weirdest feeling - and it was not a fleeting moment either. I had never felt that kind of thing before, and never have since.

At the time, I did not know there was a word for it. I've since learned that it's not unheard of, though it is not all that common. It cannot be described; you just have to experience it to understand it.

Jose
42It might have been several, or the entire set. I don't remember well.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 09, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
KarMann wrote:The Minnesota one, early '78, maybe? Or the summer of '94? I was in Wisconsin for both of those. Hmm, might have been '79, I'll have to check that.

I got to watch clouds get dark Feb. 26, 1979, Pullman, WA. I was a poor college kid, that was as far as I could afford to go. Even without seeing the sun at all, there is something very emotional about darkness when it isn't supposed to be there. Now I'm a poor college parent, so I still can't afford to go see eclipses, but maybe someday.

I was a poor college student, too, hence the one roll of film, however it went right over us. It was cloudy during the first contact; then the clouds separated just before totality. Drama on top of it all. (Most profs let their classes out for the day; but I heard that others not only had class but also had tests that day :shock: )
Last edited by pelrigg on Thu May 09, 2013 7:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 09, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Rule110 wrote:
mikrit wrote:

but where does the bacon come from?

Underwater vents at the bottom of the sea, of course. What do you think tube worms eat? Tofu?

So...
okay, then.

This is one of my favorite image manips for a while. After all, it explains how the sea is made of so many different things.

Dang, the sea has bacon? That would explain why Cueball said he had tasted better, it was salty bacon!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu May 09, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

And they're exiting flatland:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 09, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
SBN wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

I was a poor college student, too, hence the one roll of film, however it went right over us. It was cloudy during the first contact; then the clouds separated just before totality. Drama on top of it all. (Most profs let their classes out for the day; but I heard that others not only had class but also had tests that day :shock: )

I missed a Chem exam to go see it, but it was okay as my prof. did too. (Only he flew to Winnipeg, so he actually saw it.) Where I lived/went to school we had sunshine, and a partial eclipse. so most classes went on normally, probably with most people not even noticing it.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu May 09, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

slinches wrote:And they're exiting flatland:

Though we may never know it's true salty nature, the upcoming topography, I think, does suggest a salty flat expanse having been crossed. What has happened to our holy cartographers? Do we have a graphical representation of their journey thus far? It appears some of us still believe that they travel parallel to the river but perhaps they have long since journeyed in a perpendicular manner? Hence all the flat dryness?

...these pretzels are making me thirsty.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mishka

Postby mishka » Thu May 09, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

Techincally, 1190 is composed of more comic strips then the resto f Xkcd combined.

mishka

Postby mishka » Thu May 09, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

Techincally, 1190 is composed of more comic strips then the resto f Xkcd combined.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 09, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

And unless they talk about what they traversed, we (the Waiters) will never really know if it was flood-plain, dry river-bed, or other. Just another mystery of "The Journey".
To add to: "Why do they talk so funny", "How long have they been traveling", "Do they know LaPetite", and "Will the Wait be worth it"1

1and I bet I get beat on for that last one*sigh*

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Thu May 09, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:

And unless they talk about what they traversed, we (the Waiters) will never really know if it was flood-plain, dry river-bed, or other. Just another mystery of "The Journey".
To add to: "Why do they talk so funny", "How long have they been traveling", "Do they know LaPetite", and "Will the Wait be worth it"1

Or, will It be worth the wait? Time will tell.

Some Ways to Time

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu May 09, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:<snip> "Will the Wait be worth it"1

Fear not, for with faith there is always doubt. I shan't insist on flogging you now for giving in to expressing the prospect that this might all be for naught. Remain steadfast and Wait for it1.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
1It damn well better be worth it.
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Thu May 09, 2013 8:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Thu May 09, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

On 11th August 1999, there was a total eclipse visible from Europe. My friend Poly and I found a flight which was gong from London to Luxembourg where there was totality, giving time to watch it and then returning a few hours later. As we arrived they announced there were two layers of cloud cover and no visibility, they rapidly arranged a new flight plan, took off without any passengers disembarking, they got permission to do a few turns over Germany so that we all got to see it from the air. We were back in time for lunch.

descor

Postby descor » Thu May 09, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

Eoink wrote:On 11th August 1999, there was a total eclipse visible from Europe. My friend Poly and I found a flight which was gong from London to Luxembourg where there was totality, giving time to watch it and then returning a few hours later. As we arrived they announced there were two layers of cloud cover and no visibility, they rapidly arranged a new flight plan, took off without any passengers disembarking, they got permission to do a few turns over Germany so that we all got to see it from the air. We were back in time for lunch.

Wow that must have been amazing! I was watching it from North Cornwall where there was dense cloud cover right up until the totality. Almost as soon as it went dark the clouds parted and we saw the whole thing. I'll never forget it, even if I was a pipsqueak at the time.

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

Montov

Postby Montov » Thu May 09, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

Maybe flatland was the ford they were looking for.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 09, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

Could it have been a bridge?

pelrigg wrote:... and "Will the Wait be worth it"1

I was about to ask if that was a statement raised to the -1 power, but then when I quoted it into the response box, I saw that the minus sign was just a close quote.

Nerd-sniped.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu May 09, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
slinches wrote:<snip> "Will the Wait be worth it"1

Fear not for with faith there is always doubt. I shan't insist on flogging you know for giving in to the prospect that this might all be for naught. Remain steadfast and Wait for it1.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
1It damn well better be worth it.

Ah, good sir, be assured that I was merely repeating some of the "Questions" I have heard in passing?, since that was a good time to bring up the most immediate quandary which had most recently perplexed us.

Edit
does this mean I qualify for a hat?
? no Sir Inquisitor, I do not remember any names. No, not the comfy chair and the chocolate.......
Last edited by pelrigg on Thu May 09, 2013 8:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 09, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Could it have been a bridge?

pelrigg wrote:... and "Will the Wait be worth it"1

I was about to ask if that was a statement raised to the -1 power, but then when I quoted it into the response box, I saw that the minus sign was just a close quote.

Nerd-sniped.

Jose

I think Lord Randall would have shown us the epicenes of the size of the bridge if it was a bridge.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 09, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:I think Lord Randall would have shown us the epicenes of the size of the bridge if it was a bridge.
If it were a bridge, he may yet. We'll just have to...
Spoiler:

Jose

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Thu May 09, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

Today I realized that, at some point in the past week or so, I stopped going out and looking at the original link that I usually followed to view newpix. Instead, I just automatically come to this thread and start catching up from where I left off. All of the newpix are posted here (often multiple times), so there's no need to go out to the web to look for them anywhere else. If I always just catch up, I'll pick up any newpix I may have missed chronologically.

Now, if I can just get you guys to start talking about all of the other things of interest to me (TV shows I watch, daily news reports, etc.) I may find that I never need to leave this forum at all. :D
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”