1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Wildhound

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Wildhound » Fri May 10, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

Did anyone else find newpix 1190 of comic 1190 most underwhelming?

Edit: I say this because it is the last time we can reasonably expect that there will be a frame n in a strip, where n is also the number of the strip.

In fact, it is quite possibly the only time this has happened apart from n=1.
Last edited by Wildhound on Fri May 10, 2013 5:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 10, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:Edit: just an accidental duplication by our Fallible Lord. On this one, they're where you'd expect them to be a newpix ago.

Heresy!!! Of course it was intended! The GLR MUST have had some divine purpose for repeating the same image at precisely that Newpix. There may be special meaning in the fact that Megan and Cueball are about to crest the hill.

OK, bring on the chocolate...

I got a 35lb box of M&M's that have hit there best by date, will that work?
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 10, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Heresy!!! Of course it was intended! The GLR MUST have had some divine purpose for repeating the same image at precisely that Newpix. There may be special meaning in the fact that Megan and Cueball are about to crest the hill.

Just because our imperfect human reasoning cannot grasp the purpose does not mean it was unintended or accidental. Regrettably, I lack the enlightenment necessary to fully understand the divine purpose behind why the GLR chose this moment in Time for a duplication, but since it clearly cannot be accidental, the only hypothesis my meager mind can manage is...

Spoiler:
Lord Randall is fucking with us once again.

Or the duplication was heretical, like the mustard.

Why am I always a-coma when Chaos erupts on the OTT? :roll:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 10, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:THISONGISOK
Spoiler:

Edit: just an accidental duplication by our Fallible Lord. On this one, they're where you'd expect them to be a newpix ago.

Heresy!!! Of course it was intended! The GLR MUST have had some divine purpose for repeating the same image at precisely that Newpix. There may be special meaning in the fact that Megan and Cueball are about to crest the hill.

Just because our imperfect human reasoning cannot grasp the purpose does not mean it was unintended or accidental. Regrettably, I lack the enlightenment necessary to fully understand the divine purpose behind why the GLR chose this moment in Time for a duplication, but since it clearly cannot be accidental, the only hypothesis my meager mind can manage is...

Spoiler:

Here Here! Those of us who are devote trust in the Creator of Time, GLR, and question not what we do not understand (except in so far as to ask what the hell is going on). Is it not for us to question the Creator's will (but perfectly reasonable to want to know what is going on without needing to understand why it is going on).

Any such other thinking is heresy!! And must be punished. But fear not, for as a devote believer I shall willingly suffer for your sinful thoughts...

Can I go sit in the big comfy chair whilst the Inquisitor force Dark Chocolate unto me?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 10, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:Heresy!!! Of course it was intended! The GLR MUST have had some divine purpose for repeating the same image at precisely that Newpix. There may be special meaning in the fact that Megan and Cueball are about to crest the hill.

Or the duplication was heretical, like the mustard.

Why am I always a-coma when Chaos erupts on the OTT? :roll:

You must a-coma a-LOT! This thread is the "Chaos-all-the-Time!" channel on xkcdvision.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 10, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:THISONGISOK
Spoiler:

Edit: just an accidental duplication by our Fallible Lord. On this one, they're where you'd expect them to be a newpix ago.

Spoiler:

Here Here! Those of us who are devote trust in the Creator of Time, GLR, and question not what we do not understand (except in so far as to ask what the hell is going on). Is it not for us to question the Creator's will (but perfectly reasonable to want to know what is going on without needing to understand why it is going on).

Any such other thinking is heresy!! And must be punished. But fear not, for as a devote believer I shall willingly suffer for your sinful thoughts...

Can I go sit in the big comfy chair whilst the Inquisitor force Dark Chocolate unto me?

Okay, you can be coated in hot, dark chocolate and then pelted with expired M&Ms for the other poster's heresy. we aim to please here. just not well.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 10, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Why am I always a-coma when Chaos erupts on the OTT? :roll:

You must a-coma a-LOT! This thread is the "Chaos-all-the-Time!" channel on xkcdvision.

This is true, though I would argue that there is the normal chaos of the OTT, and then there is the Chaos that happens due to technical difficulties, if that makes sense. And I always seem to be away for the latter. :?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 10, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

This is true, though I would argue that there is the normal chaos of the OTT, and then there is the Chaos that happens due to technical difficulties, if that makes sense. And I always seem to be away for the latter. :?

Wasn't that fun though, there was 20min there that I couldn't access the OTT, that was scary.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 10, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

The solution seems clear to me: no more coma for you, your Blitziness... :)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 10, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

How much cancerbabybaconcaffeine will we need to keep her awake forever?
“have i gone mad?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 10, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Why in the world would you ever want to feed someone the strange dirt like substance called Cancerbabybaconcaffeine? People walk on it. BLEGH!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 10, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Ah. Yes, that does make sense -- degrees of chaosity.

Although... "I always seem to be away for the latter."

Uhhh... You mean like this?

Spoiler:
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 10, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:

Okay, you can be coated in hot, dark chocolate and then pelted with expired M&Ms for the other poster's heresy. we aim to please here. just not well.

The truly devote must always be willing to suffer for their faith. Just give me a sec whilst I go find my goggles. As your aim, as you claim, is not very good I'd want very much to avoid unnecessary ocular damage from stray M&Ms. Woe be unto me if I were unable to continue to view the OTC and continue to wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

Damn voices.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri May 10, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Any spies and/or minions of our Lord Randall present to inform Him of his fallibility?

Fallible? Do you know something GLR does not?
How could it be other than it is?
Heresy.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 10, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:

The truly devote must always be willing to suffer for their faith. Just give me a sec whilst I go find my goggles. As your aim, as you claim, is not very good I'd want very much to avoid unnecessary ocular damage from stray M&Ms. Woe be unto me if I were unable to continue to view the OTC and continue to wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

Damn voices.

What do the voices say unto you?

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 10, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Heresy!!! Of course it was intended! The GLR MUST have had some divine purpose for repeating the same image at precisely that Newpix. There may be special meaning in the fact that Megan and Cueball are about to crest the hill...
These are moments that test our faith, but faith must not be blind. While what the OTA speaks is always Truth, we don't always truly hear what the OTA speaks, because we are fallible, and our communion with the OTA is, by its nature, incomplete. We cannot be one with the mind of the OTA.

So verily I say unto thee, where there is lacuna, do not substitute dogma, for therein is the illusion of fulfillment where none be truly had, and the temptation to take the Bully Pulpit premature. Enlightenment shall come, at the proper Time, in its own time.

We can only do best by following the Great Commandment1.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 10, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Why in the world would you ever want to feed someone the strange dirt like substance called Cancerbabybaconcaffeine? People walk on it. BLEGH!

How else are we going to get enough Wake-up stuff into Her to keep her from ever allowing forum problems from happening again through coma?
“have i gone mad?

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri May 10, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

QUONG

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 10, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:

They say...and you're really not going to believe this part, for many think me mad (at least my coworkers have been worrying about me lately). But it's really incredible. They say...are you ready for this? Because this is really going to blow your mind.

The voices say unto me, they say, "Wait for it."

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Fri May 10, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

She's thinking about the amoebacancerbabyONG
Spoiler:

edit: ninja'd
Last edited by airdrik on Fri May 10, 2013 6:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri May 10, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

I'm really worried Megan is indeed doing a Lot's wife.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 10, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

ucim wrote:

Jose

Was there supposed to be a footnote here?
“have i gone mad?

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Fri May 10, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
ucim wrote:

Jose

1 you mean this one?

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 10, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
ucim wrote:

Jose

It will be revealed, in its own time. In the meanwhile, we must follow the Great Commandment1.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri May 10, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

ucim wrote:

Jose

(Footnote numbers without a footnote are rather like unclosed parenthesis.

Edit: Oh, whew, airdrik fixed it. Much better.

Edit2: Noo!

2 What, you thought this was a footnote?

bighaben

Postby bighaben » Fri May 10, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

Clearly Meagan, in her infinite foresight, is concerned about the stability of the dune, yet shows enough restraint to willingly allow her partner to succumb to his predestined rejoining of the ground, with his head, at the bottom of the dune.1

1For the lols.
Last edited by bighaben on Fri May 10, 2013 6:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 10, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

They say...and you're really not going to believe this part, for many think me mad (at least my coworkers have been worrying about me lately). But it's really incredible. They say...are you ready for this? Because this is really going to blow your mind.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

Interesting, very interesting... And do you repeat what they say out loud? If so this might explain the strange looks from your coworkers.

Dracomax wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

How else are we going to get enough Wake-up stuff into Her to keep her from ever allowing forum problems from happening again through coma?

Old M&M's, duuuh.
Last edited by Opiboble on Fri May 10, 2013 6:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 10, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:
ucim wrote:

Jose

(Footnote numbers without a footnote are rather like unclosed parenthesis.

Edit: Oh, whew, airdrik fixed it. Much better.

Edit2: Noo!

2 What, you thought this was a footnote?

No, I just thought you were squaring your edit.
“have i gone mad?

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 10, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
ucim wrote:

Jose

Remember this is from the same fella who said:
ucim wrote:
Opiboble wrote:I think Lord Randall would have shown us the epicenes of the size of the bridge if it was a bridge.
If it were a bridge, he may yet. We'll just have to...
Spoiler:

Jose
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

Alright, as promised here is the composite updated to the newpix.
riverwalk-1239.png

Meagan has finally been able to see through the JavaScript, and everything makes sense now.

EDIT: I messed up my original composite (missing a few frames), thus this one is inaccurate as well.
Last edited by Copernicium112 on Fri May 10, 2013 8:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Crescat tempus; vita excolatur

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 10, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:This is true, though I would argue that there is the normal chaos of the OTT, and then there is the Chaos that happens due to technical difficulties, if that makes sense. And I always seem to be away for the latter. :?

Oh dear. Perhaps imbibing normal caffeine would do the trick?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 10, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
ucim wrote:

Jose

ucim wrote:
Opiboble wrote:I think Lord Randall would have shown us the epicenes of the size of the bridge if it was a bridge.
Spoiler:

Jose

Is ucim bringing out everyone's OCD again???

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 10, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
ucim wrote:

Jose

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:

Jose

I was just trying to determine if he was just taking it to the first power, or footnoting.
@ Blitzgirl: Normal Caffeine? What is that?
“have i gone mad?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 10, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:@ Blitzgirl: Normal Caffeine? What is that?

I'm not sure, but I believe it's something like semencoffeecancerbabiesonice minus the semencancerbabiesonice.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 10, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

I'm not sure, but I believe it's something like semencoffeecancerbabiesonice minus the semencancerbabiesonice.

Can we Do that? It's unheard of!
“have i gone mad?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 10, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

Interesting, how do you extract out the semencancerbabiesonice? They keep catching fire when I try :/

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 10, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

bighaben wrote:Clearly Meagan, in her infinite foresight, is concerned about the stability of the dune, yet shows enough restraint to willingly allow her partner to succumb to his predestined rejoining of the ground, with his head, at the bottom of the dune.1

1For the lols.

Huh...

I was just thinking that this Newpix has Megan, with a slight smile, her eyelids fluttering, bending her neck so she is able to watch Cueball go down in front of her.

But maybe our minds just think differently.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 10, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Interesting, very interesting... And do you repeat what they say out loud? If so this might explain the strange looks from your coworkers.

Oh, um...I...I don't know. Maybe? I...I think I might, when brewing a new pot of coffee in the break room. See, if I leave then it'll be gone when I get back so whilst its brewing I stand there and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 10, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
bighaben wrote:Clearly Meagan, in her infinite foresight, is concerned about the stability of the dune, yet shows enough restraint to willingly allow her partner to succumb to his predestined rejoining of the ground, with his head, at the bottom of the dune.1

1For the lols.

Huh...

I was just thinking that this Newpix has Megan, with a slight smile, her eyelids fluttering, bending her neck so she is able to watch Cueball go down in front of her.

Awww...that's so sweet.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 10, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Interesting, how do you extract out the semencancerbabiesonice? They keep catching fire when I try :/

I believe the Outside place "Starbucks" has a secret method for this.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”