1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

descor

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby descor » Sat May 11, 2013 7:14 am UTC

ggh wrote:What does it take to be among the "Users browsing this forum"? Do you have to refresh or something periodically? What does it mean when a name is always on the list? Malfunctioning computer? Moderator account? Data scraping?

I also wonder about the unfamiliar names who say nothing.... Lurking I get, but is there a reason to sign in to lurk? What if they're spies from our bosses, or worse, facebook?

If it helps, you are among the list of currently browsing users for me!
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 11, 2013 7:34 am UTC

ggh wrote:What does it take to be among the "Users browsing this forum"? Do you have to refresh or something periodically? What does it mean when a name is always on the list? Malfunctioning computer? Moderator account? Data scraping?

I also wonder about the unfamiliar names who say nothing.... Lurking I get, but is there a reason to sign in to lurk? What if they're spies from our bosses, or worse, facebook?

If you go and click on "User control panel" or on any user's profile, you'll see something like this:

Last visited:
Sat May 11, 2013 12:18 am UTC

The list at the bottom shows all users whose "last visited" time is within the last X minutes, usually 5-15 (depending on forum configuration, it's a setting on the ACP). As for what constitutes a "visit," I believe it's any request by a logged in user (or, in the case of a guest, a non-logged-in-user) for a page in the forums. So clicking on a thread, refreshing, going to UCP, any page loading on the forum should update your "last visited" time.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 11, 2013 7:38 am UTC

descor wrote:

If it helps, you are among the list of currently browsing users for me!

It would help more is I had made a note of when I had last refreshed... Doh!

I am a slow reader (much to my inconvenience on this thread) and when I'm doing my New Zealand morning catch-up, I often wonder if I fall off that list before I'm done reading a page. Gee, I guess the obvious thing to do would be to lurk as a guest in another browser and see when I disappear....

But my main pondering involves lurkers who're signed in. Are they people who are working up the courage to say something? Are they bots? Are they bread crumbs left for us as a clue? Or are they an order of monks, blitzing in silence, but wanting us to feel their solidarity with us?

PS - ah, good to know ChronosDragon. That'll spare me doing the experiment while I'm busily catching up. :)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

descor

Postby descor » Sat May 11, 2013 7:42 am UTC

vvn wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
buffygirl wrote:For descor
Spoiler:

OK, I am not feeling the love .... do y'all like my hats or not?!???

a little insecurity, control-freakishness, and possible power-tripping involved here

It is very nice. I too like the hat being the Avatar. I stared at it convinced that the spiral images were derived from the avatar as well. But, I can't make that work, so I now think not.

Oh buffygirl! I was stuck in the past I didn't realise you had posted my spiffy new hat! Rest assured I love it and will use it forever.

vnn, the original avatar is a photo of a visitors badge to the CMS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider1. Buffygirl has (brilliantly) turned that into a hat for the actual CMS detector. Poetic.

1Yeah, that's right, I've been to CERN. I try not to brag at every opportunity.
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 11, 2013 7:49 am UTC

Copernicium112 wrote:Friday night is Forum night. Like every night.

Sigged.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Sat May 11, 2013 7:51 am UTC

Dracomax wrote:
airdrik wrote:Though, I thought I had a couple of those lying around here somewhere..
well, I think I left those on the other side of the portal that I'd opened inside my bag of holding.

Tell me you didn't put a portable hole in a bag of holding, turn it inside out, and try to walk through the wall. That shit is dangerous.

Here. have this Scroll of Cancelation...
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat May 11, 2013 7:56 am UTC

ggh wrote:But my main pondering involves lurkers who're signed in. Are they people who are working up the courage to say something? Are they bots? Are they bread crumbs left for us as a clue? Or are they an order of monks, blitzing in silence, but wanting us to feel their solidarity with us?

If you're logged in to an account you can use the User Control Panel Display Options to twerk/customize the look of the threads and posts. If you're a guest you're stuck with the default display. So SILs may be folks who want some control over their lurking environment.

Oh yeah...I experimented a bit and found that I disappeared from the list of browsing users after about five or six minutes of inactivity.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat May 11, 2013 8:06 am UTC

DOUBLEPOSTONG

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 11, 2013 8:10 am UTC

spamjam wrote:
ggh wrote:But my main pondering involves lurkers who're signed in. Are they people who are working up the courage to say something? Are they bots? Are they bread crumbs left for us as a clue? Or are they an order of monks, blitzing in silence, but wanting us to feel their solidarity with us?

If you're logged in to an account you can use the User Control Panel Display Options to twerk/customize the look of the threads and posts. If you're a guest you're stuck with the default display. So SILs may be folks who want some control over their lurking environment.

Oh yeah...I experimented a bit and found that I disappeared from the list of browsing users after about five or six minutes of inactivity.

Ah - thanks! That makes sense. I had no idea about the customization. Also, I was thinking that the names at the bottom of the page were the people on the thread, whereas, it's the whole forum (which probably isn't that much of a distinction lately, but still). That one name is still a mystery though... always there, and, now that I check it, the last activity is always the present. Gotta be a bot.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

GerardE

Postby GerardE » Sat May 11, 2013 8:20 am UTC

ggh wrote:
spamjam wrote:

Ah - thanks! That makes sense. I had no idea about the customization. Also, I was thinking that the names at the bottom of the page were the people on the thread, whereas, it's the whole forum (which probably isn't that much of a distinction lately, but still). That one name is still a mystery though... always there, and, now that I check it, the last activity is always the present. Gotta be a bot.

Or good old "auto refresh" set on 5 minutes? Maybe even on a long forgotten browser via a remote desktop?
Or do you always see your own name, like I always see mine? :wink:
Wait for IT. Business always complaining.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 11, 2013 8:38 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
ucim wrote:I would recommend that for a seaish condiment post, that the content be spoilered, and an unspoilered table of contents be at the top. Something like (what I did here):

Riverish (or Seaish) wall-of-replies:
  • fhorn: re. buttermongery
  • tman2nd: re. Blitzing - list of firsts
  • Dracomax: re. spoilering issues (ninjad)
  • mscha: re. giraffes as canonical units
Spoiler:
reply wall goes here
Readers can skip or not as they wish, and there are hints as to what they would be missing. In extreme cases, you could use two "chapters" of spoilers, one for stuff of more import, and another for stuff of lighter weight. (More than two spoilers is probably too much in most cases. Also note that spoilers don't nest.)

If people generally like this recommendation (or some other), perhaps it can be sigposted (as a suggestion, not a command) to the present Questers (of which I think there are something like ten now).

This is definitely a great idea. The thing that gets to me occasionally is lengthy signposts from people dozens of pages behind (100 or more, usually). I suggest the addendum that if they're particularly far behind, that they make sure that what they're saying is important or especially clever.

Again, *please* don't, especially on the last count.
Not only is it arrogant to presume we present-dwellers rule the OTT and it's OK for us to send “suggestions” (which are just a euphemism for bullying people into doing things your way) back in time, but also, just because you prefer this ketchup/blitzing style, it doesn't mean we all do.
I, for one, hate single huge spoilers. (And I'm not the only one, we discussed this earlier.) It means that you keep having to scroll back to close the spoiler, or else, when you refresh, you completely lose track of where on the page you were.

(Oh, right, I was going to ignore this discussion.)

Edit: but indeed:
ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl, on her arrival into the Present Time, wrote:I have seen many wonders on my Quest, and this I have learned: Time is not absolute. Though dedicated forum-dwellers may debate names to a Period fresh to their eyes, a weary wanderer may come to the same TimeFrame many longpix later seeing it as but a flash in the long, long thread of Time. While some among us hold fast to the heels of the Now, posting with immediacy and brevity, there are still others at the same moment following 10 newpages back, or 50, or 300. Those of us who experienced the great Fading in real-Time have shared an experience those that follow will never quite match, just as we ourselves cannot comprehend the madness that struck in the early quickpix, or during the Madness itself.

Yet these divisions do not separate us, but make us more powerful. As grains of Sand(semencancercoffeebabies) in a Sandcastle, this needle-pulled thing works best when we are not all of the same shape. Our quirks clasp us together all the more strongly, so that when we Wait for it together - whatever Time we may travel, whatever sect we may splinter, whatever graph or song or hat we share - we are not alone. For though Time may scatter us among the pastposts and the Present, in the end, it is also what brought us to this mad, mad, glorious home in the first place.
These are Holy Words - they are words which should be remembered for all Time, and for all of time.

Hear, hear!
Last edited by mscha on Sat May 11, 2013 8:49 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 11, 2013 8:41 am UTC

Poor mscha, it keeps sucking you in like a Time vortex! (Not surprising considering all the blitzery going on.)

ucim wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I suggest the addendum that if they're particularly far behind, that they make sure that what they're saying is important or especially clever.
...except that BlitzQuesters won't know what that is, as the context changes and some things gain significance, and other things lose it. Also what is significant or entertaining differs for each of us. The Words of BlitzGirl the First (from here) are apropos:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl, on her arrival into the Present Time, wrote:I have seen many wonders on my Quest, and this I have learned: Time is not absolute. Though dedicated forum-dwellers may debate names to a Period fresh to their eyes, a weary wanderer may come to the same TimeFrame many longpix later seeing it as but a flash in the long, long thread of Time. While some among us hold fast to the heels of the Now, posting with immediacy and brevity, there are still others at the same moment following 10 newpages back, or 50, or 300. Those of us who experienced the great Fading in real-Time have shared an experience those that follow will never quite match, just as we ourselves cannot comprehend the madness that struck in the early quickpix, or during the Madness itself.

Yet these divisions do not separate us, but make us more powerful. As grains of Sand(semencancercoffeebabies) in a Sandcastle, this needle-pulled thing works best when we are not all of the same shape. Our quirks clasp us together all the more strongly, so that when we Wait for it together - whatever Time we may travel, whatever sect we may splinter, whatever graph or song or hat we share - we are not alone. For though Time may scatter us among the pastposts and the Present, in the end, it is also what brought us to this mad, mad, glorious home in the first place.
These are Holy Words - they are words which should be remembered for all Time, and for all of time.

Jose

Aw, thanks, Jose :D

But GAH, Hal seems to have picked up on your spoiler trick for his sig!
*click*click*click*click*click*

WHY CAN'T I SEE THE SIGCOURAGEMENT?
*click*click*click*click*click*
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 11, 2013 8:42 am UTC

GerardE wrote:Or good old "auto refresh" set on 5 minutes? Maybe even on a long forgotten browser via a remote desktop?

Oh, I didn't know about those - could be an auto-refresh set to refresh every minute.
Funny about the own name thing - sometimes I expect it not to be there when I come back after a while. Then I feel like the cartoons where someone is trying to sneak up on a mirror.
Agatha the Awesomeful

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 11, 2013 8:59 am UTC

Oh, and I recommend that the Sand Dunes (or Dunelike Objects) be given their own Time Period, as they have gone on for over 20 newpix.

Our Wiki master patzer has apparently been swayed by the lure of Other Threads. :| But with a spiffy new avatar, I see!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 11, 2013 9:02 am UTC

Moving ONG without anyone falling... :(

BlitzGirl wrote:Our Wiki master patzer has apparently been swayed by the lure of Other Threads. :| But with a spiffy new avatar, I see!

But with heretic hats! Quick, somebody bring out the chocolate!

Edit: ONG added

Edit²: here's an animation of Cueball's and Megan's jumps:
Spoiler:

For comparison, Megan's first jump:
Spoiler:
That one was definitely cooler.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

GerardE

Postby GerardE » Sat May 11, 2013 9:29 am UTC

ggh wrote:
GerardE wrote:Or good old "auto refresh" set on 5 minutes? Maybe even on a long forgotten browser via a remote desktop?

Oh, I didn't know about those - could be an auto-refresh set to refresh every minute.
Funny about the own name thing - sometimes I expect it not to be there when I come back after a while. Then I feel like the cartoons where someone is trying to sneak up on a mirror.

For FireFox it still exists, called ReloadEvery; for Chrome AutoRefreshPlus. I remember starting to hate the past versions because it was irritating if your page flickers and repositions while reading. Can't be good for Spoilers as well. Still good for sites you have somewhere in the background. I may test a current plugin again.
Wait for IT. Business always complaining.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Sat May 11, 2013 9:49 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:As by request, a list of all references to Other Comics in the OTT:
Spoiler:
1 (8)
7 (8)
13 (10)
16 (12)
37 (11)
40 (12)
89 (1)
108 (23)
115 (2)
123 (1)
135 (6)
145 (12)
159 (12)
162 (6)
163 (7)
164 (6)
169 (1)
170 (10)
203 (14)
209 (4)
215 (12)
220 (1)
242 (4)
244 (11)
248 (1)
249 (10)
258 (1)
265 (1)
267 (1)
286 (11)
303 (22)
305 (1)
311 (2)
314 (2)
316 (1)
326 (13)
327 (2)
342 (1)
347 (2)
356 (2)
361 (1)
375 (12)
376 (2)
377 (1)
386 (1)
395 (3)
404 (6)
405 (3)
414 (11)
419 (2)
420 (12)
426 (1)
427 (1)
441 (10)
442 (44)
445 (2)
455 (3)
461 (1)
463 (16)
475 (2)
478 (12)
483 (3)
495 (1)
499 (1)
501 (10)
505 (16)
507 (12)
521 (3)
524 (10)
525 (10)
530 (14)
550 (14)
551 (1)
552 (1)
556 (1)
566 (5)
577 (12)
578 (1)
583 (30)
585 (1)
592 (2)
609 (5)
618 (1)
631 (40)
674 (10)
687 (1)
688 (12)
705 (2)
721 (2)
742 (1)
763 (6)
766 (1)
799 (1)
810 (1)
833 (2)
847 (2)
851 (10)
859 (2)
870 (1)
878 (16)
880 (14)
881 (1)
883 (11)
903 (1)
914 (1)
915 (44)
926 (2)
927 (10)
931 (2)
939 (10)
946 (1)
967 (2)
989 (2)
994 (10)
1000 (15)
1005 (3)
1007 (7)
1013 (2)
1017 (14)
1024 (2)
1027 (1)
1031 (2)
1032 (2)
1033 (1)
1037 (4)
1046 (1)
1048 (1)
1050 (5)
1051 (1)
1052 (17)
1059 (10)
1070 (2)
1089 (10)
1095 (10)
1102 (10)
1110 (7)
1116 (14)
1130 (1)
1137 (2)
1141 (9)
1153 (2)
1156 (1)
1158 (1)
1160 (1)
1162 (3)
1165 (2)
1166 (2)
1167 (3)
1169 (14)
1172 (6)
1175 (1)
1177 (12)
1179 (4)
1180 (10)
1181 (5)
1183 (10)
1185 (2)
1186 (1)
1190 (19)
1191 (2)
1193 (29)
1194 (1)
1195 (16)
1197 (14)
1198 (2)
1199 (12)
1200 (1)
1201 (2)
1202 (8)
1203 (16)
1204 (4)
1205 (7)
1206 (8)
1207 (8)
1208 (2)

Edited to include count data.

Permit me to introduce another. Now that (I think) I can post links... my theory as to the landscape wherein M&C wander:
Spoiler:
Somewhere between those 2 rivers on the Farmville coast, along the Dopamine Sea... I don't think this contradicts or conflicts with the One True Map.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

edfel

Postby edfel » Sat May 11, 2013 10:09 am UTC

FarmvilleONG ??
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat May 11, 2013 10:09 am UTC

What is the record for slowest posted newpix?

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 11, 2013 10:12 am UTC

mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Our Wiki master patzer has apparently been swayed by the lure of Other Threads. :| But with a spiffy new avatar, I see!

But with heretic hats! Quick, somebody bring out the chocolate!

Geez - where does he find the time? I never had that much energy.

GerardE wrote:For FireFox it still exists, called ReloadEvery; for Chrome AutoRefreshPlus. I remember starting to hate the past versions because it was irritating if your page flickers and repositions while reading. Can't be good for Spoilers as well. Still good for sites you have somewhere in the background. I may test a current plugin again.

I'm on Chrome. Might check it out for my work email. Cheers!

I'm going to poke a bit here:
I agree that it's not very nice to try to impose rules on other contributers. The flip side of this, is that those blindposting want to be read, and they can't force others not to skip their posts. I think that's why PhoenixRising was looking for some input - so that posting is a contribution.

I can understand that there is disagreement over what turns a humongouswallofblatherthatitmightbeeasiertoskip into the contribution that the poster is hoping to make. If there was a consensus on what made an easy-to-read post, that would make it easier for those blindposting to be read, but I don't see it happening. I for one like a table of contents, or some such titled grouping arrangement, and sometimes skip large posts when they're from the past and seem like they'll be a lot of work for little payoff. Perceptually, I find, and I may be alone here, that a table of contents, or easy-to-read topic headers act like a trailer that makes me want to see the whole movie, and I've really been enjoying some of the great posts from the past lately. I don't care how the post is written to draw me in, just that it does.

Anyways, I guess what I'm getting to is that, I don't think that any rules should be set out for anyone (and I don't think there even needs to be any agreement - tastes vary), but if we in the (near) present got some opinions out there (in a chilled-out, constructive way, of course) as to what would make ketchup posts more inviting, firefox, more likely to be read, I bet it would be appreciated.

I will not be diagramming that last sentence.
Agatha the Awesomeful

edfel

Postby edfel » Sat May 11, 2013 10:21 am UTC

Montov wrote:What is the record for slowest posted newpix?

Dunno, but for this one at :05 the OTC was still showing the previous frame, even after F5ing... Some dark magic is at work on these servers, it must be related to the...
Spoiler:
no, I, for one, am not going to start an impossible technical discussion :)

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat May 11, 2013 10:35 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:
ucim wrote:
pelrigg wrote:oops on the ninja's vs ninjas. I meant multiple. Thanks for the pointer.
I was beginning to come up with images that would be consistent with the apostrophe... and was starting to feel a need for brain bleach! (and also starting to run "Samurai Psychiatrist" in my mind)

Jose

Is it okay to edit the earlier post (no ' ) or just leave as is? [Forum protocol and all]

The definitive answer is, sometimes. No, wait, most of the time. Actually, I think it is always, except no editing a pre-Ong post to add the Ong. (And, should yours be the last pre-Ong post, double posting to Ong is ok.)

And, the weekend slowdown is early, but that's good for me, I have lots of Outside to attend to this weekend. (About 6 states worth, actually.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat May 11, 2013 10:36 am UTC

edfel wrote:

Dunno, but for this one at :05 the OTC was still showing the previous frame, even after F5ing... Some dark magic is at work on these servers, it must be related to the...
Spoiler:

Back in the old days, when I was hanging around a lot at the still infant Wikipedia sites, we blamed the lazy/exhausted hamsters who drove the treadmills and petitioned ol' Jimbo Wales to sponsor a new batch of fresh ones. Ah yes, time flies, now for the young folks it's all flux generators, dilithium malalignment and such modern stuff. We LIKED our hamsters!
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat May 11, 2013 10:38 am UTC

edfel wrote:

Spoiler:

Given the technical details, I would say that the server, it no worky.

Quilbert

Postby Quilbert » Sat May 11, 2013 10:53 am UTC

Copernicium112 wrote:"Gnostic," a tacit SONG
Spoiler:

Brilliant!

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 11, 2013 10:57 am UTC

Quilbert wrote:
Copernicium112 wrote:"Gnostic," a tacit SONG
Spoiler:

Brilliant!

Nice! Shame more weren't around to witness it!
Agatha the Awesomeful

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Sat May 11, 2013 11:00 am UTC

ONGOING ONG!!
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sat May 11, 2013 11:11 am UTC

I say this though I can't be bothered to do it myself right now, but I might note that no-one's updated or talked about periods recently- last one was the River period, around 200 newpix ago- this journey could probably be broken up further.

edfel

Postby edfel » Sat May 11, 2013 11:29 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:I say this though I can't be bothered to do it myself right now, but I might note that no-one's updated or talked about periods recently- last one was the River period, around 200 newpix ago- this journey could probably be broken up further.

Indeed. They're not even following the river now, and we're not sure they're going to find it again (remember: it was Cueball who proposed to go this way, and he's not the explorer of the group).

Maybe we can have the following periods : river, hills, flatland, dunes ?

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat May 11, 2013 11:33 am UTC

If we wait a couple of frames, we can call it the sled period. That is my prediction and I'm sticking with it.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 11, 2013 11:35 am UTC

ggh wrote:

It's gone! Not a long forgotten browser after all. Maybe it was Randall's spy! (Can you tell I'm a paranoid conspiracy theorist?)

Edit: and it's back. Nevermind. Must have just been a network hiccup. No more eating cheese late at night for me.
Agatha the Awesomeful

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat May 11, 2013 11:44 am UTC

Mmmm....ketchup for breakfast.

SBN wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:If they be dunes, should not they have come sooner? Perhaps near the coast? Otherwise they'd likely be walking in a desert and I believe we've concluded they're not, as they're still following the river (um...is it underground or just at a lower elevation?). They have been on a slow ascent since turning from the sea. No, I'm thinking it's more like the foothills one might find in Scotland or Appalachia (like the Peidmont region). You might find yourself strolling on a bright clear day, then suddenly the wind whips up and it, indeed, because much windier the higher one ascends. Note, she says it must "get windier" and not that it "is windier."

What if they never were near the coast, but at an oasis in a desert?

There'd be no river. There are no rivers leading to oasis..oasises...er, is oasis plural?

mscha wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
mscha wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:I think it's safe to say that Megan wasn't entirely committed to throwing herself at the ground. I mean look how she landed, if she was doing it right she would have landed flat on her face (unless something had distracted her, like suddenly seeing La Petite materialize on the ground below)

In that case, as readers of Douglas Adams will know, she would have learned how to fly.

Had that occurred, Cueball would be unlikely to say anything helpful. He probably would have said something along the lines of "Good Randall¹, you can't possibly be flying!" And of course when flying, it is vitally important not to believe that or it will suddenly be right.

I don't think Megan would have had any trouble disbelieving Cueball...

¹: FTFY

But would not Cueball also learn to miss the ground, and would not they both do it on the wing of a plane?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

akacat

Postby akacat » Sat May 11, 2013 11:54 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:If the wedding's in North Carolina, we may be only two degrees of separation away. Which provokes an interesting thought. I wonder if I've ever talked to someone anonymously online, and we knew each other (or almost knew each other) in the Outside but didn't realize it?
See now I'm all paranoid.

I haven't yet condimented for the morning, but I couldn't resist commenting from the past, as I'm also in North Carolina! Raleigh, to be a little more specific.

And I'm curious, how can a computer transition between Inside and Outside so easily? ;)

edfel

Postby edfel » Sat May 11, 2013 11:59 am UTC

fork(scenario)
curious.png

sorry if it's been done before :)

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat May 11, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

Yes, it has been done before. It is a rover on Mars called Curiosity.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 11, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

LONGBOWMAN...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

edo

Postby edo » Sat May 11, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:As by request, a list of all references to Other Comics in the OTT:
Spoiler:
1 (8)
7 (8)
13 (10)
16 (12)
37 (11)
40 (12)
89 (1)
108 (23)
115 (2)
123 (1)
135 (6)
145 (12)
159 (12)
162 (6)
163 (7)
164 (6)
169 (1)
170 (10)
203 (14)
209 (4)
215 (12)
220 (1)
242 (4)
244 (11)
248 (1)
249 (10)
258 (1)
265 (1)
267 (1)
286 (11)
303 (22)
305 (1)
311 (2)
314 (2)
316 (1)
326 (13)
327 (2)
342 (1)
347 (2)
356 (2)
361 (1)
375 (12)
376 (2)
377 (1)
386 (1)
395 (3)
404 (6)
405 (3)
414 (11)
419 (2)
420 (12)
426 (1)
427 (1)
441 (10)
442 (44)
445 (2)
455 (3)
461 (1)
463 (16)
475 (2)
478 (12)
483 (3)
495 (1)
499 (1)
501 (10)
505 (16)
507 (12)
521 (3)
524 (10)
525 (10)
530 (14)
550 (14)
551 (1)
552 (1)
556 (1)
566 (5)
577 (12)
578 (1)
583 (30)
585 (1)
592 (2)
609 (5)
618 (1)
631 (40)
674 (10)
687 (1)
688 (12)
705 (2)
721 (2)
742 (1)
763 (6)
766 (1)
799 (1)
810 (1)
833 (2)
847 (2)
851 (10)
859 (2)
870 (1)
878 (16)
880 (14)
881 (1)
883 (11)
903 (1)
914 (1)
915 (44)
926 (2)
927 (10)
931 (2)
939 (10)
946 (1)
967 (2)
989 (2)
994 (10)
1000 (15)
1005 (3)
1007 (7)
1013 (2)
1017 (14)
1024 (2)
1027 (1)
1031 (2)
1032 (2)
1033 (1)
1037 (4)
1046 (1)
1048 (1)
1050 (5)
1051 (1)
1052 (17)
1059 (10)
1070 (2)
1089 (10)
1095 (10)
1102 (10)
1110 (7)
1116 (14)
1130 (1)
1137 (2)
1141 (9)
1153 (2)
1156 (1)
1158 (1)
1160 (1)
1162 (3)
1165 (2)
1166 (2)
1167 (3)
1169 (14)
1172 (6)
1175 (1)
1177 (12)
1179 (4)
1180 (10)
1181 (5)
1183 (10)
1185 (2)
1186 (1)
1190 (19)
1191 (2)
1193 (29)
1194 (1)
1195 (16)
1197 (14)
1198 (2)
1199 (12)
1200 (1)
1201 (2)
1202 (8)
1203 (16)
1204 (4)
1205 (7)
1206 (8)
1207 (8)
1208 (2)

Edited to include count data.
I think this count is off by a couple ;)

Edit: newpixbot is Pope! I for one welcome our new robot religious leaders.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 11, 2013 12:48 pm UTC

They are visitors to... how shall I say it... "other threads" in this forum. (Now I feel I have to bathe again.)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

edfel

Postby edfel » Sat May 11, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

THISONEAINTANEWPIXBOTONG
edit: cueball being the keeper of the PET skin! This isn't going to end well. How many ways are there to lose it in the dune? Cueball will find one...

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 11, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
They are visitors to... how shall I say it... "other threads" in this forum. (Now I feel I have to bathe again.)

Jose

Did my morning ketchup as a guest/lurker. There are a number of names on this thread who've never posted at all. I mean anywhere on this forum. Has anyone ever noticed this on the main page?

"Who is online"
"In total there are 240 users online :: 51 registered, 2 hidden and 187 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)"
"Most users ever online was 1977 on Tue Feb 22, 1916 1:09 pm UTC"

I realize this is total number on the entire forum, but read the "Most users" line most carefully.....
And, yes, late-nite (US-wise) use crawls to just a bare handful.

And, yes, it also seems like there's something up with the Site. It refresh rate varies dramatically, sometimes taking so long the newpixbot has to save us. (While writing this I've refreshed the Site several times and have gotten the dreaded "X-ed White Box" image holder)

edit
and edfel gets the newpix whilst I ramble
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”