1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sat May 11, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:But my main pondering involves lurkers who're signed in. Are they people who are working up the courage to say something? Are they bots? Are they bread crumbs left for us as a clue? Or are they an order of monks, blitzing in silence, but wanting us to feel their solidarity with us?
They are visitors to... how shall I say it... "other threads" in this forum. (Now I feel I have to bathe again.)

In molten chocolate, no less...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat May 11, 2013 1:35 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:But my main pondering involves lurkers who're signed in. Are they people who are working up the courage to say something? Are they bots? Are they bread crumbs left for us as a clue? Or are they an order of monks, blitzing in silence, but wanting us to feel their solidarity with us?
They are visitors to... how shall I say it... "other threads" in this forum. (Now I feel I have to bathe again.)

In molten chocolate, no less...

Um...I don't mean to seem, you know, weird or anything but, uh...if there is to be bathing in molten chocolate...well :oops: may I join? It's nothing, you know, weird or anything. I just really love chocolate. Especially high quality chocolate of a cocoa content of 71% or higher, with smooth, pure cocoa butter fats. Mmmm...melty yum.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 11, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

edfel wrote:fork(scenario)
Spoiler:
sorry if it's been done before :)

No no no, that's the red planet, not the black planet! ;)

(Could work, actually. We know nothing about the physiology of stick figures, after all, so who knows, they might survive on Mars. It certainly would explain why the sea¹ isn't made of water.)

mikro2nd wrote:Permit me to introduce another. Now that (I think) I can post links... my theory as to the landscape wherein M&C wander:
Spoiler:
Somewhere between those 2 rivers on the Farmville coast, along the Dopamine Sea... I don't think this contradicts or conflicts with the One True Map.

That could work as well. But that's an even more alien planet than Mars...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sat May 11, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

azule wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I, in fact, also find myself quite envious of those with synesthesia. I feel like I'm missing out by not having it... :(

Imagine having it AND being colorblind. You wouldn't be able to see the correct shade of red as you thought you saw when looking at an "A".

fatness wrote:That's what my wife told me last night. :D

* rimshot *
* cymbal crash *

Please tip your timewaiter.

Um, I know what a job involving rims is...therefore I can get what the shot is.... but cymbal crash? I'm perplexed. Something to do with boobs, um, crashing them together like cymbals? Does that turn you on, or her?

Perhaps you missed the.... cymbalism there.
(more rimshots of the traditional kind. Thanks, folks, I'll be here all 48*7 newpix.. or something.)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 11, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

edfel, I was on your Map Page, pondering and looking. Great job by the way.
{In fact, all of those who have been making any of these off-site tributes to the OTC deserve a round of applause}
Didn't you have Megball's journey marked out on a previous version? Could you bring that back, perhaps?
I also remember the version with the way-points marked (the arrows with thumbnails). It's a much cleaner map without the arrows cluttering the margins; but if you do put the route back in, maybe a small box with a number in it and a list of corresponding thumbnails below?
(Sort of like: next to sandcastle [1]; mid-way along the beach journey [2]; at the mouth of Pretty Neat River [3]: etc.
and below {dialog paraphrased}
[1] thumbnail: Megan saying "bye"
[2] thumbnail: "Have you been this way?"
[3] thumbnail: "there are other rivers"
etc.)
And maybe some marking to show what stretch of the journey the Elevation chart is showing.

...you did ask for input...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat May 11, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Perhaps you missed the.... cymbalism there.
(more rimshots of the traditional kind. Thanks, folks, I'll be here all 48*7 newpix.. or something.)

Just finished reading your blog. I would vote for you for president.
On the other hand, I'm grateful that there aren't political posts here1
On the other hand, what's a cellist doing making percussion jokes?

1Please, please, please let us not get started with political posts, that way lies madness and flame wars. I had lunch yesterdip in a place where they had CNN on the TV. I was so far behind on Outside, I felt I was ketchupping, but also had no desire to, and I got really irritated at the lack of joy I've gotten used to seeing/reading/finding here.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 11, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

At the sound of the Ong, the time will be now-ish

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat May 11, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:edfel, I was on your Map Page, pondering and looking. Great job by the way.
{In fact, all of those who have been making any of these off-site tributes to the OTC deserve a round of applause}
Didn't you have Megball's journey marked out on a previous version? Could you bring that back, perhaps?
I also remember the version with the way-points marked (the arrows with thumbnails). It's a much cleaner map without the arrows cluttering the margins; but if you do put the route back in, maybe a small box with a number in it and a list of corresponding thumbnails below?
(Sort of like: next to sandcastle [1]; mid-way along the beach journey [2]; at the mouth of Pretty Neat River [3]: etc.
and below {dialog paraphrased}
[1] thumbnail: Megan saying "bye"
[2] thumbnail: "Have you been this way?"
[3] thumbnail: "there are other rivers"
etc.)
And maybe some marking to show what stretch of the journey the Elevation chart is showing.

...you did ask for input...

Ooh! And maybe a newpix/distance scale key?

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 11, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:edfel, I was on your Map Page, pondering and looking. Great job by the way.

I'm not edfel, but you can toggle annotations on the map by clicking on ... you get the idea. ;)
(It looks like the default was changed from ‘on’ to ‘off’, was than on purpose, edfel?)
Last edited by mscha on Sat May 11, 2013 2:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat May 11, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

I'm not edfel, but you can toggle annotations on the map by clicking on ... you get the idea. ;)
(It looks like the default was changed from ‘on’ to ‘off’, was than op purpose, edfel?)

Genius! Oh and there even is a NP scale :mrgreen:

Edit: When Time has run its course, I would love to have a huge wall poster of the One True Map

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 11, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:There are a number of names on this thread who've never posted at all. I mean anywhere on this forum.
They may have posted in other forums. But in any case, posting is not the only reason to join. The system can only set bookmarks for you if it knows who you are when you are reading. That convenience may be enough to get some people to sign up.

@edfel - great map!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat May 11, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

Just googled MobTeeseboose. The first ten pages are all xkcd.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

HES

Postby HES » Sat May 11, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

mscha wrote:It certainly would explain why the sea¹...

1An unmatched footnote creates a (big) unresolved tension that will stay with you all day.
He/Him/His Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 11, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

(It looks like the default was changed from ‘on’ to ‘off’, was than op purpose, edfel?)

The version I called up (from his sig) makes the entire page a single image. Which might be why the "Toggle Annotations" button doesn't work.

cellocgw wrote:
azule wrote:
fatness wrote:That's what my wife told me last night. :D

* rimshot *
* cymbal crash *

Please tip your timewaiter.

Um, I know what a job involving rims is...therefore I can get what the shot is.... but cymbal crash? I'm perplexed. Something to do with boobs, um, crashing them together like cymbals? Does that turn you on, or her?

Perhaps you missed the.... cymbalism there.

ttscp wrote:

Yes, yes stand-up comedy on the OTC...
"Take my lurker.....please"
"You, sir, what do you do?" ... "A podiatrist? (never mind) And how about you sir?" ... "An accountant??? ... what is there a boring occupation convention in town?"
* rimshot *
* cymbal crash *

"Is this mike on?" thump, thump
"Where's the guy I paid to laugh at my jokes? ... hmm... maybe I should have paid him after the show."
* rimshot *
* cymbal crash *

"Hey I've got a million of them....and if you don't start laughing I'll tell them all"
* rimshot *
* cymbal crash *

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat May 11, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:Yes, yes stand-up comedy on the OTC...
"Take my lurker.....please"
"You, sir, what do you do?" ... "A podiatrist? (never mind) And how about you sir?" ... "An accountant??? ... what is there a boring occupation convention in town?"
* rimshot *
* cymbal crash *

"Is this mike on?" thump, thump
"Where's the guy I paid to laugh at my jokes? ... hmm... maybe I should have paid him after the show."
* rimshot *
* cymbal crash *

"Hey I've got a million of them....and if you don't start laughing I'll tell them all"
* rimshot *
* cymbal crash *

ZZZZZZ....hm what!? What was that noise? Oh um...nevermind...ZZZZZZZ

Xenocat

Postby Xenocat » Sat May 11, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:

If you're logged in to an account you can use the User Control Panel Display Options to twerk/customize the look of the threads and posts. If you're a guest you're stuck with the default display. So SILs may be folks who want some control over their lurking environment.

Oh yeah...I experimented a bit and found that I disappeared from the list of browsing users after about five or six minutes of inactivity.

Yes, this, basically, for me at least. Various features on the forum require you to be logged in to use them. I've been lurking here for years but only got round to registering in January or so, I think because I wanted to have a look at someone's user profile and you need to be logged in to do so.

edfel

Postby edfel » Sat May 11, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

(It looks like the default was changed from ‘on’ to ‘off’, was than on purpose, edfel?)

That's it :D. For the default: it's back to 'on' .. but don't be surprised if it changes again ^^ (it's default to the last one I check before uploading, so that's basically a 50/50 chance if I'm not paying attention)
k.bookbinder wrote:<quotes snipped, anyway that changes nothing for Kierynwait... maybe those snip dotoo late>
Genius! Oh and there even is a NP scale :mrgreen:

Edit: When Time has run its course, I would love to have a huge wall poster of the One True Map

Thanks :) SVG is great for posters but er... "When Time has run its course" doesn't look like being anywhere near now. Sounds like "I'll draw a map of the Internet when it's settled at last" ^^
About the np scale, I'm progressively shifting from np to q as unit: it seems they've slowed down a good deal since they started following the river, so "average distance during 1 np" is not really precise.

pelrigg wrote:The version I called up (from his sig) makes the entire page a single image. Which might be why the "Toggle Annotations" button doesn't work.

It doesn't? This is standalone svg, so it should. You have javascript enabled? I'm curious of the technical details if you're having the problem again.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 11, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

HES wrote:

1An unmatched footnote creates a (big) unresolved tension that will stay with you all day.

No, it referred to a footnote in any of at least a dozen earlier messages. No point in repeating it, we all have to economize these days.

(Whew, I think I got away with that...)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 11, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
pelrigg wrote:The version I called up (from his sig) makes the entire page a single image. Which might be why the "Toggle Annotations" button doesn't work.

It doesn't? This is standalone svg, so it should. You have javascript enabled? I'm curious of the technical details if you're having the problem again.

Evidently I don't have javascript on. I'm running on Win7 with IE10 as my only browser (if that's what tech details you want. I not computer illiterate, I'm only semi-literate ("JavaScript, javascript, if I were a javasript button which one would I be?"))

HES

Postby HES » Sat May 11, 2013 2:52 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
HES wrote:

No, it referred to a footnote in any of at least a dozen earlier messages. No point in repeating it, we all have to economize these days.

(Whew, I think I got away with that...)

To be fair, I knew exactly what it was referring to
He/Him/His Image

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sat May 11, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Perhaps you missed the.... cymbalism there.

Just finished reading your blog. I would vote for you for president.
On the other hand, I'm grateful that there aren't political posts here1

1Please, please, please let us not get started with political posts, that way lies madness and flame wars. I had lunch yesterdip in a place where they had CNN on the TV. I was so far behind on Outside, I felt I was ketchupping, but also had no desire to, and I got really irritated at the lack of joy I've gotten used to seeing/reading/finding here.

Excellent: I'm up to two votes now (three if I can depend on the Spousal Unit).
And why not percussion jokes? At least I didn't start w/ the viola jokes :lol: .
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat May 11, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

ChimichONG

-a
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Sat May 11, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:Location: 495 of 537.

My time for Time has been minimal for a few outsider "days", and I find myself drifting even further into the past, despite moving forward.

A signpost! I'd forgotten I'd even written this one ...

Location 537 of 594. It's finally been agreed that Megball are walking up alongside a river delta, which is now looking to be particularly wide.

I'm even further behind than I was, but I started yesterday 75 newpages behind, and I've caught up to 57 pages behind .. (How very reflective of me) so if I can carry this on, I should be with you again ... eventually ...

I'll spare you a wall of replies; I'm trying to travel too fast to note down everything, and you'll all have been through here anyway.

Just the one though...

BlitzGirl wrote:Since RobIrr is currently wandering the past (not for long, hopefully!) I'll bump the "let's see where everybody is from" mapthingy again:

It's up to number 36 on the site's top daily list!

Bumped by BlitzGirl ... *swoon*
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 11, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:ChimichONG
Spoiler:

-a

Looks like the longest climb yet. And then when they stop and Meagan finds out Cueball drank all the water, the fur will fly.

Edit
Post 204, boy what a babble-mouth:

Found this {from B-5}
Elric (technomage): We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat May 11, 2013 3:28 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 11, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
edfel wrote:

Evidently I don't have javascript on. I'm running on Win7 with IE10 as my only browser (if that's what tech details you want. I not computer illiterate, I'm only semi-literate ("JavaScript, javascript, if I were a javasript button which one would I be?"))

Interesting... For me, in IE10 (had to blow the dust off it first) on Win7, the toggle button works to remove, but not to add the annotations.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 11, 2013 3:40 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
edfel wrote:

Interesting... For me, in IE10 (had to blow the dust off it first) on Win7, the toggle button works to remove, but not to add the annotations.

Well, I'll just live with it being a static image, and be jealous of those who can play with all the toys :mrgreen:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 11, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
mscha wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
edfel wrote:

Well, I'll just live with it being a static image, and be jealous of those who can play with all the toys :mrgreen:

Or you can install a real browser. (Firefox or Chrome will do just fine.)

Stumbled upon this Wired article. (Maybe it was posted already, if so, I missed it.)
How dare they not mention the OTC‽‽
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

edfel

Postby edfel » Sat May 11, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
edfel wrote:

Indeed. I think that's why I never wanted to code for a wide-audience website, now I know why it'll stay this way.
I'm currently toying with css+svg in order to have it working js-free (with only one version of the map file), so even IEsers can have a full version :)

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 11, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
mscha wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
edfel wrote:

Or you can install a real browser. (Firefox or Chrome will do just fine.)

At least I'm not using Windows 3.1 on a Commodore 64 with dial-up.......

HES

Postby HES » Sat May 11, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

I've been lurking for so lONG I haven't had a chance to do this yet...

Are they bigger, or is it just perspective?
Last edited by HES on Sat May 11, 2013 4:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 11, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

Megan wrote:These are bigger than they looked.
Cueball wrote:Oof.

Wimps... How high have they climbed? Can't be much more than 100q or so.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 11, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

This is the furthest they've ever been in that direction. Maybe they've never climbed up that steep of a grade before.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat May 11, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

vvn wrote:
marchlight wrote:
vvn wrote:It is very nice. I too like the hat being the Avatar. I stared at it convinced that the spiral images were derived from the avatar as well. But, I can't make that work, so I now think not.

Looks like the LHC to me. Sure makes a pretty pattern! <3 buffygirl

It sure is! Good catch. Higgs will be jealous.

I thought of that -- I'll make her something just as special.

vvn wrote:Might be a crosspost, but it's slow.
The previously mentioned random book had reviews on Amazon....

Spoiler:

J. M. Powers creates an enthalling story in which she brings to life her characters, her plot and her setting. ”
princess | 53 reviewers made a similar statement

Once you've read it from start to finish, you can go back and read it in a different order, and it will make just as much sense as your original read! ”
Bob The Frog | 47 reviewers made a similar statement

The book is too hard to follow, the author randomly shifts from one number to another without any prior warning. ”
pontifex | 10 reviewers made a similar statement

Thought it worth sharing, since we have had lots of discussions of hash and random...

Add:: And "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed" includes Uranium Ore (low rads) and Canned Unicorn Meat.
... We aren't the strangest people on the internet.....

I had to add more examples, because it really is just too weird:
Spoiler:
The 2009-2014 Outlook for Wood Toilet Seats
white face paint
How to Avoid Huge Ships
Fresh Whole Rabbit
a UFO Detector
The Best of David Hasselhoff
The Stray Shopping Carts of Eastern North America: A Guide to Field Identification [Hardcover]
a ferret cap (a cap for your ferret, not a hat made from ferret)
a Christian anti-birth control book
a Yodelling [sic] Pickle
Nuclear Duct Tape (for the Uranium Ore?)
The Kosher Cookbook of Imaginary Animals (goes with the Canned Unicorn Meat)
People Who Don't Know They're Dead: How They Attach Themselves to Unsuspecting Bystanders and What to Do About It [Paperback]
a microsemiconductor
rubber testicles . . .

PhoenixRising wrote:<snip>
Non-ketchup wondering: should I keep posting/following the OTT? My coma/work schedule means I'm pretty consistently 10 Newpages back, and based on some of the recent complaining about reply walls I have to wonder if I'm irritating some of you. >_> I'd rather let myself fade out than do that. At the same time, I'm not sure I'd keep following the OTT if I'm not contributing anything, so...

I dunno. You guys call it. Should I keep following, or should I Wait for It quietly/alone? (Tell me now and I'll react accordingly when I get back to the Present. If it's deemed best for me to Wait alone, I apologize in advance for whatever ketchup I post before I get to your Present.)

Please stay! If someone doesn't like long wall posts they can skip them. :) Besides, I haven't finished your hat yet.

------------------------------------------------------
ALSO: HES, pelrigg, vvn, Ebonite, fatness, and descor (and anyone I missed): Thank you for reassuring me and my hatness. MWAH!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat May 11, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
mscha wrote:

This is the furthest they've ever been in that direction. Maybe they've never climbed up that steep of a grade before.

And climbing up a soft material such as a dune might be made of may make it particularly arduous.

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat May 11, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

Megan has new breast implants.

edfel

Postby edfel » Sat May 11, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
mscha wrote:

In this particular frame they go up by 4q, which makes a total of <20q since the sea, so not a lot actually.
But indeed this part is a steep slope : 27% (do American people also measure steepiness in %? or is there a "miles a 10lb circular stone would roll during 0.78 minutes" unit?)

k.bookbinder wrote:And climbing up a soft material such as a dune might be made of may make it particularly arduous.

Yes, but we've never seen any indication that they're actually sliding or anything. It's only when they jump that they visibly slide and leave tracks.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat May 11, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:And climbing up a soft material such as a dune might be made of may make it particularly arduous.

Yes, but we've never seen any indication that they're actually sliding or anything. It's only when they jump that they visibly slide and leave tracks.

Perhaps it's an issue of scale? Their small linear stick legs/feet may not leave impressions that we might observe. Perhaps only a pixel or so of material shifting with each step. A jump/slide however would leave a more sizable impression and movement of material we would recognize.

Edit: fixed quote blocks

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 11, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Aw, thanks, Jose :D
They were good words. Very good words.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

HES

Postby HES » Sat May 11, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Perhaps it's an issue of scale? Their small linear stick legs/feet may not leave impressions that we might observe. Perhaps only a pixel or so of material shifting with each step. A jump/slide however would leave a more sizable impression and movement of material we would recognize.

But surely the small surface area of their non-feet would exert greater pressure on the sand/soil/cancerbabies and so they would sink further. Has anyone compared leg lengths between walking and jumping?
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 11, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

edfel wrote:In this particular frame they go up by 4q, which makes a total of <20q since the sea, so not a lot actually.
But indeed this part is a steep slope : 27% (do American people also measure steepiness in %? or is there a "miles a 10lb circular stone would roll during 0.78 minutes" unit?)

Nope, it's %. Rise / run. I know "we" (I for one welcome our metric system overlords) screw up some units pretty bad, but that one's pretty hard to obfuscate.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”