1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pelrigg

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 12, 2013 6:00 am UTC

Ong...Ong...Ong...Ong...Ong
With each step, further from home, closer to discovery
Walk soft, walk gentle
Hear the crunch of the sand,
Hear the wind breathe,
Make your way, find a path, take a road that leads your heart.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun May 12, 2013 6:58 am UTC

htom wrote:
vvn wrote:mscha answers my questions:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
vvn wrote:Since we are talking algorithms...
The general quality and reliability of the newpixbot has made me assume you have handled pretty much all eventualities. However, I am curious what is does in certain situations.
- ONG is not on time. (Specifically, more than 10 mins late.)

It will probably be caught. I check at :00, :05, :15, :25, :35, :45 and :55. (But only if no newpix has been downloaded yet this hour¹.)
vvn wrote: - ONG is over an hour late.

It will catch that newpix, but perhaps not the next one, see ...
vvn wrote: - There are multiple ONG's in an hour1, so the OTC can Ketchup.

Won't be caught, since the bot will be happy as soon as a newpix has been downloaded in that hour.
vvn wrote: - Or, multiple ONG's, just because.

Won't be caught.
vvn wrote: - Is there any trigger that makes the bot wake you to witness the weirdness?

Nope. But so far, I've always been around in times of trouble (no need for Mother Megan to come to me and whisper words of wisdom)².
If something very unexpected does happen while I'm acoma, hopefully someone is around to at least keep track of image URLs, so I can complete the collection by hand the next day.
vvn wrote:Edit: Based on your previous answer I am assuming that if the OTT is down, you just wait for it.

Well, I first download the image, so I've got that, no matter what's up with the forum. After a successful download, I wait until :10 if necessary, then try to post. In case of forum problems, that might time out or hang for a long time, but that doesn't matter for my collection.
vvn wrote:1Outside units used for relativistic clarity. (Bob's timeframe. (Not TimeFrame. (Well, maybe TimeFrame.))) NVM

¹: see 1.
²: somebody needs to write this song, but not me (right now): coma time.

Thank you for satisfying my curiosity. Sounds like you handle all likely situations. And, since some of the less likely scenarios would require us to crash some servers just to test the bot....I guess we can let it go. :)
And again, nice work.

The part of me that doesn't trust backups until they've been used to do restores wants newpixbot to look for a newpix every fifteen or twenty minutes after finding a newpix ... but that's approaching paranoia. Excellent work, mscha.

Just to add my 2 ¢: I try to get the frames at 7, 22, 37 and 52 minutes after the hour (to avoid round number peaks), regardless of the state of the OTT. If at any of these times there is a different hash than has been saved previously, it is saved too. I do depend on the round robin though. (This is not a bug, it is a feature: I don't want to be on a hardcoded IP when exactly this server fails.) Additionaly the hashes are saved independently.
Also: All saved frames are instantly backed up on a physically different location and every eight hours to at least another one. (Though that's not specifically for Time or the OTT, but is in the overall scheme of my safeguarding measures; so don't tell me about paranoia :lol: .)
Last edited by Sciscitor on Sun May 12, 2013 7:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sun May 12, 2013 7:00 am UTC

Edit: A bird!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun May 12, 2013 7:01 am UTC

Is that

could it be

it's a bird! it's a plane! No, wait, it's just a bird.

but first sign of life on their planet besides themselves and LaPetite!

Also the implication here is that we saw no birds during the entirety of the castle-building era. Which has further implications for location.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 12, 2013 7:11 am UTC

Ooh, an alien lifeform! I hope it's my lost pterosaur that I sent to the future, when I was Questing by the dawn of Time. He hasn't shown up yet.

(This was before I got the knack of signposting, pre-newpage 77.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun May 12, 2013 7:15 am UTC

Panorama below. Yay, a bird (not documented in graph).
Attachments
Time_Panorama_3.png
Newpix 1150-1276.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun May 12, 2013 7:28 am UTC

If it is a vulture, they are close to death.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 12, 2013 7:29 am UTC

Perhaps we should just call it a UFO?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun May 12, 2013 7:39 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Perhaps we should just call it a UFO?

We don't know if its flying, so we should call it a USP. Unidentified Sky Pixels.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sun May 12, 2013 7:47 am UTC

A Bird!

I called it!
Last edited by Latent22 on Sun May 12, 2013 7:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 12, 2013 7:47 am UTC

Montov wrote:

We don't know if its flying, so we should call it a USP. Unidentified Sky Pixels.

Ooh, shall we start a debate about what the sky is made of?
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 12, 2013 7:48 am UTC

descor wrote:
Montov wrote:

Pixels?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun May 12, 2013 7:52 am UTC

vvn wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:It's incredibly difficult to without defaulting to star-trekian clichés like sliding doors and talking computers, and it's easy to forget we have all those things already. I guess my generation's responsible for the aesthetical changes, and maybe the warp drives.

It's hard to predict the future. We expected AI, flying cars, a moon colony and mars expeditions. We got the Internet, global warming and the fall of the Berlin wall. (My generation will take the fall for global warming, But, Facebook is on you youngin's.)

Warp drives would be nice, but if you kids don't figure out how to reduce the standard work week and spend more time doing what you want to be doing, I will be sorely disappointed in you.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

GerardE

Postby GerardE » Sun May 12, 2013 7:55 am UTC

Montov wrote:If it is a vulture, they are close to death.

I have my hopes on the wing shape that it is a seagull or somebird related to that. See?? Sea!! No doesn't make sense.
Wait for IT. Business always complaining.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 12, 2013 8:01 am UTC

UFOng
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun May 12, 2013 8:03 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
descor wrote:
Montov wrote:

Pixels?

How are we supposed to reach a 1000 pages in this topic with debate-enders like these?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 12, 2013 8:12 am UTC

By going off on wild tangents that only eventually lead to speculating that in order to combat the heretical gray mustard, Randall in his wisdom must have created the sky out of pure white chocolate, and what lovely hats, here are some awesome graphs, throw in a smattering of manips and song parodies, and has anyone noticed the JavaScript? It must be affecting the skypixels, right?

Because moving to debate on a subject is not nearly mad enough :wink: The newpages must flow like the tide of semencoffeecancerbabiesoniceplusbaconbits.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

waveney

Postby waveney » Sun May 12, 2013 8:13 am UTC

Time to de-lurk.

As a birder, I think it is a bird of prey - perhap a vulture or kestrel. It is not a small bird, from its wing shape it spends a lot of time flying, and is not a gull. From the first frame I thought it might be a swift, but definately not in the second frame. I think vulture is most likely in the desert.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sun May 12, 2013 8:18 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I've been wondering: If this is a seacoast, where are the gulls? In my (admittedly limited) experience, if there's a moving object on the shore, the gulls will swarm to see if it's edible. "Mine! Mine!" The damn gulls should have been diving on every rock from the trebuchet.
Gull.png

Aha! Lord Randall does read the thread! But he is only on page 472.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sun May 12, 2013 8:26 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
descor wrote:
Montov wrote:

Pixels?

I think the sky is made of a gas containing Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide, Oxygen and a few parts per million of Coffee, Bacon, Cancer, Babies and Semen.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Sun May 12, 2013 8:35 am UTC

Final (brief) ketchup before I hit my last ketchup post. I shall find out what fate I've been given... after I coma. Night all!

Spoiler:
Xenocat wrote:Hi One True Thread and denizens thereof.

Insert standard "been following xkcd for years, and Time since its beginning, and just now de-lurking" introduction here. I almost posted during the Fading when it seemed like it was all coming to an end, but managed to resist, until now.

Lyoug wrote:I was surprised to learn that seeing the sequence of numbers in a particular shape was also considered synesthesia, as well associating a personality to letters or numbers (I personally only feel some letters are feminine and others are masculine, not a whole personality).
Since then, a part of my getting to know someone will at some point include questions like "how do you see numbers when you count?" or "are your months arranged in any pattern?", and "what about the days of the week?". Most of the times I'll get a puzzled look; but when I come across someone who starts talking and talking... :o well I just love that, since indeed it is a feeling that cannot really be described, or quite vaguely at best. So running into someone experiencing it as well gives an instantaneous connexion :) (Well, anything in common with someone else does I guess.)

And the real reason I'm de-lurking now is I just wanted to say "me too" to this bit. It never really seemed to me like it quite counted as "proper" synesthesia, compared to people who see sounds or smell colours, or whatever, but I very much do the shapes for numbers, months, days, etc thing.

I have visual patterns for:

• Numbers when counting
  • Hours of the day (unsurprisingly rather clock-shaped; I imagine most people do this?)
  • Days of the week (also has colours)
  • Months of the year (turns into a progression of "days of the week" shapes when looked at closely)
  • Years of history/the future (look, there's 2013 *waves* hi everyone)
  • Years of a person's life/when representing a person's age (similar to the number line but a slightly different shape and viewed from a different angle)

I'd read that this was considered synesthesia, but never actually met anyone who's done anything but give that puzzled look you mention, when talking about it.

*throws forward firstpost*

That sounds really awesome, actually. I'm almost jealous.

BlitzGirl wrote:Why am I always a-coma when Chaos erupts on the OTT? :roll:

Clearly the Chaos fears your mightiness. The solution is obviously that you never coma again.

Earthling on Mars wrote:(Footnote numbers without a footnote are rather like unclosed parenthesis.

)
*Rage*

mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Caffeinatedmaplebaconlollipops might be a suitable alternative...

That looks ... horrible. :shock: Something must be wrong with the Outside if it contains such things. I'm never leaving the safe environment of the OTT anymore.

There's a lot more wrong with the Outside than the food it produces. :|
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

Ace

Postby Ace » Sun May 12, 2013 8:37 am UTC

Hellooo ketchuppers, newbie here. You trekking types might be the first to read my first post, after it gets out of moderation! Been following the thread since the beginning, only just decided to create an account, since the OTT seems quieter these days.

Of course, I got sidetracked while typing this, and I come back to find the OTC has discovered life. Just when you think things are finally calm.. :roll:

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun May 12, 2013 8:39 am UTC

mikrit wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:I've been wondering: If this is a seacoast, where are the gulls? In my (admittedly limited) experience, if there's a moving object on the shore, the gulls will swarm to see if it's edible. "Mine! Mine!" The damn gulls should have been diving on every rock from the trebuchet.
Gull.png

Aha! Lord Randall does read the thread! But he is only on page 472.

To all the people who think Randall is reading this thread: think!

We are predictable. Over the last few years, Randall has brainwashed/educated/nurtured us into a state where every thought we had is directly or indirectly planted by him. We do not have free will anymore. We are not creative. Randall created us to explore his own creativity in all the possible twisted ways. Our discussions are not the cause of the events in the comic, they are the effect. When Randall draws sandcastles, he knows we will be talking about trebuchets. Sometime our expectations are squashed because we deserve it. That is the natural selection of our evolution.

Remember the dike holding back the sea, and we talked about the 2 or 2.5 dimensions to make that work? That was just a clever way to let us think we are 3-dimensional. But if we are 3D, how can we be confined by a 1D topic thread on a forum? Open your eyes sheeple!

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun May 12, 2013 8:56 am UTC

Montov wrote:To all the people who think Randall is reading this thread: think!

We are predictable. Over the last few years, Randall has brainwashed/educated/nurtured us into a state where every thought we had is directly or indirectly planted by him. We do not have free will anymore. We are not creative. Randall created us to explore his own creativity in all the possible twisted ways. Our discussions are not the cause of the events in the comic, they are the effect. When Randall draws sandcastles, he knows we will be talking about trebuchets. Sometime our expectations are squashed because we deserve it. That is the natural selection of our evolution.

Remember the dike holding back the sea, and we talked about the 2 or 2.5 dimensions to make that work? That was just a clever way to let us think we are 3-dimensional. But if we are 3D, how can we be confined by a 1D topic thread on a forum? Open your eyes sheeple!

I know kung fu.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun May 12, 2013 9:01 am UTC

Ketchup ONG my fries Image

was 20+ pages behind, and I am happy to say I am now in the present. IOf course, now I must coma, but since there have only been five or six users on recently, hopefully I won't be too far behind when I un-coma.
I was sad to see this bit of OTT despair:
PhoenixRising wrote:
Spoiler:
Non-ketchup wondering: should I keep posting/following the OTT? My coma/work schedule means I'm pretty consistently 10 Newpages back, and based on some of the recent complaining about reply walls I have to wonder if I'm irritating some of you. >_> I'd rather let myself fade out than do that. At the same time, I'm not sure I'd keep following the OTT if I'm not contributing anything, so...

I dunno. You guys call it. Should I keep following, or should I Wait for It quietly/alone? (Tell me now and I'll react accordingly when I get back to the Present. If it's deemed best for me to Wait alone, I apologize in advance for whatever ketchup I post before I get to your Present.)

PhoenixRising, don't leave us! Stay strong!

And Helper, nice to see you again,and I hope you find your dog.

Buffygirl, you keep coming up with amazing hats. And now lyrics!

And all the charts, graphs, maps, everything you guys do is just fantastic!

And now I coma, and leave you with MobTeeseBoose and Bing [Bot] to keep you company. This is always a lonely time on the OTT...

ETA: Yes! Got the ONG! And it's so exciting to see wildlife in the OTC.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Sun May 12, 2013 9:12 am UTC

ketchup for breakfast, though I'd far prefer mustard...

BlitzGirl wrote:UFOng

I see this as tending to back up my Map of the Internet theory. Let's not forget that the map (not the OTM) was drawn up in 2010. In the meanwhile there has been a significant peasant uprising in the Province of Farmville by the Angribirds Tribe. Or so I have heard it rumored, since I consider the Peoples' Democratic Republic of Facebook far too dangerous a place to visit...

Get out, Megan and Cueball! Escape while you can!
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Arky

Postby Arky » Sun May 12, 2013 9:14 am UTC

So begins the Bird Era of the OTC.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun May 12, 2013 9:18 am UTC

Just a little stat I did for fun, because I was curious. There is not much going on lately so I thought I would share:
frequency.png
Frequency of letters in nicknames
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun May 12, 2013 9:24 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Just a little stat I did for fun, because I was curious. There is not much going on lately so I thought I would share:

Neat!
Nicknames just on this thread? J and K don't surprise me, but I'd have thought that we had more than our fair share of Vs.
Agatha the Awesomeful

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun May 12, 2013 9:25 am UTC

Where are you people??! THE SKY IS FALLING. *ahem* I mean, falling, gracefully. That's not a bird, it's THE END! The end is coming, and we're sitting behind our computers and phones thinking how magical that bird is. IT'S NOT A FUCKING BIRD! IT'S...uh...CANCER! That's right, flying cancer. With wings. Fucking cancer. Don't they know it's the pigeons' jobs to spread disease. *shakes head*

I'm sad. There's no one around to share my fear with me. The OTC is ending. XKCD is ending. The WORLD IS ENDING! :cry:

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun May 12, 2013 9:50 am UTC

azule wrote:Where are you people??! THE SKY IS FALLING. *ahem* I mean, falling, gracefully. That's not a bird, it's THE END! The end is coming, and we're sitting behind our computers and phones thinking how magical that bird is. IT'S NOT A FUCKING BIRD! IT'S...uh...CANCER! That's right, flying cancer. With wings. Fucking cancer. Don't they know it's the pigeons' jobs to spread disease. *shakes head*

I'm sad. There's no one around to share my fear with me. The OTC is ending. XKCD is ending. The WORLD IS ENDING! :cry:

Want some hot chocolate?
Agatha the Awesomeful

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun May 12, 2013 10:09 am UTC

azule wrote:I'm sad. There's no one around to share my fear with me.

You should have used CAPS LOCK more. Well, technically, only once and not shut it off.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 12, 2013 10:10 am UTC

STRONGYL...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:11 am UTC

Spoiler:

/Ninja'd by the newpixbot.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 12, 2013 10:14 am UTC

mscha wrote:But so far, I've always been around in times of trouble (no need for Mother Megan to come to me and whisper words of wisdom)².
(...)
²: somebody needs to write this song, but not me (right now): coma time.

And only a couple of hours later:
buffygirl wrote:To the tune of Let it Be by the Beatles
Spoiler:
When I find myself in Times of trouble, Mother
Megan comes to me
Falling down the hillside, wait for it
And in our Time of climbing she is falling right in front of me

Wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it

And when the heretics declare that they will no longer believe
For though we know so little, there is still a chance that we may see
We shall find the answer, wait for it

(instrumental )

And when the Cuegan starts to falter we still know that Time is good
Bear it till tomorrow, wait for it
We wake up to an obsession, Mother Megan comes to me

Sliding down the hillside, wait for it

Thanks, buffygirl! Lovely! Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Sun May 12, 2013 10:15 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:it's a bird! it's a plane! No, wait, it's just a bird.

To quote a comedian - I think Seth MacFarlane (or someone he retweeted)1:

"It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's Superman! - Why were those first two guys so excited?"

1Seems that's how I spend most of my time here, quoting others. Unimaginative.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun May 12, 2013 10:43 am UTC

And another one, this time weighted by posting count of the user (sorry to bore you with this, but I try to brush up on my matplotlib skillz):
frequency.png
Letters in Nicknames weighted by posting count

The heavy posters make up in "a" what they lack in "e".

akacat

Postby akacat » Sun May 12, 2013 10:47 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
vvn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:. Y'alls who used a commodore 64 are old ;)[/size]

Not only did I use one, but it was my second computer.

Yes, ChronosDragon. And it amuses us that the Arduino running my basement fan is faster than the machine made available to the student body, with dozens of terminals/users, when I was in school. The programming problems were totally different than today. Imagine the world when you are my age.

It's incredibly difficult to without defaulting to star-trekian clichés like sliding doors and talking computers, and it's easy to forget we have all those things already. I guess my generation's responsible for the aesthetical changes, and maybe the warp drives.

Don't forget about teleporters1. That's something I'd really like to see in the Outside.

1. Clever as they are, teleporters that only function for a single unit of quantum matter don't count in my book.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sun May 12, 2013 11:00 am UTC

CORRYONG

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun May 12, 2013 11:37 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:And another one, this time weighted by posting count of the user (sorry to bore you with this, but I try to brush up on my matplotlib skillz):

The heavy posters make up in "a" what they lack in "e".

Not surprisingly, they give R and M a boost too.
Agatha the Awesomeful

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”