1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rvloon

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby rvloon » Mon May 13, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

azule wrote:HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Besides my own mother, my gf will be having my baby soon. I guess I should be nice to her, too. See ya guys later, then. heh.

Ehrm, are you in any way related to Oedipus? Your girlfriend AND your mother are having your baby? Did you kill your father for this? Are we now moving into 'I'm my own grandfather'-territory?

Bewildered congratulations,

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Mon May 13, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

Back from an amazing weekend in the outside!

Blitzpost of Epic awesomeness spectacular!!!!!!
Spoiler:
Hmmm... Actually, I really don't have much to say. I was really curious about the bird thing, and I agree now that it is indeed a Peregrine Falcon. Which makes it really curious as to which comic he may have scoped out first....

Wait for it...
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon May 13, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

I registered when trebuchet missiles began flying, ran head-first into the Madness, and fled in terror. My first forum post was actually on Externalities. I didn't first-post on the OTT until a week later, on page 247:
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:I think if someone gave me a tiny trebuchet for my tiny sandcastle, I would marry them on the spot.

Of course, if the water keeps rising, you may need scuba gear to marry them on that spot.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Mon May 13, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

ucim wrote:1Could be she. It's hard to tell.

It must be you - I have no problem telling. ;-)
Also: Special thanks to my temporal spies for opening a tunnel through the Outside (*shudders*) to forewarn me of this role I will have to someday play. It is indeed a great chasm which is sadly becomming bigger with every millinewpix I spend accepting future honours.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Ebonite

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin'( in

Postby Ebonite » Mon May 13, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

Although I had been lurking since the very start (and following xkcd for years), I registered and started posting on April 1, during "Madness":

Ebonite wrote:
SWuh wrote:
Hawb wrote:ic have done an very downtrodden job keeping up with all these forum posts. So when ic checked today ic felt very alienated. It appeared as though eow'd all devolved to this ridiculous dialect to go with the religion surrounding the an true comic. But it be not eow guys right? it be Randall being an funny guy right?

There be an lot of us in the same boat. ic follow this needle-pulled thing and the comic religiously. But sometimes it be literally impossible if eow have even an tiny bit of an life!! But just ken eow be not alone at feeling an little left behind :(

This is my first post, as I have literally just created this userid. I have been following this thread since the beginning; in fact, I've been following xkcd for years without ever creating an id on the forum. . .until now. :D

Although I'm very intrigued by the number of followers this particular comic has attracted, and REALLY impressed with the work everyone has done on the wiki (major kudos to aubronwood as well!), I've found "Madness" to be an annoying distraction. I've mainly been flipping through the forum searching for the posts that might provide me with some insight into where the #%$!% Randall is headed with this comic! I've spent way too much Time (with a capital "T") checking out the progress this past week. . .
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon May 13, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

I first posted during the fadeout, mainly to say thanks for all the fish.

ttscp wrote:I have lurked here since the beginning of Time (or at least between the first and second newpix), the only reason to post now, is to say thanks.

If this is the end, I'll be satisfied. The fadeout ending after Megan says, "bye", tells me it's done, let's me down gently, and reminds me that I've had a month of obsession with the OTC, with ups and downs, plot twists and conundrums, and binge web comic viewing in the same satisfying way I get trapped in a good book or a season of a TV series.

Kudos to Randall. With this and Click and Drag, he's extended web comics in a way that I wouldn't have believed possible.

And thanks to you all. I've surfed my way through most of the discussion, not each and every post, but enjoyed every last newpage, growth of the MTC (OneMany True Churches), the Knights Temporal, the Papacy (or Pomecy, or whatever), the hats and haiku, the statistical obsession with the sea (whatever the liquid is), and sending messages (and cake) back in time.

This is the longest discussion I have ever seen that hasn't degenerated into flame; and I go back to BIX (Byte Information Exchange).
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon May 13, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:So what would be the message of this new religion. What do we...um...what do we call ourselves? Newpixians? Anyway, what is the message?

In the beginning the Creator Randall brought forth and gave us Time. How many newpix ago was the creation of Time? In it he placed Meagan and Cueball. Together they began to make the world with the material given to them by the Creator. Cueball left. Meagan built. Cueball came back. They built together. Meagan left. Part of their world collapsed with her departure but Cueball persevered to finish what they started. With the work done, and alone, he had nothing left and departed. All that was left of Time was the Sandcastle for us to gaze upon. We continue to wait to see what is revealed. But in all that, what's the message?

We have seen the Castles.
We wait for it.

Oh, how I remember fondly those early newpix, back in mid 100s. The idea of the OTC and the OTT were in their infancy and those of us, devote followers of Time, began to coalesce. Back then I believed that the story of Cuegan was an allegory. Their own story told in metaphor. This may still be true but who knows? Only GLR, the Creator of Time. We continue to search for meaning and, as we did back in the days of yore, we wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon May 13, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

Awww, cute. I still hold true to my first post in this thread, too. Now page 93.

Valarya wrote:
matthewglen wrote:This entire comic has been a wonderful, peaceful, engaging experience. Every time I go through the images on aubronwood's site, I end up smiling at frame #105, when he puts his hands up to his mouth like he's saying "oops" after falling down the side of the castle.

But man, with this newest frame, I got legitimately excited at the prospect of seeing them go for a swim. I really hope Randall keeps this comic going for a while, I'm really enjoying it.

Also been lurking since Monday and, after reading your post, couldn't help but comment. I've been so obsessed with this thread & these frames (and the Book of Aubron) since the Debut of What period, 1NP. As hilarious as I find the Civilization, new measurement of Time, period-creation a la comic 915 and the new religion (yes, I even changed my FB, too)... I smile every single time I go through the images. Especially when it hits #105.

I hope this comic goes on for a VERY long time.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Mon May 13, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

Blind posting (thanks azule for coining the term, just read about that now!) from Newpage 541 - 65 pages of ketchup left.

As I pass the Big Controversy Of The Way People Should Be Posting, I realize something:

I, for one, love all the diversity in the way people do it.

I love short posts and quote pyramids.

I love clicking every spoiler from the people that spoiler every quote.

I love clicking the spoilers that are sorted by topic.

I love the ones that spoiler the whole thing.

And the ones that post a huge wall of text for me to scroll.

Boom De Yada.

Boom De Yada!

We're a melting pot! But I'm a proponent of multiculturalism!**

Let the people choose what they Spoiler or not*, or to not use them at all!

Let them decide where to insert line breaks and how large their paragraphs should be!

It's posting freedom! People don't get homogenized in the way they post! And they no longer have to worry about doing it right, don't alienate their posting style!

Skimmers will skim, nitpickers will nitpick, and... Oh, wait, that was 65 pages ago, people have no idea what I'm talking about, nevermind. Sorry.

*Except for big images, EVERYONE agrees big images should be Spoiled.

**Which includes people telling people how they should be posting. Love that too, it's part of of the style!

VoronX wrote:
ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
VoronX wrote:Speaking of pilgrims hopping through Time, If BlitzGirl is the Great Pilgrim of the OTC, does that make me perhaps the Billy Pilgrim?

When your quest is complete, you shall acquire the title of Blitzgirl the Next. It is one of the highest honors that can be conferred in the OTT.

As much as I would love to, I don't know that I could accept such an honorific, given that I really don't Blitz. The more linear and deserving, Vytron et al., would be more appropriate to assume that title. I simply hop through time, as fate and will take me, interacting with the presentfuturepast I find myself in, and comment on the OTC or the OTT.

Wow! Such a humble stance regarding titles. You're a great example to follow. I wonder if, when the time comes, I'll have the required humbleness to step down such a title, I...

ucim wrote:If there be any who, having done all these things and reached the Present Time, are ready for coronation, step forward now. And those who are still on Pilgrimage and have reached this point, let them also step forward and be acknowledged as True Pilgrims of Time, to be crowned upon completion of their Quest.

Ah! Ah! Thank you! It'll be a honor to be titled as a True Pilgrim of Time! I hope to live up to the title!

Also, I haven't seen this before, it seems BliztGirl is also Blitzgirl, Blitzgirl the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First, Blitzgirl, Blitzgirl the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl, Blitzgirl the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First the First the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First the First the First the First?, if my recursion of the title is correct.

The next time I saw this:
It was was just OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAANDS!

Someone posted a link to xkcd's 209 comic, which includes a time traveling kayak. I... don't remember seeing that one before, even though I read at least the first 800 comics. I seemed to appear out of nowhere, which is kind of freaky (as my memory starts forgetting past comics, I'll eventually forget following Time...)

BlitzGirl posts her first gong!

BlitzGirl wrote:Poor Vytron sounds a bit confused. Little does our weary traveler know that 200 pages in the future, we don't particularly distinguish between TimeFrame and newpix anymore, at least when referring to a new image of the OTC. In fact, I think both are used as measurements of Time, too (e.g. "I am going to coma for 7 or 8 TimeFrames"). So that debate is no longer relevant.

<snip>

I'm still unclear, myself, but that's just because the definitions are always in flux. I would say that here in the Now we use the term "ketchup" to refer to catching up on very recent posts, while a Quest/Trek refers to the dedicated act of reading it all. Blitzing/blitzgirling can be applied to any action of reading the thread from the past to the future, meaning it can be applied in both cases. So, a "mini-blitz" would be the same thing as ketchup, where someone doing a "full BlitzGirl" can also be said to be on an epic Quest.

Ah, I see. I've been using all these terms wrong! :mrgreen: (except for treking [with one k], which hasn't gotten any counter-definition yet)

Vytron wrote:Oh yeah, I don't need division and multiplication for this. If, no matter what happens, my pages to read decrease by 20, I'll catch up in 9 days, but that'll be to whatever page it is we're on! Which would be page 650, indeed.

So the present is at page 650! Wow! From my perspective, all the posts by ya'll are actually being posted in the past too. The true present hasn't happened yet, and the future begins at page 651, which by then, will have me posting with ya'll.

Hey, look! While I'm far behind in my quest time-wise, it seems reaching this prediction is still a possibility, or maybe even, singularitying before page 650!

macraw83 gets trapped in the past, and I already seem to have surpassed xem as xey's in 506/587. macraw83: You can do it! Don't give up!

It seems xey's also running an experiment. I... I don't know what's it about. Is it to see what would happen if you quote something I never say? Or is it to see if I'd say whatever you quote me saying in the future? Please tell me and I'll comply with your experiment's expectations!

(this DOES require spoilering)
Spoiler:
descor wrote:How large can it go?

Not very!

My text is larger than yours!

*shot*

lmjb1964 wrote:It took me forever to find this post, and then it took me a while to fix the BB code problems. Finally got it fixed, so hopefully it won't freak out future blitzers.

Heh, I loved the freak post, I think a page about freak posts should be added to the wiki! I also love being horrified when people get lost in the past, because I know they will ketchup one day. If I report an event, it's all good stuff!

Smithers wrote:
Vytron wrote:On my quest to the Big Bang Progress:
5103 BC - Mesopotamia, wheel, copper, first cities, animal husbandry, menhirs, beer, maize.

Mesopotamia? Be that not like the outside? Be not the outside go-done?

Indeed! I have speculated in the past and Randall may be an heretic outsider! Perhaps *GASP* he doesn't follow the OTC! He creates the pictures but never quite sees them appear in real time!

partingLance wrote:randallspeed to Vytron and RobIrr and PhoenixRising and all other trekers/blitzgirlers I've forgotten (too little coma, too much Outside pressure). And too many posts to consider and think up replies to

Thanks partingLance! Same to you!

jjjdavidson creates the feature 250 & 500 Newpages Ago!, waiting for it!

ucim names PhoenixRising, the Next BlitzGirl the Next, PhoenixRising, BlitzGirl the Next, the next (and only) BlitzGirl the Next. At least till I reach the present :) (hopefully)

The azule Section

>Hi, Vytron! I think this might be my second mention from you.

Hi azule! Thanks for your messages and for waiting for my response to them!

>I don't know if your sentence means what I read it to mean, but no, I probably haven't come to my senses, but also no, I don't think I went insane that day. Maybe a previous day during my previous ketchup (2000 posts/50 pages, I noted in that post). Good luck! I think my longest run was 100 pages? Damn, need some real stats. lol.

Heh, my attempt to use neutral gender pronouns, xeir is short for his/her, give it Time, it'll catch on. Also, whoa! You've caught up to 100 pages in a single sitting!? My deepest respect for such a feat! If I could do it I'd be with you and the other TimeWaiters today!

azule wrote:
Vytron wrote:[BlitzGirl] also becomes Archbishop of the Past. This means I no longer hold the short-lived title!

Hah! She had just given up that title! I don't think she'll be able to give it up due to time warp/fracture. hehehe!

Double hah! Just after I read it, I had regained the title once again! So, unless someone got it from pages 541-606, I'm ArchBishop of the Past again (but will not know if that's the case until reaching this post... which means one doesn't really know if one still has the title until it's time to no longer have it; hopefully this is the way Valarya meant the title to behave!)

Welcome FullOfIt to my present and Elmach, good luck in your pilgrimage!

Content worth replay (contains images)
Spoiler:
Then, one awesome image after another!

http://abload.de/img/riverpanhms1x.gif

3D perspective of the One True Comic! (I haven't reported what has happened in it in several updates, but it's just Megan and Cueball walking...)

http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.ph ... &mode=view
Picture that shows how much the top quoters have been quoted and quoting!

:mrgreen:

Probably my favorite yet!

(Huh, the first two are either two big file-size or too big dimension-size, so I'm just posting the links...)

BlitzGirl wrote:
Vytron wrote:<snip> I can also now say that BlitzGirl's Quest to catch up to this thread is the best! BlitzGirl rocks!

You rock too, Vytron!

Squeegasm!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 13, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

Another panorama update. To note, the current landscape has not gotten higher (just short of) than the tallest hill (which is about halfway back).
Attachments
Time_Panorama_3.png
Newpix 1150-1310.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 13, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

How about a little pogeeketry?

That's sorta like poetry but from a basis of setting up an artificial construct, and then letting the art fall where it may (or not at all).

In this case, I came up with something that's four stanza of eight words with an ABAB rhyme scheme, where each line has nine syllables, and where the two-syllable word always is in the second spot of each line:

The Waiting goes on; when will it end?
The river of Time flows through our life,
though nothing is done to make it bend.
We welcome each small joy, 'midst the strife

Each moment spent in the wait for It --
A droplet from a deep sea. Each swig
of water, so vile with salt, is spit
to return to the source, wide and big.

We cannot see what will come of it;
no meaning is found. Care? It does not.
Still, hurting comes too, from what gets hit
and missing some; still it ruins with rot.

But onward our wants drive us to wait
for knowledge and hope and long life, too.
Yet always we know that our own fate,
will someday end. Yes, that fact is true.

You might notice some familiar words... Let me highlight them:

Spoiler:

Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 13, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:How about a little pogeeketry?

Nice. I'm impressed! Image

Edit: it might have been interesting to not give away the secret message, and let us search for it for a while.
Last edited by mscha on Mon May 13, 2013 7:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 13, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

azule wrote:Another panorama update. To note, the current landscape has not gotten higher (just short of) than the tallest hill (which is about halfway back).

Thank you : ) I have been waiting for an update : )
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

foilman

Postby foilman » Mon May 13, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

Ting-tONG
Cueball takes the lead again.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon May 13, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Giant skittles cupcake, just for HAL9000¹! <3

¹ : though it's totally big enough to share
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

HES

Postby HES » Mon May 13, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

mscha wrote:While nothing much is happening in the OTC, why don't compare first OTT posts?

In contrast to you oldies, from a measly 71 72 newpix ago (np 1243, NP 588)

HES wrote:Okay, okay, I'm de-lurking. Mostly because I have outsider things to be doing that I want to put off as long as possible.

I'm sure this will go largely unseen due to newbie-mod-limbo, but I've been here since the dawn of Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! and want to thank you all for an entertaining 1243+ newpix. The creativity that can be spawned by boredom/insanity/cake is imply stunning.

I'd like to think that the OTC was a Birthday present from Lord Randall to me, and therefore I will (It started on my Birthday; sorry, all the cake is gone)

So, er, Hi!

It was a little weird de-lurking after so long, because I'd come to know the thread and it's occupants quite well, whilst to you I'd simply been a digit next to "guests"
EDIT for clarity, and to add that I remain thankful for this:
HES wrote:I'd like to think that the OTC was a Birthday present from Lord Randall to me, and therefore I will (It started on my Birthday; sorry, all the cake is gone)

Luckily, there has been plenty of other cake. And fudge. And out of date skittles.
He/Him/His Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon May 13, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

That's sorta like poetry but from a basis of setting up an artificial construct, and then letting the art fall where it may (or not at all).

In this case, I came up with something that's four stanza of eight words with an ABAB rhyme scheme, where each line has nine syllables, and where the two-syllable word always is in the second spot of each line:

Spoiler:

You might notice some familiar words... Let me highlight them:

Spoiler:

*sniff* I was moved to shed but a single tear. Thank you StratPlayer. And your message, ingeniously flowing through your poem, just as the river flows through Time, should be obvious to any devote follower of Time.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 13, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Nice. I'm impressed! Image

Edit: it might have been interesting to not give away the secret message, and let us search for it for a while.

k.bookbinder wrote:*sniff* I was moved to shed but a single tear. Thank you StratPlayer. And your message, ingeniously flowing through your poem, just as the river flows through Time, should be obvious to any devote follower of Time.

Thank you very much guys! I appreciate it.

And meanwhile... I popped in over at the thread about the discussions on today's comic. Hmmmm.... All I gotta say is that their jokes aren't nearly as funny as ours here in the OTT. :D

There seemed to be a lot of pontificating and postulating and posturing about ultimately arbitrary lines of division along the spectrum of evolutionary development and diversification.

It was kinda like watching a bunch of cantankerous old geezers standing around on a beach arguing about which grains of sand are IN the ocean and which grains of sand are OUT of the ocean. At some point, they're both right and both wrong, but the sand and the water probably don't give a damn either way.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 13, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

Man, I am starving...

Spoiler:
Yes that is the best thing I could come up with to say since it is sooo slow in here today.

StratPlayer: The sand might care, but the ocean is to busy beating the sand into submission.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Mon May 13, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Tatiana wrote:I must have skipped those pages. I'm not a full blitzer. I just click on the latest newpage each day and read from there. Still funny, even if t'was old news at the time to others. I'm glad you gave credit where it's due, though.

No problem. And technically, I wasn't giving credit so much as I was taking it ("Mine, mine, mine!!!") for first documented use of "Big BONG" and the whole "Maybe Randall doesn't need to exist" schtick. :wink:

But it is funny how things here in the OTT keep circling around again to retouch on current and eddies from the past. You may not be a loopist in regards to the OTC, but for the OTT, you should be.*

I still think the OTT is shadowing the real world, which is quite cyclic too. Mistakes are made, forgotten, and then made again. It's just a bit faster here.

Oh btw, my first post here was at newpix 38.
Pikrass wrote:
Chrisfs wrote:Ok, Checking in over a few hours shows it's definitely slowly changing. I saw sitting by sand castle and now standing by sand castle. I hope he shares the entire range at one point.

I hope he doesn't. In fact, I'm pretty sure he won't. That's the purpose of the comic.

Yoohoo, still right!
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon May 13, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer: The sand might care, but the ocean is to busy beating the sand into submission.

Indeed, were the sand to gather its forces for a concentrated argument about its existing out of the ocean, say, in the form of a sandcastle, I do believe the ocean, or even the sea, would have no trouble toppling their argument and washing it away, beating the sand further into submission. Which is interesting, because such an act by would, in fact, create more sand.

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Mon May 13, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

I'm *almost* caught up again!!

mscha wrote:
RobIrr wrote:
Spoiler:

Nice! Almost a teletext (Ceefax) version of the OTC.
(That would actually work quite well, a teletext page that you'd need to check every h newttpage. Too bad that 1190 is not a valid page number.)

It might not be a valid teletext page but it IS a perfectly valid Viewdata page :D ... Page numbers can be up to 9 digits long, each with 26 frames denoted by letters a-z. They used the same display technology, but national public access viewdata/videotex (in the form of Prestel in the UK at least) disappeared long ago. I did have a system here available for people to access but we've had builders in off-and-on for the last year so it's all boxed up for the time being.

It might be interesting to do it properly, though. rather than that hand-edited version; I would just have to do something to convert the newpix automatically. Resolution might be an issue, with only 78 x 66 pixels to work with..

(I could also do actual teletext - I've even got a commercial (albeit elderly) teletext inserter, so can throw it up on the TV, but it'd only be me able to see it!)
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 13, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Indeed, were the sand to gather its forces for a concentrated argument about its existing out of the ocean, say, in the form of a sandcastle, I do believe the ocean, or even the sea, would have no trouble toppling their argument and washing it away, beating the sand further into submission. Which is interesting, because such an act by would, in fact, create more sand.

I remember reading some science papers about something like this. There was one that said almost the same thing you just did, but you said it much nicer. The paper's author was kind of an arrogant jerk.

All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.

HES

Postby HES » Mon May 13, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

To the tune of "Madness" by muse
Spoiler:
(wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-wait for it)

I, I can't get these newpixes out of my mind,
And some kind of madness has started to evolve.
I, I tried so hard to let it go,
But the One True Comic is swallowing me whole, yeah

I have finally seen it change,
And I have finally realised
It's Javascript!

Ooh oh oh

And now I need to know is this worth our Time,
Or is it just madness keeping us afloat?
And when I look back at all the crazy hats we have,
Like some kind of madness was taking control, yeah

And now I have finally seen it change,
And I have finally realised
It's Javascript!

Mmmm...

And when will we finally see the end (finally see the end)
Or are we expecting it to loop (expecting it to loop)
But I have finally seen it change (finally seen it change)
I have finally realised (realised)
I need to wait!
I need to wait!

ONG to me
Once every hour.
Come on and entertain.
Yes I know, I can be wrONG,
Maybe I'm too headstrONG.
This thread is
Madness

headstrONG

EDIT to add song link1, to add this2, some corrections and spoiler rearrangement3, and changing z->s (It's what Muse would have wanted)4. It's a little rushed as I realised the newpix was upon us and wanted to use the lyrics as the ONG.
Last edited by HES on Wed May 15, 2013 7:19 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
He/Him/His Image

unreal37

Postby unreal37 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

Megan and Cueball actually look tired now. I wonder if I'm just projecting it on them, or Randall is drawing them more slumped over.

I for one welcome the end of the mountains walk, and anxiously await the story to progress.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon May 13, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

I remember reading some science papers about something like this. There was one that said almost the same thing you just did, but you said it much nicer. The paper's author was kind of an arrogant jerk.

I thank you StratPlayer. It has come to pass that my co-workers now truly believe me insane for I could not but laugh hysterically whilst at my desk. :mrgreen:

I suppose now I need not worry about what they think of my mutterings whilst I wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 13, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

This Is To Vytron (Others May Move Along): ;)
Vytron wrote:Blind posting (thanks azule for coining the term, just read about that now!)
YW. I didn't even try to make this a word, just my own description. I guess that is how it should be: natural. Eh, or contrived. :)

Vytron wrote:
Spoiler:
As I pass the Big Controversy Of The Way People Should Be Posting, I realize something:

I, for one, love all the diversity in the way people do it.

I love short posts and quote pyramids.

I love clicking every spoiler from the people that spoiler every quote.

I love clicking the spoilers that are sorted by topic.

I love the ones that spoiler the whole thing.

And the ones that post a huge wall of text for me to scroll.

Boom De Yada.

Boom De Yada!

We're a melting pot! But I'm a proponent of multiculturalism!**

Let the people choose what they Spoiler or not*, or to not use them at all!

Let them decide where to insert line breaks and how large their paragraphs should be!

It's posting freedom! People don't get homogenized in the way they post! And they no longer have to worry about doing it right, don't alienate their posting style!

Skimmers will skim, nitpickers will nitpick, and... Oh, wait, that was 65 pages ago, people have no idea what I'm talking about, nevermind. Sorry.

*Except for big images, EVERYONE agrees big images should be Spoiled.

**Which includes people telling people how they should be posting. Love that too, it's part of of the style!
I love this summation. Don't worry, this will be relevant again, and we'll have something neat to quote for FutureWaiters!

Vytron wrote:(this DOES require spoilering)
Spoiler:
descor wrote:How large can it go?

Not very!

*shot*
Hah, I was trying to figure this out. I tried it myself and failed. Now I see. *doesn't tell others* 8-)
Spoiler:

You're awesome (and reviled) for bringing this to light!
Vytron wrote:>I don't know if your sentence means what I read it to mean, but no, I probably haven't come to my senses, but also no, I don't think I went insane that day. Maybe a previous day during my previous ketchup (2000 posts/50 pages, I noted in that post). Good luck! I think my longest run was 100 pages? Damn, need some real stats. lol.

Heh, my attempt to use neutral gender pronouns, xeir is short for his/her, give it Time, it'll catch on. Also, whoa! You've caught up to 100 pages in a single sitting!? My deepest respect for such a feat! If I could do it I'd be with you and the other TimeWaiters today!
I'm getting used to the neuter pronouns, it's not a problem.
Sorry if I wrote that weirdly, I meant to say, "some period in the past" I had a lot of catching up to do. I think one of those "periods" it took me 4 or 5 "days". I am definitely not fast. *slow reader* And not confirmed on 100 pages, too "lazy" to verify. *probably wrong*

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon May 13, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

*steps through easy-to-use next-generation Time-portal-o-matic* Hi there. I was Outside for a long weekend and don't really feel like ketchup. Hi! Anything awesome happen while I was gone?

mscha wrote:PELTMONGERS...
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot
Ooh! I wonder whether there'll be a BUTTERMONGER some day!

charlie_grumbles wrote:How can we be sure this "Randall" of whom you speak really exists. Perhaps the OTC has existed for all "Time" and we just noticed it in March. Does it really need a creator (GLR), or is it just "what is"? Just askin'.

I have seen GLR, which is proof that he exists, therefore, by the Babel Fish argument, he doesn't exist.

mscha wrote:It even appears I was a loopist back then. (Me? A loopist? I deny everything!)

A loopist's what you were back then,
and though you've changed your mind,
a loopist's what you'll be again,
ahead, just as behind.
You may think it's too soon to say
you'll loop your change of heart,
but loops forever start this way;
one change is the first part:
(repeat x∞)

What's this about old computers (the first I half-owned was an Amstrad CPC464, but we had several other 64K machines in the house before that) and first posts? My first post in this thread was a message of hope in a sea of cancerbabies:

Angelastic wrote:I just want to say I don't think it's morbid. I don't think Randall is making us wait and refresh and refresh and script and hack just to say at the end 'HA! Something terrible happened! :P :| to me or my wife! :cry:' Sure, if enough time passes, people/universes will disappear, and maybe that will happen here, but time will pass first and it will be lovely, poignant, funny, surprising, tedious etc. rather than morbid. Time!
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon May 13, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

My first post back on page 65 (was it really so long ago? :shock: ) was a bit of an essay, so I'll just link it here!

azule wrote:
Coded Comments:
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:I say let's leave it at avoid double posting unless one or more of the posts in question contains an ONG

Code: Select all

DoublePost = ONG || false;

But isn't the expression:

ONG || false == ONG

always true? Perhaps a less redundant and updated version of the statement should be

DoublePost = ONG || (Users["buffygirl"].hat() != null)

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Mon May 13, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

My first post was back on np35, I am a constant lurker but only pop up every few days.

Eoink wrote:Yep, it's now 9.40 in the UK, I'm having a manic day at work, but taking time every 30 minutes to check what our friend(s) are doing.
It's amazing how it is possible toget emotionally invested in 2 stick figures.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3304721#p3304721

Edit to add link
Last edited by Eoink on Mon May 13, 2013 8:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Giant skittles cupcake, just for HAL9000¹! <3

¹ : though it's totally big enough to share

<3
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon May 13, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

mscha wrote:While nothing much is happening in the OTC, why don't we compare first OTT posts?

NewPage 12¹, NewPix 44²:
KarMann wrote:
Moose Anus wrote:Sandcastle. Tide comes in. Dead-ass castle.

My hobby . . . .
"Dead ass-castle." Hmm.

1: definitely one of the earliest of the still-regulars to post in the OTT; the only ones around then I recognize as still posting occasionally lately are Goggalor & BytEfLUSh
2: if I've done the time zone conversion etc. correctly
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Mon May 13, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

But what kind of a falcong is it?
Attachments
falcon.png
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

RobIrr

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby RobIrr » Mon May 13, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

*caught up* blinks at the fading daylight with rectangular blobs floating in my eyes...

My first post (on this needle-pulled thing) was on page 196 ...but

RobIrr wrote:Phew ... <delurk> started reading this thread when it was "only" 70-odd pages long. Finally reached the end.

I spent ages looking for something meaningful in the image before I thought to check the forum, and found you all in full flow. I've not encountered The Madness before... You've had some fun!

</delurk>

ETA: First computer? Of my own? Sinclair ZX81 (kit-built), although I used to use TRS-80s at school previously. I moved onto BBC Micros after that, making some money from writing programs, but never really enough to live on.
Last edited by RobIrr on Mon May 13, 2013 8:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

thirds

Postby thirds » Mon May 13, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

The land is flattening out behind them, or they are growing in size.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 13, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

I thank you StratPlayer. It has come to pass that my co-workers now truly believe me insane for I could not but laugh hysterically whilst at my desk. :mrgreen:

I suppose now I need not worry about what they think of my mutterings whilst I wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

I had the same issue, now the lady in the cubical across from me is giving me strange looks for my stifled giggles.

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon May 13, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:StratPlayer: The sand might care, but the ocean is to busy beating the sand into submission.

I find your sense of humour rather abrasive.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 13, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
azule wrote:
Coded Comments:
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:I say let's leave it at avoid double posting unless one or more of the posts in question contains an ONG

DoublePost = ONG || false;

But isn't the expression:

ONG || false == ONG

always true? Perhaps a less redundant and updated version of the statement should be

DoublePost = ONG || (Users["buffygirl"].hat() != null)

Why would you run "ONG || false" for a comparison? Your second code, it could be argued successfully. :) You're right, it's just that I wanted it to resemble English a tad bit more for non-programmers.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Mon May 13, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Once, I had to write a Paper about sand for a college Coarse. It was Rough, but I did just Fine.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 13, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Once, I had to write a Paper about sand for a college Coarse. It was Rough, but I did just Fine.

I fine these puns rather abrasive, they are even getting in my hair.

Edit: it seems everyone has sand in there shorts for the coarse of these puns and don't want to post.
Last edited by Opiboble on Mon May 13, 2013 8:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”