1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby KarMann » Mon May 13, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:ETA: First computer? Of my own? Sinclair ZX81 (kit-built), although I used to use TRS-80s at school previously. I moved onto BBC Micros after that, making some money from writing programs, but never really enough to live on.

Yay! Mine was a ZX81 from parts, too. :D I think it had 4 KB of RAM? Not long after, I was using one of those acoustic-coupling teletypes to connect to a PDP-11, mostly for playing Zork (under another name, and it took me a terribly long time to realize that that & the Zork of which I'd heard were one & the same) and Trek (it's ALL related!). When I did my Commodore days, it was all CBMs & PETs; I don't think I ever touched a C64, somehow.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Mon May 13, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

Nice rendition, HES. I like the js line. :) StratPlayer, good as always. Angelastic, welcome back, and nice rhyme. No haiku, though, eh?

HES, while I've got you here, what is your name: an acronym; "he's" without the apostrophe; are you a "she" or is the name significant: or is it hes...whatever that is?

rvloon wrote:
Spoiler:
Ehrm, are you in any way related to Oedipus? Your girlfriend AND your mother are having your baby? Did you kill your father for this? Are we now moving into 'I'm my own grandfather'-territory?

Bewildered congratulations,

Ronald

I hate/love the internet! How dare you, btw. :P

RobIrr wrote:First computer? Of my own? Sinclair ZX81 (kit-built), although I used to use TRS-80s at school previously.

I've never heard of these. lol. I had an Apple IIe (I think)..and I broke it. lol. Got myself an HP Pavilion years later. Still works.

ChronosDragon wrote:My first post back on page 65 (was it really so long ago? :shock: ) was a bit of an essay, so I'll just link it here!

You're a grown-up, with those glasses and pocketwatch. That's how I always saw you.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
slinches
Slinches get Stinches
Posts: 1009
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Mon May 13, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

Time for a BBQ sauce1 post. I had been keeping up with the OTT well for quite a while, but this weekend2 the outside initiated a tractor beam for which my impulse engines at full reverse were no match.

Regarding Hats (including my thanks to buffygirl):
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:
vvn wrote:
marchlight wrote:
vvn wrote:It is very nice. I too like the hat being the Avatar. I stared at it convinced that the spiral images were derived from the avatar as well. But, I can't make that work, so I now think not.


Looks like the LHC to me. Sure makes a pretty pattern! <3 buffygirl

It sure is! Good catch. Higgs will be jealous.

I thought of that -- I'll make her something just as special.


buffygirl wrote:For higgs-boson

:shock: That's beautiful.

Relatedly, I've been thinking about building a LHC collision lamp based on graphics like this one. It would use optical fibers to trace the particle paths in 3D and have multi-colored glass squares arranged around it in a cylinder to represent the detector signals.
Image

buffygirl wrote:For slinches.

It's perfect! [tears of joy] Thank you, I will wear it always.

Is my cowboy slug being weighed on the scales of justice!?

buffygirl wrote:For PhoenixRising

buffygirl wrote:SURPRISE For Sciscitor because of his FABULOUS star chart thingy!

That is some prolific hatting for such a short period of Time. And certainly not at the expense of quality.

buffygirl wrote:GOOD NEWS! The BuffyDashery is once again open for new requests. Please both PM me and post your request in the thread. In your PM, please provide me with a sentence or two about yourself (not about hats), as well as a link to your thread post.

Thank you! MWAH!

That wasn't directed at me was it? :oops: Nah, it couldn't be. My PM wasn't about hats at all. I just used different varieties of hats to describe myself ... Phew.


Misc:
Spoiler:
waveney wrote:Time to de-lurk.

As a birder, I think it is a bird of prey - perhap a vulture or kestrel. It is not a small bird, from its wing shape it spends a lot of time flying, and is not a gull. From the first frame I thought it might be a swift, but definately not in the second frame. I think vulture is most likely in the desert.

I don't know, it looks to me like the 2.5D projection of a 3.5D Time Vulture.

BlitzGirl wrote:Some causes for the OTT slowdown might include the confluence of special Outside occasions these xips (at least in the U.S.) including Mother's Day, high school proms, and graduations followed by parties of all shapes and sizes. These threw me so far out of my normal stride that I ended up in Moscow, Idaho, so I would not be surprised if similar catastrophe has struck many of our fellow thread-dwellers.

It wasn't that slow. I found myself 12 NP behind this morning, which is as far back as I've been since I started participating more actively in the OTT.

edfel wrote:
Platonix wrote:
edfel wrote:I've been trying to find out if these were really the right size and shape for sand dunes or not (I heard somewhere that there was a "stable" shape with given angles, etc.). In particular I found them a bit too symmetrical: the slope is the same windward and, er, counter-windward.
All I found is this kind of digital simulation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPTN9Iuz2Fg
Anyone's got a link to a scientific paper showing that the dunes we see here actually happen in real life?

I forget, have we seen any evidence for which direction is windward? Wouldn't sand dunes look symmetric if seen from exactly up- or down-wind?


For the wind direction, I don't think there's any strong evidence, but I assumed they were going against the wind (probably because she said it was going to get windier up there).
But anyway the dunes are supposed to be orthogonal to the wind direction, so they may look symmetric, but not /\-shaped, if seen from up- or down-wind.

The one piece of evidence I can find for wind direction is curvature. If these are wind shaped dunes, the windward side should be convex and the leeward side relatively concave. It looks to me like the right side seems to be more convex on most of them, making the wind likely to be at least somewhat biased toward blowing out to sea.

HAL9000 wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:I say let's leave it at avoid double posting unless one or more of the posts in question contains an ONG

Indeed. If you don't do this, I'll probably get mad (I've noticed that I reprimand people about the Rules a lot)

I like how we've become a sub-forum unto ourselves. We have our own set of rules, a myriad of topics considered appropriate and on topic in various categories, and now even our own moderators3!

k.bookbinder wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Ok, hush. both of you. I am concerned because maybe this is what the first part of a flame war looks like.


Cardinal buffygirl, should flames erupt, I have located this large metal cylindrical pressure vessel which, according to the label, contains fire suppressing chemicals and requires that one simply "pull pin, aim hose and nozzle in direction of flames, press lever handle to dispense fire retardant chemicals." Huh. "Fire retardant chemicals" sounds a bit un-p.c. to me.

edit: typo

I think I've heard of something fitting that description ... ? Does it look like this?. I hear they are useful against existentialism as well as flame wars. :D

3Who lack true mod powers, but are heeded4 nonetheless.5
4Usually.
5So what is the convention on footnotes within spoilers? Should they be done like this or appended at the end of the entire post to maintain numerical order?


1my preferred condiment.
2Please excuse the heresy, my mind has been sullied by so much exposure to the outside.

Eoink
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:33 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eoink » Mon May 13, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer: The sand might care, but the ocean is to busy beating the sand into submission.


Indeed, were the sand to gather its forces for a concentrated argument about its existing out of the ocean, say, in the form of a sandcastle, I do believe the ocean, or even the sea, would have no trouble toppling their argument and washing it away, beating the sand further into submission. Which is interesting, because such an act by would, in fact, create more sand.


I remember reading some science papers about something like this. There was one that said almost the same thing you just did, but you said it much nicer. The paper's author was kind of an arrogant jerk.

All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.

Once, I had to write a Paper about sand for a college Coarse. It was Rough, but I did just Fine.


I fine these puns rather abrasive, they are even getting in my hair.


Just grit your teeth and bear it.

User avatar
ggh
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:45 am UTC
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Mon May 13, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

ggh wrote:If "Time" were an elaborate set-up for a terrible pun, what would that pun be?

This was my first on newpage 312. I still wonder the same thing.
I don't know how long I lurked (and I definitely didn't read everything when I started), but I remember reading Hal's second post. Still couldn't agree more.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

User avatar
htom
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 am UTC
Location: Twin Cities, MN, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby htom » Mon May 13, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

First was page 33 -- http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3304581#p3304581

Re: 1190: "Time"

Post by htom » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:20 am UTC
Thought I'd registered long ago, but ... computers.

I love it when he messes with my mind like this. Many thanks to those who collected the images I didn't see in real time.

Time, wait for it. Ummm no, don't. It's already gone.


I even started gloomy about "wait for it." There's a balance to be struck between being impulsive and waiting, and looking back, I've recently had some of the consequences of waiting too much or too long bashing me about. I should maybe have been just a little more impulsive, done just a little less waiting. Balance is all.

Stratplayer That was poetry you committed there, don't try to hide it.

I used a lot of other people's PCs before I broke down and started buying Amigas. Still don't care for the ISA of the x86en.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Mon May 13, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
waveney wrote:Time to de-lurk.

As a birder, I think it is a bird of prey - perhap a vulture or kestrel. It is not a small bird, from its wing shape it spends a lot of time flying, and is not a gull. From the first frame I thought it might be a swift, but definately not in the second frame. I think vulture is most likely in the desert.

I don't know, it looks to me like the 2.5D projection of a 3.5D Time Vulture.

While as aforementioned, my first post was just a simple "my hobby" one, just a few pages later, on NewPage 17, I was the first person to mention the possibility of Time Vultures on this thread: 8-)
KarMann wrote:
JordanTheProgrammer wrote:We are all being slowly killed by time http://xkcd.com/1177/

Better watch out for the time vultures, then. I wonder if they might put in an appearance?
Spoiler:
Image

Yep, cyclical.

Added: For the record, in case y'all have ever wondered, putting the URL tags outside the SPOILER tags is a bad, bad idea, and should not be done.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 13, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

Eoink wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer: The sand might care, but the ocean is to busy beating the sand into submission.


Indeed, were the sand to gather its forces for a concentrated argument about its existing out of the ocean, say, in the form of a sandcastle, I do believe the ocean, or even the sea, would have no trouble toppling their argument and washing it away, beating the sand further into submission. Which is interesting, because such an act by would, in fact, create more sand.


I remember reading some science papers about something like this. There was one that said almost the same thing you just did, but you said it much nicer. The paper's author was kind of an arrogant jerk.

All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.

Once, I had to write a Paper about sand for a college Coarse. It was Rough, but I did just Fine.


I fine these puns rather abrasive, they are even getting in my hair.


Just grit your teeth and bear it.


You don't need to be so abrasive in regards to this hairy subject.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Mon May 13, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

My first post has already been thrust into the Future in the Past so I won't do that again. Instead, I'll summarize it:
"Future" azule as "Past" azule wrote:We should commit a felony because the future is too hard to wait for. While we're forced to wait we might as well cure cancer, people. Oh, what the hell, might as well wait and enjoy ourselves too. Now who's got some ice cream for my head? buffygirl, I didn't even know you back then, but I didn't mean it like that. Right on my head you put it! I meant my face, of course. :roll:

:mrgreen:
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
Earthling on Mars
Morning
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:35 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere in the Solar System

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Earthling on Mars » Mon May 13, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

MOREVEGETATIONG

Image

User avatar
fhorn
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby fhorn » Mon May 13, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:Lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked, lurked.....
Joined.

fhorn wrote:"joined" = converted.


First two posts: twice on NP192, because I didn't know about editing.
edit: But now I do!
ETA: First computer: Osborne 1.
Last edited by fhorn on Mon May 13, 2013 9:15 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

User avatar
Davidy
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Davidy » Mon May 13, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:
Spoiler:
Ehrm, are you in any way related to Oedipus? Your girlfriend AND your mother are having your baby? Did you kill your father for this? Are we now moving into 'I'm my own grandfather'-territory?

Spoiler:
Ah yes, I remember many, many years ago when I was 23.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

User avatar
slinches
Slinches get Stinches
Posts: 1009
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Mon May 13, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
slinches wrote:
waveney wrote:Time to de-lurk.

As a birder, I think it is a bird of prey - perhap a vulture or kestrel. It is not a small bird, from its wing shape it spends a lot of time flying, and is not a gull. From the first frame I thought it might be a swift, but definately not in the second frame. I think vulture is most likely in the desert.

I don't know, it looks to me like the 2.5D projection of a 3.5D Time Vulture.

While as aforementioned, my first post was just a simple "my hobby" one, just a few pages later, on NewPage 17, I was the first person to mention the possibility of Time Vultures on this thread: 8-)
KarMann wrote:
JordanTheProgrammer wrote:We are all being slowly killed by time http://xkcd.com/1177/

Better watch out for the time vultures, then. I wonder if they might put in an appearance?
Spoiler:
Image

Yep, cyclical.

Added: For the record, in case y'all have ever wondered, putting the URL tags outside the SPOILER tags is a bad, bad idea, and should not be done.


I had no illusions that I would be the first to reference Time Vultures, but it seemed that everyone had forgotten about them now that one finally appeared.

Also, it seems I'm second in OTT age only to you so far, KarMann. My first post was on NP 20.

User avatar
Prosthetic_Lips
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Prosthetic_Lips » Mon May 13, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Here's something weird -- I was updating my profile (no, I don't know why), and I *know* I have only posted one message (now 2, counting this one). But, the forum was showing "Posts: 4" next to my first post.

What gives?


Edit: Never mind, I did a search and see that I *have* contributed (now 5) posts. I guess I even forgot myself in all of these NewPages !!

----

Also, I am a fellow TRS-80 user, but had friends with C-64s and Amigas. Used Apple II's a bit, but only for small things (summer camp, I think). I even went through a phase a few years ago where I downloaded a TRS-80 emulator and re-played some games that I used to have (on cassette, of course). It was a blast, but since I have less time now it gets really frustrating fast. It took so much more imagination then; now we just want to *SEE* everything!
Last edited by Prosthetic_Lips on Mon May 13, 2013 9:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Mon May 13, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

If it hasn't been said yet (my memory is shit), slinches avatar hattery is amazing.

Buffydashery does it again.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Mon May 13, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

i return for yet another bout of TIME.
I come and go, at the mercy of the outside.
days, and thus many newpages pass without my permission.
ketchuping is a futile task, only the mad would attempt it
My conversations here are brief, monogamous, and weak in comparison to the fora titans of language I crouch between.
Everytime I become something of a participant, instead of just an observer, I am unjustly torn away by duty of work or lack of sleep.
still I clutch to every pixel of sand, every link and every gong.
because short and relative, meaningless and frustrating my stay here is,
I am bettered by the experience.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Mon May 13, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

Prosthetic_Lips wrote:Here's something weird -- I was updating my profile (no, I don't know why), and I *know* I have only posted one message (now 2, counting this one). But, the forum was showing "Posts: 4" next to my first post.

What gives?

Well, it's pretty simple, really . . . .
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

Eoink
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:33 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eoink » Mon May 13, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Eoink wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer: The sand might care, but the ocean is to busy beating the sand into submission.


Indeed, were the sand to gather its forces for a concentrated argument about its existing out of the ocean, say, in the form of a sandcastle, I do believe the ocean, or even the sea, would have no trouble toppling their argument and washing it away, beating the sand further into submission. Which is interesting, because such an act by would, in fact, create more sand.


I remember reading some science papers about something like this. There was one that said almost the same thing you just did, but you said it much nicer. The paper's author was kind of an arrogant jerk.

All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.

Once, I had to write a Paper about sand for a college Coarse. It was Rough, but I did just Fine.


I fine these puns rather abrasive, they are even getting in my hair.


Just grit your teeth and bear it.


You don't need to be so abrasive in regards to this hairy subject.


Oh dear, I hope I haven't offended you, I'll do my best to smooth over the situation and speak with more polish in the future.

User avatar
Prosthetic_Lips
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Prosthetic_Lips » Mon May 13, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:
Prosthetic_Lips wrote:Here's something weird -- I was updating my profile (no, I don't know why), and I *know* I have only posted one message (now 2, counting this one). But, the forum was showing "Posts: 4" next to my first post.

What gives?

Well, it's pretty simple, really . . . .


Yes, I'm a doofus. :facepalm:

Nothing to see here, citizens, move along ... and wait for it.

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6902
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Mon May 13, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:My first post back on page 65 (was it really so long ago? :shock: ) was a bit of an essay, so I'll just link it here!

It contains:
ChronosDragon wrote:As a final note, I propose we rename the outdated, Outsider concept of a day to a quadragintioctonewpix. I've been informed by a reliable resource that quadraginti- is the prefix for forty, and a Day seems to have encompassed about 48 newpix (give or take a few fractions of a newpic). Who's with me?

And I thought I was original when I coined the word ‘icositetranewpix’ a couple of icositetranewpix ago. Image
The OTT might not loop, but definitely repeats itself. (As we keep repeating, very meta.)
Last edited by mscha on Mon May 13, 2013 9:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
apsmith
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby apsmith » Mon May 13, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

My first (and only till now) post was on p. 2271:
Ok, I've lurked but definitely haven't read every one of the 9000+ replies here...

Has it occurred to anybody that the doubling of the time interval after 5 days might be repeating? That is, after the 10th day (midnight tonight, right?) we may be getting newpix only every 2 hours? After the 15th only every 4 hours, etc? Randall could have a complete series of about 500 drawings that would effectively stretch out to the end of Time... after another month the newpix interval would be more than 5 days though, not sure how he'd handle that...


which since proved wrong, which I think makes it par for the course on speculation here on the OTT :)

And no, I haven't read every one of the 15000+ comments since then either. But quite a few.

1. and may I say this was tough to find, I had to resort to Google!

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:My first post back on page 65 (was it really so long ago? :shock: ) was a bit of an essay, so I'll just link it here!

It contains:
ChronosDragon wrote:As a final note, I propose we rename the outdated, Outsider concept of a day to a quadragintioctonewpix. I've been informed by a reliable resource that quadraginti- is the prefix for forty, and a Day seems to have encompassed about 48 newpix (give or take a few fractions of a newpic). Who's with me?

And I thought I was original when I coined the word ‘ikositetranewpix’ a couple of ikositetranewpix ago. Image
The OTT might not loop, but definitely repeats itself. (As we keep repeating, very meta.)

I do like your word better. Newpix feels like a very Greek word.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 13, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

Eoink wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Eoink wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer: The sand might care, but the ocean is to busy beating the sand into submission.


Indeed, were the sand to gather its forces for a concentrated argument about its existing out of the ocean, say, in the form of a sandcastle, I do believe the ocean, or even the sea, would have no trouble toppling their argument and washing it away, beating the sand further into submission. Which is interesting, because such an act by would, in fact, create more sand.


I remember reading some science papers about something like this. There was one that said almost the same thing you just did, but you said it much nicer. The paper's author was kind of an arrogant jerk.

All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.

Once, I had to write a Paper about sand for a college Coarse. It was Rough, but I did just Fine.


I fine these puns rather abrasive, they are even getting in my hair.


Just grit your teeth and bear it.


You don't need to be so abrasive in regards to this hairy subject.


Oh dear, I hope I haven't offended you, I'll do my best to smooth over the situation and speak with more polish in the future.


Honestly you were not that coarse , I was just out of puns :/ It really is quite embearrassing.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
slinches
Slinches get Stinches
Posts: 1009
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Mon May 13, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:If it hasn't been said yet (my memory is shit), slinches avatar hattery is amazing.

Buffydashery does it again.


It has been said at least once by me, but deserves repeating ad infinitum. :D

User avatar
RobIrr
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:17 pm UTC
Location: Salford. UK.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby RobIrr » Mon May 13, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Eoink wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Eoink wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer: The sand might care, but the ocean is to busy beating the sand into submission.


Indeed, were the sand to gather its forces for a concentrated argument about its existing out of the ocean, say, in the form of a sandcastle, I do believe the ocean, or even the sea, would have no trouble toppling their argument and washing it away, beating the sand further into submission. Which is interesting, because such an act by would, in fact, create more sand.


I remember reading some science papers about something like this. There was one that said almost the same thing you just did, but you said it much nicer. The paper's author was kind of an arrogant jerk.

All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.

Once, I had to write a Paper about sand for a college Coarse. It was Rough, but I did just Fine.


I fine these puns rather abrasive, they are even getting in my hair.


Just grit your teeth and bear it.


You don't need to be so abrasive in regards to this hairy subject.


Oh dear, I hope I haven't offended you, I'll do my best to smooth over the situation and speak with more polish in the future.


Honestly you were not that coarse , I was just out of puns :/ It really is quite embearrassing.


Now Now, don't rub him up the wrong way!
Image
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Mon May 13, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

To me, it looks like we're approaching another "cliff", an end to the path.


NBTW, I have had 2 dreams of the OTC o'r the past wip or 2. One was about the hash, and the other I think was arguing with you guys. Or something. Dreams. *scoffs*


EDIT to make it look like I write stuff on purpose. :oops:
Last edited by azule on Mon May 13, 2013 9:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4888
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Mon May 13, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

azule wrote:Nice rendition, HES. I like the js line. :) StratPlayer, good as always. Angelastic, welcome back, and nice rhyme. No haiku, though, eh?

HES, while I've got you here, what is your name: an acronym; "he's" without the apostrophe; are you a "she" or is the name significant: or is it hes...whatever that is?


Thanks! I'm a "he" but that's unrelated to the name. HES is simply my initials - nice and boring, no back story (although I hate my middle name and don't use it unless I happen to need a 3 character username)
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
htom
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 am UTC
Location: Twin Cities, MN, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby htom » Mon May 13, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
Valarya wrote:If it hasn't been said yet (my memory is shit), slinches avatar hattery is amazing.

Buffydashery does it again.


It has been said at least once by me, but deserves repeating ad infinitum. :D


Yes. The only question I have is are you being weighed, or going for a carnival ride?
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6902
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Mon May 13, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:I'll try a prediction again: I think we're overdue for dialogue. So within three changes of the ground beneath them (I won't guess in frames, because they take from 2 to 10 frames to cross any one patch of ground) one of them will say something.

That's a very insightful prediction. Image
I'll make a slightly riskier one: within three changes of the ground, we'll get a change of scene. (That is, there'll be a significant change in the landscape, or a change in camera position.)

Or not. We've had three “changes of the ground”. Nothing happened. Image
(If something does happen in the next newpix or two, you could still argue that one of us was right ... sort of.)
Last edited by mscha on Mon May 13, 2013 9:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

HES wrote:
azule wrote:Nice rendition, HES. I like the js line. :) StratPlayer, good as always. Angelastic, welcome back, and nice rhyme. No haiku, though, eh?

HES, while I've got you here, what is your name: an acronym; "he's" without the apostrophe; are you a "she" or is the name significant: or is it hes...whatever that is?


Thanks! I'm a "he" but that's unrelated to the name. HES is simply my initials - nice and boring, no back story (although I hate my middle name and don't use it unless I happen to need a 3 character username)

I'm still not going to be able to parse it as anything other than "he's."
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
slinches
Slinches get Stinches
Posts: 1009
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Mon May 13, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

htom wrote:
slinches wrote:
Valarya wrote:If it hasn't been said yet (my memory is shit), slinches avatar hattery is amazing.

Buffydashery does it again.


It has been said at least once by me, but deserves repeating ad infinitum. :D


Yes. The only question I have is are you being weighed, or going for a carnival ride?

I'm being weighed, of course. I'm a slug! :mrgreen:

Edited to respond in first person

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4888
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Mon May 13, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
HES wrote:
azule wrote:Nice rendition, HES. I like the js line. :) StratPlayer, good as always. Angelastic, welcome back, and nice rhyme. No haiku, though, eh?

HES, while I've got you here, what is your name: an acronym; "he's" without the apostrophe; are you a "she" or is the name significant: or is it hes...whatever that is?


Thanks! I'm a "he" but that's unrelated to the name. HES is simply my initials - nice and boring, no back story (although I hate my middle name and don't use it unless I happen to need a 3 character username)

I'm still not going to be able to parse it as anything other than "he's."


He's as in "he's that guy called HES"?
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Mon May 13, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
HE'S wrote:Thanks! I'm a "he" but that's unrelated to the name. HES is simply my initials - nice and boring, no back story (although I hate my middle name and don't use it unless I happen to need a 3 character username)

I'm still not going to be able to parse it as anything other than "he's."

Not going to "FTFY" him, though? Here, I'll do it.

FTFY, HE'S. :D


*kidding*
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
BytEfLUSh
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:15 am UTC
Location: Sombor, Serbia, Pizza
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BytEfLUSh » Mon May 13, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

KarMann wrote:definitely one of the earliest of the still-regulars to post in the OTT; the only ones around then I recognize as still posting occasionally lately are Goggalor & BytEfLUSh

I'm still mostly in lurk-mode, but thanks for the mention. :D

My first post in OTT was quite dull... NP11:

BytEfLUSh wrote:
Davidy wrote:I think the joke here is the time all the programming/hacking geeks are spending trying to figure this out. All will be revealed 4/1/2013.


*ahem*

You mean 2013-04-01?
Image

Image

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon May 13, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

HES wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
HES wrote:
azule wrote:Nice rendition, HES. I like the js line. :) StratPlayer, good as always. Angelastic, welcome back, and nice rhyme. No haiku, though, eh?

HES, while I've got you here, what is your name: an acronym; "he's" without the apostrophe; are you a "she" or is the name significant: or is it hes...whatever that is?


Thanks! I'm a "he" but that's unrelated to the name. HES is simply my initials - nice and boring, no back story (although I hate my middle name and don't use it unless I happen to need a 3 character username)

I'm still not going to be able to parse it as anything other than "he's."


He's as in "he's that guy called HES"?


I keep misreading it as "TES", as in The Elder Scrolls series. Thus, my brain pronounces it phonetically as "hess."

HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:And I thought I was original when I coined the word ‘ikositetranewpix’ a couple of ikositetranewpix ago. Image
The OTT might not loop, but definitely repeats itself. (As we keep repeating, very meta.)

I do like your word better. Newpix feels like a very Greek word.


Ehh, it's the OTT. We have at least 3 or 4 words for everything!
Image

User avatar
mathrec
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:30 am UTC
Location: Carlsbad, California
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mathrec » Mon May 13, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

I've been following the OTT since the first frame. I spent a long time lurking. I've been posting in the xkcd form for a while, but only when I have something to say. My first post in this thread was a comment on this frame:
Image

mathrec wrote:It may be off topic to comment on the One True Comic, but in the current Frame (350) it looks like Cueball is sitting in lotus position and waiting for it.

I'm sure it's just a transitional frame in his construction of the central structure...

It was when BlitzGirl's Boom De Yada came out that I immediately thought "Oh, I wish I were in there, but I haven't been saying anything!" Then I realized that I didn't just want to comment when I had something to say, but that I wanted to actively participate.
Last edited by mathrec on Tue May 14, 2013 4:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

dado
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:07 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby dado » Mon May 13, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Hello everybody! I have not posted before on this discussion, but I have been following the "time" comic, and the forum discussion about it.

Am I the only one to think that the vegetation on last panel looks like giant dead insects? On their back, and with their little antenna going up...
I can't help but seeing it this way now, I am not able anymore to see it as grass :o

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Mon May 13, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

too slow, bet I get ninjonged
Image
Edit: I guess not. but it's the bottom of the page, so I suspect I will get post mortem ninja'd
edit 2 (revenge of the edit):
dado wrote:Hello everybody! I have not posted before on this discussion, but I have been following the "time" comic, and the forum discussion about it.

Am I the only one to think that the vegetation on last panel looks like giant dead insects? On their back, and with their little antenna going up...
I can't help but seeing it this way now, I am not able anymore to see it as grass :o


responding because not getting responded to is no fun.
and ewwww. I hope not.
Last edited by ergman on Mon May 13, 2013 10:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
k.bookbinder
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon May 13, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

dado wrote:<snip>
Am I the only one to think that the vegetation on last panel looks like giant dead insects? On their back, and with their little antenna going up...
I can't help but seeing it this way now, I am not able anymore to see it as grass :o


Ew. :shock:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4888
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Mon May 13, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

dado wrote:Am I the only one to think that the vegetation on last panel looks like giant dead insects? On their back, and with their little antenna going up...
I can't help but seeing it this way now, I am not able anymore to see it as grass :o


And now I can't not see it that way. I wonder how long until GLR starts sneaking some hidden illusions in... of course, we'd pick up on them in a millinewpic


Would it be chocolately heretical to say I sometimes get so distracted by the OTT, I forget about the OTC? And then every hour I have a moment of "so that's why we're here"

ChronosDragon wrote:I keep misreading it as "TES", as in The Elder Scrolls series. Thus, my brain pronounces it phonetically as "hess."

This is acceptable
He/Him/His Image


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests