1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:16 pm UTC

dado wrote:Am I the only one to think that the vegetation on last panel looks like giant dead insects? On their back, and with their little antenna going up...
I can't help but seeing it this way now, I am not able anymore to see it as grass :o

Now that you point it out, yes. Curse you! (not really. You're welcome here)
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Cadellin

Postby Cadellin » Mon May 13, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

Long time lurker here. Anyone considered deriving 3D geometry from 1097-1121, where the camera zoomed along the pretty neat river?

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

Blitz progress: 511 of 608
The River Encounter, NP1057

Was gone for a few scores of timeframes, but I'm back now and surprisingly only about 25 Newpages have gone up. However, I think these signposts will start getting shorter, as it takes Time away from the Blitzing.

Recent goings-on:
Discussing distaste of the misuse of e.g. and i.e.; i.e., like this.

Random past-posts:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
SBN wrote:Image

Did someone say "fire"?

I thought Megan was just eating the rope and
Cueball was taking a shit.

edit: that was my 200th post?

Perfect! I don't see the problem with this. See below prior-posts:
Smithers wrote:
htom wrote:
Smithers wrote:He's definitely building a scale model of the whole scene on the top of the central tower.
He clearly never read Model Rail

Beaten.

You mean I was beaten to this post? Post a link or quote or something. Or were you about to post the same but beaten by this? I don't even know.
It looks like I was about a timeframe too early, anyway; everyone's all over the nesting theory now.

Also, as is traditional
Mr Moriaty wrote:So this is my 100th post in this thread...... A shocking amount.
I feel I should say something profound and in keeping with the decorum and level of this thread.

Titty Bacon

azule wrote:100th post, woot!

My historic statement follows:
Be excellent to each other. Party on, Dudes.

Also: penis-vagina.

*Clears throat*

Boobies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Blue-footed_Booby_Comparison.jpg

edo wrote:Has anyone suggested we give Blitzgirl the name that is above any other name given to women, that of "Megan"?

So am I pope or is it one of you two?
100th post!

papal (maybe) decree: penis.

And, of course, the original:
Helper wrote:penis

Smithers wrote:<snippety snip snip>

OT[TC] drinking game:
1. Get a bottle of beer/glass of wine/tipple of choice.
2. Start reading the OTT/waiting for it.
3. Whenever you get thirsty, take a sip.

Looks like I have a new favorite drinking game.
StratPlayer wrote:
Latent22 wrote:The time he has changed all frames to is the same as the timestamp when he fixed the mustard. .

It's probably a sign that I've been in our mad Randallville too long that "fixed the mustard" is a phrase that I immediately understand as to what you're talking about.

Also, if you google "fixed the mustard" (in quotes) the OTT is the first result.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon May 13, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

HES wrote:Would it be chocolately heretical to say I sometimes get so distracted by the OTT, I forget about the OTC? And then every hour I have a moment of "so that's why we're here"

Hm. Interesting question. It would be up to the Inquisitor to decide if a chocolaty punishment is necessary (I do hope so for I am always willing to show my devotion by helping others suffer for their sins). However, I think your question raises certain issues regarding the OTT and OTC. Mainly, can the OTT be the OTT without the OTC? Does this not suggest a divine affinity that one does not exist without the other?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon May 13, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

Cadellin wrote:Long time lurker here. Anyone considered deriving 3D geometry from 1097-1121, where the camera zoomed along the pretty neat river?

See my helpful animation - granted, this isn't the actual geometry of the river...maybe I should refine that using actual data from the pictures... *strolls off deep in thought*

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon May 13, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

My first post, page 25:
buffygirl wrote:It doesn't do ANYTHING on my iphone app ... :( Glad it occurred to me to check on my computer! Thank you Primus for the action-thingy.

I just sorta leaped right in, I guess! My next two posts were equally brief:

buffygirl wrote:Ok, it changes even if I don't refresh. This is creeping me out. I go away for a min and *BAM*.

buffygirl wrote:Oooooh! I just figured out why it's creepy! It's like Doctor Who "Blink" with the weeping Angels. ACK!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon May 13, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

It's Time (way past Time, actually) for another installment of:
250 & 500 Newpages Ago!

250 Newpages ago:
On April 18, StratPlayer wrote:
AionArap wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
AionArap wrote:Splendid idea about the rot13 encryption Caswallon, one can never be too careful.
As a matter of fact, to be extra secure, I encrypted my post twice. I propose we all start doing that from now on until the end of Time.

Excellent! Thank you for providing some illumination in this time of Illumi-naughtiness.

One only wishes to serve... waaaiiit a centinewpix.... you didn't encrypt yours at all did you?
Cheater :wink:

Why, of course I did! I encrypted it a full (n*2) times!

500 Newpages ago:
On March 28, Pfhorrest wrote:There's weeks and weeks of conversation happening here every hour. Whole discussions rise, run out their fleeting but passionate little lives, then wane and die in what feels like the brief moment in which I glanced away from the thread. In the time it takes me to read a new page, a dozen new posts have been posted; and in the time it takes me to read those and finally catch up, a few more. Once I finally catch up, I need only, say, check if another forum has updated or not, and come back to find more.

In the time it took me to write this post, two more posts were posted. And in the time it took me to preview/edit it, another two more. And there's another one as I preview those changes.

Doesn't anybody here work for a living?

And thanks to Vytron for reminding me of this!
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Mon May 13, 2013 10:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 13, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:My first post, page 25:
buffygirl wrote:It doesn't do ANYTHING on my iphone app ... :( Glad it occurred to me to check on my computer! Thank you Primus for the action-thingy.

I just sorta leaped right in, I guess! My next two posts were equally brief:

buffygirl wrote:Ok, it changes even if I don't refresh. This is creeping me out. I go away for a min and *BAM*.

buffygirl wrote:Oooooh! I just figured out why it's creepy! It's like Doctor Who "Blink" with the weeping Angels. ACK!

Yeah I remember those auto refresh days, was very weeping angel-esk, what got me was when there was a subtle change, makes you feel like you are loosing it!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 13, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:It would be up to the Inquisitor to decide if a chocolaty punishment is necessary (I do hope so for I am always willing to show my devotion by helping others suffer for their sins).

Well, aren't you just an irregular Mother Fudging Theresa. /sarcasm_mode

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon May 13, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

HES wrote:Would it be chocolately heretical to say I sometimes get so distracted by the OTT, I forget about the OTC? And then every hour I have a moment of "so that's why we're here"

as infinitely beautiful as the OTC is, the OTT is that and More.
edittofix. I think I've edited more than I've posted, and read my own posts more than anyone else...
Last edited by ergman on Mon May 13, 2013 10:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Cadellin

Postby Cadellin » Mon May 13, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Cadellin wrote:Long time lurker here. Anyone considered deriving 3D geometry from 1097-1121, where the camera zoomed along the pretty neat river?

granted, this isn't the actual geometry of the river...maybe I should refine that using actual data from the pictures... *strolls off deep in thought*

Interesting. If you do create a model I would be happy to render the animation for it; I'm a digital animation student so I can do Final Gather lighting, water simulation and so forth.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon May 13, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

azule wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:It would be up to the Inquisitor to decide if a chocolaty punishment is necessary (I do hope so for I am always willing to show my devotion by helping others suffer for their sins).

Fudging...what? There is fudge now? I was not told. I must ask the Inquisitor about this at once.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 13, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
azule wrote:

Fudging...what? There is fudge now? I was not told. I must ask the Inquisitor about this at once.

Fudge? What kind?! ... Wait who cares what kind, I WANT FUDGE :D
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 13, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
azule wrote:

Fudge? What kind?! ... Wait who cares what kind, I WANT FUDGE :D

Here and here.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon May 13, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

damn, this stretch of land is taking lONG

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

I think they've left the dunes for a rockier area. Perhaps still a desert, but closer to Sonoran (Arizona) than Saharan (Africa).
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon May 13, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:I think they've left the dunes for a rockier area. Perhaps still a desert, but closer to Sonoran (Arizona) than Saharan (Africa).

I wonder if they will ever meet up with the river again like they originally intended

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon May 13, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I think they've left the dunes for a rockier area. Perhaps still a desert, but closer to Sonoran (Arizona) than Saharan (Africa).

I wonder if they will ever meet up with the river again like they originally intended

How far from the river could they have wandered? If it went into a tunnel, they could be very far from it. If they have been following it along a ravine, how come the river was able to flow over the ridge?
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon May 13, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
ergman wrote:

How far from the river could they have wandered? If it went into a tunnel, they could be very far from it. If they have been following it along a ravine, how come the river was able to flow over the ridge?

and why is this such a desert if there's supposedly a river near by? shouldn't there be some livelier plants (or dead bugs)?
I think they veered off course by accident

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon May 13, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
ttscp wrote:
ergman wrote:

and why is this such a desert if there's supposedly a river near by? shouldn't there be some livelier plants (or dead bugs)?
I think they veered off course by accident

If the river went into a tunnel or underground, the country above could be desert.
Come to think of it, they are following the river upstream, it wouldn't have gone into a tunnel it would be coming out of it, and more likely would have come out in a spring.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon May 13, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

WALL OF POST, but shouldn't take too long to read.

Eshru wrote:Can a cake have a hat? I'd like to think so.

Edit: Birthday hat is a cop out.

My dear sir/madam, please let it be known that you insult The BuffyDashery if you believe it is capable of doing anything that anyone would view as a "cop out." :roll:
I hope you don't consider that a hat request...

StratPlayer wrote:How about a little pogeeketry?

That's sorta like poetry but from a basis of setting up an artificial construct, and then letting the art fall where it may (or not at all).

In this case, I came up with something that's four stanza of eight words with an ABAB rhyme scheme, where each line has nine syllables, and where the two-syllable word always is in the second spot of each line:
Spoiler:
The Waiting goes on; when will it end?
The river of Time flows through our life,
though nothing is done to make it bend.
We welcome each small joy, 'midst the strife

Each moment spent in the wait for It --
A droplet from a deep sea. Each swig
of water, so vile with salt, is spit
to return to the source, wide and big.

We cannot see what will come of it;
no meaning is found. Care? It does not.
Still, hurting comes too, from what gets hit
and missing some; still it ruins with rot.

But onward our wants drive us to wait
for knowledge and hope and long life, too.
Yet always we know that our own fate,
will someday end. Yes, that fact is true.

You might notice some familiar words... Let me highlight them:
Spoiler:

This is fabulous!!!

azule wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
azule wrote:
Coded Comments:
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:I say let's leave it at avoid double posting unless one or more of the posts in question contains an ONG

Code: Select all

DoublePost = ONG || false;

But isn't the expression:

ONG || false == ONG

always true? Perhaps a less redundant and updated version of the statement should be

DoublePost = ONG || (Users["buffygirl"].hat() != null)

Why would you run "ONG || false" for a comparison? Your second code, it could be argued successfully. :) You're right, it's just that I wanted it to resemble English a tad bit more for non-programmers.

Oh! This has me in it! Awesome!
I have no idea what it means.

slinches wrote:
htom wrote:
slinches wrote:Yes. The only question I have is are you being weighed, or going for a carnival ride?

I'm being weighed, of course. I'm a slug! :mrgreen:

Edited to respond in first person

EXACTLY.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon May 13, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

Cadellin wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

granted, this isn't the actual geometry of the river...maybe I should refine that using actual data from the pictures... *strolls off deep in thought*

Interesting. If you do create a model I would be happy to render the animation for it; I'm a digital animation student so I can do Final Gather lighting, water simulation and so forth.

Wow, that just goes to show this thread has people from all walks of life :D I have no real experience with animation in much capacity at all, to be honest I'm surprised my animation turned out as well as it did :P
If I get around to doing that I'll be sure to throw it your way and see what you can do.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 13, 2013 11:38 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Cadellin wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

Wow, that just goes to show this thread has people from all walks of life :D I have no real experience with animation in much capacity at all, to be honest I'm surprised my animation turned out as well as it did :P
If I get around to doing that I'll be sure to throw it your way and see what you can do.

I must have missed this said animation that you did, could you drop a link again?

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Mon May 13, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

Well, I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for them Outside, in case they come this way.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Mon May 13, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

@AluisioASG, ggh, ucim, BlitzGirl: re: the best way to play ketchup.
@BlitzGirl: re: My Side of the Mountain
@ggh: re: staying relevant while playing ketchup

Spoiler:
AluisioASG wrote:Just use this (or a variant thereof) to clearly identify your ketchup post.

I like that! I'll have to do that, thanks.

ggh wrote:
vvn wrote:Yes. Keep on keeping on.
You want details? Many of us are this way. Spoiler the wallposts. (Or don't, as custom dictates.) And, provide amusement.

And, the sword is also fum......

This.

Also, I know you may feel some pressure to read everything, because you blitzgirled (sorry, I can't remember the rules for capitals in the verb form) but let that go if it starts to cost you more than it gives you. If you've got limited time, enjoy a graze rather than forcefeeding yourself the whole banquet. Ask any foie gras duck: that's no way to have a good Time.

My pressure is more along the lines of "I've read *glances at page number* 592 pages, I can't let myself fall behind now." But yeah, time is limited, and I foresee myself falling further behind again. I'll have to see what I can do, since I'm far too stubborn to just let go but at the same time I see the sense of your words.

ucim wrote:Blitzing and mini-blitzing are Holy and Honorable Quests, which contribute to experiencing Time in its own time. Contributing to the discussion is also Holy and Honorable, as it is is what makes the One True Thread what it is. But it must be done because you want to, not because you feel you "must".

I would recommend that for a seaish condiment post, that the content be spoilered, and an unspoilered table of contents be at the top. Something like (what I did here):

Riverish (or Seaish) wall-of-replies:
  • fhorn: re. buttermongery
  • tman2nd: re. Blitzing - list of firsts
  • Dracomax: re. spoilering issues (ninjad)
  • mscha: re. giraffes as canonical units
Readers can skip or not as they wish, and there are hints as to what they would be missing. In extreme cases, you could use two "chapters" of spoilers, one for stuff of more import, and another for stuff of lighter weight. (More than two spoilers is probably too much in most cases. Also note that spoilers don't nest.)

If people generally like this recommendation (or some other), perhaps it can be sigposted (as a suggestion, not a command) to the present Questers (of which I think there are something like ten now).

Jose

I love the idea. I'll combine that with the ketchup sword and keep on going!

BlitzGirl wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:But are there people living in your hills?

Just a boy and his hawk. Technically there's a town too, but I don't think that counts as actually in the hills for the purposes of this discussion.

Weird. There's one of those on my side of the mountain, too.

Mission accomplished: reference gotten. :D (FWIW, ChronosDragon's original question wasn't directed towards me, but someone who lived in the Catskills. I couldn't resist the opportunity but wasn't sure how many would get the reference.)

BlitzGirl wrote:Don't worry about it, seems like most of the kerfluffle about blitzers has died down. Just tag your signposts, and use some spoilers, and you should be fine. :)

Yay, an answer from BlitzRandir! Indeed I shall do as you say.

ggh wrote:The flip side of this, is that those blindposting want to be read, and they can't force others not to skip their posts. I think that's why PhoenixRising was looking for some input - so that posting is a contribution.

Exactly.

Because I'm typically 10+ Newpages behind, I often have a lot of ketchup to post. On the one hand, I want to contribute to the discussion the way everyone else is doing. On the other hand... *glances at past ketchup walls and shudders slightly* I would really rather not bury someone under a wall that takes an hour to read and another 30m to reply to. And I know a lot of people here are going to force themselves to read it regardless. So... devil's dilemma, much? (It doesn't help my individual cause that my writing style isn't as witty or fluid as that of some of you. I'm a CompSci guy with a stereotypical CompSci guy's language awkwardness. And I'm painfully aware that makes my walls heavy reading.)

ggh wrote:Anyways, I guess what I'm getting to is that, I don't think that any rules should be set out for anyone (and I don't think there even needs to be any agreement - tastes vary), but if we in the (near) present got some opinions out there (in a chilled-out, constructive way, of course) as to what would make ketchup posts more inviting, firefox, more likely to be read, I bet it would be appreciated.

+1. Preferably the opinions in question wouldn't hamper someone's writing style too much, though, as I've enjoyed reading ketchup from (originally) BlitzGirl and (now) Vytron. The individual writing styles and takes on what they're seeing adds some very enjoyable flavor imho.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue May 14, 2013 12:00 am UTC

seriously, another dong for me? its quiet... too quiet....

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue May 14, 2013 12:01 am UTC

KarMann wrote:

Well, I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for them Outside, in case they come this way.

I'll let you know if they sneak by and make it up to the Phoenix area.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 14, 2013 12:04 am UTC

ergman wrote:seriously, another dong for me? its quiet... too quiet....

These newpix, even when lots of people are around and posting, often nobody can't be bothered to ong... The newpixbot had to save the newpix four times in the past icositetranewpix, more than it has had to for a long, long time.

mscha wrote:
mscha wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:I'll try a prediction again: I think we're overdue for dialogue. So within three changes of the ground beneath them (I won't guess in frames, because they take from 2 to 10 frames to cross any one patch of ground) one of them will say something.

That's a very insightful prediction. Image
I'll make a slightly riskier one: within three changes of the ground, we'll get a change of scene. (That is, there'll be a significant change in the landscape, or a change in camera position.)

Or not. We've had three “changes of the ground”. Nothing happened. Image
(If something does happen in the next newpix or two, you could still argue that one of us was right ... sort of.)

There's no denying anymore, four “changes of the ground” without anything interesting happening. We both lose. Image
Last edited by mscha on Tue May 14, 2013 12:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 14, 2013 12:06 am UTC

ergman wrote:seriously, another dong for me? its quiet... too quiet....
Spoiler:

Sorry, we are just to busy
Spoiler:
Waiting for it.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue May 14, 2013 12:06 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Cadellin wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

I must have missed this said animation that you did, could you drop a link again?

whop

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue May 14, 2013 12:07 am UTC

I guess I'll take up the dong-torch

lgw

Postby lgw » Tue May 14, 2013 12:11 am UTC

PhoenixRising wrote: [stuff - with a new hat!]

Yours is the one hatted Avatar I didn't quite figure out - all of BuffyGirl's creations are so awesome, but this one went over my head. An .. egg?

Hmm, I should make myself some sort of avatar, now that I think about it.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 14, 2013 12:12 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Cadellin wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

Spoiler:

Oh that one, yeah that was pretty awesome! If that was your first time, man you need one hell of a high five! Like the kind that will sting for the next 3 hours.

Cadellin

Postby Cadellin » Tue May 14, 2013 12:18 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Cadellin wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

whop

Yeah, sorry I had to take the link out because of the spam filter. But yeah; by all means. I'm currently doing some 3D animations for another film actually.

Theoretically, someone could write a MEL script that created a polygon plane; with the height of each vertex determined by the elevation of land in the corresponding frame. Sadly I have only a very limited knowledge of MEL. Edit: Oh and you would need to crop the one pixel border from the image too.
Last edited by Cadellin on Tue May 14, 2013 12:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue May 14, 2013 12:22 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
mscha wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:I'll try a prediction again: I think we're overdue for dialogue. So within three changes of the ground beneath them (I won't guess in frames, because they take from 2 to 10 frames to cross any one patch of ground) one of them will say something.

That's a very insightful prediction. Image
I'll make a slightly riskier one: within three changes of the ground, we'll get a change of scene. (That is, there'll be a significant change in the landscape, or a change in camera position.)

Or not. We've had three “changes of the ground”. Nothing happened. Image
(If something does happen in the next newpix or two, you could still argue that one of us was right ... sort of.)

There's no denying anymore, four “changes of the ground” without anything interesting happening. We both lose. Image

I agree. I had intended (really!) to include the next three changes. (Let's call them "shots" in the future - a single position of the camera, regardless of how many frames it includes.) But we had the really-bumpy-ground, and the two-bumps, and the tortoise-on-the-right, and the dead-bugs, and no dialogue. I missed that one.

StratPlayer wrote:How about a little pogeeketry?

That's sorta like poetry but from a basis of setting up an artificial construct, and then letting the art fall where it may (or not at all).

In this case, I came up with something that's four stanza of eight words with an ABAB rhyme scheme, where each line has nine syllables, and where the two-syllable word always is in the second spot of each line:

Spoiler:

You might notice some familiar words... Let me highlight them:

Spoiler:

StratPlayer, I haven't said nearly often enough - maybe never - how marvelous your verses are. I keep coming back to "Mad Randallville" almost as often as "Boom de yada." And this poem has an elegance that I very much enjoy.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue May 14, 2013 12:26 am UTC

Woah, when did the Book of Geekwagon get all this fancy CSS?

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue May 14, 2013 12:27 am UTC

lgw wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote: [stuff - with a new hat!]

Yours is the one hatted Avatar I didn't quite figure out - all of BuffyGirl's creations are so awesome, but this one went over my head. An .. egg?

Hmm, I should make myself some sort of avatar, now that I think about it.

He's a Phoenix, which is a bird, and birds come from eggs, and the Phoenix is about to burst out of it! See?

KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??

Postby KarMann » Tue May 14, 2013 12:30 am UTC

Cadellin wrote:
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Cadellin wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

whop

Yeah, sorry I had to take the link out because of the spam filter. But yeah; by all means. I'm currently doing some 3D animations for another film actually.

Theoretically, someone could write a MEL script that created a polygon plane; with the height of each vertex determined by the elevation of land in the corresponding frame. Sadly I have only a very limited knowledge of MEL. Edit: Oh and you would need to crop the one pixel border from the image too.

Just a minor FYI, that's a two-pixel border, last I checked.
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue May 14, 2013 12:33 am UTC

azule - btw, you did notice on your hat that the melty bit is actually a clock, Dali-style, right? :D

tman2nd

Spoiler Report 1

Postby tman2nd » Tue May 14, 2013 12:47 am UTC

Ahh!!! Spoiler!!!! :o
KroniK907 wrote:http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png on page 25

I was busy this weekend, so I have about 50 more pages added to my blitz. I will give an update on my progress soon.
Last edited by tman2nd on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”