1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
PhoenixRising
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue May 14, 2013 11:35 pm UTC

Image

Just a little ketchup this time (7 Newpages). I'm just making an early wall because there was a discussion I found quite interesting.

@azule, dreiarmumig, mscha re: ketchup styles
@higgs-boson re: male whininess
@BlitzGirl re: nostalgia (and sandcastles)
@Valarya, Dracomax, StratPlayer re: phoenix rebirth


Spoiler:
azule wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:On the one hand, I want to contribute to the discussion the way everyone else is doing. On the other hand... *glances at past ketchup walls and shudders slightly* I would really rather not bury someone under a wall that takes an hour to read and another 30m to reply to. And I know a lot of people here are going to force themselves to read it regardless. So... devil's dilemma, much? (It doesn't help my individual cause that my writing style isn't as witty or fluid as that of some of you. I'm a CompSci guy with a stereotypical CompSci guy's language awkwardness. And I'm painfully aware that makes my walls heavy reading.)

Your writing sounds good to me. I welcome your contrasting style. Not everyone can be a goofball or punmaster or witmeister. That might get old. :) And yeah, some of us will try to read it regardless of relevance to ourselves (because who knows if that's true or not).


Thank you for your reassurance. Indeed, it hadn't occurred to me that someone plain can stand out in a crowd of the 'net's wittiest. I guess the differences are part of what make us who we are. What was it ucim said...
ucim wrote:There is a time for every purpose under heaven... a time to speak, and a time to remain silent. Those times (and their reasons) are different for each of us... and as it was pointed out by our own BlitzGirl the First, they must be different for each of us, for it is that that makes us strong, mad, and glorious.

(Cue StratPlayer moment here)


higgs-boson wrote:
Eoink wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:I hope we get a forest. Though it could be hard to see them walking through one...


If Cueball trips over and falls in a forest, and Megan doesn't see him, does he still make a sound?


No. The common male whininess tends to converge to zero if no female sympathy/consolidation donator is in line of sight.


LOL. It depends on the male, actually; I'm more likely to shut up and deal with pain if a woman is around because I don't want unnecessary fuss made over something, and I'm more likely to drop a couple of choice words if nobody's around to hear. But that burn was awesome regardless of accuracy.


BlitzGirl wrote:I miss the Sandcastle.


*wistful sigh*



Image


ikr? I loved the innocence of the first little castle. And then the story got huge. It grew like a person would... and, like a person, lost some of its innocence along the way.


dreiarmumig wrote:Also, PhoenixRising, I love your way of posting ketchup posts, e.g.:
PhoenixRising wrote:<imgsnip>

@AluisioASG, ggh, ucim, BlitzGirl: re: the best way to play ketchup.
@BlitzGirl: re: My Side of the Mountain
@ggh: re: staying relevant while playing ketchup

<snip>

Of course the picture (which was, I think, created by AluisioASG) is really cool, but the summaries also make it very easy to decide whether I want to read the spoilered text or not, and it keeps the whole post short and neat.

Edit: Oh, and I have a question. How can you guys tell when exactly a post was made? I've seen people writing that a certain post was at so-and-so many seconds past newpix many times and have asked myself that for quite a while now. I'm a bit afraid of the answer because I might just be blind and it's really obvious.


Thanks! My ketchup method is a combination of suggestions from various people, so I owe y'all for it. I like it rather well myself now that I've gotten used to it.

To answer your edit, you'll need to enable seconds in the time format field in your User Control Panel. UCP -> Board preferences -> Edit global settings -> My date format -> make sure you get a lowercase "s" somewhere in there. I'd suggest checking out the provided docs for the date format. EDIT: KarMann said it even better than I did. GJ.


mscha wrote:
dreiarmumig wrote:Also, PhoenixRising, I love your way of posting ketchup posts

Well, I don't; particularly the huge spoilers. These tailor to the ‘skippers’, and it punishes the ‘readers’. (Gotta scroll way up to close the spoiler, or else lose track when you refresh.)


Sorry. :/ But I don't think I can please all of you, and if I spoiler each individual topic I'm often looking at a post worthy of spoilering itself. My walls are long seaish. So I guess I'll keep doing what I have been, in lieu of convincing my boss that an hour of morning ketchup is mandatory for me now.


Valarya wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
lgw wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote: [stuff - with a new hat!]

Yours is the one hatted Avatar I didn't quite figure out - all of BuffyGirl's creations are so awesome, but this one went over my head. An .. egg?

He's a Phoenix, which is a bird, and birds come from eggs, and the Phoenix is about to burst out of it! See?


I couldn't help myself any longer, BuffyGirl: While most birds do come from eggs, the Phoenix rises (instead of bursts) from ashes (not eggs). Image


While this is technically true, in a game I play one of the characters is a Cryophoenix, and when you kill her she goes into egg form for a few seconds before respawning. My avvy reminds me strongly of that, and that's awesome. :mrgreen:

Besides, a glowing fiery egg. Like, wow. What self-respecting Phoenix wouldn't want an egg like that?

tl;dr: I don't honestly care how well the egg matches or doesn't match traditional phoenix lore. I love it.


Dracomax wrote:
ucim wrote:
Valarya wrote:I couldn't help myself any longer, BuffyGirl: While most birds do come from eggs, the Phoenix rises (instead of bursts) from ashes (not eggs). Image
... which, I presume, is why the egg is glowing like a charcoal - it is becoming ash, so that it can properly release its phoenix.

Jose

Except they aren't born from eggs. they are born from themselves. and technically, I think there is only supposed to be one of them. (edit) it dies and is reborn. it's a symbol of renewal, and is linked to the cycle of the seasons as well /pedant


There is only one of me. At least, as far as I know. And come to think of it, I've never seen it specified exactly how a phoenix is reborn, and I've never been conscious of how it happens. But it seems reasonable for an egg to form from the ashes of the old phoenix, unless you prefer to accept the new phoenix spontaneously combusts from the ashes of the old. And somehow the egg strikes me as more elegant. (Might be a case of Occam's razor vs elegance here? I never did like that razor for anything but practical purposes - it took too much fun out of hypothetical situations by removing all the awesome possibilities - so I'll throw that out and go with elegance.)


StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
ucim wrote:
Valarya wrote:I couldn't help myself any longer, BuffyGirl: While most birds do come from eggs, the Phoenix rises (instead of bursts) from ashes (not eggs). Image
... which, I presume, is why the egg is glowing like a charcoal - it is becoming ash, so that it can properly release its phoenix.

Jose

Except they aren't born from eggs. they are born from themselves. and technically, I think there is only supposed to be one of them. (edit) it dies and is reborn. it's a symbol of renewal, and is linked to the cycle of the seasons as well /pedant


Yes, but I would assume that there are stages in the rebirth process. The fire from the initial phoenix turns it into ash, but then those ashes might have to re-assemble together in a form of ash aggregation. This would naturally occur and would create an egg-shaped form, I would think. Then once this egg-mass of ash becomes large enough, it begins to heat and glow, and as ashes from the old-phoenix continue to absorb into it, it reaches a critical mass and bursts into flames again, erupting and "hatching" the new phoenix.

I think buffygirl just happened to capture the image just as this re-aggregated-previous-bird-mass is about to erupt, birthing the new phoenix.

Makes perfect sense to me, and so you're both right.


I like this explanation. And it has the added bonus that everyone gets to be right. ;) Not to mention the further bonus of once again demonstrating Buffygirl's skill, capturing a fleeting moment in a beautiful, glowing way.


Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
ucim wrote:
Valarya wrote:I couldn't help myself any longer, BuffyGirl: While most birds do come from eggs, the Phoenix rises (instead of bursts) from ashes (not eggs). Image
... which, I presume, is why the egg is glowing like a charcoal - it is becoming ash, so that it can properly release its phoenix.

Jose

Except they aren't born from eggs. they are born from themselves. and technically, I think there is only supposed to be one of them. (edit) it dies and is reborn. it's a symbol of renewal, and is linked to the cycle of the seasons as well /pedant


Yes, but I would assume that there are stages in the rebirth process. The fire from the initial phoenix turns it into ash, but then those ashes might have to re-assemble together in a form of ash aggregation. This would naturally occur and would create an egg-shaped form, I would think. Then once this egg-mass of ash becomes large enough, it begins to heat and glow, and as ashes from the old-phoenix continue to absorb into it, it reaches a critical mass and bursts into flames again, erupting and "hatching" the new phoenix.

I think buffygirl just happened to capture the image just as this re-aggregated-previous-bird-mass is about to erupt, birthing the new phoenix.

Makes perfect sense to me, and so you're both right.

As I said in absurdly long Ketchup post, as long as Phoenixrising likes it, I'm only arguing out of pedantic obstinence. I think it falls under rule of cool. but in no piece of lore I've ever read does it mention an egg. Is it possible that a mid stage egg occurs so fast nobody ever saw it before Buffygirl's flash CG-ography? Sure. it just seems like an extra step that may or may not be unnecessary.


PhoenixRising loves it. :mrgreen: But I suppose it's an Inquisitor's job to be obstinate, particularly if said Inquisitor senses a chance to throw melted chocolate everywhere. So nbd.

Nah, I've not seen lore mention an egg either. But I've not seen lore mention any well-defined process by which a phoenix is reborn. Since this is the first real explanation I've seen and I like it, I'm sticking with it. Maybe that makes it can(n)on now, since I am a phoenix?

btw, I find it fascinating how widely ranged the discussion here is. I honestly hadn't given much thought before to how a phoenix is reborn; I just knew I loved this ancient symbol of rebirth. But as usual you guys are creatively looking at, and scientifically critiquing, everything. I think we've covered darn near every topic under the sun in these 600 pages... just one more reason I'm glad to be here.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

User avatar
pelrigg
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Tue May 14, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:My take on the neat thing is that she means interesting. Interesting perhaps because of it's novelty. Perhaps where they are from, there are no trees?

How about; they don't have this type of tree, or there's some interesting bark pattern, or even some new insects they've never seen before? (They are on a "Journey Of Discovery" after all.)
"Pretty neat" river; "neat" tree; are they in "Neat Land"? "Neato Land"? "Neato-keeno Land"?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Tue May 14, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:Image

It's Ketchup Time, Cmon grab your parens
we'll go to silhouetted, sstickfolk filled lands
with Cueball the bald
and Girl the Megan
The thread will never end,
it's caffeinesemencancerbabies-
Time!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 14, 2013 11:47 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
Kieryn wrote:My take on the neat thing is that she means interesting. Interesting perhaps because of it's novelty. Perhaps where they are from, there are no trees?

How about; they don't have this type of tree, or there's some interesting bark pattern, or even some new insects they've never seen before? (They are on a "Journey Of Discovery" after all.)
"Pretty neat" river; "neat" tree; are they in "Neat Land"? "Neato Land"? "Neato-keeno Land"?

Yeah good point actually. And also thinking about it, those poles they used for the sandcastle scaffold were probably made of wood.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9088
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 14, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

Maybe the GLR simply likes the word?

OtherComic Neats (#298 and #387):
Spoiler:
Image - - - Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Davidy
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Davidy » Tue May 14, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

lgw wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
jetpac wrote:
HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:And if you do math, you don't say you're doing maths... oh wait. :lol:


yeah, but, er, mathematics has an "s" on the end. You don't do mathematic. Anyway, a language doesn't have to be consistent to be correct :wink:

Good thing, too, since English is about as far from consistent as a language could be.

I don't know about that, I am sure given enough time we could make our own language that would be far less consistent then any sane person would even attempt to create.


You mean like Malboge ?


Funny thing about Malboge: it standardizes line endings on input. Even the most evil programming language could not tolerate platform-specific line endings - some things are just beyond the pale.

George Bernard Shaw, through Isaac Asimov, had some good ideas regarding the standardization of the English language. Published in The Golden Years of Science Fiction, 4th series in the mid 1940's, Dolton Edwards',"Meihem in Ce Klasrum" is (should be) a classic on the subject.
Spoiler:
http://english-zone.com/index.php?page=1114
Last edited by Davidy on Wed May 15, 2013 12:02 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Tue May 14, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Maybe the GLR simply likes the word?

OtherComic Neats (#298 and #387):
Spoiler:
Image - - - Image

In #387 GLR clearly means well trimmed.

edit:
*yong*
Image
I hope they nestle under the tree together for the night. anyway, the holidays call, but I will be watching silently!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6819
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Wed May 15, 2013 12:03 am UTC

Exodies wrote:I hereby record my appreciation of ucim's Chapter 3.
Thank you! :) And thank you to all the rest who have enjoyed and posted about my little Popical stories. They're fun to do, and even more fun to see appreciated.

k.bookbinder wrote:
ucim wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:The Tree is neat.
Does she mean to say that the tree is interesting or that it is well pruned?
It's served without ice.

Jose
Clearly, I can see that this must be true, for the GLR, Creator of Time, has indeed placed there a tree without ice. But what does it portent, if anything?
Well, what do you associate with trees, that is not neat? Walk under them for enlightenment.

BlitzGirl wrote:
patzer wrote:One True Cat.
Image

FTFY.

Brilliant!

Kieryn wrote:Yeah good point actually. And also thinking about it, those poles they used for the sandcastle scaffold were probably made of wood.
And therefore....?
Spoiler:
A witch! A witch!
spamjam wrote:I want yew guys to stop this immediately!
I pine for the good old days at the beech, but oaky d'oaky, I'll cork it.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5574
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 15, 2013 12:08 am UTC

HES wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
HES wrote:An excuse to play with Lego is the only reason I want kids.

Funny, I gave a set of lego to my father for his 65th birthday. Now he has a whole room in his basement filled with lego. With glass vitrines, dramatic lighting and everything. (And I am modding his models whenever I've got the time..)

Give me ten years, a career and a basement and I'll forget the whole kids thing

Sounds good. Hey does anyone know how to get grandkids without kids?

Ooh, a yawn with a nifty speech bubble! But I thought Cueball got eaten by the One True Cat, so how is he alive again?
:D
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9088
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 15, 2013 12:09 am UTC

He's not. He's been a zombie ever since the brain-eating amoeba killed him the first time.

Oh dear, looks like Megan is becoming weary of this Journey Era, too.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
htom
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 am UTC
Location: Twin Cities, MN, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby htom » Wed May 15, 2013 12:14 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Yeah good point actually. And also thinking about it, those poles they used for the sandcastle scaffold were probably made of wood.
And therefore....?
Spoiler:
A witch! A witch!
spamjam wrote:I want yew guys to stop this immediately!
I pine for the good old days at the beech, but oaky d'oaky, I'll cork it.

Jose


Fir GLR's sake, must we ash that you spruce this up!
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

User avatar
pelrigg
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Wed May 15, 2013 12:17 am UTC

Megan says
*yawn*

Well people have been saying that Megball haven't been seen camping out for the night, this might be the time. Or is this the "sleepy trees/flowers(?)" from 'The Wizard Of Oz'?


(In the last 10-12 newpages, we've had three folks add an "ong" to posts made after the hour [disclosure: I was one of them] and two people edit the "ong" to posts made before the hour. Does Custom allow "after" but not "before"; or should all five have been double-posts?)
Last edited by pelrigg on Wed May 15, 2013 12:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5574
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 15, 2013 12:17 am UTC

htom wrote:
ucim wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Yeah good point actually. And also thinking about it, those poles they used for the sandcastle scaffold were probably made of wood.
And therefore....?
Spoiler:
A witch! A witch!
spamjam wrote:I want yew guys to stop this immediately!
I pine for the good old days at the beech, but oaky d'oaky, I'll cork it.

Jose


Fir GLR's sake, must we ash that you spruce this up!

Who sparked off the pun war anyway?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
fatness
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:05 am UTC
Location: Sometime last week

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fatness » Wed May 15, 2013 12:20 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
htom wrote:
ucim wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Yeah good point actually. And also thinking about it, those poles they used for the sandcastle scaffold were probably made of wood.
And therefore....?
Spoiler:
A witch! A witch!
spamjam wrote:I want yew guys to stop this immediately!
I pine for the good old days at the beech, but oaky d'oaky, I'll cork it.

Jose


Fir GLR's sake, must we ash that you spruce this up!

Who sparked off the pun war anyway?

We should needle them.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9088
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 15, 2013 12:22 am UTC

Oh Randall... this is all my fault... the only way to stop this is to get my bag and my axe and...

Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
k.bookbinder
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed May 15, 2013 12:29 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh Randall... this is all my fault... the only way to stop this is to get my bag and my axe and...

Image


Be careful with that axe Eugene BlitzGirl.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:31 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:
Megan says
*yawn*

Well people have been saying that Megball haven't been seen camping out for the night, this might be the time. Or is this the "sleepy trees/flowers(?)" from 'The Wizard Of Oz'?


(In the last 10-12 newpages, we've had three folks add an "ong" to posts made after the hour [disclosure: I was one of them] and two people edit the "ong" to posts made before the hour. Does Custom allow "after" but not "before"; or should all five have been double-posts?)

Double-posts, though sometimes acceptable here, are against the forum rules. As such, if the OTT isn't currently active and you don't feel like letting the newpixbot get the ONG, you can edit it in if it's been a few minutes. If there's activity and the newpix hasn't been posted, make a new post for it so those online don't miss it.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6902
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Wed May 15, 2013 12:31 am UTC

I go Outside for a few icositetranewpix, and it takes me longer to ketchup than I was away...
One thing before I coma:

Spoiler: Image

(Edit: I can't even use the time unit I created myself, correctly. :oops: )
Last edited by mscha on Wed May 15, 2013 12:39 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
htom
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 am UTC
Location: Twin Cities, MN, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby htom » Wed May 15, 2013 12:32 am UTC

fatness wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
htom wrote:
ucim wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Yeah good point actually. And also thinking about it, those poles they used for the sandcastle scaffold were probably made of wood.
And therefore....?
Spoiler:
A witch! A witch!
spamjam wrote:I want yew guys to stop this immediately!
I pine for the good old days at the beech, but oaky d'oaky, I'll cork it.

Jose


Fir GLR's sake, must we ash that you spruce this up!

Who sparked off the pun war anyway?

We should needle them.


BlitzGirl wrote:Oh Randall... this is all my fault... the only way to stop this is to get my bag and my axe and...

Image


By gum, the Holly Axe of BlitzGirl, the apple of our eyes ... wait, it's BuffyGirl who has the axe!
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9088
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 15, 2013 12:34 am UTC

mscha wrote:One thing before I coma:
Spoiler: Image

Your Show is more seaish than the other Shows on my screen, so it didn't quite work on me.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:35 am UTC

mscha wrote:I go Outside for a few icositetranewpix, and it takes me longer to ketchup than I was away...
One thing before I coma:
Spoiler: Image

Mind tricks don't work one me. I'm on a MacBook, running Chrome. My open/close spoiler buttons are oval-shaped.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
mathrec
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:30 am UTC
Location: Carlsbad, California
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mathrec » Wed May 15, 2013 12:35 am UTC

fatness wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
htom wrote:
ucim wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Yeah good point actually. And also thinking about it, those poles they used for the sandcastle scaffold were probably made of wood.
And therefore....?
Spoiler:
A witch! A witch!
spamjam wrote:I want yew guys to stop this immediately!
I pine for the good old days at the beech, but oaky d'oaky, I'll cork it.

Jose


Fir GLR's sake, must we ash that you spruce this up!

Who sparked off the pun war anyway?

We should needle them.

Oh, fir teak's sake. Stop it with the figgin' puns olive you! There's no way this gingko well.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

User avatar
k.bookbinder
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed May 15, 2013 12:36 am UTC

I think we have discussed, before, time in Time. Megan is clearly tired. Could we be due for another Fade out? Perhaps a Fade is an indication of a new day in Time?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9088
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 15, 2013 12:39 am UTC

I look forward to a Fade, in the hope that it will reveal LaPetite once more!

Edit: 400 posts! Image Woo!

Instead of one seaish cake, how about 400 riverish cupcakes?
Spoiler:
Image
(Don't worry, they aren't all vanilla.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6819
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Wed May 15, 2013 12:48 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Be careful with that axe Eugene BlitzGirl.
Be even more careful with the bag!

mscha wrote:One thing before I coma:
Spoiler: Image
I love your data compression algorithm!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

unreal37
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby unreal37 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:50 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:My take on the neat thing is that she means interesting. Interesting perhaps because of it's novelty. Perhaps where they are from, there are no trees?


I agree. If you lived your whole life on the beach, and have only seen one river before ("there are other rivers"), and they've never walked that far before... then this could be the first tree they've ever seen. The small tree that she touched could have been unique to them too.

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6902
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Wed May 15, 2013 12:51 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:One thing before I coma:
Spoiler: Image

Your Show is more seaish than the other Shows on my screen, so it didn't quite work on me.

HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:I go Outside for a few icositetranewpix, and it takes me longer to ketchup than I was away...
One thing before I coma:
Spoiler: Image

Mind trickses don't work one me. I'm on a MacBook, running Chrome. My open/close spoiler buttons are oval-shaped.

Hmpf...
Maybe I can script something to return the correct “Show” button depending on the OS and browser (user agent string), so that everybody gets the correct fake button.
Or maybe I should just go and coma.


HAL9000 wrote:
pelrigg wrote:(In the last 10-12 newpages, we've had three folks add an "ong" to posts made after the hour [disclosure: I was one of them] and two people edit the "ong" to posts made before the hour. Does Custom allow "after" but not "before"; or should all five have been double-posts?)

Double-posts, though sometimes acceptable here, are against the forum rules. As such, if the OTT isn't currently active and you don't feel like letting the newpixbot get the ONG, you can edit it in if it's been a few minutes. If there's activity and the newpix hasn't been posted, make a new post for it so those online don't miss it.

Personally, I'd say, always post your ONG separately, or at least at the beginning of a post. Particularly at the end of a long post it doesn't look ‘right’ to me. But the only fixed OTT rule (which trumps OTF rules, no?) is that an ONG must be posted in the correct time period (newpix/timeframe/“hour”).
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
htom
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 am UTC
Location: Twin Cities, MN, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby htom » Wed May 15, 2013 12:56 am UTC

mathrec wrote:
fatness wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
htom wrote:
ucim wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Yeah good point actually. And also thinking about it, those poles they used for the sandcastle scaffold were probably made of wood.
And therefore....?
Spoiler:
A witch! A witch!
spamjam wrote:I want yew guys to stop this immediately!
I pine for the good old days at the beech, but oaky d'oaky, I'll cork it.

Jose


Fir GLR's sake, must we ash that you spruce this up!

Who sparked off the pun war anyway?

We should needle them.

Oh, fir teak's sake. Stop it with the figgin' puns olive you! There's no way this gingko well.

Old chestnuts, aspin for trouble. Or should I stop birching about it?
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6902
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Wed May 15, 2013 1:06 am UTC

azule wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Hey all, took a little hiatus since Sunday while I recovered from a bit of a fever type thing so wasn't able to update the forum database thing.
Anyway, it's updated now, and also I added a list of all the non-xkcd "outside" links posted to each user's page

I thought maybe this was to catch heretics. heh. But it's cool, thanks!
Not much of a bother, but newpixbot should get its own entry, if you could achieve doing so. :)

I am no Kieryn, of course, but that sounds far from trivial to me to get right.
How would you recognize a newpixbot post? You could look for posts by mscha with the string “Posted by newpixbot”, but that will cause false positives (like this message). You could look for the right formatting (surrounded by a [ right ] and an [ i ], I believe), which will cut back on the false positives ... unless I happen to quote a newpixbot post.
If you fix that, by ignoring the string within a quote, you get close. But in some cases, I've manually edited a newpixbot post to add an observation. Who gets the credit then?

(I don't have any philosophical objections, though, to splitting up the mscha and newpixbot posts. Au contraire, I'm a bit embarrassed by my second place... At least the #1 is well out of reach. (Thanks KarMann!)
In any case, according to my logs, newpixbot has posted 74 times. So I'd drop to 5th place, between StratPlayer and buffygirl. Newpixbot by itself would be in 80th place.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5574
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 15, 2013 1:08 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I look forward to a Fade, in the hope that it will reveal LaPetite once more!

Edit: 400 posts! Image Woo!

Instead of one seaish cake, how about 400 riverish cupcakes?
Spoiler:
Image
(Don't worry, they aren't all vanilla.)

Those don't look like River1 to me.

Hey aren't we due for an ONG?
Image

1Small

[edit] All this discussion of ONGing and everyone else forgot to do it! Also BlitzGirl hit 400 right after I hit 800 :D
Last edited by Eternal Density on Wed May 15, 2013 1:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 15, 2013 1:08 am UTC

htom wrote:
mathrec wrote:
fatness wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
htom wrote:
ucim wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Yeah good point actually. And also thinking about it, those poles they used for the sandcastle scaffold were probably made of wood.
And therefore....?
Spoiler:
A witch! A witch!
spamjam wrote:I want yew guys to stop this immediately!
I pine for the good old days at the beech, but oaky d'oaky, I'll cork it.

Jose


Fir GLR's sake, must we ash that you spruce this up!

Who sparked off the pun war anyway?

We should needle them.

Oh, fir teak's sake. Stop it with the figgin' puns olive you! There's no way this gingko well.

Old chestnuts, aspin for trouble. Or should I stop birching about it?

Come on, the oak's over. Time to stop willowing around in this hickory trickery. I pine for the days when we took all this cedar-ously. Now stop trying to alder the conversation.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6819
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Wed May 15, 2013 1:09 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:(In the last 10-12 newpages, we've had three folks add an "ong" to posts made after the hour [disclosure: I was one of them] and two people edit the "ong" to posts made before the hour. Does Custom allow "after" but not "before"; or should all five have been double-posts?)
It's all about time.

Consider the purpose. I think the newpixbot (which I keep thinking of as the pixelbot) uses the timestamp of an ONG post to determine whether or not the newpix is posted. Since confused computers usually spell bad news, don't edit an ONG into a post whose original post time is pre-ONGtime. Double post instead. ('Tis1 better to double post than to release raptors.) If your post is already post-ONGtime, then normal forum rules should be followed. An ONG is new material and should be a new post if the last post isn't yours.

There is a rule like this for hat requests; a confused buffygirl rivals a confused computer! :)

Jose
1The more pressing question is "should the t of 'tis ("it is") be capitalized or not when 'tis begins a sentence?
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6902
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Wed May 15, 2013 1:12 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I look forward to a Fade, in the hope that it will reveal LaPetite once more!

Edit: 400 posts! Image Woo!

Instead of one seaish cake, how about 400 riverish cupcakes?
Spoiler:
Image
(Don't worry, they aren't all vanilla.)

Happy 400th postiversary! Don't mind me while I grab a few handfuls of those yummie looking cupcakes...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
fatness
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:05 am UTC
Location: Sometime last week

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fatness » Wed May 15, 2013 1:17 am UTC

htom wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Oh Randall... this is all my fault... the only way to stop this is to get my bag and my axe and...

Image


By gum, the Holly Axe of BlitzGirl, the apple of our eyes ... wait, it's BuffyGirl who has the axe!

Uh...doesn't BuffyGirl have Mr. Pointy instead?

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6902
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Wed May 15, 2013 1:18 am UTC

ucim wrote:
pelrigg wrote:(In the last 10-12 newpages, we've had three folks add an "ong" to posts made after the hour [disclosure: I was one of them] and two people edit the "ong" to posts made before the hour. Does Custom allow "after" but not "before"; or should all five have been double-posts?)

It's all about time.
Consider the purpose. I think the newpixbot (which I keep thinking of as the pixelbot) uses the timestamp of an ONG post to determine whether or not the newpix is posted. Since confused computers usually spell bad news, don't edit an ONG into a post whose original post time is pre-ONGtime. Double post instead. ('Tis1 better to double post than to release raptors.) If your post is already post-ONGtime, then normal forum rules should be followed. An ONG is new material and should be a new post if the last post isn't yours.

Actually, newpixbot doesn't care. As long as it finds the current hash anywhere in the past 35 posts, it'll be satisfied. (So, the only way to confuse it, is by posting the newpix, followed by at least 35 more posts before :10. That hasn't happened yet, not even in the worst punning phases.)
It is in fact, important mainly to not confuse people. If you post newpix 1342 in a post from newpix 1341 (or 1341.97 or whatever), it looks like the one for 1342 hasn't been posted yet.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
pelrigg
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Wed May 15, 2013 1:20 am UTC

mscha wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
pelrigg wrote:(In the last 10-12 newpages, we've had three folks add an "ong" to posts made after the hour [disclosure: I was one of them] and two people edit the "ong" to posts made before the hour. Does Custom allow "after" but not "before"; or should all five have been double-posts?)

Double-posts, though sometimes acceptable here, are against the forum rules. As such, if the OTT isn't currently active and you don't feel like letting the newpixbot get the ONG, you can edit it in if it's been a few minutes. If there's activity and the newpix hasn't been posted, make a new post for it so those online don't miss it.

Personally, I'd say, always post your ONG separately, or at least at the beginning of a post. Particularly at the end of a long post it doesn't look ‘right’ to me. But the only fixed OTT rule (which trumps OTF rules, no?) is that an ONG must be posted in the correct time period (newpix/timeframe/“hour”).


That's kinda what I thought. When the site puts up the new at (say) 0900 UTC, the person posting on the OTT right at 0900 UTC (or a little after) can edit that "ong" in ("after" the hour) or double post, but the person with a post in place at 0845 UTC, should just go ahead and double post. Just wanna make sure I know what page to be on. Thanks....
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

User avatar
htom
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 am UTC
Location: Twin Cities, MN, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby htom » Wed May 15, 2013 1:22 am UTC

fatness wrote:
htom wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Oh Randall... this is all my fault... the only way to stop this is to get my bag and my axe and...

Image


By gum, the Holly Axe of BlitzGirl, the apple of our eyes ... wait, it's BuffyGirl who has the axe!

Uh...doesn't BuffyGirl have Mr. Pointy instead?

In her avatar she has the Scythe in her hands.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6819
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Wed May 15, 2013 1:23 am UTC

mscha wrote:
ucim wrote:
pelrigg wrote:(In the last 10-12 newpages, we've had three folks add an "ong" to posts made after the hour [disclosure: I was one of them] and two people edit the "ong" to posts made before the hour. Does Custom allow "after" but not "before"; or should all five have been double-posts?)

It's all about time.
Consider the purpose. I think the newpixbot (which I keep thinking of as the pixelbot) uses the timestamp of an ONG post to determine whether or not the newpix is posted. Since confused computers usually spell bad news, don't edit an ONG into a post whose original post time is pre-ONGtime. Double post instead. ('Tis1 better to double post than to release raptors.) If your post is already post-ONGtime, then normal forum rules should be followed. An ONG is new material and should be a new post if the last post isn't yours.

Actually, newpixbot doesn't care. As long as it finds the current hash anywhere in the past 35 posts, it'll be satisfied. (So, the only way to confuse it, is by posting the newpix, followed by at least 35 more posts before :10. That hasn't happened yet, not even in the worst punning phases.)
It is in fact, important mainly to not confuse people. If you post newpix 1342 in a post from newpix 1341 (or 1341.97 or whatever), it looks like the one for 1342 hasn't been posted yet.
See what happens when I think?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
PhoenixRising
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed May 15, 2013 1:25 am UTC

Image

Back to the Present!

@Dracomax re: the tail end of the phoenix discussion see what I did there?
@HES, BlitzGirl re: the (il-)logic of English
@Smithers, Dracomax (via summon) re: things in the same category as unmatched parentheses
@Smithers re: W@W
@ucim re: enlightenment from trees
@pelrigg re: doubleposting ongs
@mscha re: a sea-ish spoiler button and a gullible phoenix


Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:Personally, I thought we were being rather civilised as to our disagreement on the precise nature of the lifecycle of a fictional, fantastic creature. It certainly was no closer to a flamewar than any of half a dozen other arguments I've seen here. We disagree sometimes, and tease each other. just like your metaphorical family. Although, I'd say that it's the rest of the world that's crazy. I mean not following the OTC? that's just nuts.


Agreed. I thought you guys were handling it really well, more like an intellectual "k, let's go figure this out because figuring out stuff is cool" type discussion than an actual argument. And I was fascinated by it. I've definitely seen worse on here. Rules for blitzers, a few of the doublepost discussions, even a couple of times newbies have been frustrated by the modqueue. But I'm not going on, I prefer thinking of the awesome stuff on here.


HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:And if you do math, you don't say you're doing maths... oh wait. :lol:


yeah, but, er, mathematics has an "s" on the end. You don't do mathematic. Anyway, a language doesn't have to be consistent to be correct :wink:


English is living proof of that. :P Which reminds me of a remarkable essay I once found about all the inconsistencies in English - parking on a driveway, driving on a parkway, how some words only exist with -less suffixes, etc. Sadly I can't seem to find it again.

EDIT: this is close, but not quite it.


Smithers wrote:http://www.contractorfails.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/checked-tile-fail.jpg
I'm sorry.


DRACOMAX!

Where's the Inquisition when you need them. DRACO!

That tile. It burns. :cry:


Smithers wrote:Am I the only one here
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/ori ... 00ba5d.jpg
who actually Ws while at W?


Nope! I do! But that also means I'm always 10 Newpages back, so given the option I almost certainly would ketchup at work.


ucim wrote:Well, what do you associate with trees, that is not neat? Walk under them for enlightenment.


I propose the enlightenment has more to do with the birds that sit in the trees than the trees themselves.


pelrigg wrote:(In the last 10-12 newpages, we've had three folks add an "ong" to posts made after the hour [disclosure: I was one of them] and two people edit the "ong" to posts made before the hour. Does Custom allow "after" but not "before"; or should all five have been double-posts?)


I believe custom within the OTT is that double-posts are not only permissible but encouraged for ongs.


mscha wrote:Hmpf...
Maybe I can script something to return the correct “Show” button depending on the OS and browser (user agent string), so that everybody gets the correct fake button.
Or maybe I should just go and coma.


You probably could do something like that, but it would require some serious effort.

Then again, this comic is one huge nerd-snipe, so...

(If it consoles you any, you got me pretty good. I noticed the off-sized Show button but it looks enough like the other buttons that I tried 3-4 times to open it, and was on the point of cussing out my failbrowser when I happened to notice the posts below.)
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2232
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Wed May 15, 2013 1:27 am UTC

mscha wrote:
ucim wrote:
pelrigg wrote:(In the last 10-12 newpages, we've had three folks add an "ong" to posts made after the hour [disclosure: I was one of them] and two people edit the "ong" to posts made before the hour. Does Custom allow "after" but not "before"; or should all five have been double-posts?)

It's all about time.
Consider the purpose. I think the newpixbot (which I keep thinking of as the pixelbot) uses the timestamp of an ONG post to determine whether or not the newpix is posted. Since confused computers usually spell bad news, don't edit an ONG into a post whose original post time is pre-ONGtime. Double post instead. ('Tis1 better to double post than to release raptors.) If your post is already post-ONGtime, then normal forum rules should be followed. An ONG is new material and should be a new post if the last post isn't yours.

Actually, newpixbot doesn't care. As long as it finds the current hash anywhere in the past 35 posts, it'll be satisfied. (So, the only way to confuse it, is by posting the newpix, followed by at least 35 more posts before :10. That hasn't happened yet, not even in the worst punning phases.)
It is in fact, important mainly to not confuse people. If you post newpix 1342 in a post from newpix 1341 (or 1341.97 or whatever), it looks like the one for 1342 hasn't been posted yet.

Either way, confusion is bad. I prefer that the Newpix not be edited into an existing post. It's probably related to having driven across 3 states each of the last four days, but it took me way too long to be convinced 1341 was a real Newpix and not a spoof.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 94 guests