1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

StratPlayer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 15, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:A comfy chair sounds like just the thing for a smarting ass.

Clever girl...

StratPlayer wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:I can't believe I missed the molpy and the new slogan about the tree¹.

Come back sweet molpy
Cuegan and I missed you whilst
we all coma'd on. :cry:

¹ : which is neat

BlitzGirl wrote:Eggo my Lego and pass the semencoffeecancer! Image

Do you take syrup with that? :mrgreen:

And *claps* for ChronosDragon for that lovely bit of noir!

Man, now I want waffles...

Yes, you do. Or not. Well, maybe. But, yes! Er, no! Possibly. Or definitely not, I think. But, still -- perhaps...

They have to be chocolate chip ones though.

What, my waffling wasn't good enough for you? Oh, now he wants chocolate chips with his waffling! Shall I peel you a grape while I'm at it? Perhaps braid your nostril hairs for you, also, lest any of your precious chocolate chips get caught in them!?!?

*Damn kids*
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Exodies wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:ETA: Whoops. Sorry for the serial post. Tried to delete it, but another post came afterwards too quickly. That's what I get for being a smart-ass. :wink:

I don't think there is anyone here who gives a molpy's snout about serial posts; but if there is, identify yourself and we can request the comfy chair.

serial serial posts, I do object to. Should the guilty be dunked in cornflakes?

I suppose I should just kix the post I was going to make about my morning breakfast then. Cheerio, mates!

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Clever girl...

StratPlayer wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:I can't believe I missed the molpy and the new slogan about the tree¹.

Come back sweet molpy

Yes, you do. Or not. Well, maybe. But, yes! Er, no! Possibly. Or definitely not, I think. But, still -- perhaps...

What, my waffling wasn't good enough for you? Oh, now he wants chocolate chips with his waffling! Shall I peel you a grape while I'm at it? Perhaps braid your nostril hairs for you, also, lest any of your precious chocolate chips get caught in them!?!?

*Damn kids*

Well you don't need to put chocolate ships in them, I just have a chocolate craving today... How ever I would like a peeled grape...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 15, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

astrocub wrote:
HES wrote:
Exodies wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:ETA: Whoops. Sorry for the serial post. Tried to delete it, but another post came afterwards too quickly. That's what I get for being a smart-ass. :wink:

I don't think there is anyone here who gives a molpy's snout about serial posts; but if there is, identify yourself and we can request the comfy chair.

I suppose I should just kix the post I was going to make about my morning breakfast then. Cheerio, mates!

Accckkk!! Cereal puns!! This bran of flakiness will drive me fruit loopy!!!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

HES

Postby HES » Wed May 15, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Newspapers...what are those, again? And if they're new spapers, how can they also be old?

Well, we have old newpix, so why not have these new oldspapers things?

EDIT: a half-century! only fourteen posts to go until a small round-number milestone...
Last edited by HES on Wed May 15, 2013 4:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 15, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
Ebonite wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Old Farts and First Computers: My first programming experience was on a Texas Instruments TI-58 calculator my parents bought me as a high school graduation present. Wikipedia says it was "Turing-complete," so I guess that counts.

I had a c64, and we had to program uphill in the snow, both ways just to run a simple program.

I first learned FORTRAN programming in college on my university's IBM 360 mainframe. Back then, we used punch cards to run batch programs, and waited around 5-10 minutes (depending on how busy they were) before we got our results back on a printout. You could recognize a beginner because they carried their card decks in their hands, usually held together with a rubber band; "real" programmers had programs that filled a whole box of cards.

When the department faculty discovered I was really good at programming, I got welcomed into the "inner circle", and was granted access to the "Time-Sharing Facility". That meant I was issued a special account where I could actually use one of the console terminals, write programs in BASIC, and store them on a disk drive somewhere instead of using punch cards!

I've since had access to an incredibly wide variety of computers throughout college and graduate school, so I never really had any pressing need to buy one of my own. The coolest one was a Xerox 1108 Lisp workstation that was assigned to me for my dissertation research; it had windows, menus, and a mouse long before Microsoft and Apple introduced those features to the general public.

I finally caved and bought a "skinny Mac" - the original 128K Apple Macintosh - when it came out, to use partly as a dialup terminal and partly as a word processor. I ended up buying the development kit and learning how to program it as well, although I never really got into it. . .about the only interesting thing I ever wrote for the Mac was a text-based adventure game (in the spirit of "Adventure" or "Zork") for my friends to play, where they had to figure out how to find and rescue a female friend from the rubble of our severely trashed dormitory building and escape before the police arrived. :D

In case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm old enough where, in 1999, the company I work for put me on a special "on call" list for Y2K because I actually know COBOL. :D

FORTRAN? COBAL? Luxury! We used to dream of programming at that level. When I were a lad we had to assembly code using nothing but a football field covered in mastermind boards.
And after we'd finished, if we had but one yellow peg out of place, our dad would beat us with old newspapers and lecture us for several weeks about Ada Lovelace and send us to bed with no supper.

Mastermind boards!?!? You were pampered and coddled!! All we had were bare bits we had to carry by hand. Big rusty things the size of cannonballs, they were, and if we so much as whimpered, we were beaten with cobalt rods and sent to live in Siberia, and we were still expected to make the cannonballs compile while we were gone, using carrier pigeons!

Well, if we are talking about pre-electronic computers, my first computer was an abacus. although I did here about this guy who used an infinite sandy expanse and a bunch of rocks to simulate the universe...
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed May 15, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
astrocub wrote:
HES wrote:
Exodies wrote:

The Cap'n Crunch of puns. I'm guessing BlitzGirl's reaction to these will be a bit Frosties.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed May 15, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
astrocub wrote:
HES wrote:
Exodies wrote:

Stop the hate! Cereal puns are grrrrrrrrrreat!
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 15, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Clever girl...

StratPlayer wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Spoiler:

Come back sweet molpy

*Damn kids*

Well you don't need to put chocolate ships in them, I just have a chocolate craving today... How ever I would like a peeled grape...

*sigh*

Alright... Here ya go:

But you're braiding your own damn nostril hair!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 15, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

I swear, y'all are trying to turn me into a cereal killer: Image
At least this one wasn't my fault! I promise!
(My apuncolypses seem to be triggered by OTC-related material.)

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Newspapers...what are those, again? And if they're new spapers, how can they also be old?

Well, we have old newpix, so why not have these new oldspapers things?

Hmm. That makes sense, I suppose, though the newpix are always new to some set of eyes, including those of our past selves, so are they ever truly old?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 15, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Clever girl...

StratPlayer wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Spoiler:

Come back sweet molpy

*Damn kids*

*sigh*

Alright... Here ya go:

But you're braiding your own damn nostril hair!

I can live with that, but don't forget to sit back and listen to the cereal that talks back!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 15, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
Ebonite wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Old Farts and First Computers: My first programming experience was on a Texas Instruments TI-58 calculator my parents bought me as a high school graduation present. Wikipedia says it was "Turing-complete," so I guess that counts.

I had a c64, and we had to program uphill in the snow, both ways just to run a simple program.

I first learned FORTRAN programming in college on my university's IBM 360 mainframe. Back then, we used punch cards to run batch programs, and waited around 5-10 minutes (depending on how busy they were) before we got our results back on a printout. You could recognize a beginner because they carried their card decks in their hands, usually held together with a rubber band; "real" programmers had programs that filled a whole box of cards.

When the department faculty discovered I was really good at programming, I got welcomed into the "inner circle", and was granted access to the "Time-Sharing Facility". That meant I was issued a special account where I could actually use one of the console terminals, write programs in BASIC, and store them on a disk drive somewhere instead of using punch cards!

I've since had access to an incredibly wide variety of computers throughout college and graduate school, so I never really had any pressing need to buy one of my own. The coolest one was a Xerox 1108 Lisp workstation that was assigned to me for my dissertation research; it had windows, menus, and a mouse long before Microsoft and Apple introduced those features to the general public.

I finally caved and bought a "skinny Mac" - the original 128K Apple Macintosh - when it came out, to use partly as a dialup terminal and partly as a word processor. I ended up buying the development kit and learning how to program it as well, although I never really got into it. . .about the only interesting thing I ever wrote for the Mac was a text-based adventure game (in the spirit of "Adventure" or "Zork") for my friends to play, where they had to figure out how to find and rescue a female friend from the rubble of our severely trashed dormitory building and escape before the police arrived. :D

In case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm old enough where, in 1999, the company I work for put me on a special "on call" list for Y2K because I actually know COBOL. :D

FORTRAN? COBAL? Luxury! We used to dream of programming at that level. When I were a lad we had to assembly code using nothing but a football field covered in mastermind boards.
And after we'd finished, if we had but one yellow peg out of place, our dad would beat us with old newspapers and lecture us for several weeks about Ada Lovelace and send us to bed with no supper.

Mastermind boards!?!? You were pampered and coddled!! All we had were bare bits we had to carry by hand. Big rusty things the size of cannonballs, they were, and if we so much as whimpered, we were beaten with cobalt rods and sent to live in Siberia, and we were still expected to make the cannonballs compile while we were gone, using carrier pigeons!

Well, if we are talking about pre-electronic computers, my first computer was an abacus. although I did here about this guy who used an infinite sandy expanse and a bunch of rocks to simulate the universe...

Well, when I said mastermind boards, I meant ones we had to fashion ourselves out of granite using nothing but toothpicks. And the pegs of course we made from our own leg bones. But you know, we got by all right...

EDIT: reference for those confused by the nature of this conversation
Last edited by Kieryn on Wed May 15, 2013 4:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed May 15, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:I'm guessing BlitzGirl's reaction to these will be a bit Frosties.

BlitzGirl wrote:I swear, y'all are trying to turn me into a cereal killer: Image

Called it. 8-) When she's done pummeling us (me), we'll only be a mushed pile of Cupcake Pebbles.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 15, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Valarya wrote:I'm guessing BlitzGirl's reaction to these will be a bit Frosties.

BlitzGirl wrote:I swear, y'all are trying to turn me into a cereal killer: Image

Called it. 8-) When she's done pummeling us (me), we'll only be a mushed pile of Cupcake Pebbles.

No more like cereal powder at the bottom of the box.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 15, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

Still delicious!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 15, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:I was going to explain why the cow stories were funny.
Here's one of them
Spoiler:
A cow goes into a pharmacy and asks for a loaf of black bread. The pharmacist says "I'm sorry, we only have white bread". Says the cow "doesn't matter, I came on my bike"

If you didn't laugh, consider this:
You accepted a cow going into a pharmacy
You accepted a cow talking
You accepted the possibility of buying bread in a pharmacy
You accepted that being on your bike was a suitable reason for not minding having white bread when you wanted black

Yet you can't accept that this is a joke.
That is mind boggling and that's what makes it funny.

Sorry. I just find the cow story udderly ridiculous, and just don't see how you can milk any humor out of it...

HES

Postby HES » Wed May 15, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

At least this one wasn't my fault! I promise!

My bad. Won't happen Alpen.
He/Him/His Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 15, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Here's one of them
Spoiler:
A cow goes into a pharmacy and asks for a loaf of black bread. The pharmacist says "I'm sorry, we only have white bread". Says the cow "doesn't matter, I came on my bike"

You accepted that being on your bike was a suitable reason for not minding having white bread when you wanted black

Sorry. I just find the cow story udderly ridiculous, and just don't see how you can milk any humor out of it...

My local pharmacy sells bread. But you have to get it from the shelf on your own. If you ask them for some bread, they'll tell you where it is, though.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 15, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

Snap, crackle, ONG:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 15, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Still delicious!

Reminds me of my do(n)g and the trashcan last week.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 15, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Here's one of them
Spoiler:

My local pharmacy sells bread. But you have to get it from the shelf on your own. If you ask them for some bread, they'll tell you where it is, though.

Uhhh, not trying to start a beef with you, but maybe I'm moooving a little too fast. Let me say it again: "Sorry, I just find the cow's story udderly ridiculous and just don't see how you can milk any humor out of it..."

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 15, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

This is Hal you're talking to, remember? Perhaps humor does not compute.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 15, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:This is Hal you're talking to, remember? Perhaps humor does not compute.

I think they for got his humoor chip.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Here's one of them
Spoiler:

Uhhh, not trying to start a beef with you, but maybe I'm moooving a little too fast. Let me say it again: "Sorry, I just find the cow's story udderly ridiculous and just don't see how you can milk any humor out of it..."

Oh good lord I didn't even catch those puns the first time around. I suppose I was too focused on the fact that pharmacies do occasionally offer bread.
BlitzGirl wrote:This is Hal you're talking to, remember? Perhaps humor does not compute.

Perhaps it does not.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 15, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

I wish puns were heretical. unfortunatly, they are just in poor taste Therefore, I must misquote Hamlet and say unto you, "Get thee to a punnery!"
“have i gone mad?

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed May 15, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:But my main pondering involves lurkers who're signed in. Are they people who are working up the courage to say something? Are they bots? Are they bread crumbs left for us as a clue? Or are they an order of monks, blitzing in silence, but wanting us to feel their solidarity with us?
They are visitors to... how shall I say it... "other threads" in this forum. (Now I feel I have to bathe again.)

Jose

Some (one) visitor is a monk. Mostly in silence, trying frantically to catch up again. But posting when it seems appropriate.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:
ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:But my main pondering involves lurkers who're signed in. Are they people who are working up the courage to say something? Are they bots? Are they bread crumbs left for us as a clue? Or are they an order of monks, blitzing in silence, but wanting us to feel their solidarity with us?
They are visitors to... how shall I say it... "other threads" in this forum. (Now I feel I have to bathe again.)

Jose

Some (one) visitor is a monk. Mostly in silence, trying frantically to catch up again. But posting when it seems appropriate.

Good luck, and godspeed, monk!
ETA: Oh wait maybe you've caught up
Now I feel silly
Last edited by HAL9000 on Wed May 15, 2013 5:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 15, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

Hal must be having technical difficulties...surely he knows the correct term is Randallspeed.

Dracomax wrote:I wish puns were heretical. unfortunatly, they are just in poor taste <snip>

I think cereal is pretty tasty, actually. So is milk. Trees...it depends. Bags...no.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed May 15, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
edfel wrote:(do American people also measure steepiness in %? or is there a "miles a 10lb circular stone would roll during 0.78 minutes" unit?)
Nope, it's %. Rise / run. I know "we" (I for one welcome our metric system overlords) screw up some units pretty bad, but that one's pretty hard to obfuscate.
I've heard Americans also use feet per mile4 (for railroads anyway), but I don't know if it's mile of track, or mile of horizontal distance. Feet per chain is also used... which is interesting because "chain" is itself a variable unit.

All these odd units have their place, and I found a wonderful website which explained all of this, and why certain arcane units were actually far superior (in their realm) than any others, including metric. Alas, I have lost the bookmark, and have been unable to find it since.

Jose
4... which is rise over run2, but not quite "unitless" as there is a hidden conversion factor.
2if we aren't talking about "run of track" but rather, "run of horizontal distance"

Also, for rivers (which is pertinent?) I've heard of so many inches/feet of drop per mile--one inch per mile is a very slow river, 3-4 inches per mile is probably about average, much over a foot or two per mile and you get rapids, or even waterfalls. One mile per mile is almost certainly some kind of waterfall.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

bmonk

Postby bmonk » Wed May 15, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
bmonk wrote:
ucim wrote:

Jose

Good luck, and godspeed, monk!
ETA: Oh wait maybe you've caught up
Now I feel silly

Not to worry. I'm still about page 598. :oops:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 15, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

I always figured that for trains, rise/miles of track makes more sense, because there is a limit to how much grade a train can handle, and you can add miles of track to decrease the rate of climb, as opposed to going straight up a rise.
“have i gone mad?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:
ucim wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
edfel wrote:(do American people also measure steepiness in %? or is there a "miles a 10lb circular stone would roll during 0.78 minutes" unit?)
Nope, it's %. Rise / run. I know "we" (I for one welcome our metric system overlords) screw up some units pretty bad, but that one's pretty hard to obfuscate.
I've heard Americans also use feet per mile4 (for railroads anyway), but I don't know if it's mile of track, or mile of horizontal distance. Feet per chain is also used... which is interesting because "chain" is itself a variable unit.

All these odd units have their place, and I found a wonderful website which explained all of this, and why certain arcane units were actually far superior (in their realm) than any others, including metric. Alas, I have lost the bookmark, and have been unable to find it since.

Jose
4... which is rise over run2, but not quite "unitless" as there is a hidden conversion factor.
2if we aren't talking about "run of track" but rather, "run of horizontal distance"

Also, for rivers (which is pertinent?) I've heard of so many inches/feet of drop per mile--one inch per mile is a very slow river, 3-4 inches per mile is probably about average, much over a foot or two per mile and you get rapids, or even waterfalls. One mile per mile is almost certainly some kind of waterfall.

With an average downward slope of 45°, that would be a pretty scary river to be near.
EDIT: Satan post! Satan post! (This is my 666th post)
Spoiler:
Last edited by HAL9000 on Wed May 15, 2013 8:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 15, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
bmonk wrote:
ucim wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

Jose

With an average downward slope of 45°, that would be a pretty scary river to be near.

It would be an interesting river to kayak. in the ancient Chinese sense of the word "interesting"
“have i gone mad?

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 15, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:And how does that help, exactly? Image

Unspoiler and enlarge the sigcouragement. It's also kind of an apology ('cuz I was, admittedly, one of those opposed to overly lengthy posts [not necessarily just Blitzposts] without tables of contents and/or spoilers).

Well, to me it reads like a passive-aggressive way of saying “don't post lengthy BlitzPosts”. But I'll shut up now, I don't want to revive this discussion ... again.

Good point. I hadn't noticed it could be read like that. I'll fix it.

Thanks! That reads (edit: read; you seem to have removed it) like a much more positive message. :)

Dracomax wrote:Let me know if anyone can improve my sigcouragement... I meant it to convey a sense of "think before you post" but with 300 character limit, I'm not sure I got that across the way I intended.

I'm glad you're asking.
I think it's terrible. We, in the present, are the cool kids and can set the rules for those losers stuck in the past? Also, like StratPlayer noted, why aren't we bound by such rules? We repeat ourselves all the time here in the OTT. (Me right now, for instance. :? )
Finally, you may not like to read something that was already said a long time before, but I do – reminiscing like: aww, we were so naive back when we thought Time was fading away.
You can skip BlitzPosts that you don't like, but I can't read them if you've bullied people into not reading them.

I think you should go and pelt yourself with slightly expired M&M's. Peanut M&M's.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:33 pm UTC

mscha wrote:An just when I was beginning to wonder how many frames we'd had to suffer enjoy watching Cuegan sleep... Now we have the next frame to look forward to again.
(Of course, it could be a red herring, like the appearances of La Petite.)

But a red herring wouldn't be coming out of the ground. It would need water. Or caffeinatedsemenbaconicebaby.

BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:OMR, they killed Cueball!

You mustards!

Started to quote mscha's perfect reference, then saw Blitzgirl's perfect answer.

dreiarmumig wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
dreiarmumig wrote:(Or maybe I'm trying to spawn yet another religious splinter group.)

How do you know if a splinter is religious? I should have taken a closer look at that last one I pulled from my finger.

You can tell by whether it's made of aubronwood.[/spoiler]

Groan. That's terrible. And by terrible I mean wonderful.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 15, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:
ucim wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

Jose

I personally measure gradient between points (A,B) using the differential of relative1 gravitational force acceleration vector (unit [Ni,Nj,Nk] [m/s2i,m/s2j,m/s2k]) over the radial distance from point A to point B (in meters) at the elevation of point A from the earth's center of gravity, so that would be in [Ni,Nj,Nk] [m/s2i,m/s2j,m/s2k]/m = [s-2,s-2,s-2]

1 The force acceleration vector at point P is always measured using x-axis parallel to the great circle through the point P and the earth's gravitational-rotation axis' pointing towards the anticlockwise pole, the y-axis is perpendicular to that from the center of the earth out to space and the z-axis is the perpendicular of those two using the right-hand rule.

Edit: unit fix. Sincere apologies. I need to go back to school :(

Edit 2: unit reduction.

Edit 3: Thinking about my convention. I think I kind of lose some detail in not making the distance between points A and B also a vector. Note to self: Recheck all of my personal earth-based unit standards.
Last edited by Kieryn on Wed May 15, 2013 5:53 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 15, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

While y'all are punning away, I just wanted to note that, unfortunately, things have quieted down on the molpy-sparrow-raptor front.
There haven't been any non-Cuegan pixel changes since the bird flew away. :(
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Wed May 15, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Well, mustard. The complainers have forced Vytron to blitz in silence!

I hope he begins signposting once more when he sees how quickly we moved on from that topic.

I hope so too. I added a little sigcouragement. Maybe that will help.
<snip> I'll un-spoiler and enlarge mine. <snip>

It's fun to read this post without any context. :mrgreen:

Ebonite wrote:<snip> In case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm old enough where, in 1999, the company I work for put me on a special "on call" list for Y2K because I actually know COBOL. :D

Hey, I'm 20 and I know Cobol! It was still taught last year in my college.
But I must admit it was not a healthy experience. In fact, I prefer programming in assembly. It's as efficient, and it's funnier.

StratPlayer wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
Ebonite wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed May 15, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

After some time (I was kinda sick the last days) another diagramm of this thread. Nothing fancy and I believe it has been done before, but now it is updated (up to post 23000 or so):
Attachments
Postingdata.png
Posting data
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 15, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:And how does that help, exactly? Image

Unspoiler and enlarge the sigcouragement. It's also kind of an apology ('cuz I was, admittedly, one of those opposed to overly lengthy posts [not necessarily just Blitzposts] without tables of contents and/or spoilers).

Well, to me it reads like a passive-aggressive way of saying “don't post lengthy BlitzPosts”. But I'll shut up now, I don't want to revive this discussion ... again.

Good point. I hadn't noticed it could be read like that. I'll fix it.

Thanks! That reads (edit: read; you seem to have removed it) like a much more positive message. :)

Dracomax wrote:Let me know if anyone can improve my sigcouragement... I meant it to convey a sense of "think before you post" but with 300 character limit, I'm not sure I got that across the way I intended.

I'm glad you're asking.
I think it's terrible. We, in the present, are the cool kids and can set the rules for those losers stuck in the past? Also, like StratPlayer noted, why aren't we bound by such rules? We repeat ourselves all the time here in the OTT. (Me right now, for instance. :? )
Finally, you may not like to read something that was already said a long time before, but I do – reminiscing like: aww, we were so naive back when we thought Time was fading away.
You can skip BlitzPosts that you don't like, but I can't read them if you've bullied people into not reading them.

I think you should go and pelt yourself with slightly expired M&M's. Peanut M&M's.

When I asked about it, it was entirely in the field of whether I was saying what I wanted to say, and not what you think I should say.

I disagree with you, and not only that, but you are implying something entirely different than what I said. The only "rule" I "imposed" is to think about what you post, and even that is a suggestion. If you don't like it, tell people to ignore the suggestion.

I can't help it if you don't think about what you post. I certainly do. Then I usually post anyway. I don't think it is in anyway unacceptable or even inadvisable to ask that people who we can't even respond to in a reasonable or timely fashion think about what they post, and how it will be received.

And if you want to wallow in nostalgia, there's nothing stopping you from blitzing. I'll miss you, much as you infuriate me over this issue, but If it makes you happy, go for it! I'll even cheer you on. We just won't be able to have any kind of reasonable conversation until you catch back up.

and now that you have me ranting about something I really didn't want to get drawn back into, I'll stop. No more talking about blitzing unless somebody else talks to me about it. I hope.
“have i gone mad?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”