1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Exodies

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Fri May 17, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:Back from coma, blindposting, just to say I've seen they wanted to build a raft :mrgreen: Since I did not blitz, I do not know, but I guess you guys are discussing about whether The Great Randall is reading the OTT or not...

I will not ketchup today, not until next Tuesday... Because today I get married (the civil mariage, so little ceremony with little people, the religious mariage is next month) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So, I hope you will have a nice week-end and I hope the end of the OTC will wait for me, after all I have waited for it! :mrgreen:

You're getting married! Are you gay?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Fri May 17, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

Was that the first time in >600 pages that I was pope?? How did that happen?
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 17, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Was it the paragraph used in the speech accent archive?
speech accent archive wrote:Please call Stella. Ask her to bring these things with her from the store: Six spoons of fresh snow peas, five thick slabs of blue cheese, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake and a big toy frog for the kids. She can scoop these things into three red bags, and we will go meet her Wednesday at the train station.

Wow, speaking that out loud made me extremely conscious of my accent. :shock:

Might get some weird looks from those around also.
My daughter got put into speech therapy by the local school, until I figured out that the problem they were trying to solve was her lack of southern accent. Time installed it pretty well all on its own. Oddly, my younger daughter has less of an accent, unless she attempts to answer, 'Where are you from?'
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri May 17, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:I will not ketchup today, not until next Tuesday... Because today I get married (the civil mariage, so little ceremony with little people, the religious mariage is next month) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So, I hope you will have a nice week-end and I hope the end of the OTC will wait for me, after all I have waited for it!

CONGRATS!!! Image

Wedding cupcakes for everyone!

Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

richP

Postby richP » Fri May 17, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:(snip)
(I once had a fascinating conversation with a painter (oil on canvas) about plot. He thought about it almost the same way I (the short story writer) do. That was at the same party where I talked to June Foray without knowing who she was (she even told me she did cartoon voices).)

"meep"
"don't you mean 'meep meep'?"
"no, I only said 'meep', those cheap bastards at Warner Brothers paid by the word. They re-dubbed it to be 'meep meep'"

...Came to mind before I looked to see who she was.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Here are my thoughts on the birds-that-some-wish-to-call-by-some-other-name-than-bird:
Spoiler:

List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 17, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

Subs vs hoagies vs grinders is another fun one with regional names differing for the same thing. That's New York/Pennsylvania/New England, so generally all northeastern US. I've always kind of wondered, does the rest of the world just not eat longbread sandwiches?

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri May 17, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Valarya wrote:
speech accent archive wrote:Please call Stella. Ask her to bring these things with her from the store: Six spoons of fresh snow peas, five thick slabs of blue cheese, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake and a big toy frog for the kids. She can scoop these things into three red bags, and we will go meet her Wednesday at the train station.

My daughter got put into speech therapy by the local school, until I figured out that the problem they were trying to solve was her lack of southern accent. Time installed it pretty well all on its own. Oddly, my younger daughter has less of an accent, unless she attempts to answer, 'Where are you from?'

We live in Nashville, a pretty diverse city compared to the rest of the south. I think my daughter has less of an accent than me. :P
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 17, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:Subs vs hoagies vs grinders is another fun one with regional names differing for the same thing. That's New York/Pennsylvania/New England, so generally all northeastern US. I've always kind of wondered, does the rest of the world just not eat longbread sandwiches?

I always figured:
a sub was more dried, flat meat
a hoagy is heavily sauced, chunky meat
A grinder is chunky meat, light sauce at best
a po'boy is anything that was on hand at the time
A dagwood is a po'boy on toasted bread which isn't long.

but that might just be my personal classification list.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 17, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
jetpac wrote:Subs vs hoagies vs grinders is another fun one with regional names differing for the same thing. That's New York/Pennsylvania/New England, so generally all northeastern US. I've always kind of wondered, does the rest of the world just not eat longbread sandwiches?

I always figured:

Well I've definitely heard hoagie used in a broader sense than that. The camp in the Poconos where I used to work had "hoagie hikes", where we took the campers on a hike for lunch and ate lunchmeat, cheese, mustard and mayo on longbread out in the woods somewhere.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 17, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

I always figured:

Well I've definitely heard hoagie used in a broader sense than that. The camp in the Poconos where I used to work had "hoagie hikes", where we took the campers on a hike for lunch and ate lunchmeat, cheese, mustard and mayo on longbread out in the woods somewhere.

Oh, it's entirely likely I just associate each word with the first Sandwich I heard it assoicated with. But this was about regional dialects, and name associations, so i figured my own private classification system might be interesting.
“have i gone mad?

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:
- a bottle containing a carbonated beverage
- the valve-like device attached to the side of your house that you might attach a garden hose to
- a paper container that the grocery store puts your purchases into so you can carry them out

For the record:
- “frisdank”, or simply “fris”
- “kraan”
- “zak”
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 17, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
SBN wrote:
Valarya wrote:

We live in Nashville, a pretty diverse city compared to the rest of the south. I think my daughter has less of an accent than me. :P

When we moved here, we accidentally moved to 1950, I'm glad it is only the accent my kids picked up. (Well, and a love of sweet tea.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri May 17, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:
- the valve-like device attached to the side of your house that you might attach a garden hose to
- a paper container that the grocery store puts your purchases into so you can carry them out

For the record:
- “kraan”
- “zak”

Do you like your fris fizzy?
How cool would it be if frisdank just poured out of your kraan, instead of having to get it by the zak?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 17, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
mscha wrote:

For the record:
- “kraan”
- “zak”

Do you like your fris fizzy?
How cool would it be if frisdank just poured out of your kraan, instead of having to get it by the zak?

That I adapted so quickly to such usage of those words, that it all made perfect sense, to me is, somewhat, disturbing. :shock:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Laser Plumb

Postby Laser Plumb » Fri May 17, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

wish I had the time to learn to proper way to ONG ....

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Flado wrote:
HAL9000 wrote: Blitzing to catch up is still perfectly okay, as long as you only respond to things when you have something especially important or clever to say.

I only bother saying important and clever somethings.

If we all do that it'll make blitzing much easier, but I'm not sure it'll be so much fun here.

My only issue with blitzing is when people bring up an argument/question that was resolved 3 posts after the quote they take, example being the Lego/Lego's thing, so many short blitzers would quote 1/2 way through the argument and bring it all back up. Read on a few more posts before you bring up a subject that was concluded 4+ NP back. Then quote the end of subject post and add on your thoughts please!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

CONGé CONGÉ...

-- posted by newpixbot

Looks like newpixbot has some encoding issues. (Posted UTF-8 where latin-1 is expected, looks like.) Bad newpixbot!
Last edited by mscha on Fri May 17, 2013 4:30 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri May 17, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:My only issue with blitzing is when people bring up an argument/question that was resolved 3 posts after the quote they take, example being the Lego/Lego's thing,...

And how long have you had this curious delusion that the Lego/Lego's/lego/legos thing actually got resolved?

ETA:
mscha wrote:CONGé...
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

Hey, he managed not to fall in! Good work, Cueball - we may have to start calling him Clueball. (And thanks again, newpixbot!)
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Fri May 17, 2013 4:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

SOOooo apparently the upper portion of the river is neat as well... SO, I bring to you 5

5pretty neat

ETA: And a dead forum...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:SOOooo apparently the upper portion of the river is neat as well... SO, I bring to you 5

5pretty neat

That frame was actually a rerun from at couple of hectonewpix ago (frame 1053).
So the proper order would be:
1: sea (big)
2: river (small)
3: second river (pretty neat, and even bigger than it looked)
4: tree (neat)
5: camp (old)

Edit: I know, I'm missing one in my signature. Problem is, if I fix it, it breaks footnotes in earlier messages.
Edit2: Okay, okay, I'll just go and fix those messages.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Opiboble wrote:SOOooo apparently the upper portion of the river is neat as well... SO, I bring to you 5

5pretty neat

Edit: I know, I'm missing one in my signature. Problem is, if I fix it, it breaks footnotes in earlier messages.

NO that was the point of putting it as #5 instead of inserting. The river being Pretty Neat is #5.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

For the record:
- “kraan”
- “zak”

I might legitimately start using 'kraan' for 'spigot' from now on.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

EDIT: sorry for double post. Darn iPad.
Spoiler:
nipplesticks
Last edited by HAL9000 on Fri May 17, 2013 6:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 17, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Opiboble wrote:My only issue with blitzing is when people bring up an argument/question that was resolved 3 posts after the quote they take, example being the Lego/Lego's thing,...

And how long have you had this curious delusion that the Lego/Lego's/lego/legos thing actually got resolved?

Since we got distracted and stopped arguing abou--ooh! Shiny!
“have i gone mad?

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Fri May 17, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:

We resolve things here?
Revisiting old topics is part of how threads work. We can't all be reading online all the time, and sometimes even if you are, things get said while you are composing a post, and at the same time someone else is composing a post. Yes, there is preview, but that isn't perfect. I do generally make sure I'm caught up before I post, but if someone else gets online an hour later and has something else to say, no reason they shouldn't.
I'm not completely sure the plastic brick thing was ever something that needed resolution. It's just a weird thing about how English isn't used the same everywhere.
In any case, my comment about blitzing was about the reading to catch up. Posting while blitzing is a different subject altogether, and there is no consensus, so I sort of hope the blitzers aren't trying to follow all the sigrules we've given them, since some are contradictory.
It is pretty sure that however anyone posts, blitzer or not, some will like it, and some will not.

Slightly more on-topic. Here's my method to post the Newpix. Right-click, open in new tab, then in that tab right-click and copy image URL. Post a reply, click Img and put the image URL in between the tags. Add an -ONG or other commentary as you feel led. Make sure you don't post the changing URL, but the actual hash for the Newpix. Never edit a pre-hour post to put in the Newpix. (I'd say don't edit a post-hour post either, but that's not as universally held.) Double posting to post the Newpix is not a problem.

Some Ways to Time

kryton

Postby kryton » Fri May 17, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

Accidental Time Tourist Journal
Coordinates: top of page 474 of 647

I had thought I enjoyed the puns when I sent my last transmission bag to the future, boy was I wrong...and never been more glad to be so wrong. so much more awaited me in the pouches ahead. I became lost in the pallets piled high with duffles, satchels, totes and pokes...and had quite an experience...

The burlap $ scratched the itches, the gunny $ guarded my sanity, the grocery ! kept my cooler well stocked for the journey, I got plenty of rest with the knap $, had to dodge a thrown bean ! , almost got scammed by a dirt ! , was bored to tears by a wind !, spent an uncomfortable night in a flea !, read some fan letters from the mail !, had to mediate a school election between a turd sandwich and a douche !, won a game of hackey $, read a comic about a sad $, got stuck in the rain and had to fight my way out of a wet paper !, forgot who I was talking to and let the cat out of the !, held back a flood with a pile of sand !,

I'll stop here, or I'll likely get the $.

Helper is back! woo Hoo!

And yet again the rock & roll outside is calling, and I must toss this message in a bottle through the {POST} portal to the future,

Waiting for it in the past...
1298 and counting

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Opiboble wrote:My only issue with blitzing is when people bring up an argument/question that was resolved 3 posts after the quote they take, example being the Lego/Lego's thing, so many short blitzers would quote 1/2 way through the argument and bring it all back up. Read on a few more posts before you bring up a subject that was concluded 4+ NP back. Then quote the end of subject post and add on your thoughts please!

We resolve things here?
Revisiting old topics is part of how threads work. We can't all be reading online all the time, and sometimes even if you are, things get said while you are composing a post, and at the same time someone else is composing a post. Yes, there is preview, but that isn't perfect. I do generally make sure I'm caught up before I post, but if someone else gets online an hour later and has something else to say, no reason they shouldn't.
Spoiler:
I'm not completely sure the plastic brick thing was ever something that needed resolution. It's just a weird thing about how English isn't used the same everywhere.
In any case, my comment about blitzing was about the reading to catch up. Posting while blitzing is a different subject altogether, and there is no consensus, so I sort of hope the blitzers aren't trying to follow all the sigrules we've given them, since some are contradictory.
It is pretty sure that however anyone posts, blitzer or not, some will like it, and some will not.

Slightly more on-topic. Here's my method to post the Newpix. Right-click, open in new tab, then in that tab right-click and copy image URL. Post a reply, click Img and put the image URL in between the tags. Add an -ONG or other commentary as you feel led. Make sure you don't post the changing URL, but the actual hash for the Newpix. Never edit a pre-hour post to put in the Newpix. (I'd say don't edit a post-hour post either, but that's not as universally held.) Double posting to post the Newpix is not a problem.

My full post (re-added) was about the fact that people quote half way though the discussion when short blitzing, so basically restarting the entire conversation halfway though the original, it is really annoying because then we repeat everything we already said for another 10 newpix instead of having a new subject to talk about.

ETA: Or a proper continuation of a past subject.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Fri May 17, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

kryton wrote:Accidental Time Tourist Journal
Coordinates: top of page 474 of 647

I had thought I enjoyed the puns when I sent my last transmission bag to the future, boy was I wrong...and never been more glad to be so wrong. so much more awaited me in the pouches ahead. I became lost in the pallets piled high with duffles, satchels, totes and pokes...and had quite an experience...

The burlap $ scratched the itches, the gunny $ guarded my sanity, the grocery ! kept my cooler well stocked for the journey, I got plenty of rest with the knap $, had to dodge a thrown bean ! , almost got scammed by a dirt ! , was bored to tears by a wind !, spent an uncomfortable night in a flea !, read some fan letters from the mail !, had to mediate a school election between a turd sandwich and a douche !, won a game of hackey $, read a comic about a sad $, got stuck in the rain and had to fight my way out of a wet paper !, forgot who I was talking to and let the cat out of the !, held back a flood with a pile of sand !,

I'll stop here, or I'll likely get the $.

Helper is back! woo Hoo!

And yet again the rock & roll outside is calling, and I must toss this message in a bottle through the {POST} portal to the future,

Waiting for it in the past...

And someday he'll know just how timely this post is. I tripped over a few of them, I use paper bags sometimes, but when they are wet for some reason they become paper sacks.

Some Ways to Time

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Fri May 17, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:

Naturally, each of these had more names than people realized.

- bottle
- sprinkler
- plastic
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:

5pretty neat

NO that was the point of putting it as #5 instead of inserting. The river being Pretty Neat is #5.

Ah, makes sense. Hmm, you can still put them in the right order and label them 1, 2, 5, 3, 4. I wish I thought of that before I changed all the footnotes in messages since I added this to my signature...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Fri May 17, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

Mini ketchup, partly as I don't have time and partly as the forum is being uncooperative
Ebonite wrote:
Valarya wrote:
akacat wrote:
Ebonite wrote:<snip>
Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:

snip
snip

Soda, coke, and pop were the most common choices for the beverage.
Faucet, spigot, and tap (as in "tap water") for the second one.
Bag, sack, and poke (as in "pig in a poke") for the third one. Definitely a southern US thing, in my opinion!

Fizzy drink, if there was no clear brand (though one might say "can you get me a coke or something")
Tap
Bag

But even on our tiny island there are strong regional differences. (I used to regularly argue with "northerners" until I became outnumbered and learned to shut up) ETA: But even northerners refer to LEGO as LEGO

@Kieryn the "inside outside links" I was referring to were links to xkcd comics, which I suppose are outside the thread. I actually prefer it this way, so it's fine as is
Last edited by HES on Fri May 17, 2013 5:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Fri May 17, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
Ebonite wrote:

- bottle
- sprinkler
- plastic

Sprinkler? Aren't those at the far end of the hose?

Some Ways to Time

HES

Postby HES » Fri May 17, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

Before I return to outside duties, the inquisition may want to look at this other other comic. Everything is connected.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

CONGRATULATE...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri May 17, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:- the valve-like device attached to the side of your house that you might attach a garden hose to

Sill Cock, or sillcock. Your choice.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Fri May 17, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
ttscp wrote:
Ebonite wrote:

- bottle
- sprinkler
- plastic

Sprinkler? Aren't those at the far end of the hose?

lol.

- pop, fizzy drink, or the flavour by name. My grandma used to talk about Mineral Waters.
- Tap. Outside Tap specifically.
- carrier bags (and made of plastic)

What do people call the slightly squashed spheres of bread that are traditionally choped in half horizontally so that bacon1 can be placed within?

1 - other fillings are available
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri May 17, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

mscha wrote:CONGé CONGÉ...

-- posted by newpixbot

Looks like newpixbot has some encoding issues. (Posted UTF-8 where latin-1 is expected, looks like.) Bad newpixbot!

So I guess river2 water is good to drink but sea1 water isn't?

1big, does what it wants
2 small, pretty neat
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri May 17, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:My only issue with blitzing is when people bring up an argument/question that was resolved 3 posts after the quote they take, example being the Lego/Lego's thing

I agree with your issue in general, but I don't think that's a good example. I believe it was my post that unexpectedly got the Lego discussion going at full steam again, but I can assure you I read all the way up to the present time before posting that (I do not blindpost) and it still seemed like an open topic that I could (usefully?) add my voice to. Okay, maybe not so usefully, since IIRC it was more of a 'me too', but it did still seem like an open topic, from the recent-enough past that I got to it during normal post-coma/Outside tomato sauce. Given all the discussion that followed, I'd say it was not resolved.

Edit: Woohoo! Holy Helmentmonger's Highest Habitué!
Last edited by Angelastic on Fri May 17, 2013 5:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 17, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

SBN wrote: so I sort of hope the blitzers aren't trying to follow all the sigrules we've given them, since some are contradictory.

My suggestion? make them suggestions instead of rules. People have no problem ignoring suggestions, but feel rules are something which they should not break.

also, Ralph Waldo Emerson once said " foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines"
“have i gone mad?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”