1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
Angelastic wrote:...I was quite surprised to find that a chicken & chips (or maybe turkey leg and chips) stall at a theme park I went to in the US was actually selling chicken turkeydinosaur and chippies. Who eats dinosaur with chippies? Dinosaur and chips is just like fish and chips; it entails hot chips.

This calls to mind a shirt that my son has.
It's produced by the author of the Questionable Content OtherOtherComic.

I like that OtherOther Comic, it is quite funny.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 17, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:<snip>

Ah, I've been waiting for the SAEWITRBASA.
I was working at a place which had a normous computer room (mainframes) with a big red button. One day someone pushed the button. All the computers powered down. They rushed around switching everything back on and someone asked the guy what happened, he demonstrated that he didn't do it on purpose, he just touched the button like thi... and click, everything switched off again. More rushing around getting it back online. The manager came in with steam coming out of his ears 'what were you doing?' 'I wasn't doing anything, I just put my arm out and ...' click, a third time. Our hero was sent home.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

fatness

Postby fatness » Fri May 17, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
mscha wrote:HuhONG?
Spoiler:

So Cueball was intentionally tasting it earlier?

OK, that seals it. No taking culinary tips from Cueball.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I love the lurkers, I love the ketchup posts
I love the regulars, and the sometimes cranky folks
I love the blitzers blindposting from the past.
Wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it

I love the craziness here in the OTT,
But it works be if we all agree to disagree.
All that's important is that we Wait for It,
Wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it

I fixed it.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Fri May 17, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

ketchuptrans_zpsd6d1b906.gif
ketchuptrans_zpsd6d1b906.gif (5.43 KiB) Viewed 12896 times
(GIF credits to yappobiscuits, transparency by yours truly. (The trick is setting the frame disposal to replace (in GIMP, I used Filters->Animation->Unoptimise (Yay for nested parentheses ( :D )))))

Dracomax wrote:mscha: Did you not see me acknowledge the mistake? I actually know the difference, I'm just bad about mixing it up. Maybe if The danes and the dutch named their countries anything like the name of the people /languages they speak, the it'd be easier.

Of course, as a citizen of the USA, who speaks English and is called by the name of one of two contintents, I have lot of room to complain.

I've been wondering, if Dutch is the language of the Netherlands, does that mean Double Dutch is spoken in Never Never Land?

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
HES wrote:
Kieryn wrote:NewData available up to roughly 3 hours ago.
Also prettyfication of the forum navigation
Also added direct links to pages of the Book of Time from the navigator. Now you all have no excuses for writing lots of fun stuff in there.

"links to the outside" is now including links to the inside... is this deliberate?

Kind of deliberate... I loosened the criteria because I was excluding some things that people thought ought to be included. Could you let me know which links I'm including that you think I should not be and I will refine further.

I would say that anything on xkcd.com be considered internal (including fora., forums., www. and blog.). Perhaps any URL which matches the regex |https?://[^/]+xkcd.com/.*| is internal and all else is external.

k.bookbinder wrote:
Spoiler:
ergman wrote:
mscha wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:
- a bottle containing a carbonated beverage
- the valve-like device attached to the side of your house that you might attach a garden hose to
- a paper container that the grocery store puts your purchases into so you can carry them out

For the record:
- “frisdank”, or simply “fris”
- “kraan”
- “zak”

Do you like your fris fizzy?
How cool would it be if frisdank just poured out of your kraan, instead of having to get it by the zak?

That I adapted so quickly to such usage of those words, that it all made perfect sense, to me is, somewhat, disturbing. :shock:

Dutch is easier than you think, you just read it out loud. (Well that works for frisdank=fizzydrink and zak=sack, not so much for kraan.) Practical test: what do you think "doe-het-zelf" means?
Spoiler:
DIY

jetpac wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
RobIrr wrote:What do people call the slightly squashed spheres of bread that are traditionally choped in half horizontally so that bacon1 can be placed within?

1 - other fillings are available

I'm so confused by this, hah. Pita? Sandwich wedges? Bread? :P

I assumed he was referring to buns? Like hamburger or hot dog buns? I guess they could also be called rolls.

On their own? Cobs (if riverish) or baps (if seaish).
Filled with bacon? Butties.
With cheese? Rolls.
Am I helping? No.

Exodies wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:That's a side effect of reading the OTT about the OTC (currently featuring Cuegan drinking from the dilgunnerang). Even the molpy-minded adapt faster than a sparrow-raptor, absorbing new terms every newpix, whether it's from a discussion read while ketchup blitzing the pastposts, a sigcouragement response, or from the most recent B/D/G ONG. (Birds-that-we-don't-wish-to-call-birds-but-maybe-boobies-will-be-okay, anyone?) I wonder if the OTA, GLR, had any idea what would happen when he unleashed this marvel upon Outside minds, who now scan semencoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice for any sign of heretical mustard, compare the heights of creatures in centicues, keep the OTW updated and give each other Present Presents. Whether we be Amoebaeists or Loopists, Temporal Illuminati or Timewaiters, PFANPs or Mopey Molpy Momes, Trekers or thread-dwellers living in the Now, we know how to take any Madness that infects this needle-pulled thing in stride as we Wait for it together.

Does this make sense if read backwards?

together. it for Wait we as stride in thing needle-pulled this infects that Madness any take to how know we Now, the in living thread-dwellers or Trekers Momes, Molpy Mopey or PFANPs Timewaiters, or Illuminati Temporal Loopists, or Amoebaeists be we Whether Presents. Present other each give and updated OTW the keep centicues, in creatures of heights the compare mustard, heretical of sign any for semencoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice scan now who minds, Outside upon marvel this unleashed he when happen would what idea any had GLR, OTA, the if wonder I anyone?) (Birds-that-we-don't-wish-to-call-birds-but-maybe-boobies-will-be-okay, ONG. B/D/G recent most the from or response, sigcouragement a pastposts, the blitzing ketchup while read discussion a from it's whether newpix, every terms new absorbing sparrow-raptor, a than faster adapt molpy-minded the Even dilgunnerang). the from drinking Cuegan featuring (currently OTC the about OTT the reading of effect side a That's
Or in other words, no.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri May 17, 2013 11:13 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
mathrec wrote:
Angelastic wrote:...I was quite surprised to find that a chicken & chips (or maybe turkey leg and chips) stall at a theme park I went to in the US was actually selling chicken turkeydinosaur and chippies. Who eats dinosaur with chippies? Dinosaur and chips is just like fish and chips; it entails hot chips.

likewise! been reading that one daily for about 7 years. couldn't imagine the ketchup on something like that. :P
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri May 17, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

He means way back in frames 175 and 487, I assume?
Spoiler:

Hmm. I thought cueball, in his naïvety, was talking about their recent drink from the river. He assumed that it would taste the same because it was connected? Idk. Your way makes more sense
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 17, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
Exodies wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:That's a side effect of reading the OTT about the OTC (currently featuring Cuegan drinking from the dilgunnerang). Even the molpy-minded adapt faster than a sparrow-raptor, absorbing new terms every newpix, whether it's from a discussion read while ketchup blitzing the pastposts, a sigcouragement response, or from the most recent B/D/G ONG. (Birds-that-we-don't-wish-to-call-birds-but-maybe-boobies-will-be-okay, anyone?) I wonder if the OTA, GLR, had any idea what would happen when he unleashed this marvel upon Outside minds, who now scan semencoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice for any sign of heretical mustard, compare the heights of creatures in centicues, keep the OTW updated and give each other Present Presents. Whether we be Amoebaeists or Loopists, Temporal Illuminati or Timewaiters, PFANPs or Mopey Molpy Momes, Trekers or thread-dwellers living in the Now, we know how to take any Madness that infects this needle-pulled thing in stride as we Wait for it together.

together. it for Wait we as stride in thing needle-pulled this infects that Madness any take to how know we Now, the in living thread-dwellers or Trekers Momes, Molpy Mopey or PFANPs Timewaiters, or Illuminati Temporal Loopists, or Amoebaeists be we Whether Presents. Present other each give and updated OTW the keep centicues, in creatures of heights the compare mustard, heretical of sign any for semencoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice scan now who minds, Outside upon marvel this unleashed he when happen would what idea any had GLR, OTA, the if wonder I anyone?) (Birds-that-we-don't-wish-to-call-birds-but-maybe-boobies-will-be-okay, ONG. B/D/G recent most the from or response, sigcouragement a pastposts, the blitzing ketchup while read discussion a from it's whether newpix, every terms new absorbing sparrow-raptor, a than faster adapt molpy-minded the Even dilgunnerang). the from drinking Cuegan featuring (currently OTC the about OTT the reading of effect side a That's
Or in other words, no.

Funny. I was going through it thinking "oh yes, it does"
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

meerta

Postby meerta » Fri May 17, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

It won't take long they said...

It'll be over by April they said..

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
mathrec wrote:

likewise! been reading that one daily for about 7 years. couldn't imagine the ketchup on something like that. :P

I found this one last month, Girl Genius, it is taking forever to get through but it is a good one.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

This thread has over 26,000 posts in it. That makes me about 99.82% lurker. Even the most prolific correspondents are around 98% lurker. We're all mostly lurkers here.

So, fellow lurkers, please post!
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

lgw

Postby lgw » Fri May 17, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:

I was working at a place which had a normous computer room (mainframes) with a big red button. One day someone pushed the button. All the computers powered down. They rushed around switching everything back on and someone asked the guy what happened, he demonstrated that he didn't do it on purpose, he just touched the button like thi... and click, everything switched off again. More rushing around getting it back online. The manager came in with steam coming out of his ears 'what were you doing?' 'I wasn't doing anything, I just put my arm out and ...' click, a third time. Our hero was sent home.

Where I worked, the BRS was protected by a Molly guard (a removable plexiglass guard). Apparently the term "Molly guard" comes from an incident with a young girl named Molly who loved to press the big button. :)
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 17, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

lgw wrote:
Exodies wrote:

Where I worked, the BRS was protected by a Molly guard (a removable plexiglass guard). Apparently the term "Molly guard" comes from an incident with a young girl named Molly who loved to press the big button. :)

I think the better question is, who decided it'd be a good idea to make a single button that turns off everything? I mean, that's almost as bad as this guy, who puts "self destruct" buttons on everything...

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Fri May 17, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
cmyk, newpage 258 wrote:
Spoiler:
Holy shit. I uncovered the ending frames...

Thanks for bringing that up again, I was looking for that because we needed something Time-related to add to (Link is very NSFW) http://rule34.paheal.net/post/list/xkcd/1.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
cmyk, newpage 258 wrote:
Spoiler:

Thanks for bringing that up again, I was looking for that because we needed something Time-related to add to (Link is very NSFW) http://rule34.paheal.net/post/list/xkcd/1.

GAAAAHHHH I HATE YOU! I want to click the link but I am at work D:

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Fri May 17, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I think the better question is, who decided it'd be a good idea to make a single button that turns off everything? I mean, that's almost as bad as this guy, who puts "self destruct" buttons on everything...

Spoiler:

I think this story contains a good reason: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2008/05/13/8497704.aspx.

Helper goeth to Starbux:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
cmyk, newpage 258 wrote:
Spoiler:

That's...
ew.
Just ew.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri May 17, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
cmyk, newpage 258 wrote:
Spoiler:

I suppose its only fitting that xkcd gets its own share of rule 34, considering it fathered it
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sat May 18, 2013 12:00 am UTC

If the love that I got for you is gone
If the river I cried ain't that lONG
Then I'm wrONG, yeah I'm wrONG, this ain't a love sONG.

With thanks to bONG jovi.

Edit: That's how I remembered it; Megan tasted the sea by accident, Cueball on purpose.
Edit2: Cueball tasted the sea on purpose, not Megan tasted Cueball.
Last edited by Smithers on Sat May 18, 2013 12:02 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Helper goeth to Starbux:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:00 am UTC

ninj'ONG
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 12:02 am UTC

Megan, always the sensible one.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Sat May 18, 2013 12:16 am UTC

Smithers wrote:Edit: That's how I remembered it; Megan tasted the sea by accident, Cueball on purpose.
Edit2: Cueball tasted the sea on purpose, not Megan tasted Cueball.

That would certainly be telling of their relationship. Especially if he then gave her the flow...
He/Him/His Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat May 18, 2013 12:25 am UTC

Image yappobiscuits, FTW! Invisible FTW to Smithers!

@Valarya - I can image you (a southerner) saying that, but maybe as "five thick slabs of blue cheese, yeehaw!" .... is that wrong? lol. :mrgreen: Mine would be "five, like, thick slabs of blue, you know, cheese".

@lmjb1964 - Nice rendition. Maybe that's what we should post as a response if the topic resumes. :)

Angelastic wrote:Who eats dinosaur with chippies? Dinosaur and chips is just like fish and chips; it entails hot chips.
Everything goes with potato/tortilla chips. Fries are fine with it too. I'll eat anything with anything, actually.

BlitzGirl wrote:Wow, the panorama is awfulesome, azule! You're right, that flat bit does look odd compared to the other terrain.
*phew* I take it that it works. I could upload it, but I couldn't download it to see if it was successful. Thanks for the feedback. :)
Ontopix: I saw the discussion back in the xip, but had nothing worthwhile to add. But I bode my time, and look at me now! woot! heh.

mscha wrote:⁴!

Now how about an movie?

People talking, not with, but in footnotes is going to take some getting used to!

Cool gif job. I actually do that a lot while editing the file. lol.

! Again, not a footnote. :P
! sknahT
Edit: Spelling
Last edited by azule on Sat May 18, 2013 2:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 18, 2013 12:26 am UTC

Oh, Cueball. Taking sips of semencoffeecancerbabiesonice when Megan is not around...

Exodies wrote:
Spoiler:
Smithers wrote:
Exodies wrote:

Or in other words, no.

Funny. I was going through it thinking "oh yes, it does"

Reading through that feels like reading through the OTT while in severe coma deprivation.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat May 18, 2013 12:33 am UTC

Does this dialogue not confirm that the sea is in fact made of water?
Megan wrote:seawater

I did think Cueball was referring to the body of water next to them as the sea, since they just drank from it... I don't know why he thought to bring it up now if he was talking about back at home.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Sat May 18, 2013 12:45 am UTC

He's probably wondering about that because it makes him doubt their theory that the river2 is what makes the sea1 rise.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sat May 18, 2013 12:50 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
ergman wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:
- the valve-like device attached to the side of your house that you might attach a garden hose to
- a paper container that the grocery store puts your purchases into so you can carry them out

For the record:
- “kraan”
- “zak”
Do you like your fris fizzy?
How cool would it be if frisdank just poured out of your kraan, instead of having to get it by the zak?

That I adapted so quickly to such usage of those words, that it all made perfect sense, to me is, somewhat, disturbing. :shock:

That's a side effect of reading the OTT about the OTC (currently featuring Cuegan drinking from the dilgunnerang). Even the molpy-minded adapt faster than a sparrow-raptor, absorbing new terms every newpix, whether it's from a discussion read while ketchup blitzing the pastposts, a sigcouragement response, or from the most recent B/D/G ONG. (Birds-that-we-don't-wish-to-call-birds-but-maybe-boobies-will-be-okay, anyone?) I wonder if the OTA, GLR, had any idea what would happen when he unleashed this marvel upon Outside minds, who now scan semencoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice for any sign of heretical mustard, compare the heights of creatures in centicues, keep the OTW updated and give each other Present Presents. Whether we be Amoebaeists or Loopists, Temporal Illuminati or Timewaiters, PFANPs or Mopey Molpy Momes, Trekers or thread-dwellers living in the Now, we know how to take any Madness that infects this needle-pulled thing in stride as we Wait for it together.

Ah The Madness. I remember that amusing period of the OTT. It's amazing how this thread has evolved to the point where I'm pretty sure are totally resistant to any of those type of filtering tricks. We adapt like a well oiled immune system.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 18, 2013 12:50 am UTC

I'm wondering what the sea is supposed to be tasting better than.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 18, 2013 12:53 am UTC

ucim wrote:I'm wondering what the sea is supposed to be tasting better than.

Jose

I think it's implied that it's "better than before." Like you would say "I'm getting better," well better than what? Better than when you were sick or whatever.
Unless that was a rhetorical question meant to induce silly discussion in which case I entirely missed the point :P

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Sat May 18, 2013 12:58 am UTC

I'm thinking ChronosDragon had it right:
ChronosDragon wrote:
taixzo wrote:

Also, cue discussion of pollution.

Maybe they're not as clueless as we thought. If the sea was receiving a large input of freshwater, then it would taste less and less salty as the areas near the coast were inundated with the less-dense freshwater.

When Cueball tasted the sea in the sandcastle era, he remarked "I've had worse." I think he meant that literally (that the sea had tasted worse before), that he's remembering that thought now, and that he's sharing his observation with Megan.
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat May 18, 2013 1:01 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

Jose

I think it's implied that it's "better than before." Like you would say "I'm getting better," well better than what? Better than when you were sick or whatever.
Unless that was a rhetorical question meant to induce silly discussion in which case I entirely missed the point :P

Well, he said that he had had worse. So some time even longer ago he had sea water, which was even worse than it was this time. And now he's thinking that the river is making it taste less bad.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Sat May 18, 2013 1:01 am UTC

Jose

I took it to mean 'better than the river2'. Although it's weird that he didn't say so, which might mean that he does mean 'better than before'. But then again, he hasn't tasted the sea2 in a while (only the river2, and they haven't referred to the river2 as the sea1 before). Eh, I guess we have to wait for it and see1.

htom

Postby htom » Sat May 18, 2013 1:04 am UTC

mathrec wrote:

I'm thinking ChronosDragon had it right:
ChronosDragon wrote:
taixzo wrote:

Also, cue discussion of pollution.

Maybe they're not as clueless as we thought. If the sea was receiving a large input of freshwater, then it would taste less and less salty as the areas near the coast were inundated with the less-dense freshwater.

When Cueball tasted the sea in the sandcastle era, he remarked "I've had worse." I think he meant that literally (that the sea had tasted worse before), that he's remembering that thought now, and that he's sharing his observation with Megan.

Doctor: So how's your knee? [I sprained it a while ago.}
Me: Better every day, but still not well?
Doctor: That's what I wanted to hear.

Pollution. All of this discussion has assumed that the river is fresh and potable. I've had stream water that tasted horrible, and sea water that would have been great except it was salty.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

HES

Postby HES » Sat May 18, 2013 1:05 am UTC

we're getting slONGppy

Edit: our thoughts on his thoughts were correct, it seems
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 18, 2013 1:17 am UTC

Cueball? Thinking? That can't be right.

Unless...the brain-eating amoeba is actually changing his brain for the better?
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sat May 18, 2013 1:22 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Cueball? Thinking? That can't be right.

He's a real thinker! All this time we've taken him for a dunce and it turns out he's simply been thinking at a higher level than us, so we didn't understand. Cueball for class president!
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

akacat

Postby akacat » Sat May 18, 2013 1:24 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Cueball? Thinking? That can't be right.

Unless...the brain-eating amoeba is actually changing his brain for the better?

Wasn't that the plot of a Futurama episode? Just substitute Fry for Cueball...

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:26 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
mscha wrote:

For the record:
- “kraan”
- “zak”

Thanks for sharing. Welcome to Earth!

So, when I read mscha's quote, my first thought (not entirely unreasonable, given OTT history), was that it was encrypted, or Klingon, or...but now I find out that it is Dutch, and I am an idiot. :oops: Sorry for insinuating you were not from Earth. I'll just slink out of the room now and hope no one notices.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat May 18, 2013 1:31 am UTC

Smithers wrote:
ketchuptrans_zpsd6d1b906.gif
(GIF credits to yappobiscuits, transparency by yours truly. (The trick is setting the frame disposal to replace (in GIMP, I used Filters->Animation->Unoptimise (Yay for nested parentheses ( :D )))))

I did actually try that (when saving as a .gif, there's a "frame disposal where unspecified" drop down box which I set to replace) and it still left a trail :/

And I just now tried Unoptimise like you said - nope, still leaves a trail for me :/

But hey, at least I've got the one you made, so thanks! It'd just be nice to know how to do it myself for the future...

Valarya wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
mathrec wrote:

Spoiler:

And me! Although not for that long, more like 3 years. I have actually read it all through twice (once when I first discovered it, and again maybe a year later). It's quite enjoyable to do a full read-through of, since unlike say xkcd, it's one continuous story. Doing a full read-through actually helps make the story much clearer in your head than by just getting one comic per day. So it may be a long ketchup, but an enjoyable one!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

AK49BWL

Postby AK49BWL » Sat May 18, 2013 1:35 am UTC

:shock: :shock: What have I done... The Outside ate me alive. I must resist skipping 106 Newpages!! :shock:

Help.....me.........
Follower of the One True Comic

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”