1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat May 18, 2013 6:11 am UTC

A while back I asked if anyone was compiling a list of neologisms from the OTT. I probably should have mentioned I had a specific purpose─I'm hoping to find that we've accidentally created some double-dactyl words.

Double dactyl: (1) A line of verse consisting of two dactyl feet, with a rhythm of DUM-da-da-DUM-da-da; (2) A six-syllable word with accent (if any) on the first and fourth syllable (such as intraabdominal or sesquipedalian); (3) A comic verse form in double-dactyl meter.

It's type (2) I'm hoping to find. Why? To use in type (3), which is harder to describe than to understand by example.

A double dactyl poem intends to commemorate someone (or someplace) in comic verse. It has rather peculiar rules:
  1. Each poem is eight lines long.
  2. Each line is double dactyl meter, except for the fourth and eighth which are two beats short (DUM-da-da-DUM).
  3. The first line is nonsense (traditionally "Higgledy piggledy," though not necessarily). Nerd translation: Information content should be at or near zero bits.
  4. The second line names the person or place to be commemorated.
  5. The fourth and eighth lines have a strong (masculine) rhyme; other lines need not rhyme.
  6. One line in the second half (usually the sixth line, but again not necessarily) must be a single six-syllable double-dactyl word (which may be hyphenated if you're desperate).
I figure that given the development of the OTT, it's perfectly reasonable that we should use our own fresh-minted six-syllable words for the purpose, rather than relying on standard English. (Though if anyone wants to use ailurophilia for, say, Latent22, that would be fine.) But I haven't been able to find any genuine occurrences, so far, just near misses like Buffydashery. So I'm having to make up my own. But that's what we've been doing all along, isn't it?

Anyway, here are a couple of examples that I hope will inspire more:

Strummity hummity─
    StratPlayer awesomeness
    Bursts from each parody,
        Pastiche, and verse;
    Such fine examples of
    Ninjaspeedblitzfilking
    ─Wish we could rent Albert
        Hall and rehearse.

Momity, molpity,
    BlitzGirl the versatile
    Dazzles with lyrics, phi-
        Losophy, arts,
    Commonsense peacemaking,
    Humor, and even some
    Centicuemeasuring
        Molpy-height charts.

EDITED to add one omitted rule (5.) and clarify the others.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sat May 18, 2013 9:21 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Sat May 18, 2013 6:23 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Just went back over that section in aubronwood a few times. It seems pretty clear (to me, anyway) that he is saying that when he tasted the water at the castles way back when, he thought it tasted a little fresher than when he had tasted it previously. That would explain his saying, "I've had worse." (It is odd that he keeps tasting the seawater.)

Then Cueball says, "I thought it tasted fresher, but maybe it was just me." Megan answers, "Probably," which I take to mean "Probably it was just you," since she goes on to say that the added fresh water would just be a fraction of the total water. She doesn't think that it would affect the taste of the sea...

I tend to agree with your interpretation of Megan's "Probably". But I think Cueball has it right. Since they don't seem to have access to a lot of knowledge, they wouldn't know that freshwater floats on top of salt water until it mixes.

Some scientific speculation, based on the dialogue:
1) Their sea is especially saline--based on the comments about whether it is possible to swim in the river, it suggests that their sea is so saline that knowing how to swim in the sea would not imply that you could swim in the river. It also would mean that a surface layer of freshwater would not mix as quickly.
2) The river that they are following is actually the source of the rising sea--based on the "fresher" sea water. That suggests that the source of the freshwater floating on the saline water is nearby.
3) Something actually changed that they can discover--I have an example in mind. The Colorado River in recent (geological) history has two mouths--the Sea of Cortez or the depression around the Salton Sea. The Salton Sea was essentially empty until a man-made accident diverted the Colorado River in 1905, but nature already had the Colorado River taking turns on a millennial time scale.

I'm not quite comfortable with the "diverted river" explanation, but I think that they will actually discover what is making the sea rise. The banks of the river don't look right for a suddenly larger flow--like from a major river that didn't used to flow down that drainage. But the other two explanations that I can come up with for the excess flow don't work as well. The Mediterranean Sea filled up when the Atlantic Ocean broke through at Gibraltar, but that was an influx of salt water. Glacial dams can burst, but that water is cold and there's no indication that Cueball fell into icy water.

Edited for clarity (probably not achieved)
Last edited by mathrec on Sat May 18, 2013 7:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat May 18, 2013 6:25 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:A while back I asked if anyone was compiling a list of neologisms from the OTT. I probably should have mentioned I had a specific purpose─I'm hoping to find that we've accidentally created some double-dactyl words.

Double dactyl: (1) A line of verse consisting of two dactyl feet, with a rhythm of DUM-da-da-DUM-da-da; (2) A six-syllable word with accent (if any) on the first and fourth syllable (such as intraabdominal or sesquipedalian); (3) A comic verse form in double-dactyl meter.

It's type (2) I'm hoping to find. Why? To use in type (3), which is harder to describe than to understand by example.

A double dactyl poem intends to commemorate someone (or someplace) in comic verse. It has rather peculiar rules:
  • Each poem is eight lines long.
  • Each line is double dactyl meter, except for the fourth and eighth which are two beats short (DUM-da-da-DUM).
  • The first line is nonsense (traditionally "Higgledy piggledy," though not necessarily).
  • The second line names a person or place.
  • One line in the second half (usually the sixth, but again not necessarily) is a double-dactyl word (which may be hyphenated if you're desperate).

I figure that given the development of the OTT, it's perfectly reasonable that we should use our own fresh-minted six-syllable words for the purpose, rather than relying on standard English. (Though if anyone wants to use ailurophilia for, say, Latent22, that would be fine.) But I haven't been able to find any genuine occurrences, so far, just near misses like Buffydashery. So I'm having to make up my own. But that's what we've been doing all along, isn't it?

Strummity hummity─
    StratPlayer awesomeness
    Bursts from each parody,
        Pastiche, and verse;
    Such fine examples of
    Ninjaspeedblitzfilking
        Hall and rehearse.

Momity, molpity,
    BlitzGirl the versatile
        Losophy, arts,
    Commonsense peacemaking,
    Humor, and even some
    Centicuemeasuring
        Molpy-height charts.

I love these :D. More definitely need to be done... I think you could work "Buffydashery" in if you preceded it with a single syllable word... or if you split it over two lines, with "Buffy" being the last two syllables of one line and "Dashery" being the first three of the next...

Also: Did Cueball just say something that... made sense?!
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Sat May 18, 2013 6:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 18, 2013 6:27 am UTC

The Case of the Little River
Or, Une Petite Noire

Chapter 1 - The Case
Chapter 2 - The River

The dauntless dame hadn't given me much to go on, but I knew it was time for a walk by a river. I'm not the type for nature walks, in fact I'm rather more partial to the kind where at least two people end up dead and justice is served as a nice appetizer. Little did I know that it was, in fact, one of those kinds of walks. Though maybe with a couple less deaths than usual, and a different kind of justice.

There I was, mindin' my own business by the side of the riverbank. Not a very big river, mind, more of a large stream. Hard to find spots like that in the big city, especially nowadays when the river has all manner of debris in it, not unlike my lungs after too many cigars to count. I was mulling over the case, or trying to anyway. My mind was wandering like a drunken souse in the small hours of the morning. All of the sudden, it hit me like a flash of lightning. An insight, and a 10-pound rock. When I came to, I was slouched on a bench with a bump the size of the hills on my noggin. Next to me was a note, in some near-unintelligible scrawl. I peered at it with squinted peepers, and made out:

Stay out of the river investigation, or the next thing to hit yer head will be a .38 caliber bullet.

That wasn't no coincidence right there. I felt for the pocket where I kept my trusty colt when I'm out and about. Much to my chagrin, my little lady was gone. A pang of sadness jolted through the fog of my awful headache, and hardened into firm resolve. I'd find the perp who did this, and make sure they learned what kind of justice I give to the guys who mess with my lady. And maybe figure somethin' out about this French chicken along the way. I needed some clues, and not ones tossed at my head from the streambed.

The capricious clientelle had mentioned another fellow, some jack who she'd been out on the beach with. A lover, if you asked me, but what did I know, he could be her brother. I needed to get the scoop on this guy if I was gonna get anywhere with this case. She'd given me her address, so I sauntered back to the office to lick my wounds and clean up a bit. When I got there, it was a sorry sight.

My ordinarily neat and tidy maple desk was taking a nap on its side, and its papery guts were spilled all over the floor. Shards of glass from the broken lamp were strewn across the floor alongside like bits of gravel in a river, and books on the shelf were all askew. I scanned the room, and sighed with relief. My guilty pleasure, an odd lil' book with the some nonsensical title, was still in its place. I halfheartedly straightened up a bit, then figured I could deal with the mess later. I left a note for my pretty little secretary, a ginger doll with a heart as fiery as her hair, telling her I was out and would deal with the mess later. Then I remembered she'd quit not 3 days before, and crumpled it up. My reverse psychology never worked on her, anyway.

I stopped in front of a window on the way out to straighten my hat in the reflection. The raindrops on the window twisted the view of the outside, but I saw a blue humdinger of a car sitting lazily on the other side of the street. I shrugged, spat on my hand, smoothed down my hair, winced a bit, and then left. Next stop, the client's place. And boy, at this point, I was really desperate to find something, or I wouldn't be able to afford the gumshoe business much longer.

To be continued, in Chapter 3 - The Break
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Sat May 18, 2013 6:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Sat May 18, 2013 6:29 am UTC

Wow. A sudden burst of long posts.

Edit:
jjjdavidson wrote:(2) A six-syllable word with accent (if any) on the first and fourth syllable (such as intraabdominal or sesquipedalian);

Vatican Milliner
The end is always near.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat May 18, 2013 6:39 am UTC

mathrec wrote:Edit:
jjjdavidson wrote:(2) A six-syllable word with accent (if any) on the first and fourth syllable (such as intraabdominal or sesquipedalian);

Vatican Milliner

Yes! And if you can find a good three-syllable synonym for "perfect", you can use the whole "Vatican Milliner's [Perfect] Customer"!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 18, 2013 6:40 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:A while back I asked if anyone was compiling a list of neologisms from the OTT. I probably should have mentioned I had a specific purpose─I'm hoping to find that we've accidentally created some double-dactyl words.

Spaghettification. Perhaps not particularly relevant to anyone in particular, but I think the phenomena that occurs when one is being sucked into a black hole is probably suitable for this thread.

yappobiscuits wrote:

Vatican Milliner

Yes! And if you can find a good three-syllable synonym for "perfect", you can use the whole "Vatican Milliner's [Perfect] Customer"!

Ineffable, unerring...defectless
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Sat May 18, 2013 6:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:41 am UTC

Australian contribution to the 'what different things are called' discussion:

Spoiler:
Ebonite wrote:<snip>
Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:
- a bottle containing a carbonated beverage
- the valve-like device attached to the side of your house that you might attach a garden hose to
- a paper container that the grocery store puts your purchases into so you can carry them out

Naturally, each of these had more names than people realized.

- Soft drink
- Tap
- (Plastic) bag

Valarya wrote:
Angelastic wrote:While we're talking about things whose words vary a lot between countries, what do you call the clothes made for swimming in? (I think 'swimsuit' is the most internationally-understood word; that's what I say if I manage to catch myself before saying something nobody will understand.) In NZ it's 'swimming togs' or just 'togs'. Elsewhere, I've heard bathers, swimmers, cossies, trunks, swimming costume, and probably some others.

Bathing Suit. Or swimsuit. If you're referring to a male swimsuit: swim trunks. I've never heard of any of the others. :P

Swimmers/bathers. Cossies is more or less an antiquated, 1950s-esque term. When you say male swimsuit, I think of an all-body kind of deal (professional style), which I'd just call a swimsuit- men's swimming 'shorts' are board shorts, and swimming underwear would be speedos (brandname degradation), or, famously, budgie-smugglers.

htom wrote:
RobIrr wrote:What do people call the slightly squashed spheres of bread that are traditionally choped in half horizontally so that bacon1 can be placed within?

1 - other fillings are available

Bun or roll. Bun is more likely a sweetened or milk yeast bread, roll a potato water or straight yeast bread. In the USA.

Also bun or roll, and I think I'd broadly agree (though I'm not really sure what potato water or milk yeast refer to, and in my experience in the US, all your bread has been strongly sweetened), but to me a bun is more a large, flattened, probably circular bread, for burgers and the like, and in fast food chains could be sweetened; a bun could also be non-chopped and an actual sweet treat, like a Boston bun or coffee scroll. A roll probably fits the description better for me, as smaller, savoury, slightly-squashed bread. Though probably containing ham, not bacon.

And for me chips refer to both hot and cold 'chips', and is the most common word for both. You could further break up hot chips into the thick-cut kind and thin McDonald's-style, which if you were wanting to refer specifically to the latter as opposed to the former you'd call fries, but otherwise all chips.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Sat May 18, 2013 6:44 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:

Vatican Milliner

How about "Most perfect"?
The end is always near.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat May 18, 2013 6:44 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

Spaghettification. Perhaps not particularly relevant to anyone in particular, but I think the phenomena that occurs when one is being sucked into a black hole is probably suitable for this thread.

The accents are on the wrong syllables for that though... needs to be "DA da da DA da da", that's "da DA da da DA da"...

Edit:
ChronosDragon wrote:Ineffable, unerring...defectless

Ineffable is four... unerring again has the wrong accentuation... but defectless could work!
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Sat May 18, 2013 6:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 18, 2013 6:45 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
A while back I asked if anyone was compiling a list of neologisms from the OTT. I probably should have mentioned I had a specific purpose─I'm hoping to find that we've accidentally created some double-dactyl words.

• Each line is double dactyl meter, except for the fourth and eighth which are two beats short (DUM-da-da-DUM).
  • The first line is nonsense (traditionally "Higgledy piggledy," though not necessarily).
  • One line in the second half (usually the sixth, but again not necessarily) is a double-dactyl word (which may be hyphenated if you're desperate).

Strummity hummity─
    StratPlayer awesomeness
    Bursts from each parody,
        Pastiche, and verse;
    Such fine examples of
    Ninjaspeedblitzfilking
        Hall and rehearse.

Momity, molpity,
BlitzGirl the versatile
    Losophy, arts,
Commonsense peacemaking,
Humor, and even some
Centicuemeasuring
    Molpy-height charts.

:D Lovely! If any double dactyls come to mind, I'll send 'em over.

And hurray! Another chapter of The Case of the Little River :) Great noir voice, ChronosDragon!
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 18, 2013 6:51 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

The accents are on the wrong syllables for that though... needs to be "DA da da DA da da", that's "da DA da da DA da"...

Edit:
ChronosDragon wrote:Ineffable, unerring...defectless

Ineffable is four... unerring again has the wrong accentuation... but defectless could work!

I could never figure out accentuation. How do you determine what part of a word receives stress? It seems completely arbitrary.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat May 18, 2013 6:55 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I could never figure out accentuation. How do you determine what part of a word receives stress? It seems completely arbitrary.

Just by how everyone says it... like your name for example, it's CHROnos DRAgon, not chroNOS draGON, that just sounds weird. Same with my name, it's YAPpoBIScuits, not yapPObisCUITS. Just say it out loud and it should come to you.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Sat May 18, 2013 6:59 am UTC

VATican MILliner's MOST perfect CUStomer
VATican MILliner's VERitable CUStomer (Veritable is four syllables, but fits in the rhythm with the ita sharing a beat)
VATican MILliner's TRUSTworthy CUStomer
VATican MILliner's ACcurate CUStomer
VATican MILliner's deFINitive CUStomer (four syllables, but fits the rhythm with de slipped in before FIN)
VATican MILliner's dePENdable CUStomer (four syllables, but fits the rhythm with de slipped in before PEN)
VATican MILliner's INerrant CUStomer (this is the wrong emPHAsis for inERRant, but it works as IN-errant)

Edit:
And ChronosDragon, I enjoyed part 2. Special thanks for posting the link to part 1. That was posted in one of the few sections of NP that I had to skip due to Outside intrusion.
The end is always near.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:03 am UTC

FUNONG.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:04 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I think that's a 3 analysis, lmjb.

Oh, and KITTY! :mrgreen:

Thanks, BlitzGirl!

Latent22 wrote:Also here is a Cat photo I took today. Totally not time related but its a cute cat. And who doesn't love a cute cat!
Ninja.jpg

Well, since the cat is practicing ninja moves, it's totally related.

Speaking of kitties, Latent22, I've been wanting to ask you, how do you make those changing avatars? I wanted to have my friend Catherine with me in the OTT so I put her under my chair, but you can't really see her very well. With one of those fancy avatars, I could show off both my kitty and my buffygirl headwear.

edited to fix quote weirdness.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:14 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Lucia wrote:What's mustard?

It's real! It's real I tell you!

A heretical substance conceived when it was noticed that in past versions of certain frames of Time, the GLR had inadvertently with completely knowledge of what he was doing, the GLR used a different shade of black to fill in new topology above some kind of template image. Once noticed, he quickly corrected his mistake enhanced the beauty of the OTC by making it all a single shade. From that day forward, after it was suggested in the OTT that the grey resembled Grey Poupon Mustard, that the substance later replaced by pure black ground be referred to as mustard.

This is perfect, ChronosDragon! I saw that post and wasn't sure how to answer it. Couldn't have done it anywhere near as well as you. And Chapter 2 was fantastic!

Loved the double dactyls too.

Edited to say: Sorry about the double post! Forgot that most people were comaing and posting would be slow. And I took the opportunity to comment on the noir and poetry.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 18, 2013 7:28 am UTC

ergman wrote:As long as people are talking about otherothercomics, I may as well share my list:
Spoiler:
Buni- dark, textless humor: http://www.bunicomic.com/
Sandra and Woo- a modern Calvin and Hobbes, though for a bit of an older age group: http://www.sandraandwoo.com/
Brawl in the family- it's about super smash bros. duh: http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/
And if you're really bored, you can check out my old, dead, vulgar comic, monochrome rainbow: http://monobow.thecomicseries.com/comics/random

Just for the sake of irrelevancy

The Buni man says he was on jury duty recently. One of our members was also too dumb to have an excusecivic minded enough to be on a jury. Are they related? I think we should be told.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Sat May 18, 2013 7:36 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

I guess I am on a ketchup blitz (or is it a ketchup blizzard? sure feels like it, being so far behind, despite heretically skipping ahead the other day.) So this one is from long ago. But I had to post, and if noone else has chosen this for a sig, I would like to. It is one of the most profound things I have read in this thread - I simply love it. "Nobody writing everything about nothing", indeed! This seems to be a truth everywhere, also outside.

/Lasse
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 18, 2013 7:36 am UTC

Lucia wrote:What's mustard?

Nothing. It never happened. Who told you about mustard? The drawing has always been perfect. We were just kidding about mustard. Everything was 100% black.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 18, 2013 7:40 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:

Strummity hummity─
    StratPlayer awesomeness
    Bursts from each parody,
        Pastiche, and verse;
    Such fine examples of
    Ninjaspeedblitzfilking
        Hall and rehearse.

Momity, molpity,
    BlitzGirl the versatile
        Losophy, arts,
    Commonsense peacemaking,
    Humor, and even some
    Centicuemeasuring
        Molpy-height charts.

Smashing! Give the man a lighthouse.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat May 18, 2013 7:43 am UTC

ergman_ketchup.jpg
This will be me tomorrow.

mathrec wrote:Wow. A sudden burst of long posts.

Indeed. So much so, I'll have a read of them when I can comprehend things again post-coma.

ergman wrote:And if you're really bored, you can check out my old, dead, vulgar comic, monochrome rainbow: http://monobow.thecomicseries.com/comics/random

Not bored, just not as heretical. Since you're a member, and this is your comic, that's all the sign I need that I can read this. ;) And, damn, good start with comic #1. :D ..and then, not. :? lol, sorry.

AluisioASG wrote:
Lucia wrote:Hi people. How's the waiting?

I just ordered a commission to a DeviantArt artist for a heavily-Time-inspired picture.
I'm afraid she won't understand all the references.

:( We aren't deviant enough for your art needs? (I have an there too.) And we'd do it for free. :cry:

Exodies wrote:Smashing! Give the (wo)?man a pumpkin.

FTFY

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 18, 2013 7:50 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:The Case of the Little River
Or, Une Petite Noire

Chapter 1 - The Case
Chapter 2 - The River

Spoiler:
The dauntless dame hadn't given me much to go on, but I knew it was time for a walk by a river. I'm not the type for nature walks, in fact I'm rather more partial to the kind where at least two people end up dead and justice is served as a nice appetizer. Little did I know that it was, in fact, one of those kinds of walks. Though maybe with a couple less deaths than usual, and a different kind of justice.

There I was, mindin' my own business by the side of the riverbank. Not a very big river, mind, more of a large stream. Hard to find spots like that in the big city, especially nowadays when the river has all manner of debris in it, not unlike my lungs after too many cigars to count. I was mulling over the case, or trying to anyway. My mind was wandering like a drunken souse in the small hours of the morning. All of the sudden, it hit me like a flash of lightning. An insight, and a 10-pound rock. When I came to, I was slouched on a bench with a bump the size of the hills on my noggin. Next to me was a note, in some near-unintelligible scrawl. I peered at it with squinted peepers, and made out:

Stay out of the river investigation, or the next thing to hit yer head will be a .38 caliber bullet.

That wasn't no coincidence right there. I felt for the pocket where I kept my trusty colt when I'm out and about. Much to my chagrin, my little lady was gone. A pang of sadness jolted through the fog of my awful headache, and hardened into firm resolve. I'd find the perp who did this, and make sure they learned what kind of justice I give to the guys who mess with my lady. And maybe figure somethin' out about this French chicken along the way. I needed some clues, and not ones tossed at my head from the streambed.

The capricious clientelle had mentioned another fellow, some jack who she'd been out on the beach with. A lover, if you asked me, but what did I know, he could be her brother. I needed to get the scoop on this guy if I was gonna get anywhere with this case. She'd given me her address, so I sauntered back to the office to lick my wounds and clean up a bit. When I got there, it was a sorry sight.

My ordinarily neat and tidy maple desk was taking a nap on its side, and its papery guts were spilled all over the floor. Shards of glass from the broken lamp were strewn across the floor alongside like bits of gravel in a river, and books on the shelf were all askew. I scanned the room, and sighed with relief. My guilty pleasure, an odd lil' book with the some nonsensical title, was still in its place. I halfheartedly straightened up a bit, then figured I could deal with the mess later. I left a note for my pretty little secretary, a ginger doll with a heart as fiery as her hair, telling her I was out and would deal with the mess later. Then I remembered she'd quit not 3 days before, and crumpled it up. My reverse psychology never worked on her, anyway.

I stopped in front of a window on the way out to straighten my hat in the reflection. The raindrops on the window twisted the view of the outside, but I saw a blue humdinger of a car sitting lazily on the other side of the street. I shrugged, spat on my hand, smoothed down my hair, winced a bit, and then left. Next stop, the client's place. And boy, at this point, I was really desperate to find something, or I wouldn't be able to afford the gumshoe business much longer.

To be continued, in Chapter 3 - The Break

Bravo!
You can have my share of the posters royalties when the cheque arrives.
Last edited by Exodies on Sat May 18, 2013 1:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 18, 2013 7:52 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:

Vatican Milliner

Use the Italian - perfetto

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 18, 2013 7:58 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:FUNONG.

I'm intrigued by the bank being undercut. Shouldn't that only happen on the outside bank of a bend in the river?

EDIT triple po ... Oh yes it's weekend.
Two back packs to carry one water boomerdildogun. It seems excessive.
Last edited by Exodies on Sat May 18, 2013 8:08 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat May 18, 2013 8:03 am UTC

ONGTOTHENEXTSEGMENT

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat May 18, 2013 8:07 am UTC

Prediction: Camera turn 90° out over the river, following them again hiking parallel to the river.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 18, 2013 8:24 am UTC

So, slow Saturday morning on the Tread, this is what I otherwise watch:
Gorgeous Tiny Chicken Machine Show
Monkey Dust
That monkey episode is related to our Inquisitor.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:01 am UTC

Moving AlONG

Ah, it's that Time--just 6 users on the OTT. Must mean it's time for me to coma.

Edited to say--just 5 users now. I think that's the lowest I've ever seen. And soon it will be four...

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Sat May 18, 2013 9:13 am UTC

They have bodies. Sure, they have before, but it's still freaky.

Re: double dactyls: there must be some variation on caffeinatedcancerbabies that fits your needs.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:19 am UTC

Lucia wrote:They have bodies. Sure, they have before, but it's still freaky.

Nah, it's their backpacks, I'm afraid.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat May 18, 2013 9:20 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Prediction: Camera turn 90° out over the river, following them again hiking parallel to the river.

Hey Sciscitor, did you ever solve your information content problem? I thought of a way, but you have to control/capture the coding dictionary:
(1) compress the entire thread, (2) capture the dictionary, (3) compress each message using the captured dictionary, (4) ratios of compressed file sizes are proportional to information content ratios.
Then I went looking for a compression program (doesn't have to be the best, really, if all you are looking for is an estimate of information content), and found one that discusses something similar to my method (at least as I understand it in my current mid-coma interlude). http://www.cbloom.com/src/ppmz.html
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Lucia

Postby Lucia » Sat May 18, 2013 9:23 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:
Lucia wrote:They have bodies. Sure, they have before, but it's still freaky.

Nah, it's their backpacks, I'm afraid.

Oh thank goodness.
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 18, 2013 9:37 am UTC

Or else they've fattened themselves up for the long journey ahead... :wink:

Anyone for roasted bird-which-I-thought-about-calling-a-rabtor-but-am-not-convinced-of-the-rab-part and river water?
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sat May 18, 2013 9:51 am UTC

Exodies wrote:I'm intrigued by the bank being undercut. Shouldn't that only happen on the outside bank of a bend in the river?

I think it's just grass sticking out; it's not really undercut.

I liked the double dactyls. My favourite double dactyl is siamese pterosaur.

Exodies wrote:Two back packs to carry one water boomerdildogun. It seems excessive.
Hmm, water dilgunnerang is another double dactyl.

I enjoyed salsaing the otherother comic 1/0. It stopped (with a properly-wrapped-up storyline) at 1000, so once condimented, always condimented.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 10:02 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:
mscha wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:
- a bottle containing a carbonated beverage
- the valve-like device attached to the side of your house that you might attach a garden hose to
- a paper container that the grocery store puts your purchases into so you can carry them out

For the record:
- “frisdank”, or simply “fris”
- “kraan”
- “zak”

Thanks for sharing. Welcome to Earth!

So, when I read mscha's quote, my first thought (not entirely unreasonable, given OTT history), was that it was encrypted, or Klingon, or...but now I find out that it is Dutch, and I am an idiot. :oops: Sorry for insinuating you were not from Earth. I'll just slink out of the room now and hope no one notices.

Geen probleem. 8-)
Dutch and Klingon are quite similar, admittedly. (Especially with the guttural G sound.) ;)

HES wrote:dONGble post
Spoiler:

That's too bad... Newpixbot had a cool ONG lined up for this one.
newpixbot didn't wrote:πONG...

See if you can figure it out...
Yes, I know that's grammatically wrong, but can't fix that.

About Other Other Comics: I don't think Diesel Sweeties had been mentioned yet. That's one of my favourites. (After the OTC and the Other Comic, of course! Hold the chocolate!)

ChronosDragon: thanks for the new noir chapter. Can't wait to read chapter 3!
Too bad that you're already been Buffydasheried. Otherwise she could draw some inspiration from
Spoiler:

lmjb1964 wrote:Speaking of kitties, Latent22, I've been wanting to ask you, how do you make those changing avatars? I wanted to have my friend Catherine with me in the OTT so I put her under my chair, but you can't really see her very well. With one of those fancy avatars, I could show off both my kitty and my buffygirl headwear.

I'm not Latent22, of course. But there are plenty of different tools you can use; I use command-line tools that aren't for the fainthearted...
Easiest is probably to use one of many online animated gif creators.

jjjdavidson: I'm sure it's not a coincidence that your username is a double dactyl... (More later, I hope.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat May 18, 2013 10:02 am UTC

And the journey continues...ONG
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:07 am UTC

GoneONG!
Spoiler:

/Ninja'd.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 10:07 am UTC

ttscp wrote:And the journey continues...ONG
Spoiler:

Pre-ninja'd. Too bad, my ONG was better, IMO. (GONGE...)

Let's hope we'll go with them next frame. Otherwise, we'll have to start doomsaying about the End of Time again...

Edit:
Kazza3 wrote:GoneONG!
Spoiler:

/Ninja'd.

That's hardly ninjaing, it was posted 4 minutes before yours. ;)
Last edited by mscha on Sat May 18, 2013 10:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:09 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Also here is a Cat photo I took today. Totally not time related but its a cute cat. And who doesn't love a cute cat!
Ninja.jpg

Well, since the cat is practicing ninja moves, it's totally related.

Speaking of kitties, Latent22, I've been wanting to ask you, how do you make those changing avatars? I wanted to have my friend Catherine with me in the OTT so I put her under my chair, but you can't really see her very well. With one of those fancy avatars, I could show off both my kitty and my buffygirl headwear.

edited to fix quote weirdness.

That is done by creating an animated gif or png file. You can use advanced image editing software like photoshop or gimp to make them yourselves. Many other programs may do it as well. You can also make them on websites by uploading several images to a website and it outputs a finished gif for you. Just google "online animated gif maker".

Note all the images need to be the same size to make it easy. Though their is a trick you can use which is to make any smaller images have a transparent background for the bits they are missing which will work fine as a forum avatar.

Edit: Ninja'd by mscha!
Spoiler:

Edit2: Man that photo looks so much like I've just done a bad photoshop paste of her into the image for some reason. Just got a new camera for our trip to Europe and was testing action shots.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”