1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
mathrec
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:30 am UTC
Location: Carlsbad, California
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mathrec » Tue May 21, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:...I think your star has a spare tire.

are we done now?

Hmm... "I peer (at) a star" has "a spare tire".
Dracomax wrote:...It's just these puns are full of hot air.
...

What, no, "these puns" doesn't have any of the right letters...

uh, ... oh, different game.

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue May 21, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:re: measuring creativity:
*squints at charlie_grumbles* is that a ..... hat? An Unsanctified non-BuffyDashery Hat I see??? CALL THE SCHOOLMASTER VELOCIRABTOR!

Aye, alas it is a hat, but doffed to your own self. I despaired of ever being able to earn one, so I just grabbed any old thing to cover my poor bald pate. I beg indulgence. And forgiveness.

edit: Fixed Quoting - sorry to confuse.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Tue May 21, 2013 9:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 21, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:Children, children! Enough already!

Awww... We were just having a little fun. And you have to come in and say "NIE_SPORT!"

Ok, that's a stretch, but he could be the Mscha who says "NIE"...

More likely he is the Mscha who says
Spoiler:
oh god, I'm so sorry, so sorry the car just came too fast and she was right there and then it was a blur and so much I ran to help I didn't know what she wasn't moving I'm so sorry


Well, yeah, but everyone says that.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Tue May 21, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
ergman wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:Children, children! Enough already!

Awww... We were just having a little fun. And you have to come in and say "NIE_SPORT!"

Ok, that's a stretch, but he could be the Mscha who says "NIE"...

More likely he is the Mscha who says
Spoiler:
oh god, I'm so sorry, so sorry the car just came too fast and she was right there and then it was a blur and so much I ran to help I didn't know what she wasn't moving I'm so sorry

?


http://xkcd.com/16/
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 21, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
Dracomax wrote:...I think your star has a spare tire.

are we done now?

Hmm... "I peer (at) a star" has "a spare tire".
Dracomax wrote:...It's just these puns are full of hot air.
...

What, no, "these puns" doesn't have any of the right letters...

uh, ... oh, different game.

Rim shot.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
fatness
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:05 am UTC
Location: Sometime last week

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fatness » Tue May 21, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
buffygirl wrote:*squints at charlie_grumbles* is that a ..... hat? An Unsanctified non-BuffyDashery Hat I see??? CALL THE SCHOOLMASTER VELOCIRABTOR!

You rang, milady?
Image

I dunno which is worse...the original pun or that on first read I saw 'velocibrator'. :shock:

Which gives me a new product idea...

User avatar
astrocub
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby astrocub » Tue May 21, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

Pun Gent1 wrote:Sorry to act the Noob here, but has it ever been mentioned if this whole shebang might be available as a continuous slide show at some point in the future? Maybe as an animated Gif? Is there any endgame for this wonderful diversion (not that I'm looking forward to an ending), but I was curious if there was one mentioned previously. Has anyone collected outside this forum all of the pics on a single page to view? I didn't realize until now that it was being updated every 1/2 hour, and while I checked back on it daily I know I'm missing quite a bit of it.

Thanks!

'Drew


You're one of today's lucky 10,000! Conhatulations, and thanks to StratPlayer for that thorough linkfest. Also, have you noticed the javascript?

User avatar
mathrec
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:30 am UTC
Location: Carlsbad, California
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mathrec » Tue May 21, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

OK. New game:
THEN TUE DRIPS THE TIRED PUNS
{THEN TUE DRIPS} == {THE TIRED PUNS}

...but it has to be relevant to the other posts in the thread
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 21, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:OK. New game:
THEN TUE DRIPS THE TIRED PUNS
{THEN TUE DRIPS} == {THE TIRED PUNS}

...but it has to be relevant to the other posts in the thread

So, puns in anagram form? Elaborate, please.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 21, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Opiboble wrote:*yawn*


I'm sorry -- Did we wake you up? I'll try and type more softly from now on...

Oh, no don't let me interrupt your fun :p
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6900
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Tue May 21, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
mscha wrote:
ergman wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:Children, children! Enough already!

Awww... We were just having a little fun. And you have to come in and say "NIE_SPORT!"

Ok, that's a stretch, but he could be the Mscha who says "NIE"...

More likely he is the Mscha who says
Spoiler:
oh god, I'm so sorry, so sorry the car just came too fast and she was right there and then it was a blur and so much I ran to help I didn't know what she wasn't moving I'm so sorry

?

http://xkcd.com/16/

Ah. That one's so old I didn't remember it.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
dreiarmumig
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby dreiarmumig » Tue May 21, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

And thus came the third (?) apuncalypse. I'm away for a few pneupix.

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 21, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

Swein wrote:
mscha wrote:Quick report from the Molpy Monitor: no moply activity since the last report, on the last 5 scenes. (Unless you count the potential Molpy hole that Whizbang spotted and ergman identified.
Edit: maybe they've climbed above the Molpy line?


Ah, but soon they will encounter the mountain molpys...

Spoiler:
Image


This totally reminds me of Trollhunter - one of my favorite movies. :)
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Tue May 21, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

Inspired by the other Sagas written here, I, too decided to turn my little short story from a long long Time ago into a full-fledged saga.
Wait for it The Last Time Waiter, Chapter 1: The Clock Ticks.

Now I need a list of all religious sects over here and their leaders.

EDIT: it's ready. I just need that list.
EDIT 2: done.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Tue May 21, 2013 5:16 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 21, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

fatness wrote:
mscha wrote:
buffygirl wrote:*squints at charlie_grumbles* is that a ..... hat? An Unsanctified non-BuffyDashery Hat I see??? CALL THE SCHOOLMASTER VELOCIRABTOR!

You rang, milady?
Image

I dunno which is worse...the original pun or that on first read I saw 'velocibrator'. :shock:

Which gives me a new product idea...


You might be able to market it to the same consumers who buy a dilgunerang...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
mathrec
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:30 am UTC
Location: Carlsbad, California
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mathrec » Tue May 21, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
mathrec wrote:OK. New game:
THEN TUE DRIPS THE TIRED PUNS
{THEN TUE DRIPS} == {THE TIRED PUNS}

...but it has to be relevant to the other posts in the thread

So, puns in anagram form? Elaborate, please.

Not necessarily puns. Just any "relevant" comment composed as two halves that are anagrams of each other. (Relevant is a slippery term in this forum.)
dreiarmumig wrote:And thus came the third (?) apuncalypse. I'm away for a few pneupix.

I liked that one. Not that the other puns weren't good. I appreciate everyone's contribution but some puns are better than others.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

User avatar
Rule110
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Rule110 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

My hobby: jumping on bandwagons long after they've been ditched by the side of the road and stripped for parts. So, here's my first-ever OTC song.

The Sandcastles High (Part 1)

A long long Time ago
I can still remember
How those castles used to make me smile
And I knew if they had their chance
That they could meet that girl from France
And maybe they'd go swimming for a while
But crumbling dikes were looking dire
With every frame the sea rose higher
No time for more black flags
So they both packed their back-bags
And I do remember doubt and fright
When I saw the castles fade from sight
I knew something wasn't right
The day the scene turned white

So bye bye to the sandcastles high
Gonna travel to unravel why the water's awry
The sea is rising but the river is dry
And it's time we go to figure out why
Time we go to figure out way

Spoiler:
[up-tempo]
Now, for so long they sat by the sea
Chillin' in each other's company
Seemed they had nothing to do
But when Megan started piling sand
And then Cueball turned and lent a hand
We all saw how they were on to something new
Soon a castle stood there by the bay
"Later," Cueball said, and he walked away
Megan still in the zone
Kept working all alone
When Cueball came back, they built some more
The view pulled back to show next door
All of this happened long before
The day the scene turned white
They'd be singing...

(chorus)

Next they planted flags, then went for a dip
But an accidental salty sip
Had Megan feeling some regret
Cueball built more, like he had a plan
And shaped an airy center span
But then Megan showed up with a trebuchet
When the dust cleared they built anew
The biggest tower yet soon grew
Sand piled wide and tall
Where Megan took a fall
Then Cueball added new decor:
The castle in miniature
They still had lots of Time before
The day the scene turned white
When they'd be singing...

(chorus)

Now the sea does what it wants to do
But the rising tide was something new
Megan didn't understand
Said they can't heap sand higher than that
So with poles and beams and planks and slats
They raised up a lofty platform in the sand
Megan used ropes to try to rise
But gravity ruled otherwise
Still they built way up there
Fine castles in the air
They said, we love our neat display
But we think it's going to go away
There was no way they could delay
The day the scene turned white
We were singing...

(chorus)

[slower tempo]
Met La Petite during Megan's snooze
And we thought she might bring happy news
But she just smiled and turned away
When the water made the tower tip
The pair packed up to take their trip
And Megan said "bye" on that fateful day
And as the black turned into gray
La Petite returned but she didn't stay
The castles lonely standing
The ocean still expanding
And just as the last gray disappeared
La Petite came back, with something weird
It was the end of Time, we feared
The day the scene turned white
They were singing...

Bye bye to our sandcastles high
Gonna travel to unravel why the water's awry
The sea is rising but our river is dry
And it's time we go to figure out why
Time we go to figure out way

(Even though it's only one stanza shorter than the original lengthy song, this only covers half of Time so far. There will eventually be a Part 2. Wait for it.)
Last edited by Rule110 on Tue May 21, 2013 6:02 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 21, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
mathrec wrote:OK. New game:
THEN TUE DRIPS THE TIRED PUNS
{THEN TUE DRIPS} == {THE TIRED PUNS}

...but it has to be relevant to the other posts in the thread

So, puns in anagram form? Elaborate, please.

Not necessarily puns. Just any "relevant" comment composed as two halves that are anagrams of each other. (Relevant is a slippery term in this forum.)
dreiarmumig wrote:And thus came the third (?) apuncalypse. I'm away for a few pneupix.

I liked that one. Not that the other puns weren't good. I appreciate everyone's contribution but some puns are better than others.
Oh, I get it, that's actually kind of clever. Although, Electrification dealt sky tv.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Tue May 21, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

[blind Image from ~8np behind]

Vytron wrote:Contains wall of quotes and huge text
Spoiler:
Image
Vytron, that was supposed to be our little secret! lol.

Exodies wrote:Unrelated funny story: I bet there were fewer people at my marriage than anyone else's - there were 0, zero, none. We forgot to go. Arranged a second attempt, there were 6 that time.

ETA in case you think that couldn't have been serious, we're still together 33 years later. "It's just a piece of paper, but it says 'I love you'".
That's sweet. So, then you must be gay? lol ;)

RobIrr wrote:Right... Time off to brush Tiddler's hair and get her to school...
Is that her name, or were you saying "toddler"?

Eternal Density wrote:
Spoiler:
To me, same-sex marriage means about as much as 'single marriage' or 'ocean marriage'. Not wanting people to do it is equivalent to not wanting people to have their proverbial cake and eat it. You can 'legalize' it all you want but that doesn't make it actual marriage any more than allowing me to marry myself makes me actually in a marriage.
That's sad to hear from you, ED. I would extend your thought to say "all marriage is not meaningful". It, of course, is only about the love you have for another. And yes, you should love yourself. The world needs a lot more people who care about themselves.

P.S. PLEASE NO FLAMEWARRING OVER THIS. We can find another thread on the forum for those purposes.

PhoenixRising wrote:
Spoiler:
Ace wrote:The non-fizzy lemon drink is sometimes called 'lemon squash', as well. When I was up north, lemon squash was the beverage of choice for the designated driver - some pubs even offered it free to the driver.


This is an amazing idea. I have no idea why we don't do that up here in the USA... instead, as far as I can tell, we just discuss designated drivers no end and hope people go with it. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.
They do offer sprites at bars in the US. The US is a big place, so let's say California. *shrug* It's not a law, so it's just a courtesy, not universal.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
thirds
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:16 pm UTC
Location: Tenrec Burrow NP1254

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby thirds » Tue May 21, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

GlaurONG

Image

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Tue May 21, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:<snip>And at the moment we're under a tornado warning here, so I'm a little distracted. (But not completely distracted, which makes me wonder about my priorities.)

Oh no!! With all the stuff in the news about those poor children in Oklahoma, I'm sure a tornado threat is *not* fun. In 1998 we had 9 tornadoes go through Nashville in one day - and the F3 went through my neighborhood, so I know how that feels. As a mom I couldn't imagine pacing around the rubble of a school wondering if my kid is still alive under there. :( Sorry to take it to that depressing note... just hoping you're OK. <3

mathrec wrote:Thank you for your dactyl's. You inspire me.
Spoiler:
Timety wimetey
Valarya guides us as
Card'nal of Cupcakes and
Luscious Sorbet.

Forever restoring our
gastrointestinal
fullness and wellness each
Outsider day.

*wipes crumbs* 8-)

:oops: :D <3 And I was inspired, in turn, by all the other amazing Dactyls. I'm kind of obsessed with them at the moment and have been writing them off the OTT {eep, heresy}. I don't see myself stopping any time soon.

lmjb1964 wrote:Thanks for yer poem and the the tally, Valayra! Both were dactylagnificent! (I think thats the word you used, right? Great word!)

Auhgh, trying post on my crappy phone with its stupid spell check and broken screen sucks!

I think I see more broken iPhone screens than I see whole ones. >< And thanks! <3

AnotherKevin wrote:
Spoiler:
Makery bakery
Poster Valarya brings
Cupcakes and other small
Sweets to the thread.
Better stay current: the
Micro-patisseries
Taste bad with ketchup.
(Use icing instead!)

Haha, *claps* that was a good one. Although now I have a sour look on my face at the thought of ketchup on cupcakes. Image

fhorn wrote:<snip>
Valarya, ....nothing can replace your cupcakes!

:mrgreen: <3 <3

azule wrote:Thanks, Smithers, but it looks like I don't need to share, what with sorbet cupcakes! and some sort of booby-shaped sorbet treat! Thanks, Exodies. And thanks for not getting mad, but just going with the flow, Valarya. :D

Sorbet is delicious!! It makes me want to make one of those sorbet cupcakes IRL Outside.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
tman2nd
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere south of the North Poll

Spoiler Report 6

Postby tman2nd » Tue May 21, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

yangosplat wrote:[img]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png[/img ]

Not much going on now anyway.

More spoiler on page 124.
Last edited by tman2nd on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Tue May 21, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

thirds wrote:GlaurONG
Spoiler:
Image


I bet they found it.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
mathrec
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:30 am UTC
Location: Carlsbad, California
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mathrec » Tue May 21, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
mathrec wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
mathrec wrote:OK. New game:
THEN TUE DRIPS THE TIRED PUNS
{THEN TUE DRIPS} == {THE TIRED PUNS}

...but it has to be relevant to the other posts in the thread

So, puns in anagram form? Elaborate, please.

Not necessarily puns. Just any "relevant" comment composed as two halves that are anagrams of each other. (Relevant is a slippery term in this forum.)
dreiarmumig wrote:And thus came the third (?) apuncalypse. I'm away for a few pneupix.

I liked that one. Not that the other puns weren't good. I appreciate everyone's contribution but some puns are better than others.
Oh, I get it, that's actually kind of clever. Although, Electrification dealt sky tv.

guh ...um, what? Oh, I see...your two sentences are anagrams of each other, but the object is to have a single coherent idea that is expressed in two anagram halves. It's like making palindromes, but much more flexible.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 21, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

Spoilered because controversy.
Spoiler:
azule wrote:[blind Image from ~8np behind]



Eternal Density wrote:To me, same-sex marriage means about as much as 'single marriage' or 'ocean marriage'. Not wanting people to do it is equivalent to not wanting people to have their proverbial cake and eat it. You can 'legalize' it all you want but that doesn't make it actual marriage any more than allowing me to marry myself makes me actually in a marriage.
That's sad to hear from you, ED. I would extend your thought to say "all marriage is not meaningful". It, of course, is only about the love you have for another. And yes, you should love yourself. The world needs a lot more people who care about themselves.

P.S. PLEASE NO FLAMEWARRING OVER THIS. We can find another thread on the forum for those purposes.

There is a reason we dropped it immediatly. Regardless of your thoughts on the issue, I have never seen a discussion of that particular topic that didn't end in flamewar. For those blitzing to this point: please, please, please just let it go. This is neither the time, the place, nor the right atmosphere for that discussion.

Rule 110, in the second main stanza, you have
And kept working alone
.
It feels a beat off. maybe "and kept working all alone" /nitpick

otherwise, bravo.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
Sciscitor
Posts: 503
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:20 am UTC
Location: Austria

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Sciscitor » Tue May 21, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

I am afraid a slooowww zoom out will follow.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 21, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
mathrec wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
mathrec wrote:OK. New game:
THEN TUE DRIPS THE TIRED PUNS
{THEN TUE DRIPS} == {THE TIRED PUNS}

...but it has to be relevant to the other posts in the thread

So, puns in anagram form? Elaborate, please.

Not necessarily puns. Just any "relevant" comment composed as two halves that are anagrams of each other. (Relevant is a slippery term in this forum.)
dreiarmumig wrote:And thus came the third (?) apuncalypse. I'm away for a few pneupix.

I liked that one. Not that the other puns weren't good. I appreciate everyone's contribution but some puns are better than others.
Oh, I get it, that's actually kind of clever. Although, Electrification dealt sky tv.

guh ...um, what? Oh, I see...your two sentences are anagrams of each other, but the object is to have a single coherent idea that is expressed in two anagram halves. It's like making palindromes, but much more flexible.

huh? your initial one.."THEN TUE DRIPS THE TIRED PUNS" doesn't really make any sense as a coherent idea. Am I missing something?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
TimeLurker
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 3:07 pm UTC
Location: the shadows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby TimeLurker » Tue May 21, 2013 5:13 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:I am afraid a slooowww zoom out will follow.

as long as we get to see what she sees eventually.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Tue May 21, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

So, I present you with The Last Time Waiter, Chapter 1: The Clock Ticks.
Spoiler:
The Order of the Time Waiters was deeply worried. Their numbers had been decreasing at an alarming rate, and soon there would be too few of them to perform all the work that had to be done. The leaders of the many sects of the Order had been convened to discuss the issue.

― As all of you should be aware of already, we are currently losing many of our members to Time, and our efforts to replenish our numbers have failed catastrophically.
― As you said, Pope Helper, we are well aware of the issue. Do you have any solutions?
― Unfortunately, Arch-Cardinal, I do not have. However, I heard that the Archduchess here does.
― Is that true, BlitzGirl?
― Indeed it is, Arch-Cardinal buffygirl. I've been told that, near the Northern Lights, lives an Engineer, who has done many great and persistent things. I was wondering that maybe we could ask him to build us something capable of, in the long run, make sure Time is properly recorded and documented, even after we cease to exist.
― You mean, capable of replacing us. That is heresy!
― Have you finally hit the bottom of madness, BlitzGirl? Are you really suggesting replacing humans with a… a… machine?
― I understand your reluctance, brothers and sisters. For a long time I conflicted myself with these thoughts. But we must remember that no living being can resist to the effects of Time itself. If one is to fully document Time, one can not belong to the realm of the living.

Minutes of silence went by, until it was broken by the Arch-Cardinal.

― Very well. Unless someone has a better suggestion, I believe we must follow the Archduchess' plan.
And so the quest for the Northern Lights began.

(Maybe I keep twerking this chapter for a while. Suggestions welcome.)
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
Bytes
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Bytes » Tue May 21, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

Dammit this is exciting...
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

User avatar
tman2nd
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere south of the North Poll

Spoiler Report 7

Postby tman2nd » Tue May 21, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

swey wrote:
yangosplat wrote:[img]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png[/img ]

Not much going on now anyway.
2:30

And the spoiler infection spreads through a quote.
Last edited by tman2nd on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

User avatar
Davidy
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Wow!

Postby Davidy » Tue May 21, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

Image
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 21, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

I need candy...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
mathrec
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:30 am UTC
Location: Carlsbad, California
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mathrec » Tue May 21, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
mathrec wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
mathrec wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
mathrec wrote:OK. New game:
THEN TUE DRIPS THE TIRED PUNS
{THEN TUE DRIPS} == {THE TIRED PUNS}

...but it has to be relevant to the other posts in the thread

So, puns in anagram form? Elaborate, please.

Not necessarily puns. Just any "relevant" comment composed as two halves that are anagrams of each other. (Relevant is a slippery term in this forum.)
dreiarmumig wrote:And thus came the third (?) apuncalypse. I'm away for a few pneupix.

I liked that one. Not that the other puns weren't good. I appreciate everyone's contribution but some puns are better than others.
Oh, I get it, that's actually kind of clever. Although, Electrification dealt sky tv.

guh ...um, what? Oh, I see...your two sentences are anagrams of each other, but the object is to have a single coherent idea that is expressed in two anagram halves. It's like making palindromes, but much more flexible.

huh? your initial one.."THEN TUE DRIPS THE TIRED PUNS" doesn't really make any sense as a coherent idea. Am I missing something?

Today is Tuesday. This day is dripping with tired puns.

How about a comment on the current newpix? One newpix deadline.

User avatar
astrocub
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby astrocub » Tue May 21, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

I hope it's a waterfall semencancerbabyfall!

User avatar
Ebonite
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Ebonite » Tue May 21, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:My hobby: jumping on bandwagons long after they've been ditched by the side of the road and stripped for parts. So, here's my first-ever OTC song.

The Sandcastles High (Part 1)


You beat me to it! I had been thinking about writing a parody based on "American Pie" for a while now. :D

You did a great job, though! (Applause, applause!)
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 21, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
Rule110 wrote:My hobby: jumping on bandwagons long after they've been ditched by the side of the road and stripped for parts. So, here's my first-ever OTC song.

The Sandcastles High (Part 1)


You beat me to it! I had been thinking about writing a parody based on "American Pie" for a while now. :D

You did a great job, though! (Applause, applause!)


Agreed! Excellent piece!!! Perfect rhyme and meter. And it also works out wonderfully since the song's been referenced within the OTT. We're big on recursive redundant references 'round here. :wink:
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6790
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Tue May 21, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:Yes, I was pouty for a minute mip (is that right?)
Well, within a factor of about a hundred thousand. :)

Ebonite wrote:That's right! So tread lightly.
Hoping that joke will get some traction? Or, seeing the other responses, maybe it's hit the skids.

tman2nd wrote:More spoiler on page 124.
tman2nd wrote:And the spoiler infection spreads through a quote.[by swey]

Still before my time, so I can't put up a lighthouse. Anybody else? Simply edit a post of yours before page 124 to warn of the spoiler ahead.

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Tue May 21, 2013 5:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 21, 2013 5:45 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:So, I present you with The Last Time Waiter, Chapter 1: The Clock Ticks.
Spoiler:
The Order of the Time Waiters was deeply worried. Their numbers had been decreasing at an alarming rate, and soon there would be too few of them to perform all the work that had to be done. The leaders of the many sects of the Order had been convened to discuss the issue.

― As all of you should be aware of already, we are currently losing many of our members to Time, and our efforts to replenish our numbers have failed catastrophically.
― As you said, Pope Helper, we are well aware of the issue. Do you have any solutions?
― Unfortunately, Arch-Cardinal, I do not have. However, I heard that the Archduchess here does.
― Is that true, BlitzGirl?
― Indeed it is, Arch-Cardinal buffygirl. I've been told that, near the Northern Lights, lives an Engineer, who has done many great and persistent things. I was wondering that maybe we could ask him to build us something capable of, in the long run, make sure Time is properly recorded and documented, even after we cease to exist.
― You mean, capable of replacing us. That is heresy!
― Have you finally hit the bottom of madness, BlitzGirl? Are you really suggesting replacing humans with a… a… machine?
― I understand your reluctance, brothers and sisters. For a long time I conflicted myself with these thoughts. But we must remember that no living being can resist to the effects of Time itself. If one is to fully document Time, one can not belong to the realm of the living.

Minutes of silence went by, until it was broken by the Arch-Cardinal.

― Very well. Unless someone has a better suggestion, I believe we must follow the Archduchess' plan.
And so the quest for the Northern Lights began.

(Maybe I keep twerking this chapter for a while. Suggestions welcome.)


I like this. The one suggestion I would make is to write it as actual dialogue with attributing tags, and maybe some setup between the dialogue. For example:

Helper stood and addressed the other leaders. "As all of you should be aware of already," she said, "we are currently losing many of our members to Time, and our efforts to replenish our numbers have failed catastrophically."

This makes it much easier to follow the dialogue and understand who's speaking.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
fatness
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:05 am UTC
Location: Sometime last week

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fatness » Tue May 21, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:I am afraid a slooowww zoom out will follow.

as long as we get to see what she sees eventually.


If you haven't watched LOST and intend to some TIME, don't look inside:
Spoiler:
If it is a giant foot statue I'm gonna be pissed.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 83 guests