1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dracomax

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 22, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
mathrec wrote:
jetpac wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
edfel wrote:
Valarya wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:YESCUEBONG
That makes complete sense.

Hmm... maybe it's a suntree?

It... it does?! Cueball, sometimes you just shouldn't open your mouth at all, because when you do, we see glazed babies.

Of course it does: if a treewow, that can grow this big, decides that bending this way is a good move in life, then the last thing I'd be doing is suggesting that it's wrong simply because it is way bigger than me.

It may be way bigger than me, but based upon my experience with trees, I'm almost certainly much, much faster. and I have opposable thumbs. and a chainsaw.

Who gave the inquisitor a chainsaw? This seems extremely dangerous for those of us who have become accustomed to comfy chairs, chocolate, and burnt steaks.

OK, I understand the Inquisitor feels that he needs to be equipped to cut down the tallest tree in the forest, but we simply cannot allow him to have something as dangerous as a chainsaw. I suggest he be issued
Spoiler:
a herring!

Edit: ...some of the wow trees have two main branches at the top. I think this one simply lost one side, say in a lightning strike, for example.

I concur, a herring would be a good weapon.

On a side note: Well done steaks are not burnt unless you don't know how to cook meat.

While that may be true, it is immaterial to the post, because one of the recognised punishments of the inquisition is that we burn§ the steak at you.(as opposed to burning you at the stake)

§Preferably ablatively from orbit, but when we don't have the budget of NASA or the GLR, we make do with more terrestrial means.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
mathrec wrote:
jetpac wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
edfel wrote:
Valarya wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:YESCUEBONG
That makes complete sense.

Hmm... maybe it's a suntree?

It... it does?! Cueball, sometimes you just shouldn't open your mouth at all, because when you do, we see glazed babies.

Of course it does: if a treewow, that can grow this big, decides that bending this way is a good move in life, then the last thing I'd be doing is suggesting that it's wrong simply because it is way bigger than me.

It may be way bigger than me, but based upon my experience with trees, I'm almost certainly much, much faster. and I have opposable thumbs. and a chainsaw.

Who gave the inquisitor a chainsaw? This seems extremely dangerous for those of us who have become accustomed to comfy chairs, chocolate, and burnt steaks.

OK, I understand the Inquisitor feels that he needs to be equipped to cut down the tallest tree in the forest, but we simply cannot allow him to have something as dangerous as a chainsaw. I suggest he be issued
Spoiler:
a herring!

Edit: ...some of the wow trees have two main branches at the top. I think this one simply lost one side, say in a lightning strike, for example.

I concur, a herring would be a good weapon.

On a side note: Well done steaks are not burnt unless you don't know how to cook meat.

While that may be true, it is immaterial to the post, because one of the recognised punishments of the inquisition is that we burn§ the steak at you.(as opposed to burning you at the stake)

§Preferably ablatively from orbit, but when we don't have the budget of NASA or the GLR, we make do with more terrestrial means.

I was under the impression that we were throwing well done steaks... Oops.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 22, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
Cueball wrote:It's a pretty big tree.
It probably knows what it's doing.

This suggest that perhaps Megan and Cueball are children. Older than La Petite, but still you enough to think that grownups have all the answers, so, it something is big (like sea¹ or crooked Baobab⁸), it must know what it's doing.
I think footnotes in your sig is a bad idea... You can never change your sig without destroying all those posts you made with references.

Oh, it certainly is. But if we only do things that make sense in the OTT, it'll quicky become a boring (and empty) place. Image
In principle I only add to the list, so compatibility shouldn't be an issue¹¹.
(The footnote list is also a nice teaser for Blitzers: “I wonder what will be in the future that is pretty big and knows what it's doing.”)

Kieryn wrote:Edit: Also, when I quote you, like this, I lose your footnotes.

Certainly true. But I refer the honourable gentleman to the comment I made above.
(Also, of you see “sea¹”, do you really need to look up the footnote?)

¹¹: Except for that one time I realized I was missing “neat” and wanted to put it in the right position. I actually did edit all previous messages that referred to the renumbered footnotes.¹²
¹²: I'm gonna get in trouble when my default list extends to the 11th footnote... Or actually, not really. They're clearly labeled as default footnotes, and are thus overridden by those in the message.
Last edited by mscha on Wed May 22, 2013 6:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed May 22, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

A visual of the different zoom levels we have seen Megball at:

The first two are from the pre-expansion era, the third from after the expansion, the fourth from recently when they saw the baobab trees, and the last two from when they were walking along the river where it split.

If their smallest selves met up with their largest selves:

Of course, the biggest change was this:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
(edited to attach images because imageshack links don't work anymore)
size-biggest.png
sizecomb.png
sizecomb.png (3.67 KiB) Viewed 7563 times
sizeadj.png
sizeadj.png (6.67 KiB) Viewed 7563 times
Last edited by Earthling on Mars on Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 22, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Wait, I think I know why this tree looks different than it did before (during the temporary zoomout). It's drawn all funny to show us their perspective of the tree, because a tree looks very different when viewed up close as opposed to far away. The top of the tree (from the point where it bends to the top) is skewed to the left, as if it had hit an invisible cieling but had kept growing after bending 90°, or if it were a wall poster that's taller than the wall and has the top part pressed flat against the ceiling.
If that makes any sense. It's hard for me to explain.

While I agree with the posters who have already said this is a third (or fourth) tree, not a different view of one of the first two, perhaps this illustrates something like what you were trying to say:
Spoiler:
Or perhaps not. :)

Thank you (and several others) for pointing out they had passed more trees. I tend to somewhat lose track of what's going in the comic when I'm kvetching up with the thread, and that was one of the things I missed.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed May 22, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

Eschery Peschery
It's not a poster-tree
Bent horizontally.
Just its bad luck
Losing by tragedy
Half of its canopy
Thermoelectrically
When lightning1 struck.

Here's what it should look like:
fixedbaobab.png
fixedbaobab.png (17.73 KiB) Viewed 12352 times

1or Dracomax's chainsaw
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed May 22, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:A visual of the different zoom levels we have seen Megball at:

The first two are from the pre-expansion era, the third from after the expansion, the fourth from recently when they saw the baobab trees, and the last two from when they were walking along the river where it split.

Spoiler:

Well there's an explanation of molpies right there! Time traveling cuegans from a time when the frame is very zoomed out.

Perhaps the entire black landscape they've been traveling is just a lock of a giant Megan's luscious hair
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 22, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

AdansONGia grandidieri...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 22, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:A visual of the different zoom levels we have seen Megball at:

Spoiler:

Well there's an explanation of molpies right there! Time traveling cuegans from a time when the frame is very zoomed out.

Perhaps the entire black landscape they've been traveling is just a lock of a giant Megan's luscious hair

If that's the case, then she has some terrible split ends. and rivers on her head. and ridiculous dandruff--

You know what, I don't like this theory anymore.
“have i gone mad?

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed May 22, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
Spoiler:

That would explain the tiny replica of the sandcastle: Cueball actually made it as a giant-sized sandcastle for tiny Cueball.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

fatness

Postby fatness » Wed May 22, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Selcouth wrote:
It's a pretty big tree. It probably knows what it's doing.

WHAT IF THE TREES ARE SENTIENT

Could be...

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed May 22, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

So has anyone else considered that the molpies are actually the campfire-builders and/or tree-markers? They do seem to be quite clever, and quite shy, creatures.
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Wed May 22, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Opiboble wrote:...On a side note: Well done steaks are not burnt unless you don't know how to cook meat.

While that may be true, it is immaterial to the post, because one of the recognised punishments of the inquisition is that we burn the steak at you.(as opposed to burning you at the stake)...

I think the Inquisition has done a great service to the civility of our forum. It is the perfect kind of Inquistion: actively engaged, supported by the community, and inept ineffective. The recognized punishments of the Inquisition give the suggestion of being pleasant, then fall disappointingly short.

So steaks smell really good when you're cooking them (apologies to our vegans), but when the Inquisitor doesn't stop, the heretic gets a charred, barely edible steak after enduring the promise of something savory.

It's a fitting mock punishment for mock heresy. We joke about the Inquisition for mock offenses (since we have enough sects to guarantee that any dogmatic assertion is heretical to someone). But it sets the tone for how we keep each other in line. When we have real transgressions (that threaten the civility of the forum), then we've already set the right tone. We're used to taking lighthearted threats from each other when we violate our mock forum conventions, so we've been responding well to lighthearted (but serious) suggestions to stay away from actual mockery or flame wars.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

Montov

Postby Montov » Wed May 22, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Eschery Peschery
It's not a poster-tree
Bent horizontally.
Just its bad luck
Losing by tragedy
Half of its canopy
Thermoelectrically
When lightning1 struck.

fixedbaobab.png

1or Dracomax's chainsaw

Brilliant picture! :D

On topic: why is 7 angry at 6?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Opiboble wrote:...On a side note: Well done steaks are not burnt unless you don't know how to cook meat.

While that may be true, it is immaterial to the post, because one of the recognised punishments of the inquisition is that we burn the steak at you.(as opposed to burning you at the stake)...

I think the Inquisition has done a great service to the civility of our forum. It is the perfect kind of Inquistion: actively engaged, supported by the community, and inept ineffective. The recognized punishments of the Inquisition give the suggestion of being pleasant, then fall disappointingly short.

So steaks smell really good when you're cooking them (apologies to our vegans), but when the Inquisitor doesn't stop, the heretic gets a charred, barely edible steak after enduring the promise of something savory.

It's a fitting mock punishment for mock heresy. We joke about the Inquisition for mock offenses (since we have enough sects to guarantee that any dogmatic assertion is heretical to someone). But it sets the tone for how we keep each other in line. When we have real transgressions (that threaten the civility of the forum), then we've already set the right tone. We're used to taking lighthearted threats from each other when we violate our mock forum conventions, so we've been responding well to lighthearted (but serious) suggestions to stay away from actual mockery or flame wars.

I know right! (I hardly have a clue what he just said) But no in all seriousness, for an internet discussion, shoot, for any discussion, especially one that has gone on for so long (thanks to the OTC) it is insanely civil. We have touched on so much and not just started a stupid war, it is quite impressive.

Maybe that was what Randall is aiming for with his OTC, is to have a generally civil, and long thread.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 22, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

Montov wrote:
It's not a poster-tree
Bent horizontally.
Just its bad luck
Losing by tragedy
Half of its canopy
Thermoelectrically
When lightning1 struck.

fixedbaobab.png

1or Dracomax's chainsaw

all I have is something scatological happening after 7 ate 9.

My mind might work in odd ways.
“have i gone mad?

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Wed May 22, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:

This suggest that perhaps Megan and Cueball are children. Older than La Petite, but still you enough to think that grownups have all the answers, so, it something is big (like sea¹ or crooked Baobab⁸), it must know what it's doing.
I think footnotes in your sig is a bad idea... You can never change your sig without destroying all those posts you made with references.

Oh, it certainly is. But if we only do things that make sense in the OTT, it'll quicky become a boring (and empty) place. Image
(The footnote list is also a nice teaser for Blitzers: “I wonder what will be in the future that is pretty big and knows what it's doing.”)

Certainly true. But I refer the honourable gentleman to the comment I made above.

¹¹: Except for that one time I realized I was missing “neat” and wanted to put it in the right position. I actually did edit all previous messages that referred to the renumbered footnotes.¹²

¹²: of course, all footnotes are susceptible to Footnote Injection Attacks!
edit: fix quotes.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:

¹²: of course, all footnotes are susceptible to Footnote Injection Attacks!
edit: fix quotes.

Yes but all quotes are susceptible to edits.

susanoodin

Postby susanoodin » Wed May 22, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Megan doesn't agree with Cueballs comment
SBN wrote: ..., but then maybe we don't know enough yet. (But that's what the start of finding out looks like.)

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed May 22, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Each time I see the bent tree, I see it looking down at the Cuegan with its hands on its hips.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Wed May 22, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

susanoodin wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Megan doesn't agree with Cueballs comment

I was thinking the same thing.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed May 22, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
susanoodin wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Megan doesn't agree with Cueballs comment

I was thinking the same thing.

I've seen the same look from my wife. She's not amused with him.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed May 22, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
xpatiate wrote:
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:Clickty clikety;
HAL (not the red one) com-
manded the spoiler to
hide and restore,

characteristically
monomaniacal,
stopping at last when his
dactyl was sore.
Consecutive double-dactyls! I tips me hat. I've been wondering if it would be possible to construct a double-dactyl (verse) that consists of three consecutive double-dactyls (words) (plus obviously an extra four syllables on the end) - I have plenty of adjective/noun combinations, but adjective/adjective/noun seems like cheating and I have not yet found a hexasyllabic verb...

Well, “hexasyllabicize” would be one. (An autological one, even.)

Higgldypiggldy
jjjdavidson
double-dactylically
started a trend

OTT-followers
indefatigably
hexasyllabicise
Time 'til its end.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Wed May 22, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
mscha wrote:
xpatiate wrote:
Spoiler:
manded the spoiler to
hide and restore,

characteristically
monomaniacal,
dactyl was sore.
Consecutive double-dactyls! I tips me hat. I've been wondering if it would be possible to construct a double-dactyl (verse) that consists of three consecutive double-dactyls (words) (plus obviously an extra four syllables on the end) - I have plenty of adjective/noun combinations, but adjective/adjective/noun seems like cheating and I have not yet found a hexasyllabic verb...

Higgldypiggldy
jjjdavidson
double-dactylically
started a trend

OTT-followers
indefatigably
hexasyllabicise
Time 'til its end.

Only five spaces in the entire thing! Nice job!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 22, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

astrocub wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:Consider this obvious chain of relatedness:

1. The GLR has populated the OTC with trees that appear to be baobabs.

2. Baobab is also the name of a musical group out of Dunham, NC consisting primarily of an artist named Phil Torres, who is also a writer.

3. Phil Torres has also written a book called "A Crisis of Faith - Atheism, Emerging Technologies and the Future of Humanity"

4. A Crisis of Faith is a familiar trope and is a central element in Arthur C. Clarke's short story "The Star".

5. Clarke's "The Star" had a Jesuit priest who was horrified to learn that a nova that eliminated a civilization was the Star of Bethlehem.

6. Bethlehem is also a city in Pennsylvania, named after the birthplace of Jesus shown on by that star, and is also the birthplace of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

7. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson had his first major movie role as "The Scorpion King," first introduced in "The Mummy Returns" and then expanded in the prequel "The Scorpion King".

8. "The Scorpion King" had a soundtrack with the single "I Stand Alone", recorded by the group Godsmack.

9. "I Stand Alone" was recorded at The Hit Factory in Miami, Florida. This studio was formerly known as Criteria Studios.

10. Criteria Studios was where The Allman Brothers recorded the studio parts of their classic album "Eat a Peach".

11. There have been recurring rumors that the name "Eat a Peach" and the album art allude to guitarist Duane Allman's motorcycle death in 1971, but it actually refers to a comment he made when asked by reporter Ellen Mandel of Good Times Magazine, "How are you helping the revolution?" Duane Allman's reply included, "...and every time I'm in Georgia, I eat a peach for peace."

12. Georgia peaches are world-famous and the name is used in many ways. There's even the Georgia Peach Award -- an award for outstanding teen literature.

13. The first Georgia Peach award was awarded in 2005, and was won by "The First Part Last", a book that deals with...

pregnancy!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's obvious what the implications of this are: Angelastic was 100% correct!

StratPlayer wrote:Hmm.... Well, let's see:

1. Unintentional glare can be a problem with flash photography, but one suggestion on how to reduce it is to use pellon over the flash.

2. Pellon is a batting material that can diffuse light. It is also the last name of the artist Gina Pellon

3. Gina Pellon became famous in France, but was originally from Cuba.

4. Cuba is famous for their Cuban cigars.
5. Cigars were customarily given out at the birth of a baby.

So, it's clear once again that it IS all related, and they ARE having a baby!

StratPlayer, I am mentally crowning you as the honorary James Burke of the OTT.

Wow! I am flattered, humbled, and honored. I love James Burke and Connections!

And did you know that:

1. James Burke was born in Londonderry, Northern Ireland?

2. There have been long disputes and discussion about the town's name, including efforts to formally change its name. Although it's legal name is "Londonderry" it is commonly referred to as simply "Derry".

3. "Derry" is also the name of the fictional town used as the setting for many of the works of Stephen King, including "It", the novel about the title-named clown-monster.

4. "It" is something, of course, that we are all waiting for, because the Alt-Text of the OTC tells us to.

5. While we wait, thanks to the talents of buffygirl, we have become a uniquely-hatted collective, much like The Red Hat Society.

6. The Red Hat Society was founded by Sue Ellen Cooper in Fullerton, California.

7. Fullerton, California is the home of the Fender Guitar company, started by Leo Fender.

8. One of the mopst popular Fender guitars is -- of course, the Stratocaster, used for my avatar.

So, what do you know? I guess there is a connection! :D
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 22, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
xpatiate wrote:
manded the spoiler to
hide and restore,

characteristically
monomaniacal,
dactyl was sore.

Higgldypiggldy
jjjdavidson
double-dactylically
started a trend

OTT-followers
indefatigably
hexasyllabicise
Time 'til its end.

Nice!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed May 22, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
astrocub wrote:
Spoiler:

2. Baobab is also the name of a musical group out of Dunham, NC consisting primarily of an artist named Phil Torres, who is also a writer.

3. Phil Torres has also written a book called "A Crisis of Faith - Atheism, Emerging Technologies and the Future of Humanity"

4. A Crisis of Faith is a familiar trope and is a central element in Arthur C. Clarke's short story "The Star".

5. Clarke's "The Star" had a Jesuit priest who was horrified to learn that a nova that eliminated a civilization was the Star of Bethlehem.

6. Bethlehem is also a city in Pennsylvania, named after the birthplace of Jesus shown on by that star, and is also the birthplace of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

7. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson had his first major movie role as "The Scorpion King," first introduced in "The Mummy Returns" and then expanded in the prequel "The Scorpion King".

8. "The Scorpion King" had a soundtrack with the single "I Stand Alone", recorded by the group Godsmack.

9. "I Stand Alone" was recorded at The Hit Factory in Miami, Florida. This studio was formerly known as Criteria Studios.

10. Criteria Studios was where The Allman Brothers recorded the studio parts of their classic album "Eat a Peach".

11. There have been recurring rumors that the name "Eat a Peach" and the album art allude to guitarist Duane Allman's motorcycle death in 1971, but it actually refers to a comment he made when asked by reporter Ellen Mandel of Good Times Magazine, "How are you helping the revolution?" Duane Allman's reply included, "...and every time I'm in Georgia, I eat a peach for peace."

12. Georgia peaches are world-famous and the name is used in many ways. There's even the Georgia Peach Award -- an award for outstanding teen literature.

13. The first Georgia Peach award was awarded in 2005, and was won by "The First Part Last", a book that deals with...

1. Unintentional glare can be a problem with flash photography, but one suggestion on how to reduce it is to use pellon over the flash.

2. Pellon is a batting material that can diffuse light. It is also the last name of the artist Gina Pellon

And did you know that:

2. There have been long disputes and discussion about the town's name, including efforts to formally change its name. Although it's legal name is "Londonderry" it is commonly referred to as simply "Derry".

3. "Derry" is also the name of the fictional town used as the setting for many of the works of Stephen King, including "It", the novel about the title-named clown-monster.

4. "It" is something, of course, that we are all waiting for, because the Alt-Text of the OTC tells us to.

5. While we wait, thanks to the talents of buffygirl, we have become a uniquely-hatted collective, much like The Red Hat Society.

6. The Red Hat Society was founded by Sue Ellen Cooper in Fullerton, California.

7. Fullerton, California is the home of the Fender Guitar company, started by Leo Fender.

8. One of the mopst popular Fender guitars is -- of course, the Stratocaster, used for my avatar.

And this leads to Kevin Bacon somehow? I think I'm ...
Spoiler:
Lost
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
astrocub wrote:
Spoiler:

And did you know that:

Spoiler:
Lost

Well thanks to google:

Google wrote:James Burke's Bacon number is 3

James Burke and Omri Katz appeared in Speed.

Omri Katz and Cathy Moriarty appeared in Matinee.

Cathy Moriarty and Kevin Bacon appeared in Digging to China.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

Montov wrote:On topic: why is 7 angry at 6?

Because 6 made fun of 7's insane conspiracy theory on YouTube. ("On topic?" What's that? Is it like, served with tapioca?)
Time after Time...

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 22, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Opiboble wrote:
Febrion wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
astrocub wrote:[spoiler]

And did you know that:

Spoiler:
Lost

Well thanks to google:

[/spoiler]
Yes, but what's the Erdős-Bacon number?
Last edited by Dracomax on Wed May 22, 2013 7:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“have i gone mad?

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 22, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

I hate to have to ask (again), but can y'all please consider cutting down or spoilering part of the quote, if you reply with a single line to a long post?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 22, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
xpatiate wrote:
manded the spoiler to
hide and restore,

characteristically
monomaniacal,
dactyl was sore.

Higgldypiggldy
jjjdavidson
double-dactylically
started a trend

OTT-followers
indefatigably
hexasyllabicise
Time 'til its end.

Nice!

Indeed!!! Great work!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 22, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I hate to have to ask (again), but can y'all please consider cutting down or spoilering part of the quote, if you reply with a single line to a long post?

Honestly, I try to do so, but I have been known to forget.
“have i gone mad?

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I h
Spoiler:
ate to have to a
sk
Spoiler:
(again), but can y'all please consid
er c
Spoiler:
utting down or spoi
l
Spoiler:
ering part of the quote, if you r
epl
Spoiler:
y with a single line to a long post
?

Ok.

ETA: :twisted: :D
Last edited by Rule110 on Wed May 22, 2013 7:47 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Time after Time...

foilman

Postby foilman » Wed May 22, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

A mutant tree to me suggests genetic damage caused by radiation, so I'm sticking with my post-apocalyptic scenario.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 22, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

foilman wrote:A mutant tree to me suggests genetic damage caused by radiation, so I'm sticking with my post-apocalyptic scenario.

Could it be ... a Teenage Mutant Ninja Baobab (hero⁸ in a half tree)?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 22, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

Montov wrote:
It's not a poster-tree
Bent horizontally.
Just its bad luck
Losing by tragedy
Half of its canopy
Thermoelectrically
When lightning1 struck.

fixedbaobab.png

1or Dracomax's chainsaw

Also slightly late, but I wanted to say I really like this too! Great DD and artistry!

And 7 was angry at 6 because he was supposed to get off at 5 but had to work over because 8 was late....

EDITED to use whole words instead of rush-typing gobbledygook...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Wed May 22, 2013 7:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Wed May 22, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

Ah, but why isn't 6 afraid of octal?

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed May 22, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

ZONG

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed May 22, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:Well thanks to google:
Yes, but what's the Erdős-Bacon number?

I guess we could do Seven Degrees of Blitzgirl or even a Blitzgirl-Number on the quote tree. But folks, be honest, this would just be a ridiculous mess.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”