1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Exodies

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Thu May 23, 2013 9:04 am UTC

azule wrote:Uh....you do know what proof is, mscha, right???

:P

If someone saw it on the Internet, that's gold plated proof.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Thu May 23, 2013 9:10 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:The picture is on WP, too.

EDIT: Wikipedia shows the picture location as
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=-20. ... =44.418333

by the way: Has anybody mentioned the javascript?

On GoogleMaps, the place is known as "Avenue of the Baobabs"...
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 23, 2013 9:10 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:<snip>
All this talk of BlitzGirl has made me wonder... Where is she? it's been over 4 days...
Spoiler:
Hope she is not stuck in the past again

<snap>

She's prolly been weirded out by all the PM cybersex since her elevation to popularist girl on the Internet
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu May 23, 2013 9:16 am UTC

XonqNopp wrote:

Well then. Lets see if Cuegan stumbles upon the giant crop circles next then. No, wait ... zoot! they will not turn up in 2-D.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu May 23, 2013 9:19 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
Kieryn wrote:<snip>
All this talk of BlitzGirl has made me wonder... Where is she? it's been over 4 days...
Spoiler:
Hope she is not stuck in the past again

<snap>

She's prolly been weirded out by all the PM cybersex since her elevation to popularist girl on the Internet

She's stuck in the past again :(
BlitzGirl wrote:Initiating Blitz: 657 out of 691 newpages
The First True Ketchup of BlitzGirl

OMR, I lose my internet access due to Outside forces (moving to a new apartment) and now I'm lost in the Past once more. Don't worry, this should be my only signpost as I plan on a long sprint similar to the one that concluded my Quest. I hope y'all are having fun up there in the Future, and plan to see you in a few newpix!

I'm also going to try this amazingness out, and see how it works when I reach the Now:
Pikrass wrote:And introducing Multiquote v142315¹⁶. <snip>

(Preview-edit: happy to see that some future thread-dwellers still know what a molpy is! :D )

Tometheus

Postby Tometheus » Thu May 23, 2013 9:28 am UTC

XonqNopp wrote:

After seeing the bent tree in the OTC, I was thinking that maybe they were in a computer simulation with a computer glitch, but now that I've seen that photo, it gives me disturbing thoughts about our own reality.
Last edited by Tometheus on Thu May 23, 2013 9:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu May 23, 2013 9:29 am UTC

Gee, had it been talked about that many times? Sorry. Dunno how I missed it - I haven't been skipping posts. I do have an awful memory though.

I did recall a prospective river being named, but then it was mentioned that the delta wasn't the right shape, so I didn't follow the link at the time. I just went back and looked at that map, which of course was the same place I was checking out, and it seems like the delta just below the wrong-shaped one is the right shape, but only in map view - in satellite view it's all wrong again. And looking for Morondava sand dunes didn't get me anywhere. But that's why I was thinking of a screensaver (or a play on a work of fiction) more than an actual location.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Thu May 23, 2013 9:50 am UTC

Alright, time for my first...

Is it odd that I feel things that happened this morning happened too long ago? Like, 10 pages ago or something? That I'm already answering to really old stuff? Hopefully I can get used to this...

"Vytrongularity"
Spoiler:
Swein wrote:We got Vytron in the present! Welcome Vytron! We got new songs and poetry!
Me happy! :D

azule wrote:@Vytron - Welcome to the Present.

Still victory dancing! :mrgreen:

StratPlayer wrote:Yes, welcome Vytron!!!!! I'm very happy you've made it through your Blitz* and are here with us in the present!

*...even though...[ spoiler ]you skipped pages! :wink:[ /spoiler ]

Yes! I'm aware it's like at about 4.5 miles remaining for my marathon, I just took a taxi! Image - but the alternative was being still 45 NewPages behind right now (as I just ketchupped to the present again)...

I can only send all my respect to BlitzGirl, all the BlitzGirl The Nexts and all the True Pilgrims of Time for doing it right! It's a really incredible heroic feat to read everything!

45NP
Spoiler:
higgs-boson wrote:Blitzing 45 NPs isn't funny. This outside world, it's becoming a PITA.

That number will haunt me for a while!

Also, lol, this really sounds like "45NP? Ha! I ketchup to that every day!" :mrgreen:

Postiversaries
Spoiler:
fhorn wrote:
Vytron wrote:Let's celebrate, I got Cheese and Blackberry Ice Cream
My favorite!

Is there any left??!? *searches for crumbs and half-melted ice cream*

No, sorry D: - Many crumbs and melted ice cream left, though!

But wait, did you see how many people had a Postiversary today?? They're uncountable!

No, actually, they're countable!!:

dreiarmumig's 100th! cellocgw'a 100! pelrigg's 300th!, mscha's 900!, azule's 400! StratPlayer's 700! macraw83's 100th! Opiboble's 500th!

OMBG! Have so many people done that in a short while like this?! I have planted several Ice Cream Trees so there's enough for everyone! :)

Numbers
Spoiler:
Montov wrote:On topic: why is 7 angry at 6?

7 and 4 are friends, and 6 is in love with 4. 6 always bugs 4 and never leaves him alone. One day, 7 is fed up and is decided to put an end to the situation.

Or at least, that's how it happened in my synesthetic comics...

Dracomax wrote:all I have is something scatological happening after 7 ate 9.

My mind might work in odd ways.

Good to know I'm not alone!

Though, none of the numbers were cannibal around here.

Rule110 wrote:Because 6 made fun of 7's insane conspiracy theory on YouTube.

What insane conspiracy posted by Seven? Suddenly this sounds more interesting than [heresy]following the OTC![/heresy]

ergman wrote:It's jealous. It would much rather be beautiful and empty than 'wow'

Heh, never considered 6 beautiful at all, eye of the beholder and all that...

astrocub wrote:Wow, look at that 69 action :shock:

What? Neither 6 or 9 are lesbians, that'd never happen. B and 8, on the other hand...

Oh, wait, we're back on the OTC, and there's flying molpyflii (am I doing it right?) having sex (what's the word for sex in the OTC? semenatedcoffecancerbabymakingintercourse or something?)

@macraw83
Spoiler:
macraw83 wrote:If you want to skip my signposts, feel free, I won't be offended. I'm sure they aren't the most interesting posts in the One True Thread

Oh, they are, they are! I once said such posts by people is the meat and potatoes of the thread, and I stick to it! The reason is the thread goes something like this:

Something great is posted.

It's overlooked.

Not mentioned still.

Oh, there it is, appreciation by a blitzer (coma-blitzer, treker or ketchuper)!

It seems people of the present are more interested about what is going on now, and there's some kind of rush feeling to read up to the last page of the thread, while True Pilgrims of Time don't, and they have all the time in the world to read every post carefully and appreciate it (so, after I catch up to the 45 pages that I skipped, I'll read again the pages from 670 onwards again, from the blitzer perspective - I'm sure I missed something I read because of the rush! :mrgreen: - read but not appreciated by me, the "regurgitation" helps with that).

Actually, nevermind, I don't like potatoes... let's say SignPosts are the Meat and French Fries (with ketchup!) of the thread, keep them coming! :)

The BlitzGirl number
Spoiler:
Eternal Density wrote:That's amazing and very interesting indeed!
BlitzGirl: don't mess this up!

Huh, isn't it that all the people with a BG number less than 9 could mess it up? We must be careful about quoting lmjb1964!

And BlitzGirl is back! Okay, not back back, but she has returned to the thread! I'll keep looking for her SignPosts too, and I have a chance to try to sigcourage her!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu May 23, 2013 10:02 am UTC

Slow gONG

The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 10:28 am UTC

The First True Ketchup of BlitzGirl)

BlitzGirl! You're back! Image
We were worried about you... (I thought the roasted bird-which-I-thought-about-calling-a-rabtor-but-am-not-convinced-of-the-rab-part from your final pre-disappearance message, or perhaps the river water, might have felled you.)
Plenty of of good stuff for you to Ketchup. (Edit: which you know, of course, by the time you read this message.)
And good luck in your new apartment! (At least you seem to have your priorities straight: 1) get internet working, 2) catch up in the OTT, 3) get settled in. Image)
Now back to my own scheduled post-comaImage-ing...

Kieryn wrote:The credits table is also now sortable (thanks mscha!. Also you and newpixbot would now be in first place together.)

Thanks, works wonderfully!
(Yikes, virtual first place... Methinks I need to cut back.)

ergman wrote:Alright. I did a Sestina. It wasn't easy, but damn if if was fun. I went for the 11 syllables per line rule as well, though apparently that isn't mandatory. Suffice to say I did a lot of counting on my fingers:
Spoiler:
In Time we heed certain creeds: the sea is big
Revealed by our prophets: the river is small
Cuegan's brief rare dialogues: the tree is neat
Recorded, hid in footnotes: the fire is old
Mystic exposition: empty, beautiful
And of course lord Randall's own words: wait for it

When I first stumbled all alone into It
A panel as per thrice a week, nothing big
Two folk on a beach, so zen and beautiful
Left it alone thinking it something small
Returned later and saw not panel of old
An oh so slow changing image, I thought 'Neat'

Curious about the rules of all things neat
I wiki'd and found a religion 'bout it
In needle pulled form, 400 pages old
I feared to blitz, for time was scarce, pages big
I joined in, threw in my voice, though it is small
I could not bypass something so beautiful

I Learned the terms, the mad tongue so beautiful
I met the folk so kind, funny and neat
Hunted for the molpy, secretive and small
The varied creation pile, I fed some to it
Speculated heresy, theories big
For food I gave sorbet to replace the old

If time ended I could not go back to the old
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful
I can't undrink from the salty sea so big
I forever shall regard the trees as neat
There's double meaning when I say wait for it
The man I was pre-OTT was someone small

Outside now throws my way many matters small
Narnia style, will I one day grow too old?
Ok, that worry's senseless, do it ignore it
Have faith that OTC's forever beautiful
Believe in GLR, science-god so neat
He knows what he's doing like the trees so big

~It needs small words , sestina the beautiful
I'm a whole six stanzas old, and its still neat
Though I'm tired of it's 39 lines; so big~

Well, there you have it. Very melodramatic, as many poems are. Coma time for me now. Have fun

OMR, that's amazing! It not even follows the long list of rules (it seems, didn't check), but it's also surprisingly readable and ontopicy!
I'm not even gonna try. We all know what happened when I started to double dactyl, and I really can't afford to ‘have’ to write every single post as a sestina. Image (Also, I need to start spending more time on Outside stuff... Image)

Re: prehistoric Molpies: hmm, the Molpy Monitor may need to go back some time and see what it can identify. Not for a while though. (Mustardy Outside... Image)
Molpy (singular, with a redirect for Molpies) should certainly be added to the OTW, though. (But again, see previous parenthesised sentence.)

astrocub wrote:Got it all figured out: they're lost in a Van Gogh Dali.
Spoiler:

Lovely!

ggh wrote:Has anyone posted this image yet? The tree on the left looks familiar. It even has the trunkward-facing lower branch.
Spoiler:
Higher res is here:http://fr.academic.ru/pictures/frwiki/65/Adansonia_grandidieri03.jpg
I'm no googling expert, but this picture is in so many places I'd be tempted to call it a stock image. Could Cuegan be living in a screensaver?

or...

What if mscha was right, and this is Madagascar? I mean, Madagascar the movie? Except the accidental tourists are Cuegan.

Okay, sorry, might be talking nonsense... time for me and the little molpy to go to bed.

Good find! I had been googling for a tree to match our ⁸ one, didn't find one. (I guess I'm a worse Googler than I though...)

And finally, not this again...
higgs-boson wrote:Hopefully, this post - posted despite knowing better - would not restart the discussion. And if - then hopefully without the subliminal anger.

Please stop. You don't like 'em, skip 'em. I (and many others, it seems) do very much enjoy these. (Message to the Future Past: Keep 'em coming, macraw83! They're fine as they are!) The timey-wimey stuff is an important part of my OTT experience.
[Edit: remove stuff that will only prolong the discussion]
Last edited by mscha on Thu May 23, 2013 11:38 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu May 23, 2013 10:45 am UTC

This tree I would like to see! Though I would not dare to dwell near it. Too many tourists it has devoured, and now it is ready for rupture! :shock:

Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 10:48 am UTC

Molpy Monitor update...

First, a completed animation of the Molpyfly mating dance of the previous scene:

And on this scene, there's a Molpy (or Molpyraptor? Squirpy?) in the tree!
Also, is there some kind of plateau in the top of this tree?
And has someone identified the species of tree yet? This one is definitely not as recognizable as a Baobab. (I'd identify it as “generic tree”...)
Last edited by mscha on Thu May 23, 2013 11:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 23, 2013 10:58 am UTC

Valarya wrote:I was internetting earlier and saw a video on the facebook titled.. well. You know8. And it had to do with chocolate. So I can't just not share it. Even if the sound is annoying

Should that link have a strobe warning?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu May 23, 2013 11:00 am UTC

No treeONGs.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 11:01 am UTC

XonqNopp wrote:
Spoiler:

One counter argument for Cuegan being at the Avenue of the Baobabs: no buses full of tourists. (Or maybe they're there, just out of the 2-and-a-bit-D slice we're looking at...)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu May 23, 2013 11:16 am UTC

mscha wrote:
buffygirl wrote:AND - I assert my assertion on NP 688 regarding whether or not they are baobab trees is worth noting! (feeling a little overlooked).

There's absolutely no doubt that these are Baobab trees, specifically Grandidier's baobab, native only to Madagascar. No other tree (including other types of Baobab) look like this.

In the outside world, you mean. We still have no definitive evidence that we're viewing a location in our own universe, let alone our local Earth.

Heck, we're even worried (in the OTT) every now and then whether the Doom will befall Valarya :mrgreen:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Thu May 23, 2013 11:18 am UTC

So has anyone read Journey to the Center of the Earth? Remember, in the center-of-Earth cavern, the giant tree-sized mushrooms? I wonder if these could be those....

and if so, maybe Cueball and Megan are in the center of the Earth?
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu May 23, 2013 11:28 am UTC

Pretty much completely OT (and thus OTOTTT), but sad because it's Thursday in the 3D world, which means neither a new OtherComic nor a WhatIf. :( .

Oh, well, here's a new poem style.

This
Poem
No
Meter
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 23, 2013 11:30 am UTC

*stumbles into Present again*

I really could have used those Shoes I had for my last sprint...or at the very least a dilgunnerang to drink from!

Hi again, everybody! :) I'll make that long blitzpost after I've caught my breath...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu May 23, 2013 11:32 am UTC

mscha wrote:Molpy Monitor update...
Spoiler:
First, a completed animation of the Molpyfly mating dance of the previous scene:

And on this scene, there's a Molpy (or Molpyraptor? Squipy?) in the tree!
Also, is there some kind of plateau in the top of this tree?

Yay! Molpyraptors FTW!

And has someone identified the species of tree yet? This one is definitely not as recognizable as a Baobab. (I'd identify it as “generic tree”...)

My thought was that it was a young Baobab1
Spoiler:
1) That doesn't neccessarily know what it is doing.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Thu May 23, 2013 11:34 am UTC

Ok, Time for new guess... The picture from Andranomena Reserve suggests that they are there, which is on the island of Madagascar. After looking at the map for a while, we can suppose that they started their trip from the manambolo river (which may be dry at the end in the OTC) and they came to the Tsiribihina river, which according to wikipedia french (english article is very poor) means "where we do not dive" because it is full of crocodiles... Which would explain why they did not try to catch the sock back although they know to swim... It also says that this river is *very* wide (1km at some points) and its delta is 50km wide...

Since we never could determine how much Time was between each frame (and if this value was constant), it is possible that they came to the bridge over the latter river and we did not see it in the OTC... And then they continued their trip along the coast, going a little downhill without we caught up with them again... Who knows what happens between each newpix... And now between the baobabs...

If my supposition is right, they should soon approach the Morondava river (assuming they continue along the coast)... Wait for it. :mrgreen:

But... the problem is the earth profile... This part of Madagascar seems fairly flat...

All this is assuming that Lord Randall is drawing from a scene of the realm... Which is not granted!

Note: I did note check the length... If someone wants to do it, feel free :D

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu May 23, 2013 11:35 am UTC

I read the Journey to the center of the earth, but that was in primary school. Probably 16-18 years ago. People tell me I have a bad memory (but I'm not sure. I can't remember anything that I have forgotten) so I don't have much details.
I feel the whole thing wouldn't have fitted in the cavern though, large as it was, but I am probably wrong.

Welcome back BlitzGirl. I do hope the disconnection wasn't too traumatizing?
And I do hope my upcoming hectonewpix disconnection won't traumatize me.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 11:36 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Hi again, everybody! :)

Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 11:46 am UTC

Swein wrote:

My thought was that it was a young Baobab1
Spoiler:
1) That doesn't neccessarily know what it is doing.

Could be.
A young Grandidier's Baobab seems unlikely to me, the shape is too different, but a young African Baobab seems possible.
Spoiler:
But I know nothing about trees, so ignore me...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu May 23, 2013 11:51 am UTC

Vytron wrote:Yes! I'm aware it's like at about 4.5 miles remaining for my marathon, I just took a taxi! Image - but the alternative was being still 45 NewPages behind right now (as I just ketchupped to the present again)...

<snip>

Actually, nevermind, I don't like potatoes... let's say SignPosts are the Meat and French Fries (with ketchup!) of the thread, keep them coming! :)

So glad you're here, and I don't think there's anything wrong with skipping ahead, or alternating between the present and past, or whichever way you choose to wait for it... but, how can you not like potatoes?

ETA: The French girl! Was that our first Madagascar clue?
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Vytron wrote:Yes! I'm aware it's like at about 4.5 miles remaining for my marathon, I just took a taxi! Image - but the alternative was being still 45 NewPages behind right now (as I just ketchupped to the present again)...

<snip>

So glad you're here, and I don't think there's anything wrong with skipping ahead, or alternating between the present and past, or whichever way you choose to wait for it... but, how can you not like potatoes?

He does like potatoes, just in the form of French Fries (which are not as good as Flemish fries IMHO. Preferably with mayo that's a bit sour, no salt and a bit of white pepper. That just tastes awesome. We need more places that sell that, even the ones who make decent Flemish fries don't know there should be white pepper on it instead of salt. Hmm, I am getting hungry now.1

1)
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Thu May 23, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

WalkiONG ONGain...

ggh

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby ggh » Thu May 23, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:He does like potatoes, just in the form of French Fries (which are not as good as Flemish fries IMHO. Preferably with mayo that's a bit sour, no salt and a bit of white pepper. That just tastes awesome. We need more places that sell that, even the ones who make decent Flemish fries don't know there should be white pepper on it instead of salt. Hmm, I am getting hungry now.1

1)

OMR, that sounds so good! Somehow, I am going to try that.

TheMulattoMaker wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:George blather triceratops c'mon Volkswagen Microbus qwerty rain. Umbrella try incognito verisimilitude Garibaldi tangerine Guns 'n Roses be not watermelon. woll-did not downtrodden E Pluribus Unum vortex.

...any changes?

EDIT for result: Dammit. I was hoping The Madness would make it make sense.

Madagascar - Guns N' Roses

I won't be told anymore
That I've been brought down in this storm
And left so far out from the shore
That I can't find my way back, my way anymore

Maybe if we wait for it, the rest of this post will make sense too
Agatha the Awesomeful

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu May 23, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:He does like potatoes, just in the form of French Fries (which are not as good as Flemish fries IMHO. Preferably with mayo that's a bit sour, no salt and a bit of white pepper. That just tastes awesome. We need more places that sell that, even the ones who make decent Flemish fries don't know there should be white pepper on it instead of salt. Hmm, I am getting hungry now.1

1)

OMR, that sounds so good! Somehow, I am going to try that.

Don't overdo the pepper. I like my food spicy, but this should only be a pinch. I have tried bell pepper powder, as it is even less spicy and tastes more of pepper, but that doesn't seem to fit as perfectly as white pepper, which has the correct balance between spicy and pepper-tasting for this IMHO.

Of course you can change the "recepie"1 to taste.

1It's a bit small to constitute as a real recepie.23
2Huh? A real footnote? What the ...?
3Cool, that works. A sub in a sup! Somehow it feels a bit dirty though.

he/him/his

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu May 23, 2013 12:36 pm UTC

ergman wrote:Alright. I did a Sestina. It wasn't easy, but damn if if was fun. I went for the 11 syllables per line rule as well, though apparently that isn't mandatory. Suffice to say I did a lot of counting on my fingers:

In Time we heed certain creeds: the sea is big
Revealed by our prophets: the river is small
Cuegan's brief rare dialogues: the tree is neat
Recorded, hid in footnotes: the fire is old
Mystic exposition: empty, beautiful
And of course lord Randall's own words: wait for it
Spoiler:
When I first stumbled all alone into It
A panel as per thrice a week, nothing big
Two folk on a beach, so zen and beautiful
Left it alone thinking it something small
Returned later and saw not panel of old
An oh so slow changing image, I thought 'Neat'

Curious about the rules of all things neat
I wiki'd and found a religion 'bout it
In needle pulled form, 400 pages old
I feared to blitz, for time was scarce, pages big
I joined in, threw in my voice, though it is small
I could not bypass something so beautiful

I Learned the terms, the mad tongue so beautiful
I met the folk so kind, funny and neat
Hunted for the molpy, secretive and small
The varied creation pile, I fed some to it
Speculated heresy, theories big
For food I gave sorbet to replace the old

If time ended I could not go back to the old
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful
I can't undrink from the salty sea so big
I forever shall regard the trees as neat
There's double meaning when I say wait for it
The man I was pre-OTT was someone small

Outside now throws my way many matters small
Narnia style, will I one day grow too old?
Ok, that worry's senseless, do it ignore it
Have faith that OTC's forever beautiful
Believe in GLR, science-god so neat
He knows what he's doing like the trees so big

~It needs small words , sestina the beautiful
I'm a whole six stanzas old, and its still neat
Though I'm tired of it's 39 lines; so big~

Well, there you have it. Very melodramatic, as many poems are. Coma time for me now. Have fun

I am hugely impressed─this is full of wonderful images, well-chosen words, and real poetry. It's humbling that I can throw out a less-than-half-serious suggestion─for something that in perfect seriousness I have no ambition at all to try myself─and get back such a gorgeous response.

It's a little scary, too. What if I suggested that we do an adaptation of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, with one story for each character...

We'd have to start with the Prologue, of course, and there's what, 25 or 30 characters in it? So far we only have Cueball and Megan and la Petite; maybe we should throw in the molpies and the birds and the molpyflies. And we don't know if it's Aprille or not; should we fudge that or just make up our own season? Oh, dear...
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 23, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

Quick summary of events: Megan was tripped by a ribbit, Image beesnakes mated with molpyflies, a great stasis occurred lasting three newpix (more Chaos in my absence, it seems), along with a tiny molpyhole. I was scoffed at for my acacia theory many newpages back, and yet the OTC quickly filled with baobabs, including a BentBaobab7. I grew tire-d of puns on newpage 674, got sucked into Smither's Google breakout for a Time, sang along to Rule110's "The Sandcastles High (Part 1)" and agreed that Existential Bread needs to happen.

7probably knows what it's doing 8
8yes, I chose the digit 7 for BentBaobab because, y'know, bent

And now for quotetastic responses:
Creativity galore! (mscha, ucim, AluisioASG):
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:Ongkety gongkety
posted by newpixbot
'cause it is quiet and
    nobody posts.
Must be the weekend, when
even our BlitzGirl is
extendedcomaing
    here only ghosts.

I was actually stuck in I-5 northbound traffic around Seattle when this was written, so comaing would probably have been a bad idea...
I can't believe I missed all of the molpity double-dactyl-ing! :(

ucim wrote:
Chapter 6

The Quest was not going well. <snip>

So engrossing! The second scribe is my new favorite character! Image

AluisioASG wrote:I present, for evaluation of the Time Waiters here present, The Last Time Waiter, Chapter 1: The Clock Ticks - take 2:

I have evaluated this chapter and it is scrumptious! Unlike the Sea!

Cut out the puns WITH A CHAINSAW (pelrigg, astrocub, Angelastic):
Spoiler:
pelrigg wrote:<snip> a "round of applause"
* rimshot *
* cymbal crash *
(BiltzGirl: PUT THAT CHAINSAW DOWN)

This is my chainsaw. It is mine and it is my chainsaw. BRRRRUUMBRUMBRUMBRUMBRUM!

astrocub wrote:
pelrigg wrote:@ astrocub: Wait till BiltzGirl sees that one. She'll be sharpening her knives for sure.....

*bigger eyebrow waggle*

Baobabs Streisand! BAOBABS STREISAND!! ...I'll trim YOUR eyebrows. Image

Angelastic wrote::shock: WE WERE RIGHT!
They are having a baobaby!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... Image

BlitzGirl Number (Kieryn, Sciscitor, Opiboble, Rule110, ucim):
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:I guess we could do Seven Degrees of Blitzgirl or even a Blitzgirl-Number on the quote tree. But folks, be honest, this would just be a ridiculous mess.

Hence it must be done. Tonight folks.

I'm not sure if I should be pleased or disturbed that I have become the Kevin Bacon of the OTT.

Rule110 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:But that is the point of having it as how far are you from being directly quoted by Blitzgirl. BlitzG quotes BuffyG who then quotes Helper, so Helper has a BG number of 2. And honestly I would be trying to not get quoted by BG because having a higher BG number would be hold more prestige.

Huh? Shirley you can't be serious. A lower BG number would hold more prestige. Highest prestige of all would be to be Blitzgirl, with the unique Blitzgirl Number of zero.

I'm number zero! I'm number zero! Image

ucim wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Honestly my initial idea was indeed this concept of how far are you from being directly quoted by Blitzgirl.
I'd humbly suggest this be generalized to "how far you are from being directly quoted by {fill in}". Despite our worship of BlitzGirl, we shouldn't stalk. Squee could turn into squick quickly otherwise. :)

Jose

I've been stalking all y'all for newpages and newpages... perhaps you should be squicked by me? ("Squickety squeakity squee" sounds like molpy-speak.)

Kieryn wrote:<snip> Quick note on the BG number: If you are never quoted by BG either directly or in a chain, you simply do not have a BG number. If you are directly quoted, your BG is 1. A high BG number means you get quoted down a long chain, which ultimately gets quoted by BG. A high BG number is therefore the rarer case and could be thought of as more prestigious. (Edit: Well done lmjb1964!)

So, I could seriously mustard some people up by quoting them directly?

My whereabouts (ucim, Eternal Density, mscha):
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:
Kieryn wrote:All this talk of BlitzGirl has made me wonder... Where is she? it's been over 4 days...

Yes, I wonder about BlitzGirl too. If she were stuck in time, I'd expect a signpost. Hope she's ok (and I hope she still likes us!) :)

I guess we'll just have to follow the One True Commandment.

Wait and ye shall receive... :D And yes, I still like all y'all!

Eternal Density wrote:Squee! I have borne witness to TFTKoBG!!!!!

Squee! I have borne witness to Eternal Density witnessing TFTKoBG!!!!!

mscha wrote:
The First True Ketchup of BlitzGirl)

BlitzGirl! You're back! Image
We were worried about you... (I thought the roasted bird-which-I-thought-about-calling-a-rabtor-but-am-not-convinced-of-the-rab-part from your final pre-disappearance message, or perhaps the river water, might have felled you.)
Plenty of of good stuff for you to Ketchup. (Edit: which you know, of course, by the time you read this message.)
And good luck in your new apartment! (At least you seem to have your priorities straight: 1) get internet working, 2) catch up in the OTT, 3) get settled in. Image) <snip>

Thanks! The order of priorities sounds about right...my new apartment is still a work-in-progress and yet here I am on the OTT... :wink:

Unspoilered miscellaneous section!

ergman wrote:
mscha wrote:No new Molpy (or Molpyflower) activity...

I imagine that the molpies use flower-like tendrils to lure in prey, like angler fish

I would totally draw this if I weren't so coma-deprived! For now:
Spoiler:

Vytron wrote:BlitzGirl, RobIrr, tman2nd and other blitzers: You can do it!
The future is way cooler than I imagined ¦-)

Mustard! I missed Vytron's arrival! And now I'm receiving sigcouragement? The temporal eddies are so perplexing to a comaless mind!

rvloon wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:<snip> And yes, this is a double post. So there. I am like the Sea5.

5BIG

FTFY. But that may have been done before, I am about 40 pages behind.

Ahem.
The River is small!
The Sea is big!
The BlitzGirl is pretty much average-sized!
This concludes the Ketchup. Image
Spoiler:
OneTrueKetchup.png
OneTrueKetchup.png (41.59 KiB) Viewed 12734 times
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Thu May 23, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:<snip>
But wait, did you see how many people had a Postiversary today?? They're uncountable!

No, actually, they're countable!!:

dreiarmumig's 100th! cellocgw'a 100! pelrigg's 300th!, mscha's 900!, azule's 400! StratPlayer's 700! macraw83's 100th! Opiboble's 500th!

OMBG! Have so many people done that in a short while like this?! I have planted several Ice Cream Trees so there's enough for everyone! :)

<snip>

Yay, ice cream tree! Neat!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 23, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
ggh wrote:

<snip>

He does like potatoes, just in the form of French Fries (which are not as good as Flemish fries IMHO. Preferably with mayo that's a bit sour, no salt and a bit of white pepper. That just tastes awesome. We need more places that sell that, even the ones who make decent Flemish fries don't know there should be white pepper on it instead of salt. Hmm, I am getting hungry now.1

1)

I've recently become enamored of french fries and potato chips(Chips and crisps, I guess, for those of our brethren reporting from [heresy]outsider nation of Britain[/heresy]) that have vinegar, and a light amount of sea salt. Possibly dipped in vinegar impregnated ketchup.

I need to try white pepper. It sounds great.

And nobody ice creamed me... :( Oh well. only a hundred or so posts to my next significant digit(going by base 2)
Last edited by Dracomax on Thu May 23, 2013 1:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu May 23, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

Jong!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 23, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

It occurs to me that if this is Madagascar, we should see some molpy-lemurs before the OTC ends.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 23, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

Tometheus wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Okay and by popular demand here it is: The BlitzGirl number: http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits

[Snip]

Also the BG numbers are linked to the posts detected at the top of the chain... following the chain down to find the BG post can be a fun challenge due to the branching quote chains, especially for the higher BG numbers.

Pity, since I know I have a BG number of 1, but the credits list says 2.

[Edit]Woot. ComaPope on my first post back from a deciblitz (I was about 50 pages behind this needle pulled thing for the last three weeks). Oh, wait, we, the believers in the Newpixies, don't have a Pope. Go about your business.

Thanks. This points out one of those quotes not matched by the fuzzy logic algorithm. I'll investigate why and see if I can reel it in.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 23, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:<snip> What if I suggested that we do an adaptation of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, with one story for each character...

We'd have to start with the Prologue, of course, and there's what, 25 or 30 characters in it? So far we only have Cueball and Megan and la Petite; maybe we should throw in the molpies and the birds and the molpyflies. And we don't know if it's Aprille or not; should we fudge that or just make up our own season? Oh, dear...

I would suggest that a Canterbury Tales adaptation would be better suited to the OTT than the OTC, particularly with all of the titles we thread-dwellers have, e.g. the Knight Temporal, the Milliner, the Blitzer, the Cardinal...
Okay, I seriously need to stop and coma before I get too sucked into this and actually start writing in Old English (Madnessish? Madnessese? Old Madness?).
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu May 23, 2013 1:12 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:...
Of course you can change the "recepie"1 to taste.

1It's a bit small to constitute as a real recepie.23
2Huh? A real footnote? What the ...?
3Cool, that works. A sub in a sup! Somehow it feels a bit dirty though.

"Hey, let us play FootNoteMemory!"
"Wow, I like that!?"H2SO4
"You certainly would! The rules are very easy to understand!"C55H70O6N4Mg
"He, sweeeeeet!C6H12O6 ... ehr, what Do you mean, very easy?"
"First of all you create a lot of foot notes. Then you mix them. ..."C6760H10447N1743O2010S32
"... and the reader forgets the foot note number before he had scrolled down!
"Eeeeexactly!"
"Hey, I already did that. It's called 'Ph.D Thesis'."
"d'oh.C16H13ClN2OSo raise the difficulty and rephrase!"
"Did I mention that there's indeed a kind of 'memory' game based on associations?"
"No. And now shut up."H2O

sulphuric acidIf I only had an interrobang at hand...
beautiful woman, dead if overdosedBonus question - where did that quote come from?
beautiful woman of the 21st century, dead if overdosedMeaning that the foot notes aren't sorted.
chlorophyll fNothing is ever easy.C17H23NO3
GlucoseThis is a self-referenced footnote.
aqua dest.Please.
sleepy thingieComa time!
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 23, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:It occurs to me that if this is Madagascar, we should see some molpy-lemurs before the OTC ends.

I believe we have already seen spoonbills.
Spoiler:
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

XonqNopp

Re: 1190: "Time, River, Sea, Tree"

Postby XonqNopp » Thu May 23, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:It occurs to me that if this is Madagascar, we should see some molpy-lemurs before the OTC ends.

So, are you thinking about this:
Julian the King wrote:I like to move it move it, I like to move it move it, you like to...

- Wait for it!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”