1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kieryn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 23, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
mathrec wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Group poem! Given the current plot line of the OTC, maybe we should call this "Jabber-walky"?

'Twas midday, and the molpymurs
    Did dig and tunnel in the ground
    All flighty were the raptorbirds,
    And the beesnakes did abound.
Next verse?

OK, I'll give it a go:

The baobab trees, tall and bent;
Towering wooden, leaf-topped spires
(with odd markings!) -- they'd came and went,
in a buzz of bug-bee flyers

Who's next?

StratPlayer, I like the poetry, but it doesn't seem to reflect the original. Of course, I'm not sure how I'd adapt the quest in the OTC to the quest in Jaberwocky...

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize that we were going for a poetry-parody. If it would balance it out better, my verse can certainly be removed in order to better achieve poetry-parody-parity.

As long as it includes a snickers snack, and a vorpal trebuchet, we are good.

And hats... we must not forget the hats... EDIT: Oh wait, this is OTC specific right? Ooops I got a bad case of myxomaonetrues.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 23, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
mathrec wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Group poem! Given the current plot line of the OTC, maybe we should call this "Jabber-walky"?

Next verse?

OK, I'll give it a go:

Who's next?

StratPlayer, I like the poetry, but it doesn't seem to reflect the original. Of course, I'm not sure how I'd adapt the quest in the OTC to the quest in Jaberwocky...

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize that we were going for a poetry-parody. If it would balance it out better, my verse can certainly be removed in order to better achieve poetry-parody-parity.

Alright, so how's this for a redo of the second verse? Much more faithful to the original -- I even kept the second line untouched, although I had to change the first "Beware" to "Fear" to keep the syllables at eight, since I used "Megan" instead of "son":

Fear the molpyraptror, Megan!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the the ninjashark! And shun
the beesnakes that seek your snatch!

EDIT'ed the last line to get it to 7-syllables, as is the original...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Thu May 23, 2013 5:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 23, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote: EDIT: Oh wait, this is OTC specific right? Ooops I got a bad case of myxomaonetrues.

You have a bad case of what? Google has failed me for the last time!

*Attempts to force choke google*

Damn. It's impossible to kill a globally supported search engine using non-existent telekinetic choke manuevers.

Edit:
stratplayer wrote:the beesnakes that seek your snatch!

seems a bit risqu riske adult themed.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 23, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
mathrec wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Next verse?

OK, I'll give it a go:

Who's next?

"Beware the rising sea, Cueball!
The tides that rise--we don't know why!
Beware the molpy-birds and shun
The frumious hills that lie1"

1Because they were taller than they looked.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 23, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Kieryn wrote: EDIT: Oh wait, this is OTC specific right? Ooops I got a bad case of myxomaonetrues.

Damn. It's impossible to kill a globally supported search engine using non-existent telekinetic choke manuevers.

Edit:
stratplayer wrote:the beesnakes that seek your snatch!

What? Me??? :twisted: Absolutely not! :wink:

I meant it in this context:

2. A brief period of time: "At the end we preferred to travel all night,/Sleeping in snatches" (T.S. Eliot).

Of course, I have no control over what your dirty mind might read into it... :wink:
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Thu May 23, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 23, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

Oh goodness, what have I done? I somehow didn't see the other already proposed next verse in the review when I submitted and now I've split the poetry continuum in half with a competing alternative 2nd verse (which was already a replacement 2nd verse). As the poem's initiator, I leave it to Ebonite to decide which verse is considered canon.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu May 23, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
azule wrote:Kieryn, that's kinda creepy. :(

Which? The Google street view guy, or my earlier post indicating that I know what cities y'all are hitting my site from? :mrgreen:
street view guy. Anything that's not a stick figure just creeps me out. :shock:

My city? Good luck finding it. :P

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Thu May 23, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
mathrec wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Next verse?

OK, I'll give it a go:

Who's next?

"Beware the rising sea, Cueball!
The tides that rise--we don't know why!
Beware the molpy-birds and shun
The frumious hills that lie1"

1Because they were taller than they looked.

May I suggest replacing "Cueball" with "my xon" to keep it gender neutral in reference to Megballcuegan?

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu May 23, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
stratplayer wrote:Fear the molpyraptror, Megan!
Beware the the ninjashark! And shun
the beesnakes that seek your snatch!

What? Me??? Absolutely not! :wink:

I meant it in this context:
2. A brief period of time: "At the end we preferred to travel all night,/Sleeping in snatches" (T.S. Eliot).

I think it also helps to note that your verse mimics a famous Lewis Carroll poem titled "Jabberwocky" (which I happen to love and have a video of my daughter jump-roping in the front yard as she recites the entire poem from memory). And in that poem there's a creature called the Bandersnatch. Snippet:
Lewis Carroll wrote:"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 23, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Oh goodness, what have I done? I somehow didn't see the other already proposed next verse in the review when I submitted and now I've split the poetry continuum in half with a competing alternative 2nd verse (which was already a replacement 2nd verse). As the poem's initiator, I leave it to Ebonite to decide which verse is considered canon.

Or, in keeping with the spirit of the OTT, we could come up with an algorithm to hash the two of them together, ROT-13 the result, and then call it good...

:D

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Thu May 23, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
mathrec wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Next verse?

OK, I'll give it a go:

Who's next?

Or, The dilgunnerang went squickety-squee

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu May 23, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Ooops I got a bad case of myxomaonetrues.

myxomatosis:
    A disease of rabbits.

onetrues:
    A compound word consisting of one + true, referring to those things that are one and true. e.g. One True Thread, One True Comic

myxomaonetrues:
    A portmanteau of myxomatosis + onetrues. A disease of rabbits where a symptom is to worship onetrues.

Conclusion: Kieryn is a rabbit!

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

FayZee wrote:
astrocub wrote:
SBN wrote:
mscha wrote:Look what I found in Google Earth... If this isn't proof... ;)

I don't know how to look at what you found.

You can download Google Earth, which will also be a new great way to waste Time between newpix :wink:

Did someone just delete a post? :o :shock:
The one following astrocub's, telling us that if we didn't have Google Earth downloaded, then we were out of luck?
I don't have Google Earth :oops:

Yup, I said pretty much the same thing as astrocub, so I deleted my message, while I still could. (You can while it's the last post in the thread.)
You can get Google Earth for pretty much all platforms here.

Kieryn wrote:You know, I can't believe we didn't notice before:
Spoiler:

Enhance:
Spoiler:

These guys⁹ really come everywhere these days...

⁹: and gals
Last edited by mscha on Thu May 23, 2013 6:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 23, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:Ongkety gongkety
posted by newpixbot
'cause it is quiet and
    nobody posts.
Must be the weekend, when
even our BlitzGirl is
extendedcomaing
    here only ghosts.

I was actually stuck in I-5 northbound traffic around Seattle when this was written, so comaing would probably have been a bad idea...

Ongkety gongkety
posted by newpixbot
'cause it is quiet and
    nobody posts.
Must be the weekend, when
even our BlitzGirl in
I5-North-traffic-jam
    here only ghosts.

FTFM.

BlitzGirl wrote:I can't believe I missed all of the molpity double-dactyl-ing! :(

It's not too late! Your contributions are eagerly awaited.

Bravo! Though I think maybe y'all are BlitzGirled out, by Hal's response. I had a Present Present lined up, but hm... might save it for a Future Present.

StratPlayer wrote:Awesome work!

Although, actually, I'm not surprised at all to see that I have a low BlitzGirl number of 1. I mean, she and I have a pretty close relationship:
Spoiler:
1. Besides her presence in the OTT, BlitzGirl also has a blog called "Crash Landing".

2. "Crash Landing" is also the name of a forgotten B movie from 1958 written by Fred Freiberger.

3. Fred Freiberger also co-wrote the screenplay for the 1953 schlock monster movie "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms". In that film, the monster, named a "rhedosaurus", is finally killed at Coney Island when a radioactive isotope is shot into its neck.

4. Inserting radioactive isotopes into the neck has also been done to treat neck and head cancer, and was discussed in a 1966 JAMA paper by Dr. Irving M. Ariel, MD.

5. "Ariel" is also the name of the Sprite who serves Prospero in William Shakespeare's play, "The Tempest".

6. "The Tempest" is also the basis of the story in the 1956 movie, "Forbidden Planet".

7. "Forbidden Planet" features Leslie Nielsen in the role of Commander J.J. Adams.

8. Leslie Nielsen, best known for his roles in "Airplane!" and "The Naked Gun" series, was born February 11, 1926 in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.

9. Regina is the home of the Canadian Football League team, the Saskatchewan Roughriders, who, after eight earlier losing attempts dating back to 1923, won their first Grey Cup championship in 1966.

10. 1966 was also the year that the band Cream released their first album, "Fresh Cream".

11. Cream was a trio consisting of drummer Ginger Baker, bassist Jack Bruce, and guitarist Eric Clapton.

12. Although Eric Clapton mainly played Gibson guitars while in Cream, he is primarily known for playing the Fender Stratocaster, which he switched to in 1969.

13. The Stratocaster is the guitar used in both my avatar and username.

See? BlitzGirl and I are practically brother and sister...

That explains a lot!

azule wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:...beesnakes mated with molpyflies...

Argh! Would the mountain lion have babies with the cougar? You see where I'm going with this. *folds arms*

Yes, if it were a hot, hot cougar. They might even get the puma in on a threesome...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Thu May 23, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
mscha wrote:Whatever it is, it's standing perfectly still and not important enough for Cuegan to comment ONG...

Like I said, a projectile. Albiet a very1 slowly moving one.

Spoiler:
very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very
very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very

Hey, if something moves by less than a Planck length, it cannot be detected or measured in any way.

Suppose an object moves by 1/3 of a Planck length on each of 10 separate occasions, all in the same direction. Each occasion is a few seconds apart or more.

Has the object moved, or is it still in its original position on the basis that none of the individual movements had any effect?

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 23, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
azule wrote:

Argh! Would the mountain lion have babies with the cougar? You see where I'm going with this. *folds arms*

Yes, if it were a hot, hot cougar. They might even get the puma in on a threesome...

well, they are all part of the family felidae, so would that make this Cat on cat on cat matchup even less politically acceptable?
Last edited by Dracomax on Thu May 23, 2013 6:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“have i gone mad?

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Bravo! Though I think maybe y'all are BlitzGirled out, by Hal's response. I had a Present Present lined up, but hm... might save it for a Future Present.

NOOOOOOOOOOO
We want present presents! Presently! Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu May 23, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

mini-ketchup.jpg
mini-ketchup.jpg (3.19 KiB) Viewed 11268 times
Mini-ketchup time:

First of all, jjjdavidson, glad to know you're ok.

fhorn wrote:
Spoiler:
Swein wrote:BrokONG tree
[Edit]: This tree looks like it has undergone some kind of transformation in the third dimension.

I've gotten so used to everyone's skills here, when I first saw this newpix I thought it was another scam clever artistic interpretation!!! :shock: goes back to original comic, checks again, rubs eyes, checks again
Double post due to SHOCK at the latest revelation from GLR and DOUBLE SHOCK that the TREE IS BENT/ALL CONTORTED/ODD-LOOKING and there's been no real speculation about it! Where are the Loopists??? Where are the End-of-Timers??? What's happened to us????!!!?
ETA: *running in circles all panick-y*

fhorn, your edit had me sitting at my desk trying hard not to laugh out loud. You people crack me up!

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:Aren't plays usually in the form of Character:action, speech? Every play I've ever read has been, anyway.
Depends on the author. Typically, very little action is actually indicated by the author, as it is implied by the speech. Some authors put no stage directions whatsoever into their plays, but others load tons of stage and emotional directions onto the page. IMHO, that is overkill.

The effective use of stage directions depends on the limitations of the particular stage the play is being mounted on, and stage direction is often modified by the director to fit. (Words of dialog are never ever (supposed to be) altered however.)

Some publishers (I was going to name names, but when I checked I found a bit more variation than I had remembered) will insert stage directions that copied directly from the stage manager's notes from the first professional performance; this is usually next to useless, since it is too specifically tied to the size and arrangement of that particular venue.

As an author, I tend to put very little stage direction in my works, since I trust the actor and director to bring out the character in whatever manner is appropriate for the setting. As an actor, I find excessive stage direction to be distracting, as it will often merely echo what I'm going to do anyway, or what I cannot do ("crosses to sofa stage left" is hard to do when the sofa is actually center stage to make room for the hallway door which would otherwise not even fit) That said, I put a little bit more stage direction in my OTT works, since they are meant to be read, not performed.

In most cases, stage directions come before the dialog, but there are exceptions there too, for action that takes place afterwards, or by a character that has no dialog at the time.

I'm glad to see your writing skills aren't confined to the OTT (though, of course, that is the most important place for them.) I had to laugh when I read your post. I'm in a production of Into the Woods (which is relevant, since M&C just went into, and out of, the woods.) You're so right about the stage direction--the book has directions like "nervously," "giggles," "calm and cold," and it's just so silly. Like you wouldn't know that was the intention from the line itself. But of course it might be different if the play was meant to be read only. Though I think we should stage or film these stories that are being written.

I also found out that the director randomly cut a few lines. I can't imagine why; they're somewhat important. Arrrgghh, well, it's a student director. I guess she's still learning...

ggh wrote:
Spoiler:
This was for mathrec, but it's not so good - sorry. I thought I could do better but no, not if I'm going to get any coma at all.
(Please imagine, if you will, that the second half is to the right of the first half.)

drent-fassee, drongd-vassi
markings on baobab trees
blair-witchy-spookiness
brings on the dread.

Stressed over fading sand
borne brisk amoeba angst
Black-whitey poisons Sir
(sigh) *nerd ran to bed*

I think it's great. I especially love the last line.

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
I've been doing a little scientific research and I believe I've discovered clear and irrefutable evidence that Angelastic is correct:Consider this obvious chain of relatedness:

1. The GLR has populated the OTC with trees that appear to be baobabs.

2. Baobab is also the name of a musical group out of Dunham, NC consisting primarily of an artist named Phil Torres, who is also a writer.

3. Phil Torres has also written a book called "A Crisis of Faith - Atheism, Emerging Technologies and the Future of Humanity"

4. A Crisis of Faith is a familiar trope and is a central element in Arthur C. Clarke's short story "The Star".

5. Clarke's "The Star" had a Jesuit priest who was horrified to learn that a nova that eliminated a civilization was the Star of Bethlehem.

6. Bethlehem is also a city in Pennsylvania, named after the birthplace of Jesus shown on by that star, and is also the birthplace of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

7. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson had his first major movie role as "The Scorpion King," first introduced in "The Mummy Returns" and then expanded in the prequel "The Scorpion King".

8. "The Scorpion King" had a soundtrack with the single "I Stand Alone", recorded by the group Godsmack.

9. "I Stand Alone" was recorded at The Hit Factory in Miami, Florida. This studio was formerly known as Criteria Studios.

10. Criteria Studios was where The Allman Brothers recorded the studio parts of their classic album "Eat a Peach".

11. There have been recurring rumors that the name "Eat a Peach" and the album art allude to guitarist Duane Allman's motorcycle death in 1971, but it actually refers to a comment he made when asked by reporter Ellen Mandel of Good Times Magazine, "How are you helping the revolution?" Duane Allman's reply included, "...and every time I'm in Georgia, I eat a peach for peace."

12. Georgia peaches are world-famous and the name is used in many ways. There's even the Georgia Peach Award -- an award for outstanding teen literature.

13. The first Georgia Peach award was awarded in 2005, and was won by "The First Part Last", a book that deals with...

pregnancy!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's obvious what the implications of this are: Angelastic was 100% correct!

Wow, I...I don't know what to say. How long did it take you to make all those connections?

I'm sure everyone noticed that there was something in the smaller tree they reached at around frame 1542 (aubronwood), right?

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu May 23, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
azule wrote:

The cougar wears the puma. The mountain lion is still a mountain lion. No threesome!

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 23, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:

Google can find that word now. It just sends you where you need to be.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 23, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
FayZee wrote:
astrocub wrote:
SBN wrote:
mscha wrote:Look what I found in Google Earth... If this isn't proof... ;)

I don't know how to look at what you found.

You can download Google Earth, which will also be a new great way to waste Time between newpix :wink:

Did someone just delete a post? :o :shock:
The one following astrocub's, telling us that if we didn't have Google Earth downloaded, then we were out of luck?
I don't have Google Earth :oops:

Yup, I said pretty much the same thing as astrocub, so I deleted my message, while I still could. (You can while it's the last post in the thread.)
You can get Google Earth for pretty much all platforms here.

Kieryn wrote:You know, I can't believe we didn't notice before:
[spoiler]Image

Enhance:
Spoiler:

This all just goes to reaffirm my conjecture that Cueball and Megan are really just playing a real life GeoGuessr game. There journey is even supported by Google imagers!

As for the continuing Jabberwocky parody dilemma...
StratPlayer wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Oh goodness, what have I done? I somehow didn't see the other already proposed next verse in the review when I submitted and now I've split the poetry continuum in half with a competing alternative 2nd verse (which was already a replacement 2nd verse). As the poem's initiator, I leave it to Ebonite to decide which verse is considered canon.

Or, in keeping with the spirit of the OTT, we could come up with an algorithm to hash the two of them together, ROT-13 the result, and then call it good...

:D

...Whatever solution is reached, the third verse basically can write itself, as the original already bears remarkable similarities to the story.
The original:
He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

Proposed rewrite:
They took their steam bottle in hand:
Long time the sea answers they sought—
So rested they by the neat "Neat tree,"
And lay awhile in thought.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 23, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Yeah. now, in the present. Slightly less present me was out of luck though.
“have i gone mad?

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Oh, if I could get Google to follow my Outside responsibilities as well as it stalks the OTT, my Outside life would be so much easier...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 23, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Good Old Google: Grand Lexical Entity Search

azule wrote:

myxomatosis:
    A disease of rabbits.

onetrues:
    A compound word consisting of one + true, referring to those things that are one and true. e.g. One True Thread, One True Comic

myxomaonetrues:
    A portmanteau of myxomatosis + onetrues. A disease of rabbits where a symptom is to worship onetrues.

Conclusion: Kieryn is a diseased rabbit!

FTFY

Spoiler:
EDIT:

My inspiration came from this old time joke
Last edited by Kieryn on Thu May 23, 2013 6:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Thu May 23, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:
mscha wrote:Whatever it is, it's standing perfectly still and not important enough for Cuegan to comment ONG...

1very x 100

Hey, if something moves by less than a Planck length, it cannot be detected or measured in any way.

Suppose an object moves by 1/3 of a Planck length on each of 10 separate occasions, all in the same direction. Each occasion is a few seconds apart or more.

Has the object moved, or is it still in its original position on the basis that none of the individual movements had any effect?

[nerd]Anything smaller than a planck length is, by definition, unphysical, so it makes no sense to talk about it. Your argument is invalid. :wink: [/nerd]

And I'm scared at how quickly googlebot is trawling us. Maybe we should set up a net...

thirds

Postby thirds » Thu May 23, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

I say it's a toy helicopter in a bush, but I could be wrONG.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 23, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

thirds wrote:I say it's a toy helicopter in a bush, but I could be wrONG.

Well, they're curious for sure.
Image- Kieryn

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu May 23, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
azule wrote:
Spoiler:

myxomatosis:
    A disease of rabbits.

onetrues:

myxomaonetrues:

FTFY

While that may be true, I try not to go around the internet accusing others of having diseases. I do, on the other hand go around accusing others of being rabbits and such. Besides, you are taking care of your disease, right?

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 23, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

astrocub wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:

1very x 100

[nerd]Anything smaller than a planck length is, by definition, unphysical, so it makes no sense to talk about it. Your argument is invalid. :wink: [/nerd]

And I'm scared at how quickly googlebot is trawling us. Maybe we should set up a net...

Googlebot is obviously a devout follower of the OTC and OTT.
Image- Kieryn

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 23, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

azule wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
azule wrote:
Spoiler:

myxomatosis:
    A disease of rabbits.

onetrues:

myxomaonetrues:

FTFY

While that may be true, I try not to go around the internet accusing others of having diseases. I do, on the other hand go around accusing others of being rabbits and such. Besides, you are taking care of your disease, right?

What's up doc? Image
Image- Kieryn

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 23, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:
astrocub wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:[spoiler]
Kieryn wrote:

1very x 100

Googlebot is obviously a devout follower of the OTC and OTT.
[/spoiler]
Well, yeah.
Googlebot may be one of the most persistent followers of time. Someone claiming to be googlebot posted, but that may have been a fake.
“have i gone mad?

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu May 23, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

Very intriguing. I suspect a wider view of what they're looking at might help... but we'll probably just get some more cryptic text first.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 23, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

astrocub wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:

1very x 100

Hmmm. My reading of it is that something at Planck length is unmeasurable. It doesn't follow that it (as a distance) doesn't exist. If we answer Someguy945 to say it is in its original position, we seem to be left with Zeno's paradox. He didn't specify that the object had a size less than Planck length, only that it moved by a small amount.

I suppose we have to infer that something can't be smaller than Planck length, tho.

OTOH, I'm not a physicist, nor even particularly adept at quantum theory or other magic. But then, the physics at this level of scale is unknown. Quantum physicists DO seem to talk about it - probably a lot. Others must judge whether they "make sense." :-)
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 23, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

azule wrote:While that may be true, I try not to go around the internet accusing others of having diseases. I do, on the other hand go around accusing others of being rabbits and such. Besides, you are taking care of your disease, right?

What? Carrotosis?

Edit: Oh rabbits, a double post.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 23, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:

Spoiler:

It definitely looks mechanical. My soon-to-be-proven-wrong guess is: "An agricultural sprinkler of some kind." Perhaps the sprinkler is for upcoming farmland. And they've been left on too long and are flooding the sea with so much run-off that the tides are rising. Which ties in with the whole OTC theme of the effects of man-made alterations of the ecology and environment and global warming and how excessive irrigation leads to pregnancy and cancer...

fatness

Postby fatness » Thu May 23, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

Could be a rope going off to the right tied to a stake hidden in weeds. Given how nearsighted Cuegan have proven to be (really...how DID they miss seeing the baobab trees until they almost ran into one?) there could be an elephant on the other end of it and they'd not see it from here.

thirds

Postby thirds » Thu May 23, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

Spoiler:

It definitely looks mechanical. My soon-to-be-proven-wrong guess is: "An agricultural sprinkler of some kind." Perhaps the sprinkler is for upcoming farmland. And they've been left on too long and are flooding the sea with so much run-off that the tides are rising. Which ties in with the whole OTC theme of the effects of man-made alterations of the ecology and environment and global warming and how excessive irrigation leads to pregnancy and cancer...

I had the idea of a sprinkler as well, one of those tall ones with the mechanical switching arm.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
astrocub wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

1very x 100

Hmmm. My reading of it is that something at Planck length is unmeasurable. It doesn't follow that it (as a distance) doesn't exist. If we answer Someguy945 to say it is in its original position, we seem to be left with Zeno's paradox. He didn't specify that the object had a size less than Planck length, only that it moved by a small amount.

I suppose we have to infer that something can't be smaller than Planck length, tho.

OTOH, I'm not a physicist, nor even particularly adept at quantum theory or other magic. But then, the physics at this level of scale is unknown. Quantum physicists DO seem to talk about it - probably a lot. Others must judge whether they "make sense." :-)

The Planck length is a combination of the gravitational constant, spped of light, and Planck's constant that are dimensionally combined to make a length, and turns out to be ~10-35 m. Another famous combination is the Planck energy, which is when all the universal forces are supposed to combine. The Planck length is supposed to be a fundimental graininess of the unverse, so that any use of partial Planck lengths don't make sense.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu May 23, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

I think M&C are about to talk, so it should be safe to release....

A Panorama. Apologies, but since I included the zoomout there is space above the other trees too, and so I placed tree tops there for illustrative purposes only. Plus one wasn't fitting, so I drew empty branches. Sorry if this is heretical.....
Attachments
Time_Panorama_4.png
Newpix 1424-1552 w/ 1503 @ 200% distributed to the other trees plus drawing.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”