1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlueCrab

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlueCrab » Fri May 24, 2013 1:12 am UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:
thirds wrote:I say it's a toy helicopter in a bush, but I could be wrONG.

Looks like a tiny lighthouse to me.

Since I'm 3 newpages behind right now I'm sure the object has already identified, but I'm having fun picturing it as one of Don Quixote's windmills...
Last edited by BlueCrab on Fri May 24, 2013 2:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Fri May 24, 2013 1:26 am UTC

Lokisource wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:(Warning: long spoiler)

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
Act 1, Scene 4

It is dark; a grotto lit only by candles placed in the nooks of the walls. There are also larger chambers carved out of the walls; they each hold many scrolls of varying sizes. A large table, center stage, is piled with musty books whose ancient bindings show the effects of many yips of use. A large, elaborate candelabra centerpiece illuminates the scribes and clerics who scrutinze these documents by the flickering candlelight.

Among the scribes and clerics bent over the table is the Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction. He gets up with a pained look on his face. Something has happened.

the Pope wrote:I fear there has been a disturbance in the force, as if great voices cried out in anguish, and were suddenly silenced.
first scribe wrote:Why, your Pontiffness? What have you read?
the Pope wrote:It's not what I have read, it's what I have not read.
third cleric wrote:Don't tell me the Pope is feeling a Great Chasm!
fourth cleric wrote:Will you be going back in time?
first scribe wrote:A Quest!
second scribe wrote:A Holy Quest!
The First Cleric hears the excitement and enters from stage right

First Cleric wrote:A Quest?? What is it?
first scribe wrote:It's a Glorious and Holy Pilgrimage through Time. But that's not important right now. Our Pope is feeling a Great Chasm.
First Cleric wrote:Between the ears, he is.

the Pope wrote:This is a most grave and serious matter. I preparing for the Service for True Pilgrims of Time, I have been...
The assembled scribes and clerics glare at the Pope

the Pope continued and wrote:Ok, we all have been consulting the Holy Records, divining who shall be so Blessed in the service. I have also been gathering the Gospels together, and... well... the records just... stop. I fear something terrible has happened.
First Cleric wrote:Something terrible happens every time you act, Mister Pope.
ignoring that outburst, the Pope wrote:Look here at the Gospel of Vytron, for example. Wonderful inspiring documents, then a cry of despair and nothing else. And then look at the writings of...
First Cleric, cutting him off, wrote:No. Don't look at the writings. If they are not there, they are not there. Don't look at what is not there. Instead look at what is there, and that is a Pope who let the sea invade the castle during the first BlitzGirl the Next ceremony, who crowned a BlitzGirl in Paradox, who released raptors while blathering about signs...
first scribe wrote:Silence! The Pope has something to say; we should hear him out. All of us - that is, all of us except you, have been toiling dix after dix in preparation for the Great Service of Pilgrimmage. What have you done?
First Cleric wrote:I have become enlightened.
There is general laughter, but the Pope raises his hand to silence the group.

the Pope wrote:This matter is most serious. It is the largest rift we have experienced to date, and it is a rift made more insideous by its temporal properties.
fourth cleric wrote:So... I humbly asked before, but unlike our esteemed First Cleric, I have not had the Sacrament of Enlightenment.
There is some tittering in the group.

fourth cleric continued and wrote:Will you be leaving us on a Grand and Holy Quest?
the Pope wrote:No. One cannot go back and actually be back, one can only partly go back while one goes forward, speaking to the future of the past in your own present, sending a present to the future from the past, but unable to post the future to the past, once past the post, first past the post, the post toasties, the fruit bats, the...
The Pope sees the looks of puzzlement on the faces of the group.

fourth cleric wrote:I guess it's a ball of timey wimey stuff.
the Pope wrote:Yes. We must be very mindful of our present, as our present is a present to the past, while the past leaves a present for its future.
The Pope looks at the First Cleric.

the Pope continued and wrote:This is enlightenment.
The Pope addresses the group.

the Pope wrote:Please hand me the Gospel of BlitzGirl.
They all bow their heads, and ethereal music is heard as the first scribe reaches into one of the larger chambers in the wall, and pulls out a bound volume, handing it to the Pope with great reverence. The Pope takes the Book, which opens of its own accord to an oft-read and oft-quoted passage.

the Pope wrote:A Reading from the Book of BlitzGirl, Page 454, utterance 18120, id 3341808.
BlitzGirl wrote:I have seen many wonders on my Quest, and this I have learned: Time is not absolute. Though dedicated forum-dwellers may debate names to a Period fresh to their eyes, a weary wanderer may come to the same TimeFrame many longpix later seeing it as but a flash in the long, long thread of Time. While some among us hold fast to the heels of the Now, posting with immediacy and brevity, there are still others at the same moment following 10 newpages back, or 50, or 300. Those of us who experienced the great Fading in real-Time have shared an experience those that follow will never quite match, just as we ourselves cannot comprehend the madness that struck in the early quickpix, or during the Madness itself.

Yet these divisions do not separate us, but make us more powerful. As grains of Sand(semencancercoffeebabies) in a Sandcastle, this needle-pulled thing works best when we are not all of the same shape. Our quirks clasp us together all the more strongly, so that when we Wait for it together - whatever Time we may travel, whatever sect we may splinter, whatever graph or song or hat we share - we are not alone. For though Time may scatter us among the pastposts and the Present, in the end, it is also what brought us to this mad, mad, glorious home in the first place.

This has been a reading of the Gospel of BlitzGirl, a most precious and unique perspective on Time. Other Time travellers will have other perspectives, each one to be revered. It would be a dark day indeed should these gospels never be writ.

We cannot change the past, but we, in the present, must consider all that will pass through it. The heat from the fire of our passions should not scorch the Path, for it will become lifeless. But neither should we judge others and flood the Path to keep it cool, for it will become like unto a river, and drown us all.
The Pope closes the book, knelt, bowes his head, and hands the book back to the first scribe, who reverently puts it back in its designated chamber. The group also kneels and they all bow their heads. There is a moment of silence. The Pope rises.

the Pope wrote:What progress have we made towards the Service?
second scribe wrote:We have compiled the following list of Pilgrims, your Pontiffness. It has been painstaking work, as the records are still fragmented, but I think the list is complete.
The third cleric reads from a scroll:

third cleric wrote:These are the names:

Vytron, macraw83, LankieBlonde, kryton, azule, tman2nd, VoronX, RobIrr, partingLance, TheMinim, Purplepants77, Caswallon, Valarya, lmjb1964, and of course our BlitzGirls, who are also True Pilgrims of Time: BlitzGirl herself, Selcouth, PhoenixRising, and Flado.
the Pope wrote:Three times has VoronX denied engaging in a Blitz. He skips around merrily thither and yon. These are not the ways of a True Pilgrim of Time.
first scribe wrote:Very well, scratch VoronX.
the Pope wrote:With sadness, but also remembering that each of us holds up the Thread of Time, each with their own shape. VoronX is a True Timewaiter.
third cleric wrote:Indeed he is.
second scribe wrote:Caswallon and Valarya appear to be current, but the records show that they have Blitzed without leaving a true gospel.
the Pope wrote:It is not necessary to leave a gospel, though it is certainly a blessing to have done so. After all, Selcouth Blitzed without even an account, showing true dedication.
First Cleric wrote:What of partingLance and Purplepants77 and lmjb1964? All they did was have condiments.
the Pope wrote:It is not for us to judge. Records indicate that their chasm was certainly wide enough to place them in The Past for a while - for seventy pages in some cases - that is an enormous Chasm. Some are still there. They are truly pure of heart. And then there is the curious case of RobIrr.
first scribe wrote:The fossil BlitzGirl!
the Pope wrote:Yes. But he is also a True Pilgrim of Time. He shall be so blessed. Is all in readiness?
first scribe wrote:Yes, your Pontiffness.
the Pope wrote:Then let us begin.
The scrolls, books, and other records are cleared off of the table, leaving just the Candelabra. Lights intensify on the table, which has become an altar, and dim across the rest of the stage. The Pope strides up to the table, lifts the candelabra up on high, and in the most ancient, sacred tongue, intones:

the Pope wrote:In nomine unium verium auctor....
It sounds a little bit like Latin, but the grammar is different and some of the words clearly have other origins.

translated, the Pope wrote:In the name of the One True Author, in observance of the One True Comic, in the service of the One True Thread, and by witness of the One True Congregation, we humbly open our hearts, our souls, and our schedules in devotion.
the congregation wrote:The sea is big. We open ourselves up to it.
the Pope wrote:In devotion, we drink from the One True Thread. In even higher devotion, some of us forsake the present, inviting the river of Time to flow through us and cleanse us until we are sated by the completeness of the past.
the congregation wrote:The river is small. Although we are smaller, we can, and must, drink from the river of Time.
the Pope wrote:We humbly ask that the Blessings of Time fall on our intrepid travellers, True Pilgrims Of Time, Vytron, macraw83, LankieBlonde, kryton, azule, tman2nd, RobIrr, partingLance, TheMinim, Purplepants77, Caswallon, Valarya, lmjb1964, BlitzGirl, Selcouth, PhoenixRising, and Flado, that they be enlightened, uplifted, and granted the Tree of Life.
the congregation wrote:The tree is neat. Let us live up to it.
the Pope wrote:Let us indeed.
[sound cue 7: gong]

the Pope wrote:It is the Holy ONG. Let us disperse in peace, and worship in awe.
the congregation wrote:In the name of the One True Author, in observance of the One True Comic, in the service of the One True Thread.
the Pope wrote:Amen.
blackout.Jose

ucim, this is beautiful, and funny, and epic. I'm honored that you mentioned me, but I don't feel worthy, since I've mainly been adding condiments. But thank you for this!

In two words, truly epic

Truly. Thank you, ucim. I am unworthy.

(NP 627/699)
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 24, 2013 1:36 am UTC

mscha wrote:Two Three observations on the current newpix:
1. No return of the molpy. (Must have returned to its waiting. ;) )
2. Cueball asks “Do you think it's OK to take some”, right after he took some...

and:

3. The dialogue dance worked!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Fri May 24, 2013 1:36 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
Good point. A cable wouldn't stick out that left end stiffly, so it is clearly neither a wire nor cable. Something stiff.

That's what She said!
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 24, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Oh, and how about a Waiting, Humongous, ONGish Molar Pancreas (WHOMP) of molpies?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 24, 2013 1:43 am UTC

ergman wrote:Alright. I did a Sestina. It wasn't easy, but damn if if was fun. I went for the 11 syllables per line rule as well, though apparently that isn't mandatory. Suffice to say I did a lot of counting on my fingers:
Spoiler:
In Time we heed certain creeds: the sea is big
Revealed by our prophets: the river is small
Cuegan's brief rare dialogues: the tree is neat
Recorded, hid in footnotes: the fire is old
Mystic exposition: empty, beautiful
And of course lord Randall's own words: wait for it

When I first stumbled all alone into It
A panel as per thrice a week, nothing big
Two folk on a beach, so zen and beautiful
Left it alone thinking it something small
Returned later and saw not panel of old
An oh so slow changing image, I thought 'Neat'

Curious about the rules of all things neat
I wiki'd and found a religion 'bout it
In needle pulled form, 400 pages old
I feared to blitz, for time was scarce, pages big
I joined in, threw in my voice, though it is small
I could not bypass something so beautiful

I Learned the terms, the mad tongue so beautiful
I met the folk so kind, funny and neat
Hunted for the molpy, secretive and small
The varied creation pile, I fed some to it
Speculated heresy, theories big
For food I gave sorbet to replace the old

If time ended I could not go back to the old
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful
I can't undrink from the salty sea so big
I forever shall regard the trees as neat
There's double meaning when I say wait for it
The man I was pre-OTT was someone small

Outside now throws my way many matters small
Narnia style, will I one day grow too old?
Ok, that worry's senseless, do it ignore it
Have faith that OTC's forever beautiful
Believe in GLR, science-god so neat
He knows what he's doing like the trees so big

~It needs small words , sestina the beautiful
I'm a whole six stanzas old, and its still neat
Though I'm tired of it's 39 lines; so big~

Well, there you have it. Very melodramatic, as many poems are. Coma time for me now. Have fun

Love it! And now you've spoiled it for anyone else, because you used the six most relevant words in the OTT & OTC: Big, Small, It, Beautiful, Old1, It.

Opiboble wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Contemplating whether stealing is wrONG here...
Spoiler:
As a former fence-ist, I humbly concede to the victory of the vineyard proponents.

I guess it is a fruit bearing vine, still who ever is running this vineyard is very foolish in having them so low to the ground, or are very short so it wont strain there backs.

I believe that the height shown is a pretty standard height for vineyards.

Opiboble wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I like a Waiting of molpies. I was going to suggest a mole of molpies but that might not be a good idea...

Good, but I'm partial to a "mope of molpies" myself.

Mope of molpies is a great idea! It has my vote!

I like the idea of a Waiting of molpies, but I like the sound of Mope of Molpies better.

1 Is "old" one of our footnote words?

Cadellin

Postby Cadellin » Fri May 24, 2013 1:45 am UTC

Megan seems to think its okay to take some of whatever is growing there. Another insight for the paradigm the One True Religion?

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri May 24, 2013 1:48 am UTC

Cadellin wrote:Megan seems to think its okay to take some of whatever is growing there. Another insight for the paradigm the One True Religion?

Hmm, let me try...
Hey buffygirl, may I take some of your hats?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 24, 2013 1:48 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:I like the idea of a Waiting of molpies, but I like the sound of Mope of Molpies better.
How about... a Moping of Molpies?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 24, 2013 1:51 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Cadellin wrote:Megan seems to think its okay to take some of whatever is growing there. Another insight for the paradigm the One True Religion?

Hmm, let me try...

GRRRRRR .... charlie_grumbles, can I borrow Fluffy?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:53 am UTC

A pixel of molpies.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 24, 2013 1:53 am UTC

Maximum deforestry is her Manifest Destiny. Obviously another allusion to how destruction of the environment and global warming and reckless vegetarianism leads to pregnancy and cancer...

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri May 24, 2013 1:53 am UTC

There aren't a lot of options for fruit grown on vines that are trellised like that. They're either grapes or some variety of berry.

ETA: Those certainly aren't apples, so as long as they don't start conversing with molpy-snakes, I don't think there are any religious implications.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri May 24, 2013 2:01 am UTC

PickONG grape-berries

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri May 24, 2013 2:02 am UTC

I like the sound of "a whomp of molpies", although I'm not so keen on StratPlayer's bacronym for it.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 24, 2013 2:07 am UTC

Davidy wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
Good point. A cable wouldn't stick out that left end stiffly, so it is clearly neither a wire nor cable. Something stiff.

That's what She said!

This depends on the cable. Fifty-two shielded twisted pairs in a shielded poly sheath is "flexible", but you almost need to use a conduit bender on it. Why you would have it exposed to the weather, I wouldn't guess. It could be wire strung out for an antenna, but you'd keep the plants off of it. And they do look like old, untended, grapes.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri May 24, 2013 2:13 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

Hmm, let me try...

Thanks for your kindness... here is a preview of my next chapter, Ambush, aka In Which We Meet Mr. Jones Mustard:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl managed to open a time vortex and escape just in time. A shield quickly appeared around the Pope's transport. Poor buffygirl seemed to be defenseless, but miraculously, she came out with no damages whatsoever.
Selecting new quote…

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 24, 2013 2:16 am UTC

From the past I must write for I am in need of much ketchup. Yet, these past days, I have had my fill of ketchup for I've had much of it in the [heretical] Outside [/heretical]. I hope that Cuegan find those grapes(?) tasty. To the past I return to begin my ketchup blitz!
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 24, 2013 2:18 am UTC

What about a MALP of Molpies?
[/sg1]
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri May 24, 2013 2:20 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:What about a MALP of Molpies?
[/sg1]

Does it work as a radio transmitter?
Selecting new quote…

Artemis_Wolf

Postby Artemis_Wolf » Fri May 24, 2013 2:25 am UTC

mathrec wrote:(If anyone doesn't have their jaw on the floor, just try to write two double dactyl lines that have meaning relevant to the forum and are anagrams of each other!)

To quote Barney Stinson,
"Challenge accepted!"
(I wouldn't have quoted Barney Stinson, but it came up in the anagram/double-dactyl hybrid.)
Okay, so it's no Shakespeare, (as is common with anagrams, it makes little sense) but I think it's pretty good for a double-dactyl/anagram hybrid.
Writing process:
Spoiler:
So I looked up the form of a double dactyl on Wikipedia, replaced a few vowels with apostrophes, (making sure I used apostrophes on the second half to represent the same vowels) realized that I made the bottom lines into two dactyls instead of a dactyl and a stressed syllable, stuck the bottom lines on the top, and was almost finished when my mother asked me to go to bed. By that time, I'd experimented with a few possible versions of each line and wasn't sure which worked better-- the some of the lines were definitely lesser because they had to be anagrams of lines on the other half of the double dactyl-- and I ended up with three versions of the odd-numbered lines and two of the even. Just to keep the symmetry, I made up two quick alternate versions of the even-numbered lines.
The versions of my double dactyl:
Spoiler:
VERSION 1:
Sand nil height, hourglass mite.-------Animals, drought shines light,
Time, Ben?-- lonely mus'c.--------------Biolum'nescently.
Challenge accept'd! Subm'rine pure.---Meg'n, Cueball, Princ'ss Peach trued,
What conquers all?-----------------------Clan quest: Warhol.

VERSION 2:
Sand midnight, hourglass lithe,--------Animal's droughts shined light,
Timely en noble mus'c.------------------Biolum'nescently.
Challenge accept'd! Subm'rine's peri.--Meg'n, Cueball, Princ'ss Peach stride--
Life conquers all.-------------------------Liquor, scene fall.
("peri" meaning periscope)

VERSION 3:
Sand holes mite, hourglass night-------Animal's droughts shone lights
Worry en sylph unto----------------------Tryphon-Sunflowery
Challenge accepted, Baum!--------------Megan Dee, patch Cueball. (Should that be "Megan, patch Cueball Dee"?)
Randall Munroe.---------------------------Murder Naal, lo!
("Tryphon-Sunflowery" being derived from the literal translation of Tryphon Tournesol-- which is apparently Herge's orginal name for Cuthbert Calculus in the Tintin series-- and "Naal" meaning the murder movie Andha Naal)

The lines are pretty much interchangeable, so one line might go better on another version. Not sure which versions of which (pairs of) lines are the best.
Anyway, hopefully I didn't mess up the meter or the anagrams. What do you guys think? Any feedback?
Last edited by Artemis_Wolf on Fri May 24, 2013 4:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri May 24, 2013 2:30 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
mscha wrote:They don't seem to be very good fliers...

Also, waiting for dialogue, we simply must have a canonical adjective to describe these creatures. (Edit: and don't say “neat”, Megan, think of something new.)

*Clears throat* I believe that it would not be inaccurate to describe them as some kind of Ardeidae. Bills are wrong for Ibis and dubbing them as egrets is indeterminable as we cannot see coloration of bills or legs. Therefore, a species of heron would be general enough to be accurate, but leave room for more specific identification at a later time, should that be possible, and we might have cause to rename them as egrets (should additional identifying characteristics become available). I cannot say for sure,at this time, if they are molpy related or not. It is possible. We know that birds are dinosaurs (I feel strongly that objections to such irrefutable fact is heresy). Perhaps we can come to a consensus that Time is populated by Time Raptors (which resemble Osprey) and Molpy Herons (which resemble herons/egrets).

Edit: Oh, and herons and egrets, and other similar wading birds, are somewhat awkward during lift off. Their elegance can be seem in flight, or in the slow, patient, deliberate way in which they wade through shallow water. But during take off, they are less than dignified in appearance (or so I have always thought). Landings tend to be a bit better (especially when they are in breeding plumage, for they really show off their stuff with wings spread and turned down as they slow decent on touch down).

No egrets?

Molpy herons seem to be half rabbits, so they could be herabbits?

I'm suspecting this was all resolved long ago in any case, so my musings will come to naught.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 24, 2013 2:34 am UTC

Medium-long ketchup, riverish ketchuppost.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:i don't mean to be rude, but I think we need to stop a moment and ask ourselves: What is this thread about? Inflating our egoes by comparing which one of us can provoke a certain user into responding to our posts the most, or discussing an internet comic that just so happens to change once every hour? Because I'm pretty sure it's not the first one.
We're making the posts themselves more important than the information they contain. That's a good way to get a thread locked and users banned.
I am also somewhat perturbed by the fact that we seem to be making one user more important than all the others. No user should get any special level of attention or priveleges, moderators, webninjas, and others who have been trusted with controlling the forums excepted. A user's first post can be just as insightful as a user's thousandth post. Sometimes less, sometimes more. No non-admin/webmaster user is inherently better than any other.
I'm just a person sitting in front of a screen. So is BlitzGirl, Valarya, tman2nd, Kieryn, Red Hal, Vytron, Opibobble, jetpac, KarMann, Exodies, Tometheus, Selcouth, Ace, davidy, EternalDensity, and everyone else who's ever lurked and posted on this forum (don't worry, I care about you guys too, I just don't feel like listing all of this forum's users). None of us should be treated differently than any other.

Words of wisdom. I was starting to feel like this was going a little off-track. It was a fun exercise at first and something meant to be taken lightly, but I think with this reflection it makes sense not to do any further work in this direction. One positive benefit it has had though is helping provide me with examples where my quote-matching algorithm is messing up. I will now return to more creative projects.

I absolutely agree that the quality of posts should be taken into the utmost consideration...but would like to ask, was anyone actually modifying their posting habits to attempt to change their Blitzgirl number? I wasn't aware that anyone was doing so, and I certainly wasn't myself, but I agree that it could become an issue given enough time.

BlitzGirl wrote:Wait a newpix...

Wine...fencing...berets...
Have we all forgotten the French Connection? Image

Never mind the baobabs. Everybody knows they want to be French.

And what country in Africa is primarily French-speaking...?

Senegal!

It's ALL connected!

Also commemorating a (somewhat) momentous postmark1: A very important number (413) from a certain [heresy]OtherOtherComic[/heresy]. Not sure if anyone here knows what I'm talking about.
1post count-landmark

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:41 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

Hmm, let me try...

Thanks for your kindness... here is a preview of my next chapter, Ambush, aka In Which We Meet Mr. Jones Mustard:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl managed to open a time vortex and escape just in time. A shield quickly appeared around the Pope's transport. Poor buffygirl seemed to be defenseless, but miraculously, she came out with no damages whatsoever.

Reminds me of this.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 24, 2013 2:41 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:3. The dialogue dance worked!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Never underestimate the power of the dialogue dance. It should be used only in Times of great need, such as this. The Vine-Fence debate needed an answer, and now I, too, dutifully concede to the Vineyardists:
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Good, but I'm partial to a "mope of molpies" myself.

Mope of Molpies is also awesome and fun to say :D

Also BlitzGirl's molpy-charming emoticon set was too good, I had to sig it... but couldn't because I got an error saying "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image." Booo.

Oooh, I like mope of molpies too! Considering I am the Mopey Molpy Mome. :D
If you want to sig the charmed molpies, you may have to replace the molpy image url with this one: Image as the one I used in my post included shortened urls from the top-level .gp domain, which is Guadeloupe. I noticed that the forum software does not play nice with them. (The flute-playing smiley should be okay).
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 am UTC

Sorry, no special updates today, just the latest parse.

Okay, so... here's a vague description of this concept I've been having...

I want to make a video of the passage of the OTC and the OTT in sync. The posts of the OTT will fly-by in 3d and at the same time I want to display the frames of the OTC perhaps also flying by in 3d. I kind of have the mechanics of the structural presentation of this already in place, but I want to show some content of the OTT and it's kind of difficult due to the speed at which it's flying... Already 3 seconds per newpix gives almost a feature-length movie.

Some interesting things like showing posted images would be pretty easy to do, but some highlights of the other art/works and topics would be good too. I'm going to use post popularity by quoting to give me a longlist of content, also I will try to detect verse and other interesting stuff. The sound track will also come from our posted content, though I need to be careful not to include copyrighted material.

I will ultimately need help from everyone to do some connoisseuring of the content longlist and suggesting of epic/worthy posts or art or content related to OTC that may even be outside of the OTT. I suggest that the community start making much use of the OTWfor this purpose... it's kind of out of date right now, but I would like to be able to use the content on there (particularly the sections under the The One True Thread) as a guide to the highlights of the the OTT. Please include all reference links back to the original posts in the OTT so I can timestamp the content.

This is quite a large undertaking, so don't expect this to be ready overnight. I'm sure I could throw together something really quick that looks kind of cool, but doesn't really capture the essence. The overall aim here is to produce a work of art that is a kind of documentary-style reflection of our experiences. I want it to be meaningful, not just visually cool, and this might mean that I don't produce the final work until until the OTC ends. If the OTC does starts to seem unending or loops (at the moment it seems to me like there is a typical story progression) then I will probably find an appropriate moment to release the work.

All contributors are welcome, feel free to PM me with any suggestions, offers of help, criticisms, words of encouragement, whatever you like. I'll try as best I can to keep everyone updated on my progress with this.
Last edited by Kieryn on Fri May 24, 2013 3:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 24, 2013 2:44 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oooh, I like mope of molpies too! Considering I am the Mopey Molpy Mome. :D

I personally can't decide between a mope of molpies and a pancreas of molpies. Which is more whimsical?? :o

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:47 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Oooh, I like mope of molpies too! Considering I am the Mopey Molpy Mome. :D

I personally can't decide between a mope of molpies and a pancreas of molpies. Which is more whimsical?? :o

A 'mope of molpies' would make for better poetry. It gets my vote.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri May 24, 2013 2:49 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
mscha wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
Note: Tangentally touching on blitzposts, but more in the way of explaining what I mean by suggestion.

Mscha: you don't offer suggestions because you are superior to the person you are suggesting things to. You offer suggestions because you have more experience than those people. Having read nearly all of the OTT, I have more experience with it than most people who are currently blitzing do.(I've missed something like 30 pages) It isn't because I feel superior to them(I am, but only in matters of dispensing punishment to heretics... :P ) so much as in the same fashion as one who has spent years on the sea might suggest not setting out if the sky is red in the morning. It is because I wish to help them that I suggest, not because I wish to suppress them.

They can offer suggestions to me, as well, and I will consider them--which is all I expect anyone to do with a suggestion. My suggestions are likely to have a bit more weight, I guess, simply because I have read more than they of the OTC, but that doesn't mean that mine or incioble, nor that theirs are are not worth considering.

In short, a suggestion is only a suggestion, not an order or a rule. much like posting, I can only worry so much about how people may take it. I am not(outside of possibly the initial argument, depending on how you interpret it--I never meant to, but that may not be how it came out) saying people shouldn't blitz, nor trying to discourage them from posting signposts; I merely think that they, and we as well, should consider how others will read the post, and then decide whether it is worth posting. No lie, I have deleted entire posts before posting them)some longer than this one) because they were neither witty, informative, helpful, nor added to the thread in my opinion. Is it really so wrong to ask that others put as much thought into what they post as I, given that I don't expect them to take my words as law?

If so, then you really should stop telling people not to post suggestions, because what right do you have to do so? what makes you superior to the people who post those?

I realize that, and I don't want to do that – the last thing in Time that I want is to continue this discussion – but the problem is, if we just “agree to disagree”, your signature (and others) keeps discouraging Blitzers from posting. That may not be your intention, but it is proven reality.

But now I'll shut up, because you're obviously not going to change your mind. :(

I have made it a note to Coma Blitzers and it isn't has bold and harsh. I like Ketchup posts/blasts from the past but I still think people coming back from Coma should be responsible with there blind posts, it doesn't take that long to read 3-5NP and quote discussions properly.

3-5 NP is not so hard. It's when there are 20-30+ that I resort to blind posts. . . .
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 24, 2013 2:52 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

A 'mope of molpies' would make for better poetry. It gets my vote.
My brain wants to see "It gets my vope". Silly brain.
ChronosDragon wrote:Also commemorating a (somewhat) momentous postmark1: A very important number (413) from a certain [heresy]OtherOtherComic[/heresy]. Not sure if anyone here knows what I'm talking about.
1post count-landmark
No but it was easy to google it.

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 24, 2013 2:54 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

A stirfry of molpies, because they jump about.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri May 24, 2013 2:57 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:i don't mean to be rude, but I think we need to stop a moment and ask ourselves: What is this thread about?
Spoiler:
Inflating our egoes by comparing which one of us can provoke a certain user into responding to our posts the most, or discussing an internet comic that just so happens to change once every hour? Because I'm pretty sure it's not the first one.
We're making the posts themselves more important than the information they contain. That's a good way to get a thread locked and users banned.

As someone who's done his share of bringing an overload of self-reference to the OTT, I have to largely agree with you. Looking back over the little d-dactyl craze I started, I see that (though there are many excellent exceptions) the majority of them are about the thread rather than the comic─and all five of mine are about posters on the thread. Ouch.
· And I don't mind admitting that the poetry response was gratifying, or that I got a thrill out of noticing that I'd somehow made it into Kieryn's top-twenty chart; I don't mind an ego-boost now and again.
· But I've made my share of observations about the comic itself, and so have most of us. And I read (and chuckle at) your posts, so I know you're not opposed to bits of random humor and off-topic discussion. We just need to keep it in proportion, and not forget the comic that's supposed to tie it all together.
Continuing, HAL9000 wrote:I am also somewhat perturbed by the fact that we seem to be making one user more important than all the others.
Spoiler:
No user should get any special level of attention or priveleges, moderators, webninjas, and others who have been trusted with controlling the forums excepted. A user's first post can be just as insightful as a user's thousandth post. Sometimes less, sometimes more. No non-admin/webmaster user is inherently better than any other.
I'm just a person sitting in front of a screen. So is BlitzGirl, Valarya, tman2nd, Kieryn, Red Hal, Vytron, Opibobble, jetpac, KarMann, Exodies, Tometheus, Selcouth, Ace, davidy, EternalDensity, and everyone else who's ever lurked and posted on this forum (don't worry, I care about you guys too, I just don't feel like listing all of this forum's users). None of us should be treated differently than any other.

Here, on the other hand, I can't help but point out that you're fighting human nature, on more than one level. You're right, that all of us posting here are important, the light posters as well as the heavy. One of my favorite poems came from AnotherKevin, who's posted only 14 times altogether, averaging less than once per day since he joined us. But unless a light poster writes something particularly memorable, we're going to remember the names we see most often (such as yours).
· Also, I called AnotherKevin's poem a favorite─and that's also human nature: to pick favorites. I have favorite posters here I read with care, and posters I habitually skim over─and they're probably not the same ones that you deep-read or skim. In a group this size, it's natural for subgroups to form, and for popular leaders to emerge. BlitzGirl, whether she wanted it or not, became Homecoming Queen of the thread.
· Finally, we rallied behind BlitzGirl because she was attempting something (within this limited context) quite heroic: to read what must have (if estimates here and there are correct) eventually become several million words of text. And we human beings want heroes, too─people who do the admirable, the impressive, the amazing. Especially if they do it with humor, wit, charm, and style.
· No, we don't need to get obsessed with our BlitzGirl numbers. But she (and others too numerous to name) will unavoidably remain unusually prominent and important threads in the weave of the One True Thread.
· That's just human nature. Even a stress pill won't change that.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri May 24, 2013 3:06 am UTC

NommONG...Image
It's like they haven't eaten for wips!
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri May 24, 2013 3:09 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Also commemorating a (somewhat) momentous postmark1: A very important number (413) from a certain [heresy]OtherOtherComic[/heresy]. Not sure if anyone here knows what I'm talking about.
1post count-landmark
No but it was easy to google it.

And Know Your Meme is a good resource too. So now I have [heresey]another web comic[/heresy] to check out. Later. Maybe when I have time. Like after Time ends. If it ends. If I don't end before It does. Or if I don't end before 'It' arrives at the end of Time, when I have time to do it, which is a different it than the IT of the end of Time, which will be when I end my time with Time, or when Time ends it's time with me...

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri May 24, 2013 3:10 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:NommONG...
Spoiler:

It's like they haven't eaten for wips!

Phew ... it would have been rather ironic (and embarrassing) if we forgot about the OTC and let newpixbot post the newpix while ranting1 about forgetting we aren't the focus of the thread.

1ignore any negative connotations of this word :D

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 24, 2013 3:11 am UTC

I wonder if these are baconberries. Or perhaps coffee...

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 24, 2013 3:11 am UTC

[Scene 7: exterior, morning]
Sounds of birds twittering, the slight rustling of people in their tents waking up.

[Fade in] as the camera tracks across one of the tents as a sleepy-eyed cleric emerges. The camera continues to track to the right, and when the tent is out of view, we can see the sunrise behind it, over the nearby hills. The camera continues its track across a few more scribes and clerics that have gotten up and are walking around, and finally rests in front of another tent. The Pope emerges. He is awake, alert, and has a look of resolve. The second scribe comes up to the Pope, bows her head briefly, then looks up at him as the camera trucks and pans around to the side, keeping them in frame but showing the campground coming to life behind them.
second scribe wrote:Thank you, your Pontiffness... for last night. It really meant a lot to me.
The Pope takes both her hands in his.
the Pope wrote:These are troubling times; I'm glad I could be of comfort to you.
second scribe wrote:You were. I couldn't sleep, at first. But then I thought of what you had said. That Pilgrim prayer; it is so powerful! And then I realized that... well... we are really going to be just fine. macraw83, me... you...
By now a few other scribes have stopped to listen to the Pope and the second scribe.
the Pope wrote:Well, we have to make sure of it. We must go on a quest, and return to the Holy Records Chamber.
second scribe wrote:A Holy Quest?
The scribes and clerics behind them start to titter amongst themselves
fourth cleric wrote:That's what she said the last time!
fifth scribe wrote:Yeah, but she wasn't going with him then!
sixth cleric, singing a childhood song wrote:Popie and the second scribe sitting in a tree...
third cleric wrote:That doesn't even scan! Where did you learn poetry? The internet?
first scribe wrote:It's not fair. Why can't she come with me?
fifth cleric wrote:'Cause you're a feckin' eejit, that's why!
first scribe wrote:... like the Pope's any better?
the Pope, in a voice that would wake the dead, wrote:Silence!
calmer, the Pope wrote:This is a most grave and serious matter. Fetch me the First Cleric.
Spoiler:
[cut to: interior, morning - closeup on the still-sleeping First Cleric in his tent]
He is clutching what appears to be a teddy bear. The camera trucks back and tilts up revealing the opening of the tent, through which burst two robed clerics.
seventh cleric wrote:It is the Pope - he needs you!
sixth cleric wrote:... and you won't believe what we just heard!
The First Cleric wakes up, a little groggy.
First Cleric wrote:I don't believe what I just heard! The Pope needs me?
sixth cleric wrote:Come quickly!
The First Cleric gets out of his sleeping bag, in blue footie pajamas that have choo-choo trains and whistles and elephants on wheels printed all over them.
First Cleric wrote:Let me get dressed first, ok?
seventh cleric wrote:You're not gonna wanna miss this.
They lead the First Cleric out of his tent, and the camera pans to follow, revealing a white fluffy tail on the First Cleric's pajamas as he exits through the tent flap.

[cut to: exterior - morning medium shot: The Pope, second scribe, and the gathering crowd.]
the Pope wrote:... I can think of nobody more qualified, and so, the second scribe and I shall venture back to our castle, to get to the bottom of this.
fourth scribe wrote:Oh, they're going to get some bottom, all right!
The First Cleric enters the scene from behind the camera.
the Pope wrote:Ah... First Cleric! The second scribe and I am going on a Quest...
First Cleric wrote:Can I come too?
the Pope wrote:... It will be frightfully dangerous, exceedingly perilous, and a bit risky.
First Cleric wrote:Maybe I'll stay here instead!
the Pope wrote:I was hoping you'd say that. For a number of reasons. But anyway, I need somebody to lead the party while we are away. Somebody brave, cunning, brilliant, and fearless. Somebody the entire clergy and congregation looks up to. Somebody.... well, like me. But I won't be here, so I'll have to depend on you. I will be leaving this day to return to our castle...
fourth cleric wrote:Could you pick up the Holy Arrow of Armageddon? That would be so cool!
fourth scribe wrote:... and my towel. I forgot it, and it should be dry by now.
The Pope starts to make notes.
the Pope wrote:Holy Arrow of Arma... NO! This is a Holy Quest! We have grave matters to attend to!
first scribe hunches over and wrote:Don't say "grave" to an old person!
the Pope wrote:... From this moment forward, I am placing you into the very capable hands of the First Cleric. His words are to be as my words. His deeds are to be as my deeds. Saddle up the coconuts; the second scribe and I must be off!
fourth cleric, to the fifth scribe wrote:Oh... I reckon they already are!
With a wave of his hand, he disperses the crowd, and the clerics get busy.

{cut to: close-up on the second scribe and the Pope]
second scribe wrote:All that stuff about danger, peril...
the Pope wrote:There is nobody I would rather go through risk and danger with than you. And don't forget about peril - there will be some of that too. But we must. You know this perhaps better than I.
second scribe wrote:Better than me.
the Pope wrote:Really? I thought it was the nominative.. it's short for...

[SFX] - the sky darkens, and there is a deep rumbling, like an earthquake. The wind starts to pick up, and then to blow with fierceness. Clerics and scribes run around trying to salvage what they can as tents are blown down. Then there is a great noise, as if from the sea, but the sea is nowhere to be seen. There is a huge blinding flash, and the sky turns red, then yellow, then green, and the colors start swirling, mixing with purple, and with colors that aren't even in the rainbow.

[SFX: closeup on the ground, then widening out] The ground starts to split, and the camera tilts to track the split as it runs towards the hill, where the sky is getting insanely bright and colorful.
the Pope wrote:That way! Come!
The Pope starts to run towards the hill and the psychedelics. The camera pedestals upward and tilts down to take in the pandemonium as the clerics and scribes all follow the Pope as he runs up the hill. The camera follows behind in a wide aerial shot as choir music is heard, growing louder and more intense as they crest the hill, coming to a climax as we see what is behind the hill is a valley filled with huge, huge, trees of a kind that have never before been seen by anyone present, all backed by a sky of swirling colors beyond imagine. The camera lingers on this sight for a moment as the Pope and his party crests the hill, and pauses to take it in.

[close-up on the second scribe], who kneels down, her face radient, and reflecting the varigated lights of the sky. The camera tracks to the right showing other clergy in similar states of reverence, finally landing on the Pope, who is still standing.
the Pope wrote:Dei Verum dii auctorim!
The Pope kneels.

[SFX] There is a huge thunderclap, and the choir music ends, the sky returns to its normal color.

[cut to - wide shot of the valley of the trees]
The trees are still there, majestic in their stature, but now are seen in ordinary sunlight. There appears to be a figure off in the distance, down in the valley, near one of the trees. It is struggling. From behind the camera, the Pope runs down the hill, closely followed by the clerics and scribes. As the last of the people pass the camera, we can see that he (or she, it's hard to tell!) is clapping two coconuts together as they run down the hill.

[close-up] A struggling figure who appears to have one foot stuck in the ground and is trying to extract it, without much success. Behind him is the massive trunk of one of the giant trees. The Pope and his party come into view and the camera dollies back to include them.
the Pope wrote:Who beeist thou, who comes forth with such Great Herald?
second scribe, with great excitement, wrote:I know who it is!
She looks at the Pope.
second scribe wrote:Don't you?
First Cleric wrote:He doesn't know much of anything. He's the Pope.
fourth scribe wrote:It is written! It is in the Holy Scrolls!
the Pope, kind of addressing the crowd, wrote:Oh... I... I know who he is. I'm... just... letting him introduce himself. It's only polite.
the figure with his foot stuck wrote:Could you... kind of... help me get my foot out of the ground here?
the Pope wrote:Certainly. But who dost thou be, ye who comes from parts unknown and by means even more unknown?
the figure with his foot stuck wrote:None call me... "Tim"? Instead, I am known as "Vytron", a humble Timewaiter. I have been for all of Time chasing time; sometimes quickly, sometimes not so quickly as Time itself. But I found a Portal here, and took it. Have I verily reached the Present? It would be so glorious!
First Cleric wrote:Missed... by that much!
The Pope wrote:Yea, verily, you are in the Present Time. I have heard many tales of your adventures, indeed they are of Great Inspiration!
The Pope kneels
the Pope wrote:Welcome Vytron, BlitzGirl the Next!
First Cleric wrote:Oh, don't do it again! Look at his foot! He's not all here yet!
The second scribe turns to the First Cleric.
second scribe wrote:Look at your head. You're not all here yet either.
The Pope turns to the second scribe.
the Pope wrote:I like you.
The Pope addresses the crowd.
the Pope wrote:Let's all help Vytron get free of the past!
Vytron wrote:Thank you so much. But first, I must leave a signpost.
There is great consternation in the crowd.
Vytron wrote:Don't worry, it is short.
Vytron pulls a knife out of its sheath, reaches over to the nearby giant tree, and begins to carve, in carefully formed letters.

[close-up on the treetrunk] where Vytron is carving the words:
"Vytron was here."

[wide shot - the entire group]
the Pope wrote:This is a Great and Glorious Day! We will make camp here, that Vytron may join us in Celebration and Commemoration of this Blessed Event! Make ready the preparations! Prepare the readiness! Let us follow our Great Commandment without delay!

The camera pedestals up to an aerial shot to show cheering, music, and feasting which will go on that entire day and night as the Valley of the Giant Trees is made ready for the gala festival that is to come.

The Holy Records Chamber quest would have to wait.
Jose
<--previous (NP 672) / table of contents (on xkcd wiki) / next--> (NP 751)
Last edited by ucim on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:29 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 24, 2013 3:17 am UTC

ucim wrote:[Scene 7: exterior, morning]
Sounds of birds twittering, the slight rustling of people in their tents waking up. <longsnip>

My reaction is a combination of awe and laughter. Well done!

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 24, 2013 3:28 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
ucim wrote:[Scene 7: exterior, morning]
Sounds of birds twittering, the slight rustling of people in their tents waking up. <longsnip>

My reaction is a combination of awe and laughter. Well done!

Much laughing, indeed. (I was reminded of that old joke about Barbie and Ken and ... never mind.)

The Hills. From far away, the tops of the trees could appear to be hills. Perhaps they've passed through The Hills.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri May 24, 2013 3:35 am UTC

bmonk wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
mscha wrote:They don't seem to be very good fliers...

Also, waiting for dialogue, we simply must have a canonical adjective to describe these creatures. (Edit: and don't say “neat”, Megan, think of something new.)

*Clears throat* I believe that it would not be inaccurate to describe them as some kind of Ardeidae. Bills are wrong for Ibis and dubbing them as egrets is indeterminable as we cannot see coloration of bills or legs. Therefore, a species of heron would be general enough to be accurate, but leave room for more specific identification at a later time, should that be possible, and we might have cause to rename them as egrets (should additional identifying characteristics become available). I cannot say for sure,at this time, if they are molpy related or not. It is possible. We know that birds are dinosaurs (I feel strongly that objections to such irrefutable fact is heresy). Perhaps we can come to a consensus that Time is populated by Time Raptors (which resemble Osprey) and Molpy Herons (which resemble herons/egrets).

Edit: Oh, and herons and egrets, and other similar wading birds, are somewhat awkward during lift off. Their elegance can be seem in flight, or in the slow, patient, deliberate way in which they wade through shallow water. But during take off, they are less than dignified in appearance (or so I have always thought). Landings tend to be a bit better (especially when they are in breeding plumage, for they really show off their stuff with wings spread and turned down as they slow decent on touch down).

No egrets?

Molpy herons seem to be half rabbits, so they could be herabbits?

I'm suspecting this was all resolved long ago in any case, so my musings will come to naught.

I already identified these as spoonbills. Edit: Now you lurker may post the top of the 700th.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”