1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

fatness

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fatness » Fri May 24, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

BONGk

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 24, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

By the way, I'd like to say thanks to whoever it was earlier that recommended 1/0. I finished (OtherBlitzed?) the archives over the last few days, and then proceeded to read the author's current comic (Leftoversoup) from the beginning up to present day last night. I think it's fair to say that I'm a fan of Mr. Tailsteak ;)

Anyways, back on-topic again. We appear to be due for another scene change. Any predictions on scenery or lack thereof? I'm guessing we'll have a few scenes of grass, molpies, and beesnakes before there's anything big again.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri May 24, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:*drags furniture in front of the door* There, that should keep the Outside at bay for a few minutes.
<snip/>
*crash as door is broken upon and furniture knocked over* Aagghhh, time's up. Hope to see you all again soon...

Very dramatic, me likes. It actually worried me a bit. I hope you're okay. :P

And, damn, has everyone here been in a movie or written a scientific paper? I haven't done either. :( *feels unsmart/uncool*

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

edfel

Postby edfel » Fri May 24, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:By the way, I'd like to say thanks to whoever it was earlier that recommended 1/0. I finished (OtherBlitzed?) the archives over the last few days, and then proceeded to read the author's current comic (Leftoversoup) from the beginning up to present day last night. I think it's fair to say that I'm a fan of Mr. Tailsteak ;)

Anyways, back on-topic again. We appear to be due for another scene change. Any predictions on scenery or lack thereof? I'm guessing we'll have a few scenes of grass, molpies, and beesnakes before there's anything big again.

I'd say an abandoned shelter of some sort: some trace of people living there (more solid than wood sticks or wow-tree marks), but still too old to suppose that anyone is around.However that should not happen in the next scene, but probably in the one after :)
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 24, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

azule wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:*drags furniture in front of the door* There, that should keep the Outside at bay for a few minutes.
<snip/>
*crash as door is broken upon and furniture knocked over* Aagghhh, time's up. Hope to see you all again soon...

And, damn, has everyone here been in a movie or written a scientific paper? I haven't done either. :( *feels unsmart/uncool*

All aboard the neither train! I suppose I do know other people who have done one or the other, but all of my cool smart things available to the public are posted on webforums.

*checks "creativity" rankings*

dagnabbit...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:By the way, I'd like to say thanks to whoever it was earlier that recommended 1/0. I finished (OtherBlitzed?) the archives over the last few days, and then proceeded to read the author's current comic (Leftoversoup) from the beginning up to present day last night. I think it's fair to say that I'm a fan of Mr. Tailsteak ;)

I'm gonna take a long shot with edfel and predict an empty building. A small, one-room shed, perhaps, either half destroyed by fire or with the roof caved in. Megan and Cueball will ponder the wreckage for a moment, one of them will notice something, and they'll recover some sort of semi-useful object from the ruins.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri May 24, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:
azule wrote:And, damn, has everyone here been in a movie or written a scientific paper? I haven't done either. :( *feels unsmart/uncool*

All aboard the neither train! I suppose I do know other people who have done one or the other, but all of my cool smart things available to the public are posted on webforums.

*checks "creativity" rankings*

dagnabbit...

Cool! I'm virtually creative as well. All my awesomeness (if I may be so bold) is digital. :(

Edit: "unsmart" digital tailoring.
Last edited by azule on Fri May 24, 2013 9:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 24, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

I'm gonna take a long shot with edfel and predict an empty building. A small, one-room shed, perhaps, either half destroyed by fire or with the roof caved in. Megan and Cueball will ponder the wreckage for a moment, one of them will notice something, and they'll recover some sort of semi-useful object from the ruins.

Don't forget the perplexingly ignorant observation from Cueball.

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 24, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Charter for a quest:

Have any of you wordsmiths thought to capture the special vocabulary of this world on a page? I'd seriously appreciate all of the neologisms in one place. Perhaps it's been done and I missed it. But I miss it in any case.

A dictionary of the OTC (Edit: OTT, actually). For posterity. Think of the children.

Hasn't been done. Someone could crunch up the text of the OTT into space-delimited strings | sort | uniq -u | ... then it gets trickier. The first (horrible, don't do this) solution, merge those with words | sort | uniq -d | ... this gives you all of the neologisms and all of the unused words, so merge with words | sort | uniq -u would remove words appearing twice, the neologisms would remain. And a pile of mispelt words as well. No definitions, no locations. I'm sure I could do better, but I'm on minus time already (and still owe you a note about bread.)

azule -- neither, all of my numbers are "social", I know people with numbers.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 24, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

azule wrote:And, damn, has everyone here been in a movie or written a scientific paper? I haven't done either. :( *feels unsmart/uncool*

"Been in" is a bit strong. But I like being an extra enough that I use my vacation days to do it as often as I can. It's harder work than I expected it to be, but also much more fun than it reasonably should be. I haven't been doing it very long, but if you want you can PM me and I'll tell you what I know about it.
(Can't help with writing a scientific paper, though, sorry.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Don't forget the perplexingly ignorant observation from Cueball.

Actually, I'll play the odds and predict that it's Megan's turn to point out the obvious. Something like, "it looks like it's been abandoned for a while."
Even if we don't encounter an empty structure soon, I will apply this prediction if such a building ever appears.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

Another campONG site
Possibly a bench? Whatever it is, it seems to be next to another fire ring (and this one appears much more organized, and thus more recently used).
I suppose a bench doesn't quite count as a structure. Perhaps we'll see a building soon though, there don't tend to be too many benches that are far away from buildings (those in large parks excluded).
ETA: double post, yes, but for the ONG.
ETA2: I think this is one of my favorite frames, from an aesthetic perspective. The tree looks nice, and the campsite keeps the rest of the frame from being empty.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Fri May 24, 2013 10:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 24, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

Spoiler:
cellocgw wrote:Apologies for going not only OT but outside the True World, but: hey BlitzGirl wanted to make sure you and your family/friends were not near that bridge that collapsed yesterday. That must be leading to some ugly traffic patterns today.

Quite right - I was safe at home, but traffic's gonna be hell for the next few...well weeks, probably. That highway is the biggest road between Seattle and Canada.

ergman wrote:
astrocub wrote:<kersnip>
And on that note, GLR has now purposefully shown us frames in which Megball are not present and the only activity is that of a molpfly/beesnake. This bearsin witness protection program strong resemblance to earlier sandcastle scenes in which the only activity was the rising of the sea. Therefore, I am led to believe that the molpyfli and other critters are not just setting the scene, but have some ulterior significance on par with the Seabig, does what it wants.

I agree. The molpflies have been very frequent, blatant(more so than regular molpies) and deliberate. I feel like they will be important to some extant. Maybe they are molpsquitos, and will bite Cuegan, possibly giving them malaria

Have you noticed the bees disappearing? What d'ya think that's all about?

The odd thing is, the second time I watched series 4, Colony Collapse disorder was a big news story Outside. Made it seem that much more believable

fatness wrote:BONGk

I'm runnin' circles around ya!

HAL9000 wrote:Another campONG site
Possibly a bench? Whatever it is, it seems to be next to another fire ring (and this one appears much more organized, and thus more recently used).
I suppose a bench doesn't quite count as a structure. Perhaps we'll see a building soon though, there don't tend to be too many benches that are far away from buildings (those in large parks excluded).

What, did the Acacia tree not set off any alarum bells? Seems pretty significant to me!

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Fri May 24, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

Spoiler:

ETA2: I think this is one of my favorite frames, from an aesthetic perspective. The tree looks nice, and the campsite keeps the rest of the frame from being empty.

But a bench does count as a structure if it's actually a molpyhut :wink:
And yes, it is a very aesthetically pleasing acacia.

ETA: As a succulentphile, I really hope the next tree they encounter is a Euphorbia candelabrum,
Spoiler:

whose milky sap is poisonous(!!!)
This tree is very beautiful but unfortunately also very poisonous. In fact just one drop of the inner sap can cause a blister. If it touches your eyes it can make you blind and even breathing its fumes can burn.
Last edited by astrocub on Fri May 24, 2013 10:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

Re: HAL9000's buzzkill:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:i don't mean to be rude, but I think we need to stop a moment and ask ourselves: What is this thread about? Inflating our egoes by comparing which one of us can provoke a certain user into responding to our posts the most, or discussing an internet comic that just so happens to change once every hour? Because I'm pretty sure it's not the first one.
We're making the posts themselves more important than the information they contain. That's a good way to get a thread locked and users banned.
I am also somewhat perturbed by the fact that we seem to be making one user more important than all the others. No user should get any special level of attention or priveleges, moderators, webninjas, and others who have been trusted with controlling the forums excepted. A user's first post can be just as insightful as a user's thousandth post. Sometimes less, sometimes more. No non-admin/webmaster user is inherently better than any other.
I'm just a person sitting in front of a screen. So is BlitzGirl, Valarya, tman2nd, Kieryn, Red Hal, Vytron, Opibobble, jetpac, KarMann, Exodies, Tometheus, Selcouth, Ace, davidy, EternalDensity, and everyone else who's ever lurked and posted on this forum (don't worry, I care about you guys too, I just don't feel like listing all of this forum's users). None of us should be treated differently than any other.

But...but...I won! Isn't my winning what this thread is all about?

No?

Do I still get cake?

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:Okay and by popular demand here it is: The BlitzGirl number: http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits

Awesome work!

Although, actually, I'm not surprised at all to see that I have a low BlitzGirl number of 1. I mean, she and I have a pretty close relationship:

1. Besides her presence in the OTT, BlitzGirl also has a blog called "Crash Landing".

2. "Crash Landing" is also the name of a forgotten B movie from 1958 written by Fred Freiberger.

3. Fred Freiberger also co-wrote the screenplay for the 1953 schlock monster movie "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms". In that film, the monster, named a "rhedosaurus", is finally killed at Coney Island when a radioactive isotope is shot into its neck.

4. Inserting radioactive isotopes into the neck has also been done to treat neck and head cancer, and was discussed in a 1966 JAMA paper by Dr. Irving M. Ariel, MD.

5. "Ariel" is also the name of the Sprite who serves Prospero in William Shakespeare's play, "The Tempest".

6. "The Tempest" is also the basis of the story in the 1956 movie, "Forbidden Planet".

7. "Forbidden Planet" features Leslie Nielsen in the role of Commander J.J. Adams.

8. Leslie Nielsen, best known for his roles in "Airplane!" and "The Naked Gun" series, was born February 11, 1926 in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.

9. Regina is the home of the Canadian Football League team, the Saskatchewan Roughriders, who, after eight earlier losing attempts dating back to 1923, won their first Grey Cup championship in 1966.

10. 1966 was also the year that the band Cream released their first album, "Fresh Cream".

11. Cream was a trio consisting of drummer Ginger Baker, bassist Jack Bruce, and guitarist Eric Clapton.

12. Although Eric Clapton mainly played Gibson guitars while in Cream, he is primarily known for playing the Fender Stratocaster, which he switched to in 1969.

13. The Stratocaster is the guitar used in both my avatar and username.

See? BlitzGirl and I are practically brother and sister...

StratPlayer, I think I want to marry you. (Hopefully you're not in high school like HAL9000, since that would be creepy).

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

edfel

Postby edfel » Fri May 24, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

astrocub wrote:
<snip>

But a bench does count as a structure if it's actually a molpyhut :wink:
And yes, it is a very aesthetically pleasing acacia.

Agreed, it is a peaceful place to reach after a long walk through dunes, wow trees and vines... I don't know about them but I could live here.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:30 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Do I still get cake?

We all get cake.
Spoiler:

On a different note, does it seem to anyone else that the ground Cueball and Megan are currently walking on/about to walk over is unnaturally flat? The patch of ground immediately in front of Cueball (he's in the act of stepping onto it) drops off on the other side at a rather sharp angle (would be a perfect 90º drop if it weren't for a slightly-off-from-black pixel at the apex of the corner), and the two small grassless patches near/underneath them are about as level as the sea was back when they were building sandcastles (solid black, with a single row of grayish pixels across all or almost all of the top).
ETA: I'd post an ENHANCE'd version of the part of the frame in question, but the most advanced image-editing software I have is Microsoft Word.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Fri May 24, 2013 10:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Fri May 24, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

I have written a scientific paper. . .in fact several, as part of the research I did in graduate school. I also hold a patent.

I have not been in a movie, but I could have been. My son was working as an extra for a movie that was being filmed in the town where I live, so I ended up hanging around the movie set for the week that he was working. Since I was quiet and polite, the camera crew allowed me to stand behind them while they were filming, and they got used to me being there.

The movie was set at an American high school. For a scene that took place between classes, they decided they could use a few more extras. They invited me to serve as a teacher walking across campus, but I wasn't dressed like a teacher, and didn't feel like driving all the way home to change clothes, so I declined.

My car was in the movie, though! For a scene where all of the main characters were headed for the school buses at the end of the day, they wanted the parking lot to be full, so they asked me if I could move my car to help fill up the parking lot. They even put a fake cardboard license plate on it to make sure it looked like it came from the correct state!
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 24, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:On a different note, does it seem to anyone else that the ground Cueball and Megan are currently walking on/about to walk over is unnaturally flat? The patch of ground immediately in front of Cueball (he's in the act of stepping onto it) drops off on the other side at a rather sharp angle (would be a perfect 90º drop if it weren't for a slightly-off-from-black pixel at the apex of the corner), and the two small grassless patches near/underneath them are about as level as the sea was back when they were building sandcastles (solid black, with a single row of grayish pixels across all or almost all of the top).

Looks like an overgrown parking lot/road when you put it that way...

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 24, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

astrocub wrote:And yes, it is a very aesthetically pleasing acacia.

I'm not convinced. These look different to me – more umbrelly, if that's a word.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

I'm not convinced. These look different to me – more umbrelly, if that's a word.

That's true, it's not quite wide or flat enough to definitely be an acacia. It's not nearly dense enough to fit the description of most North American trees, though. Our deciduous trees are rather hard to see through from one side to the other.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 24, 2013 10:42 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:

That's true, it's not quite wide or flat enough to definitely be an acacia. It's not nearly dense enough to fit the description of most North American trees, though. Our deciduous trees are rather hard to see through from one side to the other.

Depends on the dimension of the tree though. At 2.5D it would be easy enough to see through.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Fri May 24, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Hmm, you're correct that it doesn't look the typical umbrella acacia, Acacia tortilis, but the acacia genus encompasses a very diverse range of shapes and wattles.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 24, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:

There's over 1300 species of Acacia tree. The one most people recognize would probably be A. tortilis or A. eriobla (upon quick wikipedia browsing - there's 1300 species, I can't be bothered to check every article! And everyone else refers to the stereotypical ones as just plain ol' "Acacia trees."). There's a huge range of physiology (is that the word we use for plants?) within the genus, but it seems like the tree in this frame would fit in pretty snugly.

ETA: Astrocub ninja'd me (I was doing research, honest!) But my post was slightly more detailed... :P

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Fri May 24, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

Or at least more wordy :P

ETA: I really love how nerdy this place can get on just about any esoteric subject.
I hope they start stargazing soon...

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Fri May 24, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

astrocub wrote:Or at least more wordy :P

ETA: I really love how nerdy this place can get on just about any esoteric subject.
I hope they start stargazing soon...

We'd be doing so much sub-pixel analysis. That would be so cool. Bring it, Randall.

Some Ways to Time

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 24, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:

There's over 1300 species of Acacia tree. The one most people recognize would probably be A. tortilis or A. eriobla (upon quick wikipedia browsing - there's 1300 species, I can't be bothered to check every article! And everyone else refers to the stereotypical ones as just plain ol' "Acacia trees."). There's a huge range of physiology (is that the word we use for plants?) within the genus, but it seems like the tree in this frame would fit in pretty snugly.

ETA: Astrocub ninja'd me (I was doing research, honest!) But my post was slightly more detailed... :P

I'll take your words for it. I don't know nuthin' 'bout Acadias. :)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

edo

Postby edo » Fri May 24, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

CONGREGATE Image
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 24, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:

I don't either, really. I'm just a quick-draw wikipediaer! :lol:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 24, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Not gonna comment on the tree, Megball? I suppose maybe trees are old news now after the WOW baobabs.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Fri May 24, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:

I don't either, really. I'm just a quick-draw wikipediaer! :lol:

So that's how you do your connections. The world is crumbling before my eyes.
I'm still brain-blown by the fact that you managed to connect dracomax to himself! :D

ETA: Right, time for me to coma when I'm getting time dragons and guitar raptors mixed up. :oops:
Last edited by astrocub on Fri May 24, 2013 11:12 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 24, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

That was StratPlayer...

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Fri May 24, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

Qalyar wrote:So, I decided to jump into the poetry challenges, as penance for my limited interactions with the OTT. Naturally, of course, such jumping occurred in the deep end.
Spoiler:
I think this is a form-accurate double dactyl in which each line is an anagram of the corresponding line of the opposite stanza. My goal was, in 44 slightly tortured syllables, to tell the story of the OTC's command to us, from the days when we thought this was a story about sandcastles to our fear of the distant future ... and then, in anagram, to condemn those who have walked away.

Higgledy-piggledy!
Clay-lairs Architect
told us to "Wait for it."
Steady, the lad!

Gilded-hype, giggly
(characteristically)
twit -- oft idolatrous --
halted, yet sad.

*agog again* Well, I owe a tribute, at least in the paltry form of a single anagram pair:
Damn. Holy crap. All / clap. Oh. My. Randall.

Bravo, Qalyar. (I would have worked your name into the tribute, but I didn't have time to fight with the Q.)

I'm off for the week wipend. I will not get to write a verse of Jabberwocky-Walky before I go. I'll be excited to see if it's done before I get back.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Fri May 24, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

astrocub wrote:I'm still brain-blown by the fact that you managed to connect dracomax to himself! :D [/s]
ETA: Right, time for me to coma when I'm getting time dragons and guitar raptors mixed up. :oops:

Just watch out for the time raptors. Guitar dragons are cool though.

Some Ways to Time

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 24, 2013 11:25 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
astrocub wrote:I'm still brain-blown by the fact that you managed to connect dracomax to himself! :D [/s]

Just watch out for the time raptors. Guitar dragons are cool though.

Damn. Google images has some cool results for "guitar dragon".

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 24, 2013 11:29 pm UTC

Well I don't know about guitar raptors, but guitar dinosaurs generally... Finnish children's heavy metal dinosaurs, no less...

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Fri May 24, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Eliram wrote:These trees remind me of "Below the Root".
http://www.mobygames.com/game/below-the-root/screenshots

That's it! That is the game!

I wake from a coma to have my morning ketchup, only to find, to my disappointment, that what, perhaps, was another interesting moment in Time was just another passing observation. I had no much to say when I see this, and oh! Glorious! For when I was very young I played that came so often but never understood what I was to do. But playing it was wonderful, nonetheless. I even remember clearly the cover box -- except never the title! I could not remember its name but now I know. And now I know that it based on a book series, which I must find and read. Thank you Eliram! :mrgreen:

Such a pleasure to hear this from someone else who played this weird, yet so much fun game. It didn't matter if you did anything right or wrong, you could simple EXPLORE a huge world of trees and roots, huts and other people who talked to you.
It was so rare in these days, so ahead of its time.
It's about time.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 24, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

Have we identified a Madagascarian (?) bird that would match our earlier birds? Do any of these work?

azule wrote:
<snip/>

I have never been published in a scientific magazine, nor have I ever been in a film. Any Erdős number I have would be by proxy, via my dad (who published with Roger Penrose. I met him when I was 8. He showed me some of his duck tiles and a 3-d plexiglass-ish version of his triangle. It was way cool.).

ETA: more penrose details.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri May 24, 2013 11:50 pm UTC

htom wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Charter for a quest:

Have any of you wordsmiths thought to capture the special vocabulary of this world on a page? I'd seriously appreciate all of the neologisms in one place. Perhaps it's been done and I missed it. But I miss it in any case.

A dictionary of the OTC (Edit: OTT, actually). For posterity. Think of the children.

Hasn't been done. Someone could crunch up the text of the OTT into space-delimited strings | sort | uniq -u | ... then it gets trickier. The first (horrible, don't do this) solution, merge those with words | sort | uniq -d | ... this gives you all of the neologisms and all of the unused words, so merge with words | sort | uniq -u would remove words appearing twice, the neologisms would remain. And a pile of mispelt words as well. No definitions, no locations. I'm sure I could do better, but I'm on minus time already (and still owe you a note about bread.)

azule -- neither, all of my numbers are "social", I know people with numbers.

The work I've done is in this direction. It would not take me much effort to produce such a list. I'm very experienced with this kind of filtering and clustering. Definitions would be trickier, but I can easily pull the references in the forum and show context for each word. I aim to create this by [heresey]Monday night[/heresey].

ETA: A link to the past.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri May 24, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:I have never been published in a scientific magazine, nor have I ever been in a film. Any Erdős number I have would be by proxy, via my dad (who published with Roger Penrose. I met him when I was 8. He showed me some of his duck tiles and a 3-d plexiglass-ish version of his triangle. It was way cool.).

ETA: more penrose details.[/quote]

Penrose is Erdős 3, so your dad is a 4. You, however, are a digital Milliner. Revel in that.
http://www.oakland.edu/enp/erdpaths/

Is Milliner your outside persona? Or an alter-ego. I'm actually a curmudgeon both here and outside. :twisted:
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”