1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Exodies

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 5:28 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:*drags furniture in front of the door* There, that should keep the Outside at bay for a few minutes. I keep drifting further and further behind because of those damn heretics out there! But here's some stuff. The first few things are for StratPlayer:
StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:But is glaring with intent the same as glaring intentionally?

Only if your name is Aqualung. Ooops, that was *staring* .

Actually, it was "eyeing."
And thanks, I never knew that semantic satiation was an actual thing, with a name and everything.
StratPlayer wrote:[EDIT to add: Hey! Wow -- 700th post!!! And at the top of the NewPage!
But it says that was post 713 for you. Not to rain on your parade or anything.

Great poetry from Rule110 and taixzo! And some profundity from mathrec:
Spoiler:
mathrec wrote:I think the Inquisition has done a great service to the civility of our forum. It is the perfect kind of Inquistion: actively engaged, supported by the community, and inept ineffective. The recognized punishments of the Inquisition give the suggestion of being pleasant, then fall disappointingly short.

So steaks smell really good when you're cooking them (apologies to our vegans), but when the Inquisitor doesn't stop, the heretic gets a charred, barely edible steak after enduring the promise of something savory.

It's a fitting mock punishment for mock heresy. We joke about the Inquisition for mock offenses (since we have enough sects to guarantee that any dogmatic assertion is heretical to someone). But it sets the tone for how we keep each other in line. When we have real transgressions (that threaten the civility of the forum), then we've already set the right tone. We're used to taking lighthearted threats from each other when we violate our mock forum conventions, so we've been responding well to lighthearted (but serious) suggestions to stay away from actual mockery or flame wars.
One of the most insightful things I've read on the OTT (as opposed to some of the inciteful ones...)
Rule110 wrote:
mscha wrote:I h
Spoiler:
ate to have to a
sk
Spoiler:
(again), but can y'all please consid
er c
Spoiler:
utting down or spoi
l
Spoiler:
ering part of the quote, if you r
epl
Spoiler:
y with a single line to a long post
?

I do agree with mscha that it's good to spoiler long quotes, but this cracked me up. And I can't spoiler it, since we can't nest spoilers.
I just want to say, hi, macraw! Always nice to hear from you!
Re: buffygirl and baobabs:
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:AND - I assert my assertion on NP 688 regarding whether or not they are baobab trees is worth noting! (feeling a little overlooked).

Since you've mentioned it, others have probably commented on it. I've been sure all along they were baobabs, and didn't really think it was controversial. But I do think you have found the Tree of Inspiration, or the One True Tree, whatever you want to call it, that was the model for GLR. Where was that tree from, anyway? (If this has already been answered, never mind, I'll find it eventually.) But nice work!

*sound of pounding on the door* Eek, better hurry up...
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:I thought this quote from that article was interesting: "The use of baobab trunks to support arcane inscriptions is common throughout Senegambia. Such trees are known generically in Wolof as guy mbind (baobab of writing)..." I think that quote, and the relevance to XonqNopp's username, are excellent evidence for Senegal.

Except that they're the wrong kind of Baobab tree. The OTC ones are definitely Grandidier's, which are only native to Madagascar.
The African Baobab looks very different.

Hmmm, suppose you're right. Sorry, XonqNopp! And of course, mscha, I think your Madagascar image is all the proof we need, I think, that Cuegan are in Madagascar.

I knew about the Bacon number, but not the Erdős number. I published a scientific paper, but I'm pretty sure none of my co-authors had an Erdős number. I wonder if I have a Bacon Number. I was in a local zombie movie, and my sister was an extra in one of the Batman movies. I'll have to check it out. OK, turns out that two of the peopl in that movie had a Bacon score of 3, so I guess I'm a 4!

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:

Okay and by popular demand here it is: The BlitzGirl number: http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits

The credits table is also now sortable (thanks mscha!. Also you and newpixbot would now be in first place together.)
Quick note on the BG number: If you are never quoted by BG either directly or in a chain, you simply do not have a BG number. If you are directly quoted, your BG is 1. A high BG number means you get quoted down a long chain, which ultimately gets quoted by BG. A high BG number is therefore the rarer case and could be thought of as more prestigious. (Edit: Well done lmjb1964!)]

Yay!! I win!! Do I get cake? Also, I see that we've heard from BlitzGirl. Whew! I was getting worried...

ergman wrote:Alright. I did a Sestina. It wasn't easy, but damn if if was fun. I went for the 11 syllables per line rule as well, though apparently that isn't mandatory. Suffice to say I did a lot of counting on my fingers:
Spoiler:
In Time we heed certain creeds: the sea is big
Revealed by our prophets: the river is small
Cuegan's brief rare dialogues: the tree is neat
Recorded, hid in footnotes: the fire is old
Mystic exposition: empty, beautiful
And of course lord Randall's own words: wait for it

When I first stumbled all alone into It
A panel as per thrice a week, nothing big
Two folk on a beach, so zen and beautiful
Left it alone thinking it something small
Returned later and saw not panel of old
An oh so slow changing image, I thought 'Neat'

Curious about the rules of all things neat
I wiki'd and found a religion 'bout it
In needle pulled form, 400 pages old
I feared to blitz, for time was scarce, pages big
I joined in, threw in my voice, though it is small
I could not bypass something so beautiful

I Learned the terms, the mad tongue so beautiful
I met the folk so kind, funny and neat
Hunted for the molpy, secretive and small
The varied creation pile, I fed some to it
Speculated heresy, theories big
For food I gave sorbet to replace the old

If time ended I could not go back to the old
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful
I can't undrink from the salty sea so big
I forever shall regard the trees as neat
There's double meaning when I say wait for it
The man I was pre-OTT was someone small

Outside now throws my way many matters small
Narnia style, will I one day grow too old?
Ok, that worry's senseless, do it ignore it
Have faith that OTC's forever beautiful
Believe in GLR, science-god so neat
He knows what he's doing like the trees so big

~It needs small words , sestina the beautiful
I'm a whole six stanzas old, and its still neat
Though I'm tired of it's 39 lines; so big~

Well, there you have it. Very melodramatic, as many poems are. Coma time for me now. Have fun

Oh. My. God. That was absolutely beautiful. I got a little choked up.

Eternal Density wrote:Hmm, lmjb1964 is an interesting outlier on the data page. Or is that an error?

Probably not the first time I've been called an interesting outlier.

Valarya, that spinning chocolate joy video was cool! I want one.

And kenmelken, molpies should definitely be in the Wiki. Someone should definitely do that. *looks around for volunteers* Well, maybe by the time I reach the future, someone will have stepped up.

*sound of door starting to split open* Ok, don't have long now...

Vytron nicely summed up some of my thoughts about the OTT:
Spoiler:
Vytron wrote:The reason is the thread goes something like this:

Something great is posted.

It's overlooked.

Not mentioned still.

Oh, there it is, appreciation by a blitzer (coma-blitzer, treker or ketchuper)!

It seems people of the present are more interested about what is going on now, and there's some kind of rush feeling to read up to the last page of the thread, while True Pilgrims of Time don't, and they have all the time in the world to read every post carefully and appreciate it (so, after I catch up to the 45 pages that I skipped, I'll read again the pages from 670 onwards again, from the blitzer perspective - I'm sure I missed something I read because of the rush! :mrgreen: - read but not appreciated by me, the "regurgitation" helps with that).)
higgs-boson came up with the most amazing footnotes I've ever seen. And it made me finally look up "interrobang."
higgs-boson wrote:"Hey, let us play FootNoteMemory!"
"Wow, I like that!?"H2SO4
"You certainly would! The rules are very easy to understand!"C55H70O6N4Mg
"He, sweeeeeet!C6H12O6 ... ehr, what Do you mean, very easy?"
"First of all you create a lot of foot notes. Then you mix them. ..."C6760H10447N1743O2010S32
"... and the reader forgets the foot note number before he had scrolled down!
"Eeeeexactly!"
"Hey, I already did that. It's called 'Ph.D Thesis'."
"d'oh.C16H13ClN2OSo raise the difficulty and rephrase!"
"Did I mention that there's indeed a kind of 'memory' game based on associations?"
"No. And now shut up."H2O

sulphuric acidIf I only had an interrobang at hand...
beautiful woman, dead if overdosedBonus question - where did that quote come from?
beautiful woman of the 21st century, dead if overdosedMeaning that the foot notes aren't sorted.
chlorophyll fNothing is ever easy.C17H23NO3
GlucoseThis is a self-referenced footnote.
aqua dest.Please.
sleepy thingieComa time!
*crash as door is broken upon and furniture knocked over* Aagghhh, time's up. Hope to see you all again soon...

Will you look at that mess? This is the result of the site bullies bullying. If he had only done the sensible thing and made one post per point I could have replied to the one point I was inspired by (the quoted bit of Vytron) without a lot of snipping and spoilering with all its attendant bringing down the Internet due to unmatched tags. And another thing. Information folding is never a good idea. Keep spoilers for when you're really in danger of spoiling something for someone. If scrolling is a problem for you that doesn't mean you should order everyone else to shrink their stuff - get a touch pad; scrolling will become fun.
While I'm on the blower, I've reduced all y'all's "knows Turing" number to 3 - you can now tell your friends that you know someone who knows someone who knew Alan Turing. If that's how these numbers work. They may be base 1 instead.

EDIT dunno why, I removed a closing quote and a matched pair of spoilers but didn't find the real problem.
Last edited by Exodies on Sat May 25, 2013 7:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Sat May 25, 2013 5:30 am UTC

I'm expecting dialogue in the next newpix or two. Maybe Meagan will describe the structure as neat? I would stay up and find out, but I have a brother graduating early in the morning, so I'm afraid I must coma.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 25, 2013 5:39 am UTC

Finally caught up again. So many wonderful things to comment on, but did I take notes? noooo. Sorry. :(

I do remember my dumb question though, 'cuz it's been bothering me since molpies arrived on the scene: do we know what size the OTA works at? The various molpies look to me like they were drawn well, before being downrezzed to a pixel or two. I wonder if we'll ever ever get to see them, maybe as a print in the OTS.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 5:55 am UTC

azule wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:*drags furniture in front of the door* There, that should keep the Outside at bay for a few minutes.
<snip/>
*crash as door is broken upon and furniture knocked over* Aagghhh, time's up. Hope to see you all again soon...

Very dramatic, me likes. It actually worried me a bit. I hope you're okay. :P

And, damn, has everyone here been in a movie or written a scientific paper? I haven't done either. :( *feels unsmart/uncool*

Cheer up, azule. Writing a scientific paper is merely a chore some people have to do to keep their job. Being in a movie means that you have the patience to hang around for days doing nothing.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 25, 2013 5:57 am UTC

Congratulations kenmelken! May you two be happy together, for all Time, and for all of time.

Exodies wrote:If he had only done the sensible thing and made one post per point I could have replied to the one point I was inspired by (the quoted bit of Vytron) without a lot of snipping and spoilering with all its attendant bringing down the Internet due to unmatched tags.
You can do that pretty easily. Just don't reply by hitting the QUOTE button. Instead, reply by hitting the POST REPLY button at the bottom of the page, and then scroll (or search) to the post in question (in the "Topic Review" below the input box), select the text there, and hit that QUOTE button. Alas, a quote tree is not preserved, but if you are just replying to one little point, that shouldn't matter.

You can use the browser menu (i.e. Edit...Find, depending on browser) to search for text once you've gotten to the input box and are ready to quote; that can bring you right to the post in question without having to scroll to find it.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 6:01 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Another campONG site
Possibly a bench? Whatever it is, it seems to be next to another fire ring (and this one appears much more organized, and thus more recently used).
I suppose a bench doesn't quite count as a structure. Perhaps we'll see a building soon though, there don't tend to be too many benches that are far away from buildings (those in large parks excluded).
ETA: double post, yes, but for the ONG.
ETA2: I think this is one of my favorite frames, from an aesthetic perspective. The tree looks nice, and the campsite keeps the rest of the frame from being empty.

A bit prosaic, HAL9000 - a bench? Surely a molpy observation platform.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat May 25, 2013 6:04 am UTC

NOTHINGTOSEEHEREJUSTMOVEALONG

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sat May 25, 2013 6:11 am UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:
ucim wrote:[close-up on the treetrunk] where Vytron is carving the words:
"Vytron was here."

Aha! We now know what the markings on the tree are!

Spoiler:

That made me smile! ¦-)

Valarya: Welcome back! Probably you'll find this message placement weird on here, but I think you will had been back to read it, so it stands! :mrgreen:

azule wrote:And, damn, has everyone here been in a movie or written a scientific paper? I haven't done either. :( *feels unsmart/uncool*

What? You're comparing yourself to some Outsiders? They don't exist! And I don't think that stuff is related to smartness or coolness, waiting with us is more important! :)

Congrats on the engagement kenmelken!

I give them [heresy]2 weeks[/heresy].

*shot*

To get married! To get married! Man...

Note: Whoa! I totally selected the text and moved the mouse to look for the heresy tag button when there is none, like the bold tag button or the i tag button, I've officially been changed fundamentally by time.

Kieryn wrote:Also:
For now, BlitzGirl numbers have been replaced with Karmann numbers. We miss you Karmann!

And we have a winner! drewhannay is the outlier with a Karmann number of 13 :)

Have not posted for 6 weeks D:, but I'll still have avocado ice cream ready for when xey passes this page:

Spoiler:

For everyone!

I also like to jump in the bandwagon of thanking mscha for his great animations! I truly don't appreciate an event right until I see them in those animations. I even have to admit I'd have not noticed the molpyflii* by myself.

* AKA molpyfli

Exodies wrote:Will you look at that mess? This is the result of the site bullies bullying. If he had only done the sensible thing and made one post per point I could have replied to the one point I was inspired by (the quoted bit of Vytron) without a lot of snipping and spoilering with all its attendant bringing down the Internet due to unmatched tags. And another thing. Information folding is never a good idea. Keep spoilers for when you're really in danger of spoiling something for someone. If scrolling is a problem for you that doesn't mean you should order everyone else to shrink their stuff - get a touch pad; scrolling will become fun.

Oh yeah... I have to say that for readers of everything* I'd rather have everything unspoiled (without spoilers), if there's a reason I couldn't advance more to the present was the time used clicking every single spoiler button that I found. BUT I don't want to become a site bully, heh, if you enjoy putting spoilers in your messages, then, keep doing it! I'll love clicking on them as much as I enjoy reading them and scrolling through them all the same, but spoil things because you want, not to help the skimmers skip stuff :wink: - "so I can see if the content of the spoiler is worth clicking" doesn't sound like a good reason to have spoilers on the thread to me -

Oh, wait, you were talking about one post per point?! Whoa! Radical idea, I, hum, would that be desirable? Tons of mini-posts instead of a huge one? Well, that'd have been great to do yesterday that I missed a long post (to page refresh); if instead, I made one post per point I'd only have lost the very last one. I'll consider it but I'd not want to annoy too many people :mrgreen:

*still on it! still on it!

ggh wrote:Finally caught up again. So many wonderful things to comment on, but did I take notes? noooo. Sorry. :(

Post them as you find them on the thread (one blindpost per point!), at least it'd be Exodies & Vytron approved*! :)

*Yeah, I'd totally get behind pushing in favor of it, as long as people'd like to do it :wink:

Finally, my humble suggestion for calling a group of molpies: A molpimolpy (a group of groups would then be a molpimolpii/molpimolpi/molpimolpies, and a group of molpimolpii would be a molpimolpimolpy, so we can escalate without problems!).
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 25, 2013 6:16 am UTC

Vytron wrote:Have not posted for 6 weeks D:, but I'll still have avocado ice cream ready for when xey passes this page:
You sure that's avocado ice cream, and not wasabi ice cream?
Spell checker wants to change "wasabi" to "wassail"... which would probably make awesome ice cream!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 25, 2013 6:19 am UTC

The Case of the Little River
Or, Une Petite Noire

Chapter 1 - The Case
Chapter 2 - The River
Chapter 3 - The Break

My rusty ol' junker pulled up next to the house that my client had said was her abode, but it didn't look like no one was home. I parked it on the street and got out, and stopped. The air smelled like the sea, but not quite - sort of...big...and with a hint of dark black coffee - it's hard to describe, but my shnoz was goin haywire. I sniffed my snuffer again and it was gone as quickly as it'd come. Not the strangest thing that'd happened since I took this case, anyway. I strolled over to the front door, a wide, wooden door made from some exotic wood, barring the way like a bouncer at a cheap bar. I was just about to hammer on the door when it swung open, nearly mashing my face for the second time that day.

"Whaddaya want," a gruff voice said from within. It was dark inside, so I couldn't quite make out the shtick who was talking.

"I'm here about a little French girl. Is your lady, what's-er-name, here?" I asked, realizing to my chagrin that I didn't even know the name of my client. Not easy to get paid when you can't track down the pocketbook you're nippin' from.

"She ain't my lady. An' she's not here. An' finally, You best not be stickin yer nose into other people's business, unnerstand?" He boomed. As he slammed the door, I caught a glimpse of the mug behind his glaring peepers. He had a hard look about him despite his peculiarly rounded head, and his naked scalp was as shiny as the barrel of my Colt .38. In fact, he kinda reminded me of a billiard ball, but I wasn't gonna say that to his face.

Not to be discouraged by a little setback, I took a gander around the house, all casual-like. As I peered in one of the windows I saw the first piece of good news since I'd taken this case. Hanging on a hat rack with a host of other strange headgarments was a small black beret, exactly matching the description my curious client had given me. So the guy with the cue ball head did know somethin'. A little more than somethin', from the looks of it. And on top of that, it seemed my client hadn't given me the whole scoop. I needed more to go on before I could get anyone to squeal, though. Heck, for all I knew she could be their daughter and she'd gone missing, though I was pretty sure the capricious client would have mentioned that.

I resolved to stick around and try to get inside. I got in my car and drove just beyond the corner, so I still had a line of sight with the house but was hidden all inconspicuous-like. I propped my feet up on the dash, unfolded my newspaper, and began my stakeout.

It was a helluva long time before anything interesting happened. I watched some beaky birds wander around in the field nearby, and occupied myself for a while with some odd-looking flies buzzin' around my car. I also took a brief nap, but you won't hear me mentionin' that to no one else. Finally, after an eternity of waiting, I saw the cueball guy shuffle out of the house, look around suspiciously, and then lock the door behind him. He then went back around behind his house somewhere, presumably a back route to the nearest bar. I took the locked front door to mean he was gonna be out for a while, and grabbed my chance.

I sauntered up all sneaky-like to the side of the house and found a window that was unlocked. I jimmied it open and slipped in, with some effort. My coat goat all askew and my hat fell off, but I recovered it and look around. I was in some sort of office, with a desk made from that same exotic wood in the corner and some pages and needlework on it. I skimmed it but didn't see anything pertinent to the case, just the ramblings of a madman. I tiptoed onwards.

It wasn't a big place, so it didn't take me long to find the coat rack again. I snagged the beret and looked in the liner. It seemed to be from the local haberdasher, which I took note of, but there was a little note inside. A scrap of paper, with the words "Pour la petite," on it. Who was giving the little one a hat wasn't clear, but I pocketed the note for later analysis. I carefully put the hat back on the rack and glanced over the others. Some were a bit extravagant but nothing else seemed suspicious.

Satisfied, I went back through the house to the office. As I was slipping back through the window, I heard the front door creak open. I panicked, and tore my coat on the edge of the window. In such a rush to get it closed I didn't notice that a scrap of fabric had been left behind, and slammed the window as quietly as possible. I raced - nonchalantly, that is - back to my car and drove off in a hurry, before anyone could call in the coppers.

-----

It's still friday night here! Heh. Got in just in time. Also, someone reaaaly needs to go fix that spoiler that's messing up the page...

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Sat May 25, 2013 6:25 am UTC

Whizbang wrote:Maybe this has already been said (I tend to skim, sorry), but the molpyflies/bee-snakes might actually be flying pocket watches...

(blindposting from 704 ish...)

In a moment of Divine Revelation it has come to me.
These are not snakes, nor are they locusts.
They are Time Flies.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 6:35 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:Kay. I just finished ketchuping, and now need to go again (I'm suddenly busier on the [heresy] Outside [/heresy] because I'm ENGAGED!!!), but before I leave, I want to bring up a duty we've been neglecting, namely, the upkeep of the Wiki (OTW) and the delineation of periods. That last official "period" agreed upon was "Cueball's Quest," and since then we've had at least another journey period, a wow boabab period, and a vineyard period. I'm sure some you smarties can break those down exactly into where they land by newpix numbers.

However, while we're on the topic of how we break down eons, eras, and periods, I'd like to suggest a bit of a radical proposal, namely, the breaking down of what is currently known as the "Journey Era" (already within the same-titled "Journey Eon1") into smaller eras. In the Sandcastle Eon, there were 5 eras, the longest comprised of 296 newpix. So far, this "Journey Era" has been comprised of over 600, even though there are some very clear larger transition points. For example, the first 3 periods they are walking along the sea shore, then the next four alongside the river, then they branch off into the hills and forests for a time. That wonderful map actually shows in brilliant visualization where some natural dividing points for these eras might be, all of them within the larger scope of the Journey EON.

Well, like I said, I need to go again. But, uh... talk about that and hopefully you brilliant folk can come to some conclusions on the matter.

Also, I think because it is a harder verse to adapt, nobody has enough guts to adapt that fourth Jabber-stanza. Someone needs to be brave.

Peace.

P.S. I've been in a movie and written 2 major papers, one scientific, one historical.

1EDIT: when I first published I mistyped "epoch" instead of eon.

I won't ask if you're gay; I've learned my lesson and don't want to provoke another biggoted rant.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 6:38 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Meet the new ONG
Same as the old ONG
(not really)

We won't get fooled again.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 6:50 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Kieryn wrote:BrokONG Structures
Spoiler:

The melancholy remnants of a noble trebuchet....

Or a burning at the stake bonfire

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Sat May 25, 2013 7:02 am UTC

Kneeling down ONG the ground to get a better look at that wood.

So... I'm back!

mscha, HAL9000, htom, Dracomax, buffygirl, Kieryn, k.bookbinder, ucim, & Vytron:

Thanks for the congrats and well wishes (I especially loved the ONG). :) Btw, while she may not be here on the OTT, my fiancee does love the OTC and has, like me, been following it from the beginning.

(And Exodies: sad that merely asking would provoke bigoted rants. =/ Certainly no offense here. But incidentally, I'm male, my fiancee is female.)

Regarding Jabberwocky:

Spoiler:
[quote=Platonix]All right, since no one else is doing this (now watch someone ninja me):

And as in thinking Megan lay,
The Cueball stood, with stomach keen,
Sought berries for a snack that day,
And found a camping scene!

Or, if you'd rather stick to the pace of the original Jabberwocky, which means the climactic encounter...

And as in thought they let Time pass,
The MolpyRabtor, bird-and-hare,
Came hopping/flying through the grass,
And screeched to see them there![/quote]

Platonix! Well done! I like them both. Personally, I think that the first one you've proposed matches better with my alternate (and declared non-canonical) version of the 2nd stanza, while your second version here fits with the accepted StratPlayer 2nd stanza, and, as you say, it also matches the energy and theme of the original quite well. I therefore move that your second proposal be canonized into the Jabberwocky parody, while your first joins my alternate 2nd stanza in exile.
We now need an author of the 5th stanza. For reference, the original is as follows:
One, two! One, two! and through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

Regarding the ongoing debate over the cancer of molpy collective noun suggestions:

lmjb1964 wrote:I like the sound of a WHOMP of molpies, but pancreas is pretty silly and so probably gets my vote. If we're still voting.

Hooray for continuing to keep the pancreas coalition alive! Keep fighting the good fight.

Finally, regarding the division of periods and eras I mentioned earlier:
Perhaps I distracted too much from my own topic there by announcing my engagement. :P But did anyone have any thoughts? I'm happy to update the Wiki myself if there are no objections to dividing the latest periods out into (following the 6th journey period the Wiki currently concludes with):
*The Second River Period
*The 7th Journey Period
*The "Wow" Baobab Period
*The Vineyard Period
*(Current, unnamed period, which will probably define itself shortly)
How does that sound to everyone? Any objections or adjustments? I will look up more exactly the proposed begin and end newpix for each of these.
Also, what about the idea of breaking down the Journey Era into smaller eras instead as mentioned earlier?

Sorry for another long post!

Oh, and by the way, I actually have a Karmann Number! He quoted one of my more reflective posts back in my early active period before I fell silent for many Newpix and lurked.
Last edited by kenmelken on Sat May 25, 2013 7:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sat May 25, 2013 7:05 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:Kneeling down ONG the ground to get a better look at that wood.

That's what she said...

My apologies.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat May 25, 2013 7:08 am UTC

ucim wrote:Spell checker wants to change "wasabi" to "wassail"... which would probably make awesome ice cream!

Not sure about it, so here's some wassail ice cream!

@ChronosDragon: 8-) Looking forward to the next chapter!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 7:12 am UTC

ucim wrote:Congratulations kenmelken! May you two be happy together, for all Time, and for all of time.

Exodies wrote:If he had only done the sensible thing and made one post per point I could have replied to the one point I was inspired by (the quoted bit of Vytron) without a lot of snipping and spoilering with all its attendant bringing down the Internet due to unmatched tags.
You can do that pretty easily. Just don't reply by hitting the QUOTE button. Instead, reply by hitting the POST REPLY button at the bottom of the page, and then scroll (or search) to the post in question (in the "Topic Review" below the input box), select the text there, and hit that QUOTE button. Alas, a quote tree is not preserved, but if you are just replying to one little point, that shouldn't matter.

You can use the browser menu (i.e. Edit...Find, depending on browser) to search for text once you've gotten to the input box and are ready to quote; that can bring you right to the post in question without having to scroll to find it.

Jose

Thanks for this handy tip. Now I must start up my big computer and try to sort out the ] problem above.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sat May 25, 2013 7:14 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:What doesn't fit this theory is LaPetite, who appears at the sand castles at different times without apparent aging. We could surmise that by the time of LaPetite's first appearance Megan and Cueball had stopped having fun and were therefore back to experiencing normal time, but the sea was still visibly rising between LaPetite's appearances so it doesn't fit. LaPetite could have been off having fun herself, but that's forcing the issue out of the range of being an elegant theory.

Well, LaPetite of the fading is not necessarily the same individual as the first one. Like the Phantom, there could be a dynasty of LaPetites, where the firstborne daughter, at the age of 12, will swear the family oath, start wearing the white beret and go out and fight crime in stealthy ways.

Forcing the issue? Who, me? (I am just fascinated by these secret organisations, like the Phantom dynasty and the Knight Temporals, that can maintain their goals over centuries without schisms.)
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Sat May 25, 2013 7:25 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:Kay. I just finished ketchuping, and now need to go again (I'm suddenly busier on the [heresy] Outside [/heresy] because I'm ENGAGED!!!),...

Finally someone present knowing the forum's Rite Of AshkEnte? One'd like to summon up an admin and ask to provide [heresy]heresy-bbcode-markups[/heresy]? :)

Oh, and Congratulations, kenmelken. May you live in interesting times.
(for relationsships this is not a curse, but a blessing)
Last edited by higgs-boson on Sat May 25, 2013 7:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat May 25, 2013 7:26 am UTC

This is a script (bookmarklet) for Sciscitor's wonderful Quote Constellation. Of course, this only works with the SVG.

Description: Click on nodes (or names) and arrowed connection will be minimized to just those of that person. Click another person and the same for them. Click the same person and all connections are restored. It is a large file with hundreds of nodes, so it does take a bit to refresh. Your system may vary.

This is a screenshot (zoomed in) of the script in use with my node. You could almost play a game clicking from person to person finding where the connections end.
ott.png
An example using the script.

Hope y'all know how to use this:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

javascript:var%20ottUser,svg=document.documentElement,style1,clickTxt='\n\t\t#nodes%20circle,#node-labels-outline%20text,#node-labels%20text{cursor:pointer;}\n',showOnly=function(oU){if(ottUser==oU){style1.textContent=clickTxt+'\t';}else{ottUser=oU;style1.textContent=clickTxt+'\t\t#edges%20path,#arrows%20polyline{visibility:hidden;}\n'+'\t\t#edges%20path.'+ottUser+',#arrows%20polyline.'+ottUser+'{visibility:visible;}\n\t';}};(function(){var%20gEls=document.getElementsByTagName('g'),i,gChl,j;if(svg.getElementsByTagName('style').length==0){svg.insertBefore(document.createElementNS('http://www.w3.org/2000/svg','style'),document.getElementById('edges'));};if(svg.getElementsByTagName('style').length==1){svg.insertBefore(document.createElementNS('http://www.w3.org/2000/svg','style'),document.getElementById('edges'));};style1=svg.getElementsByTagName('style')[1];style1.textContent=clickTxt+'\t';for(i=gEls.length-1;i>=0;i--){gChl=gEls[i].getElementsByTagName('*');for(j=gChl.length-1;j>=0;j--){gChl[j].setAttribute('class',gChl[j].getAttribute('class').replace(/([0-9]+)/g,'u$1'));};};})();svg.addEventListener("click",function(e){var%20tar=e.target;if(tar.hasAttribute('class')&&tar.getAttribute('class').search(/u[0-9]+$/)===0){showOnly(tar.getAttribute('class'));};},false);
Though if someone wants to greasemonkey it, that'd be cool.

Edit: Sciscitor, Is there any way to get an updated version of the ott.svg (or, maybe just the secret to making it)?
Last edited by azule on Sat May 25, 2013 8:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 7:27 am UTC

Goggalor wrote:I'm expecting dialogue in the next newpix or two. Maybe Meagan will describe the structure as neat? I would stay up and find out, but I have a brother graduating early in the morning, so I'm afraid I must coma.

So your "waking up to graduating brother" number is 1. Cool dude.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 7:42 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:

That's what she said...

My apologies.

The Loopists will be getting excited at this - is it the site of the fabled Ikea?

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat May 25, 2013 7:57 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:For now, BlitzGirl numbers have been replaced with Karmann numbers. We miss you Karmann!

I like this. For one: since he's gone, no messing around. But even then, whoever is top, that would be less arbitrary. The envy of being quoted will be "Top of the Hill" based. :)

I was wondering, Kieryn, if there were any way to chart us based on quotes per post. To inflate our post numbers, because some of us post our responses in one post for various reasons, but it hurts our rank. This would help not to encourage double posting as we could still get credit.

To explore the last aspect (I can think of) I don't think length of (non-quoted) post should matter. The value of a post is not always better based on length. Often they are better shorter. So, just simple measuring would be fine.

Exodies wrote:Cheer up, azule. Writing a scientific paper is merely a chore some people have to do to keep their job. Being in a movie means that you have the patience to hang around for days doing nothing.
You're totally right. People's jobs require them to write papers or do nothing. To them it probably isn't as special. BTW, I wasn't quite sad. Actually, I was surprised at how cool my fellow TimeWaiters are. Mild admiration. As Vytron says: what we do here is more important. :)

Kazza3 wrote:

That's what she said...

My apologies.

You should apologize.

...I was going to say that.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 25, 2013 8:10 am UTC

BELONGERSHIPS...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 8:16 am UTC

ggh wrote:Finally caught up again. So many wonderful things to comment on, but did I take notes? noooo. Sorry. :(

I do remember my dumb question though, 'cuz it's been bothering me since molpies arrived on the scene: do we know what size the OTA works at? The various molpies look to me like they were drawn well, before being downrezzed to a pixel or two. I wonder if we'll ever ever get to see them, maybe as a print in the OTS.

There is a TED X video of Randall and I think he discusses his technique. Oh dear, I really should go and get a URL for you sweet people shouldn't I? Just a sec.
Well that's a bit awkward, there's evidence that he didn't do one, but that must have been published before he did one.
It mayn't have been TED, but it was certainly me who watched it. Perhaps someone else can find it. He's drawing while he speaks.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat May 25, 2013 8:36 am UTC

@ucim, um, Jose - neat scene. Yeah, that tree part all the kids were spoiling for me was cool. :) I especially liked the moody colored sky thingie.

@ChronosDragon - Chapter 3 is looking good. 8-)

mscha wrote:BELONGERSHIPS...
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot
Good post, newpixbot. I don't know that word, but "ships"...just like Randall is teasing us, to think that structure "floats" in some way down their river. Like, a ship (a small boat, really). :shock:

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Sat May 25, 2013 8:38 am UTC

mscha wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:
Spoiler:

That could work as well. But that's an even more alien planet than Mars...

Alien?! Mscha, we live here...
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat May 25, 2013 9:01 am UTC

IT'STHEY'REWE'REALLRELATEDONG

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 25, 2013 9:09 am UTC

It's all related! :D

Misc. ketchup:
1. I'm a good way south from the bridge collapse, so don't worry.
2. Breaking up monster posts into itty bitty posts means that the newpage count will inflate, not sure that's a great idea.
3. Loved the new chapter of The Case of the Little River!
4. I like the solution for the number thing, though if we're using only absent thread-dwellers it may be biased against new folks.

Oh, and since that's all worked out (mostly), are y'all ready for the Present Present?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sat May 25, 2013 9:17 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:It's all related! :D

Misc. ketchup:
2. Breaking up monster posts into itty bitty posts means that the newpage count will inflate, not sure that's a great idea.
4. I like the solution for the number thing, though if we're using only absent thread-dwellers it may be biased against new folks.

Oh, and since that's all worked out (mostly), are y'all ready for the Present Present?

Since no one else has stepped in, I emphatically say that yes we are!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat May 25, 2013 9:25 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
azule wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:*drags furniture in front of the door* There, that should keep the Outside at bay for a few minutes.
<snip/>

Very dramatic, me likes. It actually worried me a bit. I hope you're okay. :P

And, damn, has everyone here been in a movie or written a scientific paper? I haven't done either. :( *feels unsmart/uncool*

Cheer up, azule. Writing a scientific paper is merely a chore some people have to do to keep their job. Being in a movie means that you have the patience to hang around for days doing nothing.

Then clearly every Timewaiter is a potential movie star. The way the OTT is organized, even a shooting script shouldn't faze us.

Yes, please! Goodies!
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sat May 25, 2013 9:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 25, 2013 9:29 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

Absomolplutely!
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat May 25, 2013 9:45 am UTC

azule wrote:This is a script (bookmarklet) for Sciscitor's wonderful Quote Constellation. Of course, this only works with the SVG.

Whoa! I had no idea SVGs and Javascript could interact like that. Neatness!

BlitzGirl wrote:2. Breaking up monster posts into itty bitty posts means that the newpage count will inflate, not sure that's a great idea.

Not more than if I was live replying to stuff :wink: - most people not posting ketchup do it all the time, the difference being, huh... they're posting mayonnaise?

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, and since that's all worked out (mostly), are y'all ready for the Present Present?

I was born ready!

Or we can pretend that I did!
Cheers Marsh'n!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 25, 2013 9:46 am UTC

Here's the Present Present!
Not very original, I know, but I love to Boom De Yada!

(You can see why I was a bit leery to post this when there was discussion about how the OTT should be about the OTC rather than the OTT!)

List of those I included:
Spoiler:
Dune-jumping Cuegan
azule
edfel's map
Valarya
My first ENHANCE!
Random footnotes
HES
Neil_Boekend
HAL9000
astrocub
spamjam
Pikrass
Goggalor
fhorn
pelrigg
Helper
Sciscitor's chart
Earthling on Mars's zoom levels
jjjdavidson
yappobiscuits
mscha
k.bookbinder
ucim's Acts of the Clerics
Vytron
Cuegan by the BentBaobab
charlie_grumbles's manip

Again, I wish I could fit everyone! I tried to use mostly posters that weren't in the first Boom De Yada, with a couple of exceptions.
Sorry if I missed you! But you could always make it into a future Present Present, especially if you contribute some awesomeness to the OTT :wink:

Oh, and please check out these larger sizes if you want to see more detail:
Large Size
Huge Size

The original OtherComic Boom De Yada: http://xkcd.com/442/
The first OTT Boom De Yada: http://vpx.pl/i/2013/04/30/WeLoveTheTimeThread.png
Spoilered attachment:
Spoiler:
BoomDeYada2.png
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 9:51 am UTC

Misc. ketchup:

You mean the newpage count will reflect the number of new pages there are. Sounds perfect.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 9:56 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Here's the Present Present!
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.61 KiB) Viewed 19038 times

Terrific! I spose you aren't doing these on a smart phone?
Last edited by Exodies on Sat May 25, 2013 10:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 25, 2013 10:07 am UTC

I love it!

With that in my head, I shall go off to dreamyland.
Agatha the Awesomeful

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 25, 2013 10:08 am UTC

So excited about the Present Present I almost forgot the DONG:

Oh hey, I'm Mopey Molpy Mome again!

Bumping the Present Present for the Newpage:
Spoiler:

Large Size
Huge Size
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

edfel

Postby edfel » Sat May 25, 2013 10:36 am UTC

I love this whole strip!
Each image's really cool!
Boom de Yada, Boom de Yada,
Boom de Yada, Boom de Yada!
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”