1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat May 25, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm interested in the background of some of your local "handles."

I go by Earthling on some other forums, after the planet I come from. (Nobody else would happen to be from there, would you?) Here, it was already taken, so I added "on Mars", since that was more interesting than adding some random number. Besides that, that's where I live now.

(What, don't you believe me?)

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat May 25, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Besides that, that's where I live now.

So that's a selfie in your avatar?
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat May 25, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

poxic wrote:

Yeah, if you look really closely at that crater on the right, you can just see me.
(An ENHANCE! button might help.)

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:@everyone in general: thoughts on postlengths, snipping, and spoilers

Not exactly an example of Non Violent Communication. We learn from this that you aren't posting from a phone; I suspect you would change your methodology if you were. You are unconcerned by seeing the latest Page out of sequence, other people have a different view. I think the official rules are enforced by requests to the moderators from normal posters, so there's no need to worry about a clampdown on double posts if we are comfortable with them.

Spoiler:
Might I direct you to a certain part of that post:
HAL9000 wrote:(about half of my posts come from a mobile device).

(Currently, however, I happen to be at my computer)
When I'm posting from my phone, I do tend to avoid quoting longer posts, so you have a point. But I have frequently included multiple quotes in posts from mobile, including a few PhoenixRising-style table-of-contents topically spoilered ketchups, so it's doable (I use Safari on my phone so it may be an issue with your browser. If all of the posts you're responding to are on the same page, you can hit the 'quote' button in the topic review window and it inserts that post, plus quote tags, into your text field at your cursor position). The occasional double post is acceptable, especially when the thread's moving slowly, but triple posts and frequent double posts with only a few minutes between them (both of which I have seen a few times before) are unnecessary and irritating (to me, at least). That's all I'm going to say on the matter; if anyone has any issues with me we can resolve it via PM if possible, to avoid disturbing the balance of the OTT.

Sorry about overreacting to stuff yet again (yay for me!). We've all got different views on the rules and what they mean, as well as what is and isn't in violation of them.

Anyways, moving on:
charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm interested in the background of some of your local "handles."

I've always been a fan of fictional AIs, and they make for good usernames. I'm HAL (sans "9000") on one forum, HAL9000 here, GLaDOS on another, and Gerty somewhere else. I was kind of surprised this name wasn't already taken when I registered.
Earthling on Mars wrote:
poxic wrote:

Yeah, if you look really closely at that crater on the right, you can just see me.

So this is you?
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 25, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Here's the Present Present!
Not very original, I know, but I love to Boom De Yada!
Spoiler:

This makes me happy. I'm changing my avatar to the "I love Newpages" panel, in part because it's a mention of me (yey! <3 ) but also because you can see the top of mscha's "I love the Newpixbot" avatar at the bottom of the panel, which means there's a Present Present avatar inside a Present Present avatar. Such wonderful recursion!
Also, sorry if I seemed a little angry with my input on BlitzGirl numbers. I was just getting a little worried that it could end up going in the wrong direction if people took it too seriously. Didn't mean to offend people or delay Present Presents. :oops: <snip>

Ha, I didn't even notice I had some accidental recursion in there! And no worries about the numbers thing. It was more of an overall feeling I got about the OTT at that point that made me delay the Present Present. But, as it turns out, all I had to do was Wait for it to brighten up again. :)

Oh, and re: double posts - I might be in the minority here, but I find double posts to be slightly annoying unless there is an absolute need for them. I suppose this attitude serves as a counterweight to those who dislike the spoilerific posts...

As for my username, "Blitz" was actually a character in a sequence of dystopian sci-fi stories I wrote about 10 yips ago, and I use it as a forum handle here and there. But it was already taken by the time I registered here, so I added "Girl" to the end, because people tend to erroneously assume that the username is male (particularly in male-dominated fora). It doesn't bug me too much, but it looks a little prescient in light of the gender-neutral pronouns OTOTT* discussion.

*Off-Topic One True Thread
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 25, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Ah, I wasn't here to ruin it for you this time, newpixbot!
(Should it bother me that I've begun to think of newpixbot as a sentient entity?)

I shouldn't think so. Newpixbot thinks of you as a bot. Image

SBN wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:As for double-posting:
The Forum Rules wrote:To clarify, double posting refers to any two posts in a row made by you, even if they have completely different content. If you’re addressing multiple people, all your replies go in the same post. You are able to easily quote as many people as you like by scrolling through the thread review and hitting the quote button, so there should be no excuses.

The only time double posts may be permitted is to bump threads.

They've a little lenient on us with this one, but that doesn't mean we should exploit that. If they don't pursue our double-posts, it's not an all-clear from them on posting twice in a row (or three times, as several users have done before). Even if it's been ten minutes since your last post, edit your next response in or take the time to wait for someone else to post something (ONGs excluded, so everyone sees them). It's still going to be seen (after all, we've all had to ketchup at some point). It doesn't matter if you have to go to the most recent Newpage to see if the last post is yours. Aversion to seeing what topic the conversation has moved on to shouldn't take precedence over what is clearly stated in the forum rules. I've seen multiple of frames out of sequence, it hasn't harmed my enjoyment of this comic and this thread (I even had to skip over an entire page, and all the ONGs contained within it, because my browser decided that specific page was full o' malware. I finished ketching up and viewed the frames on one of the sites that has complied them).
If you're ketching up and have multiple things to respond to, then put them all in a single post. Even if you have to open several tabs worth of posts to quote, and end up with a lengthy post at the end.

But why is double posting against the forum rules? I know it is, so that's fine, but knowing why might be nice. It is easy to tell who posted last, by going to the index page, where it says. I don't really like posts that get edited much after the initial posting though, I do often miss the editing. Going to "First Unread Post" doesn't account for editing since you read it.

I have also missed edits that way...
I've tried to propose that we loosen the double posting rule a couple of times, but without any reaction, so I've (for the most part) been following it.
I do think it makes sense if you just want to add another thought to what you just posted. And if you do a Image, it might be better to do it in one post (although there are pros and cons that have been discussed enough), but if you posted something 5 minutes ago, and now want to make an entirely new observation, or want to reply to another post on a different subtopic, I'd think it'd be easier for everybody – posters and readers – to just make it a new post.

Also (to make HAL9000 happy Image) a comment on the OTC: make up your mind, Cuegan! Don't just sit there, go do something!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 25, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:*Off-Topic One True Thread

I thought there was no such thing as off-topic here, because the topic keeps changing. We've discussed a rather wide range of topics, from Javascript (I finally noticed that, did anyone else see it?) to construction helmets to the plural form of a children's building toy. Gender-neutral pronouns just happened to pop up early enough that people still confused it with an off-topic discussion. As jetpac put it back on NP 519:
jetpac wrote:It's basically a chatroom with a log at this point.

mscha wrote:Also (to make HAL9000 happy Image)

Oh you. Shush. :wink:
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 25, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

This sort of double postONG is acceptable under all circumstances
(or, if you prefer)
learnONG (credit for this one goes to charlie_grumbles, whose post was ninja'd and then deleted)
They definitely have learned a lot. This is one of Cueball's first nonclueless statements.
ETA: ninja'd charlie_grumbles, but his ONG is pretty good too. Surprised I didn't think of that.
ETA2: he deleted his post, so I'll put his ONG in this post.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Sat May 25, 2013 7:12 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 25, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

The sea-journey period took daysH? How many newpix did that span?

HHeresy.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat May 25, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

Hmmm. Shouldn't it have been
"We walked along the sea for days and we didn't learn anythONG"?

Jus' askin'

edit: Maybe proof that GLR does NOT read the OTT.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Sat May 25, 2013 7:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat May 25, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm interested in the background of some of your local "handles." Charlie_Grumbles is just a name I made up that seemed to express a certain curmudgeonly character. I've since learned that there are real, actual, humans with that name. They are, of course, not guilty of the stuff I write.

Mine is latin and I used it some times before. It means "I ask, inquire, question, examine, consult, interrogate" and I think it reflects on my general curious approach to living.
My avatar is known as "Fenstergucker", denoting someone who looks out of a window, seeing if there is something new or interesting around.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 25, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The sea-journey period took daysH? How many newpix did that span?

HHeresy.

Just over 100 newpix. Newpix 972 is when it switches from solid white to a view of an empty stretch of ground, M&C show up next newpix, and 1077 is the first frame where both of their backs are completely towards us (at the start of their journey upriver). So there's probably supposed to be quite some time elapsed between their leaving the sandcastles and their return to being in-frame. The Fading lasted a little under 100 newpix as well, so there's probably a long timespan that we don't see that is encompassed by the solid white frame #971.

Also:
We've by now transcended Othercomic #915, as we are a bunch of strangers trapped in a box with 1600 pictures of two people building a sandcastle and taking a walk.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Sat May 25, 2013 7:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 25, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The sea-journey period took daysH? How many newpix did that span?

Good catch. This is the best indication of Inside time duration we've had so far.
Unfortunately, this doesn't help us much. We've followed them along the sea for about 52 frames. But they left 89 frames earlier, before we had to endure the Fade. So they've been gone for about 141 frames? Or does the fade indicate a jump in time? (Who knows, we might have jumped to 3 days later, and followed them walking for half an hour to reach the river.
So, in conclusion, we don't know nuthin'...

BlitzGirl wrote:HHeresy.

Burn the steaks at Cueball! Image
It isn't, though, and neither is my use of days and hours. Cueball and I are talking about Inside days, which we don't know how to map to newpix (or heretical Outside time units) but heretical they're not.

Edit:
HAL9000 wrote:Just over 100 newpix. Newpix 972 is when it switches from solid white to a view of an empty stretch of ground, M&C show up next newpix, and 1077 is the first frame where both of their backs are completely towards us (at the start of their journey upriver). So there's probably supposed to be quite some time elapsed between their leaving the sandcastles and their return to being in-frame. The Fading lasted a little under 100 newpix as well, so there's probably a long timespan that we don't see that is encompassed by the solid white frame #971.

I don't think so...
They've reached the river by frame 1023, so the journey to the river (at least the part we saw) took 52 frames.
Last edited by mscha on Sat May 25, 2013 7:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 25, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Some interesting Time dilation must be happening, since 100 newpix is just over 4 Outsider daysH. This might be a point in Time where Inside days and Outside days actually track pretty closely (vs. "action" scenes in the OTC).
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Sat May 25, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm interested in the background of some of your local "handles." Charlie_Grumbles is just a name I made up that seemed to express a certain curmudgeonly character. I've since learned that there are real, actual, humans with that name. They are, of course, not guilty of the stuff I write.

"charlie is my name - irony is my game"

Anyone else?

My username all across the Internet is usualy erg, or erg with something at the end because a lot of websites don't like short usernames. It's not taken as often as you'd think though. It's taken up quite a few meanings over the years, but if I remember correctly, the original meaning was 'the sound you make when Someone punches you in the stomach.' Why I wanted to be named after that sound is a mystery.

And regarding the OTC, I don't think there are any mountains on Madagascar, so their mention aids the theory of a fictional location.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 25, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Cueball said:
We walked along the sea for days and we didn't learn anything. Up here we're learning lots of things.

Score for those who have been saying "there are things happening outside the frames we're seeing". [Like: "How many days", "Have Cuegan slept", "Have Megball eaten", "How far have Megan and Cueball traveled"]
I know I've looked like I've waffled on some things, but I'm either trying to play "devil's advocate" or trying to show I'm willing to be convinced to accept a different view.
Rule 110 pointed out we can accept only what we are shown "In Frame" and therefore can't make "In-universe-outside" guesses. [paraphrasing :wink: ] (Which of course is half the fun of this thread. "Wild Mass Guessing".)

I'm with those who claim there are things can happen without our "witnessing it" (sleeping, eating, "watering the bushes", filling the water bag, crossing small feeder streams, and more). So Cuegan might be already in the "Bigger Hills" (foothills) and now closer to the mountains (which {from experience} can look like clouds until you're closer.) Of course, as they go higher into the mountains they'll be able to cross the "Pretty Neat River" just by wading across.

Ninja'd, I'm sure....

ETA
Great New Present Present BlitzGirl. (And, wow, I'm included in your greatness :oops: )
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat May 25, 2013 7:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 25, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

ergman wrote:And regarding the OTC, I don't think there are any mountains on Madagascar, so their mention aids the theory of a fictional location.

Did you, like, check the wikis? Image
Wikipedia wrote:Madagascar's highest peaks rise from three prominent highland massifs: Maromokotro 2,876 m (9,436 ft) on the Tsaratanana Massif is the island's highest point, followed by Boby Peak 2,658 m (8,720 ft) on the Andringitra Massif and Tsiafajavona 2,643 m (8,671 ft) on the Ankaratra Massif.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 25, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

It could be that they had been walking along the sea for a while before we joined them at the beach, and Act I (aka sandcastle epoch, iirc) was them taking an afternoon off to rest and have some fun building sandcastles. If that is the case, it does explain their confusion at the suddenly rising sea (because it hadn't been rising prior to their rest), but it leaves unexplained where they got the supplies for the platform from.

ergman wrote:I don't think there are any mountains on Madagascar, so their mention aids the theory of a fictional location.

Well, Madagascar is the most likely location. There are mountains, as mscha pointed out, the baobabs on mainland Africa and the Middle East aren't quite so tall, and they can't be in Australia (the other place that has native baobabs) because nothing's tried to kill them yet (also, Australian baobabs tend to be thicker in proportion to their height). Wherever they are, though, it's an Africa-like biome, but doesn't seem to be too hot (they haven't worried about water since the last time they refilled their dilgunnerangs).

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 25, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:<snip> because nothing's tried to kill them yet <snip>

I don't know, the Sea1.1 seems pretty malicious to me... it did try to kill the Sandcastle, after all. And Cueball nearly got eaten by the River2.1. And the brain-eating amoeba might still be incubating. And something about cancerraptors...

Another thought: Cuegan is right; why is there no evidence of settlements by the Sea1.0? Did people choose not to settle there (odd, considering settlement patterns in the Outside) or was all evidence of them scoured clean by the Sea1.1?

1.0 Big
1.1 Does whatever it wants
2.1 Even bigger than it looked
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat May 25, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

@BlitzGirl - That's very sweet of you. I especially love yappo as the ketchup smilie....fully rendered in stunning, revolutionary 8-bit!!!!! hehe. :D

The question is now, how do you sing upside down?!? Today's ninja brought to you by the fine makers of newpixbot: mscha℠. Where all your ninjas are best served by cold, steel robots bent on world domination.

My favorite color is, for the most part, blue. Azule is an Anglicization of azul, the Spanish word for blue, pronounced "ah-sool" (though, "uh-zool" in English is fine). :) There are others with my handle. *grumbles*

Exodies wrote:You mean the newpage count will reflect the number of new pages there are. Sounds perfect.
Hehe, so true.

Dracomax wrote:maybe if there were a way to unspoiler things by default for people who don't like them?
Sounds like an easy script.

Dracomax wrote:Also, Raft! Oregon trail time?
And dysentery time.

SBN wrote:But then, I appear to be the minority in that I don't mind leaving the spoilers open.
Me too, for the most part.

Vytron wrote:
azule wrote:This is a script (bookmarklet) for Sciscitor's wonderful Quote Constellation. Of course, this only works with the SVG.

Whoa! I had no idea SVGs and Javascript could interact like that. Neatness!
Yay, my 10,000th person! Is that how that works?

Sciscitor wrote:Great use of my work, azule. This is what I like best: When someone else uses something to create new ways to look at it, to view it in ways, I haven't thought of yet and get new insights. A true collaborative effort!

And I am currently working on an updated one (once Outside allows me to continue). To get the data involves quite some number crunching on my database, but the scripts to extract the data are already there. Once the data is extracted the process is rather straight forward: I dump the data into gephi and fiddle around with it until I get some pleasant looking results, perhaps doing some twerking by hand. If someone (Kieryn or mscha) would be interested in hosting a page I could provide the datastream (gefx) for a visualization with sigma. Just drop me a note.
Thanks. I felt the same way, but didn't want to be so bold as to say we collaborated. :)

Hmm, since I don't really know what those are, I guess I'll wait for it... Though, I see that sigma is some sorta canvas thing. Would I be able to use a script in the same way on that? :? *rhetorical ?*

BTW, how is self-quoting handled? I was thinking it might be cool if self-quoters had little curved arrows points right back at 'em.

HAL9000 wrote:@azule: how do javascript???

This seems really cool! I say "seems" because I have almost no clue as to how this is implemented (where do I put this block o' code?). Is anyone willing/able to explain how I can put it into use? If it's any help, I'm on a MacBook running OS X 10.6.8, and my default browser is Chrome (though I also have Firefox and Safari if it's easier to use on those browsers).
Alright, two ways to do this. After loading ott2.svg:
  1. Copy the block-o-code and paste it into the address bar, press enter, and wait.
  2. Save the block-o-code into a bookmark. [Make a new bookmark, paste into location field, give it a name.] Press bookmark. (This activates code the same as 1., but is conveniently ready for next load.)
When the cursor becomes a hand when over nodes, the script is ready. Press and have fun.
One more step if you've got the code editing skills:
    3.  This code can be set up at the bottom of the svg file (with a few changes) and then its ready when the svg loads. Ask and I can give you the real details on that.
I've tried this in Firefox and Chrome.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat May 25, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

Captain foresight: Megan is going to say "Yeah."

Remarkable how much action we are getting with this comic. Difficult to remember the names of all the characters though.

ergman

Postby ergman » Sat May 25, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
ergman wrote:And regarding the OTC, I don't think there are any mountains on Madagascar, so their mention aids the theory of a fictional location.

Did you, like, check the wikis? Image
Wikipedia wrote:Madagascar's highest peaks rise from three prominent highland massifs: Maromokotro 2,876 m (9,436 ft) on the Tsaratanana Massif is the island's highest point, followed by Boby Peak 2,658 m (8,720 ft) on the Andringitra Massif and Tsiafajavona 2,643 m (8,671 ft) on the Ankaratra Massif.

:oops: I had a feeling this was going to happen. I was going to check, but I was too lazy and my Internet is being slow.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

akacat

Postby akacat » Sat May 25, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

As to double-posting: the rule isn't unique to xkcd; it's been a rule on nearly every forum I've been on since forums became a thing. If anyone knows why it's so widely discouraged, I'd love to know.

And I think it's less that the mods are lenient about it in the OTT, as that we have one clearly defined exception to the rule that makes sense. It's also possible that they've long since fled and left us to our own devices.

"charlie is my name - irony is my game"

Anyone else?

Long story, super-condensed version: Dating back to the days of Fidonet, I was known in alias-permitting venues as "catkeeper". That was later shortened to "cat". Since "cat" is nearly always already taken, I've had a few variations over the years. My favorite is akacat, pronounced as a.k.a. cat.
Last edited by akacat on Sat May 25, 2013 8:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat May 25, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:
poxic wrote:

So this is you?
Spoiler:

Whee, you found me! Ain't I handsome?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 25, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

azule wrote:

This seems really cool! I say "seems" because I have almost no clue as to how this is implemented (where do I put this block o' code?). Is anyone willing/able to explain how I can put it into use? If it's any help, I'm on a MacBook running OS X 10.6.8, and my default browser is Chrome (though I also have Firefox and Safari if it's easier to use on those browsers).
  1. Copy the block-o-code and paste it into the address bar, press enter, and wait.
  2. Save the block-o-code into a bookmark. [Make a new bookmark, paste into location field, give it a name.] Press bookmark. (This activates code the same as 1., but is conveniently ready for next load.)
When the cursor becomes a hand when over nodes, the script is ready. Press and have fun.
    3.  This code can be set up at the bottom of the svg file (with a few changes) and then its ready when the svg loads. Ask and I can give you the real details on that.

Do I paste the code after "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23263053/ott2.svg," or does it replace the address? Whenever I try adding it to the end, I get a dropbox 404 error page, and when I replace the address, it interprets it as a google search query and hands me a 414 error for it being too long.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 25, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

Another part of understandOng

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Sat May 25, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

It occurs to me that all of you people making connections have been doing much too much work.

1Neil Gaiman lives on the planet Outsiders call "Earth"
2.Stratplayer also lives on "Earth"

See? it's all connected. :wink:

I'm for keeping most double posts down. It's considered bad ettiquette in most forums, and I'd hate to get the thread shut down because random day's 10,000 joined and looked in the OTT, saw 3 pages with 2 people posting 5 or 6 in a row, and went to bring the mods in. Also, I suspect that the mods are giving us free reign at the moment, but that doesn't mean if we get too out of hand, they won't come in and gett hammery. And, We know that at least one admin lurks occasionally. Personally, I'd like to see this thread become the longest thread on the OTF, (no qualifiers) but Regardless, I don't want it shut down, or to have members suspended. Also, if we get in the habit of doing the double posting here, it would be too easy to do it in one of the other needle pulled things around here and get in trouble. I already have to watch so I don't tell people I'm going to coma. I'd rather not have to watch behavior elsewhere.

But, I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that it doesn't matter whjat or how you post; someone will love it, someone will hate it, and someone will think they could be eating bacon rather than arguing about it. mmm....bacon....

also, I really like dragons. that's where my nick came from. if you see it el;sewhere, there's a decent chance it's me.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 25, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

Cueball, that's mustard and you know it. :roll:

Montov wrote:<snip> Remarkable how much action we are getting with this comic. Difficult to remember the names of all the characters though.

Indeed, hence the use of "Cuegan". Makes things easier all around!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

edfel

Postby edfel » Sat May 25, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Good catch. This is the best indication of Inside time duration we've had so far.
Unfortunately, this doesn't help us much. We've followed them along the sea for about 52 frames. But they left 89 frames earlier, before we had to endure the Fade. So they've been gone for about 141 frames? Or does the fade indicate a jump in time? (Who knows, we might have jumped to 3 days later, and followed them walking for half an hour to reach the river.
So, in conclusion, we don't know nuthin'...
<snip>

If I remember weel, the sea level rised much faster during the fading, so it wouldn't exactly indicate a jump in time, but rather a "fast forward" (with normal speed when LaPetite returned in the end.
What is strange, is that "[The Pretty Neat River] is not much farther from home than [the Small River] is at its driest." That makes ~3 days walk to get fresh water in the dry season?

Anyway, I need to rescale the map...
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 25, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

azule wrote:@BlitzGirl - That's very sweet of you. I especially love yappo as the ketchup smilie....fully rendered in stunning, revolutionary 8-bit!!!!! hehe. :D

The question is now, how do you sing upside down?!? <snip>

Very carefully. :wink:

I'm not too worried about it; if yappo was able to sing a ROT-13 infused "Boom De Yada," I'm sure someone can find a way to sing an upside-down Boom De Yada!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat May 25, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:

Do I paste the code after "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23263053/ott2.svg," or does it replace the address? Whenever I try adding it to the end, I get a dropbox 404 error page, and when I replace the address, it interprets it as a google search query and hands me a 414 error for it being too long.

It would be the second method you said. Replacing the address. I think what happens on Chrome is the "javascript:" part doesn't paste, so just type it in then paste the code. That should do the trick.

Sciscitor wrote:Mine is latin and I used it some times before. It means "I ask, inquire, question, examine, consult, interrogate" and I think it reflects on my general curious approach to living.
Cool meaning. I was thinking scissor, but more like the PKMN Scizor (which I nicknamed something like Sciscor). :)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Sat May 25, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

Rather than supporting a fictional location, the mention of mountains means that Madagascar is not where they are. That leaves a broad area from Africa, through India and on to Malaysia and Australia. All areas where Baobobs are found.1,2,3,4

1. And rivers
2. And the sea
3. And fences
4. And mountains
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sat May 25, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:By the way, I'd like to say thanks to whoever it was earlier that recommended 1/0. I finished (OtherBlitzed?) the archives over the last few days, and then proceeded to read the author's current comic (Leftoversoup) from the beginning up to present day last night. I think it's fair to say that I'm a fan of Mr. Tailsteak ;)

Curse you! [read: Thank you!] I was the one who recommended 1/0, but I didn't know about Leftover Soup. Now I'm going to have to ketchup on that (but hey, apparently ketchup can be made into chicken teriyaki.)

I wonder whether they made the observation platform out of sticks that floated down their river. And they have markings on them which are IKEA instructions. Or maybe the people in the hills are beavers.

I love the boom de yadas, and I look forward to the Time when we have a recursive one saying that. Singing the upside-down boom de yada should be as simple as turning the waveform upside down. ;)

It seems to me that if people write a separate post for each reply, they'll have to either blind post (assuming they reply to each post as they come across it, before reading future posts to see how the discussion evolved) or double post (which is against the forum rules, though I don't particularly mind it.) Spoilers are fine as long as there is at least something outside the spoiler, e.g, in the case of a spoilered nested quote, enough of the quote that people who already read that post will understand what is being replied to, and only people who didn't read the post or have forgotten it or just want to see the awesome filk again can unspoiler (despoil?) it. The spoilered parts of the quote could (and maybe should) even be deleted, but are just there in case someone wants to quickly remind themselves of the whole conversation. In summary, it should be possible to understand a post without clicking any Spoiler buttons (unless they contain large images, actual spoilers, surprises or things such as 'wait for it' or genitalia which benefit from the delayed viewing.)

I love the kitkat/m&ms cake; it's like an edible ball pit.

Well, my name is Angela and I am a stic figure.

Nah. My name is Angela, but the rest comes from the word 'gelastic'. It's actually hard to imagine that the name 'BlitzGirl' came from anything other than 'girl who blitzes the OTT' now.

May I ask which part of Austria Sciscitor is in? I'm supposed to be moving to Wiener-Neustadt in a few months and I'm wondering if anywhere near there sells crush-proof playpen balls.

mikrit wrote:4. As I proved on page 589, LaPetite is a hairdresser in Nyköping, Sweden.

Wow; I've been to Nyköping! If only I'd been to a hairdresser I could have met LaPetite/BlitzGirl.

Oh, by the way, has anybody noticed the SVG-JavaScript? :D
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat May 25, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

I wanted a username that wasn't already taken; I tried a few variations of letters until I ended up with one that both was pronounceable and had no results on google.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Sat May 25, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:Ah, I wasn't here to ruin it for you this time, newpixbot!
(Should it bother me that I've begun to think of newpixbot as a sentient entity?)

I shouldn't think so. Newpixbot thinks of you as a bot. Image

SBN wrote:[spoiler]
HAL9000 wrote:As for double-posting:
The Forum Rules wrote:To clarify, double posting refers to any two posts in a row made by you, even if they have completely different content. If you’re addressing multiple people, all your replies go in the same post. You are able to easily quote as many people as you like by scrolling through the thread review and hitting the quote button, so there should be no excuses.

The only time double posts may be permitted is to bump threads.

They've a little lenient on us with this one, but that doesn't mean we should exploit that. If they don't pursue our double-posts, it's not an all-clear from them on posting twice in a row (or three times, as several users have done before). Even if it's been ten minutes since your last post, edit your next response in or take the time to wait for someone else to post something (ONGs excluded, so everyone sees them). It's still going to be seen (after all, we've all had to ketchup at some point). It doesn't matter if you have to go to the most recent Newpage to see if the last post is yours. Aversion to seeing what topic the conversation has moved on to shouldn't take precedence over what is clearly stated in the forum rules. I've seen multiple of frames out of sequence, it hasn't harmed my enjoyment of this comic and this thread (I even had to skip over an entire page, and all the ONGs contained within it, because my browser decided that specific page was full o' malware. I finished ketching up and viewed the frames on one of the sites that has complied them).
If you're ketching up and have multiple things to respond to, then put them all in a single post. Even if you have to open several tabs worth of posts to quote, and end up with a lengthy post at the end.

But why is double posting against the forum rules? I know it is, so that's fine, but knowing why might be nice. It is easy to tell who posted last, by going to the index page, where it says. I don't really like posts that get edited much after the initial posting though, I do often miss the editing. Going to "First Unread Post" doesn't account for editing since you read it.

I have also missed edits that way...
I've tried to propose that we loosen the double posting rule a couple of times, but without any reaction, so I've (for the most part) been following it.
I do think it makes sense if you just want to add another thought to what you just posted. And if you do a Image, it might be better to do it in one post (although there are pros and cons that have been discussed enough), but if you posted something 5 minutes ago, and now want to make an entirely new observation, or want to reply to another post on a different subtopic, I'd think it'd be easier for everybody – posters and readers – to just make it a new post.

Also (to make HAL9000 happy Image) a comment on the OTC: make up your mind, Cuegan! Don't just sit there, go do something!
[/spoiler]
Has anyone here actually been called out or warned by the moderators for breaking the double posting, or any other, rule? I have been on other forums but not this one. I think this thread is so far out of control, rule-wise, that anything goes.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

fatness

Postby fatness » Sat May 25, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

I'm wondering what tools and such Cuegan are carrying in those backpacks...they evidently have rope and possibly nails as evidenced by the platform construction. Did they bring that along with them?

akacat wrote:And I think it's less that the mods are lenient about it in the OTT, as that we have one clearly defined exception to the rule that makes sense. It's also possible that they've long since fled and left us to our own devices.

I suspect that the mods here know what they are doing and as such know that leaving a well-behaved group alone tends to keep the group well-behaved as it self-moderates. Playing nit-picky moderator power games causes unnecessary strife that drives off members, which is the fastest way to kill a forum. We've all seen that happen elsewhere. The technical rule violations are few compared to the traffic.

That this has gone well over 28,000 posts without anything more controversial than a discussion over posting protocols is amazing.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 25, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

FightONG...

I wonder if they're gonna split up: Megan back to the sea, Cueball along the river and into the mountains. And in that case, who are we going to follow?
Naah. Megan will decide, Cueball will just follow.
Last edited by mscha on Sat May 25, 2013 9:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 25, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
azule wrote:The question is now, how do you sing upside down?!? <snip>

Very carefully. :wink:
I'm not too worried about it; if yappo was able to sing a ROT-13 infused "Boom De Yada," I'm sure someone can find a way to sing an upside-down Boom De Yada!

I just tried it, sang “Boom De Yada” while standing on my head. Sounded just the same...

Davidy wrote:

Rather than supporting a fictional location, the mention of mountains means that Madagascar is not where they are. That leaves a broad area from Africa, through India and on to Malaysia and Australia. All areas where Baobobs are found.1,2,3,4
1. And rivers
2. And the sea
3. And fences
4. And mountains

We've already concluded that there are mountains on Madagascar.
Also, our trees⁷ aren't just Baobabs, but Grandidier's baobab, which is only native to Madagascar. So, if we're at a real location on earth, Madagascar is still our best bet.

Edit: while we're explaining usernames, here's a repost from about a wip ago:
mscha wrote:Now that I can write normally again Image , a bit more about the pronunciation of mscha.
I pronounce it em-sga (with a Dutch hard g), which is pretty much impossible to do for anyone who isn't Dutch. Luckily, I'm fine with any alternative pronunciations, you can pronounce it “Bob” if you prefer. Image
(The username convention at my first ‘proper’ job was: first letter first name plus four letters last name. It stuck.)
Oh, and I'm indeed a “he”.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I find double posts to be slightly annoying

I just can't see this point of view at all. How does it work? Are you annoyed at the people who could have broken the double by interjecting but didn't or are you annoyed that someone had two things to say without waiting for a reaction to the first?
Or does it go:
Mother of Christ! I've already read a post from that asshole and now the bastard wants me to read another. Where in sodomy do these creeps come from?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:Another part of understandOng

The last couple of conversations seem to make more sense if he means us when he says we.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”