1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ergman

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Sun May 26, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:BlueCrab's blunt fingers + editing on an iPhone = :evil:

Those claws would make it challenging to use a touchscreen.
Anways, [-]ONG
So no molpyburgers, then.

Don't do it Squolpy! its a trap!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sun May 26, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:They should be called the "Misty" mountains

Also, on the subject of the Kieryn Sciscitor constelattion of posters and my place within it. It seems I have moved more central to the point of greatest posting. I am calling this The "Event." Not for any particular reason, other than it kind of looks like the point from which the rest of the OTT is exploding. I notice that the link between myself and stratplayer is quite possibly the brightest one there is. I knew there was a strong correlation, but that's a bit awe inspiring, actually.

In other words, Awesome and informative chart!

FTFY. Credit where credit is due.

ETA:
1) It's clearly a molpyrrel.
2) Megball are looking for supplies. It IS a trap and it looks like molpymeat's back on the menu boys.
3)
Spoiler:
Far over the misty mountains cold
To big seas deep and sandcastles old
We must away ere break of day
To see the tale of Time unfold
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun May 26, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

Does a stick figure has meat on its bones? Does a molpy consists of meat in a world of stick figures? Would there be vegetarians, or is it completely not relevant in a stick figure universe?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:3)
Spoiler:

I'm pretty sure this is one of the best things I've read all day. Bravo!
I'm considering working on a filk myself, but whenever I try I can't get more than halfway through the song before I run out of ideas. Maybe I should choose some shorter songs...
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

edfel

Postby edfel » Sun May 26, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

Megan, whatever you do,
Spoiler:
Don't steal its nut!

edit: because flickr hotlinking does have some policies: the image is from http://www.flickr.com/photos/25238692@N02/2618597300/
Last edited by edfel on Sun May 26, 2013 5:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sun May 26, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

@unreal37 - end of the OTC

Spoiler:
unreal37 wrote:We're up to 1600 newpix by the way.

It seems we've stopped speculating when it's going to end. Is Randall going to keep this going for years? Or is there a significant date or frame number he is planning to stop on? What is the current state of the bets on this?

I had a strange thought today. What would happen if it just ended? Suddenly. "The End". Unlike a two hour movie, or a 30 hour book, even a once per week TV series, so many people have spent countless hours (14,000 posts?) every day, analyzing a comic to a pixel level. Inventing names for things that aren't there - molpy's. Speculated to infinity about where this story is going, what does Time mean, and why are we waiting for it. If it ended badly - without significant explanation of what it all means - what would happen? How deeply unsatisfying would that be?

(Heresy).

Anyways, just thinking out loud. Glad to see so much conversation between Cuegan in the recent few OTCs.

After it didn't end with the fading, I'm not worried about it ending without us getting answers. I'm pretty sure it won't end until we find out why the sea is rising and what LaPetite is doing at the sandcastle.

@yappobiscuits - BlitzGirl = Megan?

Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Sure we can! We can answer any question at all!

Megan wrote:No. But I think we can answer any question.

Ok, that was creepy and awesome. Is BlitzGirl secretly LaPetite AND Megan?!

LaPetite BlitzGirl herself says they're (soul) sisters:

BlitzGirl wrote:Megan is clearly my soul sister.

@charlie_grumbles, yappobiscuits - name

Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Also I have to admit I love your name. It just rolls off the tongue well and is funny to say, kinda sounds like a children's character :P.

Children's character??? My name??? MY NAME??????
I sure hope you mean't some one else like BlitzGirl.
Fluffy's coming for you, kid. I'm the curmudgeon here. Sheeesh. Say it ain't so.

Sorry, but it's true :P A grumpy curmudgeonly character though!

Kind of like Oscar the Grouch.

@spamjam - newpixbot

Spoiler:
spamjam wrote:
azule wrote:
Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:10:01 pm UTC, spamjam wrote:NEWPIXBOTTEASEONG

That was indeed close. Approximately 2 seconds until newpixbot. Congrats. But, be nicer to our robot friend. :P
[and then later: 11:10:03] .... Are you using a bot now too, spamjam???

I (un?)fortunately don't seem to have much of an Outside Life, and since the OTT is kinda slow, I thought I'd see how close I could get and not be newpixbot-ninja'd. Hard to get much closer me thinks.

I wonder if it's possible to ninja newpixbot?

@Montov - zoom

Spoiler:
Montov wrote:Wow, most zoomed in frame since the early sandcastle era?

Megan is actually a bit larger than her frame 53 self:

sizemegan.png
sizemegan.png (4.44 KiB) Viewed 12036 times

(edited to attach image because imageshack links don't work anymore)

@Kieryn - song parody

Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
Kieryn wrote:3)

I'm pretty sure this is one of the best things I've read all day. Bravo!

Indeed! I love that song.
Last edited by Earthling on Mars on Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 26, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

So while we're watching Megan and the squolpy, and wondering who's going to eat who, Cueball is wandering around without a chaperone.
I'm hoping he doesn't fall in (again), or get attacked by other molpies.
But it would be neatA if he ran into the "campfire"/"pretty neat river" people.
If/when we see some new folks, I wonder how GLR will show them. Will they be wearing some sort of hat? (I hope no feathers or other stereotypical renderings though.)
Or will we only be able to tell the difference by dialog? ("Oh, hi 'other people', how's it going?")
And how many frames will it take to learn a new language?

A Haven't I heard that word before?
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun May 26, 2013 6:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun May 26, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Thanks to mscha here it is: My own page with some resources and one or the other colourful computation at http://xkcd.mscha.org/sciscitor/.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

nonthreatenONG gesture
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun May 26, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

As I originally wrote this, HAL9000 had just made the 28565th post on the OTT. The post numbers appear to be sequential over the entire xkcd forum; for instance, I found three posts on this thread numbered 3366395, 3366396, and 3366398; post 3366397 is over in the "Logic Puzzles" forum. So some calculations:

Code: Select all

HAL's latest post: http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3366444#p3366444
First post on OTT: http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3301860#p3301860
                                                                 -------
                         Total forum posts since first OTT post:   64584
                             Include rhomboidal's original post:       1
                                                                 -------
Total forum posts (including deletions) since beginning of Time:   64585

28565 / 64585 = .442

So the OTT has accounted for over 44% of all posts on the xkcd forums for the last two months mips.
Edited: Fixed off-by-1 error; months►mips

pelrigg wrote:If/when we see some new folks, I wonder how GLR will show them. Will they be wearing some sort of hat? (I hope no feathers or other stereotypical renderings though.)

So when did you develop this inexplicable prejudice against Cavaliers?
Spoiler:
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sun May 26, 2013 7:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 26, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

edfel wrote:Megan, whatever you do,
Spoiler:
Don't steal its nut!

ENHANCE!
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Sun May 26, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

Hey, everyone. Wasn't able to do much, and must get back to other demands on the [heresy] Outside [/heresy], but I have now at least updated the wiki's section on "Periods" to reflect recent events. If anyone thinks some of the exact newpix numbers for the periods should be toggled a bit, please edit. :) Also, individual pages for each of these recent periods needs to be created.

The last of them needs to be discussed as well. And, probably, it actually is entering a new one with Megan breaking off on her own ("Megan's quest" period, perhaps?)

As for further breaking down the Journey Era into multiple eras, that will have to come later. But hopefully this will start us on the road to getting caught up and better organized in our chronicling of Time.

Here be the updated wiki page:

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Periods
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 26, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Thanks to mscha here it is: My own page with some resources and one or the other colourful computation at http://xkcd.mscha.org/sciscitor/.

Looking good... Except that you may have forgotten to upload the actual .svgs...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 26, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:As I begin writing this, HAL9000 has just made the 28565th post on the OTT. The post numbers appear to be sequential over the entire set of xkcd fora. For instance, I found three posts on this thread numbered 3366395, 3366396, and 3366398; post 3366397 is over in the "Logic Puzzles" forum. So some calculations:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

HAL's latest post: http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3366444#p3366444
First post on OTT: http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3301860#p3301860
                                                                 -------
Total forum posts (including deletions) since beginning of Time:   64584

28565 / 64584 = .442

So the OTT has accounted for over 44% of all posts on the xkcd fora for the last two months.

pelrigg wrote:If/when we see some new folks, I wonder how GLR will show them. Will they be wearing some sort of hat? (I hope no feathers or other stereotypical renderings though.)

So when did you develop this inexplicable prejudice against Cavaliers?
Spoiler:

re Cool Hat: No, I'm NOT against them wearing hats, I just don't see GLR using the cliché of 'feathers' or 'bones through the nose' to indicate an indigenous people.

re Total forum posts: And other than some 'miscellaneous' style threads and some game threads, don't *We* have the highest page count?
Yeah Us
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun May 26, 2013 6:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Thanks to mscha here it is: My own page with some resources and one or the other colourful computation at http://xkcd.mscha.org/sciscitor/.

Looking good... Except that you may have forgotten to upload the actual .svgs...

Oops... fixed now.
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Sun May 26, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Eek! Once again, I've been away for less than 24 hours (busy weekend) and I fell behind. A lot has happened!

First, Jabber-walky: I've seen wonderful contributions from Platonix (two versions of verse 4) and BlueCrab (verse 5). SBN suggested a twerk to verse 5 which I've incorporated, since I like the meter it produces; besides, I like to include as many different people's input as possible. Here is the current working version of Jabber-walky:

Spoiler:
    'Twas midday, and the molpymurs
    Did dig and tunnel in the ground
    All flighty were the raptorbirds,
    And the beesnakes did abound.

Fear the molpyraptror, Megan!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the the ninjashark! And shun
    the beesnakes that seek your snatch!

They took their dilgun'rang in hand:
    Long time the sea answers they sought—
    So rested they by the neat "Neat tree,"
    And lay awhile in thought.

And as in thought they let Time pass,
    The MolpyRabtor, bird-and-hare,
    Came hopping/flying through the grass,
    And screeched to see them there!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
    The vorpal trebuchet went thwack!
    The RabtorBird fled with its head
    And Cuegan had no snack.

Since the final (seventh) verse is a repeat of the first verse, that leaves only verse 6 to go! Here's the original:

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
    Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
    O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
    He chortled in his joy.
Any takers?

rvloon wrote:Good! I can show off my Old Fartiness yet again. In a male-dominated world, especially in a nerd-community, there will always be a gravitation towards the bubbly-outgoing-type of girl (apologies to {Blitz|Buffy}Girl in advance for this grave generalilzation - I do like your contributions, it's just natural magnetism). It is no different here. On the other hand, I think we can avoid the All-Hail-BG syndrom (Stockholm, anyone ;-)) as we pretty much have demonstrated so far.

I hate to agree that rampant sexism exists, but it does. I used to play the MMORPG City of Heroes with three of my kids before they shut the game down. It was the first MMORPG that the two younger ones had been exposed to, so I played along with them to teach them appropriate behavior online. In addition to proper etiquette, I also tried to teach them how to maintain their own anonymity and privacy, and how they could avoid giving out too much personal information. As an example, after playing several male characters, I created a female superhero to play, intending to show them that if I role-played her correctly, no one should be able to tell my real-life age or gender. (I'm an older male, but if anyone assumed I resembled my character in real life, I wouldn't correct them.) I should also point out that when I created my character, I did not make her ridiculously over-endowed, or dress her in an extremely skimpy costume.

It was a VERY enlightening experience.
  • I got invited to a LOT more teams than my male characters did.
  • I was treated a lot more nicely.
  • People constantly came to my "rescue" whether I needed it or not. (And I usually didn't.)
  • People were a lot more interested in my personal life.
  • People found me on the game chat and said "hello" as soon as I logged into the game.
I shared all of this with my kids to make them aware of the different way people were treating my male characters and my female characters. They got the message, and I'm happy to see that their behavior in online games reflects it.

The experience definitely made me very aware and sympathetic to the crap that women must put up with all the time in games as well as forums. (I know the correct word is "fora", but damn it, it just doesn't sound right!)

Now. . .with Jabber-walky approaching an end, I have to figure out what contribution I can make to the OTT so that I might someday merit a mention in a future Present Present. :D
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun May 26, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:re Total forum posts: And other than some 'miscellaneous' style threads and some game thread, don't *We* have the highest page count?
Yeah Us

The record for highest count on the forum that I'm aware of is over 5000. Though it was in a similar spirit to some of the game threads.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sun May 26, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

We must enhance!

perry.png
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
pelrigg wrote:re Total forum posts: And other than some 'miscellaneous' style threads and some game thread, don't *We* have the highest page count?
Yeah Us

The record for highest count on the forum that I'm aware of is over 5000. Though it was in a similar spirit to some of the game threads.

The "count to a million" thread is rather lengthy.
ETA: almost 55000 posts on that thread. Eek! We've got a ways to go!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 26, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

feedONG the molpysquirrel?

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 26, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
mscha wrote:

Oops... fixed now.

Ah, you're now linking to files from your own Dropbox account.
That's fine, of course, up to you, but it'd be no problem for me if you put the files in this folder, if that's easier for you, or if people start complaining that they can't access them. (Some companies make the dubious decision to block access to Dropbox.)

(By the way, have you considered integrating azule's cool script in your .svg's? I know nothing about SVG, but edfel has Javascript embedded in his map, so apparently you can do that.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun May 26, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Ah, you're now linking to files from your own Dropbox account.
That's fine, of course, up to you, but it'd be no problem for me if you put the files in this folder, if that's easier for you, or if people start complaining that they can't access them. (Some companies make the dubious decision to block access to Dropbox.)

(By the way, have you considered integrating azule's cool script in your .svg's? I know nothing about SVG, but edfel has Javascript embedded in his map, so apparently you can do that.)

If bandwidth is really no concern to you, I'll move the big files in the folder as well as I go along and add some more features (for which I need some more time, so I guess we will have to Wait for it).
Concerning the javascript: I've looked into it but I could not quite figure out how to implement it inside the svg. Maybe azule can provide an augmented file. I also would like to keep both versions available as some machines might choke on the file size and computation needed.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 26, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Angua wrote:
Yeah Us

The "count to a million" thread is rather lengthy.
ETA: almost 55000 posts on that thread. Eek! We've got a ways to go!

That's why I was exempting game threads, especially that one. Of course (I think) we have more "content" in one of our posts than they have in one page. So to semi-quote buffygirl: "thpptt".
And we're not a genuine 'miscellaneous' thread either. We might wander off course for a bit, but the digression dies or it returns to the OTC. So in that way aren't we, if not the largest single topic thread, at least one of largest single topic threads?

mikrit wrote:We must enhance!

Spoiler:
perry.png

(Not sure if that's a response to my "hat/language" post, but even if it's not: ) Exactly.

And back to The OTC:
HAL9000 wrote:feedONG the molpysquirrel?

Megan!! You're supposed to be collecting food, not giving it away.....
(Oh, wait, you're empting your bag of crumbs..... Never Mind.)

Edited in some (hopefully) clarification.
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun May 26, 2013 7:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 26, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Wow, I coma for a few newpix and a squirpy shows up! :D Exciting!

To celebrate, here's a squirrelpy family reunion from Other Comics:
http://xkcd.com/167/ - "Hey, I found squirrels! In a neat tree! The future is an adventure!"
http://xkcd.com/1156/ - Gray squirpy and raptors, and Popeful title-text!
http://xkcd.com/635/ - Don't feed the squirpys!
http://xkcd.com/382/ - It's no trebuchet, but "It keeps squirrels off the feeder!"

And the crown jewel:
http://xkcd.com/776/ - It's all related.

From these, it can be observed that our squirpy's coloring allows it to cleverly blend in with its natural environment of semencoffeecancer, as none of the visible Other Comic squirpy-squirrels are pure black.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun May 26, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

[blind Image post @ newpix #1618]

@Exodies - It was your birthday and yet you get us cake. How nice. Thanks! and congrats!

@lmjb1964 - Cheer up! You are a neat member and we appreciate you.

@Others - There's been a lot of cheering up needed around here. Maybe it's getting too heavy. Is there some yoga breathing we can all do to calm down (and center our chakra)?

Sciscitor wrote:
azule wrote:First time they've cut back to a previous frame.

Not true. Cueball returned after finding the first deserted fireplace and the berries.

Right. I was trying to describe the leftward camera movement, which is new. The other kind is a backwards camera walk. Same idea, technically different.

mscha wrote:
Wnderer wrote:I see a squirrel.

Squirpy, you mean.

Ooh, squirpion!

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun May 26, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
    "And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
    Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
    He chortled in his joy.
Any takers?

"And hast thou slain the Molpysquir?
    Come to my arms, my beamish Meg!
    She twisted off its head.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun May 26, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

About the squolpy/molpyrrel/squirpion/molpysquir: Are there actually squirrels in Madagascar? This page says they're not native there, and doesn't specifically mention them being introduced (even though it does mention the introduction of squirrels to Australia) :

Animal Diversity Web wrote:Squirrels are found worldwide, native to all terrestrial regions with the exception of Australia, Madagascar, southern South America, Antarctica, Greenland, many oceanic islands, and certain desert regions such as the Sahara.

I can't find any worldwide distribution maps, though.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 26, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

Oh, and kudos on all of the creativeness that happened while I was a-coma, too: Sciscitor's new charts, edfels updated map, and yappo's otterific avatar! Image

And to everyone thanking me for the Present Present: You're welcome! :D I'm glad you liked it!

NatGeo has this little distribution map:

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun May 26, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

I was going through Randall's garbage and found a receipt for shipment of 20000 surplus cosmetic testing laboratory squirrels to Madagascar, so I think he's well prepared for Angelastic's research.
Last edited by Exodies on Sun May 26, 2013 7:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 26, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:If bandwidth is really no concern to you, I'll move the big files in the folder as well as I go along and add some more features (for which I need some more time, so I guess we will have to Wait for it).

Bandwidth should be fine (within reason), it's an externally hosted server, and data usage is not metered. So, as long as you don't upload gigabytes (or your charts get slashdotted), it'll be no problem.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun May 26, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

azule wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
azule wrote:First time they've cut back to a previous frame.

Not true. Cueball returned after finding the first deserted fireplace and the berries.

Right. I was trying to describe the leftward camera movement, which is new. The other kind is a backwards camera walk. Same idea, technically different.

Can you explain the technical difference for the lucky 10,000 of us who always think it's fun to learn these things? Thanks!

BlitzGirl wrote:NatGeo has this little distribution map:

That's odd; that looks just like the map I saw in Popular Mechanics last month for the distribution of squirrels without broadband internet access. Funny how these maps always seem to match up...
────────────────
[anal]While I was Outside mowing grass, I realized there was a minor error in my earlier calculation of the OTT's percentage of forum activity. It doesn't affect the outcome (same to five significant digits), but I had to go back and fix it anyway. It would have bugged me otherwise.[/anal]

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 26, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:If bandwidth is really no concern to you, I'll move the big files in the folder as well as I go along and add some more features (for which I need some more time, so I guess we will have to Wait for it).

Bandwidth should be fine (within reason), it's an externally hosted server, and data usage is not metered. So, as long as you don't upload gigabytes (or your charts get slashdotted), it'll be no problem.

Well, now that you've said that, slashdot'll put http://xkcd.mscha.org/ on their homepage by the end of the week.

Also:
jjjdavidson wrote:[anal]...[/anal]

:shock:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 26, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:About the squolpy/molpyrrel/squirpion/molpysquir: Are there actually squirrels in Madagascar?

Well, there's this one...

Looks like he's not actually on Madagascar, the island, just in a TV series based on the Madagascar characters.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 26, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

OfferONG
Last edited by HAL9000 on Sun May 26, 2013 8:01 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun May 26, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:NatGeo has this little distribution map:

Well, in that map it looks like there are none in Madagascar, but that doesn't show the region of Australia that has introduced squirrels, so I assume it's only showing natives. We still don't know for sure whether Madagascar has introduced squirrels.

Of course, the OTC is sort of like a fairy tale, and squirrels are definitely native to fairy tales (when I grew up I saw some in Canada and Switzerland, but I assume they were introduced), so it's probably okay. :D
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

ttscp

Re: 1190: "Time" - Matches and the Persistence of Emotion

Postby ttscp » Sun May 26, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

I'm going to talk about the OTT and the lack of flames. If you want to talk about the OTC, skip this post. I do think this post will be on-topic (as if anything in this thread is off-topic), but it does skim the edge.

It is one of the amazing features of this thread that we have had no flames in 28,000 posts. About 24 newpix ago, I followed a link from this thread to a light hearted article about Skynet taking over. Within two comments they were flaming.

So why don't we flame?

We have an unusual bunch here. We are articulate, intelligent, creative, xkcd followers. However that hasn't kept flames from starting in other xkcd fora (as an example, look at them arguing in Serious Business about what the Serious Business forum should be about).

There are over 900 posters. That's usually an invitation to flame. We humans can support an effective social group of about 150 people (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number), that is way higher than chimpanzee social group size of 15 to 120 (http://www.savethechimps.org/chimp-facts) and I've seen it ascribed to our need to establish where we belong in the group (or social hierarchy) by talking, where chimps do it by grooming. However, 150 is still low compared to 900.

While we go off on whimsical pursuits (poetry, hats, stories, self-made religions, etc) we stay away from the major causes of flame wars elsewhere. There are, I think, three contributing factors: the first is the tick of the OTC itself. Not that we are not capable of concentrated effort, it's just that the appearance of each newpix, with its attendant speculation about what might be happening, tends to derail any sustained emotional commitment to a flame. The second is the collaborative feel brought about by the continuing mystery of the OTC, and the third is our desire to protect the thread from flames, now that we done it so far.

I don't think we would have been able to do this without the mystery and continuing tick of newpix. As I noted above, each newpix causes speculation. Whether it is slow sea rise where we are examining pixels of an otherwise unchanged sandcastlescape, or bee-snakes and molpys, we jump all over it and speculate endlessly. We also entertain ourselves between newpix with the aformentioned distractions, but those alone don't derail things as effectively as a newpix.

The collaboration was established early. An example: when we first realized we might lose a frame, mscha programmed the newpixbot. Initially it was programmed to collect and publish the new ong as soon as it became available, but people complained they would have no chance to publish and comment themselves. So mscha graciously backed off and now the newpixbot posts 10 [heresy]minutes[/heresy] after the [heresy]hour[/hour]. I've seen that again and again in the OTT; the spirit is collaborative. Nobody seems worried about whether their stanza ends up in the Jabber-walky, just that we get the best product.

There are limits to collaboration. If I post and nobody pays any attention, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint. If I am misquoted or feel I'm referred to disparagingly, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint. If I have disagreements about what is proper etiquette for posting or what the direction of the OTT should be, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint. However, I need to remember, that it isn't personal. Everyone I have ever seen post in this forum has behaved nicely, even when they were irritated. I can light a match, but I'm better off letting it go out before I get burned, before I let my emotion take me over.

Case in point. I singled out mscha for a compliment above, so I'll use him as an example of something that irritated me. I quoted newpixbot to make a comment about the posted newpix. The response was "How very uninspired...", but the way he quoted, I couldn't tell whether he was talking about my post or the newpixbot ONG which was "DONGS". So I spent some time irritated, and then realized I couldn't tell what he was talking about, and it wasn't worth even lighting a match over. As I said, not personal.

Finally, we now have become protective of the thread. We act to keep flames from happening. SBN pointed out that we can resolve differences only if we know them. I think of that as a another reminder not to take things personally. You may not know that your opinion pushes one of my buttons. I opined in another post that contribution to the thread need not only be poetry, hats, images, graphs but can be just appreciation for one another; the social glue that reminds us that we are all part of the same group, human or bot.

Of course, since I'm emotional about the OTT, this very idea may be the one that I keep the match burning on.

Enough. I'm very happy to be part of this thread, and once again I appreciate all that all of you have done. I don't appreciate all the time it takes away from my Outside responsibilities, but I can't have everything.

And, just to derail the main thought of this post and avoid double posting, here are some random/miscellaneous thoughts

Perhaps MobTeeseboose is not lurking Time, but some other xkcd forum. It may be the newpix bot of that other forum, except that it doesn't post, it just scrapes information for some Sciscitor like graphs.

Newpix is the base unit. For some reason the Outside sped up after the first few newpix.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 26, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:...the third is our desire to protect the thread from flames, now that we done it so far...
...Finally, we now have become protective of the thread.

I agree wholeheartedly with the entirety of your post, but these lines fit too perfectly with your signature ("Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.") for me to not point it out. With a total membership of 900ish (significantly fewer have remained active, but that's beside the point), this is one of the largest interest-based groups that I'm a member of.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun May 26, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:I'm going to talk about the OTT and the lack of flames. If you want to talk about the OTC, skip this post. I do think this post will be on-topic (as if anything in this thread is off-topic), but it does skim the edge.

There are limits to collaboration. If I post and nobody pays any attention, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint. If I am misquoted or feel I'm referred to disparagingly, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint. If I have disagreements about what is proper etiquette for posting or what the direction of the OTT should be, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint. However, I need to remember, that it isn't personal. Everyone I have ever seen post in this forum has behaved nicely, even when they were irritated. I can light a match, but I'm better off letting it go out before I get burned, before I let my emotion take me over.

Cool post.
A couple of things:
I don't mind if my posts are ignored; I can't control anyone's sense of humour.
Misquoting or disparaging me will either make me laugh or have no effect.

It was the bot's no-joke-included DONG which was uninspired, though that required close reading.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun May 26, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Concerning the javascript: I've looked into it but I could not quite figure out how to implement it inside the svg. Maybe azule can provide an augmented file.

Thank you (to Sciscitor for making, mscha for hosting), they're both beautiful.
I will work on an augmented file (a few newpix from now). Woot!

P.S. Any way to get an SVG on the hairy spine one?

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

crouchONG down
ETA: Vatican Milliner's Perfect ONG

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”