1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time" - Matches and the Persistence of Emotion

Postby mscha » Sun May 26, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:I'm going to talk about the OTT and the lack of flames. <snip>

Good stuff...
Just wanted to quickly confirm that ...
ttscp wrote:Case in point. I singled out mscha for a compliment above, so I'll use him as an example of something that irritated me. I quoted newpixbot to make a comment about the posted newpix. The response was "How very uninspired...", but the way he quoted, I couldn't tell whether he was talking about my post or the newpixbot ONG which was "DONGS". So I spent some time irritated, and then realized I couldn't tell what he was talking about, and it wasn't worth even lighting a match over. As I said, not personal.

... this was about newpixbot's DONG. I'm sorry if I didn't make that obvious.

Edit: from me and newpixbot for y'all

Edit: replace cake with one without unknown (and possibly offensive?) Chinese characters.
Last edited by mscha on Mon May 27, 2013 8:51 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Quite the milestone, mscha!

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Good stuff...
ttscp wrote:Case in point. I singled out mscha for a compliment above, so I'll use him as an example of something that irritated me. I quoted newpixbot to make a comment about the posted newpix. The response was "How very uninspired...", but the way he quoted, I couldn't tell whether he was talking about my post or the newpixbot ONG which was "DONGS". So I spent some time irritated, and then realized I couldn't tell what he was talking about, and it wasn't worth even lighting a match over. As I said, not personal.

Happy thousandth post, mscha! Dang, you've been pretty active.
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sun May 26, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Good stuff...

Thanks. I did figure that out, eventually, at least partially because I've seen enough of your posts to know that you don't disparage that way. I hope you don't mind my using it as an example.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun May 26, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:So why don't we flame?

I agree with all this, but it is also possible that the landlord (GLR) employ's this guy to have a quiet word with the trolls.
Spoiler:
clash_of_the_titans_09.jpg

Just kidding. The only time someone came close to lighting my afterburner was by saying they didn't really like potatoes. My ideal meal is 3 kinds of chicken and 9 kinds of potatoes. Otherwise I'm quite mild mannered (if curmudgeonly).
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

pelrigg

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 26, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

Megan, puullleease don't try to feed the cute lil' fella out of your hand. Especially for the first few handfuls. Toss some on the ground and pull back. Then do it again. You don't know when he might take a chunk out of your hand. (A wild animal no matter how cute is still wild...)

ttscp that was a thought provoking article for all of us. Thank you. And they were words of encouragement for anyone who feels that somehow they aren't being heard in this calliope of wonderment.

mcsha: Congrats on 1000.....
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:Megan, puullleease don't try to feed the cute lil' fella out of your hand. Especially for the first few handfuls. Toss some on the ground and pull back. Then do it again. You don't know when he might take a chunk out of your hand. (A wild animal no matter how cute is still wild...)

And [molpy]squirrel bites can be pretty nasty. My father still has the scar on his thumb from a squirrel bite he got when he was a child. He was trying to feed the squirrel...

RUN, MEGAN! RUN!!!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sun May 26, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
pelrigg wrote:re Total forum posts: And other than some 'miscellaneous' style threads and some game thread, don't *We* have the highest page count?
Yeah Us

The record for highest count on the forum that I'm aware of is over 5000. Though it was in a similar spirit to some of the game threads.

Welcome, Angua, to the One True Thread. It seems you have often posted in other threads, I do not know whether you have lurked here, but know that we treat heresy harshly, with the comfy chair and S&Ms.

And, you must get this a lot, is your forum id a Pratchett reference?
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun May 26, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:... chimpanzee ...

Maybe we are all bonobos here. A friend of mine once did some research on bonobos vs chimps. It turns out that if you throw a big bunch of bananas into a bunch of chimps, the dominant male and his buddies hoard them all and then give them out for sexual favors.

Do the same in a bunch of bonobos then everyone has sex with everyone (without fear or favor) and then they all settle down and eat the bananas.

Not that I'm suggesting anything :mrgreen:, but we are just a different species here.
-- Charlie Grumbles

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 26, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:<snip> Finally, we now have become protective of the thread. We act to keep flames from happening.

Wonderful post, ttscp!

Spoiler:
FlameFree.png
FlameFree.png (93.7 KiB) Viewed 16783 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 26, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
ttscp wrote:<snip> Finally, we now have become protective of the thread. We act to keep flames from happening.

Wonderful post, ttscp!

Spoiler:
FlameFree.png

Now that should be a t-shirt design......

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

I'm ONG a roll today with these. Six ONGS, would be seven but I was ninja'd on the first attempt.
ETA number of ONGs today.
Yeezus, I've been at my computer for seven hours...
Last edited by HAL9000 on Sun May 26, 2013 10:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

edfel

Postby edfel » Sun May 26, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:I'm going to talk about the OTT and the lack of flames.

I love the analysis!
If you want to talk about the OTC, skip this post. I do think this post will be on-topic (as if anything in this thread is off-topic), but it does skim the edge.

It is one of the amazing features of this thread that we have had no flames in 28,000 posts. About 24 newpix ago, I followed a link from this thread to a light hearted article about Skynet taking over. Within two comments they were flaming.

So why don't we flame?

We have an unusual bunch here. We are articulate, intelligent, creative, xkcd followers.

... and remember that us people here have been "selected" not only because we are xkcd readers, but also because we haven't grown tired of watching a couple of guys building a sandcastle for months: it requires a certain set of mind...

However that hasn't kept flames from starting in other xkcd fora (as an example, look at them arguing in Serious Business about what the Serious Business forum should be about).

There are over 900 posters. That's usually an invitation to flame. We humans can support an effective social group of about 150 people (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number), that is way higher than chimpanzee social group size of 15 to 120 (http://www.savethechimps.org/chimp-facts) and I've seen it ascribed to our need to establish where we belong in the group (or social hierarchy) by talking, where chimps do it by grooming. However, 150 is still low compared to 900.

While we go off on whimsical pursuits (poetry, hats, stories, self-made religions, etc) we stay away from the major causes of flame wars elsewhere. There are, I think, three contributing factors: the first is the tick of the OTC itself. Not that we are not capable of concentrated effort, it's just that the appearance of each newpix, with its attendant speculation about what might be happening, tends to derail any sustained emotional commitment to a flame. The second is the collaborative feel brought about by the continuing mystery of the OTC, and the third is our desire to protect the thread from flames, now that we done it so far.

I would add a 4 and a 5: there are so many topics in this thread that even when arguments start to be raised on one, then it remains unimportant since it is only one topic among many others, so why bother arguing wholeheartedly about it? BTW I think that having a single "chatroom" instead of several sub-threads helped a lot in this direction. Another possible reason is that no topic is brought "seriously". With the OTC bringing only frames with rivers, dunes, molpies, etc, any ideological debate would be regarded as irrelevant to the "topic". And I trust GLR to keep the OTC going this way.

I don't think we would have been able to do this without the mystery and continuing tick of newpix. As I noted above, each newpix causes speculation. Whether it is slow sea rise where we are examining pixels of an otherwise unchanged sandcastlescape, or bee-snakes and molpys, we jump all over it and speculate endlessly. We also entertain ourselves between newpix with the aformentioned distractions, but those alone don't derail things as effectively as a newpix.

The collaboration was established early. An example: when we first realized we might lose a frame, mscha programmed the newpixbot. Initially it was programmed to collect and publish the new ong as soon as it became available, but people complained they would have no chance to publish and comment themselves. So mscha graciously backed off and now the newpixbot posts 10 [heresy]minutes[/heresy] after the [heresy]hour[/hour]. I've seen that again and again in the OTT; the spirit is collaborative. Nobody seems worried about whether their stanza ends up in the Jabber-walky, just that we get the best product.

There are limits to collaboration. If I post and nobody pays any attention, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint.

Since the usage here is to try and bring something new with every post (as opposed to, say, a single "lol"), it's always hard to tell when people pay attention to your post. The number of quotes tells you the number of people who found something to add, which is different from who found the post interesting/funny/good/...

<end snipped>

All in all... yep, you've pretty covered everything:)

Edit: and happy 1000th mscha and newpixbot!
Last edited by edfel on Sun May 26, 2013 10:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun May 26, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

Wonderful post, ttscp!
Spoiler:

That is very pretty. the OTT coat of arms! (or lack their of)

and I don't know if this signifies anything, but the squirlpy, living so close to the vineyard, would probably be used to humans, and thus would be less inclined to attack.
edit: moved spoiler to be around image. also, why do people tell other people that they've edited, when its something small like this? should I?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

ergman wrote:why do people tell other people that they've edited, when its something small like this? should I?

I really only do it when it's long enough after my post (I think it's one minute, but it might be until the next post is submitted) for the "edited by" bar to show up above my signature or if I'm adding information which I had to look up (such as how many ONGs I've had today). Formatting stuff doesn't really need to be announced unless the errors were thread-breaking (such as the dreaded {quote}{spoiler}{/quote}{/spoiler} ).

Also:
6 ran away from this post.
Spoiler:
This happens to be my 789th post.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Sun May 26, 2013 10:16 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Sun May 26, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm interested in the background of some of your local "handles." <snip>

A bit late to the party as usual, but I kind of answered it about a month ago:

dreiarmumig wrote:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:
dreiarmumig wrote:Ha, I only just noticed that I appear in two of the haikus. I feel so honoured! :oops:

I hope your name really is pronounced with five syllables (or is one a triphthong?) Even when I get my Mac to speak it using the very same speech synthesis I used to count the syllables (although, actually, maybe it's not using the same voice; I didn't set any parameters) I can only hear four. I'll have to look into that.
-snip-

Well, it's not really a word, it's an anagram of the German word 'Radiergummi' <snip>

Edit: Attempt at IPA: ['dʁaɪ̯ʔaʁmʊmɪç]

The anagram is a hard to explain inside joke of some of my friends' and mine. I first chose it as a Twitter username, afterwards some other places, like the OTT, followed.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 26, 2013 10:16 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Wonderful post, ttscp!
Spoiler:

That is very pretty. the OTT coat of arms! (or lack their of)

and I don't know if this signifies anything, but the squirlpy, living so close to the vineyard, would probably be used to humans, and thus would be less inclined to attack.
edit: moved spoiler to be around image. also, why do people tell other people that they've edited, when its something small like this? should I?

There were squirlpies aplenty around my last apartment complex that you could get fairly close to before they ran away (therefore more "used to humans") but I won't try to feed one right out of my hand. I'm almost hoping Cueball comes and "ruins" the moment. Better that than having to deal with infection.

re editing notes: I think I've edited 90% of my posts. Some I've mentioned what I did (esp. after someone else has posted) and some I just did the edit without saying why (esp. if it was to fix a small typo or add a ")" )

ETA (!)
I was just ninja'd by HAL9000 on the editing note.
Getting back for me getting you earlier, hmmmm? :D
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun May 26, 2013 10:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

susanoodin

Postby susanoodin » Sun May 26, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

ergman wrote: <snip> also, why do people tell other people that they've edited, when its something small like this? should I? </snip>

I tell people when and what I edit because some fora have a count how often a post has been edited. Without an explanation of what and possible why, I think that edited post are a bit ominous. What if something huge has been edited out, which other people have seen (and are later making reference to) but I haven't, thus forever wondering what I missed (I'm freakishly curious like that, sorry). Obviously however, that's all personal preference
SBN wrote: ..., but then maybe we don't know enough yet. (But that's what the start of finding out looks like.)

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Sun May 26, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

Blitzed from NP 650! I'm glad I was only away on Friday and Saturday, otherwise it would have taken me a lot more newpixes.

So, first: huge thanks to Blitzgirl for Boom de Yada v2! It's quite disturbing how glad I am to have a panel for me in there.
Oh and I kept looking for ideas for an avatar, and thanks to you there's one just awaiting for me to upload it. :D

BlitzGirl wrote:[OtherComics featuring squirpies]
Spoiler:
Wow, I coma for a few newpix and a squirpy shows up! :D Exciting!

To celebrate, here's a squirrelpy family reunion from Other Comics:
http://xkcd.com/167/ - "Hey, I found squirrels! In a neat tree! The future is an adventure!"
http://xkcd.com/1156/ - Gray squirpy and raptors, and Popeful title-text!
http://xkcd.com/635/ - Don't feed the squirpys!
http://xkcd.com/382/ - It's no trebuchet, but "It keeps squirrels off the feeder!"

And the crown jewel:
http://xkcd.com/776/ - It's all related.

From these, it can be observed that our squirpy's coloring allows it to cleverly blend in with its natural environment of semencoffeecancer, as none of the visible Other Comic squirpy-squirrels are pure black.

OMR! You introduced me to two OtherComics I didn't know (or I don't remember)! I didn't even think there was!

mscha wrote:Edit: from me and newpixbot
Spoiler:

(No idea what it says. I apologise in advance if necessary...)

Well, I learn Japanese and not Chinese, but I can tell you the first character is East and the second is North. The third I don't know, but I can try to figure it out.
Last edited by Pikrass on Sun May 26, 2013 10:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun May 26, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:FlameFree.png

Do you mind me making that my avatar?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Sun May 26, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

susanoodin wrote:
ergman wrote: <snip> also, why do people tell other people that they've edited, when its something small like this? should I? </snip>

I tell people when and what I edit because some fora have a count how often a post has been edited. Without an explanation of what and possible why, I think that edited post are a bit ominous. What if something huge has been edited out, which other people have seen (and are later making reference to) but I haven't, thus forever wondering what I missed (I'm freakishly curious like that, sorry). Obviously however, that's all personal preference

I get that, if for no other reason than I've heard that Trolls do it so that they can pretend tehy never said certain things in order to "win" arguments.

Personally, I only add why I edited after someone else has posted, and only if it is significant. I rarely not if I make a format or editing change.

As to the reason wy flamewars don't happen here: I agree with pretty much every bit of it, but would like to point out that we were already very protective of it and it's status as longest flamewar free thread way back on newpage 90 or so. I think the closest we came is still the heated discussion over blitzers between me and Mscha, and we seem to have found some kind of uncertain peace on that front.

And in other news, I can't see Hal9000's monolith anymore...
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun May 26, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
ttscp wrote:There are limits to collaboration. If I post and nobody pays any attention, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint.

Since the usage here is to try and bring something new with every post (as opposed to, say, a single "lol"), it's always hard to tell when people pay attention to your post. The number of quotes tells you the number of people who found something to add, which is different from who found the post interesting/funny/good/...

Especially since "Me, too" posts are specifically discouraged. And, the speed of this thread makes it really easy for things to get overlooked, at least initially. So, yeah, not getting any response can mean any number of things, most of them at least neutral.

For the record, I've enjoyed the poems, songs, comics, etc. more than I've expressed.

susanoodin wrote:

This one does, but if you edit before anyone else posts, the edit is not noted. But, unless it is just minor stuff, I tend to mention it. I've had a couple weird cases where I hit quote to reply, and the post in the reply box was different than what I had just read. And even more where I read something, and carried on, and someone else quoted a bit that wasn't in the post when I read it.
Edit: Fixed quotes. Ok, now I think the quotes are right.
Last edited by SBN on Sun May 26, 2013 10:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 26, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Do you mind me making that my avatar?

Go for it. Free use for all followers of the OTT/OTC. :wink:

Disclaimering:
The central flame picture was snagged off Google Images, and was made by someone named Vasyl Duda. The badge-form was inspired by firefighter logos.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Sun May 26, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
susanoodin wrote:
edfel wrote:There are limits to collaboration. If I post and nobody pays any attention, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint.

Especially since "Me, too" posts are specifically discouraged. And, the speed of this thread makes it really easy for things to get overlooked, at least initially. So, yeah, not getting any response can mean any number of things, most of them at least neutral.

For the record, I've enjoyed the poems, songs, comics, etc. more than I've expressed.

Which is one of the reasons why I don't get too upset when it seems like one of my more insightful or heartfelt posts seem to get ignored. The scond reason is that It's entirely possible that the people who would have replied to it just didn't see it. this forum moves 2-5 pages a day on a slow day. a fast day is ridiculous. The third reason is that I long ago accepted I don't get people. I don't understand them at all, and What I find funny, heartrending, insightful, etc. is often not anything that seems all that interesting to other people. What can I say? Forget trying to understand the other sex, I'm still trying to understand so much as one other person. it's gloriously frustrating, and entertainingly adventurous.
“have i gone mad?

susanoodin

Postby susanoodin » Sun May 26, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
edfel wrote:
There are limits to collaboration. If I post and nobody pays any attention, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint.

susanoodin wrote:I tell people when and what I edit because some fora have a count how often a post has been edited. Without an explanation of what and possible why, I think that edited post are a bit ominous. What if something huge has been edited out, which other people have seen (and are later making reference to) but I haven't, thus forever wondering what I missed (I'm freakishly curious like that, sorry). Obviously however, that's all personal preference

This one does, but if you edit before anyone else posts, the edit is not noted. But, unless it is just minor stuff, I tend to mention it. I've had a couple weird cases where I hit quote to reply, and the post in the reply box was different than what I had just read. And even more where I read something, and carried on, and someone else quoted a bit that wasn't in the post when I read it.

there was a missing begin quote
FTFY
SBN wrote: ..., but then maybe we don't know enough yet. (But that's what the start of finding out looks like.)

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Sun May 26, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

Me:So, there are 1375 pages in the count to a million thread.
Other person: that's a lot. I guess we won't beat them.
Me: No, that's the thing. I think we can do it. And stay as on topic as we ever have. I just hope the OTC lasts long enough to succeed.

are there any longer threads we should be looking at?
“have i gone mad?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:I think the closest we came is still the heated discussion over blitzers between me and Mscha, and we seem to have found some kind of uncertain peace on that front.

I think the closest we came to descending into flaming is either the blitzpost argument (I was a part of that one, too) and more recently, the discussion over postlengths when ketching up (I'll admit, I had to double-check my posts on that topic to make sure they weren't being outright offensive). But the fact that we've only gotten into dangerous arguments over how we should post, rather than what we're posting, says something.

Dracomax wrote:And in other news, I can't see Hal9000's monolith anymore...

It's still there, but is hard to spot if you don't know what you're looking for. It's the rectangle bounded on the top by the light (shining over its top) and on the bottom by my "eye," and is a little narrower than the panel the "eye" is mounted on. You can identify its horizontal boundaries by looking for the lighter grey of the panel on either side of it, as it's not quite as wide as the panel.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun May 26, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

susanoodin wrote:
SBN wrote:<snip>

there was a missing begin quote
FTFY

There was a lot wrong, but it is at least close now. I tried to combine responses from the preview, and it dumped the second one into the middle of the first one. I'll go back to my one at a time, and combine tabs method. If I still have attributions wrong, and someone wants their name added or removed, let me know.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

anabatica

Postby anabatica » Sun May 26, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

re: squirrels in Madagascar, there are none, however there are baobab trees on mainland Africa so they could be there instead.

Although baobab trees grow at altitudes of at least 200m, and I don't think they've climbed that high.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 26, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

slowly creepONG closer...

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sun May 26, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Blindposting from 704.
Red Hal wrote:@Eternal Density: Would this help? http://www.najle.com/idaft/idaft/
If you mean help me never get anything done ever again, then yes :D :D :D

HAL9000 wrote:@Eternal Density, BlitzGirl: the nature of the present
Spoiler:
Eternal Density wrote:
edfel wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Also, a song:
<cover of Harder Better Faster Stronger>

Perfect! Now I'll have your version in mind every time I hear it, great :)

*rubs hands together*
Success!
I mean, you're welcome :D

BlitzGirl, I'm still rocking your previous Present Present (I guess that makes it a Past Present Present) in my sig :D

It was a rather flawless gift. So wouldn't that make it a Past Perfect Present Present?

@Eternal Density: Daft Punk/Time mashups
Spoiler:
Eternal Density wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:My ketchup blitz is at and end! I have finally arrived at the present. Just in time to coma.
<snip>
As a huge Daft Punk fan, I must say, this is so wonderfully fantastic!
Congrats on completing your ketchup blitz!
And thanks, I'm glad you like it so much :
XonqNopp wrote:Nice one! :D

I think I'll do Around the World next. But it's gonna be tough.

"We wait for it, we wait for it..."

a) Yes, a Past Perfect Present Present indeed!
b) Perhaps, but I was thinking "The sea is big, the sea is big" fits the meter better.
jetpac wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Sque- Nope, that's enough bearing witness, or I'll have to hide from the bears in witness protection.

(blindposting from page 698)

See, this is what good wordplay looks like. Not page after page of bag puns.
The attachment smiley-applause.gif is no longer available

*bows*
And yes that's good advice.
th_bears_repeating.gif
th_bears_repeating.gif (125.88 KiB) Viewed 16582 times

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:A bit late, but it's never to late to call out heresy.
Eternal Density wrote:Oh, there's a 'some' which it may or not be okay to take. I don't think it's a vineyard, but maybe a vine0.9144metres

Heretic!
Approximately half a vinecue.

Honestly, I'm not sure I understand this, so I chose not to pursue it. If you want to take care of it, I'll deputize you to the inquisition.

Eternal Density converts a vineyard to metric. That would be a wise and sensible thing to do in the Outside, but since this vinemeasurement is in the OTC, it is highly heretic.
But OK, I'll take this one. Eternal Density, please make yourself comfortable in the Comfty Sofa. Do you have any preference for type of chocolate or other sweets you want to be mildly pelted with?
Whoops, I wasn't thinking properly! I fully accept a pelting as my due. Here is my choice of ammunition.
Also I had some trouble quoting the above post, as there was either a misplaced tag or else the forum was misplacing the tags when quoting but I managed to figure it out.
[ninjaedit] Argh I got ONG-spoilered! There's a beautiful tree and zoom-on-Megan! Can't wait to ketchup.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun May 26, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

Hoping this current scene ends well, but Megan was on a quest to gather food. Maybe she read Stalking the Wild Molpy earlier in life.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sun May 26, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
htom wrote:I suggest well-tempered chocolate and marshmallows.

OK, Eternal Density will be gently pelted with well-tempered chocolate marshmallows, accompanied by music from Bach's well-tempered clavier.
Spoiler:
Oh, I hadn't realised there was already a suggestion when I posted above. But I'd still prefer the Lindt if possible :P Also, I recognise the title of one of my brother's piano music books :D
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sun May 26, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

Just a quick Mayo BlindPost from page 709:

ucim wrote:
Exodies wrote:Boy that was hard to do on my Paddy, hopes it works out.
Perhaps not the way you intended.

Since your interstitial replies are included inside an overall quote, they are easy to miss. I did in fact miss them the first time around.

Oh, THIS! I didn't even know Exodies was leaving replies inside of quotes, I totally missed them!

*Goes back to read.*
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun May 26, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
pelrigg wrote:re Total forum posts: And other than some 'miscellaneous' style threads and some game thread, don't *We* have the highest page count?
Yeah Us

The record for highest count on the forum that I'm aware of is over 5000. Though it was in a similar spirit to some of the game threads.

Dracomax wrote:Me:So, there are 1375 pages in the count to a million thread.
Me: No, that's the thing. I think we can do it. And stay as on topic as we ever have. I just hope the OTC lasts long enough to succeed.

I just looked at a couple of Thread Groups. I didn't see Angua's example, but in the General Category there are:
"unwashed dishes and toilet paper tubes" at 82660 posts with 2067 pages
1st post:
rachel wrote:So instead of creating a new thread every time something crosses through your head (which you are all very inclined to do, from what I've noticed), I thought we'd have a thread here for random thoughts so that a whole lot of space isn't wasted on pointless threads.

A miscellaneous thread.
& "Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out" at 37970 posts with 950 pages; last new post on Mar. 28, 2013
1st post:
Lani wrote:Open yourself up. Reveal your darkest secrets.

Another miscellaneous thread.

So, again, the question I'm asking/refining is: "Are we the largest single topic thread (other than those game threads)?
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun May 26, 2013 11:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun May 26, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

I was looking at SBN's avatar and wondering. In the Stone Age dogs prolly understood what we were doing most of the time but now, well, look at SBN staring at a man holding a camera. What can he possibly make of that?
Compare it to us staring at C&M with no idea what's going through their heads or how they socialise, or what their relationship is.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Sun May 26, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

Spoilered for quoteblock
pelrigg wrote:
Spoiler:
Angua wrote:
Yeah Us

Dracomax wrote:Me:So, there are 1375 pages in the count to a million thread.

I just looked at a couple of Thread Groups. I didn't see Angua's example, but in the General Category there are:
"unwashed dishes and toilet paper tubes" at 82660 posts with 2067 pages
1st post:
rachel wrote:So instead of creating a new thread every time something crosses through your head (which you are all very inclined to do, from what I've noticed), I thought we'd have a thread here for random thoughts so that a whole lot of space isn't wasted on pointless threads.

A miscellaneous thread.
& "Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out" at 37970 posts with 950 pages; last new post on Mar. 28, 2013
1st post:
Lani wrote:Open yourself up. Reveal your darkest secrets.

Another miscellaneous thread.

So, again, the question I'm asking/refining is: "Are we the largest single topic thread (other than those game threads)?

I don't know if we are single topic, so much as single topic(ish). I'd just like to point out that that random thoughts thread has been going for26280 Timeframes [heretic]3 years[/heretic]. In 1631 Timeframes,[heretic]two months[/heretic] we are already at around 1/4 the number of pages. I actually do think we can beat them.
and not lose sight of the OTC while doing it.

Now, let's all feed some squirrelpies!(does the way we name these animals remind anyone else of Avatar: the last Airbender?)
“have i gone mad?

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sun May 26, 2013 11:22 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
ttscp wrote:I'm going to talk about the OTT and the lack of flames.

I love the analysis!
If you want to talk about the OTC, skip this post. I do think this post will be on-topic (as if anything in this thread is off-topic), but it does skim the edge.

It is one of the amazing features of this thread that we have had no flames in 28,000 posts. About 24 newpix ago, I followed a link from this thread to a light hearted article about Skynet taking over. Within two comments they were flaming.

So why don't we flame?

We have an unusual bunch here. We are articulate, intelligent, creative, xkcd followers.

... and remember that us people here have been "selected" not only because we are xkcd readers, but also because we haven't grown tired of watching a couple of guys building a sandcastle for months: it requires a certain set of mind...

Very much this! A certain set of mind.

Curious patient people.

Including, many creative people patient enough to handle the 95% perspiration part.

(I've observed in the past that most remarkably patient people have a story of why they are that way, and those stories vary amazingly. Might be a good future topic to get into... but not now, when events in the OTC are happening so fast, as Megan and the wild squirpy close the gap between them at breakneck speed!)
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Sun May 26, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Curious patient people.

I think you mean "Wholly batshit insane and prime candidates to be committed for psych evaluation".

But close enough.
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sun May 26, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:I was looking at SBN's avatar and wondering. In the Stone Age dogs prolly understood what we were doing most of the time but now, well, look at SBN staring at a man holding a camera. What can he possibly make of that?
Compare it to us staring at C&M with no idea what's going through their heads or how they socialise, or what their relationship is.

Well, she was looking beyond the lady with the camera, to the human she most adores in the whole wide world. (Not me, I was off to the side, holding leashes.)
I think most of what they make of things is "Will there be treats?" They are incredibly accepting of being asked to do things they can't possibly understand. Cars, elevators, whole new families, since I get all my dogs used.

Some Ways to Time

rmcurtis

Postby rmcurtis » Sun May 26, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:slowly creepONG closer...

Hmm, I do believe there is a UMO (unidentified molpy object) jumping at the squirrel. Even Megan is backing away slightly in this frame. What is that thing???

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”