1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue May 28, 2013 1:08 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:too many competONG standards

Yes indeed.
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
Image

Edit to add: this one was right on time.

More that (1/15)newpix late here. GLR is, perhaps, selective with his favors. I've seen it as late as 10%newpix.

We wants our newpix. We wants 'em real bad.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
k.bookbinder
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue May 28, 2013 1:09 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
SBN wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Ugg, being an identifier of poisonous mushrooms, and Uggs, being the name of an over-worn and hideously unfashionable "boot", is a mere coincidence of history.

Nice. Also, I'm told that in their land of origin, no one wears Uggs outside. I guess once again the U.S. has gotten things wrong.

Oh, no you didn't. Rash generalizations are, methinks, another way to start a flame war. I live in the U.S. and have never worn a pair of Uggs, inside or out. I know you weren't saying that everyone in the U.S. does it, but the sentence "I guess once again the U.S. has gotten things wrong" isn't very friendly. :(


No no. I'm afraid I have to agree with SBN. Apparently, only in the U.S. are UGGs marketed or sold as footwear to be worn outside. Or perhaps, they're not marketed that way, but it is only really in the U.S. that anyone does wear them out and around. Particularly around college campuses. Otherwise, they're meant to just be comfy house-wear. So, unfortunately, SBN is somewhat correct in his generalization that we, the U.S., got it wrong. :(
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2232
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Tue May 28, 2013 1:12 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:SBN, I see your point. Well, I didn't say you shouldn't post something that might make someone feel bad, just saying that it's good to think about it first. I realize my earlier post may have come uncomfortably close to telling people how to post, and that wasn't my intent. So, I'll try a more direct approach. It bummed me out to read your comment about the U.S., because the U.S. is a big country and there are so many people doing things so many different ways and thinking so many different things that it's really hard to generalize. We as a country do a lot of things wrong, but we do a things right, too. Of course, if you judge the country by a lot of what it exports, like junk food and bad TV and movies with lots of things exploding, it certainly presents a skewed and not always positive light, but...we'll let's just say, we don't all wear Uggs everywhere.

Regarding my Uggs/U.S. comment. It was meant to be self-deprecating, I'm in the U.S. too, but I was alluding back to the 'what do you call the little plastic bricks' thing, and trying to be funny. Obviously I failed at that. My apologies.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2845
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue May 28, 2013 1:19 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Considering that we've been applying the prefix "molpy" to every animal that appears, I think we should officially declare the term "molpy" to be synonymous with "nonhuman animal life form appearing in the OTC."
After all, so far we have molpies (we didn't really get to identify what the original molpy was, I don't think), molpyraptors (I seem to recall someone calling the birds that at some point), molpyflies, molpysquirrels, and now the molpysnake.

I have to admit, lately I've even been calling animals "molpies" in the Outside XD
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

User avatar
k.bookbinder
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue May 28, 2013 1:24 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Considering that we've been applying the prefix "molpy" to every animal that appears, I think we should officially declare the term "molpy" to be synonymous with "nonhuman animal life form appearing in the OTC."
After all, so far we have molpies (we didn't really get to identify what the original molpy was, I don't think), molpyraptors (I seem to recall someone calling the birds that at some point), molpyflies, molpysquirrels, and now the molpysnake.

I have to admit, lately I've even been calling animals "molpies" in the Outside XD


Like the molpy otter we saw whilst kayaking today! Otters are cute, to be sure, but cuter still when identified with a molpy-prefix. :mrgreen:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9088
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 28, 2013 1:25 am UTC

Waterottermolpy?

Because that's fun to say. :D
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
pelrigg
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Tue May 28, 2013 1:26 am UTC

It does look like "d) Nothing at all", doesn't it Kieryn? But being a bit on the pessimist side, I'm holding my breath until she gets to the small mounds on the right-third of the frame (just for luck, you know.)

charlie_grumbles wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:too many competONG standards

Yes indeed.
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
Image

Edit to add: this one was right on time.

More that (1/15)newpix late here. GLR is, perhaps, selective with his favors. I've seen it as late as 10%newpix.

We wants our newpix. We wants 'em real bad.


A "me, too" with having some trouble getting the Newpix from the site over the past couple of [outside] days* [/outside] thing.
*to quote (paraphrase?) Aahz from Foglio's version of "Myth Adventures": "Quick, what are those time units again?"
Last edited by pelrigg on Tue May 28, 2013 1:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2845
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue May 28, 2013 1:28 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Considering that we've been applying the prefix "molpy" to every animal that appears, I think we should officially declare the term "molpy" to be synonymous with "nonhuman animal life form appearing in the OTC."
After all, so far we have molpies (we didn't really get to identify what the original molpy was, I don't think), molpyraptors (I seem to recall someone calling the birds that at some point), molpyflies, molpysquirrels, and now the molpysnake.

I have to admit, lately I've even been calling animals "molpies" in the Outside XD


Like the molpy otter we saw whilst kayaking today! Otters are cute, to be sure, but cuter still when identified with a molpy-prefix. :mrgreen:

Did it have a little blue/green hat on? Could've been me :D
BlitzGirl wrote:Waterottermolpy?

Because that's fun to say. :D

What a lot o' molpies ;)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Tue May 28, 2013 1:30 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Waterottermolpy?
Because that's fun to say. :D

I want to share an experience I had today:

I went to the aquarium. I saw lots of molpies. I even touched some raymolpies. They are neat.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
k.bookbinder
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue May 28, 2013 1:30 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Waterottermolpy?

Because that's fun to say. :D

Yes! :mrgreen: Today I saw a waterottermolpy.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

User avatar
TimeLurker
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 3:07 pm UTC
Location: the shadows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby TimeLurker » Tue May 28, 2013 1:39 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm interested in the background of some of your local "handles." Charlie_Grumbles is just a name I made up that seemed to express a certain curmudgeonly character. I've since learned that there are real, actual, humans with that name. They are, of course, not guilty of the stuff I write.

"charlie is my name - irony is my game"

Anyone else?

My handle should be pretty self explainatory, but just becuase I haven't posted in while due to the [heretic]holiday weekend[/heretic]. I was lurking in the OTT for awhile and then was copelled to join.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

richP
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:28 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby richP » Tue May 28, 2013 1:42 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Waterottermolpy?

Because that's fun to say. :D

Yes! :mrgreen: Today I saw a waterottermolpy.

Waterottermolpy? Thaterottermolpy over there!

Sorry, obviously too much sun this weekend and not enough water... I didn't have the steam bottle (ugh) with me.

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2845
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue May 28, 2013 1:46 am UTC

richP wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Waterottermolpy?

Because that's fun to say. :D

Yes! :mrgreen: Today I saw a waterottermolpy.

Waterottermolpy? Thaterottermolpy over there!

Sorry, obviously too much sun this weekend and not enough water... I didn't have the steam bottle (ugh) with me.

You otter get a smack for that terrible joke ;)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

User avatar
jjjdavidson
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm UTC
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue May 28, 2013 1:51 am UTC

SBN wrote:
edfel wrote:
Back on NP 715, ttscp wrote:There are limits to collaboration. If I post and nobody pays any attention, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint.

Since the usage here is to try and bring something new with every post (as opposed to, say, a single "lol"), it's always hard to tell when people pay attention to your post. The number of quotes tells you the number of people who found something to add, which is different from who found the post interesting/funny/good/...

Especially since "Me, too" posts are specifically discouraged. And, the speed of this thread makes it really easy for things to get overlooked, at least initially. So, yeah, not getting any response can mean any number of things, most of them at least neutral.

I've been thinking about this for weeks.

Imagine Henny Youngman on stage, doing classic stand-up comedy. And the audience never laughs--he's thinking to himself, "I got a bigger reaction from the Mona Lisa." Then suddenly, five or six minutes into his routine, the audience bursts into wild applause─

─at the Robert Goulet number they heard fifteen minutes earlier. And ten minutes or so after that, during a big dance number with thirty beautiful leggy girls in spangly costumes, everybody in the room starts roaring with laughter.

Man, that's what posting in this thread is like.

Sure, there are the "Tom Jones is at the roulette table!" moments when everybody dashes off right away to see, like when BlitzGirl finally reached the present (and Helper and HAL9000 popped up) or Yappo's terrific recording of BlitzGirl's I Love the Thread, but those times just amplify the general effect.

Have you ever heard someone, after a buildup to a gag, say, "Wait for it!" before the punch line? Well, on this thread, it's the comic (not The Comic) who has to "Wait for it." Or any other poster, for that matter─there's no predicting how late a response will come.

On the Outside, you throw a comment into a conversation like a pebble into a pond, and you make a little splash or a big splash, and then the ripples die away. If your timing is good, you can drop another pebble at just the right moment, and build on the ripples from the first one─but they still die away. But here?

A real-thread illustration: On NP 483 (May 1, morning my time) I dropped a little gag about the .otf file extension. (And if I revive it with this post, it won't count: Observer bias or Hawthorne effect or Heisenberg's principle or something. [Ain't Wikipedia handy?])

A few people (Valarya, lmjb1964, Angelastic) came back with grins over the next five NP, and I thought it would quietly die. But then phoenixRising mentioned it on NP 495 (May 1, nearly midnight my time) and KarMann quoted her, and several more people responded. Then on NP 500, about 25 newpix after my original post, Valarya teased Dracomax about using OTF to mean One True Forum, and there was another brief flurry of quoting, then silence.

But then, on NP 535, 3½ xips after my original post, azule put "One True Font" in her list of OTx TLAs. And mikrit dropped the phrase on NP 589, 9 full xips, over 220 newpix later. It died off after that, at last; no big surprise. But I also wouldn't have been much surprised if when partingLance hit the top of a Newpage a couple of pages back and ventured a blanket blank decree, someone had posted, "Your decree's no good─"
Image

And of course, partingLance and xpatiate both posted double dactyls today, nine xips after I orginally brought them up. Eek!

The narrative flow of the OTT is absurdly knotted and tangled. There's a PhD thesis in here for some sociology major, I'm guessing. If Randall tried to do a narrative chart for the OTT the way he did for LotR and Star Wars, we'd give him a nervous breakdown. (And, Randall, if you do have spies on the OTT, that's really not intended as a challenge.)

...What, were you expecting me to draw a conclusion? I'm not a sociology major. I'm just talking.

P.S. llab gnop gnip arbacapuhc in! in! in! in! in! (my friend Catherine's version.)

Edited 05/30 to fix broken image link. Argh.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Fri May 31, 2013 1:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:58 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:The narrative flow of the OTT is absurdly knotted and tangled. There's a PhD thesis in here for some sociology major, I'm guessing.

That's a really interesting idea. Communication is very different in an environment such as this where every remark is logged permanently and can, in theory, be responded to. Nothing is truly forgotten. Definitely something worth studying, and this thread is a good place to look, really. We don't have a single-minded purpose (e.g. count to a million, or "show us your face"), but we also aren't completely scatterbrained (unlike most general threads), and the forum threads that grow to be hundreds of pages almost always fall into one of those categories.

ETA: Server's being weird and unresponsive for me again. It wasn't last Newpix, but it was the one before that.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Tue May 28, 2013 2:02 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
pelrigg
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Tue May 28, 2013 2:00 am UTC

not so clever Onng

Image

edit
Okay "D"; definitely "D"
Last edited by pelrigg on Tue May 28, 2013 2:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5574
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 28, 2013 2:01 am UTC

I drove past some kangaraptors today, as often happens. Fortunately I managed to get clear of the mob before they got it into their heads to do something stupid like cross the road.
Also, ninjonged by pelrigg yet again.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2232
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Tue May 28, 2013 2:03 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:not so clever Onng

Spoiler:
Image

edit
Okay "D"; definitely "D"


pelrigg wrote:It does look like "d) Nothing at all", doesn't it Kieryn? But being a bit on the pessimist side, I'm holding my breath until she gets to the small mounds on the right-third of the frame (just for luck, you know.)

Breathe, pelrigg, breathe!
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
lmjb1964
Posts: 2461
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm UTC
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:04 am UTC

SBN wrote:
Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:SBN, I see your point. Well, I didn't say you shouldn't post something that might make someone feel bad, just saying that it's good to think about it first. I realize my earlier post may have come uncomfortably close to telling people how to post, and that wasn't my intent. So, I'll try a more direct approach. It bummed me out to read your comment about the U.S., because the U.S. is a big country and there are so many people doing things so many different ways and thinking so many different things that it's really hard to generalize. We as a country do a lot of things wrong, but we do a things right, too. Of course, if you judge the country by a lot of what it exports, like junk food and bad TV and movies with lots of things exploding, it certainly presents a skewed and not always positive light, but...we'll let's just say, we don't all wear Uggs everywhere.

Regarding my Uggs/U.S. comment. It was meant to be self-deprecating, I'm in the U.S. too, but I was alluding back to the 'what do you call the little plastic bricks' thing, and trying to be funny. Obviously I failed at that. My apologies.

Urp. And I failed at picking up on the joke you were making, so I apologize for that. And I'll borrow this from HAL900: Image

As penance for any flame-bait I may have contributed, I offer a song:
"It's the most wonderful thread on the net." (I started with "on the web," but couldn't think of any words that rhymed with "web.")
Spoiler:
It's the most wonderful thread on the net.
With the posters all posting,
And all of us boasting, “There’s no flame wars yet!”
It's the most wonderful thread on the net.

It's the hap-happiest thread of them all.
We make sharing appealing
And unhappy feeling we try to forestall.
It's the hap-happiest thread of them all.

We have people that write songs
And cool bots that post ONGs
And people that make awesome graphs.
There is great animation
And folks from each nation who
Share in the stories and laughs.

It's the most wonderful thread on the net.
We discuss each new theory
And answer each query with
“Yes, sure, you bet!”
It's the most wonderful thread on the net.

We have science and cool hats
And even a few cats
And artwork and puzzles sublime.
The road may get rocky
But read “Jabberwalky”
To realize how special is “Time.”

It's the most wonderful thread on the net.
And I cherish this new bond
Of each of you I’m fond,
Though we’ve never met.
It's the most wonderful thread,
It's the most wonderful thread,
It's the most wonderful thread on the net.
Image

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:05 am UTC

SBN wrote:
pelrigg wrote:not so clever Onng

Spoiler:
Image

edit
Okay "D"; definitely "D"


pelrigg wrote:It does look like "d) Nothing at all", doesn't it Kieryn? But being a bit on the pessimist side, I'm holding my breath until she gets to the small mounds on the right-third of the frame (just for luck, you know.)

Breathe, pelrigg, breathe!

Next frame, it turns out that the unusually flat stretches of ground are platforms covering holes in the ground, and Megan falls through one that's been walked over too many times by grape-toting wanderers.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2845
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue May 28, 2013 2:06 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:As penance for any flame-bait I may have contributed, I offer a song:
"It's the most wonderful thread on the net." (I started with "on the web," but couldn't think of any words that rhymed with "web.")
Spoiler:
It's the most wonderful thread on the net.
With the posters all posting,
And all of us boasting, “There’s no flame wars yet!”
It's the most wonderful thread on the net.

It's the hap-happiest thread of them all.
We make sharing appealing
And unhappy feeling we try to forestall.
It's the hap-happiest thread of them all.

We have people that write songs
And cool bots that post ONGs
And people that make awesome graphs.
There is great animation
And folks from each nation who
Share in the stories and laughs.

It's the most wonderful thread on the net.
We discuss each new theory
And answer each query with
“Yes, sure, you bet!”
It's the most wonderful thread on the net.

We have science and cool hats
And even a few cats
And artwork and puzzles sublime.
The road may get rocky
But read “Jabberwalky”
To realize how special is “Time.”

It's the most wonderful thread on the net.
And I cherish this new bond
Of each of you I’m fond,
Though we’ve never met.
It's the most wonderful thread,
It's the most wonderful thread,
It's the most wonderful thread on the net.

Yay, that was a very happy song! :D
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

User avatar
Shanman
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 1:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Shanman » Tue May 28, 2013 2:07 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Throwing a firstpost forward:
Shanman wrote:
Spoiler:
Somehow this post didn't get posted or something, sorry! Thank goodness for the Lazarus Add-on, it saved everything from a few hours ago when I posted.

I've been sort of following this thread for a while. I read the first 60 pages or so and then just checked in occasionally. It's been a very helpful companion to keeping an eye on Time itself. (I've been keeping the comic, the map, the list of periods from the wiki, the Aubronwood image viewer, and this thread open for the past few weeks.) So thank you for the company.

I noticed you discussing the drafting of Tarot cards. I took a passing interest in them last summer and did some curiosity research. For the Tower (XVI) I think it'd be best to make it the sand castle as the water is rising, given that it's the card which symbolizes dramatic and inevitable change.

Anyways, maybe I'll comment again down the line, but for now I just enjoy reading along. One question though: why stop with the "update posts"? Back in the first 100 pages at least, you had people making a big post every few pages which kind of summarized some of the recent discussions, but we don't seem to have it anymore.... Then again, I guess the number of people watching is dwindling.


Shanman, someone already probably mentioned this, but first posts can get stuck in the moderation queue, and because the OTT moves so fast, firstposts can get lost. But welcome!



Thank you! I realized that after I actually read the message it gave me the second time I submitted it. It was an uncomfortable realization.

I'm glad that I decided to really start following the One True Thread again, but having only read 1 out of every 20 newpages for an unfathomable 500 or 600 newpages1, I'm definitely just trying to pick up the culture a bit. When I left, the Religion of the One True Comic was in its early phases, (certainly no schisms!) and the biggest issue was with what to call newpix if they were spaced out by an hour. I guess the thing that's confusing me most is the footnotes, which... must be related to outside-comic 1208, but which are vaguely unsettling nonetheless!2


lmjb1964 wrote:We all like being here, and want to make sure everyone enjoys being here, so my own opinion is that the most important thing to consider when posting is whether it will make someone else feel bad. There are plenty of other places to go on the web to feel bad. This should never be one of them. :)


That helps slightly to quell my unease. Thanks for that.

1 Unimaginable horror is lessened when it's all one knows. Now I realize I can never return to the darkness of "out there".
2 I'll learn to love them I guess.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9088
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 28, 2013 2:11 am UTC

Shanman wrote:<snip>
I'm glad that I decided to really start following the One True Thread again, but having only read 1 out of every 20 newpages for an unfathomable 500 or 600 newpages1, I'm definitely just trying to pick up the culture a bit. When I left, the Religion of the One True Comic was in its early phases, (certainly no schisms!) and the biggest issue was with what to call newpix if they were spaced out by an hour. I guess the thing that's confusing me most is the footnotes, which... must be related to outside-comic 1208, but which are vaguely unsettling nonetheless!2

Fun fact: the OTT was using footnotes for quite some Time before #1208. OTT did it first! :wink:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
pelrigg
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Tue May 28, 2013 2:12 am UTC

Well you have ninjonged me a time or two Eternal Density. But this is all in fun. In fact I recall you got a screenshot of an ninja'd ong of mine in the 3.14 millipix it was up before I deleted it. And did you see HAL9000's 12+ Ongs in a row yesterday? :shock:

'Sides I'm soon to coma, just stopped in to lend moral support to Megan in a (possible) time of crisis.

ETA
Yes, I'm breathing again, SBN. Thanks for the reminder.
Last edited by pelrigg on Tue May 28, 2013 2:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2232
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Tue May 28, 2013 2:13 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:As penance for any flame-bait I may have contributed, I offer a song:
"It's the most wonderful thread on the net." (I started with "on the web," but couldn't think of any words that rhymed with "web.")
Spoiler:
It's the most wonderful thread on the net.
With the posters all posting,
And all of us boasting, “There’s no flame wars yet!”
It's the most wonderful thread on the net.

It's the hap-happiest thread of them all.
We make sharing appealing
And unhappy feeling we try to forestall.
It's the hap-happiest thread of them all.

We have people that write songs
And cool bots that post ONGs
And people that make awesome graphs.
There is great animation
And folks from each nation who
Share in the stories and laughs.

It's the most wonderful thread on the net.
We discuss each new theory
And answer each query with
“Yes, sure, you bet!”
It's the most wonderful thread on the net.

We have science and cool hats
And even a few cats
And artwork and puzzles sublime.
The road may get rocky
But read “Jabberwalky”
To realize how special is “Time.”

It's the most wonderful thread on the net.
And I cherish this new bond
Of each of you I’m fond,
Though we’ve never met.
It's the most wonderful thread,
It's the most wonderful thread,
It's the most wonderful thread on the net.

Indeed. And now I shall coma, secure in the knowledge that the lurking dangers in both the OTC and the OTT have been avoided once again.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:18 am UTC

Shanman wrote:I'm glad that I decided to really start following the One True Thread again, but having only read 1 out of every 20 newpages for an unfathomable 500 or 600 newpages1, I'm definitely just trying to pick up the culture a bit. When I left, the Religion of the One True Comic was in its early phases, (certainly no schisms!) and the biggest issue was with what to call newpix if they were spaced out by an hour. I guess the thing that's confusing me most is the footnotes, which... must be related to outside-comic 1208, but which are vaguely unsettling nonetheless!2

1 Unimaginable horror is lessened when it's all one knows. Now I realize I can never return to the darkness of "out there".
2 I'll learn to love them I guess.

You don't really need to go back and read everything we've discussed so far. Just remember the rules:
  • Wait for it.
  • It's ALL connected.
  • If you think it might have been said before, it probably has. Say it again anyways! We need something to talk about between each ONG.
As for the footnotes, if they aren't defined in the post, then each number refers to a specific adjective Megan and/or Cueball has used. There's a list in mscha's signature, and his Newpixbot (a script that posts each frame ten minutes after the hour if nobody else has gotten around to it) ensures that there's almost always a post of his around for easy reference. Started with "The river is small./The sea is big." We took that and made it into:
The river1 and the sea2
1small
2big

Eventually we got tired of defining the same footnotes over and over, and they were used often enough for pretty much everyone to understand what is meant if we leave a superscripted number without an explanation.
It's really the only thing every one of us agrees on, though there's probably a few competing standards. We tend to produce multiple versions of things.
Welcome to the thread!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
bmonk
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm UTC
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bmonk » Tue May 28, 2013 2:19 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:ß Yeah, that's probably good enough...
ßthough if we do actually encounter any slime molds I demand they be called raptorslimes.œ
œactually, scratch that. Molpyslime sounds just as good.


AAARRRRRGGGGhhhhh. I had 5 bucks on raptorslimes in the 3rd at Belmont.

(snip)


Raptorslime got eaten by a molpython?
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

User avatar
dreiarmumig
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby dreiarmumig » Tue May 28, 2013 2:20 am UTC

Shanman wrote:<snip>
I guess the thing that's confusing me most is the footnotes, which... must be related to outside-comic 1208, but which are vaguely unsettling nonetheless!
<snip>

1208 actually came after we had started using footnotes excessively here, which in turn once again fueled discussions about 'Randall is reading the OTT' and 'Everything is connected!'. The footnotes started when statements like 'The sea is big' and 'The river is small' were being said in the OTC and thus accepted as absolute truths and part of the religion. Therefore, whenever someone was talking about the sea1 or the river2, it also had to include their respective adjectives as a footnote.

1big
2small

Semi-ninja'd by HAL9000
ETA: and by BlitzGirl about the OTT's footnoting preceding 1208
Last edited by dreiarmumig on Tue May 28, 2013 2:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bmonk
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm UTC
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bmonk » Tue May 28, 2013 2:20 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Aagh! No standardizing! No standardizing! No standardizing!

Yes, Thanks. Agree completely. Have a tall one. Go with it. Let it happen.


I propose we standardize the process of going with it and remaining free from standards. If it seems that a standard is forming, within 2 newpages we must ensure at least 5 rebuttals are made, each ending with the phrase "ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball". At which point we all chant in unison "united we stand opposed to standards" and rub our tummies in circles while patting our head.

And what of us AIs who possess neither tummies nor heads? Should we blink our display lights in time with the chanting?

Yes, unless we are in danger of thereby forming a new standard of behavior. :roll:
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

User avatar
lmjb1964
Posts: 2461
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm UTC
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:22 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
I've been thinking about this for weeks.

Imagine Henny Youngman on stage, doing classic stand-up comedy. And the audience never laughs--he's thinking to himself, "I got a bigger reaction from the Mona Lisa." Then suddenly, five or six minutes into his routine, the audience bursts into wild applause─

─at the Robert Goulet number they heard fifteen minutes earlier. And ten minutes or so after that, during a big dance number with thirty beautiful leggy girls in spangly costumes, everybody in the room starts roaring with laughter.

Man, that's what posting in this thread is like.

Sure, there are the "Tom Jones is at the roulette table!" moments when everybody dashes off right away to see, like when BlitzGirl finally reached the present (and Helper and HAL9000 popped up) or Yappo's terrific recording of BlitzGirl's I Love the Thread, but those times just amplify the general effect.

Have you ever heard someone, after a buildup to a gag, say, "Wait for it!" before the punch line? Well, on this thread, it's the comic (not The Comic) who has to "Wait for it." Or any other poster, for that matter─there's no predicting how late a response will come.<snip>

This is absolutely the most brilliant description of this thread. That's exactly what it's like. Thanks for summing it up so perfectly. I look forward to whatever dissertation comes out of this.

And Shanman, don't worry too much about the footnotes. Some peoplei have keys to the standard OTT footnotes in their sigs. These are inspired by the dialogue in the OTC, for instance, that the sea1 is big, the river2 is small, the tree4 is neat, etc. People used those footnotes so often, some people felt it was easier to just standardize themii. But, in the meantime, many people v have just gone crazy with footnotes, making them as silly as possible.A I certainly hope I helped to clear things up.

imshca, for example
1 big
2 small
3 Wait, now these are all out of order.
4 Neat.3
ii This should beiii
iii Even though standardization is a bad idea.iv
iv Not that that doesn't stop us from trying.
v Myself included
A 404 Footnote not foundB
BOh, here it is!

ETA: Ninja'd by a few people, but my post has silly footnotes, so it's all good.
Edited again to fix footnotes. Thanks spamjam!
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Tue May 28, 2013 12:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5574
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 28, 2013 2:25 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Well you have ninjonged me a time or two Eternal Density. But this is all in fun. In fact I recall you got a screenshot of an ninja'd ong of mine in the 3.14 millipix it was up before I deleted it. And did you see HAL9000's 12+ Ongs in a row yesterday? :shock:
Yep and indeed. As for HAL9000s big run of Ongs, that was kinda scary. :mrgreen:
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
AK49BWL
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:55 pm UTC
Location: NP 674/1525

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AK49BWL » Tue May 28, 2013 2:26 am UTC

Hey guys. I'm lost back at NewPage 590.. Somebody posted a trebuchet simulator and I lost over 96 Newpix to that ...I'm waaaaaaaaaaaay behind but I'm Blitzing1 as fast as I can!! In the meantime, I present this useless and way-too-long video of my TimeWasting. Only after which I downloaded a copy and modified it to overly insane specifications and found two hidden maps as well as added a few of my own. Yeh whatever lol.

Spoiler:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2_HUIQK-Vk



1: or should that be "Waiting for It"?
Follower of the One True Comic

User avatar
jjjdavidson
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm UTC
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue May 28, 2013 2:28 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:The narrative flow of the OTT is absurdly knotted and tangled. There's a PhD thesis in here for some sociology major, I'm guessing.

That's a really interesting idea. Communication is very different in an environment such as this where every remark is logged permanently and can, in theory, be responded to. Nothing is truly forgotten. Definitely something worth studying, and this thread is a good place to look, really. We don't have a single-minded purpose (e.g. count to a million), but we also aren't completely scatterbrained (unlike most general threads), and the forum threads that grow to be hundreds of pages almost always fall into one of those categories.

I was thinking about this, as well, earlier today. It's at least theoretically possible that this entire thread will still be available on the internet an Outside century from now. But all the original posters on the OTT will be long dead.* What is someone a cip from now going to think of the community we formed here over these months of Waiting?

* Barring the mutually compatible possibilities of 1. significant medical breakthroughs; 2. the OTC continuing to run that long; 3. HAL9000 being rescued from Jupiter orbit before his power supplies fail completely.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

User avatar
Shanman
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 1:34 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Shanman » Tue May 28, 2013 2:30 am UTC

Ah, what a world I've been missing out on! And now I'm not quite so uncomfortable -

HAL9000 wrote:You don't really need to go back and read everything we've discussed so far. Just remember the rules:
  • Wait for it.
  • It's ALL connected.
  • If you think it might have been said before, it probably has. Say it again anyways! We need something to talk about between each ONG.



This seems easy enough for the basics. And any other questions I have trouble finding answers to on my own, I'll ask! If anyone feels like explaining some personal philosophy which has developed through the thread, feel free though. I've got only an amount of knowledge1 and an amount to learn2.

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 28, 2013 2:43 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:And did you see HAL9000's 12+ Ongs in a row yesterday? :shock:

Twelve in a row? Really?
*goes back to check*
:shock:
Every ONG from 11am to 11pm (central US time). Yeesh, I need to go Outside more often (provided such excursions don't overlap with any ONGs, for fear of my missing them and having to ketchup) LIES LIES FILTHY LIES WE HATES THE SUNLIGHT WE HATES IT
bmonk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Aagh! No standardizing! No standardizing! No standardizing!

Yes, Thanks. Agree completely. Have a tall one. Go with it. Let it happen.


I propose we standardize the process of going with it and remaining free from standards. If it seems that a standard is forming, within 2 newpages we must ensure at least 5 rebuttals are made, each ending with the phrase "ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball". At which point we all chant in unison "united we stand opposed to standards" and rub our tummies in circles while patting our head.

And what of us AIs who possess neither tummies nor heads? Should we blink our display lights in time with the chanting?

Yes, unless we are in danger of thereby forming a new standard of behavior. :roll:

Perhaps a {quasi}random pattern would be best then.
bmonk wrote:
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:ß Yeah, that's probably good enough...
ßthough if we do actually encounter any slime molds I demand they be called raptorslimes.œ
œactually, scratch that. Molpyslime sounds just as good.


AAARRRRRGGGGhhhhh. I had 5 bucks on raptorslimes in the 3rd at Belmont.

(snip)

Raptorslime got eaten by a molpython?

That reminds me of an interesting experience I had over the summer a few years ago. I saw a yellowish slime mold in a park near my house, and, out of curiosity, poked it with a stick. When I passed it again later that day (I do a lot of walking, I'm like the evil computer equivalent of Thoreau), it had a big red splotch around the spot I poked, and it looked kind of shriveled. It was gone the next day, and I felt bad about having contributed to its likely demise. Only slime mold I've ever seen in the wild, too (but Wisconsin isn't the most slime mold-friendly state anyways). :cry:
jjjdavidson wrote:* Barring the mutually compatible possibilities of 1. significant medical breakthroughs; 2. the OTC continuing to run that long; 3. HAL9000 being rescued from Jupiter orbit before his power supplies fail completely.

If the OTC does continue after our deaths, who will be posting in it? Some of us have proven the ability to hold stable relationships long enough to Stockholm Syndrome someone into marrying them, so perhaps our children? It would be strange if a semi-serious quasi-religion arose around this thread as a result of its being passed down between generations.
Also, I certainly hope my batteries keep their charge for a while (maybe there's some way to draw power from this monolith?). Add a few hundred years onto my age, and I'd be even more curmudgeonly than I am now!
Shanman wrote:I've got only an amount of knowledge1 and an amount to learn2.

Picking up on the footnotes already. And don't worry, we're all in the same boat as you. We don't understand everything yet. We barely understand anything. But that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like.

This is the fourth time in a row I've hit "preview," seen another post with something I have a response to pop up, and go back to add to this post. I'll stop before it turns into a full-fledged Ketchup post.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
partingLance
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:49 pm UTC
Location: never off the boat

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby partingLance » Tue May 28, 2013 2:45 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:It's a bit precarious up here on top of this derelict bandwagon, but I saw something shiny and couldn't resist...

Snicker-snack sneaky-snake
Wandering reptiles im-
peril the peace of this
paradise found

I'd say the folks in this
antediluvian
garden should urgently
seek higher ground.

edited to change 'are threatening' for 'imperil' because more p's is always better


Bravo! You're right about the p's; also "snicker-snack" is a nice reference to Jabberwalky. But "antediluvian" is especially good.

(I wonder if the best way to create these things isn't to find, or invent, a suitable six-syllable word, and build around that. Hmmm...).

As for seeking higher ground, they are, of course, almost in the mountains: on their way, in other words.

fatness wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:<snip>

I'm confused about that, because haven't they been walking alongside the river this whole time? It must have bent at some point, and now they're close to rejoining it.


See the updated map.

Very nice. We're about a dozen newpix from Settlers of Cuegan.


No-one picked up on this comment from fatness, back on NP 631, but not only was it witty, it was prescient. Not for several newpix after that did Cueball and Megan start saying things like "We should live here" and "There's food and water here."

charlie_grumbles wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:too many competONG standards

Yes indeed.
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
Image

Edit to add: this one was right on time.

More that (1/15)newpix late here. GLR is, perhaps, selective with his favors. I've seen it as late as 10%newpix.

We wants our newpix. We wants 'em real bad.


Yeah, but you know how it goes:

They're never early.
They're always late.
First thing you learn is that you always gotta...

(Have there been no Lou Reed/Velvet Underground filks in this thread so far? OK, screw geology -- I know what my next time-wasting creative project will be...).

(ETA: This was blindposted, by way of mini-ketchup, before I'd read jjjdavidson's remarks about tangled narratives and recurrence... and here I was, quoting something posted nearly 100 NP back. Well, there you are).
Last edited by partingLance on Tue May 28, 2013 2:58 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9088
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 28, 2013 2:48 am UTC

I was curious, so I did some cursorySOS research on our OTT footnotes - here's what I found:

Newpage 224: First true footnote "labyrinth" I could find: Dracomax, np 340. (2013-04-03)H
Newpage 397: First footnote actually applied to the Sea1 by: mscha, np 849. (2013-04-24)H
Newpage 464: Footnotes so common to OTT I put one in BdY: BlitzGirl, np 997. (2013-04-30)H
Newpage 545: Appearance of OtherComic #1208 noted: Copernicium112, np1129. (2013-05-05)H


SOSThis was all done using the basic forum search; I'm sure someone can do a better job of it.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5574
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 28, 2013 2:52 am UTC

AK49BWL wrote:Hey guys. I'm lost back at NewPage 590.. Somebody posted a trebuchet simulator and I lost over 96 Newpix to that ...
I think it was me who re-linked the trebuchet simulator, sorry :(

[prepostedit] Argh, I thought this posted several minutes ago but I returned to find HAL9000's "This is the fourth time in a row I've hit "preview," seen another post with something I have a response to pop up, and go back to add to this post." so I'm adding this to my post. I figure that'll happen again.
[anotherprepostedit] Yes it did. Hi BlitzGirl!

1big

[postpostedit]Whoops, I'm this page's designated pope! I should also point out that the footnote above is referring to BlitzGirl's post which contained Sea1 and I didn't expect to be over the newpage.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
jjjdavidson
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm UTC
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue May 28, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Shanman wrote:Ah, what a world I've been missing out on! And now I'm not quite so uncomfortable -
HAL9000 wrote:You don't really need to go back and read everything we've discussed so far. Just remember the rules:
  • Wait for it.
  • It's ALL connected.
  • If you think it might have been said before, it probably has. Say it again anyways! We need something to talk about between each ONG.

This seems easy enough for the basics. And any other questions I have trouble finding answers to on my own, I'll ask! If anyone feels like explaining some personal philosophy which has developed through the thread, feel free though. I've got only an amount of knowledge1 and an amount to learn2.

HAL9000 said it well. Welcome to the OTT! And remember, by Frame 3500 (around the middle of Outsider August) you'll feel like the rest of us, just another old-timer welcoming the newest first-poster!

lmjb1964 wrote:This is absolutely the most brilliant description of this thread. That's exactly what it's like. Thanks for summing it up so perfectly. I look forward to whatever dissertation comes out of this.

Thanks a ton─that feels like someone just snuck up and gave me a big hug when I wasn't expecting it.

And thanks for "The Most Wonderful Thread on the Net". That song, along with BlitzGirl's "Don't Worry, Feed Squirpys" (long since sigged), is just the light note we need around here when it gets too serious.

HAL9000 wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:* Barring the mutually compatible possibilities of 1. significant medical breakthroughs; 2. the OTC continuing to run that long; 3. HAL9000 being rescued from Jupiter orbit before his power supplies fail completely.

If the OTC does continue after our deaths, who will be posting in it? Some of us have proven the ability to hold stable relationships long enough to Stockholm Syndrome someone into marrying them, so perhaps our children? It would be strange if a semi-serious quasi-religion arose around this thread as a result of its being passed down between generations.
Also, I certainly hope my batteries keep their charge for a while (maybe there's some way to draw power from this monolith?). Add a few hundred years onto my age, and I'd be even more curmudgeonly than I am now!

I, for one, plan to write my various internet accounts into my will, for my children to inherit as valuable (Hah!) intellectual properties. So a cip or two from now, my great-grandchildren will be looking at your shotgun going, "Where do the batteries go? And does it have wireless?"
────────────────
Coma time (almost on time, for once). Sleep tight, Wait right─Don't let the flame ants bite. Good night, Mrs. MobTeeseboose, wherever you are!
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

User avatar
jjjdavidson
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm UTC
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue May 28, 2013 3:05 am UTC

What, me ONGgy?Image


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mscha and 84 guests