1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kenmelken

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Wed May 29, 2013 7:00 am UTC

Ong ong ong ong ong
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed May 29, 2013 7:11 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
slinches wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:We can always Wait some more! :D

ChronosDragon wrote:I'm near Seattle, and it's not raining.

What sorcery is this?

Okay, who took the Seattle rain and sprinkled it on everybody else?

If you find the rain Robin Hood, please tell him to send a few drops my way. We're always appreciative of a little moisture and a break in the >100F temps out here in the desert.

ETA: :idea: Maybe your dialogue dance could be adapted to attract other things, such as precipitative weather phenomena.

Doubtful. There is no weather in the OTC?.
And I don't know if any dance would be strong enough to persuade rain to visit Phoenix!.

?yet
!I attended ASU; I understand your anguish.

Wow, my brother's fiancee is from the Seattle area and went to ASU too! It really is all related.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 29, 2013 7:16 am UTC

Indeed it is! :)

I think I got spoiled by Molpyland... I miss all the little critters moving about in the newpix. Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed May 29, 2013 7:50 am UTC

I continue to do more wiki maintenance, especially, as I've mentioned before, on the periods section. I just created a rather in-depth entry for the "Wow" Baobab period and in doing so discovered the need for any available vigilant wiki contributors to help make a few more suggested pages. If you go there you'll see the red links in the entry for those which could use an entry.

EDIT: Also, I'm about to break down a few more periods and need to know what to call the period between the Vineyard period and Megan's Quest (as was proposed several NPs back as a name for her solo period, including her squirpy encounter). During the period between they discuss the markings, the people in the hills, not having found answers, and possibly heading to the mountains. It's one of the most important dialogue sequences yet and could determine largely where things are progressing. I'm proposing the "Decision Period." Any objections or alternative suggestions?
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Wed May 29, 2013 8:03 am UTC

Slightly delayed ONG:

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Wed May 29, 2013 8:05 am UTC

ketchup while on NP733/735...

What kind of a tree is that?
Spoiler:
slinches wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Let's have ONGother go at this...
ETA: Cactus? Or small palm tree-like plants?

Looks like some sort of palm to me, or a variety of yucca.

ETA: Possibly a Madagascar Palm?

My immediate thought was one of these:
P1010342_v1.JPG

This particular one live at the bottom of my garden at about 34°S 023°E and I've no idea what it is called, but it is pretty common in the indigenous forests around here. The picture doesn't really give a sense of scale: it's about 2q tall. The trunk is mostly hidden by other undergrowth, but it's really there, I swear!

edit: spoilered
Last edited by mikro2nd on Wed May 29, 2013 8:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed May 29, 2013 8:06 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Anyhow, going to perform a precipitative weather phenomena summoning ritual (of the non-dance variety), followed by a coma. Night all.

Like washing the car or cleaning the windows? Works everytime over here.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 29, 2013 8:10 am UTC

Seriously, Cuegan? You only moved about a cue in that newpix. I thought you were all rested and berried up and everything!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Swein

Postby Swein » Wed May 29, 2013 8:16 am UTC

There is no weather in OTC (so far), but I wonder what rain would look like?
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed May 29, 2013 8:22 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:I continue to do more wiki maintenance, especially, as I've mentioned before, on the periods section. I just created a rather in-depth entry for the "Wow" Baobab period and in doing so discovered the need for any available vigilant wiki contributors to help make a few more suggested pages. If you go there you'll see the red links in the entry for those which could use an entry.

EDIT: Also, I'm about to break down a few more periods and need to know what to call the period between the Vineyard period and Megan's Quest (as was proposed several NPs back as a name for her solo period, including her squirpy encounter). During the period between they discuss the markings, the people in the hills, not having found answers, and possibly heading to the mountains. It's one of the most important dialogue sequences yet and could determine largely where things are progressing. I'm proposing the "Decision Period." Any objections or alternative suggestions?

Decision Period sounds good to me.
(btw I might be doing some wiki work done this wipend...hopefully :) )
BlitzGirl wrote:Seriously, Cuegan? You only moved about a cue in that newpix. I thought you were all rested and berried up and everything!

They might not be walking slower, it's just that the np rate has accelerated during Megan's quest. The np rate will probably come back to normal if there are not many interesting features in the lands they are crossing...
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

uaeio

Postby uaeio » Wed May 29, 2013 8:24 am UTC

Just a thought: Can we calculate how high they've climbed?

We've seen references to the river in the hills (#519), people in the hills (#1021; #1057; #1469), and we've seen Megan comment with interest on the mountains (#1485). Wouldn't it be neat to have a sense of Megan and Cueball's current elevation?

The scene opens at sea level. We have zero basis to assume that the final scene of The Fading and the first scene of the First Journey Period occur at the same elevation; however, it would be interesting to know where our heroes stand at the moment, whether relative to the sea or to the first scene of The Fading.

I have neither the patience nor the technical wherewithal to line up the images since the last frame of The Fading (read: I'm moving to Hawaii in a few days and can't be fucked to line up the 700-odd strips since #972 in MS Paint), but there -has to be a way-. Then, given that the average U.S. male's height is 5'10", and assuming that Cueball is representative of the average U.S. male, do some fancy division... you know, just curious.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed May 29, 2013 8:30 am UTC

uaeio wrote:Just a thought: Can we calculate how high they've climbed?

We've seen references to the river in the hills (#519), people in the hills (#1021; #1057; #1469), and we've seen Megan comment with interest on the mountains (#1485). Wouldn't it be neat to have a sense of Megan and Cueball's current elevation?

The scene opens at sea level. We have zero basis to assume that the final scene of The Fading and the first scene of the First Journey Period occur at the same elevation; however, it would be interesting to know where our heroes stand at the moment, whether relative to the sea or to the first scene of The Fading.

I have neither the patience nor the technical wherewithal to line up the images since the last frame of The Fading (read: I'm moving to Hawaii in a few days and can't be fucked to line up the 700-odd strips since #972 in MS Paint), but there -has to be a way-. Then, given that the average U.S. male's height is 5'10", and assuming that Cueball is representative of the average U.S. male, do some fancy division... you know, just curious.

Check out edfel's glorious map that has done just that!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 29, 2013 8:36 am UTC

Sounds like you're also thinking of a panorama, uaeio, like this one azule put together:
http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=36570&mode=view
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed May 29, 2013 8:56 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
uaeio wrote:Just a thought: Can we calculate how high they've climbed?
<snip>

Check out edfel's glorious map that has done just that!

BlitzGirl wrote:Sounds like you're also thinking of a panorama, uaeio, like this one azule put together:
http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=36570&mode=view

Indeed, I based my calculations on the panoramas (actually, only the one from the delta to the dunes).

To the question "can we": yes with the panoramas, BUT there are some accuracy problems:
- 1 Cueball does not always amount to the same number of pixels (if I remember correctly, I'd say 46px+-4px). Maybe Azule scaled the frames to have constant px/Cue, but I doubt that. So to have something like a good estimation, we would need a precise average of the cue/px ratio. Without that, we may have a 10% error...
- we do have a point 0: in the fake loop around frame 1000. The problem is, point 0 here is the sea1,<insert std. fotnote for "does what it wants" here>, which... does what it wants, and thus is not a very relevant "point 0". We also know that the cliff they walk on after the delta is 7q high above the Neat River. (although a river is not a much better reference than the sea...)
- we're not completely sure that there are no gaps between frames (in particular, at some points, cuegan are at the right edge of a frame, and they move "only" to the left edge of the next one, when they should have been able to cross at least half of it). My intuition is that the gaps are negligible, but we can't be 100% sure, unless they take the same path in reverse direction, with the frames overlapping the stiches...

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Wed May 29, 2013 8:58 am UTC

- Blindpost -

Kieryn wrote:cmyk numbers. We miss you cmyk!

Yes, we do! D:

Also, alarm, alarm! Link no longer works! What happened?

I miss the Credits :(
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Wed May 29, 2013 9:02 am UTC

HellONG World!
What the Sea is happening? Did he see something?
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 29, 2013 9:04 am UTC

Hmm... why is Cuegan raising his arms?

Celebrating some triumph? Intimidating raptors with his stinky stickpits?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed May 29, 2013 9:05 am UTC

Is Queball giving up? Does he feel the trip takes to long? Does this mean the end of Time?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Wed May 29, 2013 9:05 am UTC

That is... words have left me... StratPlayer, you rock!
StratPlayer wrote:You're just a...
Waiter in the Lonely Part
(based on "Owner of a Lonely Heart" by Yes)
Spoiler:
By yourself;
You always seem to post
With no-one seeing what you do here.
Try, yourself,
to keep your mind awake --
Only MobTeeseBoose and you here.

See yourself!
Just by yourself you Wait
You, just you -- and yet you sit and stay.

Wait! Wake yourself!
Maybe the bots will say
something 'fore they go???

Waiter in the lonely part,
Waiter in the lonely part.
All alone, youre a

Say you don't want to chance it?
Maybe you'll Wait some more...

Watch it now;
Others might wander by,
You won't be the one and only.
You wait, yourself,
no, not for Randall's sake,
you just wish you weren't so lonely...
Be yourself!
You've got to take your stance:
The "Wait for it," you must heed!!!

All alone, youre a
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed May 29, 2013 9:07 am UTC

We can see in Megan's eyes that she's as astonished as us...
edit: he's actually stepping on a flat piece of we-still-don't-know-what... that would somehow confirm water, I guess.

Vytron

Re: Chapter 11 of the Gospel of tman2nd

Postby Vytron » Wed May 29, 2013 9:13 am UTC

- Blindpost -

tman2nd wrote:
Vytron wrote:RobIrr, tman2nd and other blitzers: You can do it!

Thanks! I see you've caught up with the present! I find it funny that I'm now receiving encouragement from the two former blitzers who I have given sigcouragement to in the past. I'm even depicted as encouraging these two in my panel of Blitzgirl's song. :P

Glad to see you're still ketchuping up tman2nd! :) Also, whoa! You're receiving Internets now! *gives you an Internet!*

Double posting discussion
Spoiler:
I heard someone said Double Blindposting was fine because a blitzer didn't have a way to read the last post of the page and see if it would cause a double post, but I just noticed that when Topic Review appears at the bottom of the page you're writing your message, you can just scroll down enough to see if you're still the last poster of the thread!

I'm from the people that thinks double posting is fine (can't remember when it was a problem), but have found a way to avoid doing it :wink:
Cheers Marsh'n!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed May 29, 2013 9:14 am UTC

edfel wrote:We can see in Megan's eyes that she's as astonished as us...
edit: he's actually stepping on a flat piece of we-still-don't-know-what... that would somehow confirm water, I guess.

It may be a puddle of goo.
Warning: Movie spoiler
Spoiler:
Much like the DNA goo in Prometheus. Oh no he'll change into an Architect-human hybrid
and die horribly

Edit to add spoiler.
Edit to change spoiler. It's better now
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Wed May 29, 2013 9:49 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Oripy

Postby Oripy » Wed May 29, 2013 9:15 am UTC

I think he is falling in a trap (hole in the ground) !

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:18 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Speaking of which: Kazza3, I did a search for "Aqualung" on the OTT and saw this post, which I seem to have missed the first time:
Kazza3 wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Apologies for fouling up the line from "Aqualung" . I'll donate to the fund to correct Mary's vision.

I had been wond'ring aloud about your earlier attempt.

And I see what you did there!

:D

Sciscitor wrote:Just a little byproduct of another project I am currently working on. Dumped a list of weighted1 by post count users of the OTT into http://www.wordle.net and this came out (restricted to the most heavy posters). Nothing special but I thought it would be pleasant to look at:
atu.png

I made it!

uaeio

Postby uaeio » Wed May 29, 2013 9:21 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:...just how graphic can you get with stick figures? ;)

Spoiler:

...trying my damndest. There's just no sexy in sticks.

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed May 29, 2013 9:27 am UTC

Oripy wrote:I think he is falling in a trap (mountain man with a shotgun in front of him, angry because they stole his grapes) !

FTFY :)

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Wed May 29, 2013 9:27 am UTC

- Blindpost -

Sciscitor wrote:Ok, here by popular demand: The Constellations of Time 2!

Hey! Thanks for all your work on the graphics! It's fun to surf and zoom through them to find where's everyone :)

I remember how I used to be the darkest spot on the map, and now it's a white dot! Really gives the impression that one is a star in the galaxy and it's really cool to see the movement that happened since last graph!
Cheers Marsh'n!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 29, 2013 9:31 am UTC

Oripy wrote:I think he is falling in a trap (hole in the ground) !

Molpyhole?

Spoiler:
ItsATrap.png
ItsATrap.png (8.47 KiB) Viewed 14487 times
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed May 29, 2013 9:51 am UTC

Oh noes we are all doomed!

he/him/his

uaeio

Postby uaeio » Wed May 29, 2013 9:52 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
ergman wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Let's have ONGother go at this...
Spoiler:

ETA: Cactus? Or small palm tree-like plants?

or a rip in the space-time continuum.
edit: oh. yeah I guess it looks like a pachypodium too.

~ I think I'm basically an anti-madagascarist now, out of stubborn demand for surrealism ~

Well, I'm also not of the opinion that they're in a location you could pinpoint on a globe (at least, not one of the earth), but wherever they are has a Madagascan/south central African biome.

Just throwing this out there as a possibility: the spike-leafed tree in question could be a Saw Palmetto plant. (Extract of which is allegedy great for the prostate, holla!)

According to Wikipedia (I've worked on a medicinal herb farm, but I am -not- an encyclopedia of botany), the plant grows to 3-6ft. tall "in sandy coastal lands or as undergrowth in pine woods or hardwood hammocks..." [emphasis mine].

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed May 29, 2013 10:07 am UTC

uaeio wrote:<snip>

Just throwing this out there as a possibility: the spike-leafed tree in question could be a Saw Palmetto plant. (Extract of which is allegedy great for the prostate, holla!)
Spoiler:

According to Wikipedia (I've worked on a medicinal herb farm, but I am -not- an encyclopedia of botany), the plant grows to 3-6ft. tall "in sandy coastal lands or as undergrowth in pine woods or hardwood hammocks..." [emphasis mine].

The wikipedia description fits, but not the picture: I'm positive that the one in the comic doesn't wear a hat and doesn't have an arm which it could put around its grandson....

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed May 29, 2013 10:09 am UTC

WHATAREYOUDOONG...

ETA: My first ONG! I hope I got the right link (i.e., one that won't be a spoiler later on); if not, please tell me so that I can fix it.

ETA2: Indeed, what is he doing? Maybe a molpy-dance?
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Wed May 29, 2013 10:20 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed May 29, 2013 10:10 am UTC

It's the goo! It's killing him!

he/him/his

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed May 29, 2013 10:21 am UTC

Breathing exercise?

ZoomanSP wrote:WHATAREYOUDIONG...
Spoiler:

ETA: My first ONG! I hope I got the right link (i.e., one that won't be a spoiler later on); if not, please tell me so that I can fix it.

You did perfectly ;) whenever a link's got a full row of 329b45df21etc., it cannot be a spoiler: the worst that can happen is that it is the previous frame, when the server is slow. But that's not the case here (and anyway NewPixBot checks and posts the actual newpix if there's a problem).

Swein

Postby Swein » Wed May 29, 2013 10:25 am UTC

A swarm of Molpyquitos?
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 10:25 am UTC

Coma ketchup! :D

Ace wrote:My cake bells are ringing. Why do I even have those? I don't even like cake.

All the more for us, then! :D

lmjb1964 wrote:
TheMinim wrote:I'm not even sure what I'm doing here now... or what I add to the worthiness of the OTT...

"She's getting existential again"

You add your thoughts, your comments, your colorful avatar...you're part of the community, baby. Just accept it. There's no escape now.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Just kidding, it's totally awesome!

And, he's dancing! (my theory)
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed May 29, 2013 10:27 am UTC

You avatar is surely colorful!

he/him/his

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 10:31 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:You avatar is surely colorful!

Oh, definitely. It reflects my personality (if my personality is colourful, I'm not sure on that point).
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Wed May 29, 2013 10:34 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:WHATAREYOUDOONG...
Spoiler:

My first thought was he's doing some gymnastics with his arms because they're getting a bit stiff, but I like your suggestion of a molpy-dance better :)

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Wed May 29, 2013 10:36 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:WHATAREYOUDOONG...
Spoiler:

That's what she said

But actually, what is he doing??????????????
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”