1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TheMinim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:
TheMinim wrote:<snip>
Posting the first thing that comes into my head works very well for me! :lol: :lol:

I haven't figured out how to post the first thing that comes into your head - you make it looks so easy, but for some of us it is rather difficult.

Oh, that's my secret, and I keep it in a fictional locked basement. Good luck!

Kieryn wrote:A very sad and lonely post...
Kieryn wrote:Two youtube clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYNJwpHWsBg
Is this the one direction where the OTC is heading?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn3ogzLzxuM
ETA: It's all related.

And some cake:
Spoiler:

Nobody noticed my 400th post and the cake i left there. I guess I should not have spoilered it. :cry:
Also, I must implore my fellow data-freaks to check out that 2nd video... the visualization concepts are very similar to Scisitor's work with posts and quotes on the OTT.

I noticed, but never managed to respond for some reason or another. Sorry for that! And well done!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed May 29, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:@HAL9000 - I wanted to say that from my perspective, you have really grown and matured over the course of this thread.

Oh wow. That's a pretty heavy curse to lay on a kid. Ease up.

I once asked a friend, worried about her daughter, if the kid was more or less "difficult" than she herself was at that age. I got a "knowing smile."

From the "other side of the hill": party on.

That said, SBN gave some good advice.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 29, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
@Everyone - On a similar note, we don't have the "grammar police" and "spelling police" going on that often occur in forum settings. We might have had a bit at the beginning, but truth is, those things don't really matter much (other than spelling Jabberwocky, of course. THAT'S important). I think that those types of things are largely about bullying, i.e. "you are such an idiot you don't even know how to spell _____." We all like each other too much to pick on each other that way. I think all of us have learned a lot more patience and tolerance here. I know that I have had plenty of times when I feel annoyed or hurt, and in the past I might have responded defensively. But now, this thread is too important and special, and I don't want to contribute to a negative tone. It makes it un-fun.

Side note: I also congratulate us on learning that the best way to quench a flame is to just not respond. At all. OR to write a happy song. :)

TAROT cards - I'm still ketching up, so don't know if this has gotten any further, but if the Tarot card thing is going to move forward, I would like to request that a hatted buffygirl be used (not just the hat). Several of them are on the Wikia, but not any of my favorites ... so I would have to supply something, I guess. Or I could upload them all. But that seems a bit .... self-indulgent. THANK YOU!

MWAH!

But you are an idiot if you don't know how to spell onomat onamotop onimetipi Never mind.

As for Tarot, Other than Judgement, I don't think it's gotten any farther.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 29, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

And some cake:
Spoiler:

Nobody noticed my 400th post and the cake i left there. I guess I should not have spoilered it. :cry:
Also, I must implore my fellow data-freaks to check out that 2nd video... the visualization concepts are very similar to Scisitor's work with posts and quotes on the OTT.

I noticed, but never managed to respond for some reason or another. Sorry for that! And well done!

Thanks! *feels better* :)
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote: <snip>
But you are an idiot if you don't know how to spell onomat onamotop onimetipi Never mind.

Onomatopoeia?

I never even realized I could spell it until that moment... :shock: :shock:
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 29, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

And some cake:
Spoiler:

Edit: This post would have to be at the bottom of the page. Image

I noticed it, and even watched the 2nd clip, which was very interesting. It's just another case of what we were talking about here:
yappobiscuits wrote:
SBN wrote:
edfel wrote:
ttscp wrote:There are limits to collaboration. If I post and nobody pays any attention, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint.

Since the usage here is to try and bring something new with every post (as opposed to, say, a single "lol"), it's always hard to tell when people pay attention to your post. The number of quotes tells you the number of people who found something to add, which is different from who found the post interesting/funny/good/...

Especially since "Me, too" posts are specifically discouraged. And, the speed of this thread makes it really easy for things to get overlooked, at least initially. So, yeah, not getting any response can mean any number of things, most of them at least neutral.

For the record, I've enjoyed the poems, songs, comics, etc. more than I've expressed.

Yes. It's often easy to forget that the people who quoted you are far from the only people who saw/enjoyed your post...

Like, still nobody's responded to the song I posted a few posts back which took quite a lot of work, but I'm not too disheartened as I'm sure some people did notice it and listen even if they didn't feel like commenting :)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 29, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:

And some cake:
Spoiler:

Well, for what it's worth, this is my 10000000002th post.
have some dragon cake.
Spoiler:
“have i gone mad?

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 29, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

[wonderful comment full of praise for yappo's song here] :D

Flado wrote:And just like that, the black molpy is discovered! I was wondering for quite some vigintiquatuornewpix what a molpy might be. Neat. I liked compies back when a "multi X-MP" was a supercomputer ;-)
OK, one off the list. On to sqirpies⁴...
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Have we used centicues yet? "The molpy is 5 cq high" looks more proper to me. Properer. More properer.

I should coma, but I want to see if the molpy moves some more! . Image

Oh, I had forgotten that "molpy" came about when I was severely coma-deprived. Image

Flado wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Flado wrote: - Sigged again. Exodies, you should cut down on siggable quotes! My signature would become ridiculous!

Did you mean: resigculous

I do hope you remember what you meant here, for I don't get it. And Google is no help. Unless it means that I'm sigging signatures? I try to avoid that.

See "molpy." And "sigcouragement." :wink: It's another portmanteauish word, though this one didn't catch on like the others.
I don't think it necessarily has to apply to signature recursion; for example, I would call my own signature resigculous, with all the Madness currently stuffed in there.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:

And some cake:

have some dragon cake.Image

*gapes and stares and drools and gapes forever*

ETA - Fixed... hopefully!
Last edited by TheMinim on Wed May 29, 2013 7:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed May 29, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:

Onomatopoeia?

That's OnomatopoeiaMolpy to you, bub.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed May 29, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Nobody noticed my 400th post and the cake i left there. I guess I should not have spoilered it. :cry:

Edit: This post would have to be at the bottom of the page. Image

I did watch the video but Outside Duties prevented me from responding right away and then I forgot. You are right, it is very similar to some of my work though the OTT data is - how should I phrase it - more choatictangledinteresting... and of course a lot more seaish (both in breadth as in width).

Also: I am not sure I am completley at easy with what ergman does with Eternal Density in my wordle.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Wed May 29, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:
By the way, I have another question/proposal for the community. Last night I proposed naming the period between the Vineyard Period and Megan's Quest, "The Decision Period." It was seconded and not objected to, but I'm about to make that page and beginning to think I don't like that name much anymore (even though I proposed it). Mostly, it isn't the first decision point they've had, even if a significant one. Also, most of the other periods in the Journey Eon have been named according to either their generic journeying segment number or the notable geographic features. Thus, I'm thinking about naming it something like the "Abandoned Campsite Period" instead, as that is where they are for during those frames. But then, it occurred to me that if the former residents had built a whole vineyard adjacent, it probably wasn't just a campsite, but a more long-term site of residence. So, what about the "Abandoned Habitation Period" as its name? Any other thoughts?

I agree with your second thoughts about "The Decision Period". Isn't this the period where Cueball expressed some doubt about their quest starting at about frame 1601? Something like "The Questioning the Quest Period" perhaps?
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
TheMinim wrote:

Onomatopoeia?

That's OnomatopoeiaMolpy to you, bub.

Okay, and what does 'bub' mean? (I must appear almost a stupid as Cueball the amount of questions I've asked recently!)

STOP POSTING SO I CAN POST THIS! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

ETA - Now it's posted, I'm fine.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 29, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:[wonderful comment full of praise for yappo's song here] :D

Haha, lovely, thanks :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Wed May 29, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Pet peeve: It's spelled Jabberwocky, gosh darn it!

Pet peeve: That is heresy young miss. Heresy.

I thought JabberWalky (or Jabberwalky or Jabber-walky) were all accepted variant spellings of the OTT created parody of The Jabberwocky, in accordance with the OTT's policy of never quite settling on one actual term for anything.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed May 29, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

And some cake:
Spoiler:

HAPPY 400! Oohh....One does love cake during a difficult work day. Cake and tea.

buffygirl wrote:<snip>

TAROT cards - I'm still ketching up, so don't know if this has gotten any further, but if the Tarot card thing is going to move forward, I would like to request that a hatted buffygirl be used (not just the hat). Several of them are on the Wikia, but not any of my favorites ... so I would have to supply something, I guess. Or I could upload them all. But that seems a bit .... self-indulgent. THANK YOU!

MWAH!

I did a Tarot Card back around 733, or something, but I don't think anyone noticed. Or maybe it just wasn't very good. I'd like to do more but... :oops:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 29, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:By the way, I have another question/proposal for the community. Last night I proposed naming the period between the Vineyard Period and Megan's Quest, "The Decision Period." It was seconded and not objected to, but I'm about to make that page and beginning to think I don't like that name much anymore (even though I proposed it). Mostly, it isn't the first decision point they've had, even if a significant one. Also, most of the other periods in the Journey Eon have been named according to either their generic journeying segment number or the notable geographic features. Thus, I'm thinking about naming it something like the "Abandoned Campsite Period" instead, as that is where they are for during those frames. But then, it occurred to me that if the former residents had built a whole vineyard adjacent, it probably wasn't just a campsite, but a more long-term site of residence. So, what about the "Abandoned Habitation Period" as its name? Any other thoughts?

How about "Debate at the Campsite"? Then you get both the decisionness and the geographical featureness. Rewatching that Period, I would definitely say that the debating takes a majority of it. Plus a title like that would spice up the "___ Period, ___ Period, ___ Period" titles that are filling up this era.

Preview ninja'd: ttscp's "Questioning the Quest" is a good name too. Either way, I recommend leaving off the "Period". :wink:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 29, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

And some cake:
Spoiler:

have some dragon cake.
Spoiler:

That's an actual cake??? That's awesome neat.
And a mighty congratulations... 512... That's like the 11th leyland number!!! Also awesomeneat.
Deserves a pint methinks:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Kieryn on Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:02 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Image- Kieryn

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed May 29, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:Okay, and what does 'bub' mean? (I must appear almost a stupid as Cueball the amount of questions I've asked recently!)

Bub is an americanism, possibly largely obsolete that you use in a bar when chest to chest with a big and ugly guy that thinks he is tougher than you and who says something disparaging about your sweetie. It is a form of address, not unlike un-friending. It often precedes a fight. In Maine (US State) it is sometimes pronounced Chumly.

"Ok Chumley, I think we need to step outside for a friendly chat."
Translation: die, scum, die.

Something like that. Or when I was referred to previously as "teach". I could have responded with:
That's "Professor Grumbles" to you, bub.

but we are all friends here and I didn't want to start a flame war. :twisted:
-- Charlie Grumbles

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 29, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

Chaotic Pile of Ketchup (vol 8)

Spoiler:

"Fries anyone? Ketchup crash snarls traffic in Nevada"

Volume 8 in the on-going effort to get caught up from 14 NewPages in the past...

jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:
edfel wrote:
Back on NP 715, ttscp wrote:There are limits to collaboration. If I post and nobody pays any attention, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint.

Since the usage here is to try and bring something new with every post (as opposed to, say, a single "lol"), it's always hard to tell when people pay attention to your post. The number of quotes tells you the number of people who found something to add, which is different from who found the post interesting/funny/good/...

Especially since "Me, too" posts are specifically discouraged. And, the speed of this thread makes it really easy for things to get overlooked, at least initially. So, yeah, not getting any response can mean any number of things, most of them at least neutral.

I've been thinking about this for weeks.

Imagine Henny Youngman on stage, doing classic stand-up comedy. And the audience never laughs--he's thinking to himself, "I got a bigger reaction from the Mona Lisa." Then suddenly, five or six minutes into his routine, the audience bursts into wild applause─

─at the Robert Goulet number they heard fifteen minutes earlier. And ten minutes or so after that, during a big dance number with thirty beautiful leggy girls in spangly costumes, everybody in the room starts roaring with laughter.

Man, that's what posting in this thread is like.

Sure, there are the "Tom Jones is at the roulette table!" moments when everybody dashes off right away to see, like when BlitzGirl finally reached the present (and Helper and HAL9000 popped up) or Yappo's terrific recording of BlitzGirl's I Love the Thread, but those times just amplify the general effect.

Have you ever heard someone, after a buildup to a gag, say, "Wait for it!" before the punch line? Well, on this thread, it's the comic (not The Comic) who has to "Wait for it." Or any other poster, for that matter─there's no predicting how late a response will come.

On the Outside, you throw a comment into a conversation like a pebble into a pond, and you make a little splash or a big splash, and then the ripples die away. If your timing is good, you can drop another pebble at just the right moment, and build on the ripples from the first one─but they still die away. But here?

A real-thread illustration: On NP 483 (May 1, morning my time) I dropped a little gag about the .otf file extension. (And if I revive it with this post, it won't count: Observer bias or Hawthorne effect or Heisenberg's principle or something. [Ain't Wikipedia handy?])

A few people (Valarya, lmjb1964, Angelastic) came back with grins over the next five NP, and I thought it would quietly die. But then phoenixRising mentioned it on NP 495 (May 1, nearly midnight my time) and KarMann quoted her, and several more people responded. Then on NP 500, about 25 newpix after my original post, Valarya teased Dracomax about using OTF to mean One True Forum, and there was another brief flurry of quoting, then silence.

But then, on NP 535, 3½ xips after my original post, azule put "One True Font" in her list of OTx TLAs. And mikrit dropped the phrase on NP 589, 9 full xips, over 220 newpix later. It died off after that, at last; no big surprise. But I also wouldn't have been much surprised if when partingLance hit the top of a Newpage a couple of pages back and ventured a blanket blank decree, someone had posted, "Your decree's no good─"

And of course, partingLance and xpatiate both posted double dactyls today, nine xips after I orginally brought them up. Eek!

The narrative flow of the OTT is absurdly knotted and tangled. There's a PhD thesis in here for some sociology major, I'm guessing. If Randall tried to do a narrative chart for the OTT the way he did for LotR and Star Wars, we'd give him a nervous breakdown. (And, Randall, if you do have spies on the OTT, that's really not intended as a challenge.)

...What, were you expecting me to draw a conclusion? I'm not a sociology major. I'm just talking.

P.S. llab gnop gnip arbacapuhc in! in! in! in! in! (my friend Catherine's version.)

Two points:
1. That was really an excellent thought-raising post, filled with humorous and insightful analysis. Well done!
...and...
2. Henny Youngman, Robert Goulet, and Tom Jones??? :shock: Man, oh man-- you are old!!! :lol: :D

lmjb1964 wrote:As penance for any flame-bait I may have contributed, I offer a song:
"It's the most wonderful thread on the net." (I started with "on the web," but couldn't think of any words that rhymed with "web.")
Spoiler:
It's the most wonderful thread on the net.
With the posters all posting,
And all of us boasting, “There’s no flame wars yet!”

It's the hap-happiest thread of them all.
We make sharing appealing
And unhappy feeling we try to forestall.
It's the hap-happiest thread of them all.

We have people that write songs
And cool bots that post ONGs
And people that make awesome graphs.
There is great animation
And folks from each nation who
Share in the stories and laughs.

We discuss each new theory
And answer each query with
“Yes, sure, you bet!”

We have science and cool hats
And even a few cats
And artwork and puzzles sublime.
The road may get rocky
But read “Jabberwalky”
To realize how special is “Time.”

And I cherish this new bond
Of each of you I’m fond,
Though we’ve never met.
It's the most wonderful thread,
It's the most wonderful thread,

Awesome!!! Wonderful, Laura Mae June Bug!!! :D And don't tell my wife, but I want to marry you, too! :wink:

AK49BWL wrote:Hey guys. I'm lost back at NewPage 590.. Somebody posted a trebuchet simulator and I lost over 96 Newpix to that ...I'm waaaaaaaaaaaay behind but I'm Blitzing1 as fast as I can!! In the meantime, I present this useless and way-too-long video of my TimeWasting. Only after which I downloaded a copy and modified it to overly insane specifications and found two hidden maps as well as added a few of my own. Yeh whatever lol.

OK, that was very cool!!!! :D

nerdsniped wrote:(I've been working on this for a while -- since before the group Jabberwocky poem got going. This one went in a very different direction, so I decided to just post it separately. It's All Related.)

IGNORANCY
Spoiler:
'Twas brillig, and the sandy slopes
Did gyre and gimble ('spite lack of waves)
All beachy were the castle-rows
And the molpys outgrabe.

"Beware the Ignorance, Cuegan!
The whys that gnaw, the hows that itch!
Beware the shrug-shrug bird, and shun
The flooded seaside ditch!"

They took dilgunnerangs in hand;
Long time the water's source they sought --
So rested she by the Baobab tree;
He stood awhile in thought.

And, as in endless pix they sought,
The Ignorance, with wormy brain,
Came pressing down upon their thought,
And hid the source of rain.

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The uffish pair pressed on the track!
They forged ahead, to river's head
And went galumphing back.

"And, has thou o'ercame the Ignorance?
Come to my arms, my plucksome pair!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
He chortled in joyful air."

'Twas brillig, and the sandy slopes
Did gyre and gimble ('spite lack of waves)
All beachy were the castle-rows
And the molpys outgrabe.

Excellent! It ties in so well with the OTC and their whole quest, and how they've reacted to almost everything they've seen! And it's written really well, too. :D

BlitzGirl wrote:I was musing over my silly reply to bmonk and the rhythm of "Fry Sauce Blitzer" just snagged me... so I had to do another song...

Fry Sauce Blitzer
(to the tune of Jukebox Hero)

Spoiler:
Reading through the thread, monitor aglow
Time keeps a-tickin', his eyes go to and fro
Now his ketchup is long, feels like swimming upstream
Took a look at his browser, then with a blitzed-out scream

He made one new tab, opened to the Now
Saw the Present thread, he made a solemn vow
To keep with his blitzing despite the lure
Of the current newpage, though he knew for sure

That one new tab changed all his plans
He made 'til then, open it stands
Just one new tab, changed the status quo
Was a portal through Time, got a new way to go

So he mixed his ketchup
Put mayo-Now on top
Gotta keep that ketchup
But now he's made a fancy new-Time slop

Now he's a fry sauce blitzer, two windows on Time
He's a fry sauce blitzer
He took one new tab (fry sauce blitzer, windows on Time)
Fry sauce blitzer, he'll lead two lives tonight

In a blitz through the thread, in the OTT lore
Thought he passed his own pastpost, didn't know for sure
In a flash to the past, man it seemed pretty strange
How that one new tab made his whole blitz change

When he mixed his old ketchup
Mayo-Now on top
Gotta keep that ketchup
But make a great new-Timey slop

And be a fry sauce blitzer, two windows on Time
He's a fry sauce blitzer, two windows on Time
Yeah, fry sauce blitzer, two windows on Time
With that one new tab he'll lead two lives
Two lives tonight

(Rock-arina interlude)

Yeah he's gotta mix ketchup
Mayo-Now on top
Gotta keep that ketchup
But make a great new-Timey slop

And be a fry sauce blitzer, two windows on Time
He's a fry sauce blitzer, two windows on Time
Just one new tab (fry sauce blitzer), two windows on Time
He's just a fry sauce blitzer (aah aah aah)
Fry sauce blitzer, fry sauce blitzer, with two windows on Time
Windows on Time

Whoa, another excellent parody song, BlitzGirl. :D My ketchupping is totally past-centric now, but I will admit to split-personality fry-saucing at times in the past. :wink:

kenmelken wrote:"Prime Time" given as a gif below.

Spoiler:
Some observations:
*A few favorite frames make it, such as the "fall of man," Cueball saying, "I don't understand how ANYTHING works," and Megan's tender "bye!" to the castle.
*La Petite doesn't survive.
*Most of the dialogue (not all, but to a surprising degree) that manages to survive is directly related to the rivers.
*The "Tree Period" is completely lost, and the only image we get of the "Neat Tree" is a single frame after Cueball has returned.
*Molpy detection is basically impossible, because through the Journey Era there really are barely any frames within the same camera shots to be able to see the change in pixels allowing a molpy to be identified.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your own thoughts about what made it and what didn't that you appreciate or are dismayed by.

Spoiler:
PrimeTime.gif

Very cool! I'm surprised that even with all the pieces lost, how well it still contains the 'whole story'.

...and thus ends volume 8, and I've gained only 1 NP of progress -- 13 NP's still to go. But this has given me a LOT of appreciation for both how much incredible content is actually put into the OTT (there's just so MUCH excellent stuff to comment on), and how hard true Blitzers have to work to really see all of the OTT in detail...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Okay, and what does 'bub' mean? (I must appear almost a stupid as Cueball the amount of questions I've asked recently!)

Bub is an americanism, possibly largely obsolete that you use in a bar when chest to chest with a big and ugly guy that thinks he is tougher than you and who says something disparaging about your sweetie. It is a form of address, not unlike un-friending. It often precedes a fight. In Maine (US State) it is sometimes pronounced Chumly.

"Ok Chumley, I think we need to step outside for a friendly chat."
Translation: die, scum, die.

Something like that. Or when I was referred to previously as "teach". I could have responded with:

Okay, I'll just shrug it off and pretend it didn't happen, then.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Wed May 29, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
kenmelken wrote:By the way, I have another question/proposal for the community. Last night I proposed naming the period between the Vineyard Period and Megan's Quest, "The Decision Period." It was seconded and not objected to, but I'm about to make that page and beginning to think I don't like that name much anymore (even though I proposed it). Mostly, it isn't the first decision point they've had, even if a significant one. Also, most of the other periods in the Journey Eon have been named according to either their generic journeying segment number or the notable geographic features. Thus, I'm thinking about naming it something like the "Abandoned Campsite Period" instead, as that is where they are for during those frames. But then, it occurred to me that if the former residents had built a whole vineyard adjacent, it probably wasn't just a campsite, but a more long-term site of residence. So, what about the "Abandoned Habitation Period" as its name? Any other thoughts?

How about "Debate at the Campsite"? Then you get both the decisionness and the geographical featureness. Rewatching that Period, I would definitely say that the debating takes a majority of it. Plus a title like that would spice up the "___ Period, ___ Period, ___ Period" titles that are filling up this era.

Preview ninja'd: ttscp's "Questioning the Quest" is a good name too. Either way, I recommend leaving off the "Period". :wink:

Either title works to capture the central debate, so either works for me. I was just adding the " Period" at the end to be like all the others, but I agree with BlitzGirl that it gets monotonous after a while.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed May 29, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

ucim wrote:<snip>
Explanation of multiplication using logarithms:
Spoiler:
How much is (7x7) x (7x7x7)? Don't do the actual arithmetic, but can you tell that it has to be the same as (7x7x7x7x7) ?
In shorthand, 72 x 73 = 75
You're just multplying five sevens together, and you can do that in any order you want too.x

See what we just did? We multiplied by adding (the exponents)!

Fiddlesticks. You can't add footnotes and expect to make sense.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Wed May 29, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

I thought JabberWalky (or Jabberwalky or Jabber-walky) were all accepted variant spellings of the OTT created parody of The Jabberwocky, in accordance with the OTT's policy of never quite settling on one actual term for anything.

Yes, ttscp, you have it correct. I wrote the first verse to a parody of Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky", and invited everyone to contribute additional verses to a "group poem" which I was calling "Jabber-walky", or, more simply, "Jabberwalky". So that is the name of the parody that the OTT created collaboratively. It is not a misspelling.

ETA: added link to "Jabberwalky" in the wiki.
Last edited by Ebonite on Wed May 29, 2013 7:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed May 29, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

That and, Cuegan's out on a walk. Not that they jabber all that much.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

And every Major's terrible!

That was impulse, and I don't know why I want to post it, but I do.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed May 29, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:How about "Debate at the Campsite"? Then you get both the decisionness and the geographical featureness. Rewatching that Period, I would definitely say that the debating takes a majority of it. Plus a title like that would spice up the "___ Period, ___ Period, ___ Period" titles that are filling up this era.

Ooh. Both are good. I still am debating whether or not to label what they've found a campsite, given that it assumedly would have had a more permanent purpose given the planting of the vineyard ("Debate at the Abandoned Habitation"??? is that too formal/austere/nerdy???). Still, I like how, as you said, your suggestion encompasses both the distinct plot importance of the period and the geographical setting. I also like the alliteration of ttscp's suggestion.

I suppose we could go with "Questioning the Quest at the Abandoned Habitation" but that might be getting just a bit over the top... :P
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed May 29, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Chaotic Pile of Ketchup (vol 8)

<snip>

...and thus ends volume 8, and I've gained only 1 NP of progress -- 13 NP's still to go. But this has given me a LOT of appreciation for both how much incredible content is actually put into the OTT (there's just so MUCH excellent stuff to comment on), and how hard true Blitzers have to work to really see all of the OTT in detail...

And this is exactly why it's so hard for us to just skip to the present after any absence - there's a lot of content in here, more so than in a typical thread for sure. I had to skim through several dozen pages after the holiday weekend, and even that was difficult - I'm sure I missed quite a bit, all the while wondering 'I wonder what's going on "Right Now"'

Also, to those of you who feel like your posts are ignored, don't forget the Ketchup Knights - some will bring forward something entertaining they see, while others just smile, nod, and continue their blitz. If these people were ignoring the posts, they would have just saved the effort and skipped to the present.
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed May 29, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:<snip>
When I was referred to previously as "teach". I could have responded with:

Being the "teach" referring offender, I appreciate you lettinge me slide as I am not the proficient flamer that you've proven yourself to be while facing down a dragon in a fire-war.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Wed May 29, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

Buffygirl, we spelled the title of our poem ‘JabberWalky’ because it refers to the Walk of CueGan, and so that future readers would not be confused into thinking that ours is the original. Lewis Carroll does deserve first credit, after all :wink: (Multi-Ninja'd!)

The Walk of CueGan sounds like a good title for an epic. Or a saga! Anybody familiar enough with sagas that we could attempt one?

charlie_grumbles wrote:Invitation to All
Spoiler:
I want to invite you all to a Memorial Day party and picnic at my summer place; address below.

We will have a barbecue with molpyburgers as the main course. Molberry wine for all. If your age, infirmity, taste, or belief doesn't permit you fermented drink, then the pure unfermented juice will be available as well. And don't forget to try the special version of semencancercoffeebabbiesonice. Either bottled or on tap.

For the vegans/vegetarians among you, my master Chef can provide Peace waffles with Baobab Syrup.
Hope you can all make it. Bring your bags, shadows, building materials, dilgunerangs, walking shoes. Sand will be provided, as will the seabig, various and sundary riverssmall ... big, dunes, hills, mountains, etc.

Don't, however, try the water.

And if you try the pool, watch out for the hotterdaughterwaterottermolpy. And don't mis-interpret the name. She gets very upset about sexist comments.

Fluffy will be available for petting [important]but not her tummy[/important]. Peewee will wait tables, but keep flames away, please, (for everyone's safety).

Sorry if this arrives late but the mail seems to be moving at the rate of newpix. If you miss this then it may repeat again each yip until the End of Time

750 Hearst Castle Road
San Simeon, CA 93452

RSVP (800) 444-4445
hearstcastle.org‎

Oh, forgot to add. It's CYOM, "catch your own molpy".

We'll be there next year! Memorial Day is one of the few long wipends that my Enchanter and I don't have yiply commitments, and he's never been to Cali! Let's see, I'll bring some random-vegetation salad and some extra dilgunnerangs just in case, and I suspect my Enchanter will want to try distilling spike-tree sap... (I won't let him have a still at home, but all you really need is a pressure cooker and some assorted tubing, according to him. I don't know, these magical types...)

kenmelken, you're absolutely welcome! Keeping in mind that you're going to be pelted with advice at every stage, here are a couple of things I wish someone had told me: 1) things get tedious. There's no avoiding it, you just have to ride it out. 2) any time you have a major life change it can feel as though you are giving up your entire self - in a way this is true, but it's more akin to the caterpillar/butterfly sacrifice than a lamb sacrifice. 3) having children around is insane. They're insane, you're insane, it's all insane. Don't Panic, and Just Wait For It :D

Oh! I think NewPixBot is our Rain God!

Edited for clarity, ninja notice, including charlie_grumbles' invitation
Edited again to add: ooh, Hearst Castle, great place you've got there!
Hmmm. You can rent it for events, can't you. Is it too early to start planning an Outside meetup for next yip?

Edit: Eep! I justified JabberWalky, and then misspelled Lewis Carroll! I'm so sorry, that was absolutely not intentional. I have to know a person much better before I do such dreadful things to them on purpose
Last edited by BlueCrab on Wed May 29, 2013 8:39 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed May 29, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

The Outside is calling dragging me kicking and screaming now, but I noticed we haven't had a paranoid theory on the end of Time lately, so....

:shock: OMR, we've learned too much lately (time of day, shadows, direction). We are being preparred for IT! Yes, that IT! and with IT the end of Time.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Wed May 29, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

So, I've been exploring the possibility of the OTC taking place in Cassinite Madagascar in more detail. In order to not confuse people, unannotated cardinal directions refer to real-world Madagascar; Cassinite directions are marked with a subscript c.

Based on what we know so far, the most likely scenario given that assumption is that Cuegan's journey began on the beaches south (eastc) of Morondava, Madagascar. They traveled south (eastc) down the beach. There is very little in the way of human impact to encounter along the way, just a handful of small, isolated villages that, depending on their exact route, they may have missed entirely. The most likely river to be the OTC river is the Mangoky, which does have a large terminal delta similar to what we saw in the OTC. The Mangoky is also a fairly fast-moving river, especially upstream from the delta, and not at all the sort of thing one would wisely go swimming in.

Turning left, they then walked more or less alongside the Mangoky, going southeast (northwestc), then east (northc) along the river. Especially for a river its size, there is surprisingly little civilization on the banks of the Mangoky. The suspiciously flat patch of ground they walked over at one point may have been one of the few exceptions: a road, Madagascar Route 9, just south (eastc) of Ankiliabo. The bit where they had to go around difficult terrain is a relatively steep-walled valley where the Mangoky cuts through an isolated section of mountainous terrain between its confluences with the Sikily and Sakanavaka Rivers (both of which meet the Mangoky on the opposite side from where Cuegan are walking). That would make place them currently in the hilly terrain west (southc) of the commune of Beroroha. The real mountains are on the other side of the commune, the broken escarpments of the Madagascar Central Uplift. I suppose it should be noted that, if this theory is correct, that squirrelpy was really a lemurpy...

I think it's reasonable to assume Cuegan aren't natives. Perhaps they were tourists? The beach at Morondava gets great tourism reviews! This might explain their lack of area knowledge. What bits of information they seem to have gleaned about their surroundings would fit this scenario, too. The "hill people" upstream from Morondava would be ethnic Sakalava, while the area they would be in now is populated by the Bara people. Even their strange reactions to sea level rise might make sense if this world was originally Earth, and was subjected to the Cassini rotation in the relatively recent past; even if they have some knowledge of reality, no one sane would guess that sea level rise was caused by the catastrophic melting of neotropical Antarctica!

This theory, likely to be branded the "Cassinite Heresy", I am certain, does leave a few questions unanswered. For one, where are all the people? Even if they've avoided civilization since leaving, Morondava's not a small place (population ~70,000). Perhaps this is a consequence of whatever caused the Cassini rotation? In any case, the one other person we've seen seems to show French cultural influences, which would be appropriate for Madagascar as well. Another problem is the situation for any of the rivers except the one they have walked along. In our world, the Morondava River has no problem reaching the sea, and neither do the Maharivo, Lampaolo, or Maintapaka Rivers that they would have encountered before reaching the Mangoky. I posit this as the Riverine Paradox, but do not think it is an insurmountable challenge to the proposal, which otherwise satisfies both botanical and geographical evidence and provides a catastrophic global change in the recent past to explain some of the post-apocalyptical aspects of the OTC.

akacat

Postby akacat » Wed May 29, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

And some cake:
Spoiler:

I noticed! I particularly liked that cake; the decoration is simple, yet clever.

But I can't watch youtube from this device, so I didn't have much else to say.

Dracomax wrote:Well, for what it's worth, this is my 10000000002th post.
have some dragon cake.
Spoiler:

Is that a real cake?? That's amazing enormous delicious looking.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 29, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

And some cake:

have some dragon cake.Image

That's an actual cake??? That's awesome neat.
And a mighty congratulations... 512... That's like the 11th leyland number!!! Also awesomeneat.
Deserves a pint methinks:

Well, I found it here: http://www.berjayahotel.com/press_detail.php?pid=235 It's a big, neat cake.
“have i gone mad?

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed May 29, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

@bluecrab:
Good advice. :) I especially love the caterpillar/butterfly analogy of sacrifice. It seems often that we learn through life that sacrifice is often worth it for better things than those we give up.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Wed May 29, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:How about "Debate at the Campsite"? Then you get both the decisionness and the geographical featureness. Rewatching that Period, I would definitely say that the debating takes a majority of it. Plus a title like that would spice up the "___ Period, ___ Period, ___ Period" titles that are filling up this era.

Ooh. Both are good. I still am debating whether or not to label what they've found a campsite, given that it assumedly would have had a more permanent purpose given the planting of the vineyard ("Debate at the Abandoned Habitation"??? is that too formal/austere/nerdy???). Still, I like how, as you said, your suggestion encompasses both the distinct plot importance of the period and the geographical setting. I also like the alliteration of ttscp's suggestion.

I suppose we could go with "Questioning the Quest at the Abandoned Habitation" but that might be getting just a bit over the top... :P

And since when has there been opposition in the OTT to being over the top?

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:The Outside is calling dragging me kicking and screaming now, but I noticed we haven't had a paranoid theory on the end of Time lately, so....

:shock: OMR, we've learned too much lately (time of day, shadows, direction). We are being preparred for IT! Yes, that IT! and with IT the end of Time.

Shit. Should I cancel the milk?

I don't need to. Don't have a subscription to it in the first place.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed May 29, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

Another prime numbered ONG (1697), part of another prime triplet.

Edit: scored the ONG and the NP (my first NP, I believe!). Oh frabjous day!
Last edited by kenmelken on Wed May 29, 2013 8:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 29, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Awesome!!! Wonderful, Laura Mae June Bug!!! :D And don't tell my wife, but I want to marry you, too! :wink:

lmjb1964 wrote:Re: HAL9000's buzzkill:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:i don't mean to be rude, but I think we need to stop a moment and ask ourselves: What is this thread about? Inflating our egoes by comparing which one of us can provoke a certain user into responding to our posts the most, or discussing an internet comic that just so happens to change once every hour? Because I'm pretty sure it's not the first one.
We're making the posts themselves more important than the information they contain. That's a good way to get a thread locked and users banned.
I am also somewhat perturbed by the fact that we seem to be making one user more important than all the others. No user should get any special level of attention or priveleges, moderators, webninjas, and others who have been trusted with controlling the forums excepted. A user's first post can be just as insightful as a user's thousandth post. Sometimes less, sometimes more. No non-admin/webmaster user is inherently better than any other.
I'm just a person sitting in front of a screen. So is BlitzGirl, Valarya, tman2nd, Kieryn, Red Hal, Vytron, Opibobble, jetpac, KarMann, Exodies, Tometheus, Selcouth, Ace, davidy, EternalDensity, and everyone else who's ever lurked and posted on this forum (don't worry, I care about you guys too, I just don't feel like listing all of this forum's users). None of us should be treated differently than any other.

But...but...I won! Isn't my winning what this thread is all about?
No?
Do I still get cake?
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:Okay and by popular demand here it is: The BlitzGirl number: http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits

Awesome work!
Although, actually, I'm not surprised at all to see that I have a low BlitzGirl number of 1. I mean, she and I have a pretty close relationship:
1. Besides her presence in the OTT, BlitzGirl also has a blog called "Crash Landing".
2. "Crash Landing" is also the name of a forgotten B movie from 1958 written by Fred Freiberger.
3. Fred Freiberger also co-wrote the screenplay for the 1953 schlock monster movie "The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms". In that film, the monster, named a "rhedosaurus", is finally killed at Coney Island when a radioactive isotope is shot into its neck.
4. Inserting radioactive isotopes into the neck has also been done to treat neck and head cancer, and was discussed in a 1966 JAMA paper by Dr. Irving M. Ariel, MD.
5. "Ariel" is also the name of the Sprite who serves Prospero in William Shakespeare's play, "The Tempest".
6. "The Tempest" is also the basis of the story in the 1956 movie, "Forbidden Planet".
7. "Forbidden Planet" features Leslie Nielsen in the role of Commander J.J. Adams.
8. Leslie Nielsen, best known for his roles in "Airplane!" and "The Naked Gun" series, was born February 11, 1926 in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.
9. Regina is the home of the Canadian Football League team, the Saskatchewan Roughriders, who, after eight earlier losing attempts dating back to 1923, won their first Grey Cup championship in 1966.
10. 1966 was also the year that the band Cream released their first album, "Fresh Cream".
11. Cream was a trio consisting of drummer Ginger Baker, bassist Jack Bruce, and guitarist Eric Clapton.
12. Although Eric Clapton mainly played Gibson guitars while in Cream, he is primarily known for playing the Fender Stratocaster, which he switched to in 1969.
13. The Stratocaster is the guitar used in both my avatar and username.
See? BlitzGirl and I are practically brother and sister...

StratPlayer, I think I want to marry you. (Hopefully you're not in high school like HAL9000, since that would be creepy).

Awww is this our first official unofficial OTT couple? All the love on this thread is inspiring. Let's take a quick look at our past in-thread potential relationship statuses:

Shepherdess Image "anyone who gives her a tiny trebuchet for her tiny sandcastle"
Spoiler:
Shepherdess wrote:
edo wrote:
Shepherdess wrote:The new update scared the crap out of me until I went "Awww!"

Nothing says love like the gift of a trébuchet.

I think if someone gave me a tiny trebuchet for my tiny sandcastle, I would marry them on the spot.

Valarya Image newpixbot
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:I want to marry newpixbot.

marchlight Image yappobiscuits
Spoiler:
marchlight wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

Wow! I put off listening to this due to having to download it (yeah, I'm THAT lazy). Finally opened it this morning and immediately wanted to marry you. I adore your voice. Thanks for that.

buffygirl Image kieryn
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Ok, I don't know why I did this... I guess I kind of got obsessed with the idea the sandcastle building and maybe the whole comic was scripted back in the 1st NP century and so I had this old experiment lying around and... well... um...
Prediction for the next 900 newpix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSOWQYx7MYU

O M G, what planet are you from, and will you marry me? shit, I'm already married.

Whizbang Image "Poppins-esque bottomless bag" ???
Spoiler:
Whizbang wrote:What magic trickses does she have in that bag? It hardly seems like a bag to take on a long scientific adventure.
I'm predicting a Marry Poppins-esque bottomless bag. I am guessing this is where all the construction material has come from.

buffygirl Image "All of Us"
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:I think I'm in Love with All of You and want to Marry you. just btw.

buffygirl, your hats have made us all feel so special, but those words made the hats just the icing...

Okay vomit bags are under the seat in front of you. back to wait-watching. seriousnowseriousnowseriousnowseriousnowseriousnow

Edit: search link for these posts: search.php?keywords=marry&t=101043&sf=msgonly
Last edited by Kieryn on Wed May 29, 2013 8:27 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Image- Kieryn

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed May 29, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

Qalyar wrote:So, I've been exploring the possibility of the OTC taking place in Cassinite Madagascar in more detail.
Spoiler:
In order to not confuse people, unannotated cardinal directions refer to real-world Madagascar; Cassinite directions are marked with a subscript c.

Based on what we know so far, the most likely scenario given that assumption is that Cuegan's journey began on the beaches south (eastc) of Morondava, Madagascar. They traveled south (eastc) down the beach. There is very little in the way of human impact to encounter along the way, just a handful of small, isolated villages that, depending on their exact route, they may have missed entirely. The most likely river to be the OTC river is the Mangoky, which does have a large terminal delta similar to what we saw in the OTC. The Mangoky is also a fairly fast-moving river, especially upstream from the delta, and not at all the sort of thing one would wisely go swimming in.

Turning left, they then walked more or less alongside the Mangoky, going southeast (northwestc), then east (northc) along the river. Especially for a river its size, there is surprisingly little civilization on the banks of the Mangoky. The suspiciously flat patch of ground they walked over at one point may have been one of the few exceptions: a road, Madagascar Route 9, just south (eastc) of Ankiliabo. The bit where they had to go around difficult terrain is a relatively steep-walled valley where the Mangoky cuts through an isolated section of mountainous terrain between its confluences with the Sikily and Sakanavaka Rivers (both of which meet the Mangoky on the opposite side from where Cuegan are walking). That would make place them currently in the hilly terrain west (southc) of the commune of Beroroha. The real mountains are on the other side of the commune, the broken escarpments of the Madagascar Central Uplift. I suppose it should be noted that, if this theory is correct, that squirrelpy was really a lemurpy...

I think it's reasonable to assume Cuegan aren't natives. Perhaps they were tourists? The beach at Morondava gets great tourism reviews! This might explain their lack of area knowledge. What bits of information they seem to have gleaned about their surroundings would fit this scenario, too. The "hill people" upstream from Morondava would be ethnic Sakalava, while the area they would be in now is populated by the Bara people. Even their strange reactions to sea level rise might make sense if this world was originally Earth, and was subjected to the Cassini rotation in the relatively recent past; even if they have some knowledge of reality, no one sane would guess that sea level rise was caused by the catastrophic melting of neotropical Antarctica!

This theory, likely to be branded the "Cassinite Heresy", I am certain, does leave a few questions unanswered. For one, where are all the people? Even if they've avoided civilization since leaving, Morondava's not a small place (population ~70,000). Perhaps this is a consequence of whatever caused the Cassini rotation? In any case, the one other person we've seen seems to show French cultural influences, which would be appropriate for Madagascar as well. Another problem is the situation for any of the rivers except the one they have walked along. In our world, the Morondava River has no problem reaching the sea, and neither do the Maharivo, Lampaolo, or Maintapaka Rivers that they would have encountered before reaching the Mangoky. I posit this as the Riverine Paradox, but do not think it is an insurmountable challenge to the proposal, which otherwise satisfies both botanical and geographical evidence and provides a catastrophic global change in the recent past to explain some of the post-apocalyptical aspects of the OTC.

Nice theory & research.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”