1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Wed May 29, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:When a molpy's in the puddle where the tweedle beetles battle with their paddles in some water on a hotter otter's daughter, this is what they call:
a tweedle beetle battle-addled puddle-paddled fuddled rattled hotterdaughterwaterottermolpy!
I'd like to see that in a double dactyl!

kenmelken wrote:[re: Decision Period]...So, what about the "Abandoned Habitation Period" as its name? Any other thoughts?
Sounds a bit general for my taste. "Decision Period" has a nice dramatic sense. I suppose only in retrospect will we know whether the decision is momentous, but it certainly was mountanous. We could call it the Vineyard Decision Period, or the Mountain Decision Period.

Or we could, well, you know...

I do wonder whether we should call them periods at all. The action doesn't really stop. Maybe we should call them commas. So we could have the Sandcastle Comma, the Megan Comma, the Mountain Decision Comma, etc. Maybe only some of them should be commas - the rest should be classified by other appropriate punctuation marks. So, the Decision Exclamation Point, the First Sandcastle Semicolon, etc. And if we stay with some of them having no punctuation at all, something like just "The Second Decision" has a lot of punch to it.

Dracomax wrote:As for Tarot, Other than Judgement, I don't think it's gotten any farther.
I intend to chime in at some point, but I'm too busy right now waiting for it. The ones posted so far look great!

kieryn wrote:Nobody noticed my 400th post and the cake i left there. I guess I should not have spoilered it.
I noticed too. And so did the Pope. But he's kinda slow (just ask the First Cleric)! You have done wonderful things with the OTT data, and I have enjoyed every one of them.

And, btw, I watched and enjoyed both clips, and started YouTube wandering along those lines. Dangerous bait you put out there! :)

Qalyar wrote:So, I've been exploring the possibility of the OTC taking place in Cassinite Madagascar in more detail.
Is the climate and biome of Cassinite Madagascar similar enough to Canonical Madagascar? I wonder if the scenario is post conversion as in having the earth have been Cassinited some time (but not a lot of time) prior to newpix zero.

I keep seeing more posts in the "pre-submit post review". Posting anyway!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed May 29, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:I short-circuit to cake.

Number 5 is a lie!

Dracomax wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:No, this is the same bag. I don't exactly have any way to eat the Skittles, and why would I do that anyways? They're so... magical...
*enters trance*

So, what, this is a case of "I have no mouth, and I must eat?"

Or do you enjoy the taste using synesthesia?

When I read this, I made the link from Skittles to M&Ms and imagined myself shaking my fist at the sky and yelling, "NOT ONE OF THESE M&M's IS M-COLOURED!"

I loved the Fake Blitz song, and the fact that there was a recording of it which was convenient to listen to when I got to it (:oops: dare I admit that I sometimes skim/skip parody lyrics because I don't know the original tune, and aren't able to look it up at the time?)

Nice Wordle, Sciscitor; I somehow missed it but looked it up when I saw people mentioning it a lot. I've been meaning to do a Wordle of the full text of the thread, but had to update my Java to do so, and haven't bothered to restart my browser yet.

I think the recent comments on the sun are either:

1) GLR saying, 'Have you figured out the real world location of this comic yet? Here's a clue that should make it blatantly obvious that's what you're supposed to do, and give you the last bit of information you need to work it out.'

2) An observation which clueless Cuegan will later use to figure out things about the world (e.g. how the position of these points on the planet relate to that of the Sun.)

If (1), I think it's clear they passed the Avenue of the Baobabs, given that there was even that crooked baobab there, but does the rest of their journey fit with that?

Here are some more Time-related unintentional haiku from Lewis Carroll, by the way. One about GLR:

“But what became of
the Man who said ‘You may wait
here till I come back’?”

and one with Cuegan addressing us, perhaps?

You’ll wait and wave your
handkerchief when I get to
that turn in the road?
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 29, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

ucim wrote:started YouTube wandering along those lines. Dangerous bait you put out there! :)

Maybe this explains it... I posted something that caused people to just drift away from the OTT and hence never post a reply... oops :?
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed May 29, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:(Your quote's not working because you need " instead of ' surrounding the author name. :wink: )

Ah, much better. Thank you.

(As for how ' got there in the first place, it's a longish story.)

Kieryn wrote:Nobody noticed my 400th post and the cake i left there. I guess I should not have spoilered it.

I noticed it. It was yummy.

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Wed May 29, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Qalyar wrote:So, I've been exploring the possibility of the OTC taking place in Cassinite Madagascar in more detail.
Is the climate and biome of Cassinite Madagascar similar enough to Canonical Madagascar? I wonder if the scenario is post conversion as in having the earth have been Cassinited some time (but not a lot of time) prior to newpix zero.

Cassinite Madagascar is no longer tropical, and would be quite a bit cooler than real Madagascar, but still gets quite a bit of warm air and water (and hurricanes), and would almost certainly be forested, albeit with a forest of a different sort.

I agree that, if the Cassinite theory holds, the likely situation is that the rotation occurred in the relatively recent past. That also provides a solution to the question of why what the sea wants to do is rise.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed May 29, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:<snip>
When I was referred to previously as "teach". I could have responded with:
That's "Professor Grumbles" to you, bub.

but we are all friends here and I didn't want to start a flame war. :twisted:

Being the "teach" referring offender, I appreciate you lettinge me slide as I am not the proficient flamer that you've proven yourself to be while facing down a dragon in a fire-war.

(Blush)
But I did have to yield to Dracomax's superior firepower. (And a lucky thing I did)

Have to crank up my curmudgeon, I guess.

BlitzGirl wrote:When a molpy's in the puddle where the tweedle beetles battle with their paddles in some water on a hotter otter's daughter, this is what they call:
a tweedle beetle battle-addled puddle-paddled fuddled rattled hotterdaughterwaterottermolpy!

And, of course, yielding to BlitzGirl's superior firepower. Well Done and Rare at the same time.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 29, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

Chaotic Pile of Ketchup (vol 9)

Spoiler:

"Fries anyone? Ketchup crash snarls traffic in Nevada"

Volume 9 as I'm ketchupping from 13 NewPages in the past...

spamjam wrote:
Spoiler:
kenmelken wrote:And one other observation I might add that I discovered while compiling the prime panels to begin with: it gave me a great appreciation for each frame we got to keep by looking at it that way, and yet also a deep longing for each frame left behind. To me, it in that way kind of reinforced what this comic really seems to say to me altogether: that each moment in time is worth considering and savoring like we do here on the thread. The apropos nature of Randall's title for our beloved 1190 is that Time (the comic), just like Time on the Outside, must be experienced only moment at a time. There is no ability to skip ahead or to go back via the medium he has initially presented us. Obviously we've made wikis and threads and pages that record the frames and even dissect them, like a scrapbook of our life's past, but once the frame passes through Randall's little window on the original site, it will never be there again. Time marches on, constant and unchanging. Be glad for each moment in Time (comic and otherwise) you are given, and be glad you aren't limited to just the prime numbered pieces.

While viewing the OT[CT] I often think of Robert Hunter's lyrics in "The Wheel":
The wheel is turning and you can't slow down
You can't let go and you can't hold on
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

Even though there's been no weather yet. Right?

Hey, a song from "Garcia"!!! Excellent! I've always loved that album! :D And you're right -- it's entirely appropriate, too.

And while it seems like I'm not making progress in ketching up, I must be. Here's my first post from yesterday:
StratPlayer wrote:... it may take me a while to fully ketchup...

Indeed it will, Stratty. Indeed it will.

k.bookbinder wrote:Welcome back StratPlayer! Good luck on our ketchup (yes, we still do that).

Thanks! And I think I can use the luck. :wink:

TheMinim wrote:AND I'M CAUGHT UP!!!!!!!!

*over-enthusiatic about getting to the present even though needs to read some more Past*

Yay! Congratulations! Event though I have to leave for the Outside, I'll take comfort in your achievement to know that, eventually, I too shall eventually be present in the present.

Dracomax wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:<snip> I was looking for someone to punish for heresy. I thought to myself, wow, in 10 pages, none has been particularly heretical. ANd then this. All you got was a tshirt? Come on, man!(or woman, or whatever you might identify yourself as. I was using The McCoy-person tense.) If we get any kind of tshirt, it should say, "I waited an hour on a darkening pixel. And all I got was...Everything!

I sentence you to listen to the Beatles White album. Also, Paul still not dead, just in case you start listening to songs backward.

What a strange and eerie coincidence, for at this moment, I am listening to The Beatles' White Album :shock:

See? It's all connected. :wink:

Yes. And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence. But, so far, no confirmation as to whether or not the beetle's name was indeed Paul...

cellocgw wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:StratPlayer, I think I want to marry you. (Hopefully you're not in high school like HAL9000, since that would be creepy).

Awww, thanks! You're too sweet! And don't worry -- I haven't been in high school since the month McDonald's first introduced The Happy Meal. :wink: However, my wife might still consider sharing her husband with a new sister wife a little creepy...

Funny you should mention that. When "Big Love" was cruising thru its early seasons, my (non-sister) wife and a good friend of hers decided it would be cool to have a sister wife to share the crapola-ish stuff around the house. Both of us husbands cringed at the thought of keeping two (or more) wives calm and happy :oops: .

PS when I finished high school we used circular slide rules and waited a year or two for Bowmar Brains to hit the market.

:lol: I can think of several replies here, but I think that it's best to simply say that it was hard enough to find one wife to put up with me. I doubt if a second one exists on the planet. :wink: And I remember Bowmar Brains. But I had to wait until calculators got cheap enough (like under $50.00) before I could get one.

And The Outside is once again pulling me away... It may be a while before volume 10 of the ketchup-quest is posted. Until then -- Wait well, all!!!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

We'll see you then!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed May 29, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
kenmelken wrote:[re: Decision Period]...So, what about the "Abandoned Habitation Period" as its name? Any other thoughts?
Sounds a bit general for my taste. "Decision Period" has a nice dramatic sense. I suppose only in retrospect will we know whether the decision is momentous, but it certainly was mountanous. We could call it the Vineyard Decision Period, or the Mountain Decision Period.

Or we could, well, you know...

I do wonder whether we should call them periods at all. The action doesn't really stop. Maybe we should call them commas. So we could have the Sandcastle Comma, the Megan Comma, the Mountain Decision Comma, etc. Maybe only some of them should be commas - the rest should be classified by other appropriate punctuation marks. So, the Decision Exclamation Point, the First Sandcastle Semicolon, etc. And if we stay with some of them having no punctuation at all, something like just "The Second Decision" has a lot of punch to it.

We have since discussed having fewer "Periods" in titles, and I agree that's a good call, even if they are in fact periods. As for renaming them as commas, etc, I think that would greatly disturb many hundreds of newpages of history, and not to mention it would greatly burden my already heavy wiki-Quest. I like the precedents we've established. :)

And as for the name of the period, the more I think about that rather absurd combination of other suggestions, "Questioning the Quest at the Abandoned Habitation," the more I actually quite like it. :) As ttscp said about it:

ttscp wrote:And since when has there been opposition in the OTT to being over the top?

So, I'm actually just about to make that page. Are there any further objections or discussion for or against "Questioning the Quest at the Abandoned Habitation" before I do so?
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed May 29, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
ucim wrote:started YouTube wandering along those lines. Dangerous bait you put out there! :)

Maybe this explains it... I posted something that caused people to just drift away from the OTT and hence never post a reply... oops :?
They didn't drift away, they were swallowed whole!

Earthling on Mars wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:(Your quote's not working because you need " instead of ' surrounding the author name. :wink: )

Go ahead. We've got Time.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed May 29, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

Regarding the tarrot card project (One true deck?)
I did post one of the mating molpyflies as the lovers, but It doesn't fit in with the list. I hope to do some more once my summer break has started.

And regarding posts that get responded to, I think that more than people not seeing them, people just didn't have anything to reply. I'd rather no replies to forced, empty ones. Then we would ruin our fabulous information per post ratio!

And third, minim apparently became multypope. Multypope!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

ergman wrote:

For a bit. It was pretty cool while it lasted.

(I think I prefer the spelling multipope, but that might just be me)
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed May 29, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:So, I'm actually just about to make that page. Are there any further objections or discussion for or against "Questioning the Quest at the Abandoned Habitation" before I do so?
As JeanLuc would say to his seamstress, "Make it sew!"

Jose

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed May 29, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
ergman wrote:

True. Multypope sounds like maltypope to me.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:As I continue my Quest to update the wiki (a task for which I have a goodly amount of Time [h]today[/h]), I'm reviewing a lot of the recent frames and story progress and realized that they must truly still be quite a bit closer to the river since rejoining it in 1402 than it has seemed since we haven't directly seen the shore of it again since they moved on at 1422. With all the baobab trees and abandoned campsites, it was easy to forget that they've still been along the river the whole time, which is why it was easy for Cueball to retrieve a new supply of water so quickly and return before Megan did in the seemingly brief amount of time she spent walking back to the vineyard for grapes. Unfortunately, as they now press on (supposedly) toward the mountains, we don't know if they are still alongside the river, and there seems to be dialogue to support either conclusion.

Considering that they're entering the mountains, it's likely that they'll be along the river for a while longer, as that's where rivers tend to start. However, even if they are still along the river, it's going to be reduced to a stream at some point, and then they'll find its source (or pass it, depending on how high they climb/how high the source of the river is).
kenmelken wrote:Either way, I am actually quite enjoying my Wiki Quest, but there really is much work to do and I could use some help, especially in expanding the articles on lots of the earlier periods that are merely stubs right now, or creating entries for red links, like those I've left open in the entry I created last night for the "Wow" Baobab Period. Wiki editing can actually be quite fun, so I'd love to see some of you over there. :)

Or maybe we should just require each of the districts to send 2 tributes to fight to the death contribute to the wiki...

You're such a good little trooper, working on the wiki all by your lonesome. I wish I had time to help you, but alas, I do not. Finals and all.
Thankfully, the end of my school year is approaching, and once that (and a subsequent trip to Germany) is past, I'm going to see what I can do with the wiki. Considering skimming the entirety of the OTC to come up with a list of what pages various trends (religions/orders, poetry, major conversations such as third-person gender neutral pronouns) in the thread started on/found a resurgence on. Not a guarantee, but a map of the OTT may be in our (distant) future at some point.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed May 29, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:You're such a good little trooper, working on the wiki all by your lonesome. I wish I had time to help you, but alas, I do not. Finals and all.
Thankfully, the end of my school year is approaching, and once that (and a subsequent trip to Germany) is past, I'm going to see what I can do with the wiki. Considering skimming the entirety of the OTC to come up with a list of what pages various trends (religions/orders, poetry, major conversations such as third-person gender neutral pronouns) in the thread started on/found a resurgence on. Not a guarantee, but a map of the OTT may be in our (distant) future at some point.

That sounds like an epic idea! I've thought of similar while doing lots of back-reading for the wiki.
Meanwhile, good luck on finals!
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

ElWanderer

Postby ElWanderer » Wed May 29, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

Blast. I didn't check the comic/thread whilst at work and it looks like I missed a fantastic opportunity to mangle Pratchett and say "do deformed molpy; it's my favourite"
Now I am become Geoff, the destroyer of worlds

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

ElWanderer wrote:Blast. I didn't check the comic/thread whilst at work and it looks like I missed a fantastic opportunity to mangle Pratchett and say "do deformed molpy; it's my favourite"

You've said it now, I notice...

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
ergman wrote:

Sounds like that needs a picture of Mila Jovovoich from Fifth Element holding up a mitre.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed May 29, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

You know, it would be just like GLR to have Planet of the Molpies end with the revelation that they were on Cassinite Madagascar all along. I mean, it's obvious in retrospect… right? :D
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

Does anyone have a list of the Knights Temporal?

Just wondering. :D

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Wed May 29, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

ElWanderer wrote:Blast. I didn't check the comic/thread whilst at work and it looks like I missed a fantastic opportunity to mangle Pratchett and say "do deformed molpy; it's my favourite"

Aaah! I suspect my neighbors may think I'm insane, I let out a huge guffaw and cackle when I read that. How is it that with all the Pratchett fans about, you're the only one who thought of that?!
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed May 29, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

slinches wrote:Last prickly palm-like plant ONG?Image

M&C will have sore feet soon
Because
Spoiler:
Time wounds all heels
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:<snip>
M&C will have sore feet soon
Because
Spoiler:
Time wounds all heels

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I like, I like very much.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:@HAL9000 - I wanted to say that from my perspective, you have really grown and matured over the course of this thread. And I would say the same thing even if I did not know you were in high school. You have learned to try to moderate your tone, you have taken input quite well, and you even have noted in your sig, "I occasionally go off on a rant about some trivial thing or another. You don't really need to listen to those." To me, you have become a bit of a leader on this thread. Yes, you get a bit testy sometimes, but we each have our quirks, and overall I think we have all learned to be quite accepting of each other.

Why thank you! This is really my first serious attempt at participating in an internet forum; all of my accounts on other forums were created primarily to ask a specific question or share a specific piece of knowledge. So this whole thing is kind of new to me (hence my zealous adherence to The Rules).
As for being a leader in the thread, I suppose my postcount would indicate that. I haven't really thought of myself as such, because I don't really have any great achievements, unlike many others with their custom-made .gifs, newpix-posting scripts, quote constellations, credits pages, maps, etc. Unless you count 12 consecutive ONGs, but that's little more than an exercise in extreme sleep deprivation. I suppose my lack of measurable contributions (beyond my ability to reference the same things over and over 'till the pod bay doors open) means that my leadership takes the form of moral support1 or something.
buffygirl wrote:We all like each other too much to pick on each other. I think all of us have learned a lot more patience and tolerance here. I know that I have had plenty of times when I feel annoyed or hurt, and in the past I might have responded defensively. But now, this thread is too important and special, and I don't want to contribute to a negative tone. It makes it un-fun.

This sort of thing has been said before (albeit differently, and by different users), but doesn't really get old.
buffygirl wrote:MWAH!

*hat tip*

1Well, more likely amoral support (not to be confused with immoral support), what with me being a homicidal AI. Amoral support and shotguns.
Exodies wrote:M&C will have sore feet soon
Because
Spoiler:
Time wounds all heels

:cringe:
Last edited by HAL9000 on Wed May 29, 2013 8:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed May 29, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

<blindreply>

edfel wrote:My intuition is that the gaps are negligible, but we can't be 100% sure, unless they take the same path in reverse direction, with the frames overlapping the stiches...
I think the recent backtracking, with its perfect layout, shows that there probably is no skipping between frames. (see, I knew it was a significant camera movement!)

edfel wrote:To the question "can we": yes with the panoramas, BUT there are some accuracy problems:
- 1 Cueball does not always amount to the same number of pixels (if I remember correctly, I'd say 46px+-4px). Maybe Azule scaled the frames to have constant px/Cue, but I doubt that. So to have something like a good estimation, we would need a precise average of the cue/px ratio. Without that, we may have a 10% error...
I didn't notice (read: measure) Cueball's size difference.... I'll have to check that.

</blindreply>

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:Is it too early to start planning an Outside meetup for next yip?

I think an actual meetup would be a splendidly fantabulous idea. Though maybe we should wait until we run out of Time (heh) or a nice long span of time has elapsed. Say, after a year or so has passed, we start planning a meetup.
It needs to happen eventually. There's too many ideas popping into my head for what we all could do if such a meetup were to occur.
I'll bring the Skittles.
TheMinim wrote:Does anyone have a list of the Knights Temporal?

Just wondering. :D

It's a self-declared thing. If you want to join, go for it. The Wiki was in its early stages of rapid response and page creation, so there's quite a bit on the Wiki about all of the religions that formed around then.
TimeLurker wrote: :shock: OMR, we've learned too much lately (time of day, shadows, direction). We are being preparred for IT! Yes, that IT! and with IT the end of Time.

Maybe Randall's purpose for creating the OTC was to gather a group of total strangers and have them educate each other and form a close-knit group. Why? Because he needs us for a mission. He can't do this alone, so he's training us for the task.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed May 29, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Yeah, but the first thing that comes into my head today has been some variation of "blubbity blurp, dippy zing"
If I start to respond, I get halfway through the first sentence and either completely lose my train of thought, or realize I'm basically saying the exact same thing as what I'm responding to. It's annoying.

blubbity blurp, dippy zing..... I've felt like this all day, and, amazingly enough, you've said it better than I could have...........
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Yeah, but the first thing that comes into my head today has been some variation of "blubbity blurp, dippy zing"
If I start to respond, I get halfway through the first sentence and either completely lose my train of thought, or realize I'm basically saying the exact same thing as what I'm responding to. It's annoying.

blubbity blurp, dippy zing..... I've felt like this all day, and, amazingly enough, you've said it better than I could have...........

blubbity blurp, dippy zONG

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed May 29, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
uaeio wrote:Just a thought: Can we calculate how high they've climbed?
<snip>

Check out edfel's glorious map that has done just that!

BlitzGirl wrote:Sounds like you're also thinking of a panorama, uaeio, like this one azule put together:
http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=36570&mode=view

Indeed, I based my calculations on the panoramas (actually, only the one from the delta to the dunes).

To the question "can we": yes with the panoramas, BUT there are some accuracy problems:
- 1 Cueball does not always amount to the same number of pixels (if I remember correctly, I'd say 46px+-4px). Maybe Azule scaled the frames to have constant px/Cue, but I doubt that. So to have something like a good estimation, we would need a precise average of the cue/px ratio. Without that, we may have a 10% error...
- we do have a point 0: in the fake loop around frame 1000. The problem is, point 0 here is the sea1,<insert std. fotnote for "does what it wants" here>, which... does what it wants, and thus is not a very relevant "point 0". We also know that the cliff they walk on after the delta is 7q high above the Neat River. (although a river is not a much better reference than the sea...)
- we're not completely sure that there are no gaps between frames (in particular, at some points, cuegan are at the right edge of a frame, and they move "only" to the left edge of the next one, when they should have been able to cross at least half of it). My intuition is that the gaps are negligible, but we can't be 100% sure, unless they take the same path in reverse direction, with the frames overlapping the stiches...

Neither can we be sure there are no gaps within Frames (left part of the scenery, stuff in the middle snipped, right part of the scenery) as I mentioned NPs ago.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed May 29, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
kenmelken wrote:So, I'm actually just about to make that page. Are there any further objections or discussion for or against "Questioning the Quest at the Abandoned Habitation" before I do so?
As JeanLuc would say to his seamstress, "Make it sew!"

Jose

Bahaha. Done: http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Questioning_the_Quest_at_the_Abandoned_Habitation

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Dark(ish) thought: What if the active users we've lost found the OTT too much of a time vortex and decided to follow the comic but not the thread, and make their own interpretations?

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 29, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Maybe Randall's purpose for creating the OTC was to gather a group of total strangers and have them educate each other and form a close-knit group. Why? Because he needs us for a mission. He can't do this alone, so he's training us for the task.

I believe you've said before that Randall will unlikely ever say anything about the OTC. So perhaps it is our task to explain it to the rest of the outside... maybe we actually know more about the why of the OTC than Randall does? Maybe...
Spoiler:
we are all Randall?!!!
Image- Kieryn

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Maybe Randall's purpose for creating the OTC was to gather a group of total strangers and have them educate each other and form a close-knit group. Why? Because he needs us for a mission. He can't do this alone, so he's training us for the task.

I believe you've said before that Randall will unlikely ever say anything about the OTC. So perhaps it is our task to explain it to the rest of the outside... maybe we actually know more about the why of the OTC than Randall does? Maybe...
Spoiler:
we are all Randall?!!!

Or maybe he wants us to choose his successor when he dies/retires/transcends this plane of existence and transforms into a being of pure mathematics. We've already had practice as a papal conclave, after all.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 29, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Kieryn wrote:

Spoiler:
we are all Randall?!!!

Or maybe he wants us to choose his successor when he dies/retires/transcends this plane of existence and transforms into a being of pure mathematics. We've already had practice as a papal conclave, after all.

So like, you're saying the OTT is actually a big tour of the chocolate factory?
Image- Kieryn

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed May 29, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Dark(ish) thought: What if the active users we've lost found the OTT too much of a time vortex and decided to follow the comic but not the thread, and make their own interpretations?

you mean like come up with ideas, imagine the surroundings, estimate heights and distances, ponder the meaning of the dialogue, name the flora and fauna and speculate on the future all on their own???
Sounds lonely.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Wed May 29, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
TheMinim wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:...and slowly making progress against the steady tide of Time -- I'm now 14 NP's behind...

Steady? It's not steady. It's calm at some times and chaotic at millions of others.

It averages out to steady.

I'm not going to lie. I've started posts something like 5 times today, and realized halfway through the post that I had absolutely nothing to say. I'm apparently boring today.

Posting the first thing that comes into my head works very well for me! :lol: :lol:

Ok. I like sausage. Was that random enough? That was truly the first English sentence popping out of my head. Please don't judge me.

buffygirl wrote:Ok, I HATE it when I fail to click "Save" when using the multi-quote script!
*busily tries to recreate the oh-so-very-important things that have gone missing*

Oops... Guess I should implement an auto-save then. Sorry for the inconvenience. :oops:

buffygirl wrote:@Everyone - On a similar note, we don't have the "grammar police" and "spelling police" going on that often occur in forum settings. We might have had a bit at the beginning, but truth is, those things don't really matter much (other than spelling Jabberwocky, of course. THAT'S important). I think that those types of things are largely about bullying, i.e. "you are such an idiot you don't even know how to spell _____." We all like each other too much to pick on each other that way. I think all of us have learned a lot more patience and tolerance here. I know that I have had plenty of times when I feel annoyed or hurt, and in the past I might have responded defensively. But now, this thread is too important and special, and I don't want to contribute to a negative tone. It makes it un-fun.

I'm glad there's no grammar police, because I believe there are many of us whose native language is not English. I'm pretty sure some of my sentences must sound quite unnatural.

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
TheMinim wrote:
Dracomax wrote: <snip>
But you are an idiot if you don't know how to spell onomat onamotop onimetipi Never mind.

As for Tarot, Other than Judgement, I don't think it's gotten any farther.

Onomatopoeia?

I never even realized I could spell it until that moment... :shock: :shock:

That's OnomatopoeiaMolpy to you, bub.

Molpy sounds like a great onomatopoeia. But I wonder what would make that kind of sound.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 29, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Dark(ish) thought: What if the active users we've lost found the OTT too much of a time vortex and decided to follow the comic but not the thread, and make their own interpretations?

you mean like come up with ideas, imagine the surroundings, estimate heights and distances, ponder the meaning of the dialogue, name the flora and fauna and speculate on the future all on their own???
Sounds lonely.

Wow, talk about the multiverse... there could be a whole universe where molpies are known as folpies... Eeeeew! *shudders*
Image- Kieryn

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
fhorn wrote:

Sounds lonely.

Wow, talk about the multiverse... there could be a whole universe where molpies are known as folpies... Eeeeew! *shudders*

Or even known as squirrels.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 29, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

Chocolate factory tour makes so much sense, including the loss of posters along the way...

kenmelken wrote:
ttscp wrote:And since when has there been opposition in the OTT to being over the top?
<snip>
So, I'm actually just about to make that page. Are there any further objections or discussion for or against "Questioning the Quest at the Abandoned Habitation" before I do so?

I like it. :D

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:

They didn't drift away, they were swallowed whole!

Earthling on Mars wrote:

Go ahead. We've got Time.

Jose

It's on our side for 600, Alex!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”