1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Thu May 30, 2013 3:49 am UTC

mscha wrote:But feel free to declare a competing standard where ¹ is small and ² is big.
It would be more fun to define a competing standard where "big" is small and "small" is big.

charlie_grumbles wrote:There is a lesson here for teachers. Your job is NOT to teach what you know. As proved above, a lot of what you (actually I) know is useless garbage. Your job is to teach them what they need to know.
Well put. However...
then charlie_grumbles goes on, having wrote:...We don't teach how to use slide rules anymore as that would be a waste of the student's time...
That would be a shortsighted view of what a valuable use of student's time is. A slide rule is visceral. It requires more of the student's brain, and also allows actual interaction with the concepts being used (which a calculator does not). This leads to a deeper understanding of the math (multplication, logarithms, and exponents in this case, but the principle is the same). That is most certainly not a waste of the student's time.

Of course, once the student has gained the understanding that the slide rule helps to develop, it can be supplanted. But skipping that step risks glossing over something fundamentally important.

The object of education, fundamentally, isn't to "get the right answer" or to "make more money" or to "get a better job". It is to "enable yourself to enjoy life to the fullest", and that comes from a deep understanding of all life has to offer. Students need to know that.

They short circuit it at their peril.

CasCat wrote:C^ha^hs^hC^ha^ht^h BlitzGirl the Next (until the next one....)
No, not just until the next one. You keep your name CasCat, and gain the title BlitzGirl the Next, keeping that title for all Time and for all of time. You are joining very honored ranks.

lmjb1964 wrote:@richP, ucim and mscha: Do you generally have a standard way of creating generalized standards?
Yes and no.

Kieryn wrote:I kind of have no time to do much in terms of new features/improvements at the moment. The data update takes me around 0.3-0.5np and I only get about 0.5-0.7np per dix to work on this stuff at all. I'm thinking of temporarily reducing my data updates from dix to wix for the short term so I can focus on automation/improvements/new stuff. Would anyone have any serious objection to this?
No objections. We appreciate and enjoy all you do, but hope it always remains fun for you, and feasible too.

mathrec quoted Randall Munroe as having wrote::
To explain, let’s consider one more scenario. Namely, what if this change were made on our Earth, over a fairly short time?

We’re assuming that all the material is magically shifted around, so there are no massive tsunamis or earthquakes. Even so, it would definitely still be a catastrophe. For starters, the ice caps would melt long before new ones could develop, pushing the ocean up by a few hundred feet.
I think you just won the thread. Game, set, and match.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Thu May 30, 2013 3:52 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Weird, the ONG still isn't loading for me on either xkcd.com or the imgs server. Bad case of the hiccups, I guess.
ETA that I can see it fine here, but can't get any of Randall's sites to load it.

<blindpost from 25 pages back (GLR save me what did I do this weekend? Oh, yeah... that.....) but I snuck forward to see what the problem is>
I haven't been seeing any of the images load from xkcd.com for the past few hours. Neither the site nor the images here are are showing up :( Anyone else having issues? I want to see squirlpi.

ETA more troubleshooting info
Last edited by astrocub on Thu May 30, 2013 4:01 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu May 30, 2013 3:58 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:Maple Bacon Flavored Ground Coffee 1 lb. Bag

Just sayin' ...

I think this has been referenced before, but it appeared in my inbox.

:shock: Amazing! I got the same email! How did they know? ...

To steal a phrase, It's All Related.

It couldn't possibly have been due to the copious amount of searches on our part for baconated coffee a few days ago.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 3:58 am UTC

I have not been having any issues accessing the site. Been completely normal for me.

And now, I believe it is time for me to celebrate, as I pass into the triple-digit realm of posts!.

To commemorate, I've made you all a GIFt:

Spoiler:
100Posts.gif
My 100 post celebration GIFt.
100Posts.gif (668.04 KiB) Viewed 15270 times

Now I guess it's time to put on those hats HAL made...
Last edited by kenmelken on Thu May 30, 2013 4:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu May 30, 2013 3:59 am UTC

astrocub wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Weird, the ONG still isn't loading for me on either xkcd.com or the imgs server. Bad case of the hiccups, I guess.
ETA that I can see it fine here, but can't get any of Randall's sites to load it.

<blindpost from 25 pages back (GLR save me what did I do this weekend?) but I snuck forward to see what the problem is>
I haven't been seeing any of the images load from xkcd.com for the past few hours. :( Anyone else having issues?

Still loading fine for me...

Spoiler:

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 4:03 am UTC

Base of the mountONGs?
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu May 30, 2013 4:04 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:I have not been having any issues accessing the site. Been completely normal for me.

And now, I believe it is time for me to celebrate, as I pass into the triple-digit realm of posts!.

100Posts.gif

Now I guess it's time to put on those hats...

Very nice .gif, but didn't you forget something? ... You're supposed to say something childishly profane like "penis!"

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:05 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:Now I guess it's time to put on those hats HAL made...

Yussss
I even gave the bird a hat, did you notice?

Also, as for the comic page, it's working for me now. But that could be due to my being on my iPad as opposed to my laptop.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu May 30, 2013 4:11 am UTC

Lots of great content today, but...
Yawn. I'm tired. Do you know what that means? It's time for a sip of..
image.jpg
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 30, 2013 4:14 am UTC

@ergman - Great image! (one post up) Did you use a coma chameleon to help you make it?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Thu May 30, 2013 4:15 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
astrocub wrote:

<blindpost from 25 pages back (GLR save me what did I do this weekend?) but I snuck forward to see what the problem is>
I haven't been seeing any of the images load from xkcd.com for the past few hours. :( Anyone else having issues?

Still loading fine for me...

Spoiler:

Oh thank the Randally guitar raptor ChronosDragon for bringing such glory to mine eyes! Please, everyone start screencapping every image since the squirlpy appeared so that I may mustard mayonaise ketchup relish the beauty that is the OTC!
kidding, not necessary.
Seriously though, this is what I get:
notime.jpg

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu May 30, 2013 4:19 am UTC

Blitzposting before I coma.

Spoiler:
I've made good progress today, and fully read 125 pages. I witnessed the start of a religion. I entered the MADNESS, and am a little surprised that I'm still in it (it goes on for over a hundred pages!!) My favorite part is this one screenshot:

Many theories were exchanged, and I am currently witnessing the papal elections.

And, I found this funny in it's own way:
dangerous wrote:
KarMann wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
dangerous wrote:hapful pre Passover fools Thing that keeps slipping into the future screwup day from the UK!
All hail the nüpix
next prediction: megan be digging some kind of tunnel
possibly click & drag style to an underground labyrinth.

hwæt be this umlat-flavored heresy

it be dangerous.

you rang?

Hope to one day see everyone again in the Present!

--Taixzo
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 4:21 am UTC

slinches wrote:Very nice .gif, but didn't you forget something? ... You're supposed to say something childishly profane like "penis!"

Not quite my style... (and I've never made qualms about being a non-conformist)
But maybe I'm just ovary-acting...
;)

EDIT:
@HAL9000 I did notice the Eternity Bird's hat and was appreciative. :)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 30, 2013 4:26 am UTC

Oh, I expected this but posted anyway, reason kicking in later. Ninja'd.
Last edited by Exodies on Thu May 30, 2013 4:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Thu May 30, 2013 4:27 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:Maple Bacon Flavored Ground Coffee 1 lb. Bag

Just sayin' ...

I think this has been referenced before, but it appeared in my inbox.

I like the sound of that -- combines three of the best things about breakfast -- but I recently tried this Bacon Maple Ale.

Honestly? I found it a little disappointing. But I seemed to be alone in that -- my wife and friends loved it.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:35 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
slinches wrote:Very nice .gif, but didn't you forget something? ... You're supposed to say something childishly profane like "penis!"

;)

EDIT:

High up in the North in the land called Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is a hundred miles high and a hundred miles wide. Once every thousand years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its image...
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 4:40 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
kenmelken wrote:@HAL9000 I did notice the Eternity Bird's hat and was appreciative. :)

High up in the North in the land called Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is a hundred miles high and a hundred miles wide. Once every thousand years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its image...

Bahaha. Yes. And when he comes, HAL9000 is there waiting to oblige him...

Then he goes back to Wait for the next newpix...

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu May 30, 2013 4:45 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
kenmelken wrote:

;)

EDIT:

I went to go reread that whatif and I noticed an interesting image at the bottom...

Alt-text: where do you go the rest of the time, bird?

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Thu May 30, 2013 4:46 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:And now, I believe it is time for me to celebrate, as I pass into the triple-digit realm of posts!.

Spoiler:

That GIF is amazing. Congratulations!
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 4:53 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
kenmelken wrote:

;)

EDIT:

I went to go reread that whatif and I noticed an interesting image at the bottom...
Spoiler:
Alt-text: where do you go the rest of the time, bird?

Wow... that looks eerily familiar... ;)

Incidentally, that one is in a tie with this one for my all-time favorite "what-if" posts.
(Robot apocalypse and everybody jump are also classic...)

EDIT: @BlueCrab: Thanks. :)

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 30, 2013 4:55 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
slinches wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
slinches wrote:
ttscp wrote:DirectiONG!
[spoiler]Image
Walking east along the sea, in the morning (can we determine what frames were morning?)

If they were walking east along the sea shore for days, then they would have to be on the north or south end of the landmass they're on (or on a really large bay on the west coast). That should help narrow the search parameters a bit for those scouring google maps.

It would have to be the south--they were walking to the right and going east.

That does seem more likely, but I was trying not to rule out any awkward or deceptive camera angle changes (like flipping to a S facing view as they started walking).

They came across the river while moving to the right. the shots of them from behind were from behind going up the river. GLR would have ahd to break the 180° rule multiple times to make it work in any way from the North. Given that, the most likely answer(because it would require a lot fewer assumptions) is that they are on the north edge of the sea, or the south edge of their section of landmass.

Doesn't this analysis only work in the northern hemisphere?

That analysis is OK for either northern or southern hemisphere. (The sun rises in the east in the southern hemisphere.)

However, if the land of Time is a Cassini rotated version of our earth with the equator on our Greenwich meridian, then east in the land of Time would traverse the same landscape in Cassinite Madagascar as south would in our Madagascar.

Edit: I was going to add "Cassinite heretic (unless it becomes canon)" to my sig, but I realized that it could be a spoiler for blitzers.
Last edited by mathrec on Thu May 30, 2013 5:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 5:00 am UTC

ClimbONG that ledge!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu May 30, 2013 5:02 am UTC

(ninja'd) I guessed they'd be climbong in this frame :D Though I didn't actually place that guess, as it was fairly obvious. Though if I had, they'd probably have stopped to talk first or something :P
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Thu May 30, 2013 5:14 am UTC

mscha wrote:... (A reverse BlitzGirl.)

No, I'm not gonna ask about this one. No way!
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 30, 2013 5:21 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:I too, agree. For example, I believe that semencancercoffeebabbiesonice has many many different permutations. It's more OTT-like to allow for variations. Yes, it makes it harder to "define" on the OTW, but that's ok. The definitions of molpy and/or raptor could include something like, "used in what sometimes appears to be a hap-hazard manner to append to or combine with animal names, regardless of whether they are recognizable as a planet-earth form of life."

Some additional comments

Pet peeve: It's spelled Jabberwocky, gosh darn it!
<snip snap mangle>

Two un-housetrained peeves:
Don't forget we are not naming plants and animals, we are naming arrangements of pixels and mustard.

It's jabbering on about the Walk, so it's spelled any other way than Jabberwocky.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu May 30, 2013 5:33 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:

I don't know why, but that prompted me to do a Google images search for "BlitzGirl" ...

About half of what shows up are neat reminders about events in the OTT. The rest are ... shall we say, different?

Edited to fix proper noun capitalization
Last edited by slinches on Thu May 30, 2013 5:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 30, 2013 5:37 am UTC

Huh. That is, um. Quite the assortment of images.
I should mention that this is the only place on the net where I use the name BlitzGirl, so all that other Chaos is not connected to me.

AluisioASG wrote:(click!)
Spoiler:

That is awefulsomeness! :D

I wonder how far Cuegan will go before pulling rope and carabiners out of their bags to assist them?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu May 30, 2013 5:55 am UTC

slinches wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:

I don't know why, but that prompted me to do a Google images search for "BlitzGirl" ...

About half of what shows up are neat reminders about events in the OTT. The rest are ... shall we say, different?

Sciscitor.. I'm glad my mind wasn't the only one that went there. *ahem*
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 5:56 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Ahh, my cover has been blown! Yes, I work for a top-secret branch of the CIA called Raptor And Zombie Observation and Relocation (RAZOR). Our motto is "Keeping the world safe from zombies, should we ever find any, and raptors, even though they aren't usually dangerous to humans." It's a terrible motto. I'm not sure who came up with it. Yes, it's a dangerous job, but someone has to do it.

So, uh, I made this official seal for RAZOR... and now looking at it I realize that it's so awesome I'd like to know how to join! :P

(unlock spoiler below and click for full-size)
Spoiler:
RAZOR.png
Last edited by kenmelken on Thu May 30, 2013 5:59 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu May 30, 2013 5:57 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:(click!)
Spoiler:

Night Fury! With an hourglass! Intriguing...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 6:00 am UTC

LiftONG the bags.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu May 30, 2013 6:06 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
slinches wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:

Okay, after some additional ... um ... "research". I've come to the the conclusion that Google is sexist and will show images of scantily clad (mostly) attractive women when given anything identifiably feminine as a search term.

Edit: To get back on topic, what are Megball going to do when they run into an actual obstacle? That little ledge should barely slow the stride of anyone with even average athletic ability.
Last edited by slinches on Thu May 30, 2013 6:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu May 30, 2013 6:57 am UTC

slinches wrote:
Valarya wrote:
slinches wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:

Okay, after some additional ... um ... "research". I've come to the the conclusion that Google is sexist and will show images of scantily clad (mostly) attractive women when given anything identifiably feminine as a search term.

You can only get out what we put in :P
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 7:00 am UTC

ONG again. Don't fall!

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu May 30, 2013 7:02 am UTC

HelpONG Cueball up
Spoiler:

Darn, ninja'd.

ETA: My previous point stands though. That ledge should be easy to just hop up onto. They've already shown some leaping ability at the dunes.
Last edited by slinches on Thu May 30, 2013 7:06 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Ace

Postby Ace » Thu May 30, 2013 7:02 am UTC

mathrec wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
Flado wrote:
StratPlayer, nodding head knowingly, wrote:See? It's ALL related!

I salute thee, fellow believer in the fundamental interconnectedness of all things!

Cool! And you know, that's actually a Douglas Adams book I've never read. :shock: But I'm going to have to remedy that post-haste!!!

Really? I had always assumed that your tag line was a Dirk Gently reference. FWIW, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul is a much better book, IMHO. If you're only going to read one Dirk Gently book, that should be it. (I don't think you'd lose anything by reading Tea-Time before Detective Agency, if you decided to read both.)

There was a relatively recently produced BBC series featuring Dirk Gently, with a very 'Douglas Adams' sort of 'almost, but not quite, like the <other media> version' feel.i I loved the books, and I loved the TV series as well. If you don't have time for a book, there are only three episodes and a pilot. Sadly, it was not renewed for a second series.

iSee: Hitchhiker's Guide radio series, books, TV series, movie - all different.
Wait for it.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu May 30, 2013 7:37 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:ONG again. Don't fall!

Permit me to hazard a small prediction: Trees soon... and steeper slopes,... and a while later...
Spoiler:
Mario?
climbing.png
climbing.png (21.21 KiB) Viewed 14974 times
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu May 30, 2013 7:39 am UTC

If we are going to advise books, I'd advise:
Thief of Time, by Terry Pratchet.
It's a book about Time management, but not quite the usual kind.

W00t I R PFaNP!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu May 30, 2013 7:51 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:
I have not been having any issues accessing the site. Been completely normal for me.

100Posts.gif

Aww! Nice work Kenmelken! :D
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

Icalasari

Postby Icalasari » Thu May 30, 2013 7:58 am UTC

How many freaking frames are in this?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”