1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kenmelken

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 8:00 am UTC

ONG top of the little ledge they could have jumped up ONGto.

@Swein: Thanks. :)
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 8:02 am UTC

Icalasari wrote:How many freaking frames are in this?

So far, 1708. Doesn't show any signs of ending any time soon.

If you want to view all of them, try this: http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/

or this: http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/

Double post was only for the ONG.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu May 30, 2013 8:18 am UTC

Up to now: 1709 frames. You can watch them at your own leisure at Geekwagon or by BlitzGirling this topic (reading it from the start, watching the insanity grow in the topic and probably yourself. If you do: Please post your progress)
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 30, 2013 8:36 am UTC

Aw, that's adorable. *pats Icalasari* Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 9:00 am UTC

Do you think the MountONG they're climbing has a hat?
BTW, I believe that's my 8th ONG in a row.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 30, 2013 9:06 am UTC

Like this?
Spoiler:

(Still not as stylish as all your hatted mountains!) :wink:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 9:11 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Like this?
Spoiler:

Whoa... That's completely epic. Now all it needs is its own eternity bird with a hat as well!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu May 30, 2013 9:49 am UTC

Spoiler:

That's cool, just like a super huge mushroom.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 10:00 am UTC

They should sing a sONG in the mountains
9 Ongs straight now

LeahLemur

Postby LeahLemur » Thu May 30, 2013 10:01 am UTC

doctorray wrote:Hello all, my first reply to this thread, but I've been lurking since the beginning. I don't read every newpage though (sorry!). I really love all the stuff you guys have done. I'm wondering if OTC will end with a meetup or if it will go on forever... XKCD meetups are fun, I went to the one in San Francisco that was decoded from the XKCD Vol 0 book a couple years ago. Someone brought xkcd boom de yada cupcakes!

Anyway, carry on! have fun!

edit: because this was my FP ever it got delayed for mod approval which was, oh, about 3 newpages. So will anyone see it ever?? Oh well. :)

Since my firstpost took a while too, here's a bump for you, doctorray :)
"This Thread goes ever on and on,
down from the Page where it began.
Now far ahead the Thread has gone
and we must ketchup if we can"

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu May 30, 2013 10:41 am UTC

And caught up after coma! Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Thu May 30, 2013 10:52 am UTC

partingLance wrote:Well, that was a big dollop, or barrel, of ketchup... not having been current with the OTT since NP 374 (or newpix 761), I'm finally back to the present. How do, all y'all?

Oh, just read this. Welcome to the present partingLance!! BlitzGirl the Next!

I'm a handful of days late, but I don't think it's ever a bad time for cheese pie? :)

Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu May 30, 2013 10:58 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:
They should sing a sONG in the mountains

9 Ongs straight now

Now that's one more area for statistics! Number of ONGs, ONGs in a row, length of ONG texts. The possibilities are unlimited! :mrgreen:
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 11:00 am UTC

ONG. Not much new.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 30, 2013 11:15 am UTC

I think I'll have some ketchup with my morning cocoa.

BlueCrab wrote:May I consider you as an adopted brother? You don't have to look at any pictures of babies, just throw an occasional mathematical pun out there and know it's appreciated.

Sure, sis. (Pretty sure you earlier implied it would be sis and not bro)

Dracomax + Tolkien wrote:DO not argue with wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger...

For you sci fy fans out there (and who here isn't?), I recommend the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin. All the wizards you could want and a fair number of dragons as well. There was once a dispute about whether Harry Potter was inspired here (or stolen from here).

ucim wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:There is a lesson here for teachers. Your job is NOT to teach what you know. As proved above, a lot of what you (actually I) know is useless garbage. Your job is to teach them what they need to know.
Well put. However...
then charlie_grumbles goes on, having wrote:...We don't teach how to use slide rules anymore as that would be a waste of the student's time...
That would be a shortsighted view of what a valuable use of student's time is. A slide rule is visceral. It requires more of the student's brain, and also allows actual interaction with the concepts being used (which a calculator does not). This leads to a deeper understanding of the math (multplication, logarithms, and exponents in this case, but the principle is the same). That is most certainly not a waste of the student's time.

Of course, once the student has gained the understanding that the slide rule helps to develop, it can be supplanted. But skipping that step risks glossing over something fundamentally important.
<snip>
They short circuit it at their peril.

Yes, you made the point well on the specific case. Now, let me teach you about the "hidden bit in floating point representation....." <no, don't even ask>

The slide rule has little value "in itself" these days, but as a kinesthetic bridge to understanding, yes, well said.
ucim wrote:The object of education, fundamentally, isn't to "get the right answer" or to "make more money" or to "get a better job". It is to "enable yourself to enjoy life to the fullest", and that comes from a deep understanding of all life has to offer. Students need to know that.

Well said. I would add only ".. and do a bit of good in the world."

kenmelkin via sig wrote:High up in the North in the land called Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is a hundred miles high and a hundred miles wide. Once every thousand years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. When the rock has thus been worn away, then a single day of eternity will have gone by.

But now that the Svithjod rock is hatted, did eternity get a bit longer. The little bird now has to peck through the hat before it can sharpen its beak.

Oh well. We can ...
Wait for it.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu May 30, 2013 11:17 am UTC

*waits for it and hopes it is good*
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Vytron

Re: Chapter 12 of the Gospel of tman2nd.

Postby Vytron » Thu May 30, 2013 11:17 am UTC

- Blindpost -

tman2nd wrote:
Vytron wrote:Then, I find in horror that tman2nd and lmjb1964 have been lost in the past! Oh no! I'm catching up so that we can spend some time together! The present will not be the same if I ketchup and you're not there. Good luck with blitzing, and Randallspeed!

I'm on my way! I hope to meet you soon! :)

Hey tman2nd! Welcome to NP 718!

It was really cool to meet you in the "Where in the world is patzer" Forum game, it felt like, going to a place outside of Time, or, meeting someone of real life that you've only meet online. For once, we were on the same moment in time :)
Cheers Marsh'n!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu May 30, 2013 11:20 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Of course, once the student has gained the understanding that the slide rule helps to develop, it can be supplanted. But skipping that step risks glossing over something fundamentally important.

Obligatory reference: "Feeling of Power," I. Asimov.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu May 30, 2013 11:23 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:ONG. Not much new.
Spoiler:

Not much new? It's a new bit of environment we see, the ground keeps going up. It's still a mystery how high the top will be.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu May 30, 2013 11:47 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:

Whoa... That's completely epic. Now all it needs is its own eternity bird with a hat as well!

Here you go:
Attachments
hatted_mountain_bird.jpg
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu May 30, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:Nobody asked about avatars, but it sort of goes with the question about forum handles. My avatar is a scroll saw snowflake. Mirror symmetry with rotation of three. I free cut it as an exercise, trying to learn how to use the scroll saw and liked the result enough that I mounted it.
I became fascinated with snowflakes (the paper kind) a while ago, started cutting more and more intricate patterns and strange symmetries (three rotations, and translations) got dissatisfied with paper (it slides when you cut it as in traditional snowflakes so the pattern doesn't repeat quite correctly), and developed a computer program. Got the scroll saw to investigate a different way of doing it.

Here, since you asked, is one of the computer generated snowflakes.

Spoiler:

Whoa! That's pretty nifty. I wonder what would happen if I draw random lines as vectors and rotate them like that...

Spoiler:

Hmmm, interesting, it reminds me of the pictures one could draw with a spyrograph in a note book. Which gives me an idea...

Spoiler:

:shock:

Okay, never mind!
Cheers Marsh'n!

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 30, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

Z
O
(Cassini-inspired)

Edit: so they're still following the river, but at a distance.
Edit2:
kenmelken wrote:11
Nope.

No Image from me todix. (Read it all, like it all, nothing specific to say.)
Last edited by mscha on Thu May 30, 2013 12:02 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

Prettier alONG the river...
Spoiler:

EDIT: BAH! Streak broken by mscha ninja!

EDIT ALSO: ZoomanSP--Love the Kung Fu Panda Eternity Bird!
Last edited by kenmelken on Thu May 30, 2013 12:04 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Thu May 30, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:How about "Debate at the Campsite"? Then you get both the decisionness and the geographical featureness. Rewatching that Period, I would definitely say that the debating takes a majority of it. Plus a title like that would spice up the "___ Period, ___ Period, ___ Period" titles that are filling up this era.

Preview ninja'd: ttscp's "Questioning the Quest" is a good name too. Either way, I recommend leaving off the "Period". :wink:

Ooh. Both are good. I still am debating whether or not to label what they've found a campsite, given that it assumedly would have had a more permanent purpose given the planting of the vineyard ("Debate at the Abandoned Habitation"??? is that too formal/austere/nerdy???). Still, I like how, as you said, your suggestion encompasses both the distinct plot importance of the period and the geographical setting. I also like the alliteration of ttscp's suggestion.

I suppose we could go with "Questioning the Quest at the Abandoned Habitation" but that might be getting just a bit over the top... :P

And since when has there been opposition in the OTT to being over the top?

Isn't 'over the top' what the OTT stands for?1

Ronald

1 Double meaning intended.
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 30, 2013 12:23 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
slinches wrote:
Valarya wrote:
slinches wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
mscha wrote:... (A reverse BlitzGirl.)

No, I'm not gonna ask about this one. No way!

I don't know why, but that prompted me to do a Google images search for "BlitzGirl" ...

About half of what shows up are neat reminders about events in the OTT. The rest are ... shall we say, different?

Edited to fix proper noun capitalization

Sciscitor.. I'm glad my mind wasn't the only one that went there. *ahem*

Okay, after some additional ... um ... "research". I've come to the the conclusion that Google is sexist and will show images of scantily clad (mostly) attractive women when given anything identifiably feminine as a search term.

You can only get out what we put in :P

That's what she ... SorrySorrySorrySorrySorry
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 30, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Now, let me teach you about the "hidden bit in floating point representation....." <no, don't even ask>
I've got Time. Lay it on me!

And that was an awesome hatted hill BlitzGirl found there, nicely birded by ZoomanSP! I can't find the original post of the pencil drawing quoted as from AluisioASG though. Did I miss something? (How is that possible in a thread that moves this slowly?)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu May 30, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

Drama, et al.

Spoiler:
I found the cure of drama! Whenever someone on the OTT starts saying something that stresses you, or to which you strongly disagree with, or something, just, change its voice/accent to one from the people of Feedbackula :) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72lqIVzMyu8

Who can get angry at something that sounds so hilarious?! :mrgreen:
Cheers Marsh'n!

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu May 30, 2013 12:45 pm UTC

Do people really think that people of average fitness could have jumped on[g]to that ledge that was as tall as them? I'm not of average fitness so it's possible I underestimate the amazing physical prowess of people of average fitness, but to me it doesn't seem likely someone could jump their entire height so easily.

Lenticular clouds are neat (and also big.)
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 30, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

<insert some vaguely clever pun or reference to Ketchup here>
Mathand the teachers who suck at teaching it:
Reverse Blitzgirl position(no it's not dirty. Get your mind out of the gutter)
On The US education system

Spoiler:
azule wrote:
Dracomax wrote:On math

Honestly, I hated math because of this and rote memorization. Nobody could/would explain the Pythagorean theorem to me(why it works, not how) until I was in Highschool, and by then I had lost interest. They either told me that I'd learn it in a later course(lies and slander, all later courses did was go over the same stuff every year) or that it just was that way.
I think it must be that those teachers didn't know why. I asked a similar question (in high school) with a similar response. I, on the other hand, didn't give up my interest in math. I try to find the reason for things (not just mathwise) throughout my life. :)

Well, when I was in 5th grade, I more or less invented algebra because I hated guess and check problems. Nobody (not even the teachers) seemed to understand what I was doing, and told me to just do the guess and check when I tried to explain it(I hadn't quite got the idea of variables yet, so I kept saying "Some number."

WHen after 4th grade(Age9, I think?) they never actually taught me anything useful, just going over the same things ad nauseum, I got bored. I couldn't find anyone who made it interesting, or explained the why, and books didn't help, as the most available ones were the textbooks which were less interested in teaching why a process worked than impressing you with the fact it did. and we never used more than a third of that.

So I got interested in Science, instead, and didn't really look back until Highschool. Because Science at least, was interested in why, and the answer to the questions is usually/should be "Let's find out" I love Science, even when people seem to take it as gospel(Hint--any time someone tells me the science on something is settled, I tend to start doubting it. No science is ever done, it just continues to evolve as we find new things, and the best part of science is when it is willing to reverse direction because of new information.)

To all those who posted the pythagorean prrofs by simple visualizations. thanks. I hope that someone else who is young and asking those same questions sees those, rather than getting discouraged. They are neat, and I wish that I had been able to find them when I was young.

mscha wrote:I wonder it it's possible to do a lriGztilB... (A reverse BlitzGirl.)
That is, for someone to discover the OTC and OTT for the first time just now, and start reading the OTT from the last message on the last NP up, also catching the oldpix in reverse order as they were posted.
Probably not, you're missing all the background info that posters have, and you know a lot of things that posters are wondering about.

(It'd be a bit like Memento. For the viewer, that is, not for the protagonist.)

Well, it would be a long, confusing, and surreal task. So about the same as regular blitzgirling, only with time moving backwards until you hit the first post, and then you'd have to ketchup on the difference between where you started and where the OTT is at the time of finishing, which by that time will be a significant blitz itself.

ucim wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:There is a lesson here for teachers. Your job is NOT to teach what you know. As proved above, a lot of what you (actually I) know is useless garbage. Your job is to teach them what they need to know.
Well put. However...
then charlie_grumbles goes on, having wrote:...We don't teach how to use slide rules anymore as that would be a waste of the student's time...
That would be a shortsighted view of what a valuable use of student's time is. A slide rule is visceral. It requires more of the student's brain, and also allows actual interaction with the concepts being used (which a calculator does not). This leads to a deeper understanding of the math (multplication, logarithms, and exponents in this case, but the principle is the same). That is most certainly not a waste of the student's time.

The object of education, fundamentally, isn't to "get the right answer" or to "make more money" or to "get a better job". It is to "enable yourself to enjoy life to the fullest", and that comes from a deep understanding of all life has to offer. Students need to know that.

That both explains why US math scores keep getting worse and worse, and why so many people grow up hating school here--because in the US, the point of education is to get high scores on testing and better jobs. Understanding things? Who cares about that. But I'm not bitter. no. Just deeply saddened by the wasted time, and wasted minds.

ANd I'm up to present. The next major ketchup will be a killer one, though...
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu May 30, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Do people really think that people of average fitness could have jumped on[g]to that ledge that was as tall as them? I'm not of average fitness so it's possible I underestimate the amazing physical prowess of people of average fitness, but to me it doesn't seem likely someone could jump their entire height so easily.

Lenticular clouds are neat (and also big.)

Probably true, but someone with average fitness and only the weight of stick bodies and hollow heads~ I'm sure it would be doable.

~At least for Cueball
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 30, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Huh. That is, um. Quite the assortment of images.
I should mention that this is the only place on the net where I use the name BlitzGirl, so all that other Chaos is not connected to me.

Uh huh. Yeah. Of course we believe you. Entirely. And no, I'm not interested in purchasing a bridge. :twisted: No, really.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu May 30, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Huh. That is, um. Quite the assortment of images.
I should mention that this is the only place on the net where I use the name BlitzGirl, so all that other Chaos is not connected to me.

Uh huh. Yeah. Of course we believe you. Entirely. And no, I'm not interested in purchasing a bridge. :twisted: No, really.

but what about ocean sea front property in Arizona?
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 30, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

The view from the other side. Perhaps...

Edit: slightly twerked and converted to jpeg
Last edited by mscha on Thu May 30, 2013 1:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Thu May 30, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

One cannot know. One must only wait. Wait for it.
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 30, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

Chaotic Pile of Ketchup (vol 10)

Spoiler:

"Fries anyone? Ketchup crash snarls traffic in Nevada"

Another volume of ketchup replies, back-slid due to Outsider forces keeping me away since yesterday and now from 16 NewPages back...

Dracomax wrote:And now, to burst into song.
It's not unusual(in the OTT)
Spoiler:
It's not unusual to be be strange in the OTT,
It's not unusual to have fun in the OTT,
But when I see you not posting all your thoughs
It's not unusual to see me cry, Not gonna lie

It's not unusual to stay in post like me,
But when I see you went out and about it's Heresy,
If you should ever wanna be post and be quoted,
It's not unusual, it happens every Newpix,
No matter what you say
You'll find it happens all from Time

The thread will never do, what you want it to
Oh yes, this crazy Thread is fine.

It's not unusual to be silly with OTT,
It's not unusual to be sad with OTT
But if I ever find that you've left the OTT
It's not unusual, that we're sad for the loss of you
Woh woh woh woh
Yeah yeah yeah yeah

Very, very nice Dracomax! :D And wasn't the original version done by Tom Jones? I think my grandmother listened to him on her Victrola... :wink:

Ebonite wrote:
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:These things should be gathered up in our Jabberwiki1.

The other Jabberwocky is also excellent, but I think has a bit of a scan problem in the verse:
Fear the molpyraptor, Megan!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the the ninjashark! And shun
the beesnakes that seek your snatch!

I'd propose:
Fear the molpyraptor, Cue!
[...] and shun
the unnamed berry patch.

I like it! I agree it scans better. . .and I like the reference to the "unnamed berry patch".

Is Jabberwiki in the walky. . .I mean, is Jabberwalky in the wiki yet? I didn't see it there. If not, I suppose I can figure out how to add it.

By the way: love the new parodies of "Jukebox Hero" and "It's Not Unusual"!

ETA: I went ahead and created an entry in the wiki for Jabberwalky. Please take a look - especially if you were one of the contributors, to make sure I gave credit where credit is due!

Excellent work, all! :D But I do kind of miss the "the beesnakes that seek your snatch" line because I like the double entendre, especially with the earlier 'penis-bees' image of the beesnakes. But, truthfully, I also admit it doesn't work that well as a double-entendre because most people think only of the naughty meaning of "snatch" and not the "a short snippet of time" meaning -- double-entendres work best when the naughty aspect is a little more subtle. Plus, I do like the "unnamed berry patch" line and how it ties in with the walk of M & C. So again -- excellent work, all!!!

higgs-boson wrote:
Time Raptor

TIME LORD RANDALL
presents
Spoiler:
IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE ONE TRUE THREAD
A HAL9000 PRODUCTION SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR - ZOË SALDANA "TIME RAPTOR" SAM NEILL
MUSIC BY YAPPOBISCUITS PRODUCED BY MSCHA WRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY TIME LORD RANDALL

NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED DURING THE FILMING OF THIS EPISODE. BUT THE MOLPYSNAKES GOT HUNGRY TRIED TO EAT THE MOLPYSQUIRREL.
R [RESTRICTED: Under 17 requires accompanying parent oder adult guardian]

I'd definitely go see this! :) Even though I know the book thread was better... :wink:

Dracomax wrote:Well, because I just hear the song on the radio, and because I'm in a music making mood;

Goodbye LaPetite(A sancastle on the sea
Spoiler:
To the tune of candle in the wind
Goodbye LaPetite
Though I never knew you at all
You had the grace to hold yourself
While those around you walked
They walked over Sandcastle
And they whispered into your brain
They set you on the trebuchet
And they made you change your name

And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a Sandcastle in the sea
Never knowing who to cling to
When the tides set in
And I would have liked to have known you
But I was just a poster
Your castles washed out long before
Your legend ever did

Loneliness was tough
The toughest role you ever played
OTT created a superstar
And pain was the price you paid
Even when you vanished
Oh the thread still hounded you
All the posters had to say
Was that LaPetite was there at the fade

When the tides set in
But I was just a poster
Your legend ever did

Goodbye LaPetite
Though I never knew you at all
You had the grace to stand aside
While those around you walked
Goodbye LaPetie
From the Dragon on the 38nd NP
Who sees you as something Stange and free
More than just the Blitzgirl

When the tides set in
But I was just a poster
Your legend ever did

Wow, another great rendition, Dracomax! :D Nice work!

mathrec wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:Back from the Outside,...
But as always, I'm glad that:

-- I didn't miss the big End of Time.
-- The OTT is still here and still active, and
-- Peaceful Waiting in the OTT hasn't degenerated into "Oh yeah?!? Well, you're completely wrong, you drooling imbecile! And also, your mother eats carbonated toadstools, you cretinous collection of clueless carbon!" flame-war...

I'm always glad for the same, except that I envision a flame post from an OTT follower more like: "That's ridiculous. Using the google with a little critical thinking might help. Here's a spoilered list of searches. [ spoiler]...[ /spoiler] Do them yourself. If you actually look at the top several hits from each search and don't molpyfruit-pick to feed your confirmation bias, I think you'll find it worth your Time! And the tone of your post is not worthy of our forum. (I apologize to the other followers. I know I should feed the molpysquirrels not the trolls, but I had to get out the trebuchet.)."

You're absolutely right -- that's much closer to what OTT flame would look like... :lol:
Ebonite wrote:Felt we were overdue for another double-dactyl. . .

Heaviness breathiness
    Cueball and Megan did
    Incomprehensibly
    Wander in bliss

Both are presumably
    Heterosexual
    Don't you think we'd see more
    "Action" than this?
:D

Now that's a great double dactyl! :D No hyphenation, no convoluted words, smooth rhyme, AND a bit of naughtiness. Brilliant! :lol:

...and thus ends volume 10 -- I've covered only two newpages in the time that another was added, leaving me still 15 NP's in the past.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 30, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

Color! (Well, a mention of it.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu May 30, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Do people really think that people of average fitness could have jumped on[g]to that ledge that was as tall as them? I'm not of average fitness so it's possible I underestimate the amazing physical prowess of people of average fitness, but to me it doesn't seem likely someone could jump their entire height so easily.

When on a hike I'd climb it. In a silly mood and when not on a hike I'd try to jump it (and probably fail).
When on a hike the complications of a sprained ankle are big. You do not want to be 20 km from the nearest paved road and sprain your ankle.
But then again: I am not a stick figure.

he/him/his

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Thu May 30, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:(Hi, all others, I know you may not care seeing as this is from Long Ago, but I do)

Just quoting this to say that I care :3

Yes! Every moment and post of the thread is important! No matter how old, no matter if people have forgotten about it, or have seen it already quoted by several blitzers!

*Cue modified version of Chicago's Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? (video) - Everybody's blitzing (I do!) I do care (About time) - About time (Oh yes, yes) I do care!*
Cheers Marsh'n!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu May 30, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

mscha wrote:The view from the other side. Perhaps...
Spoiler:

Edit: slightly twerked and converted to jpeg

Very nice, once again! Keep them coming!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 30, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:

The object of education, fundamentally, isn't to "get the right answer" or to "make more money" or to "get a better job". It is to "enable yourself to enjoy life to the fullest", and that comes from a deep understanding of all life has to offer. Students need to know that.

That both explains why US math scores keep getting worse and worse, and why so many people grow up hating school here--because in the US, the point of education is to get high scores on testing and better jobs. Understanding things? Who cares about that. But I'm not bitter. no. Just deeply saddened by the wasted time, and wasted minds.

Unfortunately, it is worse than that. The point of the high test scores is to help the teachers get better jobs. No offense meant to those teachers (and even administrators) that truly are trying to impart knowledge and learning, but the system is designed for the production of high test scores, and it grinds up too many promising students in its effort to get them.

Editted to fix quoting, had to snip some good stuff.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”