1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 30, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Now, let me teach you about the "hidden bit in floating point representation....." <no, don't even ask>
I've got Time. Lay it on me!
Jose

The technical description is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significand. The reason I raised it is that there was a time at which this was important to teach to students, but no longer and few even know about it, since floating point has been both standardized and implemented. But in the far distant past, computers didn't "know" how to do this stuff, so a working programmer had to be able to program it from scratch. Thus, in the few existing computer science programming courses at the time, it had to be taught.

Generally, in CS we teach (oops - taught - retired now) undergraduates what every working geek needs to know. At the Master's level we teach problems thought to be hard at the time. At the doctoral level we teach students to approach unsolved problems. True in all fields, I think. But this was just journeyman stuff back then (yes, mostly "man" then). But now that it is built in, we can teach higher level (abstraction again) stuff.

So, if I teach this to undergrads at all, it would be (a) cursory (b) to give a bit of history - as here, or (c) to illustrate that it is possible to capture 65 bits of information in 64 bits. But as for really teaching it at a deep level, no. Students no longer need it. But they do need other things now, that we didn't then (as they were then beyond our dreams).

Another point. Every student should go beyond his or her teachers. This is how we advance as a species. If it weren't true, there could be no progress. So, young kiddies here, use your teachers as a launch pad. You are just as "smart" as they are, though they may have more experience. Einstein would be amazed at some of the stuff going on in Physics today.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 30, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Now, let me teach you about the "hidden bit in floating point representation....." <no, don't even ask>
I've got Time. Lay it on me!

And that was an awesome hatted hill BlitzGirl found there, nicely birded by ZoomanSP! I can't find the original post of the pencil drawing quoted as from AluisioASG though. Did I miss something? (How is that possible in a thread that moves this slowly?)

Jose

It's hidden in the Ketchup time image, in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3369378&hilit=click#p3369378

AluisioASG wrote:

(click!)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 30, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

This is what they mean of course... right???

Edit: Who has time to do a new stitch? I'm curious to see how high they are now.
Last edited by Kieryn on Thu May 30, 2013 1:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Thu May 30, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:Gaack. Beyond trend is... bad movie? I thought bad movies were a trend? Or rather: like the poor, they are always with us.

This made me snort out loud.

Eternal Density wrote:The hotterdaughterwaterottermolpy was almost crushed by a falling rock, dislodged by Cueball, thus becoming a squatterhotterdaughterwaterottermolpy

Nice!

The only other adjectives I can think of that fit the rhyming scheme are "taut" and "fraught", both of which have resisted all my attempts to insert them with even a vague pretense of coherency. However, as I was pondering, a molpython wandered by...

molpython wrote:Has anyone seen the waterottermolpy's child? They were learning how to work with mustardclay, when suddenly there was a landslide, and now she can't find her anywhere.

Spoiler:
nerdsniped wrote:Not to worry, the kid turned up here, a bit bruised but OK. Tell the waterottermolpy, I got her potter squatter hotter daughterwaterottermolpy.

BlitzGirl wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:@various people talking about BlitzGirl's waterottermolpy
Spoiler:
nerdsniped wrote:
richP wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Waterottermolpy?

Because that's fun to say. :D

Yes! :mrgreen: Today I saw a waterottermolpy.

Waterottermolpy? Thaterottermolpy over there!

If the waterottermolpy reproduces, it might have a daughterwaterottermolpy. Though if the river1 retreats further, and the sun is baking down, it might come under stress -- a hotterdaughterwaterottermolpy.

Reminds me of a tweedle beetle puddle paddle battle.<snip>

When a molpy's in the puddle where the tweedle beetles battle with their paddles in some water on a hotter otter's daughter, this is what they call:
a tweedle beetle battle-addled puddle-paddled fuddled rattled hotterdaughterwaterottermolpy!

Yes, exactly! Fox in Socks was going through my head, too. I play rhyme-extension games like this with my kids all the time. (For anyone who likes wordplay, if you haven't read Fox in Socks to your kids yet, [heresy]put down the OTT[/heresy] and go do it *right now*. You've been missing out. If you don't have kids, get some. I realize I'm advocating Outside activity here, but think of it as training for the next rhyme or pun sequence. It's All Related.)
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 30, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:This is what they mean of course... right???
Spoiler:

Not sure I get it...

In any case, they're apparently not above the treeline, which I tended to think. More like a desert climate, where most of the rain falls high up in the hills/mountains.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu May 30, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

Banana banana banana banana fudge souffle. Just to add another tiny bit of what's going on in my bizarre mind.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 30, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Unfortunately, it is worse than that. The point of the high test scores is to help the teachers get better jobs. No offense meant to those teachers (and even administrators) that truly are trying to impart knowledge and learning, but the system is designed for the production of high test scores, and it grinds up too many promising students in its effort to get them.

Sadly true. Lots of things have become corrupted. One of my passions is how we teach and I've written a lot about that elsewhere. It is often the case that beginning teachers have to learn that teaching isn't about grading. Tests are not the most important thing. In my view, a sometimes necessary evil to be avoided if possible. Tests are a terrible motivator. (But we often need to motivate students, as not all are self-driven.) Someone here (sorry, I don't have time now to chase the ref back) wrote about teaching him/herself algebra, actually re-inventing it. That is the kind of student that a good teacher would love and a poor one would not. Wait For It is not often a good thing to say to a student.

The current situation of requiring accountability is really nothing more than a political attack on public employees by those who would rather get a free lunch. Disclaimer: I've taught almost entirely in private, not public, education.

But teachers are some of the most valuable and under-appreciated people on earth. If we paid elementary school teachers what they are really worth (a lot), we would have better candidates. If we try to deny them a good salary and good benefits, the best candidates will go where the rewards are better. And yes, simple respect is one of those rewards. And then, tenure in the public schools would be as normal and natural as it is essential. But the whole system is pretty corrupted now.

They seem to understand this (respect as a reward) in India, by the way.

I once held a session with a bunch of students (university), most of whom happened to be from India. As my office had few chairs, they were mostly sitting on the floor at my feet and I remarked on how strange and wonderful that felt. They said, "No, in India it is completely natural. The hierarchy there is your god, your teacher (guru), and then your parents". I don't expect that teachers in India are highly paid. But they are highly respected.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu May 30, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:Banana banana banana banana fudge souffle. Just to add another tiny bit of what's going on in my bizarre mind.

Your mind sounds delicious, a little odd maybe, but that's OK.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu May 30, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Not sure I get it...

In any case, they're apparently not above the treeline, which I tended to think. More like a desert climate, where most of the rain falls high up in the hills/mountains.

The objects far away are probably redshifted due to the expansion of their universe so while objects far away in our universe seem blueish they seem greenish to them. This means they are only a little bit before the heat death of their universe and thus the comic will end.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu May 30, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Banana banana banana banana fudge souffle. Just to add another tiny bit of what's going on in my bizarre mind.

My mind is very odd. And I love it.

I also love that other it, although I haven't seen it in totality. Is 'totality' a word? It's nice to say, anyway. Caaaaake.
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu May 30, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:

I wish I were a spirit zombie so I could eat Minim's mind.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu May 30, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:

I also love that other it, although I haven't seen it in totality. Is 'totality' a word? It's nice to say, anyway. Caaaaake.

Odd minds are cool. Even minds are boring. My mind is imaginary, which poses some problems.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu May 30, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

"Waiter! There's Time Flies in my souffle."

"Sssshhhh... not so loud, or everyone will want some!"
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 30, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

Chaotic Pile of Ketchup (vol 11)

Spoiler:

"Fries anyone? Ketchup crash snarls traffic in Nevada"

Volume 11 of replies to assorted past-posts as I work to ketchup from 15 NPs back...

TheMinim wrote:The Thread goes on, ever ever on,
Post by post, hat by hat,
Blitz by blitz, rat by rat,
The thread goes on, ever ever on.

Yep. Same as it ever was, same as it ever was...

Sciscitor wrote:Just a little byproduct of another project I am currently working on. Dumped a list of weighted1 by post count users of the OTT into http://www.wordle.net and this came out (restricted to the most heavy posters). Nothing special but I thought it would be pleasant to look at:
Spoiler:
atu.png

1 well, it needed a bit of mathemagical treating, but I am not telling more, 'cause this could possibly spoil the new project, given the kind of attention directed to minuscule bits of information here.

Wow -- that's another beautiful image, Scisitor! :shock: :D I love how you keep taking raw data and turning it into images that are both informative AND artistically gorgeous! And you're right -- that's the way the OTT works: We hyper-focus on minutia and dissect and analyze and learn more and more about smaller and smaller bits of information, until we eventually know everything about nothing. 8-)

BlueCrab wrote:
Spoiler:
kenmelken wrote:
I agree as well. :) And one other observation I might add that I discovered while compiling the prime panels to begin with: it gave me a great appreciation for each frame we got to keep by looking at it that way, and yet also a deep longing for each frame left behind. To me, it in that way kind of reinforced what this comic really seems to say to me altogether: that each moment in time is worth considering and savoring like we do here on the thread. The apropos nature of Randall's title for our beloved 1190 is that Time (the comic), just like Time on the Outside, must be experienced only moment at a time. There is no ability to skip ahead or to go back via the medium he has initially presented us. Obviously we've made wikis and threads and pages that record the frames and even dissect them, like a scrapbook of our life's past, but once the frame passes through Randall's little window on the original site, it will never be there again. Time marches on, constant and unchanging. Be glad for each moment in Time (comic and otherwise) you are given, and be glad you aren't limited to just the prime numbered pieces.

This is so close to my heart that I have to use Little Bear's nap to comment on it. My life's philosophy has become ‘Cherish each moment, and take joy.’ (With thanks to illustrator Tasha Tudor, who gave me the ‘take joy’ portion.) When my children were small, I got sooo tired of ‘I'm bored’ that I vowed not to ever be bored myself, and to my surprise it hasn't turned out to be that difficult. Oddly enough, ‘take joy’ is a bit more difficult: for example, in the past 3 yips my first 4 grandchildren have been born, which has been Joy of astonishing proportions. In the same time-frame, however, I've been given 3 different once-in-a-lifetime creative opportunities, which I have first delighted in, then pondered, then turned down because they each would have used quite a lot of the time that I have with the children. It's purely easy to take joy in the time with the babies, but sometimes difficult not to be bitter and sad that the opportunities didn't come to me earlier, when I might have had the joy of them followed by the joy of the grand-babies.

Cherishing each moment is the only way I can imagine living now - no matter what's going on, it will be a part of my future self, no less than any other moment, and therefore is precious.

What a wonderful post and a fabulous attitude! :) You made my day -- thank you.

k.bookbinder wrote:We are rooting for you StratPlayer. You shall make it to the present, yet!

Thanks! I hope to see you in the future-present presently! :D

TheMinim wrote:I'm not even sure what I'm doing here now... or what I add to the worthiness of the OTT...

"She's getting existential again"

You're Waiting. Just like all of us. And you "add to the worthiness" by simply being here. Your unique presence is all that is required, and it is a gift that is far, far greater than any other that might be offered -- be it song, image, poetry, or technical coding and analysis. Sharing your time with the OTT is the most wondrous thing you can share with us, for it is a part of who you are and part of the much-too-short span of mortal time that any of us are granted. Thank you for being here; thank you for Waiting with us. :)

taixzo wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
taixzo wrote:So, I kind of jumped into the thread around newpage 680 or so, and am considering BlitzGirling the whole thing. Thoughts? Is such a thing still feasible?

No idea. Try it and if you survive, we'll know! :wink:
It might be a little Mad, but that's the OTT for you.

TimeLurker wrote:
taixzo wrote:So, I kind of jumped into the thread around newpage 680 or so, and am considering BlitzGirling the whole thing. Thoughts? Is such a thing still feasible?

If you shun the Outside and live, eat, breathe the OTT as all true followers due then it is not only feasible, but your true calling.
That being said, noone will know if you skim/skip and join us in the present as well :wink: .

slinches wrote:

Feasible? Yesfootnote Sane? Not a chance.

I've been reading everything since the beginning and it's been difficult enough to just keep up. Although, if you're brave enough to attempt it, I'm sure you'll find copious amounts of moral support from everyone here.

footnoteAssuming you are willing to completely shun the outside and devote all of your time to the OTT.

Well, I suppose that every newpix I delay is another I will have to blitz past later, so I suppose I'm off. Bye everyone!

Good luck and Randall-speed on your epic Blitz!!! :D :D

...and the two-steps-forward-one-step-back progress of my ketchup continues: 2 more NP's ketchupped and 1 NP added = 14 NPs to go...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu May 30, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Color! (Well, a mention of it.)

Maybe. Perhaps "Greener" is the name of a local town or country.

Or maybe they've just got synesthesia and "greener" really means "cooler."
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 30, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
TheMinim wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:

Odd minds are cool. Even minds are boring. My mind is imaginary, which poses some problems.

My mind is complex, and can only be mapped fractally. Not sure if that is good or bad news for me once the zombie apoclypse comes, as infinite buffet is infinite.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu May 30, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

I declareth that I am a leader in the river of randomicity and so will allow edible clones of my brain to be available to all those who want to go and ramble on and on and on until the end of Time or until we learn how to alter the recipe for different amounts of time. Measured in NewpixTimeframeNinjaseconds, of course. Or just heretical lasinatophapy, whatever that random word may be.

Tin you keep up? You may try to. Unless there's a cliff involved. Made of pastaricebeanpotatoes.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu May 30, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:

Dr. Lecter? Is that you? :P
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu May 30, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
SBN wrote:Color! (Well, a mention of it.)

Maybe. Perhaps "Greener" is the name of a local town or country.

Or maybe they've just got synesthesia and "greener" really means "cooler."

Are you suggesting a drop in temperature, or has the landscape put on aviator sunglasses?
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu May 30, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

doctorray wrote:Hello all, my first reply to this thread, but I've been lurking since the beginning. I don't read every newpage though (sorry!). I really love all the stuff you guys have done. I'm wondering if OTC will end with a meetup or if it will go on forever... XKCD meetups are fun, I went to the one in San Francisco that was decoded from the XKCD Vol 0 book a couple years ago. Someone brought xkcd boom de yada cupcakes!

Anyway, carry on! have fun!

edit: because this was my FP ever it got delayed for mod approval which was, oh, about 3 newpages. So will anyone see it ever?? Oh well. :)

Greetings, then, doctorray, latest of our delurkers.
Ketchup brings attention, don't worry.
And if everything else fails, our blitzers would take care of the late bloomers.

A meetup would be funny for sure, however: No promises. From where I live and work to Madagascar it'll be something about 8000-9000 km beeline.
If it's Madagascar. Some dozens of Newpages ago, I was convinced they were somewhere between the Dead Sea and the Sea of Galilee. ;-)
And even the Dead Sea would have been worth a full grown journey.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 30, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:But teachers are some of the most valuable and under-appreciated people on earth. If we paid elementary school teachers what they are really worth (a lot), we would have better candidates. If we try to deny them a good salary and good benefits, the best candidates will go where the rewards are better. And yes, simple respect is one of those rewards. And then, tenure in the public schools would be as normal and natural as it is essential. But the whole system is pretty corrupted now.

Good teachers are priceless, but unfortunately bad teachers are way too common. And even the good ones are often hamstrung by the system, and their own pre-conceptions. Conversation with my, then middle-school daughter's teachers:
English teacher: She is probably the best writer I've ever had.
Math teacher: That explains why she is so bad at math.
Enough teachers told her that, and believed that, that she became that. But she had the potential to be pretty good at it. Probably not to the creating it level, but at least to the making it work level.
My other daughter mastered multiplication in second grade. (Because her sister was learning it that year, and they liked to play school.)
At the end of the year, the teacher told me that she believed second graders couldn't understand multiplication. Probably true, on average, but she had in front of her a child who could, and did, and still refused to believe it possible. Sadly, she had been teaching at that point for 28 years. I hope that the student teacher she had that year went into her career more open to the possibility that kids can be better than the norm, not just worse.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

greenermountains.png
Go Minim go!

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 30, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

LONGNECK...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu May 30, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:...and the two-steps-forward-one-step-back progress of my ketchup continues: 2 more NP's ketchupped and 1 NP added = 14 NPs to go...

14 pages of posts to go, 14 pages of posts.
Load a page, read it out, 13 pages of posts to go

The full version

Code: Select all

for (i=14;i=0;i--)
{
     printf ("%d pages of posts to go, %d pages of posts. \n Load a page, read it out, %d pages of posts to go. \n \n", i, i, i-1)
}

Adjust the "14" to your position of course.

Disclaimer: I failed my C classes. And it wasn't much. And it was years ago. I probably made an oopsie somewhere, even though it's short and semipseudo, but I have no compiler available at the moment so I can not test whether it'll work or kill everyone in a 20 km radius.

he/him/his

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 30, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
greenermountains.png

Awesome! Thanks :)
Image- Kieryn

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Thu May 30, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:...and the two-steps-forward-one-step-back progress of my ketchup continues: 2 more NP's ketchupped and 1 NP added = 14 NPs to go...

The full version

for (i=14;i > 0;i--)
{
     printf ("%d page(s) of posts to go, %d page(s) of posts. \n Load a page, read it out, %d page(s) of posts to go. \n \n", i, i, i-1)
}

Disclaimer: I failed my C classes. And it wasn't much. And it was years ago. I probably made an oopsie somewhere, even though it's short and semipseudo, but I have no compiler available at the moment so I can not test whether it'll work or kill everyone in a 20 km radius.

FTFY. Also made it kinda-sorta-grammatically correct. I believe you killed Kenny.
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 30, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Not sure I get it...

Sorry... I was too subtle I guess. I embellished the prospective frame's surface with a somewhat mossy hue.
Image- Kieryn

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu May 30, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

The full version

for (i=14;i > 0;i--)
{
     printf ("%d page(s) of posts to go, %d page(s) of posts. \n Load a page, read it out, %d page(s) of posts to go. \n \n", i, i, i-1)
}

FTFY. Also made it kinda-sorta-grammatically correct. I believe you killed Kenny.

My condolances to Kenny's mother, father, classmates and the other kids of the elementary school of South Park. I am truely sorry, I have not been so sorry my entire life. Had I known the results would be so destructive I would not have written that piece of evil code.
Kids, may you learn from this. Always check your basic operators.

he/him/his

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu May 30, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:

<snip>

Well, in reality it's more like:
Load a page, read it out, 15 pages of posts to go
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:37 pm UTC

Blitz progress: 616 of 745 (under 130 for the first time in over 240 newpix!)
It's a tree!, np 1337

It appears to have gotten a bit quiet in here. When I went to coma last night, there were 743 Pages. When I decoma'd this morning 7 newpix later, there were 744 Pages. And now, 3 newpix after that, there are 745 Pages.

Recent topics:
Phoenix rebirth
Toy Story quotes

I've decided to make some improvements to the format of these signposts, to give people a better idea of the contents of each Spoiler. In addition to the short subject, I've added a list of people quoted in each one.

RE: Sleep patterns (HAL9000, slinches):
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:
slinches wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:WitchONG hour here. (that would be midnight)

Still only 10:23 here in UTC -7 land. It took me a minute to figure out that you're probably in CDT. I've never been able to figure out why most of the country deludes itself into thinking changing the clocks by an hour twice a year is a good idea. :D

It eludes me as well, but I conform because I must. Eventually, if my work allows it, I may just ignore DST, or try an even more radical system of Outside time.
I did this for a year in college... I worked midnight to 8am on the weekends (Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights). It took a while to get used to, and then took a long time to forget.

RE: Hat Currency (dreiarmumig):
Spoiler:
dreiarmumig wrote:I just came across this YouTube video called 'Are Bitcoins and Unusual Hats the Future of Currency?'. I... I don't even.
Is it bad that I knew from the title that it was talking about TF2, even though I've never played the game and have no TF2 hats?

Also, this is from a long time ago, but relevant again to me now (CatHectic):
Spoiler:
CatHectic wrote:Trying to keep up with the end of this thread, while re-traversing the early eras, is truly sanity-boggling. Though the oddities of those early days are doubly/differently entertaining now that I know at least some of the answers to which predictions were wildly mistaken and which were wildly prescient!

I am continuing to add all the musical references I can find in the thread to the Time Travel Mix on the wiki and on Spotify -- so far, 44 songs suggested directly in the thread (I've re-reached newpage 100 now), and another 24 inspired by recent pages and my own personal encounters with Timely tunes while working on this project.

Onward to more waiting!
For the last couple of wips, I've been listening to the Time Travel Mix playlist on Spotify, and I've now listened through the whole thing. There is quite a variety of things up there. And a big thanks to CatHectic for putting it all together!

I have noticed 2 songs so far that have been mentioned in the OTT that aren't in the playlist:
Last Legal Drug (Le Petite Mort) by Korn: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=22400#p3350169 (Spotify has a live version attributed to only Jonathan Davis)
Owner of a Lonely Heart by Yes (parodied to Waiter in the Lonely Part by StratPlayer): viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=24520#p3355870

RE: Toy Story, and saving toys for future kids (tangent by Opiboble, but also quoting Dracomax, Febrion, HAL9000, and richP):
Spoiler:
Opiboble wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Febrion wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
richP wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
...Has no one seen Toy Story???

Judging by the number of people confused by the release (and naming) of Debian Wheezy, there are plenty out there who have not seen it.

I've never gotten around to seeing all three, only the first two. Apparently it's normal for someone of my age (mid-teens) to fan{gender-specifying noun} over them, but I haven't felt that way about them. They're good movies, but not as good as they hyped to be (in my opinion, at least).

You're really massing out if you haven't seen the third one - took my kids to see it in the theater, it was very moving...

It was pretty much the perfect ending to the toy story saga.

Very great ending to the trilogy, so very sad, but so very happy. Makes me sad that all my old toys are boxed up in my closet, cant wait to have kids so they can come out and play again.

edit: I must have made everyone cry or something since no one is posting anymore...
Yes! I do this too. I have my old lego(s), hot wheels cars, k'nex, tinkertoys, etc all boxed up in my garage. Now I just gotta have a kid (which can wait a bit, admittedly)
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu May 30, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

end of a lONG day
One world, one soul

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu May 30, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

Up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up...

and then down again, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 30, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:Up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up...

So, you think they'll sled down? or possibly raft? With water that might be white?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Thu May 30, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:The objects far away are probably redshifted due to the expansion of their universe so while objects far away in our universe seem blueish they seem greenish to them. This means they are only a little bit before the heat death of their universe and thus the comic will end.

Oooh, fun! Seems like a long Time since someone's brought up the End of the OTC.
Now there's something I'd like to see from our Court Statisticians (like Court Jesters, but funnier): frequency of End-of-Time predictions/mentions. (Or has that been done already, and I've forgotten? :oops: )
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu May 30, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up...

So, you think they'll sled down? or possibly raft? With water that might be white?

They could ski if there's snow, that would lead to some amusing acrobatics. I was really thinking they'd roll and roll and roll and roll on. And then maybe eat some cake. Or some banana fudge souffle. That is MY phrase, banana fudge souffle. I came up with it back in Year 8 (12-13).

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu May 30, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:So, you think they'll sled down? or possibly raft? With water that might be white?

Once again prefigured in C&D...
Spoiler:
jump.png
jump.png (4.02 KiB) Viewed 14857 times
One world, one soul

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Do people really think that people of average fitness could have jumped on[g]to that ledge that was as tall as them? I'm not of average fitness so it's possible I underestimate the amazing physical prowess of people of average fitness, but to me it doesn't seem likely someone could jump their entire height so easily.

When on a hike I'd climb it. In a silly mood and when not on a hike I'd try to jump it (and probably fail).
When on a hike the complications of a sprained ankle are big. You do not want to be 20 km from the nearest paved road and sprain your ankle.
But then again: I am not a stick figure.

I agree. Imagine making a standing jump up onto a bar (not a gymnastic apparatus; I mean a surface upon which drinks are placed) starting from behind the stools. With or without a run-up. Very difficult and very high chance of injury if you fail. Most hikers and mountaineers would be very reluctant even to jump down that high a ledge, again because of the chance of injury, let alone to try to jump up it.

Leaping up and landing on your feet, not likely.
Leaping up and landing on your side or back, the way a track and field high jumper jumps, wouldn't be very hard but usually you wouldn't want to land that way, risking tearing your clothing or abrading your skin on roots or sharp rocks or whatever's up there.
"Vaulting" up by planting your hands on the ledge and swinging your legs up while straightening your arms, pretty easy. (Again, with or without a run-up.) Depending on the rock or soil, you'd probably want to be wearing gloves. And it uses a lot of unnecessary energy, which makes a huge difference over the course of a long hike.

Now, as to stick figures: evidence has been piling up that graphic literalist interpretations of Megan and Cueball and their world are mistaken. They are rendered as stick figures, the ground and sea are rendered as black, the sky is rendered as uniform white, plants and objects are rendered as black silhouettes; but inside their world they are not really stick figures, the ground and water isn't really black, the sky isn't really white and sun-less, and the plants and objects are not really flat and black, any more than the characters on a TV detective show are "really" flat planes of sparkling pixels or the characters in a novel are "really" lines of alphabetic symbols inside their respective milieux.

It was fun to speculate otherwise, when there was more room for uncertainty about the nature of their world; for instance, that they were in a nearly two dimensional world like an ant farm. And there's still plenty to speculate about, including a little room for doubt about night and day and the scale of the landscape. But at this point it's pretty likely, based on past trends, that the cycle of night and day and the scale of the landscape are "normal," that is earth-like, rather than "really" being perpetual daytime and Azeroth-scale landforms that go from seaside to dunes to baobab forest to hills in a few hundred cues as a literal interpretation of the graphics would suggest. Trees, even when considerably taller than the baobabs we saw, don't really loom over nearby hills, but they might look that way when rendered in silhouette in a series of frames intended to convey narrative rather than geographic measurements.

It's becoming clearer that the important things to speculate about are the circumstances of Megan and Cueball's lives, and the questions that are important to them: why the sea is rising; who lives or lived near the pretty neat river and where they are now; what they're going to discover in the green highlands ahead.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Thu May 30, 2013 3:33 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Chaotic Pile of Ketchup (vol 11)

Spoiler:

Volume 11 of replies to assorted past-posts as I work to ketchup from 15 NPs back...

TheMinim wrote:The Thread goes on, ever ever on,
Post by post, hat by hat,
Blitz by blitz, rat by rat,
The thread goes on, ever ever on.

Yep. Same as it ever was, same as it ever was...

GodsGLRdamnit, StratPlayer, when I saw your link I thought at first you were simply linking to a YouTube video or similar. I'd forgotten you'd previously produced a brilliant filk of that song (back on NP 483 -- amazing, this thread had fewer than 20,000 posts back then). And I'd already come up with two verses, just during my morning commute. Sigh... Well, there are only a million or two other songs to parody. I'd best get to it...

StratPlayer wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Just a little byproduct of another project I am currently working on. Dumped a list of weighted1 by post count users of the OTT into http://www.wordle.net and this came out (restricted to the most heavy posters). Nothing special but I thought it would be pleasant to look at:
Spoiler:
atu.png

1 well, it needed a bit of mathemagical treating, but I am not telling more, 'cause this could possibly spoil the new project, given the kind of attention directed to minuscule bits of information here.

Wow -- that's another beautiful image, Scisitor! :shock: :D I love how you keep taking raw data and turning it into images that are both informative AND artistically gorgeous! And you're right -- that's the way the OTT works: We hyper-focus on minutia and dissect and analyze and learn more and more about smaller and smaller bits of information, until we eventually know everything about nothing. 8-)

Kind of an online, free-form, anarchic graduate program, you mean?

Definitely works for me.

Edit: Hmmm? Oh. Dear Mum, Pope'd again. Lessee... what to decree....

Y'know, with great power comes great dithering. Or so I find. I'd be a disaster in public office.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 30, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Not sure I get it...

Sorry... I was too subtle I guess. I embellished the prospective frame's surface with a somewhat mossy hue.

Yeah, that was a bit too subtle. Now I see it, though: looks like an expired mustard spill.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 30, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

Chaotic Pile of Ketchup (vol 12)

Spoiler:

...12th in a series of ketchupping replies to past-posts as I work towards the present...

BlitzGirl wrote:
Dracomax wrote:<snip> We even have a special bus...
Spoiler:

Reading the One True Thread Now!
To the tune of Ride on the Magic School Bus
Spoiler:
Seat belts, everyone!
Please let this be a normal ketchup!
With the Blitz?
No way!
Awww...

Cruisin' through the fora
You're relaxed and feelin' good (yeah)
Next thing that you know you're seein'
(Waa-ha-ha-hoo)
Raptorsharks in the neighborhood?!

Blitzin' through the pastposts
Singin' with the bards (Yee-haw)
Yes we know it's all related
Here on Earth, maybe on Mars!

On the One True Thread now
Navigate some footnotes 1,2
Read through the One True Thread now
Catch a molpy, too (take that!)
On our One True Thread now
Scrolling a panorama
Such a fine thing to do!
(Whoooaaa...)

So keep a watch for LaPetite
Wait for it and don't ask why (come on)
Sea is big, the tree is neat
The River's small and raptors fly

Step inside - it's a wilder ride!
Come on - read through the One True Thread now!

(ni ni ni ni)

Holy childhood memories, GLR!

Wow -- that's awesome, BlitzGirl!!! :D

But you know, I saw "the Magic Bus" and my thoughts went to this:

The Waiting Bus
(To the tune of "Magic Bus" by The Who)
Spoiler:
Every day, I go see what's new
(Too much, the Waiting bus!)
with the Oh-Tee-Tee, and with Meg and Cue.
I'm so happy, I just sit and smile;
I get to Wait for a good long while.

Thank you Randall for bringing us here!
That it might end is my only fear.
I don't want to cause no fuss,
but can I ride the Waiting bus?
Yesssssssss!!!!!

I don't care how long I stay
I wanna ride the bus for my Wait each day
Waiting bus, Waiting bus, Waiting bus,
Waiting bus, Waiting bus, Waiting bus!
Give me just one word (Waiting bus)
And cue the punsters (Waiting bus)
They'll post like thunder (Waiting bus)
I'll smile with wonder (Waiting bus)

Waiting bus, Waiting bus, Waiting bus, Waiting bus
I want it, I want it, I want it... (you can't leave it!)

Forty and six posts every day,
Just to show that I'm crazy.
Forty and six posts each day,
'Cause I want to have my crazy-ass say!

Waiting bus, Waiting bus, Waiting bus, Waiting bus!
I want the Waiting bus! I want the Waiting bus! I want the Waiting bus!

patzer wrote:
mscha wrote:[hint=subtle]Someone should make an OTC version of that guide.[/hint]

Spoiler:

Perfect! I never cease to be amazed at the awesome mix of talent and "Hold-on-let-me-do-that-for-you!"-ism here in the OTT!!! :D

lmjb1964 wrote:
Spoiler:
cellocgw wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:StratPlayer, I think I want to marry you. (Hopefully you're not in high school like HAL9000, since that would be creepy).

Awww, thanks! You're too sweet! And don't worry -- I haven't been in high school since the month McDonald's first introduced The Happy Meal. :wink: However, my wife might still consider sharing her husband with a new sister wife a little creepy...

Funny you should mention that. When "Big Love" was cruising thru its early seasons, my (non-sister) wife and a good friend of hers decided it would be cool to have a sister wife to share the crapola-ish stuff around the house. Both of us husbands cringed at the thought of keeping two (or more) wives calm and happy :oops: .

PS when I finished high school we used circular slide rules and waited a year or two for Bowmar Brains to hit the market.

StratPlayer, I'm glad it wasn't creepy. You graduated from high school just a few years before me, as it turns out. And my physics class was the first one to use calculators. They were certainly in common usage by then, of course, but our teacher thought the students should learn how to use slide rules. Kind of sorry I missed it, actually. I would have liked to learn how to use a slide rule.

Awesome -- we're close in age! :D But, umm, technically I never said I "graduated" high school -- I said I haven't been in high school since June of 1979. Late in my senior year, I discovered I was going to fail most of my classes because of "excessive unexcused absences" (stupid partying teenager) even though I had A's in all of the classes. That would have caused me to be short enough credits to not be able to graduate. I already had been awarded a full-ride scholarship to college and so I actually dropped out, took my GED, and 'finished high school' a couple of weeks before the rest of my class, and then went on to college in the fall. But, officially, I am not a high-school graduate. :wink:

lmjb1964 wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:But as always, I'm glad that:

-- I didn't miss the big End of Time.
-- The OTT is still here and still active, and
-- Peaceful Waiting in the OTT hasn't degenerated into "Oh yeah?!? Well, you're completely wrong, you drooling imbecile! And also, your mother eats carbonated toadstools, you cretinous collection of clueless carbon!" flame-war.

Hey, my mother does NOT eat carbonated toadstools! They are all completely uncarbonated! Why, you, aorta...112

112I use this joke all the time. No idea if other people get it, or thinks it's funny, but that doesn't stop me.
(StratPlayer, sorry to have misquoted you with the Aqualung misquote. I'll go back and fix it.)

"Why, you, aorta..." To me, it sounds like the Three Stooges. "Why you...! I oughta...!" But funnier. And with more heart. :D :wink: And no worries about the Jethro Tull quote -- it wasn't that big of a deal. I just wanted to give proper credit for the joke.

lmjb1964 wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:<snip>
ttscp wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I feel badly that I haven't really contributed anything very concrete to the OTT.

I don't know how to measure contribution. Number of posts? New ideas? Or maybe, friendliness to others?
I for one, like it when I see your avatar. I know I'm going to read something interesting.

I absolutely agree with ttscp! lmjb1964, please don't ever think that you haven't "contributed anything"! I always enjoy your posts, and have no problem with how you put together your ketchup posts! There's always going to be a variety of opinions when a group of people come together like we have in the OTT, and I think it's clear that there's no particular "best way" to ketchup, or not, or long-post, or not. You can't please everyone, and trying to just leads to blandness and neurosis. Be yourself and I for one, will continue to enjoy your contributions!

...and Geez -- I'm still 17 NewPages behind!!! :shock: It may take me more than just [heresey]today[/heresey] to get caught up...

Awww! Mwah! That is really sweet. And I just called you an aorta. Now I feel bad. :oops: *hugs*

Don't feel bad -- I've been called worse. :D

...and my NpK (New-Pages gained per Ketchup post) is still 1 -- I'm 13 NPs behind now...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”