1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Thu May 30, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:It's becoming clearer that the important things to speculate about are the circumstances of Megan and Cueball's lives, and the questions that are important to them: why the sea is rising; who lives or lived near the pretty neat river and where they are now; what they're going to discover in the green highlands ahead.

And, are they pregnant?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 30, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Rule110 wrote:It's becoming clearer that the important things to speculate about are the circumstances of Megan and Cueball's lives, and the questions that are important to them: why the sea is rising; who lives or lived near the pretty neat river and where they are now; what they're going to discover in the green highlands ahead.

And, are they pregnant?

and which one of them has cancer? Please say it isn't both of them!
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 30, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

Fake ONG...

Edit: yes, it's a fake.
Last edited by mscha on Thu May 30, 2013 4:10 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu May 30, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

Colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

We lurve colour!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 30, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

Correct ONG

Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu May 30, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

mscha wrote:ONG...
Spoiler:

And when the Newpix is due. You toy with our emotions. Not cool mscha, not cool.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 30, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
Spoiler:

And when the Newpix is due. You toy with our emotions. Not cool mscha, not cool.

My insincerest apologies. ;)
I have now labeled it as ‘fake’.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 30, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

Psssh. You just steal my idea and do it better... :roll:
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu May 30, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:
Spoiler:

I suppose that will be good enough. Assuming you are OK with me only pretending to forgive you.
Seriously though, that was pretty cool.

Edit: Ohhh, half-way to my centi-post. I can't wait. :wink:
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 30, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:< long snip>
It's becoming clearer that the important things to speculate about are the circumstances of Megan and Cueball's lives, and the questions that are important to them: why the sea is rising; who lives or lived near the pretty neat river and where they are now; what they're going to discover in the green highlands ahead.

Hmmm. Sounding a bit popish here. Are you sure you can see into the mind of GLR? Are you using stones or bones for prophesy? Or just a big dose of hubris?

NOTE: meant in jest not as flame bait. But, really, I think we need to just wait for it. GLR, I think, messes with us a bit, so that such as the above can easily be wrong, even if they were originally correct. Just wait for it. I suspect we will all continue to be surprised.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu May 30, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
mscha wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:
Spoiler:

I suppose that will be good enough. Assuming you are OK with me only pretending to forgive you.
Seriously though, that was pretty cool.

Edit: Ohhh, half-way to my centi-post. I can't wait. :wink:

I thought it was the real thing and now I am disappoint.

Just as disappointed as you are when you realize I didn't put a morpheme there to make it all standard English-y. Who cares? The cake does.

I guess I can forgive. Possibly.
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
SBN wrote:

And, are they pregnant?

and which one of them has cancer? Please say it isn't both of them!

And of course, what about Naomi?

(Yeah, I already mentioned that a few hundred newpages back. Time repeats itself.)

charlie_grumbles wrote:
It's becoming clearer that the important things to speculate about are the circumstances of Megan and Cueball's lives, and the questions that are important to them: why the sea is rising; who lives or lived near the pretty neat river and where they are now; what they're going to discover in the green highlands ahead.

Hmmm. Sounding a bit popish here. Are you sure you can see into the mind of GLR? Are you using stones or bones for prophesy? Or just a big dose of hubris?

NOTE: meant in jest not as flame bait. But, really, I think we need to just wait for it. GLR, I think, messes with us a bit, so that such as the above can easily be wrong, even if they were originally correct. Just wait for it. I suspect we will all continue to be surprised.

I did wake up feeling a bit popish this morning. Actually, poopish, but that's almost the same, right?
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu May 30, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Do people really think that people of average fitness could have jumped on[g]to that ledge that was as tall as them? I'm not of average fitness so it's possible I underestimate the amazing physical prowess of people of average fitness, but to me it doesn't seem likely someone could jump their entire height so easily.

When on a hike I'd climb it. In a silly mood and when not on a hike I'd try to jump it (and probably fail).
When on a hike the complications of a sprained ankle are big. You do not want to be 20 km from the nearest paved road and sprain your ankle.
But then again: I am not a stick figure.

I agree. Imagine making a standing jump up onto a bar (not a gymnastic apparatus; I mean a surface upon which drinks are placed) starting from behind the stools. With or without a run-up. Very difficult and very high chance of injury if you fail.
This may not be related:arrow:, but the image of someone (I mistyped that as 'someong' at first) jumping over a bar reminded me of how impressed I was by Paul Sabourin getting back onto a particularly high stage. I've seen him jump off and onto a lot of stages in my time, but when I saw this one (up to my neck, and far from being up to his neck, so not as high as the thing in the comic, but still) I just assumed they weren't going to do that song. It's amazing what people of average fitness (as far as I know, he doesn't have a secret second career as an athlete, though he has the lungs for it) can do. I wonder if they test the stage-leaping in the sound check.

:arrow:It's ALL related. Well hey, yappobiscuits's band (is it a band or is it just yappo and some magic? Yappo and the Biscuits!) has even covered a song by the band Paul used to be in; I don't even have to go James Burke on this.:idea:
:idea:On the subject of things being related, they were opening, as they customarily do, for the guy who wrote the songs for Portal and Portal 2, at least one of which has been filked in this thread (has anyone done an OTT Still Alive yet?) Some people said they hadn't played the games. Well, I don't often play computer games, but I played both of those ones because I was already a huge fan of the guy who wrote the songs, and I did not regret it. They're fun games and they have cake. So I recommend them.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Thu May 30, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:

I don't think the OTC is intentionally trying to trick us. Well, that's not true, either. I think quite a few things in the OTC are intentionally trying to trick us when they are introduced. But I believe it's playing fair; the rules and goals of the story aren't changing as we go, so over time, it's possible to gain insight.1

The commandment is merely to wait for it. But there's no implication that we have to wait idly. While we wait, we also watch. And learn.

1And, of course, to be wrong about those insights,2 too. That, I think, is part of this journey...
2Except the Cassinite Heresy, which is self-evidently correct!

doctorray

Postby doctorray » Thu May 30, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

LeahLemur wrote:
Spoiler:
doctorray wrote:Hello all, my first reply to this thread, but I've been lurking since the beginning. I don't read every newpage though (sorry!). I really love all the stuff you guys have done. I'm wondering if OTC will end with a meetup or if it will go on forever... XKCD meetups are fun, I went to the one in San Francisco that was decoded from the XKCD Vol 0 book a couple years ago. Someone brought xkcd boom de yada cupcakes!

Anyway, carry on! have fun!

edit: because this was my FP ever it got delayed for mod approval which was, oh, about 3 newpages. So will anyone see it ever?? Oh well. :)

Since my firstpost took a while too, here's a bump for you, doctorray :)

Yay! Thanks. (blind from 744)

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu May 30, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

doctorray wrote:
LeahLemur wrote:
Spoiler:
doctorray wrote:Hello all, my first reply to this thread, but I've been lurking since the beginning. I don't read every newpage though (sorry!). I really love all the stuff you guys have done. I'm wondering if OTC will end with a meetup or if it will go on forever... XKCD meetups are fun, I went to the one in San Francisco that was decoded from the XKCD Vol 0 book a couple years ago. Someone brought xkcd boom de yada cupcakes!

Anyway, carry on! have fun!

edit: because this was my FP ever it got delayed for mod approval which was, oh, about 3 newpages. So will anyone see it ever?? Oh well. :)

Since my firstpost took a while too, here's a bump for you, doctorray :)

Yay! Thanks. (blind from 744)

Not too far back then! Howdy!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 30, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Good teachers are priceless, but unfortunately bad teachers are way too common. And even the good ones are often hamstrung by the system, and their own pre-conceptions. Conversation with my, then middle-school daughter's teachers:
English teacher: She is probably the best writer I've ever had.
Math teacher: That explains why she is so bad at math.
Enough teachers told her that, and believed that, that she became that. But she had the potential to be pretty good at it. Probably not to the creating it level, but at least to the making it work level.
My other daughter mastered multiplication in second grade. (Because her sister was learning it that year, and they liked to play school.)
At the end of the year, the teacher told me that she believed second graders couldn't understand multiplication. Probably true, on average, but she had in front of her a child who could, and did, and still refused to believe it possible. Sadly, she had been teaching at that point for 28 years. I hope that the student teacher she had that year went into her career more open to the possibility that kids can be better than the norm, not just worse.

I have a coupla stories. My sister, 4 years younger, learned a lot from me as I was learning, which gave her an edge in school. She must have idolized me, nasty mustard that I was. She was always at the top of her class (while I was always near the bottom). But later, it caught up with her and she had trouble in college since she hadn't previously learned to work hard. Everything was too easy for her. Then BANG. The wall.

My son had a terrible teacher in one grade and never learned his addition tables (my problem was multiplication). His self image was that he was bad at math and it was hard to shake that notion. Smart kid in general. In college he had to take Calculus (there it is again) and he did very well. Big surprise. He had to re-evaluate his self image. But he still does thing like 5 + 7 on his fingers.

Why is it hard to get good teachers? In NYC the lot is mixed, but there is a reason. Pay is pretty high compared to the rest of the country, but not to the surrounding area. So the very best candidates can teach in New Rochelle and make a LOT more money or teach in NYC, perhaps with lots of urban problems (poor students - economically and scholastically, etc). The standard are also pretty high. But in September, pretty much every year, there are a LOT of unfilled teacher positions in the city (but not the richer suburbs). So they pass a law canceling (temporarily) all of the standards and just hire whoever is available. This can amount to hundreds of people. We have a lot of problems.

I'll be popish for a second: If you want a better country, build a better educational system. And NO, I don't mean charter schools, which just suck money out of the public system so that some private companies can make a profit at the expense of poor kids. But it is now awfully hard to get from where we are to something better. Alas.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 30, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

ONGR, the GLR is reading the OTT...

(Edit: Too lazy to find the two times this was posted.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 30, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

Qalyar wrote:I don't think the OTC is intentionally trying to trick us. Well, that's not true, either. I think quite a few things in the OTC are intentionally trying to trick us when they are introduced. But I believe it's playing fair; the rules and goals of the story aren't changing as we go, so over time, it's possible to gain insight.1

The commandment is merely to wait for it. But there's no implication that we have to wait idly. While we wait, we also watch. And learn.

1And, of course, to be wrong about those insights,2 too. That, I think, is part of this journey...
2Except the Cassinite Heresy, which is self-evidently correct!

You could well be right. I can't claim to have the ear of the great one himself. But we have fun here. Why shouldn't he, as well? I have no idea what his "goals" are, but suspect they include having a bit-o-fun.

Or maybe he entered a social-science doctoral program and this is all his research. Some one else mentioned earlier that this would be a great thread to mine for community interactions. Just sayin'. No special insight.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 30, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

So since I have been gone, and I am a bad blitzer (I speed blitz) did I miss anything interesting?
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 30, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:So since I have been gone, and I am a bad blitzer (I speed blitz) did I miss anything interesting?

Yes.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 30, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Opiboble wrote:So since I have been gone, and I am a bad blitzer (I speed blitz) did I miss anything interesting?

Yes.

Darn, I hate when that happens :(

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 30, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:
Spoiler:

Tsk, tsk. Not only impersonating the OTC, but feeling no shame about it? That's heresy if ever I heard it.

Given the nature of the offense, I sentence you to drink green beer and be pelted with green S&Ms. you will have to get the beer yourself though, as I don't have any in stock since the time outsiders call "St Patrick's Day"
“have i gone mad?

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu May 30, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

Given the recent information that has come to light, (the colors and shadows and Cuegan's depth perception) I think the lens we are viewing the OTC through is either a strange camera or inhuman eyes. What if the viewers (us) are some kind of alien predator who can only see in silhouettes, and we are hunting Cuegan!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 30, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

ergman wrote:Given the recent information that has come to light, (the colors and shadows and Cuegan's depth perception) I think the lens we are viewing the OTC through is either a strange camera or inhuman eyes. What if the viewers (us) are some kind of alien predator who can only see in silhouettes, and we are hunting Cuegan!

My mind? blown. Here's one for you:
What if we are causing T1I2M3E4?
also,
mscha wrote:ONGR, the GLR is reading the OTT...
Spoiler:

Aren't mountains always farther away than they look, on account of being fricking massive?

1Temporal
2Intrusion
3monochrome
4experience
“have i gone mad?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 30, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

ergman wrote:Given the recent information that has come to light, (the colors and shadows and Cuegan's depth perception) I think the lens we are viewing the OTC through is either a strange camera or inhuman eyes. What if the viewers (us) are some kind of alien predator who can only see in silhouettes, and we are hunting Cuegan!

I theorized a while back that the way the Cuegenverse looks the way it does to us is due the fact that we are looking at them through a wormhole. Do to some property of the wormhole we have a limited bandwidth, hence the low-resolution/2D/B&W newpix. Plus the time it takes to receive a newpix.

This would also explain why we missed DAYS of them walking on the beach, and that was due to Lord Randall re-calibrating the WM generator to follow them and some how it skipped a few days into there future.

But then again, if this was true it ruins some of the mystery... SO yeah scratch that.

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time" and this Tribe

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 30, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

I've discovered that we on this thread are a Tribe. Perhaps it needs a name, though Time Waiters is a pretty good one. This thread is our cave, where we meet to share experiences. Members come and go, but maintain a connection to the Tribe. There is an US and a THEM, though we aren't exclusionary. But definitely an US.

Different members have different roles in the tribe. I'm one of the "elders of the tribe". No, not one of the leaders, my post count is far too low for that. One of the elders. The elders in a tribe are valuable because they are the ones that haven't been eaten by the saber-toothed molpys for the longest amount of time. Most roles in a tribe are earned, but you get to be an elder just by living a long time and seeing a lot of stuff, some of which works and some of which doesn't. So there is no special honor in being an elder, though viejo is used in Spanish as a term of honor as well as endearment (viejo/vieja = old man/old woman)

Some of our leaders are quite young, in fact, but have earned their place. Leaders set the tone and the direction of the advancement of the Tribe. Even young HAL9000 (may his presentation have gone well) has taken a leadership role at times. But the elders are old. Stands to reason.

People are free to leave, but few do. When not seen for a while, the others ask about/worry about them. Often they return and we rejoice.

Members of other tribes don't always understand. My wife is a bit mystified by all this.

We are not an army, but a Tribe. We share a culture. We extend that culture. The old ones (like myself) often offer advice to the young, as is good and proper. The leaders, like buffygirl, keep us unified (i.e. hatted). The advice of the old isn't always taken, as is also proper, as the young need, ultimately, to find their own way.

It is even possible that if Time ended that the Tribe would find a way to live on. It is even possible that GLR guides the Tribe by listening to what is here and providing direction via the OTC.

Since elders don't, typically, hunt anymore (leaving the pursuit of molpys to others) we are free to philosophize. Some of what we know is garbage. So, some of what we say is garbage. We (the elders) hope you understand. Sometimes we try to be funny/endearing so you don't throw us out. Sometimes we try to give serious important advice. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it is garbage. We hope you understand and continue to offer cake.

Chocolate.

Chocolate Cake.

Hmmm. Yes. That is the essence.
-- Charlie Grumbles

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 30, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Aren't mountains always farther away than they look, on account of being fricking massive?

When you are walking toward them, probably. When you are flying toward them, best not to make that assumption.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 30, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I've discovered that we on this thread are a Tribe. Perhaps it needs a name, though Time Waiters is a pretty good one. This thread is our cave, where we meet to share experiences. Members come and go, but maintain a connection to the Tribe. There is an US and a THEM, though we aren't exclusionary. But definitely an US.

Different members have different roles in the tribe. I'm one of the "elders of the tribe". No, not one of the leaders, my post count is far too low for that. One of the elders. The elders in a tribe are valuable because they are the ones that haven't been eaten by the saber-toothed molpys for the longest amount of time. Most roles in a tribe are earned, but you get to be an elder just by living a long time and seeing a lot of stuff, some of which works and some of which doesn't. So there is no special honor in being an elder, though viejo is used in Spanish as a term of honor as well as endearment (viejo/vieja = old man/old woman)

Some of our leaders are quite young, in fact, but have earned their place. Leaders set the tone and the direction of the advancement of the Tribe. Even young HAL9000 (may his presentation have gone well) has taken a leadership role at times. But the elders are old. Stands to reason.

People are free to leave, but few do. When not seen for a while, the others ask about/worry about them. Often they return and we rejoice.

Members of other tribes don't always understand. My wife is a bit mystified by all this.

We are not an army, but a Tribe. We share a culture. We extend that culture. The old ones (like myself) often offer advice to the young, as is good and proper. The leaders, like buffygirl, keep us unified (i.e. hatted). The advice of the old isn't always taken, as is also proper, as the young need, ultimately, to find their own way.

It is even possible that if Time ended that the Tribe would find a way to live on. It is even possible that GLR guides the Tribe by listening to what is here and providing direction via the OTC.

Since elders don't, typically, hunt anymore (leaving the pursuit of molpys to others) we are free to philosophize. Some of what we know is garbage. So, some of what we say is garbage. We (the elders) hope you understand. Sometimes we try to be funny/endearing so you don't throw us out. Sometimes we try to give serious important advice. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it is garbage. We hope you understand and continue to offer cake.

Chocolate.

Chocolate Cake.

Don't forget the ice cream!

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:ONGR, the GLR is reading the OTT...
Spoiler:

Aren't mountains always farther away than they look, on account of being fricking massive?

Absolutely. Until you get to them, then they're higher than they look because you can't see the tops any more. Looking up the mountain side, you might think the highest point you see is the summit -- which is often true when looking from much farther away -- but from nearby that's usually not true; you're seeing a nearer horizon instead.
Edited for compactness.
Last edited by Rule110 on Thu May 30, 2013 5:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu May 30, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I've discovered that we on this thread are a Tribe.
Spoiler:
Perhaps it needs a name, though Time Waiters is a pretty good one. This thread is our cave, where we meet to share experiences. Members come and go, but maintain a connection to the Tribe. There is an US and a THEM, though we aren't exclusionary. But definitely an US.

Chocolate.

Chocolate Cake.

To use Charlie_grumbles' metaphor, I have emerged from the back of the cave, where I have been lurking these past newpix, to give my consent to this sentiment. And with that, I shall return to the back of the cave to contemplate the meaning of the OTC and the ineffable will of GLR, the Creator of Time, and continue to wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

edit: fixed my quote. This is what happens when you spend too much time contemplating in the dark at the back of the cave :oops:
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Thu May 30, 2013 6:31 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 30, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:The technical description is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significand.
Interesting, though it does depend on the fact that binary is base two. I see it as a wraparound issue with the (imperfect) idea of significant digits. Consider base ten: The precision of two measurements which come to 0.9999 and 1.0000 is just about the same, but one is four sig figs, and the other is five. That's where the "hidden bits" come from.

SBN wrote:It's hidden in the Ketchup time image, in this post:
[url]viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3369378&hilit=click#p3369378[/url]
Ah, I see. I didn't realize it was a clickable image. What's old is new again.

higgs-boson wrote:From where I live and work to Madagascar it'll be something about 8000-9000 km beeline.
Is that a European bee or an African one?

Dracomax wrote:Aren't mountains always farther away than they look, on account of being fricking massive?
No, actually the amount of mass posessed by the mountains has little to do with the illusion of nearness. Styrofoam mountains would look just as far away (though they probably wouldn't last as long!)

charlie_grumbles wrote:We are not an army, but a Tribe.
But we have an army!
Spoiler:
from BlitzGirl:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

ONG
Ketchup post to follow.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 30, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:I've discovered that we on this thread are a Tribe.
Spoiler:
Perhaps it needs a name, though Time Waiters is a pretty good one. This thread is our cave, where we meet to share experiences. Members come and go, but maintain a connection to the Tribe. There is an US and a THEM, though we aren't exclusionary. But definitely an US.

Chocolate.

Chocolate Cake.

To use Opiboble's metaphor, I have emerged from the back of the cave, where I have been lurking these past newpix, to give my consent to this sentiment. And with that, I shall return to the back of the cave to contemplate the meaning of the OTC and the ineffable will of GLR, the Creator of Time, and continue to wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

FTFY. Also the voices seem to be back to normal there.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 30, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
No, actually the amount of mass posessed by the mountains has little to do with the illusion of nearness. Styrofoam mountains would look just as far away (though they probably wouldn't last as long!)

charlie_grumbles wrote:We are not an army, but a Tribe.
But we have an army!
Jose

a styrofoam mountain, by virtue of being the size of a mountain, should be fairly massive. Not particularly dense, but fairly massive.
“have i gone mad?

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu May 30, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

I'd love to have a Time Title. Or some cookies. Or lots and lots of chocolate.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 30, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:We hope you understand and continue to offer cake.

Chocolate.

Chocolate Cake.

Drat. I DID, I DID forget the ice cream.
(simple consequence of being an "elder". You have "elder moments". Stands to reason.)

Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ice Cream. (no substitutions permitted)
-- Charlie Grumbles

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 30, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Chocolate.

Chocolate Cake.

(simple consequence of being an "elder". You have "elder moments". Stands to reason.)

That's just because the inquision confiscated all of the mint chocolate chip ice cream for a big punishment.
“have i gone mad?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 30, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Chocolate.

Chocolate Cake.

That's just because the inquision confiscated all of the mint chocolate chip ice cream for a big punishment.

How about Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream?

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 30, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:a styrofoam mountain, by virtue of being the size of a mountain, should be fairly massive. Not particularly dense, but fairly massive.

Hmmmm. No. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass.

Though yes for some (small) values of "massive"

Hey everyone - everyone:
I wrote:Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ice Cream. (no substitutions permitted)

What part of NO substitutions wasn't clear? Hrrrrmmmmphhhh (old guy sound - can be safely ignored unless he has his cane in hand).
-- Charlie Grumbles

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”