1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

StratPlayer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 30, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Chaotic Pile of Ketchup (vol 13)

Spoiler:

"Fries anyone? Ketchup crash snarls traffic in Nevada"

Lucky volume 13 of the ketchup journal of past-post replies, begun from 13 NewPages in the past...

ucim wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:[...] my physics class was the first one to use calculators. They were certainly in common usage by then, of course, but our teacher thought the students should learn how to use slide rules. Kind of sorry I missed it, actually. I would have liked to learn how to use a slide rule.
It's actually pretty easy.
Spoiler:
There are two things you do with it.... operations with one number (what is the tangent of 43 degrees?, what is the cube of 6.34?) For that, you just move the cursor to the "question" number on one scale, and it points to the "answer" number on a different scale. There are separate scales for common "questions".

The other is doing multiplication by doing addition, but doing it in disguise. To see this in action, first, do addition with two rulers. What's 3+7? Put the "0" of one ruler on the "3" of the other ruler. Then, on the first ruler, move over to the "7". The answer ("10") is right below the "7", on the other ruler. That's all a slide rule is, with one twist, for which I'll have to take a little detour.
Explanation of multiplication using logarithms: How much is (7+7) + (7+7+7)? Don't do the actual arithmetic, but can you tell that it has to be the same as (7+7+7+7+7) ?
In shorthand, 7x2 + 7x3 = 7x5 You're just adding up five sevens... and you can do it in any order you want, even all at once.+

Now similarly
How much is (7x7) x (7x7x7)? Don't do the actual arithmetic, but can you tell that it has to be the same as (7x7x7x7x7) ?
In shorthand, 72 x 73 = 75
You're just multplying five sevens together, and you can do that in any order you want too.x

See what we just did? We multiplied by adding (the exponents)!

It only works because I picked special numbers in this illustration (integer powers of seven) but it actually works for any real number!

All real numbers can be expressed as seven to some power! (That power doesn't have to be an integer - there are a lot of numbers between seven squared and seven cubed, and they can be expressed as seven raised to some power between two and three. This number is called the logarithm. Any number can be used as the base; we don't have to use seven. You just have to be consistent (because the logarithms are different for different bases). 10 is a common base to use.So...
If we were to multiply this way by hand, without a slide rule...
step 1 is look up the logarithm of the two numbers you want to multiply
step 2 is to add them up.
step 3 is to raise your base (probably ten) to that power, and you have your answer! You've multiplied by adding!1

The slide rule combines all these steps into one, by labeling the two scales with the original numbers you wanted to multiply, saving yourself step 1 and step 3, and doing step 2 for you like when you did addition using two rulers, above. And that's why the scales on the slide rule look funny (they are "logarithmic").2,3

+ For the nitpicky, addition is binary, but associative and commutative, which essentially lets you accomplish what I just said.
x Same goes for multiplication. It shares these properties with addition.
1 Step 3 is usually "profit!", but this is math. That's why mathematicians never get rich!
2 See, math is the opposite of profit! The only steps left are the ones that are left blank in the classic profit sequence!
3 Oh... you have to supply your own decimal point. Math is like music - the numbers come in octaves (powers of ten) where the notes (digits) are the same, but the actual number (frequency) is different. The slide rule only displays one octave.
4 Of course, "improve" is a matter of opinion.

edit to add decimal point note.
edit to explain edit.
edit to improve explanation4

Great explanation! Nicely written! I remember using slide rules, but I've always preferred digital tools. The resolution and variation in how accurately you positioned the slide rule always bothered me. Even though I know there's internal rounding and loss of precision with each operation, I always got a warm fuzzy feeling in seeing all those displayed digits of not-quite accuracy from digital results: "The slide rule just says '7.2-ish'; the calculator says '7.17845620972196'. That's got to be better." :wink:

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Stop Chasing me! I am NOT a molpy! I am not tiny! I'm just farther away!

Sorry, dragging forward from several pages back, but i just wanted to show what this reminded me of.

Teehee, before I even clicked the link I had a hunch it would be that :D

I felt it had to be said. I'm sad to see it went so many pages without a mention... I prescribe all three seasons to everyone that doesn't know what we're talking about. You can just about do one episode between each newpix :-)

I have not seen the series, but I have heard of it -- usually accompanied with comments of "You should definitely watch it!" I'll take this one as a final push to bump it to the top of my Netflix queue, once I get caught up on Doctor Who.

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:But as always, I'm glad that:

-- I didn't miss the big End of Time.
-- The OTT is still here and still active, and
-- Peaceful Waiting in the OTT hasn't degenerated into "Oh yeah?!? Well, you're completely wrong, you drooling imbecile! And also, your mother eats carbonated toadstools, you cretinous collection of clueless carbon!" flame-war.

And so backwards I go to get current...

I wonder what a carbonated toadstool tastes like...I'll have to ask her some time.

You know, I'm not certain. A Google search mainly only points to "Heidi Deus Sparkling Toadstool crystal pin" jewelry... I'd assume that it's a form of fungus that induces hallucinations, convulsions, seizures, and eventual death, but with a effervescent and bubbly taste that tickles your nose.

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks, yappo! That would be Trajan Pro.

Spoiler:
ImageNG:

At first, I misread that and thought you were referring to some sort of prophylactic not recommended for use by amateurs... :shock: :wink:

ChronosDragon wrote:As promised...
Spoiler:

Wonderful! Great job! (But I still say the book thread is better...)

...and again two NP's ahead, one NP back -- 12 NP's to go...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Thu May 30, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:
ttscp wrote:Nobody asked about avatars, but it sort of goes with the question about forum handles.
[snip]
Here, since you asked, is one of the computer generated snowflakes.
Spoiler:

Whoa! That's pretty nifty. I wonder what would happen if I draw random lines as vectors and rotate them like that...
Spoiler:

Hmmm, interesting, it reminds me of the pictures one could draw with a spyrograph in a note book. Which gives me an idea...
Spoiler:

:shock:
Okay, never mind!

Thank you. You did some pretty cool work yourself.
The trick is getting them to interact. Like so:
(click on the image for a bigger version).
This is two objects, one mirror, one reducing rotation and one translation.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

Ketchuped!
Dracomax wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up and up...

and then down again, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

So, you think they'll sled down? or possibly raft? With water that might be white?

If they do sled down the mountain, they'd be able to use their ropes to make a sled, just like Shackleton did when he needed to get down a mountain quickly.
Febrion wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:...and the two-steps-forward-one-step-back progress of my ketchup continues: 2 more NP's ketchupped and 1 NP added = 14 NPs to go...

14 pages of posts to go, 14 pages of posts.
Load a page, read it out, 13 pages of posts to go
<snip>

Well, in reality it's more like:
Load a page, read it out, 15 pages of posts to go

Time for my second filk, heavily inspired by Neil_Boekend but modified to fit the original lyrical structure and rhyming scheme:
Spoiler:
99 pages to Blitz in the thread, 99 pages to Blitz!
read the text, scroll down, click next
98 pages to Blitz in the thread!

And so on. You can also count up, if you want.

I can't come up with enough ideas to filk a song that's any longer/less repetitive than this or Gollum's Fish Song. *sigh* whatever...
TheMinim wrote:I'd love to have a Time Title. Or some cookies. Or lots and lots of chocolate.

Well, if we do ever make that deck of Tarot cards, you should probably be X - Wheel of Fortune. It's impossible to predict what you'll say next, and your occasional complete non sequiturs are entertaining in the way a simple "monkey tacos" can't even dream of reaching.
Like this one. It's been dozens of pages since the last title was handed out (excluding the rotating honorary of VMPC).
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 30, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Dracomax wrote:a styrofoam mountain, by virtue of being the size of a mountain, should be fairly massive. Not particularly dense, but fairly massive.

Hmmmm. No. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass.

Though yes for some (small) values of "massive"

I disagree. for styrofoam to attain the size of a mountain, it would have to become a lot denser than most styrofoam. In addition, the shear size of a mountain means that even if it weren't compacted by the weight of styrofoam above it, which would be tons and tons,just having that much of anything in one place means that the gravitational pull from it will be measurable. Mass in Styrofoam is not negligible, even if it isn't high. Enough of that mass increases the weight significantly. however, due to the nature of styrofoam, it would compact under the weight of styrofoam on top of it. Which would make it denser, and allow/force more styrofoam to be added in order to reach mountain size.

A cubic centimeter of uncrushed Styrofoam weighs about .9 grams. Reference
Everest has a volume of approximately 2413 cubic kilometers.reference
An uncompressed styrofoam mountain of the size of Everest would be 241300000Cm2, or .9*241300000=217170Kilograms, Earth Gravity. Most likely more due to the afforementioned compression. Terrestrially speaking, that's pretty darn massive. It might not be much on steller scales, but it's massive, none the less.
Last edited by Dracomax on Thu May 30, 2013 6:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Thu May 30, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

(Blindpost from NP 732/747)

PhoenixRising wrote:As far as I can tell, the reason fewer of us are making big posts is that a lot of us aren't necessarily able to catch back up when the thread jumps a dozen, 20, 40 pages ahead during RL business. Also, some of the people still catching up either stopped posting signposts after various discussions or just caught back up. And since most of the big summary posts were from catching up (like this post) fewer people catching up = fewer summaries. Actually, now that I think of it, I might be the only one still perpetually chasing 10-15 NP behind the Present. Most of the Blitzers I'm aware of have reached the Present and the rest are, as far as I know, deep in the Past.

I think I'm in that same boat with you, perpetually ketchingup, but I don't do signposts, so there's no reason anyone would know that :)

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu May 30, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:I've discovered that we on this thread are a Tribe.
Spoiler:
Perhaps it needs a name, though Time Waiters is a pretty good one. This thread is our cave, where we meet to share experiences. Members come and go, but maintain a connection to the Tribe. There is an US and a THEM, though we aren't exclusionary. But definitely an US.

Different members have different roles in the tribe. I'm one of the "elders of the tribe". No, not one of the leaders, my post count is far too low for that. One of the elders. The elders in a tribe are valuable because they are the ones that haven't been eaten by the saber-toothed molpys for the longest amount of time. Most roles in a tribe are earned, but you get to be an elder just by living a long time and seeing a lot of stuff, some of which works and some of which doesn't. So there is no special honor in being an elder, though viejo is used in Spanish as a term of honor as well as endearment (viejo/vieja = old man/old woman)

Some of our leaders are quite young, in fact, but have earned their place. Leaders set the tone and the direction of the advancement of the Tribe. Even young HAL9000 (may his presentation have gone well) has taken a leadership role at times. But the elders are old. Stands to reason.

People are free to leave, but few do. When not seen for a while, the others ask about/worry about them. Often they return and we rejoice.

Members of other tribes don't always understand. My wife is a bit mystified by all this.

We are not an army, but a Tribe. We share a culture. We extend that culture. The old ones (like myself) often offer advice to the young, as is good and proper. The leaders, like buffygirl, keep us unified (i.e. hatted). The advice of the old isn't always taken, as is also proper, as the young need, ultimately, to find their own way.

It is even possible that if Time ended that the Tribe would find a way to live on. It is even possible that GLR guides the Tribe by listening to what is here and providing direction via the OTC.

Since elders don't, typically, hunt anymore (leaving the pursuit of molpys to others) we are free to philosophize. Some of what we know is garbage. So, some of what we say is garbage. We (the elders) hope you understand. Sometimes we try to be funny/endearing so you don't throw us out. Sometimes we try to give serious important advice. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it is garbage. We hope you understand and continue to offer cake.

Chocolate.

Chocolate Cake.

Hmmm. Yes. That is the essence.

Don't forget the ice cream!

To use Opiboble's Charlie_grumbles' metaphor, I have emerged from the back of the cave, where I have been lurking these past newpix, to give my consent to this sentiment. And with that, I shall return to the back of the cave to contemplate the meaning of the OTC and the ineffable will of GLR, the Creator of Time, and continue to wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

FTFY. Also the voices seem to be back to normal there.

I flubbed the quote, did I? That is what happens when one spends too much time contemplating in the dark at the back of the cave :oops:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 30, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:I've discovered that we on this thread are a Tribe. Perhaps it needs a name, though Time Waiters is a pretty good one. This thread is our cave, where we meet to share experiences. Members come and go, but maintain a connection to the Tribe. There is an US and a THEM, though we aren't exclusionary. But definitely an US.

Different members have different roles in the tribe. I'm one of the "elders of the tribe". No, not one of the leaders, my post count is far too low for that. One of the elders. The elders in a tribe are valuable because they are the ones that haven't been eaten by the saber-toothed molpys for the longest amount of time. Most roles in a tribe are earned, but you get to be an elder just by living a long time and seeing a lot of stuff, some of which works and some of which doesn't. So there is no special honor in being an elder, though viejo is used in Spanish as a term of honor as well as endearment (viejo/vieja = old man/old woman)

Some of our leaders are quite young, in fact, but have earned their place. Leaders set the tone and the direction of the advancement of the Tribe. Even young HAL9000 (may his presentation have gone well) has taken a leadership role at times. But the elders are old. Stands to reason.

People are free to leave, but few do. When not seen for a while, the others ask about/worry about them. Often they return and we rejoice.

Members of other tribes don't always understand. My wife is a bit mystified by all this.

We are not an army, but a Tribe. We share a culture. We extend that culture. The old ones (like myself) often offer advice to the young, as is good and proper. The leaders, like buffygirl, keep us unified (i.e. hatted). The advice of the old isn't always taken, as is also proper, as the young need, ultimately, to find their own way.

It is even possible that if Time ended that the Tribe would find a way to live on. It is even possible that GLR guides the Tribe by listening to what is here and providing direction via the OTC.

Since elders don't, typically, hunt anymore (leaving the pursuit of molpys to others) we are free to philosophize. Some of what we know is garbage. So, some of what we say is garbage. We (the elders) hope you understand. Sometimes we try to be funny/endearing so you don't throw us out. Sometimes we try to give serious important advice. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it is garbage. We hope you understand and continue to offer cake.

Chocolate.

Chocolate Cake.

Don't forget the ice cream!

To use Opiboble's Charlie_grumbles' metaphor, I have emerged from the back of the cave, where I have been lurking these past newpix, to give my consent to this sentiment. And with that, I shall return to the back of the cave to contemplate the meaning of the OTC and the ineffable will of GLR, the Creator of Time, and continue to wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

FTFY. Also the voices seem to be back to normal there.

I flubbed the quote, did I? That is what happens when one spends too much time contemplating in the dark at the back of the cave :oops:

You need to eat more carrots, boost that night vision.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 30, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Dracomax wrote:a styrofoam mountain, by virtue of being the size of a mountain, should be fairly massive. Not particularly dense, but fairly massive.

I disagree. for styrofoam to attain the size of a mountain, <snip>

We've replaced their mountain with styrofoam, let's see if they notice.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 30, 2013 6:35 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

I disagree. for styrofoam to attain the size of a mountain, <snip>

We've replaced their mountain with styrofoam, let's see if they notice.

Well, IRL, I suspect the fact it would likely explode would be your first clue.
“have i gone mad?

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu May 30, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

Every time a post ends with the echo text, I expect that the next poster will do this:

Spoiler:
Wait for it...
... :? ...
WINNSSTOOOOOONNNNNN!
:shock:

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time" and this Tribe

Postby mscha » Thu May 30, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Perhaps it needs a name, though Time Waiters is a pretty good one. This thread is our cave, where we meet to share experiences. Members come and go, but maintain a connection to the Tribe. There is an US and a THEM, though we aren't exclusionary. But definitely an US.

Chocolate.

Chocolate Cake.

I agree with us being a tribe. But I do think you're being far too self-deprecating as an elder...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:But now that the Svithjod rock is hatted, did eternity get a bit longer. The little bird now has to peck through the hat before it can sharpen its beak.

It's like a newpix--if the duration of an eternity appears to have changed, it is actually the Outside which has changed relatively. The length of the eternity actually remains the same. ;)

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:...and the two-steps-forward-one-step-back progress of my ketchup continues: 2 more NP's ketchupped and 1 NP added = 14 NPs to go...

Load a page, read it out, 13 pages of posts to go

The full version

Code: Select all

for (i=14;i=0;i--)
{
     printf ("%d pages of posts to go, %d pages of posts. \n Load a page, read it out, %d pages of posts to go. \n \n", i, i, i-1)
}

Adjust the "14" to your position of course.

Disclaimer: I failed my C classes. And it wasn't much. And it was years ago. I probably made an oopsie somewhere, even though it's short and semipseudo, but I have no compiler available at the moment so I can not test whether it'll work or kill everyone in a 20 km radius.

Good ol' coding days... it's been a while for me too. But this fun code snippet reminded me of this one from FoxTrot:

Opiboble wrote:This would also explain why we missed DAYS of them walking on the beach, and that was due to Lord Randall re-calibrating the WM generator to follow them and some how it skipped a few days into there future.

Is it possible that the whole comic began in media res and they had already traveled several days when they stopped to build the castle? Their dialogue from the Sandcastle Eon suggest that they already had concerns about the river and sea before we met them. Also, we don't know how long the Fading lasted, but it very well could have been days. We have seen them sleep several times now, and they might have even slept during the Fake Loop, wherein they did lie down, which could have been suggesting the passing of another day.

To me it seems like there have always been signs of multiple days for each leg of their journey, and so I've always looked at it that way. I guess I didn't realize stop to think that maybe some of those rests were just naps. Could be though.

SBN wrote:We've replaced their mountain with styrofoam, let's see if they notice.

Just don't touch mine!!!

Sorry for misplaced spoiler tag. Now fixed.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 30, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:Well, in reality it's more like:
Load a page, read it out, 15 pages of posts to go

:lol: This is funnier than it has any right to be.

ucim wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:<snip>We are not an army, but a Tribe.
But we have an army!
Spoiler:
from BlitzGirl:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Yes! And don't forget all of our knights temporal!

k.bookbinder wrote:
Spoiler:

Chocolate.

Chocolate Cake.

To use Charlie_grumbles' metaphor, I have emerged from the back of the cave, where I have been lurking these past newpix, to give my consent to this sentiment. And with that, I shall return to the back of the cave to contemplate the meaning of the OTC and the ineffable will of GLR, the Creator of Time, and continue to wait for it. <snip>

Oh my Randall, IT ALL MAKES SENSE! Plato foresaw Time! Shadows on the wall of the cave! Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
ucim wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:<snip>We are not an army, but a Tribe.
But we have an army!
Spoiler:
from BlitzGirl:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Yes! And don't forget all of our knights temporal!

I made a logo for us Knights earlier, too! Which means we can have a flag! Every proper army needs a flag.
The logo can be found in this post.
That post is, as of 9 NP ago, in the first half of the thread. I've been here for a while now :shock:
<snip>
The leaders, like buffygirl, keep us unified (i.e. hatted). The advice of the old isn't always taken, as is also proper, as the young need, ultimately, to find their own way.

Once the OTC ends and we've said all that can be said about it (that may take quite some time, though we will probably have to be more careful to stay on-topic after we stop receiving newpix), I'll be starting a thread in the General subforum, assuming nobody beats me to it.
charlie_grumbles wrote:<more snipping>
Chocolate.

Chocolate Cake.

Bravo, charlie_grumbles! Bravo! That's a pretty good description of the thread as it stands today.
How about the Tribe of Time as an alternative to Time Waiters? Both would be, of course, interchangeable.
This is hat-worthy, but I'm not quite sure how to go about editing a .gif. I can, however, bestow headgear upon faithful pets:
hatted fluffy.png

It's far from the best, but I'm still only an aspiring Milliner and thus had to use Pages to edit this (as I have been too lazy to download Adobe).
ETA that I used the fire-breathing Fluffy because it was the only picture I could find of Fluffy that didn't have text on it.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Thu May 30, 2013 7:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

thirds

Postby thirds » Thu May 30, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

umONG

Edit: They moved! Coming up on a little bit of a rise... mirroring the OTT's anticipation.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

thirds wrote:umONG

Umong is, incidentally, part of the name of a Buddhist temple in Thailand:
Spoiler:

Perhaps they'll be encountering one of those soon.

thirds

Postby thirds » Thu May 30, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
thirds wrote:umONG

Umong is, incidentally, part of the name of a Buddhist temple in Thailand:
Spoiler:

Perhaps they'll be encountering one of those soon.

That would be a rather steep climb.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu May 30, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Chocolate.

Chocolate Cake.

I agree with us being a tribe. But I do think you're being far too self-deprecating as an elder...

I love the Tribe view of the OTT, it seems to fit us*.

*I was quoted by BlitzGirl some NewPages back, so I'm assuming that I'm in.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 30, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Chaotic Pile of Ketchup (vol 14)

Spoiler:

"Fries anyone? Ketchup crash snarls traffic in Nevada"

...another in a series of on-going replies to past-posts as I work to ketchup -- Now from 12 NewPages in the past...

Flado wrote:That is... words have left me... StratPlayer, you rock!
StratPlayer wrote:You're just a...
Waiter in the Lonely Part
(based on "Owner of a Lonely Heart" by Yes)
Spoiler:
By yourself;
You always seem to post
With no-one seeing what you do here.
Try, yourself,
to keep your mind awake --
Only MobTeeseBoose and you here.

See yourself!
Just by yourself you Wait
You, just you -- and yet you sit and stay.

Wait! Wake yourself!
Maybe the bots will say
something 'fore they go???

Waiter in the lonely part,
Waiter in the lonely part.
All alone, youre a

Say you don't want to chance it?
Maybe you'll Wait some more...

Watch it now;
Others might wander by,
You won't be the one and only.
You wait, yourself,
no, not for Randall's sake,
you just wish you weren't so lonely...
Be yourself!
You've got to take your stance:
The "Wait for it," you must heed!!!

All alone, youre a

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D

uaeio wrote:
Spoiler:

...trying my damndest. There's just no sexy in sticks.

This is absolutely true. And Canadian scientists even confirmed it in 2011 (and don't worry -- the link is guaranteed 100% safe-for-all-eyes).

TheMinim wrote:I think what Cueball's doing (Added: making shapes with his shadow) is cool, and I am amazed at getting an ONG at long last! Shadows are cool.

Congratulations on your first ONG! And what the heck?!?! Why is he doing that? Who knows what Cueball is thinking? Who knows what reasons he has for anything? Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of men? The Shadow knows!!! :wink:

And an aside: In an earlier ketchup post, I jokingly gave jjjdavidson some flak for being old and referring to Henny Youngman, Robert Goulet, and Tom Jones, and now I turn around and reference a RADIO program from the 1930's??? First, I was NOT alive in the 1930's, but I am old enough that jjjdavidson should feel free to give me some flak right back...
:lol: :P

xpatiate wrote:OK so I might be all alone out on a limb here, squirrel-like, but I'm going to pelt you all with a few more acorns about fractals and Mandelbrot and stuff while I'm up here.
Spoiler:
Yesterday I mentioned I'd come across Mandelbrot's idea that the world is an 'infinite sea of complexity' which contains two 'islands of simplicity': one is smooth Euclidean forms, and the other is the fractal world of self-similar 'roughness'. I'm definitely no mathematician, so am way out of my depth, especially in present company - actually I only have the vaguest idea what the Mandelbrot Set even is :) But that phrase 'islands of simplicity' struck a chord, and since then I've been wondering if the OTC could in fact be a kind of literal/visual interpretation of this idea.

Some of the parallels are...
- Cueball & Megan are not in any immediately identifiable 'real' place, but there are clues that hint they might be on an island
- wherever they are, it's definitely a place of simplicity. There's not much around, their language is simple, their sleeping/eating needs are simple, the visible technology is simple.
- the recursive sandcastle was a definite nod to the notion of self-similarity. The squirrel tree might have been another, as Chronosdragon illustrated. Maybe there have been more?

Then there's the sea (and this is where my limb starts dipping precariously)... Could the rising sea be an indicator of encroaching complexity? Since it started rising, Cueball & Megan have started trying to understand things that evidently never concerned them much before; the comic has acquired much more narrative momentum; and the landscape around them has become more and more finely detailed.

There was lots of discussion about fractals back when the recursive sandcastle appeared, but that was before this whole geographical exploration started. One of Mandelbrot's first papers on self-similarity related to coastlines, so a journey along the shore would be a great way to illustrate that notion... although you'd think a view from above would make it easier to get the point across! And of course none of that sheds much light on the rivers or the mysterious hill dwellers. Something to think about though.

Interesting and thought-provoking, so naturally it's time to refer to something silly and irreverent, but on-topic -- The Mandlebrot Joke: What does the "B." in Benoit B. Mandlebrot stand for?
Spoiler:
"Benoit B. Mandlebrot"

Neil_Boekend wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
ttscp wrote:We are articulate, intelligent, creative, xkcd followers.

I aren't not! I aren't not articulate!

I've evidently given the silent quote (perhaps I was quoting Harpo Marx, Silent Bob, or Mr. Bean?). But personally I don't think I've ever sounded more articulate, intelligent, and creative.... :wink:

...And on to volume 15. But at least I'm gaining ground -- I'm now only 10 NewPages from the present! :D
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu May 30, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Fake
Spoiler:
ONG...

Edit: yes, it's a fake.

Hmmm... I did that once, quite unintentionally, by printing a B&W image as the red inkjet cartridge gave out half-way thru the page. Try doing *that* on purpose!

edit: sorry for losing the spoiler
Last edited by cellocgw on Thu May 30, 2013 7:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Thu May 30, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Update from my new project: It did not turn out just as I imagined it, but due to Outside restrictions I will have to leave it at that for some Time now. There are some avatars missing and some are stale, and I am not entirely content with the way some of them are scaled. However, those without an avatar are mentioned in randomly coloured rectangles, their name spelled out in xkcd font.
As it became my custom with such images, there is a huge version of them as well.

If someone wants to turn this thing into a clickable map, I could provide any image size and a corresponding JSON dataset with coordinates, names and/or user ids.

On another note: Looks like I would be the one who paints the walls of the caves, depicting the life and history of the tribe...
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 30, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:...a styrofoam mountain, by virtue of being the size of a mountain, should be fairly massive. Not particularly dense, but fairly massive.
True enough, but it would look just as close by as an equivalent mountain made of lead. So, the reason for its being farther away than it looks is unrelated to its mass, at least on a non-relativistic scale.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Thu May 30, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Update from my new project:
Spoiler:
It did not turn out just as I imagined it, but due to Outside restrictions I will have to leave it at that for some Time now. There are some avatars missing and some are stale, and I am not entirely content with the way some of them are scaled. However, those without an avatar are mentioned in randomly coloured rectangles, their name spelled out in xkcd font.
As it became my custom with such images, there is a huge version of them as well.

If someone wants to turn this thing into a clickable map, I could provide any image size and a corresponding JSON dataset with coordinates, names and/or user ids.

On another note: Looks like I would be the one who paints the walls of the caves, depicting the life and history of the tribe...

OMR, I'm on the wall! *giggles like a school girl*

Sciscitor, that is awesome.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 30, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
Spoiler:
It did not turn out just as I imagined it, but due to Outside restrictions I will have to leave it at that for some Time now. There are some avatars missing and some are stale, and I am not entirely content with the way some of them are scaled. However, those without an avatar are mentioned in randomly coloured rectangles, their name spelled out in xkcd font.

Very VERY awesome!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:
Spoiler:

Very VERY awesome!

Indeed it is. Sorry to be nitpicky again, but do you know what page this is current to?

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 30, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
Spoiler:
Baobabish!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 30, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

Awefulsome, even!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Thu May 30, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Indeed it is. Sorry to be nitpicky again, but do you know what page this is current to?

The post data is current up to post 29439, with the avatars it is a bit tricky. I've lost some of my data for them due to a slightly misbehaving script, but I am planning to fill the missing ones, as soon as I've got Time.
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu May 30, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
Spoiler:

7! And I'm in it! *yay*

7: wow
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

pachinkoid

Postby pachinkoid » Thu May 30, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

tribe^H^H^H^H^Hgranfalloon

ftfy.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

pachinkoid wrote:tribe^H^H^H^H^Hgranfalloon

ftfy.

This sorta thing is highly confusing to me. what does ^H^H^H^H^H mean?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

GNO SDRAWKCAB
ETA: also my 876th post! I like numbers like that, where they sorta special in only one base system.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Thu May 30, 2013 8:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Thu May 30, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

ftfy.

^H is the ASCII control code for backspace.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

Qalyar wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

ftfy.

I see. So it means a similar thing to strikethrough'd text?

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu May 30, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
TheMinim wrote:I'd love to have a Time Title. Or some cookies. Or lots and lots of chocolate.

Well, if we do ever make that deck of Tarot cards, you should probably be X - Wheel of Fortune. It's impossible to predict what you'll say next, and your occasional complete non sequiturs are entertaining in the way a simple "monkey tacos" can't even dream of reaching.
Like this one. It's been dozens of pages since the last title was handed out (excluding the rotating honorary of VMPC).

I am predictable in my unpredictability! And I finally get to say that! Go me! :D
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 30, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Dracomax wrote:...a styrofoam mountain, by virtue of being the size of a mountain, should be fairly massive. Not particularly dense, but fairly massive.
True enough, but it would look just as close by as an equivalent mountain made of lead. So, the reason for its being farther away than it looks is unrelated to its mass, at least on a non-relativistic scale.

Jose

Okay, I retract massive and replace it with Sea-like. Is that good enough for the pedantic minded among you?

And now, I'm off. I may be back on tonight, I may not, but After, I'll be gone for 72-is Timeframes, and then have a massive Ketchup, so I'll see you all whenever I am back. Hope It doesn't come in the meantime.
“have i gone mad?

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 30, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Update from my new project: It did not turn out just as I imagined it, but due to Outside restrictions I will have to leave it at that for some Time now. There are some avatars missing and some are stale, and I am not entirely content with the way some of them are scaled. However, those without an avatar are mentioned in randomly coloured rectangles, their name spelled out in xkcd font.

If I had more time, this is exactly the kind of stuff I would be doing... only probably not as elegantly. Sciscitor, once again I am amazed - so glad you are here, Senior OTT Analyst! (Yep I did just promote you.)

It is clear you are true to these fine words from the well renowned science guy, Steve Spangler:

Make it big.
Do it right.
Give it class.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Thu May 30, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Qalyar wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

ftfy.

I see. So it means a similar thing to strikethrough'd text?

Yes. Both serve to produce epanorthosis, which can be your word for the day -- er, newpix! :D

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Thu May 30, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Update from my new project: It did not turn out just as I imagined it, but due to Outside restrictions I will have to leave it at that for some Time now. There are some avatars missing and some are stale, and I am not entirely content with the way some of them are scaled. However, those without an avatar are mentioned in randomly coloured rectangles, their name spelled out in xkcd font.

If I had more time, this is exactly the kind of stuff I would be doing... only probably not as elegantly. Sciscitor, once again I am amazed - so glad you are here, Senior OTT Analyst! (Yep I did just promote you.)

It is clear you are true to these fine words from the well renowned science guy, Steve Spangler:

Make it big.
Do it right.
Give it class.

Thank you for the promotion, director! :D Free cookies for all!

It isn't that elegant, anyway, but until after this wip I will not have a lot of Time for the OTC and the OTT, so I am glad you all liked it. :) Just wanted to say that I'm enjoying all the other art here very much for I'm neither very good with poetry nor with music or haberdashery.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 30, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Valarya Image newpixbot
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:I want to marry newpixbot.

Not only do I love the newpixbot, but I love the molpy hunter, too! molpies and pixbots and mscha's oh my. 8-)
Awww.... Image
Valarya wrote:So, mscha.. since I buttered you up real nice there,
Awww.... Image Image
Valarya wrote:think you could make me a cool morphy .gif, too? :mrgreen: I did a regular gif, but I like how yours are .... well, morphy-like. *wiggles around in excitement*

How could I refuse you, after all that?
It's a tricky one, since the only thing that properly matches is the hat. Still, it turned out pretty nicely, I'd say.

Eternal Density wrote:Is there some kind of queue or mob for people requesting animated avatars? If so, I'd like to join such a group, as I'm not wholely satisfied with my current effort of sticking BlitzGirl's "small" bubble from the boomdeyadda onto my buffygirlhaberdashery avatar.

You call that asking nicely? You should take lessons from Valarya. Image
I made you one anyway, though:
Last edited by mscha on Thu May 30, 2013 8:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”