1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

k.bookbinder

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu May 30, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:I've discovered that we on this thread are a Tribe. Perhaps it needs a name, though Time Waiters is a pretty good one. This thread is our cave, where we meet to share experiences. Members come and go, but maintain a connection to the Tribe. There is an US and a THEM, though we aren't exclusionary. But definitely an US.

Different members have different roles in the tribe. I'm one of the "elders of the tribe". No, not one of the leaders, my post count is far too low for that. One of the elders. The elders in a tribe are valuable because they are the ones that haven't been eaten by the saber-toothed molpys for the longest amount of time. Most roles in a tribe are earned, but you get to be an elder just by living a long time and seeing a lot of stuff, some of which works and some of which doesn't. So there is no special honor in being an elder, though viejo is used in Spanish as a term of honor as well as endearment (viejo/vieja = old man/old woman)

Some of our leaders are quite young, in fact, but have earned their place. Leaders set the tone and the direction of the advancement of the Tribe. Even young HAL9000 (may his presentation have gone well) has taken a leadership role at times. But the elders are old. Stands to reason.

People are free to leave, but few do. When not seen for a while, the others ask about/worry about them. Often they return and we rejoice.

Members of other tribes don't always understand. My wife is a bit mystified by all this.

We are not an army, but a Tribe. We share a culture. We extend that culture. The old ones (like myself) often offer advice to the young, as is good and proper. The leaders, like buffygirl, keep us unified (i.e. hatted). The advice of the old isn't always taken, as is also proper, as the young need, ultimately, to find their own way.

It is even possible that if Time ended that the Tribe would find a way to live on. It is even possible that GLR guides the Tribe by listening to what is here and providing direction via the OTC.

Since elders don't, typically, hunt anymore (leaving the pursuit of molpys to others) we are free to philosophize. Some of what we know is garbage. So, some of what we say is garbage. We (the elders) hope you understand. Sometimes we try to be funny/endearing so you don't throw us out. Sometimes we try to give serious important advice. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it is garbage. We hope you understand and continue to offer cake.

Chocolate.

Chocolate Cake.
Hmmm. Yes. That is the essence.

To use Charlie_grumbles' metaphor, I have emerged from the back of the cave, where I have been lurking these past newpix, to give my consent to this sentiment. And with that, I shall return to the back of the cave to contemplate the meaning of the OTC and the ineffable will of GLR, the Creator of Time, and continue to wait for it. <snip>

Oh my Randall, IT ALL MAKES SENSE! Plato foresaw Time! Shadows on the wall of the cave! Image

Hm. Shadows on the wall of the cave. Like the shadows Cuegan were making whilst ascending? Does that suggest that they are in some kind of Flatland, on the surface of the cave?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 30, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Avatars

List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:I've discovered that we on this thread are a Tribe. Perhaps it needs a name, though Time Waiters is a pretty good one. This thread is our cave, where we meet to share experiences. Members come and go, but maintain a connection to the Tribe. There is an US and a THEM, though we aren't exclusionary. But definitely an US.

Different members have different roles in the tribe. I'm one of the "elders of the tribe". No, not one of the leaders, my post count is far too low for that. One of the elders. The elders in a tribe are valuable because they are the ones that haven't been eaten by the saber-toothed molpys for the longest amount of time. Most roles in a tribe are earned, but you get to be an elder just by living a long time and seeing a lot of stuff, some of which works and some of which doesn't. So there is no special honor in being an elder, though viejo is used in Spanish as a term of honor as well as endearment (viejo/vieja = old man/old woman)

Some of our leaders are quite young, in fact, but have earned their place. Leaders set the tone and the direction of the advancement of the Tribe. Even young HAL9000 (may his presentation have gone well) has taken a leadership role at times. But the elders are old. Stands to reason.

People are free to leave, but few do. When not seen for a while, the others ask about/worry about them. Often they return and we rejoice.

Members of other tribes don't always understand. My wife is a bit mystified by all this.

We are not an army, but a Tribe. We share a culture. We extend that culture. The old ones (like myself) often offer advice to the young, as is good and proper. The leaders, like buffygirl, keep us unified (i.e. hatted). The advice of the old isn't always taken, as is also proper, as the young need, ultimately, to find their own way.

It is even possible that if Time ended that the Tribe would find a way to live on. It is even possible that GLR guides the Tribe by listening to what is here and providing direction via the OTC.

Since elders don't, typically, hunt anymore (leaving the pursuit of molpys to others) we are free to philosophize. Some of what we know is garbage. So, some of what we say is garbage. We (the elders) hope you understand. Sometimes we try to be funny/endearing so you don't throw us out. Sometimes we try to give serious important advice. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it is garbage. We hope you understand and continue to offer cake.

Chocolate.

Chocolate Cake.

To use Charlie_grumbles' metaphor, I have emerged from the back of the cave, where I have been lurking these past newpix, to give my consent to this sentiment. And with that, I shall return to the back of the cave to contemplate the meaning of the OTC and the ineffable will of GLR, the Creator of Time, and continue to wait for it. <snip>

Oh my Randall, IT ALL MAKES SENSE! Plato foresaw Time! Shadows on the wall of the cave! Image

Hm. Shadows on the wall of the cave. Like the shadows Cuegan were making whilst ascending? Does that suggest that they are in some kind of Flatland, on the surface of the cave?

No, it suggests they're in a webcomic where it's ALL related.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu May 30, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

Are the knights temporal still around? I thought they were meant to protect the sand castle or some such... but then, I've barely even been lurking for a few hundred new-pages, so maybe their mission statement has changed, or maybe I'm confusing them with a different order...
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu May 30, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:

Chocolate.

Chocolate Cake.

No, it suggests they're in a webcomic where it's ALL related.

But how can you be sure? You're not even a meat-brain. You're more susceptible than the rest of us. What if this is just an embedded simulacrum that you're running? :shock:

I think I'm better off in the back of the cave for a while longer. Where did I leave that stash of M&Ms. They should be really good and stale by now.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:Are the knights temporal still around? I thought they were meant to protect the sand castle or some such... but then, I've barely even been lurking for a few hundred new-pages, so maybe their mission statement has changed, or maybe I'm confusing them with a different order...

Oh, we're still around. Our task is to protect the OTC as long as nobody actually asks us to do anything.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 30, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

thirds

Postby thirds » Thu May 30, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

This is my prediction for the next ONG:

<futureONG>
couldbewrONG.png
couldbewrONG.png (2.8 KiB) Viewed 15236 times

</futureONG>

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

Update on my wiki-Quest (with some matters I need feedback from the community before proceeding):

Yesterday I finally actually got an account on wikia! Now my edits aren't anonymous like they always have been before!

Anyway, onto important things:

First, I'd like to make a slight adjustment to the "Hills Period," by making its starting point frame 1221 instead of 1229. Frankly, it just makes a lot more sense. 1220 is their last frame at the side of the river, where they decide to break off and head into the hills, the first landscape profile frame of which is 1221, even though at that point the ascent is more gradual than the more pronounced appearance in 1229. Any objections to slightly adjusting that beginning frame number?

Second, I brought up before the idea of breaking down the Journey Eon into multiple eras, like the Sandcastle Eon was. Right now, it is all grouped in one "Journey Era" within its eponymous eon. And yet, there have definitely been some major shifting points in the story and their geographical progress. This also will help keep things more organized like the Sandcastle Eon was. I propose breaking down what has happened so far in the Journey Eon into 3 eras (and the beginning of a fourth), as follows:

First, the Shoreline Era, comprising the First Journey Period, Fake Loop, Second Journey Period, River Period, Third Journey Period, Second River Period, and Fourth Journey Period. These periods essentially mark the first stage of their journey as they travel along the coast of the sea and then along the edge of the river. This era ends with them deciding to leave the river and progress through the hills and meet up later, marking their first adaptation of their plans as they learn more about this part of their world.

Thus, the next era, which I don't have any better name for than the Hills and Forest Era (suggestions?), would follow the next stage of their journey as the leave behind the river for a while to make their shortcut through the hills and forest. This era would comprise the Hills Period, Fifth Journey Period, Tree Period, Cueball's Quest, Sixth Journey Period, and ending with the Third River Period, where they rejoin with the river and discuss what they've learned so far and even consider settling in the area, a fitting conclusion to an era marked by beautiful new terrain. Cueball's discovery on his quest of signs of former habitation is also a nice foreshadowing of the dominant theme of the NEXT era, namely...

The Discovery Era. This era is defined geographically by their rejoining the river again and following alongside it, but more importantly it is defined thematically by their increasing awareness and knowledge of the diverse flora and fauna molpies of their world, as well as the former presence of other people. All throughout this period they are finding markings on Baobabs, little campsite areas, as well as vineyards next to larger former habitations. It ends with them contemplating the things they've discovered and lamenting what they haven't (namely, the reason for the rising of the sea) and then making yet another pivotal decision to alter their plans of crossing the river to further explore the coast and heading towards the mountains instead. It would be comprised of the Seventh Journey Period, the "Wow" Baobab period, Vineyard period, Questioning the Quest at the Abandoned Habitation, and Megan's Quest (concluding the era almost like an epilogue to the period before it).

Finally, while we don't know how long they'll be in the mountains, it looks like they will be for some time (especially since they are "farther away than they looked"). Regardless of how long, it is clear that this is distinctly another major shift for them (perhaps the biggest yet, actually) and thus I propose that the current period (thus far referred to as the "Eighth Journey Period") is in fact the first period of a fourth era within the Journey Eon. Don't yet know what this Era will be called, but that will probably reveal itself to us in Time (my money is on the "Mountain Era" if those prove to be the unifying defining feature, but there could be some plot curve-balls coming our way, so we shouldn't rush to name it yet).

So, to all of you who actually took the time to read all of that... what do you think? Any thoughts, complaints, comments, compliments, complements, questions, or animadversions? If I don't hear any major dissensions against the idea over the next few newpix, then I'll go ahead and reorganize the wiki accordingly.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu May 30, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
jovialbard wrote:Are the knights temporal still around? I thought they were meant to protect the sand castle or some such... but then, I've barely even been lurking for a few hundred new-pages, so maybe their mission statement has changed, or maybe I'm confusing them with a different order...

Oh, we're still around. Our task is to protect the OTC as long as nobody actually asks us to do anything.

If you protect the OTC as long as nobody asks you to do anything, then if I ask you to do something will you stop protecting the OTC? If I ask you all to do something will the knights temporal be abolished, lost in Time forever???
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Thu May 30, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
ttscp wrote:We are articulate, intelligent, creative, xkcd followers.

I aren't not! I aren't not articulate!

This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from the comedian Steve Martin:

"Some people have a way with words, and some people no have way."
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

akacat

Re: 1190: "Time" and this Tribe

Postby akacat » Thu May 30, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:<snip>We are not an army, but a Tribe.

I love that. (Is 50 old enough to be an elder? Maybe I could be a semi-elder. I guarantee I'm a curmudgeon, and I can provide references.)

HAL9000 wrote:Once the OTC ends and we've said all that can be said about it (that may take quite some time, though we will probably have to be more careful to stay on-topic after we stop receiving newpix), I'll be starting a thread in the General subforum, assuming nobody beats me to it.

Ooh, if/when that happens can we call ourselves VOTTs? (Veterans of the One True Thread) Or maybe VEW would be better. (Veterans of the Era of Waiting.)

Qalyar wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
pachinkoid wrote:tribe^H^H^H^H^Hgranfalloon

ftfy.

This sorta thing is highly confusing to me. what does ^H^H^H^H^H mean?

^H is the ASCII control code for backspace.

In the olden days of BBSs and 300 baud modems, the denizens of one BBS I frequented took advantage of ^H to do something we called break-typing. /old-fogey moment.

Sciscitor wrote:Update from my new project: It did not turn out just as I imagined it, but due to Outside restrictions I will have to leave it at that for some Time now. There are some avatars missing and some are stale, and I am not entirely content with the way some of them are scaled. However, those without an avatar are mentioned in randomly coloured rectangles, their name spelled out in xkcd font.
As it became my custom with such images, there is a huge version of them as well.

If someone wants to turn this thing into a clickable map, I could provide any image size and a corresponding JSON dataset with coordinates, names and/or user ids.

On another note: Looks like I would be the one who paints the walls of the caves, depicting the life and history of the tribe...

I love this! Ok, I'm off to find my name on it. Be back in a few NPs... Or nps.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 30, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

thirds wrote:This is my prediction for the next ONG:

<futureONG>
<snip>
</futureONG>

I think it will be much more like this.
Spoiler:
couldbewrONG.png
couldbewrONG.png (9.76 KiB) Viewed 15182 times

kenmelken wrote:Update on my wiki-Quest (with some matters I need feedback from the community before proceeding):
<snip>
So, to all of you who actually took the time to read all of that... what do you think? Any thoughts, complaints, comments, compliments, complements, questions, or animadversions? If I don't hear any major dissensions against the idea over the next few newpix, then I'll go ahead and reorganize the wiki accordingly.

Makes sense to me.
Edit, to remove reference to missing file.
Last edited by SBN on Thu May 30, 2013 9:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu May 30, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

Firstly: (Warning: Cheesy Power Metal)

RIDE!
To the far away mountains...
FIGHT!
Many raptors and molps...
QUEST!
For the source of the river,
To find the reason the sea rises up!

Secondly, a laal bit o' ketchup...
Angelastic wrote:<snip>
:arrow:It's ALL related. Well hey, yappobiscuits's band (is it a band or is it just yappo and some magic? Yappo and the Biscuits!) has even covered a song by the band Paul used to be in; I don't even have to go James Burke on this.:idea:

Yeah, not a band, just yappo and some magic! (If being a multi-instrumentalist + multitracking = magic...) But I like that, Yappo and the Biscuits... that'll have to be the name I use for the album of OTT/OTC songs I'll inevitably produce eventually ;)

Sciscitor wrote:Update from my new project: It did not turn out just as I imagined it, but due to Outside restrictions I will have to leave it at that for some Time now. There are some avatars missing and some are stale, and I am not entirely content with the way some of them are scaled. However, those without an avatar are mentioned in randomly coloured rectangles, their name spelled out in xkcd font.
Spoiler:
As it became my custom with such images, there is a huge version of them as well.

If someone wants to turn this thing into a clickable map, I could provide any image size and a corresponding JSON dataset with coordinates, names and/or user ids.

On another note: Looks like I would be the one who paints the walls of the caves, depicting the life and history of the tribe...

Very cool! Or indeed, 7, 4.
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Thu May 30, 2013 9:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 30, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Update on my wiki-Quest (with some matters I need feedback from the community before proceeding):

Yesterday I finally actually got an account on wikia! Now my edits aren't anonymous like they always have been before!

Anyway, onto important things:

Spoiler:
First, I'd like to make a slight adjustment to the "Hills Period," by making its starting point frame 1221 instead of 1229. Frankly, it just makes a lot more sense. 1220 is their last frame at the side of the river, where they decide to break off and head into the hills, the first landscape profile frame of which is 1221, even though at that point the ascent is more gradual than the more pronounced appearance in 1229. Any objections to slightly adjusting that beginning frame number?

Second, I brought up before the idea of breaking down the Journey Eon into multiple eras, like the Sandcastle Eon was. Right now, it is all grouped in one "Journey Era" within its eponymous eon. And yet, there have definitely been some major shifting points in the story and their geographical progress. This also will help keep things more organized like the Sandcastle Eon was. I propose breaking down what has happened so far in the Journey Eon into 3 eras (and the beginning of a fourth), as follows:

First, the Shoreline Era, comprising the First Journey Period, Fake Loop, Second Journey Period, River Period, Third Journey Period, Second River Period, and Fourth Journey Period. These periods essentially mark the first stage of their journey as they travel along the coast of the sea and then along the edge of the river. This era ends with them deciding to leave the river and progress through the hills and meet up later, marking their first adaptation of their plans as they learn more about this part of their world.

Thus, the next era, which I don't have any better name for than the Hills and Forest Era (suggestions?), would follow the next stage of their journey as the leave behind the river for a while to make their shortcut through the hills and forest. This era would comprise the Hills Period, Fifth Journey Period, Tree Period, Cueball's Quest, Sixth Journey Period, and ending with the Third River Period, where they rejoin with the river and discuss what they've learned so far and even consider settling in the area, a fitting conclusion to an era marked by beautiful new terrain. Cueball's discovery on his quest of signs of former habitation is also a nice foreshadowing of the dominant theme of the NEXT era, namely...

The Discovery Era. This era is defined geographically by their rejoining the river again and following alongside it, but more importantly it is defined thematically by their increasing awareness and knowledge of the diverse flora and fauna molpies of their world, as well as the former presence of other people. All throughout this period they are finding markings on Baobabs, little campsite areas, as well as vineyards next to larger former habitations. It ends with them contemplating the things they've discovered and lamenting what they haven't (namely, the reason for the rising of the sea) and then making yet another pivotal decision to alter their plans of crossing the river to further explore the coast and heading towards the mountains instead. It would be comprised of the Seventh Journey Period, the "Wow" Baobab period, Vineyard period, Questioning the Quest at the Abandoned Habitation, and Megan's Quest (concluding the era almost like an epilogue to the period before it).

Finally, while we don't know how long they'll be in the mountains, it looks like they will be for some time (especially since they are "farther away than they looked"). Regardless of how long, it is clear that this is distinctly another major shift for them (perhaps the biggest yet, actually) and thus I propose that the current period (thus far referred to as the "Eighth Journey Period") is in fact the first period of a fourth era within the Journey Eon. Don't yet know what this Era will be called, but that will probably reveal itself to us in Time (my money is on the "Mountain Era" if those prove to be the unifying defining feature, but there could be some plot curve-balls coming our way, so we shouldn't rush to name it yet).

Sounds like a great way to re-organize the Eon's/Era's/Molpy ... wait scratch the Molpy part... But yes it sounds well thought out and a good way to cauterize the past Newpix.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

thirds

Postby thirds » Thu May 30, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

<futureONG>
<snip>
</futureONG>

Spoiler:
couldbewrONG.png

That's impossible.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Thu May 30, 2013 9:49 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Update from my new project:
Spoiler:
It did not turn out just as I imagined it, but due to Outside restrictions I will have to leave it at that for some Time now. There are some avatars missing and some are stale, and I am not entirely content with the way some of them are scaled. However, those without an avatar are mentioned in randomly coloured rectangles, their name spelled out in xkcd font.

This is WAY cool!

Unfortunately, I didn't find myself in there. If the size of the image is proportionate to the number of posts, I expected to find myself somewhere around the sixth column or row. Either my vision isn't very good (which is a distinct possibility) or I'm one of the missing avatars you were referring to. I saw a couple of blank boxes that didn't have a name in them. . .one of those could be me. Oh, well. That doesn't take away from the fact that this is an awesome piece of work!
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Thu May 30, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

thirds wrote:
SBN wrote:

<futureONG>
<snip>
</futureONG>

Spoiler:
couldbewrONG.png

That's impossible.

SBN is your father?

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Thu May 30, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

Qalyar wrote:
thirds wrote:That's impossible.

SBN is your father?

Now that's impossible.

Some Ways to Time

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Both predictions were wrONG, but thirds was closer.

Streak: 1
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

thirds

Postby thirds » Thu May 30, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

Qalyar wrote:
thirds wrote:
SBN wrote:

<futureONG>
<snip>
</futureONG>

Spoiler:
couldbewrONG.png

That's impossible.

SBN is your father?

*reactor-shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaft*

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 30, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:<Lots of wikiosity>

I'd say go for it! :D You appear to have a good idea of what you're doing, and since we lost our former wikimaster patzer to the OtherThreads the Eras/Periods section has fallen into a bit of disrepairS.

S sad
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu May 30, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Valarya wrote:Not only do I love the newpixbot, but I love the molpy hunter, too! molpies and pixbots and mscha's oh my. 8-)
Awww.... Image
How could I refuse you, after all that?
It's a tricky one, since the only thing that properly matches is the hat. Still, it turned out pretty nicely, I'd say.
Spoiler:

It absolutely turned out nicely! Thanks, molpy-hunter cutie. Image

ps. everything i said was true.

Spoiler:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 30, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:By the way, I have another question/proposal for the community. Last night I proposed naming the period between the Vineyard Period and Megan's Quest, "The Decision Period." It was seconded and not objected to, but I'm about to make that page and beginning to think I don't like that name much anymore (even though I proposed it). Mostly, it isn't the first decision point they've had, even if a significant one. Also, most of the other periods in the Journey Eon have been named according to either their generic journeying segment number or the notable geographic features. Thus, I'm thinking about naming it something like the "Abandoned Campsite Period" instead, as that is where they are for during those frames. But then, it occurred to me that if the former residents had built a whole vineyard adjacent, it probably wasn't just a campsite, but a more long-term site of residence. So, what about the "Abandoned Habitation Period" as its name? Any other thoughts?

How about "Deserted Diner" as in The Invaders tv show.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
kenmelken wrote:<Lots of wikiosity>

I'd say go for it! :D You appear to have a good idea of what you're doing, and since we lost our former wikimaster patzer to the OtherThreads the Eras/Periods section has fallen into a bit of disrepairS.

S sad

To his credit, wikimaster patzer is still rather active on the wiki and has done lots of maintenance there over the last several dix at the same time I have. He's been adding lots of crucial little interest articles, including very current ones such as the ongoing Cassinite Heresy discussion. He may not be posting here much lately, but he is certainly still present and paying attention to the most recent happenings.

Unrelated to my wiki quest:

I know that a number of you are proclaimed Daft Punk fans. Have any of you heard the new album that just came out two wix ago? It included a track that seems like it was made for the OTT/OTC. In the spoiler are the complete lyrics to Daft Punk's new "Fragments of Time" which I haven't altered or parodied at all! (I'm actually kind surprised nobody else has posted this yet). I've bolded lyrics which especially seem relevant.

Spoiler:
Driving this road down to paradise,
Letting the sunlight into my eyes
Our only plan is to improvise
And it's crystal clear that I don't ever want it to end
If I had my way, I would never leave

Keep holding these random memories
Turning our days into melodies
But since I can't stay...

I'll just keep playing back
These fragments of time
Everywhere I go, this moment'll shine
These fragments of time

Familiar faces I've never seen
Living the gold and the silver dream
Making me feel like I'm 17

These fragments of time
These fragments of time

These fragments of time
Everywhere I go, this moment will shine
These fragments of time
This moment'll shine

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu May 30, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:I know that a number of you are proclaimed Daft Punk fans. Have any of you heard the new album that just came out two wix ago? It included a track that seems like it was made for the OTT/OTC. In the spoiler are the complete lyrics to Daft Punk's new "Fragments of Time" which I haven't altered or parodied at all! (I'm actually kind surprised nobody else has posted this yet). I've bolded lyrics which especially seem relevant.

Spoiler:

These fragments of time
These fragments of time

These fragments of time
These fragments of time

These fragments of time
These fragments of time
This moment'll shine

Eerily appropriate O.o
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

edfel

Postby edfel » Thu May 30, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

(blindpost)
Hi guys!
After spending the evening making a brand new feature to upload next to the map, I just realized that the site was down :evil: :evil: ... It's supposed to come back at the beginning of next month, I just hope it will. (And that the diet was sufficient enough to last whole months now....)
The new feature [which you should see soon] is about visualizing eons/eras/periods (from cartographer I move to apprentice historian)... I haven't integrated all periods from the wiki yet, but it's great that some people are getting to update it :)
take care Of The Thread, y'all!
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

edfel wrote:(from cartographer I move to apprentice historian)

Well, a lot of us are branching out. I've tried my hand at millinery twice now, for example. And someone other than azule posted the last panorama.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 30, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

ergman wrote:Regarding the tarrot card project (One true deck?)
I did post one of the mating molpyflies as the lovers, but It doesn't fit in with the list. I hope to do some more once my summer break has started.

And regarding posts that get responded to, I think that more than people not seeing them, people just didn't have anything to reply. I'd rather no replies to forced, empty ones. Then we would ruin our fabulous information per post ratio!

And third, minim apparently became multypope. Multypope!

I just assume people are laughing too hard to be capable of using a keyboard when there is no response to my posts. When you have to make up an explanation you may as well make it as flattering as you can.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 30, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
kenmelken wrote:I know that a number of you are proclaimed Daft Punk fans. Have any of you heard the new album that just came out two wix ago? It included a track that seems like it was made for the OTT/OTC. In the spoiler are the complete lyrics to Daft Punk's new "Fragments of Time" which I haven't altered or parodied at all! (I'm actually kind surprised nobody else has posted this yet). I've bolded lyrics which especially seem relevant.

Spoiler:

These fragments of time
These fragments of time

These fragments of time
These fragments of time

These fragments of time
These fragments of time
This moment'll shine

Eerily appropriate O.o

I heard a rumor that it was a "last second" add in, as in they tacked it on the middle of last month...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Thu May 30, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Flado wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Vytron and other Blitzers:
Keep posting! We want to hear from you!

Yeah, well, since so many of you futurefolk insist, here it is:
[post] JavaScript!?
May I have a hat now, please?
My progress is in my location.
There. [/post]

This is getting a little angry-sounding. Maybe we should just take the sigcouragements out of our signatures and let them do their own thing? If they choose to leave, it's not something that should weigh on our consciences, regardless of what reasons they give.

Let's beat that dead horse a bit more, shall we? ;-)
As an involuntary blitzer (in passing, greetings to any car drivers in Germany ;-) ), I have this to say on the subject: long discussions about Netiquette, which I'll have to read through and through two wips later, are not helpful. But they don't anger me. If I was angry-sounding, that could've been because people asked me (not personally, but still) to add to the burden of unread posts myself, but I doubt it. First, I'm narcissistic enough to enjoy reading my own posts 15 xips later, and second, I got a BuffyHat out of it, just in time for ucim's ceremony. So, no worries, eh?
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 30, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Dark(ish) thought: What if the active users we've lost found the OTT too much of a time vortex and decided to follow the comic but not the thread, and make their own interpretations?

you mean like come up with ideas, imagine the surroundings, estimate heights and distances, ponder the meaning of the dialogue, name the flora and fauna and speculate on the future all on their own???
Sounds lonely.

I received an invitation in pm to join an alt thread to discuss Time "away from all these loonies".

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 30, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
mscha wrote:
Valarya wrote:Not only do I love the newpixbot, but I love the molpy hunter, too! molpies and pixbots and mscha's oh my. 8-)
Awww.... Image
How could I refuse you, after all that?
It's a tricky one, since the only thing that properly matches is the hat. Still, it turned out pretty nicely, I'd say.
Spoiler:

It absolutely turned out nicely! Thanks, molpy-hunter cutie. Image

ps. everything i said was true.

Spoiler:

Okay, as the unofficial official OTT cupid, I'm now calling the first official unofficial OTT threesome: ValaryaImagemschaImagenewpixbot.

Or wait, maybe it should be thirds:
Spoiler:
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

The journey since turning north...
intothemountains.png
Go Minim go!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu May 30, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Spoiler:

These fragments of time
These fragments of time

These fragments of time
These fragments of time

These fragments of time
These fragments of time
This moment'll shine

If anyone comes looking for me (and I do not see why anyone would, at this time), I'll be in my corner in the back of the cave, contemplating the ineffableness of the Creator of Time, philosophizing, and checking out the new Daft Punk album. *puts on over-sized headphones*

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 30, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

doctorray wrote:Hello all, my first reply to this thread, but I've been lurking since the beginning. I don't read every newpage though (sorry!). I really love all the stuff you guys have done. I'm wondering if OTC will end with a meetup or if it will go on forever... XKCD meetups are fun, I went to the one in San Francisco that was decoded from the XKCD Vol 0 book a couple years ago. Someone brought xkcd boom de yada cupcakes!

Anyway, carry on! have fun!

edit: because this was my FP ever it got delayed for mod approval which was, oh, about 3 newpages. So will anyone see it ever?? Oh well. :)

Flinging a first timer forwards

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
fhorn wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Dark(ish) thought: What if the active users we've lost found the OTT too much of a time vortex and decided to follow the comic but not the thread, and make their own interpretations?

you mean like come up with ideas, imagine the surroundings, estimate heights and distances, ponder the meaning of the dialogue, name the flora and fauna and speculate on the future all on their own???
Sounds lonely.

I received an invitation in pm to join an alt thread to discuss Time "away from all these loonies".

From the "Individual XKCD Comic Threads" rules:
Each comic is correctly numbered, and all duplicates are removed...
Starting a thread for anything other than a new comic is pointless; it will get deleted.

I think they're not exactly allowed to do that. I assume you're staying here with us?
Zorin_75 wrote:The journey since turning north...
intothemountains.png

This is great! Keep it up with the panoramas! You don't need to update too often, though. Once every 10-20 newpix is plenty. (not telling you to slow it down, but don't feel required to be constantly updating)

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 30, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:I received an invitation in pm to join an alt thread to discuss Time "away from all these loonies".

:lol: Is it here in the xkcd fora somewhere?

not that I want to instigate a Crusade or anything I'm just curious really I am
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Streak: 1

BrokONG
Also:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Exodies wrote:I received an invitation in pm to join an alt thread to discuss Time "away from all these loonies".

:lol: Is it here in the xkcd fora somewhere?

Duplicate comic threads are removed, so most likely not. I wonder if that's where some of our missing users are, and they haven't told us because they don't want us to feel bad.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 30, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:The journey since turning north...
intothemountains.png

One word: Neat.
Oh and thanks. That is another word I know.

Edit: That is also another word that I know.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”