1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

yappobiscuits

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri May 31, 2013 5:40 am UTC

slinches wrote:Speaking of cheesy power metal ...

My Spirit Will Wait On
Spoiler:
(to the tune of "My Spirit Will Go On" by Dragonforce.)

Time is a mistery, don't know what will come to be
Waiting, the epitome of all of our days
In the thread we have a choice to hear or to be the voice
Close your eyes and visualize the seas as they rise

You know that sanity is not as it was meant to be
And now, released from coma, we await the next Timeframe
In the land of a thousand posts we will blitz on through again
In the thread we will move along through memories laid plain
When I see this humanity and tree-ness that they have come to be
We've come to the point of no return and you wait for just...

One more time to be part of all this madness
One more time to contribute to all this gladness
And one last time to be the one who understands
My soul and my spirit will wait on, for all of eternity

Foreign the currency, your payment in cake to be
IT is the destiny of all of our wait
In the dark you hide away for who or what you can't say
When I see the power of the comic come alive

On the wings of molpy-raptors staring into the sun
Reaching for the next horizon when the climb shall be done
Can you see the creativity and the great new graph that was made for thee
With posts so fervent, forever more you will wait for just...

One more time to be part of all this madness...

Hah, awesome!

And on that power metally note, this waterottermolpy must coma.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 31, 2013 5:40 am UTC

ucim wrote:<snip>
The object of education, fundamentally, isn't to "get the right answer" or to "make more money" or to "get a better job". It is to "enable yourself to enjoy life to the fullest", and that comes from a deep understanding of all life has to offer.
Jose

I think you'll find the point of education is to create the workforce needed to generate the revenue to pay pensions to baby boomers. And as such, it has had or shortly will have all the joy ripped out of it.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 31, 2013 5:42 am UTC

Woo it's like a concert in here tonight! Nice one, slinches!

Here is the snakebee gif:

Spoiler:
Snakebee.gif
Looks like Cuegan might be surprised when they try to climb this ledge...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Arky

Postby Arky » Fri May 31, 2013 5:43 am UTC

I happened to re-read the OTR's blog post on the dictionary of numbers plug-in from earlier this Outsider May and couldn't help but think it would be terrific to have a browser plug-in which automatically footnoted things the same way for followers of the OTC.

E.g. whereas the Dictionary of Numbers will see "22 million" and put inline that that 22 million [≈ the population of Australia], this plug-in would see a mention of mountains and put inline that they are 5.

5: Neat.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 31, 2013 5:48 am UTC

slinches wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Firstly: (Warning: Cheesy Power Metal)

RIDE!
To the far away mountains...
FIGHT!
Many raptors and molps...
QUEST!
For the source of the river,
To find the reason the sea rises up!

Speaking of cheesy power metal ...

My Spirit Will Wait On
Spoiler:
(to the tune of "My Spirit Will Go On" by Dragonforce.)

Time is a mistery, don't know what will come to be
Waiting, the epitome of all of our days
In the thread we have a choice to hear or to be the voice
Close your eyes and visualize the seas as they rise

In the land of a thousand posts we will blitz on through again
In the thread we will move along through memories laid plain
When I see this humanity and tree-ness that they have come to be
We've come to the point of no return and you wait for just...

One more time to be part of all this madness
One more time to contribute to all this gladness
And one last time to be the one who understands
My soul and my spirit will wait on, for all of eternity

Foreign the currency, your payment in cake to be
IT is the destiny of all of our wait
In the dark you hide away for who or what you can't say
When I see the power of the comic come alive

On the wings of molpy-raptors staring into the sun
Reaching for the next horizon when the climb shall be done
Can you see the creativity and the great new graph that was made for thee
With posts so fervent, forever more you will wait for just...

One more time to be part of all this madness...

With you, yappo, StratPlayer, BlitzGirl, and all the other song writers, filk writers and other poets around pouring out this grand and glorious noise, I sometimes wonder why I even try to make a verse.

Is the original on You-Tube, or something? When I don't know a song (or it's been a while like "Waiting for the ONG" {"Waiting for The Man"}) I like to have it playing while going over the lyrics.

(Now all we need is an OTC version of "Banned From Argo". or do we already have one?)
Last edited by pelrigg on Fri May 31, 2013 5:50 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Fri May 31, 2013 5:49 am UTC

(blindposting a bit, I hope this hasn't been done)

k.bookbinder wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:I've discovered that we on this thread are a Tribe. Perhaps it needs a name, though Time Waiters is a pretty good one. This thread is our cave, where we meet to share experiences. Members come and go, but maintain a connection to the Tribe. There is an US and a THEM, though we aren't exclusionary. But definitely an US.

Different members have different roles in the tribe. I'm one of the "elders of the tribe". No, not one of the leaders, my post count is far too low for that. One of the elders. The elders in a tribe are valuable because they are the ones that haven't been eaten by the saber-toothed molpys for the longest amount of time. Most roles in a tribe are earned, but you get to be an elder just by living a long time and seeing a lot of stuff, some of which works and some of which doesn't. So there is no special honor in being an elder, though viejo is used in Spanish as a term of honor as well as endearment (viejo/vieja = old man/old woman)

Some of our leaders are quite young, in fact, but have earned their place. Leaders set the tone and the direction of the advancement of the Tribe. Even young HAL9000 (may his presentation have gone well) has taken a leadership role at times. But the elders are old. Stands to reason.

People are free to leave, but few do. When not seen for a while, the others ask about/worry about them. Often they return and we rejoice.

Members of other tribes don't always understand. My wife is a bit mystified by all this.

We are not an army, but a Tribe. We share a culture. We extend that culture. The old ones (like myself) often offer advice to the young, as is good and proper. The leaders, like buffygirl, keep us unified (i.e. hatted). The advice of the old isn't always taken, as is also proper, as the young need, ultimately, to find their own way.

It is even possible that if Time ended that the Tribe would find a way to live on. It is even possible that GLR guides the Tribe by listening to what is here and providing direction via the OTC.

Since elders don't, typically, hunt anymore (leaving the pursuit of molpys to others) we are free to philosophize. Some of what we know is garbage. So, some of what we say is garbage. We (the elders) hope you understand. Sometimes we try to be funny/endearing so you don't throw us out. Sometimes we try to give serious important advice. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it is garbage. We hope you understand and continue to offer cake.

Chocolate.

Chocolate Cake.
Hmmm. Yes. That is the essence.

To use Charlie_grumbles' metaphor, I have emerged from the back of the cave, where I have been lurking these past newpix, to give my consent to this sentiment. And with that, I shall return to the back of the cave to contemplate the meaning of the OTC and the ineffable will of GLR, the Creator of Time, and continue to wait for it. <snip>

Oh my Randall, IT ALL MAKES SENSE! Plato foresaw Time! Shadows on the wall of the cave! Image

Hm. Shadows on the wall of the cave. Like the shadows Cuegan were making whilst ascending? Does that suggest that they are in some kind of Flatland, on the surface of the cave?

No, it suggests they're in a webcomic where it's ALL related.

But how can you be sure? You're not even a meat-brain. You're more susceptible than the rest of us. What if this is just an embedded simulacrum that you're running? :shock:

I think I'm better off in the back of the cave for a while longer. Where did I leave that stash of M&Ms. They should be really good and stale by now.

What if HAL's program is running in a...

( ∙_∙)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

sandbox?

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 31, 2013 6:02 am UTC

Another sip another Ong

Edit
molpy-snake still waitng
Last edited by pelrigg on Fri May 31, 2013 6:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 31, 2013 6:03 am UTC

Chapter 8
Vytron's long-awaited arrival into the present was the most momentous thing to happen since BlitzGirl herself tumbled out of the time vortex. That it happened right in the midst of the Great Trees was an omen that did not go unnoticed by anybody; clerics, scribes, or ordinary timewaiters alike. You could not go a single q-length and not bump into somebody who offered their latest theory, or asked for your own thoughts on the matter. Actual thoughts, of course, were in short supply, but that did not hinder the discussion in the slightest. The non-stop discussion however did slow down the preparations for the canonization ceremony, but that was alright. Everybody was accustomed to waiting for it.

Finally, on the third day, all was ready. It was a glorious afternoon; the sun's rays filtering through the Great Trees, majestic against the sky's brilliant blue backdrop. A makeshift stage had been erected right near the tree where Vytron had appeared, and the Pope ascended the steps and strode across the stage to the podium. Looking over to the herald stationed at the next tree over, the Pope gave the signal, and the herald began to climb the tree, so as to blow the ram's horn from the very top branches and announce to the world the canonization of another BlitzGirl the Next.

He did not get very far.
Spoiler:
These trees are big. Really big. Big enough to make the sea jealous, and that is never a good thing, but the trees seem to have done well enough, so they must know what they are doing. In any case, climbing them in ceremonial heraldic garb turned out to be rather challenging.

When the herald saw the Pope's signal, he started to sprint towards the tree, his green robes flowing in the wake, and as he reached the trunk, he leapt up high and grabbed the trunk with his arms. Since the trunk was about three times wider than his arms could reach, this attempt ended, shall we say, in an undignified manner. Uninjured, but slightly smarter, he got up off the ground and took off his sandals. Next, he stuck his fingers and toes into little indentations in the trunk to gain some purchase. By holding tightly, he managed to support himself on the trunk, and slowly began to climb the tree. First the left foot found another little crevice, and he squeezed his toes into it while hanging onto the tree with his other foot and hands. Lifting himself up a bit, he felt around with his other foot until he could find a nook that would accommodate his big toe. This was made more difficult by the hem of his robe, which insisted in placing itself between his toes and the tree, but he finally made direct contact and planted his other foot firmly in the trunk. Now he would have to move his hands, and one at a time, he found new finger-holes and pulled himself up the trunk a bit more.

He looked over at the Pope. There was no reaction; the Pope was also used to waiting for it. So, onward he went. Another foot, another hand, another nook that the garments wanted more badly than his toes, and another little bit of height gained. He looked down. He was now as high as, well, let's just say a small child could have tickled his feet. He looked up. This was going to be a long climb!

At that point the bark he was holding with his left hand broke off, and he tumbled to the ground, with about the same amount of dignity as when he smashed into the tree the first time. Team work was called for, so he gathered ten of the nearby timewaiters, and bid them join hands to make a ring around the tree, just barely wider than the tree itself was. He climbed on the shoulders of the nearest timewaiter, and then... he didn't quite know what to do after that.

"I see Paris, I see France..." chimed one of the crowd, who was looking right up at him as his robes swayed in the breeze.

The timewaiter upon whose shoulders he was standing had a suggestion for him. "Why don't you just go to the top of the hill. It's plenty high, and you have less of a chance of plummeting 20 q to your humorous demise. The herald did not think his demise was all that funny, but decided that the timewaiter had a good point.

"Come, and listen! I shall Herald from the Highest Hill!" he shouted, as he leapt down from the weary shoulders that had borne him and began a procession up the hill. "Come and listen! He shall Herald from the Highest Hill!" they all chanted, and in a few moments they had reached the crest, whereupon he blew the ram's horn, which echoed across the land.

With that signal, the Pope, in the Valley of the Great Trees below, began his proclamation:

"We are here, indeed, we have all been drawn here, to commemorate, canonize, and celebrate the arrival of Vytron, our newest and most awaited BlitzGirl the Next since BlitzGirl herself. Back when there wasn't even the eighth binary power of Time, Vytron forsook the comforts of that Present and undertook a Holy Quest, starting at the Beginning of Time, and travelling through all the newpages of Time, so that he could Wait for It in the Proper Manner. This is a quest to which few are called, but upon whom Glories Unimaginable are bestowed. During this Glorious Pilgrimage, three times as much Time as there was Time at the time he vanished from Time to go to the Beginning of Time, passed. Many were the trials and tribulations that he did experience, and he is here with us now, himself Enriched Beyond Measure, and having enriched us all through his Glorious Deed."

"Vytron, arise and kneel".

Vytron stepped forward from the crowd, clothed in an animated avatar that obscures the fact that he has a slight limp. The First Cleric did not miss this however. He rushed over to the Pope and whispered "His foot! His foot!", but the Pope paid him no heed. The second scribe goes up to the First Cleric and puts her arm around him. "It's ok, he just has a limp". The First Cleric looked at her as she smiled back at him - she could charm the skin off a snake! She said "Just a limp. He'll put some catsup on it tonight and it will be fine." and the First Cleric walked back with her to the side of the stage as Vytron reached the center and knelt before the Pope.

The Pope raised his hand above Vytron and proclaimed, in a voice that could cross the sea, "Vytron, in honor of your having completed a most Awesome BlitzQuest, and having kept your dedication true throughout all of the tests of faith that you faced, by the power vested in me as the Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction, and in witness of your Most Auspicious Arrival in the Valley of the Great Trees, do I hereby consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title BlitzGirl the Next, that it be known for all Time, and for all of time, that you have truly and properly Waited for It. And furthermore do I consecrate the Gospel of Vytron, a True and Holy Record of your Quest both in text form and in Glorious Graphics, to be counted among the Holy Books alongside the Gospel of BlitzGirl, and alongside all of the other Gospels before and to come, that it provide inspiration to all who follow, and indeed to all Timewaiters, for all Time, and for all of time."

With that, the ram's horn sounded again, and the crowd burst into cheering as all the Timewaiters waved banners in curvy fashions, so as to avoid the risk of rectilinear assumptions, whence raptors may appear. Vytron rose, and carefully descended the stairs to the waiting crowd. The Pope stood on the dais a moment, taking in the valley full of timewaiters, and the second scribe joined him momentarily. "There is not much time left", said the Pope to the second scribe.

"More are coming", replied the second scribe, "but not here."

"Tonight we shall be off", said the Pope. "Just as soon as we have finished celebrating."

The second scribe contemplated this, as the Pope went off to find some cupcakes and berries. Travel by night was perilous, but if they waited until daybreak, the Pope would never get away. She scurried off to find the Holy Catographer. That map thing could be useful.
Jose
<--previous (NP 699) / table of contents (on xkcd wiki) / -->next (NP 762)
Last edited by ucim on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:15 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 31, 2013 6:10 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Still Waiting
Adapted from Still Alive by Jonathon Coulton
Spoiler:
This was a triumph
We're making a thing here: Sandcastles
It's hard to overestimate their size1
Let's add some flags2
We'll do what we want because we can
For the good of both of us
'Cause we're the only ones here!

But there's no sense trying3 to quench every flame
You just keep on Waiting 'till you run out of frames
And the newpix get dONG
and the comic is lONG
for the people who are
Still waiting

I'm not even angry
I'm being so sincere right now
Even though the sea rose up and broke it
And tore it to pieces
And dissolved every piece into the tide
as they went we walked away
because it does what it wants

Now these rocky mountains
make a difficult climb
when we're out of water
we won't have much more time
but I'm glad the tide turned
look at all the stuff we've learned
and despite this we are
Still Waiting

Go ahead and leave here
The molpies prefer to lurk and hide
Maybe we'll find something in the hills4
Maybe a person
That's not likely, ha ha, fat chance
Anyway, these grapes are great
they're so delicious and moist

Look at us still talking, exploration to do
When we look out there
There's so much left yet brand new
We'll explore, oh what fun
There is research to be done
For the people who are
Still Waiting

And believe me, I am Still Waiting
I'm drawing pictures and I'm Still Waiting
I feel fantastic and I'm Still Waiting
And while you're outside I'll be Still Waiting
And when you're in bed5 I'll be Still Waiting
Still Waiting

Still Waiting....

I sort of switched between the perspective of a TimeWaiter and Megball to make it work, but it kind of fits the schizo nature of the original song :lol:
Also thanks pelrigg for the heads up about the link. I fixed it, though you could probably find it fine on your own.
Pretty good but I have some footnotes:
1234These spots could do with an extra syllable to flow better.
5How about "And while you coma"?
k.bookbinder wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:My ketchup gimmicks are getting too elaborate...a whole newpage was formed while I was making this!
Spoiler:

Wow, that's actually very mesmerising and it's hard to take my eyes off it! Also I like how it bounces to the rhythm of the words "ketchup time", was that intentional?

I think I had a vision, quite very nearly almost similar to this image, while I was in the back of the cave, contemplating, etc. and listening to Daft Punk's RAM! :shock: Perhaps a sign of some sort :?:

Or maybe I should have laid off the stale M&Ms that were stashed back there. A few of them tasted a bit...funny Image
Yes it's a sign A sign that...

wait for it...
It's all connected!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 31, 2013 6:20 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Chapter 8
Spoiler:
Vytron's long-awaited arrival into the present was the most momentous thing to happen since BlitzGirl herself tumbled out of the time vortex. That it happened right in the midst of the Great Trees was an omen that did not go unnoticed by anybody; clerics, scribes, or ordinary timewaiters alike. You could not go a single q-length and not bump into somebody who offered their latest theory, or asked for your own thoughts on the matter. Actual thoughts, of course, were in short supply, but that did not hinder the discussion in the slightest. The non-stop discussion however did slow down the preparations for the canonization ceremony, but that was alright. Everybody was accustomed to waiting for it.

Finally, on the third day, all was ready. It was a glorious afternoon; the sun's rays filtering through the Great Trees, majestic against the sky's brilliant blue backdrop. A makeshift stage had been erected right near the tree where Vytron had appeared, and the Pope ascended the steps and strode across the stage to the podium. Looking over to the herald stationed at the next tree over, the Pope gave the signal, and the herald began to climb the tree, so as to blow the ram's horn from the very top branches and announce to the world the canonization of another BlitzGirl the Next.

He did not get very far.These trees are big. Really big. Big enough to make the sea jealous, and that is never a good thing, but the trees seem to have done well enough, so they must know what they are doing. In any case, climbing them in ceremonial heraldic garb turned out to be rather challenging.

When the herald saw the Pope's signal, he started to sprint towards the tree, his green robes flowing in the wake, and as he reached the trunk, he leapt up high and grabbed the trunk with his arms. Since the trunk was about three times wider than his arms could reach, this attempt ended, shall we say, in an undignified manner. Uninjured, but slightly smarter, he got up off the ground and took off his sandals Next, he stuck his fingers and toes into little indentations in the trunk to gain some purchase. By holding tightly, he managed to support himself on the trunk, and slowly began to climb the tree. First the left foot found another little crevice, and he squeezed his toes into it while hanging onto the tree with his other foot and hands. Lifting himself up a bit, he felt around with his other foot until he could find a nook that would accommodate his big toe. This was made more difficult by the hem of his robe, which insisted in placing itself between his toes and the tree, but he finally made direct contact and planted his other foot firmly in the trunk. Now he would have to move his hands, and one at a time, he found new finger-holes and pulled himself up the trunk a bit more.

He looked over at the Pope. There was no reaction; the Pope was also used to waiting for it. So, onward he went. Another foot, another hand, another nook that the garments wanted more badly than his toes, and another little bit of height gained. He looked down. He was now as high as, well, let's just say a small child could have tickled his feet. He looked up. This was going to be a long climb!

At that point the bark he was holding with his left hand broke off, and he tumbled to the ground, with about the same amount of dignity as when he smashed into the tree the first time. Team work was called for, so he gathered ten of the nearby timewaiters, and bid them join hands to make a ring around the tree, just barely wider than the tree itself was. He climbed on the shoulders of the nearest timewaiter, and then... he didn't quite know what to do after that.

"I see Paris, I see France..." chimed one of the crowd, who was looking right up at him as his robes swayed in the breeze.

The timewaiter upon whose shoulders he was standing had a suggestion for him. "Why don't you just go to the top of the hill. It's plenty high, and you have less of a chance of plummeting 20 q to your humerus demise. The herald did not think his demise was all that funny, but decided that the timewaiter had a good point.

"Come, and listen! I shall Herald from the Highest Hill!" he shouted, as he leapt down from the weary shoulders that had borne him and began a procession up the hill. "Come and listen! He shall Herald from the Highest Hill!" they all chanted, and in a few moments they had reached the crest, whereupon he blew the ram's horn, which echoed across the land.

With that signal, the Pope, in the Valley of the Great Trees below, began his proclamation:

"We are here, indeed, we have all been drawn here, to commemorate, canonize, and celebrate the arrival of Vytron, our newest and most awaited BlitzGirl the Next since BlitzGirl herself. Back when there wasn't even the eighth binary power of Time, Vytron forsook the comforts of that Present and undertook a Holy Quest, starting at the Beginning of Time, and travelling through all the newpages of Time, so that he could Wait for It in the Proper Manner. This is a quest to which few are called, but upon whom Glories Unimaginable are bestowed. During this Glorious Pilgrimage, three times as much Time as there was Time at the time he vanished from Time to go to the Beginning of Time, passed. Many were the trials and tribulations that he did experience, and he is here with us now, himself Enriched Beyond Measure, and having enriched us all through his Glorious Deed."

"Vytron, arise and kneel".

Vytron steps forward from the crowd, clothed in an animated avatar that obscures the fact that he has a slight limp. The First Cleric does not miss this however. He rushes over to the Pope and whispers "His foot! His foot!", but the Pope pays him no heed. The second scribe goes up to the First Cleric and puts her arm around him. "It's ok, he just has a limp". The First Cleric looks at her as she smiles back at him - she could charm the skin off a snake! She says "Just a limp. He'll put some catsup on it tonight and it will be fine." and the First Cleric walks back with her to the side of the stage as Vytron reaches the center and kneels before the Pope.

The Pope raises his hand above Vytron and proclaims, in a voice that could cross the sea, "Vytron, in honor of your having completed a most Awesome BlitzQuest, and having kept your dedication true throughout all of the tests of faith that you faced, by the power vested in me as the Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction, and in witness of your Most Auspicious Arrival in the Valley of the Great Trees, do I hereby consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title BlitzGirl the Next, that it be known for all Time, and for all of time, that you have truly and properly Waited for It. And furthermore do I consecrate the Gospel of Vytron, a True and Holy Record of your Quest both in text form and in Glorious Graphics, to be counted among the Holy Books alongside the Gospel of BlitzGirl, and alongside all of the other Gospels before and to come, that it provide inspiration to all who follow, and indeed to all Timewaiters, for all Time, and for all of time."

With that, the ram's horn sounds again, and the crowd bursts into cheering as all the Timewaiters wave banners in curvy fashions, so as to avoid the risk of rectilinear assumptions, whence raptors may appear. Vytron rises, and carefully descends the stairs to the waiting crowd. The Pope stands on the dais a moment, taking in the valley full of timewaiters, and the second scribe joins him momentarily. "There is not much time left", said the Pope to the second scribe.

"More are coming", replied the second scribe, "but not here."

"Tonight we shall be off", said the Pope. "Just as soon as we have finished celebrating."

The second scribe contemplated this, as the Pope went off to find some cupcakes and berries. Travel by night was perilous, but if they waited until daybreak, the Pope would never get away. She scurried off to find the Holy Catographer. That map thing could be useful.

Jose

As always, every chapter of the "Acts Of The Clerics" is finely crafted, humorous, and have a bit of mystery. WELL DONE!!!!*

*(unless you prefer "medium rare")**
**(unless you're a vegan, then "pomegranate")

EDIT
And thanks for the quick links to each chapter and to the wiki, at the end. So much easier than scrolling backwards three NP at a time. Or having to "search" the thread every time you want to find "the rest of the story".

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Fri May 31, 2013 6:35 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Also, )) to counteract XonqNopp's evil left-parens without quoting (so I don't create more disharmonious parentheticals).

Ha, you're the first one to have figured it out the right way... :) (But now that I quoted you we have two close-parens leftover... So I fix this here: (( (oh my, these are after the corresponding close-parens... am I messing it all up? (please do not answer... (Does someone also counts the parens used in the smileys? Because if I would use them right, whenever I put :( I must close it by :)... (And what with parens in spoilers? (OK, I stop it now...

@kenmelken
Spoiler:
kenmelken wrote:I have not been having any issues accessing the site. Been completely normal for me.

And now, I believe it is time for me to celebrate, as I pass into the triple-digit realm of posts!.

To commemorate, I've made you all a GIFt:

Now I guess it's time to put on those hats HAL made...

Wow, great!

@Sciscitor
Spoiler:
Sciscitor wrote:Update from my new project: It did not turn out just as I imagined it, but due to Outside restrictions I will have to leave it at that for some Time now. There are some avatars missing and some are stale, and I am not entirely content with the way some of them are scaled. However, those without an avatar are mentioned in randomly coloured rectangles, their name spelled out in xkcd font.
As it became my custom with such images, there is a huge version of them as well.

If someone wants to turn this thing into a clickable map, I could provide any image size and a corresponding JSON dataset with coordinates, names and/or user ids.

On another note: Looks like I would be the one who paints the walls of the caves, depicting the life and history of the tribe...

It seems I'm not in :(
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri May 31, 2013 6:42 am UTC

<blindpost progress="still continuing to the future">

AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:

Ooh, cool. I know that's from your picture concept. I'm sorry I hadn't been able to get to this (as the concept shred my brain) but with sketch the concept seems a bit clearer. Looks like you got yourself a Dracomax-style dragon. I had in mind a different kind.

</blindpost>

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Fri May 31, 2013 6:55 am UTC

Er... I'm sorry, but I have a complain to address to Kieryn... It seems the forum navigator of your website suffers some bugs... I have done more ONG than what is listed... e.g. newpix 1545 was done by me... And probably some others too... :? Or maybe is this page something completely different? (again) I do not know since it is unclear what its purpose is...

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri May 31, 2013 6:55 am UTC

@XonqNopp
Thanks for bumping my little celebration forward a bit. :P

WikiQuest Progress

I have successfully changed all the pages related to Eras, Eons, and Periods to accurately reflect the new changes to the keeping of the Journey Eon. This included making new pages for the newly designated Eras, and for each of those I tried to include a fairly succinct but thorough (tricky, right?) summary/analysis of the era on a whole, as I've been doing with many of the Period stubs.

My next goal: keep progressing on expanding more of the Period stubs, in order to make the Wiki a more complete history of the story and development of the comic. I'd love it if a few of you could go look at all the changes (a good place to start would just be the newly-improved-with-summary-and-revised-era-list Journey Eon page which also links to all the new Era pages) and fix any mistakes if you see them, give feedback here, etc. And certainly add some more if you are so inclined! :)

My ultimate hope is that we, as the true devotees to Time, can build a resource that is particularly useful to all people, including those not on the forum with perhaps a more casual interest looking to understand the comic a bit better. Could be a great outreach tool with Outsiders (a topic that has surfaced a few times [heresy]today[heresy]).
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 31, 2013 6:58 am UTC

XonqNopp wrote:@Sciscitor
Spoiler:
Sciscitor wrote:Update from my new project: It did not turn out just as I imagined it, but due to Outside restrictions I will have to leave it at that for some Time now. There are some avatars missing and some are stale, and I am not entirely content with the way some of them are scaled. However, those without an avatar are mentioned in randomly coloured rectangles, their name spelled out in xkcd font.
As it became my custom with such images, there is a huge version of them as well.

If someone wants to turn this thing into a clickable map, I could provide any image size and a corresponding JSON dataset with coordinates, names and/or user ids.

On another note: Looks like I would be the one who paints the walls of the caves, depicting the life and history of the tribe...

It seems I'm not in :(

I don't think you got skipped intentionally. You're more than likely supposed to be one of those blank spaces near fatness and charlie_grumbles. So fear not, you'll be in his Version 2, I'm sure.
(And belated "Good Wishes" on your wedding(s). May you two find joy in every year of your "Wait" together.)

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri May 31, 2013 7:04 am UTC

HOPEDSOMEONEELSEWOULDONGTHIS

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Fri May 31, 2013 7:06 am UTC

Regarding the revisions to the rewrite if JoCo's Still Alive, I agree with the footnotes, except three, as that line flows right in my mind as it currently stands.

Edit: here let me close those tags for you [/heresy][/heresy]. :wink:
Last edited by Eshru on Fri May 31, 2013 7:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri May 31, 2013 7:08 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:Let me try to work this one out. Your Future self, which was really your Present self at the time you wrote this, summarized your Past self's first post. And now that I'm reading it, it is deep into your Past once again. So, your Past self is summarizing your Past self's further Past self's post as that further Past self's Future self, as read by my Present self, who is mired deep into your Past in your Past self's Future Present self. Is that about right?
Surprisingly, this made sense. Add in a little blind-posting and it's perfect. ;)

*blind-postin'*

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Swein

Postby Swein » Fri May 31, 2013 7:15 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Woo it's like a concert in here tonight! Nice one, slinches!

Here is the snakebee gif:

Spoiler:
Snakebee.gif
Looks like Cuegan might be surprised when they try to climb this ledge...

Me think it is a herd of Lemmings (Molpings/Lemmolps?) on their way to a convenient cliff to throw themselves out from.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 31, 2013 7:16 am UTC

Eshru wrote:Regarding the revisions to the rewrite if JoCo's Still Alive, I agree with the footnotes, except three, as that line flows right in my mind as it currently stands.

I dunno, I have to pause between trying and to.

Bye for now, I must go and nachos. Yes, nachos is a verb.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 31, 2013 7:23 am UTC

Image Yay, more Acts of the Clerics! Wonderful as ever, Jose!

I kind of want the snakebee to pounce on Cuegan like a mountain lion, but it doesn't look like the pouncing type, unfortunately.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 31, 2013 7:30 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:@XonqNopp
Thanks for bumping my little celebration forward a bit. :P

WikiQuest Progress

Spoiler:
I have successfully changed all the pages related to Eras, Eons, and Periods to accurately reflect the new changes to the keeping of the Journey Eon. This included making new pages for the newly designated Eras, and for each of those I tried to include a fairly succinct but thorough (tricky, right?) summary/analysis of the era on a whole, as I've been doing with many of the Period stubs.

My next goal: keep progressing on expanding more of the Period stubs, in order to make the Wiki a more complete history of the story and development of the comic. I'd love it if a few of you could go look at all the changes (a good place to start would just be the newly-improved-with-summary-and-revised-era-list Journey Eon page which also links to all the new Era pages) and fix any mistakes if you see them, give feedback here, etc. And certainly add some more if you are so inclined! :)

My ultimate hope is that we, as the true devotees to Time, can build a resource that is particularly useful to all people, including those not on the forum with perhaps a more casual interest looking to understand the comic a bit better. Could be a great outreach tool with Outsiders (a topic that has surfaced a few times [heresy]today[heresy]).

Just spent some time on those new wiki pages. Looking really fine and very readable. In other words, since the purpose of the wiki is to tell the story of the OTC to someone who just "happens" by, you're using just the right amount of OTT-jargon (with definitions) and "outside" terms as needed.

So, can anybody start a new page or add something without really "registering"?
I have been direct linked to some pages that don't seem to be on the table of contents page. I'm sure those pages would get more traffic if people knew they were there.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri May 31, 2013 7:39 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:
Just spent some time on those new wiki pages. Looking really fine and very readable. In other words, since the purpose of the wiki is to tell the story of the OTC to someone who just "happens" by, you're using just the right amount of OTT-jargon (with definitions) and "outside" terms as needed.

So, can anybody start a new page or add something without really "registering"?
I have been direct linked to some pages that don't seem to be on the table of contents page. I'm sure those pages would get more traffic if people knew they were there.

Yeah, anyone can edit. I didn't even get an account until yesterday, actually! I'd always been editing anonymously. I finally got one because you need an account to add pictures, which I'd never tried until yesterday.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Fri May 31, 2013 7:47 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Eshru wrote:Regarding the revisions to the rewrite if JoCo's Still Alive, I agree with the footnotes, except three, as that line flows right in my mind as it currently stands.

I dunno, I have to pause between trying and to.

Bye for now, I must go and nachos. Yes, nachos is a verb.

Crying became trying, it should work.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri May 31, 2013 8:00 am UTC

Beware the lurking MolpONG!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri May 31, 2013 8:01 am UTC

molpy-snake still hidOng?

Spoiler:

Edit
just call me ninja'd.

Just don't call me late for dinner..

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 31, 2013 8:06 am UTC

Nah, it's still moving around a little. I wonder if Cuegan are noticing it, or just looking at the ledge again?

ETA: Guess I won't know for a while, off to coma. The best part of waking up is newpix in your cup.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:37 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:This is great! Keep it up with the panoramas! You don't need to update too often, though. Once every 10-20 newpix is plenty. (not telling you to slow it down, but don't feel required to be constantly updating)

Don't worry, it's fun, but the Outside will take care of slowing me down... ;)
But on average, a new part of the landscape is revealed to us every 8 newpix or so, should be possible to keep up. Traveling that panorama has taken Cuegan a little over 300 newpix so far, covering about half a kq...
Go Minim go!

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri May 31, 2013 9:00 am UTC

ClimbONG finally. And molpy retreated slightly.
Streak = 2

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 31, 2013 9:07 am UTC

ucim wrote:
jolleychris wrote:[lots of stuff, here]
That was one of the most entertaining posts I've read, especially from a newbie! You'll fit in well here. Yes, it is a bit crazy; I see you've found the wiki, it's far from complete but it has some of the elements of the OTC as well as the OTT.

This is the most focused discussion of the OTC that exists. There are many reasons for that, but the one that would make most sense to a newcomer with that question is that the comic itself is quite enigmatic. It's not so well defined, like his other comics, so, nobody really knows what to focus discussion on. Randall, the 1One True Author, has in essence created a new art form, and we are here at its birth. As a side effect (which has become the main effect), the OTA1 has created a community.
Spoiler:
It is arguably true that xkcd itself, as a whole, has created a community, but this is true in the same way that other web communities exist. However, the exceptionally vibrant community centered around comic 1190 is "different in a different way". There are several reasons for this, some of which are historical accidents, and some of which are (in retrospect) probably inevitiable. Rather than speculate on why (I do have ideas, but they ultimately don't really matter), I will share one thing - that modern art may have more to it than I give it credit for.

There are lots of dumb things that parade around as art these days. I'll be happy to laugh at them with you, having seen my share of "art experiences" that I had no patience for. Were I to describe a full length motion picture delivered one frame at a time as "exciting, avant-garde, deep, and meaningful" I would laugh at myself as I moved on to the next video art exhibit to make fun of. But, the truth turns out to be that in some cases, if you actually allow yourself to experience what the artist intended, you will be richly rewarded. Such is the case here.

There are several websites which allow you to peruse the OTC rapidly, like a flipbook. The experience is not the same at all as when you are waiting for the next frame, wondering what is coming next, and are denied that fulfillment for an hour, or even with multiple frames of "nothing happening", for a full day or more. And the experience is not the same as simply watching the flipbook slower. That's like watching a baseball game on the VCR, by yourself, after you already know the score and seen the best plays on the evening news.

However, in real time it is quite different, and the thread captures the real-time thoughts of those who were there at the moment. Reading the thread (all frames are included in the thread, though every now and then there are a few peeks at whatever the actual present frame is - we're trying to fix that) is actually a very good way to experience the One True Comic, Time, in its own time.

It does require a commitment of time, and a willingness to forgo the present Time. This is what BlitzGirl pioneered, and we have since had quite a few people follow in her footsteps. If you truly want to understand why we are here, that is one way to gain enlightenment.

Or, you can just jump into the Present, flipping through the book of Aubron for a bit of context, and over the course of the next few wips, you will pick up what you need to know, and become one of the enlightened. It may be that some time in the future, you will understand the deep Chasm in your soul, and need to drink from the River of Time until it is sated. This is a most Glorious Quest, with deep personal significance. You would become a BlitzGirl the Next, one of the highest honors that can be conferred.

Either way you go, we welcome you with open arms. Just beware of the molpys. They look friendly, but you never know!

jolleychris wrote:I havn't even figured out how to get notifications of replies or subsequent posts to this one, so it will probably be (new)Page 8XX by the time I return, and am unable to find this post again, as happened with my last post(s). I lack elite forum skillz*, clearly.
There is a way to be notified if people respond to your post (or to the thread, I'm not sure which). I won't tell you, because it's useless in this thread (you'll either get an email ever ten minutes, or you'll miss people who respond to you without quoting - the thread moves far too fast!). If you really want to know for other threads, ask again. :)

Jose

Blind post (so might have been ninja'd) but Jose, I think you should post a version of this excellent post on the wiki, on a “Welcome” page or something like that.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Fri May 31, 2013 9:20 am UTC

- Blindpost -

jjjdavidson wrote:Imagine Henny Youngman on stage, doing classic stand-up comedy. And the audience never laughs--he's thinking to himself, "I got a bigger reaction from the Mona Lisa." Then suddenly, five or six minutes into his routine, the audience bursts into wild applause─

─at the Robert Goulet number they heard fifteen minutes earlier. And ten minutes or so after that, during a big dance number with thirty beautiful leggy girls in spangly costumes, everybody in the room starts roaring with laughter.

Man, that's what posting in this thread is like.

This.

The effect is amplified when blitzing and reading the content when lots of activity is going on. Indeed, after someone posts something cool one wonders why's nobody talking about it, and 5 pages later (which may mean one doesn't read them until the next day) there's the appreciation.

But in very active times, looking at the post dates, it turns out those 5 pages were posted on a 2 hour lapse, which is crazy. But two hours is a very reasonable time for a post to be appreciated, it just feels like a much longer time when time is measured in NewPages. Randall's comic have changed my life in the way I think and perceive time, how weird is to say that?

By the way, I loved this:

Spoiler:
jjjdavidson wrote:A real-thread illustration: On NP 483 (May 1, morning my time) I dropped a little gag about the .otf file extension. (And if I revive it with this post, it won't count: Observer bias or Hawthorne effect or Heisenberg's principle or something. [Ain't Wikipedia handy?])

A few people (Valarya, lmjb1964, Angelastic) came back with grins over the next five NP, and I thought it would quietly die. But then phoenixRising mentioned it on NP 495 (May 1, nearly midnight my time) and KarMann quoted her, and several more people responded. Then on NP 500, about 25 newpix after my original post, Valarya teased Dracomax about using OTF to mean One True Forum, and there was another brief flurry of quoting, then silence.

But then, on NP 535, 3½ xips after my original post, azule put "One True Font" in her list of OTx TLAs. And mikrit dropped the phrase on NP 589, 9 full xips, over 220 newpix later. It died off after that, at last; no big surprise. But I also wouldn't have been much surprised if when partingLance hit the top of a Newpage a couple of pages back and ventured a blanket blank decree, someone had posted, "Your decree's no good─"

I really like reports of such events! (Like I liked the 500 NPs ago features)

Can we get more analysis of such events on the thread? They're highlights that are even missed by people having read all these pages.

Like, semenatedcoffeecancerbaconbabiesonice, it has evolved over time and it's because people don't go and check how it's spelled or use copy pasta, they just write it again from memory.

One thing I noticed is the extra two letters that were added to the canon, and found it interesting.

The bacon, and the ice, were added back when people were speculating if the sandcastles were icecastles, and when people were speculating what if the sea (which is big) was made of bacon.

But the ending was just:

baconice

Then on the permutations the "onice" got a life of its own, so, since it ended with "onice", it kept ending like that even without the word "bacon" before it. So it became "bacononice", and then we even got cool pictures of all these things... on ice, like Disney!

I wish that if the comic ever ends, we still gather around and discuss such things about the thread, and people can keep coming up with stuff (we are more than 25 active people, aren't we? If we make a post daily then we'd produce as much content to read as the OTC is doing now.)

I would be greatly saddened if after the OTC ended, after a week the thread would go dead and there wouldn't even be a single post in 24 hours :(

Aaaand, I think it's a really weird thing to be afraid of...
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri May 31, 2013 9:23 am UTC

Ketchup Time
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Cool, I have found me. My avatar is bigger than I expected, is the size based on measurements?

jolleychris wrote:I havn't even figured out how to get notifications of replies or subsequent posts to this one, so it will probably be (new)Page 8XX by the time I return, and am unable to find this post again, as happened with my last post(s). I lack elite forum skillz*, clearly.

You can easily find the last page you read in the OTT (This topic):
1. Go to the folder "Individual XKCD Comic Threads".
2. Make sure you are logged in
3. The almost rectangular page thingy in front of the topic "1190: Time" should be orange. Hoover over it.
4. Notice that the alt-text is "View first unread post". Think "That's what I need". Click it.
5. Be happy.
6. Notice how insanely much has been posted since your last visit
7. Be sad that the amount of new pages since your last view is to much to catch up.
8. Click the page on the top/bottom right that's about 3 pages before the end.
9. Start reading.
10. The Ketchup posts will fill you in on the main parts.
12. Profit!

At least that's approximately what I do.

<Personality id=25>
What the %&(%^&? Neil, you have made a list without duplicates. Where is the fun in that? At least do something with the footnotes
</personality>

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:
ergman wrote:[spoiler]
mscha wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:
- a bottle containing a carbonated beverage
- the valve-like device attached to the side of your house that you might attach a garden hose to
- a paper container that the grocery store puts your purchases into so you can carry them out

For the record:
- “frisdank”, or simply “fris”
- “kraan”
- “zak”
Do you like your fris fizzy?
How cool would it be if frisdank just poured out of your kraan, instead of having to get it by the zak?

That I adapted so quickly to such usage of those words, that it all made perfect sense, to me is, somewhat, disturbing. :shock:

That's a side effect of reading the OTT about the OTC (currently featuring Cuegan drinking from the dilgunnerang). Even the molpy-minded adapt faster than a sparrow-raptor, absorbing new terms every newpix, whether it's from a discussion read while ketchup blitzing the pastposts, a sigcouragement response, or from the most recent B/D/G ONG. (Birds-that-we-don't-wish-to-call-birds-but-maybe-boobies-will-be-okay, anyone?) I wonder if the OTA, GLR, had any idea what would happen when he unleashed this marvel upon Outside minds, who now scan semencoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice for any sign of heretical mustard, compare the heights of creatures in centicues, keep the OTW updated and give each other Present Presents. Whether we be Amoebaeists or Loopists, Temporal Illuminati or Timewaiters, PFANPs or Mopey Molpy Momes, Trekers or thread-dwellers living in the Now, we know how to take any Madness that infects this needle-pulled thing in stride as we Wait for it together.

Is it wrong that I read that without noticing that it would be complete gibberish to Outsiders?

fhorn wrote:If you really want to jump in (and you should! jump in, that is) just follow this bit of wisdom:
SBN wrote: Ask questions if you want. We're a really nice bunch.

Yes we are. We haven't committed any genocide. None at all. Really, we haven't.
Why doesn't anyone believe me?

ChronosDragon wrote:My ketchup gimmicks are getting too elaborate...a whole newpage was formed while I was making this!
Spoiler:

That's awesome.

1 No I won't. jolleychris may not have seen the messes in the footnotes.

Edit 1: Oops, it seems I have inadvertently found a way to break the forum. I fixed it now and won't tell the trolls.
Edit 2: Fixed the spoilers
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri May 31, 2013 9:35 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Ketchup Time
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Cool, I have found me. My avatar is bigger than I expected, is the size based on simple measurements? Not post count, for I haven't even posted my first centipost yet.

3. The almost rectangular page thingy in front of the topic "1190: Time" should be orange. Hoover over it.
4. Notice that the alt-text is "View first unread post". Think "That's what I need". Click it.
5. Be happy.
7. Be sad that the amount of new pages since your last view is to much to catch up.
9. Start reading.
12. Profit!

<Personality id=25>
What the %&(%^&? Neil, you have made a list without duplicates. Where is the fun in that? At least do something with the footnotes
</personality>

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:
ergman wrote:[spoiler]
mscha wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:
- a bottle containing a carbonated beverage
- the valve-like device attached to the side of your house that you might attach a garden hose to
- a paper container that the grocery store puts your purchases into so you can carry them out

For the record:
- “frisdank”, or simply “fris”
- “kraan”
- “zak”
Do you like your fris fizzy?
How cool would it be if frisdank just poured out of your kraan, instead of having to get it by the zak?

That I adapted so quickly to such usage of those words, that it all made perfect sense, to me is, somewhat, disturbing. :shock:

That's a side effect of reading the OTT about the OTC (currently featuring Cuegan drinking from the dilgunnerang). Even the molpy-minded adapt faster than a sparrow-raptor, absorbing new terms every newpix, whether it's from a discussion read while ketchup blitzing the pastposts, a sigcouragement response, or from the most recent B/D/G ONG. (Birds-that-we-don't-wish-to-call-birds-but-maybe-boobies-will-be-okay, anyone?) I wonder if the OTA, GLR, had any idea what would happen when he unleashed this marvel upon Outside minds, who now scan semencoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice for any sign of heretical mustard, compare the heights of creatures in centicues, keep the OTW updated and give each other Present Presents. Whether we be Amoebaeists or Loopists, Temporal Illuminati or Timewaiters, PFANPs or Mopey Molpy Momes, Trekers or thread-dwellers living in the Now, we know how to take any Madness that infects this needle-pulled thing in stride as we Wait for it together.

Is it wrong that I read that without noticing that it would be complete gibberish to Outsiders?

fhorn wrote:If you really want to jump in (and you should! jump in, that is) just follow this bit of wisdom:
SBN wrote: Ask questions if you want. We're a really nice bunch.

Yes we are. We haven't committed any genocide. None at all. Really, we haven't.
Why doesn't anyone believe me?

Spoiler:

That's awesome.

1 No I won't. jolleychris may not have seen the messes in the footnotes.

Edit 1: Oops, it seems I have inadvertently found a way to break the forum. I fixed it now and won't tell the trolls.
Edit 2: Fixed the spoilers
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Fri May 31, 2013 9:36 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:

5. Be happy.
9. Start reading.
12. Profit!

Actually, this gives the link http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&view=unread#unread and I use it all the time. On ketchup Time, I open this link. When I finished reading the current NewPage, I make it refresh and it puts me on the next NewPage... Of course, this page is *always* open in my browser. Whenever I want to post (like now), I open "postreply" in a new tab, so that I do not loose my usual OTT... And during normal time, I just have to refresh to see if there are new posts, and if there are on NewPages, it brings me there :)

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Fri May 31, 2013 9:43 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:And molpy retreated slightly.

Rearing back to strike? :shock:
The suspense is killing me...
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri May 31, 2013 9:55 am UTC

Yay, a Still Alive parody!

I agree with Eternal Density's assessment of places where it could flow better. I would like to add that 'Still waiting' doesn't really have the right rhythm for the song; you end up emphasising the ING, which is heresy because only ONGs should be emphasised. So I would suggest, instead of:

.......are
Still Waiting

we have:

......still
Wait for it

Also, while I was pointing out how Paul and Storm were connected with the thread for more than just their stage-jumping (almost typed 'humping' there) I somehow completely forgot to mention that they and Jonathan Coulton were on a cruise with GLR in February, and may well have made sand castles with ^Him. (I couldn't decide between capital H and lowercase, so let ^H stand for the repeated deletion and reinsertion of Hs.)
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 31, 2013 9:57 am UTC

Another blind post (sorry...)

pelrigg wrote:It's Not My Fault. I Didn't Do It.
I did not break the One True Comic, I swear....
(Just in case no ones noticed the new frame isn't up I'm still seeing hash f4e2276e4c47409412666b28be0cca75fedae3c182c4017932891c147004c720 on the site)
Well, I'm suspicious... It can't be a coincidence that it was repaired just as you were posting.
Hopefully I've been ninja'd by newpixbot.........

Give or take 2 millinewpix...

This was the first time in at least a mix that the newpix was properly late. I know people have been complaining, but apart from this one, every single time, newpixbot got the frame within a few millinewpix of ONG-time.
It was indeed late, not down: at least up to np1728:05, newpixbot got the old ‘hash’.
What does this mean? A fresh batch of images uploaded, slightly too late? The ONGbot that switches the ‘hash’ had crashed? Only the GLR (or his archangels) know...
In any case, all further newpix have arrived right on Time, thank Randall!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri May 31, 2013 9:58 am UTC

Prediction & doom: Cuegan is going to step on the molpancake. The molpancake is going to bite them and they will die and the OTC will end. As will our universe, but that'll take a while (10100 years approximately)

he/him/his

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Fri May 31, 2013 9:58 am UTC

More mayonnaise

HAL9000 wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:The narrative flow of the OTT is absurdly knotted and tangled. There's a PhD thesis in here for some sociology major, I'm guessing.

<snip>Definitely something worth studying, and this thread is a good place to look, really. We don't have a single-minded purpose (e.g. count to a million, or "show us your face"), but we also aren't completely scatterbrained (unlike most general threads), and the forum threads that grow to be hundreds of pages almost always fall into one of those categories.

(emphasis mine)

WHAAAAT?? Are you implying the thread is organized and coherent?! Maybe you need some skittles.

I remember back when I started reading this thread, it was very chaotic and disorganized, back when people were speculating if the sandcastles were a real life analogy of Randall managing to get pregnant but having a miscarriage there was a general feeling of panic and people jumping around not knowing what was going on (with fights about "it'll end at April 1st" Vs. "It'll run for a month!") - it was insane.

Have we lost that? Or, did I just get used to that? Because, if we lost that then I think effort should be put into being more scatterbrained! We may be reaching dangerous levels of sanity! Imagine if when a raptor does appear in the comic, we just call it a molpyraptor!? We need more madness!

Hopefully I just got used to the craziness and we're as deranged as ever.

My satirical attempt at that:

This comic just showcases how Randall is a racist. I had suspected that before, what with most of the characters appearing on him comic being white people. Yep. I don't need psychic powers, I can almost guarantee that the very next comic that he makes feature white people.

Just like the frames that are about to happen in time will feature white people. Can we expect a black LaPetite Mort equivalent to appear in it? Didn't think so.

But what we're seeing is that all the molpies are painted black! Yes, all the people are white but the molpies. This is clear discrimination against black people, as they're equaled to molpies.

This is clearly intentional, most things in Time, even the sand! Appear black painted. If silhouettes appeared like that, then Cueball and Megan would also appear with black circles as their heads. They're not doing it, and it's a clear case of Randall telling us "these people ARE white!"

He also tried to disguise these facts by introducing Minority Token character LaPetite. A French character appears in it and suddenly the rest can be forgotten?!

But he doesn't stop here, he also goes and paints all trees thick black, with a clear connotation that black people are like trees! Which means... Huh, I mean, Time Flies are also black! They're being compared to molpinsects!

This talks about the worrying state of society, people go about their lives enjoying the comic and the company of others following it, without ever thinking about the racial implications.

Bottom line, huh, I don't have any conclusion, just, something to think about...

Back off-topic:

Man, I'm slow! I had just realized that the "Vytron was here" tree is the same one featuring azule's heretical branches in xeir panoramas! That's really cool neat 8-)
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Fri May 31, 2013 10:05 am UTC

More climbONG (and a bit of molpy action):

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”