1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Exodies

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Fri May 31, 2013 10:16 am UTC

Icalasari wrote:How many freaking frames are in this?

All of them.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Fri May 31, 2013 10:47 am UTC

- Blind post -

BlitzGirl wrote:Fry Sauce Blitzer
(to the tune of Jukebox Hero)

Spoiler:
Reading through the thread, monitor aglow
Time keeps a-tickin', his eyes go to and fro
Now his ketchup is long, feels like swimming upstream
Took a look at his browser, then with a blitzed-out scream

He made one new tab, opened to the Now
Saw the Present thread, he made a solemn vow
To keep with his blitzing despite the lure
Of the current newpage, though he knew for sure

That one new tab changed all his plans
He made 'til then, open it stands
Just one new tab, changed the status quo
Was a portal through Time, got a new way to go

So he mixed his ketchup
Put mayo-Now on top
Gotta keep that ketchup
But now he's made a fancy new-Time slop

Now he's a fry sauce blitzer, two windows on Time
He's a fry sauce blitzer
He took one new tab (fry sauce blitzer, windows on Time)
Fry sauce blitzer, he'll lead two lives tonight

In a blitz through the thread, in the OTT lore
Thought he passed his own pastpost, didn't know for sure
In a flash to the past, man it seemed pretty strange
How that one new tab made his whole blitz change

When he mixed his old ketchup
Mayo-Now on top
Gotta keep that ketchup
But make a great new-Timey slop

And be a fry sauce blitzer, two windows on Time
He's a fry sauce blitzer, two windows on Time
Yeah, fry sauce blitzer, two windows on Time
With that one new tab he'll lead two lives
Two lives tonight

(Rock-arina interlude)

Yeah he's gotta mix ketchup
Mayo-Now on top
Gotta keep that ketchup
But make a great new-Timey slop

And be a fry sauce blitzer, two windows on Time
He's a fry sauce blitzer, two windows on Time
Just one new tab (fry sauce blitzer), two windows on Time
He's just a fry sauce blitzer (aah aah aah)
Fry sauce blitzer, fry sauce blitzer, with two windows on Time
Windows on Time

Wow BlitzGirl, that's my favorite song posted in the thread! Image
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri May 31, 2013 11:04 am UTC

more climb -ONG
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri May 31, 2013 11:11 am UTC

I might have missed it, but I haven't seen a link to the new Othercomic yet.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri May 31, 2013 11:20 am UTC

pachinkoid wrote:tribe^H^H^H^H^Hgranfalloon

ftfy.

Probably, tho' there's always the chance for a few karass's here as well.

Meanwhile, my puppies are thrilled to be featured, nearly dead-center, on the avatarmap.

Edit: just noticed this was tagged as my 323-rd post. Hey, that's my birthday!
Last edited by cellocgw on Fri May 31, 2013 11:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri May 31, 2013 11:32 am UTC

I'm no longer in a coma. But I'll have to relocate soon. So I just add this sentence. FOR SCIENCE!

I AM the Madness. The Madness lives through me. :P :P :P :P :P
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Fri May 31, 2013 11:40 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Just got ninja'd in the preview, but here goes anyway:
jovialbard wrote:I still feel like it would be cool if the thread could be parsed into topics that could then be read separately as one pleases. That sounds really hard though. I think Kieryn and some of the other analysts do get kind of close to that with some of their word crunching...

You have a strange definition of cool. :wink: I don't know if it's even possible to split this thread into separate topics anymore, considering how many posters address five or six topics in a single ketchup post these days. Plus, it's ALL related. To bring up a recent example, one might think the idea of talking about the posters on this thread as a cave-dwelling tribe is completely off-topic, but then somebody brings up Plato's Parable of the Cave where a captive audience must watch a parade of silhouettes projected on the wall before them, and suddenly it's back to the comic again, where Randall shows us a world portrayed only in silhouette, and perhaps this is a deliberate nod to that allegory (or completely not). Our topics intermingle quite frequently, ebbing and flowing like the Sea1, branching like the limbs of a Tree3, and also merging like the water of stray streams meeting the River2.

Plus, hacking up the OTT might mean hacking up our generally good-natured community, and we'd end up like the Other poor souls wandering amid the lonely threads in the Individual (Other)Comics Section. That's a fate worse than mustard.

3neat
like the Future

What I thought a really neat(TM) idea was that this thread would be so much more incomprehensible if every poster only got one post that he would have to re-edit if he wanted to reply something. Of course, it would be hell to find out who was updating what when and to capture the flow of conversation, but then we wouldn't want things to be easy around here.
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri May 31, 2013 11:44 am UTC

rvloon wrote:
Spoiler:
jovialbard wrote:I still feel like it would be cool if the thread could be parsed into topics that could then be read separately as one pleases. That sounds really hard though. I think Kieryn and some of the other analysts do get kind of close to that with some of their word crunching...

You have a strange definition of cool. :wink: I don't know if it's even possible to split this thread into separate topics anymore, considering how many posters address five or six topics in a single ketchup post these days. Plus, it's ALL related. To bring up a recent example, one might think the idea of talking about the posters on this thread as a cave-dwelling tribe is completely off-topic, but then somebody brings up Plato's Parable of the Cave where a captive audience must watch a parade of silhouettes projected on the wall before them, and suddenly it's back to the comic again, where Randall shows us a world portrayed only in silhouette, and perhaps this is a deliberate nod to that allegory (or completely not). Our topics intermingle quite frequently, ebbing and flowing like the Sea1, branching like the limbs of a Tree3, and also merging like the water of stray streams meeting the River2.

Plus, hacking up the OTT might mean hacking up our generally good-natured community, and we'd end up like the Other poor souls wandering amid the lonely threads in the Individual (Other)Comics Section. That's a fate worse than mustard.

3neat
like the Future

What I thought a really neat(TM) idea was that this thread would be so much more incomprehensible if every poster only got one post that he would have to re-edit if he wanted to reply something. Of course, it would be hell to find out who was updating what when and to capture the flow of conversation, but then we wouldn't want things to be easy around here.

But we do want things to be easy! And we want to up our post counts so we can eat more cake and have a good reason to eat more cake! Cake is very important in this thread! And so are exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri May 31, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

OOP-ONG
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri May 31, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
Spoiler:
rvloon wrote:

3neat
like the Future

But we do want things to be easy! And we want to up our post counts so we can eat more cake and have a good reason to eat more cake! Cake is very important in this thread! And so are exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!

The main reason I have for eating cake is usually that there is cake that I can eat. I need no more reason. But then again, due to my own laziness in baking cake and my lactose allergy there aren't many of those cases.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Swein

Postby Swein » Fri May 31, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I might have missed it, but I haven't seen a link to the new Othercomic yet.

Ooooh! It is all connected!!! :shock: ... the question is HOW? :?
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri May 31, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

Swein wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:I might have missed it, but I haven't seen a link to the new Othercomic yet.

Magic! And toffee!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri May 31, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

Swein wrote:

"Making boring things interesting" is the connection.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri May 31, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

azule wrote:<blindpost progress="still continuing to the future">

AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:

Ooh, cool. I know that's from your picture concept. I'm sorry I hadn't been able to get to this (as the concept shred my brain) but with sketch the concept seems a bit clearer. Looks like you got yourself a Dracomax-style dragon. I had in mind a different kind.
</blindpost>

I see. Our dinosaurs are different.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 31, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
Icalasari wrote:How many freaking frames are in this?

All of them.

Good answer.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Fri May 31, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

SuspensONG!
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Jonas79

Postby Jonas79 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

WATCH OUT RATTLEMOLPY

I know this isn't a new theory, just wanted to say it.
I predict that the One True Comic will continue until the end of Time!

You did it BlitzGirl!

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri May 31, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

Phew, I managed to escape the tab explosion, but only just.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 31, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Ketched up, for now. And just in time for the excitement of Cueball vs Beesnake!

No Image-post, don't have the time. (Actually, I don't have the time to be ketching up either, but the OTT is the only thing that keeps me (somewhat) sane at the moment, so I'm doing it anyway.)

Just a note that all the creative efforts were awesome. A special callout to Episode 8 of the Act of the Clerics, though; we've been eagerly awaiting that one!
(I don't want to be a party pooper, but isn't it a bit premature, though, to herald Vytron as BlitzGirl The Next? Last time I checked, (s)he had skipped quite a few NP, to be read later. Which is fine, of course, but if you run the New York Marathon and take a shortcut, you don't get a medal either.)
Last edited by mscha on Fri May 31, 2013 1:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri May 31, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

mscha wrote:(Actually, I don't have the time to be ketching up either, but the OTT is the only thing that keeps me (somewhat) sane at the moment, so I'm doing it anyway.)

I use the OTT to keep my sanity in check to. I don't want to turn sane, that'd be boring

he/him/his

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 31, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Molpy Report!

Thanks to BlitzGirl for holding the fo^H^H cliff; your animations always look much more artistic than mine...

Here's an updated animation, both a regular version and a “difference with previous frame” version.

Can't wait to see what happens next newpix! This Molpy (beesnake?) surely can't be ignored as usual, can it? We may know in half a pix...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri May 31, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

Time for a Cueball freakout! (He's totally gonna leap back right on top of Megan)
Last edited by jovialbard on Fri May 31, 2013 1:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

If it's not a venomous rapplesnake, it could be vicious stinging molpions. (Or should that be scorpiONGs?)

And while vermicious knids seem unlikely, who can say they're out of the question?
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri May 31, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

Oooh, he's going to get bit right in the faceball.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri May 31, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Molpy Report!

Thanks to BlitzGirl for holding the fo^H^H cliff; your animations always look much more artistic than mine...

Here's an updated animation, both a regular version and a “difference with previous frame” version.
Spoiler:

Can't wait to see what happens next newpix! This Molpy (beesnake?) surely can't be ignored as usual, can it? We may know in half a pix...

Climbing a ledge and coming face to face with a molpy-snake should be rather startling. I anticipate some grammatical ejaculation and potentially a fall back off of the ledge in the coming newpix. Although Cueball is likely not in much real danger since this site says that there aren't any particularly dangerous snakes in Madagascar

Swein

Postby Swein » Fri May 31, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

Sooo... it has a head. I guess it's not a herd of Molpings then. :(
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri May 31, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

Swein wrote:Sooo... it has a head. I guess it's not a herd of Molpings then. :(

Or one is jumping. It was in the air at the moment of the Frame.

he/him/his

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri May 31, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

Yay to the Portal parody!! <3 those games.

I predict Cueball and the snakebee to 'startle' and stare at one another in the next newpix.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 31, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

*Headphones on, Daft Punk blasting, dancing in the back of the cave*

Around the world, Around the world

We're waiting for it, waiting for it

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Fri May 31, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Snake!
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Laser Plumb

Postby Laser Plumb » Fri May 31, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:*Headphones on, Daft Punk blasting, dancing in the back of the cave*

oh my ... Randall rules ... !!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri May 31, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:Snake!

Aha! It was a molpysnake... but is it a venomous one?
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri May 31, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

XonqNopp wrote:Snake!

Yes, a ledge lurkONG snake at that.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

watch out!
molpython.gif
Go Minim go!

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 31, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

Glad to see you're all still enjoying the Acts of the Clerics.

mscha wrote:(I don't want to be a party pooper, but isn't it a bit premature, though, to herald Vytron as BlitzGirl, the next? Last time I checked, (s)he had skipped quite a few NP, to be read later. Which is fine, of course, but if you run the New York Marathon and take a shortcut, you don't get a medal either.)
Yes, the First Cleric pointed that out too (his limp) but the Pope seems to think that... well, sometimes the Pope seems to not think at all! It's not the first time he's been too eager; maybe he's just eager for a party. Or he likes to tease raptors with all that banner waving. Or he's got a catsup franchise and is looking to make a sale. It's all so contradictory - he hasn't even canonized the fossil BlitzGirl, RobIrr, who has made the Quest not once, but twice! What's up with that? Is this the kind of Pope you'd follow through the MolpyWoods on a dark night?

And now, for something completely different:
mscha wrote:Blind post (so might have been ninja'd) but Jose, I think you should post a version of this excellent post [long exposition and analysis of the OTT] on the wiki, on a “Welcome” page or something like that.
There have been several excellent posts on the subject; perhaps they should all be gathered together for the wiki and put near the welcome page. I'd be happy to contribute my humble observations.

Also, maybe the set of empty pages should be removed. I think there's a page for every frame, but most of them seem to be empty, and that could be frustrating for people perusing the OTW. Are any of the "per frame" pages nonempty?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Fri May 31, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

Hah! I got to my computer just as the newpic went up (having not seen the latest animation showing the Molypsnake Convergence). I saw Cueball yelling "Snake", and immediately laughed and thought, "hey, someone posted another spoof frame, cute". Only then did I realize I was looking at my OTC window and not my OTT window.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri May 31, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

Looks to me that Cueball is more likely going to hurt himself by falling backwards than by any kind of molpysnakebite. Looks like all those sandcastle slips were foreshadowings...
Last edited by Kieryn on Fri May 31, 2013 2:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

Badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger mushroom mushroom

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri May 31, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:Badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger mushroom mushroom

snake SNAKE! :)
It's all related.
Image- Kieryn

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 31, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

Did someone yell snake? Oh dear. Certainly Cueball will do more damage to himself (and possibly Megan) than any molpysnake could. Oh, and HURRAY for our Molpy Detection Agency for successfully tracking the molpysnake! :mrgreen: No question now as to what was found.

*puts headphones back on*

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”