1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Vytron » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:45 pm UTC

- Blindpost -

Image

Big wall of text worth 10 NewPages of ketchup
Spoiler:
Not really, ever since, I have switched from long ketchup posts to Blindpost mayonnaise because I like my posts to appear ASAP instead of having to wait for them to accumulate :)

But couldn't resist doing it, since, I, for one, am looking forward to the rat saving tomatocancerpoisonpurpleketchup :mrgreen:


TheMinim wrote:AND I'M CAUGHT UP!!!!!!!!

*over-enthusiatic about getting to the present even though needs to read some more Past*


Yay!! Minim! YOU. DID. IT!

It was long time ago, but I've brought some donuts so we never forget about Minim's arrival!

Image

Image
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Your ad here. No, seriously! It's free! PM me if interested.
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

I've updated the Wiki page for Time literature with the latest installments of my story, a link to ucim's dedicated Acts of the Clerics page, and a couple links to the Dark Lord installments. Any significant stories it's missing? And is anyone collecting the vast amounts of poetry created here?
Image

User avatar
jjjdavidson
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm UTC
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

MonotonONG...
Image
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:While we're on the topic of snakes, if anyone was looking for a giant-snake-attack simulation game, today's your lucky day! Snaaake!


That's awesome!!! Very gratifying to play.

User avatar
Rule110
Posts: 388
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Rule110 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
moody7277 wrote:New ONG, new scene
Spoiler:
Image

This new scene seems a bit anticlimactic after the last one with ledge climing and sneaky molpy-snakes. Not much opportunity for excitement here unless a mole-molpy or giant-trapdoor-spider-molpy suddenly appears.

There could be a whole nest of low-profile squirpions.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Vytron » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:So Probably Not Dead, which is good. Who'd make all the hats then?


omiblitzgirl

Is that position up for grabs!? I'd love to make hats heretical hats for people that still want OTT hats! Up until buffygirl comes back and takes it over back, I'll make a hat heretical hat for anyone asking for it! :)

Will take a while, until I read your post.
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Your ad here. No, seriously! It's free! PM me if interested.
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:
TheMinim wrote:So Probably Not Dead, which is good. Who'd make all the hats then?


omiblitzgirl

Is that position up for grabs!? I'd love to make hats heretical hats for people that still want OTT hats! Up until buffygirl comes back and takes it over back, I'll make a hat heretical hat for anyone asking for it! :)

Will take a while, until I read your post.


*looks 2 posts up*

Well...that's awkward. :lol:
Image

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Vytron » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

- Blindpost -

ucim wrote:Either way you do it, the Quest is Awesome0 and, should you decide to embark on it, I would bestow upon thee, as Pope of the Holy Contradiction, the Blessing of Strength for the True Pilgrims of Time.

0Should that be a canonical footnote?


I don't think it's canonical unless it appears in the OTC.

But I quite like it! I propose we standardize the zeroth footnote for awesome0!

Ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball!
United we stand opposed to standards!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Your ad here. No, seriously! It's free! PM me if interested.
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

User avatar
Earthling on Mars
Morning
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:35 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere in the Solar System

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I've updated the Wiki page for Time literature with the latest installments of my story, a link to ucim's dedicated Acts of the Clerics page, and a couple links to the Dark Lord installments. Any significant stories it's missing? And is anyone collecting the vast amounts of poetry created here?


I added azule's Story of NewPixBot, and also cleaned up the formatting. There's also one chapter of The Last Time Waiter, which the author says may be twerked and was already twerked once, so I'm not sure what to do about it yet.

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

Image
BlitzGirl wrote:<snip>As a ROTOTTer*

That makes it sound like a cypher in which the letters are rotated by the amount of waterottermolpies in a particular river(small) or something :P

nerdsniped wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Ahh! I missed the Attack of the Molpython while a-coma...
Angelastic wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:Badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger mushroom mushroom

Molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine
I couldn't resist.

Warning: do not view this immediately before coma. The effects are... strange.

Hmm, yes, I imagine it would be quite strange watching that while coma-deprived (or while stoned...)

SBN wrote:
ucim wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Just wondering, as my in-OTT memory is not as good as my Outside Memory: recall back to the early Pages when we still marked events by Outside Time, and the forum mods were having their usual April 1st field day with auto-replacement text. Of all those wacky substitutions, are any still in use as OTT-special-language terms (e.g. coma, needle-pulled)?
Indeed both of those are still in use. Coma is especially so (I had forgotten that that was its origin) and has pretty much replaced "go to bed". "Needle-pulled" is used as an alternative, but "thread" is still in common use. Other phrases are kept alive as references, but I have not compiled a list. That might be another thing that could use wiki-updating-fu.

I think coma predates the madness. Here's the first reference I found:
daef wrote:
Magnap wrote:Phew, just caught up. By the way, i think we should rid ourselves of all Outsider-thinking by coining a new term for what They call "Sleep". The Creator himself has helped us in comic #203 to coin the new verb, "to coma", with "coma" as the present tense and "comad" as the past, and with the future tense (which all verbs need!) still to be decided.


...I'll have to coma over this idea first


Edit: First and second references.

Aha! Yeah, because I was going to say, I de-lurked some time after the madness so I don't really remember it, and I always just presumed coma was a term invented in the OTT as a substitute for sleep - I guessed it was something like: we devote ourselves to the OTC so when we are asleep we are detached from the OTC and therefore from our "world", so it's more than sleep, it's a coma. That's how I always presumed it came about. Was kinda surprised to hear it came about from the madness, but I see I was right all along!

ggh wrote:I bring three tarot cards from the edge of the woods: the Hanged Bot (v2 with improved edges), the Emperor and the Star.
<snip>

Awesomeful!

Earthling on Mars wrote:The Dark Lord

Chapter 1 - 2
<snip>

Also awesomeful!

ChronosDragon wrote:I've updated the Wiki page for Time literature with the latest installments of my story, a link to ucim's dedicated Acts of the Clerics page, and a couple links to the Dark Lord installments. Any significant stories it's missing? And is anyone collecting the vast amounts of poetry created here?

Would my Lord of the Rings parody from way back (exactly an outside-month ago, funnily enough) count?
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

User avatar
LankieBlonde
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 11:28 am UTC
Location: Page 121

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby LankieBlonde » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

Hi!!!
I thought that I would check-in with an update. I've made it to pg.77 so far. Long way to go still. This is fun!!!

Akion wrote:I'm the real heretic here, because I honestly think there was never an "age of the slow pixel"...
Imho that part was only a dramatic stop, a simple admiration of the castle, and those few missing pixels were only either image compression artifacts (though given that the images are png it's pretty odd), or just an indication for the crowd that it's not over yet, wait for it...


I must agree here. This was a moment in which it was just a impressive castle for all to admire before moving on with the plot.

KarMann wrote: [snip]
Give me that old Time religion,
Give me that old Time religion,
Give me that old Time religion,
It's good enough for me!


Rotflol!!! :lol:

Eliram wrote:I really hope the Game of Thrones theory is not true.
It's not that I would mind a direct and amusing comic about the new season, even if it's a financed one. But a commercial teaser this long without us knowing it's a commercial, would be annoying.
So I'm hoping this one is about a day at the beach, a friendly sandcastle competition and maybe a mathematical calculation about the number of grains of sand that were not harmed during the making of this comic.


TeeHeeHee... If ever there are 'ending credits' to the OTC, I am going to lose it if I see "No grains of sand were harmed during the making of this comic." :D Thank you for that funny thought. I'm going to have a happy day today.

Ok. I'm off to continue my journey of 760 Newpages.
Bye :D
Spoiler:
riverssong wrote:
riverssong wrote:I WAITED A HALF HOUR FOR ONE DARKENING PIXEL.

AND THEN
I DID IT AGAIN.


lovepirate wrote:Anyone else feel like in the end we'll see sand letters that spell out B-E-S-U-R-E-T-O-D-R-I-N-K-Y-O-U-R-O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E?

Wait for it.

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Vytron » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

- Blindpost -

CasCat wrote:Hiya, all! I've just Blitzed through all 7332 pages since the Discovery of the Trees3; I found the Book of Aubron on about newpix 48, but had no idea this forum existed....

I made an account just to say, "HIYA!"


You... read 733 pages in a few days?

:shock:

:shock:

HIYA! I'd give you the title of BlitzGirl the Fast, if I had the power to give titles!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Your ad here. No, seriously! It's free! PM me if interested.
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

User avatar
mikrit
Posts: 402
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:13 pm UTC
Location: Sweden

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mikrit » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

richP wrote:
TheMinim wrote:
Yes, but it doesn't make anything definite. And it doesn't rule out the continent.


It does rule out Antarctica, based on the face Cuegan didn't freeze to death before this...

Ah, but Antarctica hasn't always been cold. I remember a Walking with Dinosaurs episode in a warm Antarctica, although it had midnight sun in summer and daytime darkness in winter. The midnight sun could explain a mystery of the OTC: why the sky is always bright, even though many days have passed and they have been sleeping.
Wikipedia wrote:About 65 Ma, Antarctica (then connected to Australia) still had a tropical to subtropical climate, complete with a marsupial fauna. About 40 Ma Australia-New Guinea separated from Antarctica, so that latitudinal currents could isolate Antarctica from Australia, and the first ice began to appear.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

anabatica
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:32 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby anabatica » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Also, I'm 'bout ready to throw my hat in the ring with BlitzGirl on the African Theory. Makes a lot of sense to me. I have to admit that deep down in my surrealist heart, I've always wanted this to be a fictional Randallverse, but the evidence keeps stacking up that he's deliberately trying to show us specific clues to their whereabouts, and Africa seems to be the best fit right now, especially given how much of a perfect fit the Calabar python is, and the fact that Baobabs DO exist on the continent.


Calabar python doesn't fit, habitat is wrong. It lives in rainforests. They are not in a rainforest.

(that said, I'm an Africaist too and I think we've just got the snake identification wrong)

Along with "where", why isn't there more discussion about "when"?

Catapults weren't invented until 400BC and then possibly not the right type of catapult until the Middle Ages (not sure on this bit). Grape domestication was well before all of that and I can't think of any other possible historical clues.

Post-apocalyptic is also possible of course, but I think we'd have picked up on some references to or evidence of "the before times" or similar.

User avatar
jjjdavidson
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm UTC
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

GlancONG back...Image
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: Chapter 14 of the Gospel of tman2nd

Postby Vytron » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

- Blindpost -

tman2nd wrote:Another thing that this reminds me of is ASMR, which I also don't have. It's a tingling sensation that feels good, which starts on the top of the head and travels down the rest of the body. The tingles are triggered by sensory experiences like crinkling, soft speaking, slow hand movements and much more.


WHAAAAT?

I have ASMR0, but I totally thought all people did :o

So most people don't feel these things?! Now that's news to me! Whoa!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Your ad here. No, seriously! It's free! PM me if interested.
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:- Blindpost -

tman2nd wrote:Another thing that this reminds me of is ASMR, which I also don't have. It's a tingling sensation that feels good, which starts on the top of the head and travels down the rest of the body. The tingles are triggered by sensory experiences like crinkling, soft speaking, slow hand movements and much more.


WHAAAAT?

I have ASMR0, but I totally thought all people did :o

So most people don't feel these things?! Now that's news to me! Whoa!


Yeah! It was hidden in a ketchup post, but I had the same epiphany you did! It's weird, I kind of took it for granted...
Image

User avatar
fatness
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:05 am UTC
Location: Sometime last week

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fatness » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Vytron wrote:- Blindpost -

tman2nd wrote:Another thing that this reminds me of is ASMR, which I also don't have. It's a tingling sensation that feels good, which starts on the top of the head and travels down the rest of the body. The tingles are triggered by sensory experiences like crinkling, soft speaking, slow hand movements and much more.


WHAAAAT?

I have ASMR0, but I totally thought all people did :o

So most people don't feel these things?! Now that's news to me! Whoa!


Yeah! It was hidden in a ketchup post, but I had the same epiphany you did! It's weird, I kind of took it for granted...

Well you can add me to this camp. Same thing, same thought.

User avatar
ZoomanSP
Posts: 1974
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 11:23 am UTC
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I've updated the Wiki page for Time literature with the latest installments of my story, a link to ucim's dedicated Acts of the Clerics page, and a couple links to the Dark Lord installments. Any significant stories it's missing? And is anyone collecting the vast amounts of poetry created here?

I would like to take this quote as an opportunity to thank all the talented authors for their stories. I enjoyed them all! And I equally enjoyed all the great songs, poems, comics, pictures, charts, hats, and cupcakesa!

BTW, I noticed here in the wiki that the links no. 2 and 3 need to be inverted. Maybe someone with wiki skills can fix that?

a: and all other artistic contributions I may have forgotten to mention
Wait on.

Image
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9121
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

Oooh, great chapter of The Dark Lord! I hope LaPetite holds out against the molpy forces!
And I like the navigation through the Eons/Eras/Periods, edfel. :)

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:<snip>As a ROTOTTer*

That makes it sound like a cypher in which the letters are rotated by the amount of waterottermolpies in a particular river(small) or something :P

:D Yes. I could have gone with ROOTTer, but I liked ROTOTTer better!

moody7277 wrote:In comparing to the second constellation picture, I found that Blitzgirl is more or less the center of the part you used for The Star. Intentional, or happy accident?

3!

anabatica wrote:Calabar python doesn't fit, habitat is wrong. It lives in rainforests. They are not in a rainforest.

(that said, I'm an Africaist too and I think we've just got the snake identification wrong)

I still think Calabar is the best fit. Yes, Wikipedia says they live in rainforests, but if you check the citation for that sentence, it directs to a book published in 1987. In fact, it looks like most of the article is taken from that book, Living Snakes of the World in Color. You know a source might be a little outdated when it has the phrase In Color in its title. :wink: I did a little roundup of some sources of my own, and most tend to say that yes, Calabars like the rainforest, but they may also be found in other areas:

"It has been found in rocky secondary forest and overgrown plantations with dense undergrowth." [1]
"West and Central Africa is home to a strange little snake, the Calabar Ground Boa (or is it a python?), which inhabits rainforests and plantations." [3]
"They are found in Africa and make their home in rocky forests or areas with thick vegetation." [2]


So I think it's not unreasonable to assume that a Calabar python could be found in the area Cuegan is currently traversing, either under the "overgrown plantation" or "rocky forest" habitat.
Oh, and this one is the best, emphasis mine:

"The Calabar burrowing python (Charina [Calabaria] reinhardtii) or "boa," as perhaps it should now be called, is a commonly encountered species in tropical rain forest and cultivated areas in western Africa. Known for its habit of rolling into a defensive ball, this inoffensive burrowing species is believed to cause young women to become pregnant, according to a Cameroon myth (Lawson, 1993)." [4]

Perhaps Jabberwalky should be revised to "the snakebees that seek your snatch"? :wink:
What can I say, I love me some splotchy brown snake that might get me pregnant.
All together now: THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Ketchup:
Spoiler:
XonqNopp wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Also, )) to counteract XonqNopp's evil left-parens without quoting (so I don't create more disharmonious parentheticals).


Ha, you're the first one to have figured it out the right way... :) (But now that I quoted you we have two close-parens leftover... So I fix this here: (( (oh my, these are after the corresponding close-parens... am I messing it all up? (please do not answer... (Does someone also counts the parens used in the smileys? Because if I would use them right, whenever I put :( I must close it by :)... (And what with parens in spoilers? (OK, I stop it now...

+++MESSAGE READ ERROR+++
h&2:1$qXYn;rP+BC8HK+?.9_tKe8p*+KQ9TLyWrUo*;2XDJ*6jRRkHW$m7aMFy.*mBLV%&Aa6EJMUJ0#N;aJKxucyfLS7YWl.#'NXDze*A#=3iL8M/p|L
6%>fng6;h\a#js3;rL<1lLOKf%eAK:XnBUWB$uM<fl+'U/mE#,.#X2Q/gY7M/N=E6!s;2ksI~`@`2EA+&:c!*.>KRri`n6%W=3Pyv*M<bb~!X5jZa_vD:f$mq
B2Be#RQchhU+u~%OVeVL<W#j<4u/o$e*AOuU+3did,2FtY"$_"f7h7GhF:h<K3NoF^h2+Byp._*/GcnDlKZ'KJIom:ObE#pGA6Nx5s#sD4S1y<tX@EoL@A
jLmSR#1!R#r9qJ8o/yVHSc|Kh'cc#b#4anL.*&W9Xr&,LoedvVF_F!!:xH;!H&@*WCXPKM$xRm^vOBGjDMY3c>8+*sfKH/~`/AdA@ArtM#et7#@L7*Wn
jx'TYH_B#"N3n'7oT@Iu'e`a"T3hKm|v^KxSwU4ND~bnkJ+ipXR'#Z>!PS&HjlKixZ4Iveleh,bao~Pczi,kCn:&/+'E9@QF"%^h_ALUF>j6*@!|i|G#*2/Qs3*
g9eWIg36Czpoo#.mfFd#Z#,dCORq^qhSTX*b$/g%Khxrw7of'*l*/fxV.k/^#BD%xBC"oXqMzU't_^\#VV#z%4doIS?,xauB0n@^+:MEXr#fG2v5/5=hfeTBA
N^nbJ=@&#kV0iwb>nR17;K#4!Ng3'HAOW8vP8jElL7MdvA5:r0S@87R<\0Ea^Ug8Dm&N;_POb#Q#6NFc|OewORIq7Ux2lV&/8$l/*@0m+\ylE4UPS>I
qYfJ/V4wv2AKhQH!7m8LqA%UOD*@K1+6nWH#zOx0X0FS%:I'kh~%H6#4sD/F4GU<eOc#V3I.6q|w>p\:"Myojvp6#zl*M7nB8"u|XES_k&g;8`8*qN3F>
|j382Q=m4=V/0hWA,&HN%UIiW$,3@BN6>=g"/$C`3=Z*'BD/Nv%1KU7#/z/Lt!!ko*GT2R2sXib9~,bIXm&bxBiRY>qGhL:e.!wX5@oOs%lns,`D$*K1@
/$yr95~oC9$N'|47L8LpxSNHk'VwjP

ONG:
Image
ETA: post 888! woo! Have some doughnuts to celebrate both this significant number and my return from Outside commitments:
Spoiler:
Image

The fact that they kinda look like the number 888 is no coincidence.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: Chapter 14 of the Gospel of tman2nd

Postby Vytron » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

- Blindpost -

tman2nd wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Eutychus wrote:
KarMann wrote:It's here! It's here! and it's so random!


Well, given your ninja-fu above, I simply had no option but to postthe new thread instead :P

Oh and thanks Copernicium112 for that image!

HERETIC! YOU WILL BURN FOR YOUR SIN! THERE BE ONLY OTT! AND OTC!

If the other comics are heretical than, why does the Great Lord Randall create them.


I've said it before, it's because Great Lord Randall is an Heretic Outsider which doesn't post on the OTT or even follows his comic in real time. But it's all fine, [heresy]heresy is good![/heresy]
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Your ad here. No, seriously! It's free! PM me if interested.
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

anabatica
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:32 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby anabatica » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I still think Calabar is the best fit. Yes, Wikipedia says they live in rainforests, but if you check the citation for that sentence, it directs to a book published in 1987. In fact, it looks like most of the article is taken from that book, Living Snakes of the World in Color. You know a source might be a little outdated when it has the phrase In Color in its title. :wink: I did a little roundup of some sources of my own, and most tend to say that yes, Calabars like the rainforest, but they may also be found in other areas:

"It has been found in rocky secondary forest and overgrown plantations with dense undergrowth." [1]
"West and Central Africa is home to a strange little snake, the Calabar Ground Boa (or is it a python?), which inhabits rainforests and plantations." [3]
"They are found in Africa and make their home in rocky forests or areas with thick vegetation." [2]


So I think it's not unreasonable to assume that a Calabar python could be found in the area Cuegan is currently traversing, either under the "overgrown plantation" or "rocky forest" habitat.


Secondary forests are ones which are growing back after some disturbance e.g. forest fire. They are still densely vegetated and forest-like, just with younger trees. Overgrown plantations would likewise have a much higher density of vegetation than we see. They seem to be in a savanna-type environment and you're not going to find evidence of Calabars living there...

I almost don't dare suggest this, but maybe ecology isn't Randall's strong point, so he drew the wrong kind of baobab and put a snake outside of its habitat range? There are places where rainforest and savanna aren't far apart (including along the Guinea Coast which has been speculated before as a potential location) so if you google "snakes of [location]" (and "trees of [location]") and ignore habitat requirements you could be misled fairly easily...

For location, I'm leaning Volta River, with them coming from the area west of the Volta in the Dahomey Gap which is quite dry. The geography doesn't match up exactly (and there's a rather large missing lagoon) but superficial features like that change from century to century...

User avatar
jjjdavidson
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm UTC
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

fatness wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Vytron wrote:
tman2nd wrote:Another thing that this reminds me of is ASMR, which I also don't have. It's a tingling sensation that feels good, which starts on the top of the head and travels down the rest of the body. The tingles are triggered by sensory experiences like crinkling, soft speaking, slow hand movements and much more.

WHAAAAT?
I have ASMR0, but I totally thought all people did :o
So most people don't feel these things?! Now that's news to me! Whoa!

Yeah! It was hidden in a ketchup post, but I had the same epiphany you did! It's weird, I kind of took it for granted...

Well you can add me to this camp. Same thing, same thought.

I don't know what to think of this ASMR business. I'm reminded of a phenomenon from when I was a kid. Whenever the barber brought clippers near my ear, I'd about come out of the barber chair, because the buzzing would cause a nearly unbearable sensation (not a pleasant one) down my neck and side, all the way into my nether regions. It was a distinctly tactile sensation, something between an electric tingling and a physical vibration. I can remember this from when I was no more than five or six years old.

At the time, nobody else seemed to understand what my problem was. It's more than just the natural urge to pull away from an unpleasant noise; it was a distinct physical sensation. I seem to have outgrown it now. But it seems to be hereditary: Both of my daughters react the same way. My wife─who has never experienced it herself─observed it in both girls before I ever thought of mentioning it. It's one of those things I wish I knew a name for, like sneezing when I come into bright light.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Vytron » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

By the way, I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but, in the Brightness enhanced version of this frame:

Image

Where's Megan shadow? Is it just more mustard by GLR?
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Your ad here. No, seriously! It's free! PM me if interested.
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

User avatar
ggh
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:45 am UTC
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:
ggh wrote:I've tried to leave the tribe and go on other journeys, but the light and warmth of the campfire keeps drawing me back. That and the crazy song that says "molpy" until the moo-molpies come home.
I bring three tarot cards from the edge of the woods: the Hanged Bot (v2 with improved edges), the Emperor and the Star.


In comparing to the second constellation picture, I found that Blitzgirl is more or less the center of the part you used for The Star. Intentional, or happy accident?

Happy accident: as much as I love BlitzGirl's posts, the positioning was driven by making Sciscitor's star the bright one. Actually, I would have liked to have put it a little further right, but because Sciscitor is to the left in the COT, I had to put it where it is to stay in the star-dense area. So, I guess Sciscitor is responsible for BlitzGirl being in the center. :)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

User avatar
TheMinim
Posts: 940
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:47 pm UTC
Location: In The Present
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby TheMinim » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:By the way, I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but, in the Brightness enhanced version of this frame:

Spoiler:
Image


Where's Megan shadow? Is it just more mustard by GLR?


Looks like a hidden molpy to me... or a raptor.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

User avatar
AnotherKevin
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:47 pm UTC
Location: Upriver in the hills
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AnotherKevin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Just wondering, as my in-OTT memory is not as good as my Outside Memory: recall back to the early Pages when we still marked events by Outside Time, and the forum mods were having their usual April 1st field day with auto-replacement text. Of all those wacky substitutions, are any still in use as OTT-special-language terms (e.g. coma, needle-pulled)?


Ic gan lurking in this needle-pulled thing at the Things that are on my side, Alex for 600! of The Madness and ic did not ken hwaet was going on. Ic still think that the needle-pulled thing is mad. But it's differently mad.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

User avatar
CasCat
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby CasCat » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:- Blindpost -

CasCat wrote:Hiya, all! I've just Blitzed through all 7332 pages since the Discovery of the Trees3; I found the Book of Aubron on about newpix 48, but had no idea this forum existed....

I made an account just to say, "HIYA!"


You... read 733 pages in a few days?

:shock:

:shock:

HIYA! I'd give you the title of BlitzGirl the Fast, if I had the power to give titles!


Well, it took almost exactly an [heresy]Outside week[/heresy]. And I kinda skimmed the whole pre-April Fool thing because it was really difficult to read....

But about a hundred pages a day on average. (Weekends help.)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

ggh wrote:I've tried to leave the tribe and go on other journeys, but the light and warmth of the campfire keeps drawing me back. That and the crazy song that says "molpy" until the moo-molpies come home.
I bring three tarot cards from the edge of the woods: the Hanged Bot (v2 with improved edges), the Emperor and the Star.
Tarot_theHangedBot.jpg

Tarot_theEmperor.jpg

Tarot_theStar.jpg

Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image

What did you use to create these? Is there a base template image you could upload/link to? I have a hankerin' to try my hand at tarot-ing.
ETA that I'd be able to work by modifying the ones you've made if I were able to remove/change text without affecting the textured background. It would look weird if there were sudden breaks in the texturing wherever there was text.
Also, ONG:
Image
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
taixzo
Posts: 1623
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:54 am UTC
Location: The Present

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Location: Newpage 447 of 760.
Blitzpost from the end of the first eon.

Spoiler:
Time is fading. The thread is growing tense, waiting for the approaching end of Time.

There is much debate about what the actual meaning of a shade of grey is. Color profiles are discussed, compared between browsers, and debated.

tman2nd continues to wax oracular.
tman2nd wrote:
azule wrote:Prediction: The fade to white will be a time fade. We will pick up after their adventure concludes. During the fade out we get to preview the destruction of the sea. During fade in, we see LaPetite barely escaping. ~30 frames is plenty of time for her to disappear and for M&C to then appear after full fade in.


Maybe we will see LaPetite entering in the last few frames of the fading.


tman2nd wrote:Well, the second coming of LaPetite was anticlimactic. :(
Now we can wait for her third coming! :D


ChronosDragon made me burst out laughing:

ChronosDragon wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:There once was a comic on xkcd;
Sand castles by a sea of semencoffee.
It started to fade,
The timewaiters all prayed,
And la Petite returned! "Holy Shit," says me!!!!


There once was a comic, so sweet
with a little girl name La Petite.
But she came and went
and all hope was spent...
The little bitch!


I see you've opted for the 1122bitch rhyme scheme. Popular amongst drunk limerickers.


BlitzGirl caught up to the present, just before the fading completed…and LaPetite reentered, in the very next newpix. I am now of the firm opinion that LaPetite represents BlitzGirl.

That's all for now. Hope to see everyone in the present eventually! I am now more than halfway through; I hope I can maintain this pace until I reach the Present.

-- Taixzo
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9121
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:<snip> It's one of those things I wish I knew a name for, like sneezing when I come into bright light.

Photic sneezing. I do that, too.

As for the snake, I'm inclined to agree, anabatica, that GLR does not spend the Time we do on analyzing the flora and fauna of a specific location.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

slinches wrote:Not much opportunity for excitement here unless a mole-molpy or giant-trapdoor-spider-molpy suddenly appears.


Yessss! I WANT SPIDERS IN THE OTC. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Then all would be complete. I love spiders.

Oh, I meant to give a giant clapping to ggh for those Tarot cards in my last post. Bravo ggh! Those are great.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
fatness wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Vytron wrote:
tman2nd wrote:Another thing that this reminds me of is ASMR, which I also don't have. It's a tingling sensation that feels good, which starts on the top of the head and travels down the rest of the body. The tingles are triggered by sensory experiences like crinkling, soft speaking, slow hand movements and much more.

WHAAAAT?
I have ASMR0, but I totally thought all people did :o
So most people don't feel these things?! Now that's news to me! Whoa!

Yeah! It was hidden in a ketchup post, but I had the same epiphany you did! It's weird, I kind of took it for granted...

Well you can add me to this camp. Same thing, same thought.

I don't know what to think of this ASMR business. I'm reminded of a phenomenon from when I was a kid. Whenever the barber brought clippers near my ear, I'd about come out of the barber chair, because the buzzing would cause a nearly unbearable sensation (not a pleasant one) down my neck and side, all the way into my nether regions. It was a distinctly tactile sensation, something between an electric tingling and a physical vibration. I can remember this from when I was no more than five or six years old.

At the time, nobody else seemed to understand what my problem was. It's more than just the natural urge to pull away from an unpleasant noise; it was a distinct physical sensation. I seem to have outgrown it now. But it seems to be hereditary: Both of my daughters react the same way. My wife─who has never experienced it herself─observed it in both girls before I ever thought of mentioning it. It's one of those things I wish I knew a name for, like sneezing when I come into bright light.


Oh! I totally get that! Not a strong repulsion from the razer, persay, but an odd sort of shiver similar to ASMR. I don't like getting haircuts though, so I'm not put in that situation too often. If it his hereditary, I'll have to ask my family members if they get it at all...

Vytron wrote:By the way, I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but, in the Brightness enhanced version of this frame:
Spoiler:
Image


Where's Megan shadow? Is it just more mustard by GLR?


Wait...is this real or fake? I don't remember seeing any "brightness-enhanced" versions of frames back when I was ketchupping this section...
Image

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 2068
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cellocgw » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:By the way, I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but, in the Brightness enhanced version of this frame:

Spoiler:
Image


Where's Megan shadow? Is it just more mustard by GLR?


Now you've done it! Folks will be grabbing every single frame w/ a hint being in the daytime and creating their own "ooh look enhanced shadows" takeoffs :D
I, for one, welcome our new shadow-creating overlords. Or something.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Wait...is this real or fake? I don't remember seeing any "brightness-enhanced" versions of frames back when I was ketchupping this section...

Bridges for sale. Bridges for sale.
Step right up, gettcher bridges.
Cheep too.

Hmmm. Kid, you bin had.

Buy one bridge and we'll brightness-enhance it for you for free. Honest. No rly.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
ggh
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:45 am UTC
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
ggh wrote:I've tried to leave the tribe and go on other journeys, but the light and warmth of the campfire keeps drawing me back. That and the crazy song that says "molpy" until the moo-molpies come home.
I bring three tarot cards from the edge of the woods: the Hanged Bot (v2 with improved edges), the Emperor and the Star.
Tarot_theHangedBot.jpg

Tarot_theEmperor.jpg

Tarot_theStar.jpg

Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image

What did you use to create these? Is there a base template image you could upload/link to? I have a hankerin' to try my hand at tarot-ing.
ETA that I'd be able to work by modifying the ones you've made if I were able to remove/change text without affecting the textured background. It would look weird if there were sudden breaks in the texturing wherever there was text.

I've got something a bit obscure, but I'm sure we can work something out. I'll PM you. :)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Wait...is this real or fake? I don't remember seeing any "brightness-enhanced" versions of frames back when I was ketchupping this section...

Bridges for sale. Bridges for sale.
Step right up, gettcher bridges.
Cheep too.

Hmmm. Kid, you bin had.

Buy one bridge and we'll brightness-enhance it for you for free. Honest. No rly.


Does it count as having been had if I'm already questioning it? :P

But, you're right, he got me good. I'm just confused what bridges have to do with it?
Image

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

more vegetatiONG
Image
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:more vegetatiONG
Image

That's an interesting plant. What does one search with when trying to find the name of an interesting plant?
Edit: Plant Pope! I demandp our royal plantologists do a plant-scan and figure out this guy and his implications!

ppretty please :mrgreen:
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 102 guests