1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:43 am UTC

Blindpost:
HAL9000 wrote:Oh! This is a little belated, but happy 15th post, mscha!

Thanks. Have some belated cake, y'all.
ImageImageImageImage
(I wonder if this message will increase my post count to 10000... Edit: no. Image)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Swein

Postby Swein » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:55 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Inspired by FullOfIt's remark; perhaps what Megan heard was a band of Knights Temporal travelling through the newpix on their steeds:

Spoiler:

Ho ho ho! Great work BG! :D
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

Swein

Postby Swein » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:59 am UTC

Icalasari wrote:What is this ong stuff all about?

Well, it started with a simple DONG (or something related...) and then just went out of hand.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:59 am UTC

Swein wrote:The saga of the chirpONG ends...

It must be high frequency if she can hear it and he can't. (And, he must not be much younger than she is.)
I was at a demo once of how younger people could hear higher frequencies than older, I was supposed to not hear anything beyond the first two sounds, but I heard all but the last two. But I expected that, I often hear things others don't. (Like the light bulb filaments vibrating.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:00 am UTC

starz-ONG
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:02 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:starz-ONG

Very clearly she saw a dark knight of Blitzgirl's, only recognisable because he screened a few stars.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

foilman

Postby foilman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:12 am UTC

So something was flying at night making chirping noises... probably a bat?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:16 am UTC

I'll stay with my spaceships theory, thank you very much. They can obscure stars to (if the stealth mode isn't busted).
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:19 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:COMACOMACOMACOMACOMACHAMELEONG, to ONG a phrase htom seemingly brought up first in the OTT.

Does she mean temperature or level of "neatness"???

Hipsters climbing mountains before they were cool?
Do stick figures have hips?
If a sphere has 4*pi ster(adians) how much is a hip-ster?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:19 am UTC

''SIR, a Dark Knight is decloaking at 11"1
- "He should have done earlier. No capes."

1Edit: I'm not sure about the English language. What's the phrase for spotting incoming targets? :)
Last edited by higgs-boson on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:22 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:
I guess that should be stumpists not stumpests.

At least I didn't say "strumpets". That would have been embarrassing.

(Which is something I'm well known for. Foot-keyboard-disease. And making a fool.)

An all-girl brass band: Strumpets with Trumpets.

(thanks, folks, I'll be here all NewPix. Try the molpyveal)

(edit added to avoid DP)
ucim wrote:
cueball wrote:Are you hearing quiet chirps?
Megan: Yeah. Who could be calling at this time? (pulls out cellphone)
Voice on phone: molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine! grapevine!

Jose
(Hmmm... wouldn't that be a great cell phone ring?)

Easy enough to do so. Start with someone who has a good voice, record him/her, and download to your phone via bitpim
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:37 am UTC

Some evidence in the current np that Cueball is actually thinking. Seems a bit unusual. Do others of you get the idea that Megan is the real leader of this pair and is usually the one to take initiative? Cueball following along meekly?

But here, some pondering. "HMM"

Like me: "Hmmmm"

Though my meaning often is more like "Maybe you want to think about that again, Bub". I'd guess Cueball's HMM is not the same. More like Jose's pondering on cell phone ringers.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:50 am UTC

May be he is talking about a hidden Markov Model.

Yes, that's just the top Google reply on "Wiki HMM". No I haven't got a clue as to what it is.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

Noth-ONG

ETA: Warning to Blitzers. The following is not correct and is updated in a future post. Wait for it.

According to wikipedia, GLR lives in the general vicinity of 40°41′18″N 75°12′59″W (NO, not exactly there, within a few miles/kilometers/tensOfMegaPixels). I've asked in the past for people to tell everyone about their handle and some have also told of the background of their avatars. Please continue that. But I'd also be interested to know who here lives the farthest (Jupiter not counting) from the abode of GLR. Coordinates or named places acceptable. Approximate great-circle distance also appreciated.

Neil_Boekend wrote:May be he is talking about a hidden Markov Model.

Yes, that's just the top Google reply on "Wiki HMM". No I haven't got a clue as to what it is.

That would be deep of Cueball, but the newpix says maybe not.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

akacat

Postby akacat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
My parents' cat mimics their sneezing, so there's precedent. (It's hilarious, in part because it sounds fake, as it should, and because the cat is usually half-asleep when it does it, because the real sneeze woke it.)
Wow, I'd probably laugh at that until I fell over, then try to get the poor thing to do it again! :lol:

I pretty much fell out of my chair the first time I heard it. It just gave me the "I have no idea what you find so funny" glare.

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Eternal Density wrote:
ucim wrote:
cueball wrote:Are you hearing quiet chirps?
Megan: Yeah. Who could be calling at this time? (pulls out cellphone)
Voice on phone: molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine! grapevine!

Jose
(Hmmm... wouldn't that be a great cell phone ring?)

Yes. Yes it would...

It might well do! Here's an mp3 then, if anyone's actually crazy enough to want it.

That is fantastic! Now I just have to figure out how to get it on my phone. :D

SBN wrote:I was at a demo once of how younger people could hear higher frequencies than older, I was supposed to not hear anything beyond the first two sounds, but I heard all but the last two. But I expected that, I often hear things others don't. (Like the light bulb filaments vibrating.)

I can still hear most of those sounds at 50. It straddles a fine line between "neat" and "really, incredibly annoying".

ETA: Edited about a billion times to fix nested quotes.
Last edited by akacat on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:16 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

Want to know about my handle or my avatar?

Handle: Loved the word 'Minim' since first hearing it, has some similarity to my real name, started calling myself that about 3 years ago, and it has become my online identity in a way. The 'The' is because there's a plain 'minim' who is a member on here and because determiners are cool.

Avatar: Based on a pattern I cane up with 9 or more years ago, but instead of with random colours, it's with rainbow colours from outside to centre.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Noth-ONG
According to wikipedia, GLR lives in the general vicinity of 40°41′18″N 75°12′59″W (NO, not exactly there, within a few miles/kilometers/tensOfMegaPixels). I've asked in the past for people to tell everyone about their handle and some have also told of the background of their avatars. Please continue that. But I'd also be interested to know who here lives the farthest (Jupiter not counting) from the abode of GLR. Coordinates or named places acceptable. Approximate great-circle distance also appreciated.

My distance to GLR is approximately 6*103 km, as I live within 52N 6E (rounded)
My handle is Neil because once upon a time I had long hair that hung over my shoulders, my friends thought I looked like Neil from the Young Ones, so a nickname was born. During my studies most students and some teachers thought it was my real name. Boekend was tacked on because Neil was already taken (as it usually is).
My avatar is from the series Torchwood. I chose it because it looked so innocent to those who haven't seen the series and so extreme wrong to those who have seen it. Of course it was massively prettified25 by BuffyGirl.

25Wrong footnote. It wasn't a subtext, it was a suptext.
25 How did my Firefox spellchecker know that word? Isn't it made up?

Edit: Sorry, language mismatch. I used O instead of E in the coordinates. In Dutch east is oost, hence the mistake.
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:34 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

he/him/his

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

Yeah, I can hear the high-frequency sounds as well, like the sound an old TV makes when it is on but showing no picture. It can be irritating. Appropriately enough, this annoyance has been weaponized and is known as "The Mosquito." (IT'S ALL RELATED.)

charlie_grumbles wrote:Some evidence in the current np that Cueball is actually thinking. Seems a bit unusual. Do others of you get the idea that Megan is the real leader of this pair and is usually the one to take initiative? Cueball following along meekly? <snip>

Yep, I felt that way 200 newpages ago exactly:

BlitzGirl wrote:Cueball's just dead weight anyway. Everyone knows that Megan is the driving force of the OTC. Rereading the Dialogue of Time makes that very clear.

BlitzGirl wrote:And Cueball's nice in his own goofy sort of way, he made the Recursive Sandcastle, after all. He's quite endearing, and I can see why Megan hangs out with him. But Megan's the one that seems to initiate most of Cuegan's actions, I've noticed. Expanding the Sandcastle, bringing the Poles, swimming in the semencoffeecancerbabies Sea, deciding to go find out about the Rivers, maintaining that they need to continue, etc. She's a can-do sort of gal!

Since then Cueball has done a few more things of his own initiative, but Megan still seems to be directing their actions.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

akacat

Postby akacat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

So... am I the only person who is unable to see the frames of the OTC? I can't see the most recent xkcd or the logo image either, though the what-if is unaffected.

When I tried to view the most recent comic directly from its URL, I got "412 - Precondition Failed".

(Thankfully I am able to view the OTC from http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/. But since I'm usually completely unaware of the current frame number, without all the dialogue I wouldn't be able to stay in sync.)

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:26 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:

My distance to GLR is approximately 6026 km, as I live within 52N 6O (rounded)

Hmmm. Bit mystified here. I don't recognize the system. 52N makes sense, but 6O?? Help me please.

I live quite close to Master Randall, about 150 or so km. Anyone closer?

edited to add: Not the "chumley hmmmm". :twisted:, the puzzled one :|

Also, re phone ringers. The cat sneezing one might be pretty cool too. :twisted:

I seem to be at the editing edge for a bit here. There have been offers of marriage here, I think. Slashdot has something to say about that right NOW.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Swein

Postby Swein » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

My distance to GLR is approximately 6026 km, as I live within 52N 6O (rounded)

Hmmm. Bit mystified here. I don't recognize the system. 52N makes sense, but 6O?? Help me please.

I live quite close to Master Randall, about 150 or so km. Anyone closer?

edited to add: Not the "chumley hmmmm". :twisted:, the puzzled one :|

Also, re phone ringers. The cat sneezing one might be pretty cool too. :twisted:

I seem to be at the editing edge for a bit here. There have been offers of marriage here, I think. Slashdot has something to say about that right NOW.

6355 km for me.

O is east I guess (Norway, Denmark, Belgium etc...)

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

Since I am still in the process of contemplating the nature of chirping stars, I thought I'd check my physical distance from GLR, the Creator of Time. According to Google maps, I am approximately 640 walking miles (~1030 km) from somewhere near to GLR. 688 miles if by automobile.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

Swein wrote:
6355 km for me.

Ah yes Ost (or similar). Lots of primary/first languages here too. I was thinking too parochially. Sorry.
-- Charlie Grumbles

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Swein wrote:
6355 km for me.

Ah yes Ost (or similar). Lots of primary/first languages here too. I was thinking too parochially. Sorry.

Yes, "Ost" is exactly what it means. It's only used in this context, though. Otherwise you say "Öster".
Not to be confused with the "Ost" that means "cheese". :)

Google Earth gives my distance as 6 217 km.

foilman

Postby foilman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Move alONG.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

FullOfIt wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Swein wrote:
6355 km for me.

Yes, "Ost" is exactly what it means. It's only used in this context, though. Otherwise you say "Öster".
Not to be confused with the "Ost" that means "cheese". :)

Google Earth gives my distance as 6 217 km.

Make that Free-Range Feathered Molpys, Potatoes, and Cheese. Yes, Cheese. MMMMMMM. Preferably old and a bit stinky. But fulla holes is good too. Free-range, of course. Stands to reason.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

Yes I meant East. Post is updated

he/him/his

tastony

Postby tastony » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

16570km for me...

(Southeast Australia)

Next question - what is the greatest GCD from the GLR that is on land - on this planet?

I assume the maximum possible is around 20,000km?
Southwest corner of Australia is around 18790km, which may be pretty much as far from GLR as you can get.

South Pole is only 14500km.
I waited.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

Just to bring up some ancient horrors:
Spoiler:

he/him/his

tastony

Postby tastony » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Just to bring up some ancient horrors:
Spoiler:

If only it was as easy as hitting the "Hide" button to make it go away back in the 90s!!
I waited.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

Yep, it needs a spoiler about as badly as the flashy GIF.

he/him/his

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

Spoiler:

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthclippy M'sword wgah'nagl fhtagn
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote: I live quite close to Master Randall, about 150 or so km. Anyone closer?

117, if I've done the math correctly (no guarantees there).
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

tastony wrote:
Spoiler:

If only it was as easy as hitting the "Hide" button to make it go away back in the 90s!![/quote
Clippy-letter.PNG
Umm, NO
Clippy-letter.PNG (13.21 KiB) Viewed 15161 times

moody7277 wrote:

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthclippy M'sword wgah'nagl fhtagn[/quote]

And that would be what? South Texan?
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthclippy M'sword wgah'nagl fhtagn

Sigged. That's awesome. It's so nicely hidden until it slams you in the face.

he/him/his

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

I just needed a stupid name not too stupid. I considered this one would do.
And between me and GLR is about 3.6x106q salty water (mostly).

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:I just needed a stupid name not too stupid. I considered this one would do.
And between me and GLR is about 3.6x106q salty water (mostly).

So, not so far as Swein, I guess. (If my heresy calculator is a workin')

And, I guess we should stop lookin' for you.
http://xkcd.com/812/
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote: I live quite close to Master Randall, about 150 or so km. Anyone closer?

Is he still in Cambridge/Somerville area? If so, I'm barely (bearly?) 30 km away.
Former OTTer

foilman

Postby foilman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

ONGalong.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
fhorn wrote:

Is he still in Cambridge/Somerville area? If so, I'm barely (bearly?) 30 km away.

Wikipedia says here: 40°41′18″N 75°12′59″W, sorry. Bit farther.

Oh dear. I have it wrong. 40°41′18″N 75°12′59″W is where he was hatched/molted. I think you may be correct, actually. Part of the overcompensating galaxy, I think.

Puts Charlie a bit closer, I think. Going off to figger.

NEW COORDS FOR GLR. Please take note.
42°23′15″N 71°06′00″W
-- Charlie Grumbles

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”