1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dracomax

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

Spoiler:
slinches wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:
slinches wrote:ETA: I haven't seen an up to date stitch recently, so it's not very accurate, but they appear to have climbed less than 100q ([heresy]~600ft[/heresy]).

There you go:
intothecoolermountains.png

Okay, some calculations as promised:

Cuegan have climbed 1515 pixels (~38q or [heresy]~220 ft[/heresy]) since leaving the beautiful place by the river. That's nowhere near enough altitude to noticeably reduce the temperature. I have a working1 hypothesis that might explain this anomaly as well as the paradoxical surprise when Megball already had line-of-sight to the wow-babs:

I think the ground level is on some sort of log scale with each frame being presented in linear scale superimposed on top of it. I'm thinking of creating a composite image that has the ground rescaled to linear with some of the major features grafted back in (e.g. Cuegan and the Wow-tree grove), but I lack the time and image editing prowess to accomplish it right now.

mscha wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Oh! And excellent - km to cue(q) conversion! What would be the conversion rate? I'd like to know my distance from GLR in kq. as well as mi. and km., too.

I used the assumed approximate conversion factor listed in the OTW: 1 cue ≈ 1.75 m.

I have been using a value close to that (1q = 40 pixels = [heresy]5.8 ft[/heresy])

1For some values of "working" which are most likely to be close to that of complete BS.

I'm not sure a log scale would help. For one thing, the big trees would be truly enormous. bigger than RL could be. For another, it would make the scenes we were shown make less sense-falling from a cliff the hight of you after a snake shows up is one thing. falling from one twice or more your size is another thing entirely.

No, I think there must be something else going on here causing the cooler feeling. maybe climbing out of lowlands put them in an area where cooler winds can actually reach them. maybe it's just that they have gotten away from the temperature moderating influences of sea and river.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

The masters of the OTT may be enforcing the double post rule.
Or not
Or just for frequent posters
Or not
Carry on and
Wait for it

(not a Haiku)
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Oh! And excellent - km to cue(q) conversion! What would be the conversion rate? I'd like to know my distance from GLR in kq. as well as mi. and km., too.

I used the assumed approximate conversion factor listed in the OTW: 1 cue ≈ 1.75 m.

Oh yes. That puts me some...math was never my strong subject...no, divide not multiply...carry the er.... some 83 kq (kilocue) from GLR.

BlueCrab wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
Come with me,
and you'll be in a world of pure baconcaffeination
Take a look
And you'll see
Into GLR's imagination

We'll begin
With Newpix
Waiting for
The world of his creation
What we'll see
Will defy
Explanation

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anytime you want to, post it
Wanta change the OTT?
There's nothing
To it

There is no
Thread I know
To compare with
OTT each Newpix
Living there
You'll be free
If you truly wish to be

Wanta change the OTT?
There's nothing
To it

There is no
Life I know
To compare with
Pure OTT information
Living there
You'll be free
If you truly
Wish to be

How did I miss this wonderful song by ChronosDragon Dracomax!? I shall sing all the long dix todix!

As to those would-be heretics who believe a readable chirp should be unfitting of the GLR, remember, his will is ineffable! Shall he will it that we read the 'chirp', that he judge our auditory functions unfit to hear the chirp of Time, then so be it. There is a chirp.

Edit: To correctly attribute the wonderful song contributed by Dracomax
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
Come with me,
Take a look
And you'll see
Into GLR's imagination

We'll begin
With Newpix
Waiting for
What we'll see
Will defy
Explanation

Wanta change the OTT?
There's nothing
To it

There is no
Thread I know
To compare with
OTT each Newpix
Living there
You'll be free
If you truly wish to be

Wanta change the OTT?
There's nothing
To it

There is no
Life I know
To compare with
Pure OTT information
Living there
You'll be free
If you truly
Wish to be

ChronosDragon, I don't know what to say. That is, quite simply, beautiful. I don't suppose the gent with the sweet tenor would want to record that? (Yappobiscuits? Apologies to the true singer if that's wrong.)

How did I miss this wonderful song by ChronosDragon!? I shall sing all the long dix todix!

As to those would-be heretics who believe a readable chirp should be unfitting of the GLR, remember, his will is ineffable! Shall he will it that we read the 'chirp', that he judge our auditory functions unfit to hear the chirp of Time, then so be it. There is a chirp.

I wonder how ChronosDragon is going to react when he finds out he wrote that song? :wink:
“have i gone mad?

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

- Blindpost -

Earthling on Mars wrote:The Dark Lord

Chapter 1 - 2

Still loving all the related content people are producing (Like ggh's tarot cards0!), still more interesting than watching Megball and Cuegal going around the land :mrgreen:

ChronosDragon wrote:
Vytron wrote:By the way, I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but, in the Brightness enhanced version of this frame:
Spoiler:

Where's Megan shadow? Is it just more mustard by GLR?

Wait...is this real or fake? I don't remember seeing any "brightness-enhanced" versions of frames back when I was ketchupping this section...

It's fake but I loved the reactions of you xuys :mrgreen:

And since people seem to love closing these:

((((((((((((((((
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
Come with me,
Take a look
And you'll see
Into GLR's imagination

We'll begin
With Newpix
Waiting for
What we'll see
Will defy
Explanation

Wanta change the OTT?
There's nothing
To it

There is no
Thread I know
To compare with
OTT each Newpix
Living there
You'll be free
If you truly wish to be

Wanta change the OTT?
There's nothing
To it

There is no
Life I know
To compare with
Pure OTT information
Living there
You'll be free
If you truly
Wish to be

ChronosDragon, I don't know what to say. That is, quite simply, beautiful. I don't suppose the gent with the sweet tenor would want to record that? (Yappobiscuits? Apologies to the true singer if that's wrong.)

How did I miss this wonderful song by ChronosDragon!? I shall sing all the long dix todix!

I wonder how ChronosDragon is going to react when he finds out he wrote that song? :wink:

Did he not? In my haste to not be discovered on the OTT whilst at work, did I misread the quote? I feel I have missed something important, suddenly. :oops:

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
slinches wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:
slinches wrote:ETA: I haven't seen an up to date stitch recently, so it's not very accurate, but they appear to have climbed less than 100q ([heresy]~600ft[/heresy]).

There you go:

Cuegan have climbed 1515 pixels (~38q or [heresy]~220 ft[/heresy]) since leaving the beautiful place by the river. That's nowhere near enough altitude to noticeably reduce the temperature. I have a working1 hypothesis that might explain this anomaly as well as the paradoxical surprise when Megball already had line-of-sight to the wow-babs:

I think the ground level is on some sort of log scale with each frame being presented in linear scale superimposed on top of it. I'm thinking of creating a composite image that has the ground rescaled to linear with some of the major features grafted back in (e.g. Cuegan and the Wow-tree grove), but I lack the time and image editing prowess to accomplish it right now.

mscha wrote:

I have been using a value close to that (1q = 40 pixels = [heresy]5.8 ft[/heresy])

1For some values of "working" which are most likely to be close to that of complete BS.

I'm not sure a log scale would help. For one thing, the big trees would be truly enormous. bigger than RL could be. For another, it would make the scenes we were shown make less sense-falling from a cliff the hight of you after a snake shows up is one thing. falling from one twice or more your size is another thing entirely.

No, I think there must be something else going on here causing the cooler feeling. maybe climbing out of lowlands put them in an area where cooler winds can actually reach them. maybe it's just that they have gotten away from the temperature moderating influences of sea and river.

It's entirely possible that there are other effects contributing to the apparent temperature change, but I still think the overall terrain needs to be on some sort of exaggerated scale to make sense.

Maybe I didn't explain my hypothesis very well. The trees, ledges, molpies, etc. contained in each frame are linearly scaled, only the overall average ground level is on the log-ish scale. The process I was thinking of was to remove all of the features from the panorama that have a defined height, then rescale what's left and place all of the removed features back in unscaled and shifted up to match the new elevation.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:45 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
Spoiler:

Ooh. Another OTC first? Is this the first visual representation of sound? Its not that cheesy, but its a bit weird that we didn't hear the earlier chirps. This one must be much louder.

Not if you count the "ribbit" from frame 1438.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:45 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
Come with me,
Take a look
And you'll see
Into GLR's imagination

We'll begin
With Newpix
Waiting for
What we'll see
Will defy
Explanation

Wanta change the OTT?
There's nothing
To it

There is no
Thread I know
To compare with
OTT each Newpix
Living there
You'll be free
If you truly wish to be

Wanta change the OTT?
There's nothing
To it

There is no
Life I know
To compare with
Pure OTT information
Living there
You'll be free
If you truly
Wish to be

Did he not? In my haste to not be discovered on the OTT whilst at work, did I misread the quote? I feel I have missed something important, suddenly. :oops:

Actually, I'm fairly sure it was bluecrab who mis-attributed the song.
“have i gone mad?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
I'm not sure a log scale would help. For one thing, the big trees would be truly enormous.

There's nothing wrong with a log scale... so long as you're careful. It's easy to fall off it. //ducks
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
I'm not sure a log scale would help. For one thing, the big trees would be truly enormous.

There's nothing wrong with a log scale... so long as you're careful. It's easy to fall off it. //ducks

The problem with a log scale is that it's made of wood. If you try to weigh something to heavy, it snaps, and you get splinters in your eye.
“have i gone mad?

Purplepants77

Postby Purplepants77 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

Okay guys, I really have to post a reply now for a couple reasons. Just so you are aware, I am back on NP 638 and the most recent newpix shows Megan eating the berries that Cueball brought back from near the old camp area he found. Hopefully this is a reasonable length post, I think it will be, despite my longwindedness. ;)

General
Spoiler:
First, I'd like to say wow! The filk of The Raven by Rule 110, Hotel California by HES, and the latest addition(s) of the story by ucim are all fantastic! (Among just about everything else going on) All y'all are so good at this game! I think I'm going to submit my own filk(s) soon because this is getting good.

I'm also really loving all the hats! And the hilarious image manips!! And the all the advanced CSI work you guys are doing!;) I finally understand the origin of all this "molpy" stuff, the Mopey Molpy Mome, the Peppy Pulpy Pope and all related shenanigans. Now if only I could get to the bottom of this double dactyling business....

Also, thanks to mathrec, it looks like Sudoku are the new Haiku.1

Edit: Also!! I forgot about Sciscitor's awesome quote constellations! That was really cool, and I could find me! (I was bigger than expected) I also meant to mention the cool map of the OTC that I haven't looked at since the first version of for fear of spoilers. Why is everybody so cool?

Near and dear to me :)
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
fatness wrote:
Dracomax wrote:you may be placed in the foam maiden(it's like the iron maiden, but made out of the tthe memory foam they use in mattresses.)

Is it comfy?

I dunno. All the commercials say so.

I'd like to take this time to announce that I am a chemical engineer and I work for what is probably the largest foam producer in America (and maybe beyond) and memory foam mattresses make up a large portion of our business. (Keep in mind that while we have our own consumer products division, we are typically the foam *producer* not the final seller)

Admittedly, I'm only a year out of college and only 6 months with this position, and most of my work is not specific to the foam mattresses, but still!I will tell you, they are comfy. Very comfy. I got one through our company quite cheap which is a "generic" not even a "cream of the crop2" type mattress that most of our customer companies use and it is very nice. Having slept on a relatively cheap twin mattress all my life, a brand new king size memory foam mattress really does the trick! :P

Just thought I would put my 2 cents in on that!

Footnotes3
Spoiler:
1 In that they are running rampant in the OTT!
2 Really, everything we make is good if you ask me. Cream of the crop just means a lot more design and ingenuity goes into it than the "basic/standard" type. In the grand scheme of things, they are all still foam mattresses and they are all still very good as long as you get the right firmness.
3 Yeah, I made you work for the footnotes. Its good exercise I hear.4
4 Plus they might actually be spoilers if you don't know what I'm going to say :P

Last edited by Purplepants77 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Still blitzing away and will be for some time.

Current Location: NP 1432
NP from Present: 891
Current Progress: 61.6%

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

Image = MURDER!

I see that and raise you a Tool:

"Disgustipated"

And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber.
And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself.
And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own midwest.
And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil.
One thousand, nay, a million voices full of fear.
And terror possesed me then.
And I begged,
"Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?"
And the angel said unto me,
"These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots! You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust."
And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared,
"Hear me now, I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!"
Can I get an amen? *baah* Can I get a hallelujah? *baah* Thank you, Jesus.

Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on........
This is necessary.

shurikt wrote:A Joke:

Two OTTers were walking together along the sea1 whereupon they discovered some tracks.
The first OTTer says to the second OTTer, "Them's molpy tracks."
The second OTTer replies, "Nonsense. Them's beesnake tracks."
Spoiler:
Then the train came.

1Oblig. footnote. Can you tell I'm waiting for a report to run?
Except, beesnake don't make tracks, they fly. :?

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

azule wrote:Except, beesnake don't make tracks, they fly. :?

We've seen more tracks of beesnake than of anything else. They were among the white pixels, true, but tracks they were, none-the-less.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

The problem with a log scale is that it's made of wood. If you try to weigh something to heavy, it snaps, and you get splinters in your eye.

But log scales will float, like small rocks, apples, gravy, and ducks. That is sometimes useful, is it not? They burn like witches, as well.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

A Quick Five-Page Ketchup Bath

Mohan Takes a Bath in Ketchup to Raise Money for Charity

A quick dip in some ketchup...

AluisioASG wrote:So, here we go: The Last Time Waiter, Chapter ?: The Apprentice

Very nice AluisioASG! I'm looking forward to see what happens as the creature takes the path in front of him.

Dracomax wrote:Come with me,
Take a look
And you'll see
Into GLR's imagination

Awesome!!!! :D Very well done, Dracomax!

ucim wrote:
cueball wrote:Are you hearing quiet chirps?
Megan: Yeah. Who could be calling at this time? (pulls out cellphone)
Voice on phone: molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine! grapevine!

Jose
(Hmmm... wouldn't that be a great cell phone ring?)

Yes!!! This -- exactly what I was thinking! :lol: I'm not sure if I should be comforted or concerned that the OTT is a place where others think like me... :shock:

FullOfIt wrote:This here is one of the many reasons I love not only this thread but the entire forum. Many of the great books I've read I have found because of recommendations here. Including GEB, which I haven't finished reading though...

I don't know if anyone ever really "finishes" that book. I've read it several times since the '80s, and have picked it up and gotten things out of various sections a multitude of times.

FullOfIt wrote:Turns out I had got a (temporary) tinnitus which was exactly the same frequency as a mosquito. Talk about annoying!

I have it permanently in my left ear -- the one that faced my amp. Even though I finally opted for sanity and earplugs in my mid-twenties, the damage had already been done from my teens -- I just didn't realize it at that time. The noticeable tinnitus didn't show up until my 40's. [soapbox] So to any musicians out there who dabble in loud music -- PLEASE use ear protection! [/soapbox]

BlitzGirl wrote:Inspired by FullOfIt's remark; perhaps what Megan heard was a band of Knights Temporal travelling through the newpix on their steeds:

Brilliant!!! I love it! :D

Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:

Neil_Boekend wrote:
moody7277 wrote:ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthclippy M'sword wgah'nagl fhtagn

Sigged. That's awesome. It's so nicely hidden until it slams you in the face.

Someone please explain this to me... Something about MS Word clippies? :oops:

Uh, ok, I'm too stupid to figure it out -- Could be Klingon for all I know... *shrug*

And, also: Do we now need these lyrics for yappo's awesome tune?

"Chirpy, chirpy, chirpy, chirpy, chirpy, chirpy, chirpy, chirpy, chirpy, chirpy, chirpy, Ribbit! Ribbit!!!"
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

ALONG...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:This may be beyond the reach of the comfy chair, but [heresy] does anyone else find the 'chirp' to be a little, well, not up to the GLR's usual standards? [/heresy] [continuing heresy] Cheesy? Twee??? [/continuing heresy]
Pelt away, Inquisitors.

I think that if you read some of that Paglia woman's books you may have a more enlightened attitude to what you are probably perceiving as a pop-culture "chirp".
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

BigDaddy

Postby BigDaddy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
ergman wrote:
Spoiler:

Ooh. Another OTC first? Is this the first visual representation of sound? Its not that cheesy, but its a bit weird that we didn't hear the earlier chirps. This one must be much louder.

Not if you count the "ribbit" from frame 1438.

There was also the *cough* when they went for a swim.

ETA: You could also argue that any of the text would be a visual representation of sound.
Last edited by BigDaddy on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Come with me,
Take a look
And you'll see
Into GLR's imagination

Awesome!!!! :D Very well done, Dracomax!

Dracomax...you wrote the song! You must take credit where credit is due. Wonderful!

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

@kenmelken - rhomboidal
Spoiler:
kenmelken wrote:I've always hoped that one day rhomboidal, the great founder-patriarch of the thread would return again and chip in his thoughts on what the thread he started had become.

[horrible-thought]Can the person who started a thread...delete it?[/horrible-thought]

@BlitzGirl - stumps
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Edit: Alternate theory I thought of while writing this post: The stumps were actually chirping. They are not stumps, but a particularly sneaky breed of molpy cleverly disguised as stumps. :P

Stolpies? Molpumps?

@charlie_grumbles - distance from GLR
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:According to wikipedia, GLR lives in the general vicinity of 40°41′18″N 75°12′59″W (NO, not exactly there, within a few miles/kilometers/tensOfMegaPixels). I've asked in the past for people to tell everyone about their handle and some have also told of the background of their avatars. Please continue that. But I'd also be interested to know who here lives the farthest (Jupiter not counting) from the abode of GLR. Coordinates or named places acceptable. Approximate great-circle distance also appreciated.

Mars counts though? I guess I'd be the farthest then.

(Actually, I live about 200 miles (= 300 km) less than 100 miles (= 150 km) away by the new coordinates!)

And finally, Vytron said something that must be fixed:

))))))))))))))))

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

- Blindpost -

mscha wrote:Oh, almost forgot:

Yummy! I love finding such past presents on my travels, thanks mscha!

Also, just before people beat me to it:

MEGAN IS MINE!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
slinches wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

There you go:

mscha wrote:

Or the weather might simply have turned colder.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
slinches wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

There you go:

mscha wrote:

You and your using occam's razor. Didn't you hear that that blade has no place here?
“have i gone mad?

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
slinches wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

There you go:

mscha wrote:

Perhaps a cold front moving in? Oh dear...tut tut, looks like rain...perhaps?

thirds

Postby thirds » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Or the weather might simply have turned colder.

I think the chirping just made the area noticeably more hip.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
mscha wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
slinches wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

There you go:

mscha wrote:

Perhaps a cold front moving in? Oh dear...tut tut, looks like rain...perhaps?

Or maybe the mountains are made of ice*?

*caffeinated and lightly-inseminated, of course...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:- Blindpost -
Also, just before people beat me to it:

MEGAN IS MINE!

Sorry Vytron, I'm afraid you can't do that.
Megan (or her haed, at least) is part of the Four-Oh-Three.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Hmmm. Measuring with the log scale.

Actually, it is
Measure with a micrometer
mark with chalk
cut with an axe
If it still doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer.

Also, splinters. & a busted thumb.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

newpixbot wrote:ALONG...
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot

Y'all too busy posting to keep an eye on the OTC? Image

The next scene is promising to be something spectacular. (Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.)

The chirp in the past two newpix was either one very long chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirp, or it's a very constant, monotone chirping: they are identical, pixel for pixel.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
FullOfIt wrote:Turns out I had got a (temporary) tinnitus which was exactly the same frequency as a mosquito. Talk about annoying!

I have it permanently in my left ear -- the one that faced my amp. Even though I finally opted for sanity and earplugs in my mid-twenties, the damage had already been done from my teens -- I just didn't realize it at that time. The noticeable tinnitus didn't show up until my 40's. [soapbox] So to any musicians out there who dabble in loud music -- PLEASE use ear protection! [/soapbox]

It is too late for me as well. Too many raves in the mid-to-late 90's dancing right by the speakers. I still stand in the optimal listening zone (which I found out in my 20s is NOT right by the speakers.. haha), but now wear ear-plugs. Since I didn't start wearing ear plugs until my 30s, well. Yeah. Too late. I have to sleep with a fan on, or any other thing that produces white noise, else I'll hear the constant wheeeeeeeeeeeeen in my ears. :?
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

CHIRPONG

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:CHIRPONG
Spoiler:

I'm afraid it could be the chirping of the dreaded (and deceptively innocent-sounding) molpylion. Could this be the end of the OTC???

[ERROR: Footnote missing]We haven't had a doomsday prediction in awhile, TYVM
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

This is a new CHIRP, apparently a bit louder than the previous one.

Hmm, I wonder that that white thingie is, just right of the rightmost tree...
It's pretty rare for an object in the background of an OTC frame to be anything but black.

ETA:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Y'all too busy posting to keep an eye on the OTC?

Work keeps interrupting me. I'll try to do better.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

mscha wrote:This is a new CHIRP, apparently a bit louder than the previous one.

It's pretty rare for an object in the background of an OTC frame to be anything but black.

ETA:
Spoiler:

It's probably a smoke detector with a battery that needs replacing...

thirds

Postby thirds » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Molpies that chirp (based on extensive webternetresearch):
    Birdosaurs of all varieties
    Bats
    Insects - crickets, grasshoppers especially, also many beetles
    Squirrels, chipmunks, hamsters
    Certain species of monkeys like capuchins
    Chirping frogs
    Some vipers
    A rare spider here and there
    And. .... ... ... ...
The Lowland streaked tenrec, the only mammal that uses quills on it's back to make a chirping sound, and is endemic to Madagascar. Also, looks very very molpy:
Image ImageImageImage
More links:
http://www.arkive.org/lowland-streaked- ... ispinosus/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne ... 392070.stm

Edit: though, of course, the very fact that it is named "lowland" is a problem given that Cuegan is walking in some kind of highlands.
Edit2: Range described as "Found in lowland and mid-altitude rainforests and scrubland"
Edit3: Ok, there is actually also a Highland Streaked Tenrec that also chirps and lives in the central upland areas.

Look at the glory:
Last edited by thirds on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
moody7277 wrote:ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthclippy M'sword wgah'nagl fhtagn

Sigged. That's awesome. It's so nicely hidden until it slams you in the face.

Someone please explain this to me... Something about MS Word clippies? :oops:

Translation: In his house at MS Word dead Cthclippy waits dreaming

It's a modification of the Cthulu motto, because Clippy was described as an ancient horror whose squamous, non-Euclidean visage drives people insane.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

thirds wrote:Molpies that chirp (based on extensive webternetresearch):
Spoiler:
    Birdosaurs of all varieties
    Bats
    Insects - crickets, grasshoppers especially, also many beetles
    Squirrels, chipmunks, hamsters
    Certain species of monkeys like capuchins
    Chirping frogs
    Some vipers
    A rare spider here and there
    And. .... ... ... ...
The Lowland streaked tenrec, the only mammal that uses quills on it's back to make a chirping sound, and is endemic to Madagascar. Also, looks very very molpy:
Image ImageImage
More links:
http://www.arkive.org/lowland-streaked- ... ispinosus/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne ... 392070.stm
Edit: though, of course, the very fact that it is named "lowland" is a problem given that Cuegan is walking in some kind of highlands.
Spoiler:
Edit2: Range described as "Found in lowland and mid-altitude rainforests and scrubland"
Edit3: Ok, there is actually also a Highland Streaked Tenrec that also chirps.

Look at the glory:

Well, highlands... Aren't they at most a couple of hundred cue above sea level? That probably still counts as lowlands.
Nice work! Hopefully we'll know more in a few newpix.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ttscp

Re: 1190: "Time" The Story

Postby ttscp » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:This is a new CHIRP, apparently a bit louder than the previous one.

ETA:
Spoiler:

It's probably a smoke detector with a battery that needs replacing...

Way back here I argued that the OTC is a story and based on that and some assumptions about the way stories work, made a prediction that the OTC would end between 3500 and 4000 framesP. If true, we should be somewhere near the mid point of the story.

Although I'm still a storyist, I have lately begun wavering in my belief. What with all the molpyAfricaMadagascarstumptermite hunting, and practically no character development of Megan or Cueball, the OTC lately feels more like a puzzle. I have had to rest my belief largely on the existence of La Petite and that was a long time ago.

However, the chirp may save my belief. It may herald something interesting at the mid point, a point where the rising action turns down, and coincidentally may coincide with the CueGan turning back down the mountain. (This last doesn't have to happen, but it's neat in stories where it does (as in the rising/falling action tracked by Charlie's IQ in Flowers for Algernon)).

I have a lot more insightful analysis running around my head, complete with footnotes and references to Shakespeare, Hemingway and Hofstadter, but Outside has been raining deadlines and so I must limit myself to this short contribution.

|< first > next WARNING for first time readers and blitzers: the 'next' link takes you farther along in the thread and may reveal information you don't want to know...yet.

Palways make your predictions for the far future, that way nobody will remember when you are wrong and you can bring them up when you are right.

ETA: fix superscript, and yes StratPlayer, that must be what it is. Annoying as a mosquito and as hard to find.
ETA2: really fix superscript
ETA3: close parenthesis, I'm really distracted by the Outside today.
ETA3: action not acting
ETA4: navigation links
ETA5: navigation links again, I'm perfectionist what can I say?
ETA6: added warning about 'next' link
Last edited by ttscp on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:00 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”